Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    benatl. Good price, despite the exhorbitant doc fees. You really have to add those fees to the cost of the vehicle, obviously. They give you a low price, then pad it with the doc fees. Even so, you got the car at about $1,000 over invoice which is pretty good for a popular car.

Doc fees are charged for a secretary spending about 10 minutes typing up the sale documents. In Illnois, to prevent dealers from socking buyers with extra charges after agreeing to a purchase price, doc fees are limited to about $50 which is just about what it should be.
  • Options
    benatlbenatl Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, neither dealership would come off the doc. fees, but came off the base quite easily. One of them admitted that the doc. fee was pure dealer profit (perhaps she was speaking facisously, and I didn't catch the joke). In my mind, whether they discount the car or the admin. fees, it makes no difference. In principle, perhaps I'm giving in. But practically speaking, I was very pleased with the total deal.
  • Options
    'Course now that I think of it, there might be a little SouthEast dealership collusion going on. "Let's all agree that we won't discount the doc. fees in GA." I'm not entirely sure why that might work to their advantage...anyone heard of such a thing? Perhaps I'm just a conspiracy theorist...
  • Options
    stevebaltomdstevebaltomd Member Posts: 8
    Yes! With extras its below invoice. Incredible if it was on the road price...Did it include Destination, and TaxTitle, etc.
  • Options
    Oh, and at the last possible moment this morning, the dealer I won't be using drives down the price by another $500 - drive out is now $34,999. My current salesman has matched it, so, the "Ignore the Negotiation" Negotiation technique has worked. (I see that aculw used this method.)

So my advice to those looking to negotiate - don't let time become a factor. Let the dealer get nervous about YOU walking away from them.

Thanks to the folks that contribute to forums like this - it benefits all of us!!!

Ben A.
  • Options
    valuemktvaluemkt Member Posts: 1
    benatl .. sounds great .. i'm in northeast side of atl .. looking for the same thing TL w / NAV .. so far everyone .. including south of perimeter is in the high 34's .. any words of wisdom appreciated ..
  • Options
    starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    Finally bought a 2006 TL today with navigation. I got Royal Blue with Parchment color.

Believe it or not, I bought the car at David McDavid in Plano. They are the closest to my house and figured might give them a try before I head to Goodson.

At first the dealer would not deal much. First he offered MSRP, then 800 off MSRP then $2000 off MSRP.

30 minutes later I asked would he match other dealers prices. I told him the price I got from Goodson he kept saying it included other fees.

So what did I do? I showed him printouts from the other dealers(Goodson and Mach Churchhill) of the prices they offered and all. Plus I said Goodson is giving me free tint.

He kinda looked at it amazed said he would come back.

10 minutes later he came back and MATCHED Goodson's price ($32,843), gave me free tint, and even BEAT his price by $100.

Price Paid: $32,743 plus TTL and free window tint.
    Final Price: $35,061

I think I got an amazing deal. The salesman even said this is an incredible deal.

I opped for one after market item it was the body side moldings for $400. Kinda high but well worth it even after this deal. PLus very helpful in parking lots and garages if someone hits you with their door.

So give McDavid a try you might need to push and try but they will match Goodson and Mach Churchhill. Just remember to bring printouts of their quotes!
  • Options
    ziadaziada Member Posts: 2
    this is my first post on the forum. first, i want to thank all of you on such detailed and important information. i finally bought my 2006 TL Automatic with navigation, blue with gray interior. from Mcgrath Acura of morton grove, Illinois. out of the door price was $ 33.600, including destination charge ($615), mud guards, floor mats, moonroof visor, wheel locks, trunk tray, body side moldings. document fee of 55.39 was not waived by the dealer. dealer also promised installing ipod music link at cost value. experience with dealer was fast, no pressure, informed about competitors. will get the car in 3 days.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

In addition, do not include your e-mail address in your post..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    benmoshe, valuemkt - start with the internet sales at Ed Voyles and at Nalley. In all honesty, I only ever made one counter-offer, and then simply reported dealer1's price to dealer2. I went with Ed Voyles in the end, but BOTH dealerships impressed me. Nalley was more aggressive with their pricing (trying to get the the year-end, I guess), but Ed Voyles said that they would match anything. I had started with EV, and so felt like they deserved the deal in the end, since both offered the same.

I will let my sales guy at EV know that he might be hearing from y'all on the same deal I got, if that's what you need.

I will be interested in whether either of you get the $399 doc. fee removed/reduced at wherever you get the car.
  • Options
    toddartoddar Member Posts: 10
    We are buying a 2006 Acura TL w/Nave (and need some advise from you seasoned and chizeled pros. We live in Piano, TX and we have a verbal bid over the telephone from the sales manager at Goodson at $33,400 + TTL (without any dealer add on options). We are willing to go up to 150 miles to purchase the car. The questions are:

1. Is this a good price? If not, what is a

2. If not, what is the best web site to get as many bids as possible and possibly cut out the salesman's commission?

3. How do you get the dealers to place them in writing and confirm the cost is all-in (i.e. doesn't have add ons) without having to go to the dealership and get the high pressure close tactic?

4. Are the dealer installed side molding and mud flaps worth it? If so, how much should we pay? If not, is there a better after-market option?

Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    bothflybothfly Member Posts: 10
    Starman9, I think I chatted with you before. Congrat's on the new TL. I too got my TL this week.
    I think I got a great deal. I paid $32,650 for a 2006 TL/with Nav. I also got Window Tint, a Trunk Liner, Wheel Locks and Body Side Molding (they wanted to charge me $275 for the B.S.M) all included in that price. Then I also added the A SPEC package for another 5k. So I was $37,650 before TTL. There were a few issues, and I got that B.S.M added to my deal at no cost at the last minute. I had the exact same offer at Goodson, but bought the car from Mac Churchill.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Please do not offer individual salesperson information in the forums, or request same information!!

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bda1947bda1947 Member Posts: 20
    OK, I hope this helps...
    1. A good price is what YOU believe is fair.
    2. The salesman is going to show you the car, take you for a test drive,handle most of your paperwork, answer any questions you have and that is worth some money. Look for a salesperson who will EARN your business, not only give you the best price. You're buying a luxury car and you desirve to be treated well and that does hold value.
    3. Just because you go to the dealer doesn't mean you have to put up with "high pressure."
    4. Mud guards yes, side molding no.

GOOD LUCK ;)
  • Options
    socaltlbuyersocaltlbuyer Member Posts: 4
    The best price I'm getting right now in LA is little below 30,500 for TL without nav. Is anyone getting better?

thanks.
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I think that's a solid good price. The one listed earlier from DFW of a TL w/nav at $32,600 is outstanding and will be very unlikely to be repeated. OTOH, if it is, now (i.e. December, and especially the end of December) would be the only time to do so. I suggest you send out emails to all the Acura dealership in the region (use Edmunds or the Acura main website, doesn't matter, both just send an email...). Then work with the best 3 bidders and make sure they give your the estimate in total price sans TT&L (i.e. including any and all fees they feel fit to include), that way you are dealing apples to apples between dealerships.

Good luck. And finally, after you feel you've found the best price, WAIT. Don't commit, just say you'll think about it and that it's a good price. Then WAIT. I suggest 6 or 7 days. By that time, you'll receive several f/u bids from the other dealers and may sweeten the deal even further.
  • Options
    $33,400 is a good bid but not a great bid. Try to lower that by $400-500. $33,000 would be better. Goodson gives free tint with all purchases. If you don't want it you can nego. for mud flaps or body side molding instead.

I would HIGHLY recommend get the molding. If someone dings you in a parking lot it is very costly to fix the dent. Try to nego on the price of this as well.

I passed on the mud flaps. They are rather small, don't match the color of the car(unless you get black), and look kinda cheap. They were only $100 but were hardly worth $20.

All dealers in DFW give you wheel locks free regardless of price.
  • Options
    tneary78tneary78 Member Posts: 11
    My wife and I are looking for a 2004/2005 tl with low miles <15k. Most used car sites cars.com, autotrader.com, have prices around 29-31k+ttl for vehicles in our area(PA,NJ). That price seems high to me for a car that is 1-2 years old. I have not tried calling any of the dealers yet to haggle. This would be our first Acura, and were are not sure how the dealers respond to negotiating especially with preowned vehicles. The one car we are very intersted in is a 2005(no nav) with 5k miles. The price is 30,995. What would be a good number to work towards on this vehicle. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    davidh4davidh4 Member Posts: 2
    The price of 30,995 is too high. I paid exactly that for a new 2006 (no nav) at the end of October. I don't know what a good used price is but good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. It seems like the used 2004/2005 certified tls cost as much as a new one. I planned on calling the dealer tomorrow and offering him 29k with taxes included. I just wasn't sure if my number was too low. Thanks again
  • Options
    jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Anyone know if I go to the dealers' website and put in my information to get a bid, will they pull my credit?

I know they don't ask your SSN and DOB but a credit report called be pulled just as easy with address only and 123-45-6789 entered as the SSN.

I'm in for the phone book so it would be easy for them to see I'm serious and not just a prankster playing around / wasting their time.
  • Options
    I'm quite certain you won't get a new TL for $29K including TT&L. Perhaps EXCLUDING TT&L for a TL w/o nav, 29K is a very good buy.

OTOH, even if you have to pay higher for taxes, it offsets the savings by getting a car 2 years newer as far as value if you plan to resell in a few years...
  • Options
    tmoney1tmoney1 Member Posts: 1
    I was also looking into purchasing an acura TL from Chicago suburb dealers. The deal you got from mcgrath is impressive. When you say OTD price, I'm assuming you didn't include TT&L. Did you ask for the extra's or did they throw it in? The only answer I'm getting from them is "Come on in, we'll beat their price. Doesn't matter." Is any one else getting a deal like that in IL? Thanks
  • Options
    ziadaziada Member Posts: 2
    OTD price is excluding tax and title, they are not negotiable. the add-ons i asked for. they have something called protection package that includes mud flaps, all season floor mats and wheel looks. i got all add-ons with cost pricing, no installation fees. good luck with your nrgotiations.
  • Options
    I talked to the salesman today and he is willing to go to 28,800 for a 2005 demo with 9000 miles(acura certified). Does that sound resonable? I talked to a different local dealer and they quoted me 31,000 for a new TL which sounds pretty decent as well.
  • Options
    easttleasttl Member Posts: 17
    If they pull your credit in that fashion they will be breaking the law. You can get your credit reports for free once a year and see every creditor that has pulled your credit.

Jim
  • Options
    gwildcatgwildcat Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been offered an extended warranty on the 2006 TL? I will pick mine up soon and would like to know what kind of numbers to expect and to what extent it is negotiable.
  • Options
    For those interested Goodson Acura is giving incredible deals on 2006 TL's with Navigation. It is actually $40 cheaper than what I paid 3 days ago. Here is the E-mail I got today:

Season&#146;s Greetings from Goodson Acura! You recently received pricing from me for the 2006 Acura TL Navi. I have awesome news for you. From now until December 31st, you can enjoy even greater savings. We are currently offering the 2006 Acura TL Navi for the amazingly low internet special price of $32,720.
  • Options
    danimal4747danimal4747 Member Posts: 1
    Socaltlbuyer:

Where are you finding the best deals? Definitely in the market to pick up a 2006 TL with Nav in the LA Area. Look forward to your reply!
  • Options
    brian32brian32 Member Posts: 7
    I was offered the extended warranty for $1760 and Lo Jack for $1780. I did not take either one, so I am not sure how negotiable they are.
  • Options
    I just got a call from a salesperson at Montgomeryville and was given a price of $32,600 with navi, plus they are going to throw in the protection package for free. Looks like I we are not going to buy a pre-owned model.
  • Options
    Congrats! Now you're talking!
  • Options
    WOW...the lo jack here was $799 but I didn't take it seemed kinda worthless.
  • Options
    achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    Bought a 7yr 100k Acuracare from Classic in Beaumont TX for $1095, was only about $20 higher than the ebay guys so I went for it.
  • Options
    I don't think I could have gotten that price without the help of the forum. That and living within 50 miles of 4 different Acura dealers. They do seem to respond well to competitive bids from other dealers.
  • Options
    Same here David McDavid is not known to make deals. They are located in a rather wealthy part of Dallas so deals there are slim. But having many Acura dealers in the area helps A LOT.

Nobody likes seeing bids from other Acura dealers only 15-40 miles away. Glad I got the color combo I wanted from a dealer only 20 minutes away instead of 60.
  • Options
    socaltlbuyersocaltlbuyer Member Posts: 4
    I got mine at santa monica. 2006 TL no nav for 30,290. I think with nav is 2000 more but you could probably get it down little more. good luck.
  • Options
    ptwellsptwells Member Posts: 18
    socaltlbuyer,
    wow, are you serious? An 2006 non-navi for 30,290! That is the thinnest margin I've heard. Congrat's on the deal - that is the same price I was getting quoted on an 05 not long ago.
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Did that price include destination and the protection package? My internet quote session has netted a best offer of 31,770 including destination and PP so far.

30290 - I'll fly to LA and buy the effin car at that price!
  • Options
    Just got another E-mail from Goodson. Here are the offers they currently have for Acura's:

At Goodson we will honor any price you have from another dealership. Simply bring it in and we will beat it. In addition, you will receive a membership to our exclusive VIP Executive Rewards Program at no additional cost.

2006 Acura TSX $26,500
    2006 Acura TSX with Navigation $28,500
    2006 Acura TL $30,500
    2006 Acura TL with Navigation $32,800
    2006 Acura MDX Premium $34,000
    2006 Acura MDX Touring $35,750
    2006 Acura MDX Touring with Navigation $38,900
    2006 Acura MDX Touring with Nav and DVD $44,050
  • Options
    Those are some outstanding prices! I guess Christmas is truly the time to buy a new auto... :shades:
  • Options
    jfciii70jfciii70 Member Posts: 17
    Those are good prices. Was offered $28,300 at Vandergriff In Arlington on an 06 TSX with navigation. They said that was otd-no other fees except ttl.They also said if I went to Goodson, they would add fees on. I do belive them because someone posted earlier about this at Goodson.
  • Options
    toddartoddar Member Posts: 10
    Starman98, thanks for all your assistance. We just bought our 2006 Acura TL w/ Nav, wheel locks, tinted windows, side moldings and trunk tray for $32,620 + TTL with a total drive out price of $34,917.22 (no trade) from Vandergriff. The suggestions were great, they provided the deal in writing and we had no hassles (other than the pitches for the various security and protection plans). We live close to McDavid and closer to Goodson, but they would not give the same drive out package.

Boy, the year-end buys are great as they are all competing for volume rankings and trying to avoid the inventory tax. I probably could have save another $100 to $200 if I played their game longer and got closer to year end. However, we may not have gotten the color combination we wanted (Anthracite Metallic/Quartz) since there were not many left locally and the I had had enough of the e-mails and telephone calls.

Thanks Again! :D
  • Options
    m1inmanm1inman Member Posts: 1
    That is one heck of a deal. I am in the market for that exact car plus the all season floor mats and the mud flaps. I am purchasing in Houston and no one will go that low, lowest they say with navigation is $34,000 with 0 options. I will be up in Dallas over the holidays so mayby I should pay that dealer a visit!! Anyone have any luck in Houston for a TL with tint, all season floor mats, wheel locks, trunk tray, car molding and mud flaps? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    bought at classic in beaumont for 34,022 w mud flaps, trunk tray and wheel locks. 06 antracite/ebony w/nav.
    This was two weeks ago and i would think you could do a little better now.
  • Options
    marcflmarcfl Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching for a TL w/ Navigation for the past week or so in S.E. Florida. I've got the following detailed quote from a Palm Beach dealer, while I'm working with a Ft. Lauderdale dealer in-person to hopefully match/beat this deal (as lauderdale is closer to home, by 30 miles). With the exception of the documental fee of $599, this looks pretty good (from the palm beach internet sales); its seems good compared to most other recent offer posts I've seen on here, right?

Marc

Palm Beach County deal offered today (via internet):

2006 TL $32,900
    FL Tire and battery 6.50
    Dealer Fee 599
    Sales Tax @ 6% 2010.33
    Lemon Law 2
    Total $35,517.83
    Add $225 new tag
    or $110 tag transfer

Acura is offering special finance rates for those that qualify.
    Please call or email and let me know what I need to do to earn your business.
  • Options
    I didn't think Mcdavid would deal but they did after some hassle. Maybe I got the right salesman.

I paid $32,740 with free window tint, crome plate holder, and wheel locks. I had to pay for the side molding ($350 plus tax which is around $400) but Mcdavid offerend them to me free if I bought a certain color conbination. I got a newer color and only conbination on the lot so I didn't get them free.

As far as Vandergriff goes they never E-mailed me or anything except once back 2 months ago. I sent more requests and E-mails no reply. Goodson and Mack Churchhill seem to be the only ones replying by E-mail.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    It amazes me that the follow-up you get from salespeople acting on your internet quote request is minimal. Here I am, an interested buyer waiting to hear a little 'back and forth' negotiating, and it doesn't come. Are these sales guys idiots? I want to buy a TL!

Well I guess they're 'showing' cars for a living (most can't sell) so that explains their lack of aggressiveness.

In my sales efforts I'll call a guy over and over till they flat out say no. I guess I'm gonna have to go and and do the pony show routine.
  • Options
    isellem2isellem2 Member Posts: 2
    :mad: Are they (Goodson) that bad at selling cars that you have to advertise one of the hottest cars on the market
    at those prices. Where I work I would get paid a $50 flat for selling a car at that price. Tough way to make a living.
  • Options
    wooohaaawooohaaa Member Posts: 33
    Paying MSRP is OVER for the 2006 Acura TL. It was very short lived. Get over it!!! But I guess that's what happens when the only difference between the 2005 and 2006 was the Tire Pressure Monitor. Better luck next year!