Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tcltcl Member Posts: 42
    $31.5 K seems like a great deal if included destination fee of $570. I do not know how many dealers in the Bay Area. There are approx. 20 dealers in Los Angeles area within 100 miles radius. The best quote is $ 31,999 included destination for auto/ non nav. I have more than 10 quotes, most of them between $32,500 to $32,950 included destination. I expect the price will go down for next month or so even the dealers said it will not happen until mid 2005. I have more dealer response now than few week ago.
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Did you then look for an 04 instead? Are there good deals for 04 in LA area? If 05 is asking $32K what'd be a good price of 04? It seems not a good time to pick up any 05 as they just came out, and there's little change over 04 for much premium. But paying anything over $31K for 04 does not make much sense to me either, as some dealers here are still asking.
  • Options
    There is hardly any 04 left in the LA area. They must selling good. There are basically no change between the model years. If they have 04 left, they are not selling that good. This year the rain season seems to start early and the holiday coming up. I am sure the traffic will be down as the price at the dealer.
  • Options
    jerrynycjerrynyc Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering if anybody could help me out with a couple of things.
    MY 05 tl black on black w/navigaton, has a build date of October 20th ( this wednesday). Does any body know approximalty how long it takes to build the car. The dealership in brooklyn told me it takes 4 days. However, other people say it only take a few hours to build the car. They also told me it takes a week for delivery. The car is coming from Ohio. Can anyone give me their input on this issue, or the experiences?
    Im just anxious because I ordered this car back in July and still dont have it yet.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    Igiban, re: the numbers & dest chrg, I have only the total, which I repeat below: please also note that my county has a .0675 or .07 sales charge , I'm not sure whether it went up or not. The dealership charges a $100 fee and there is a $50 license fee, or $150 on top of the $31500 taxable. See what you get - perhaps mine are off a few $.
    Sir,

I have traded for your TL. It should be here Thursday morning. .....

Your total cost will be $33,814.27. That includes Franklin County (Ohio) sales tax, title and license.

I can be reached on my cell if you have any questions.

Respectfully,

Internet Sales Manager Lindsay Acura Phone 614.863.2885
    Fax 614.863.1991

Your personal ID # is xxxxx. Make sure to contact me directly to ensure your best deal.
    Visit our website at www.lindsayacura.com !
  • Options
    eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    I received mine free of charge. If they are trying to grind you for locks, beware of theprice gouging elsewhere!
  • Options
    ssemonssemon Member Posts: 9
    04's are basically gone in Southern California.

Best current quote I'v got is from Acura of Downey (so. cal area) at $34,670, for a 05 TL with Nav. Includes destination charge ($570), wheel locks, trunk tray and mud flaps.

Has anyone gotten a better quote in the L.A. Area?
  • Options
    ronaries10,
    Did your $31.5K include wheel locks, trunk tray and mud flaps?

$50 only for lic. fees? What's wrong with California....
  • Options
    Is it true that it almost always costs more to order one than buy one that's already on dealer's lot? Conventional logic seems to suggest so but I wonder what's the real world experience?
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    It depends on the dealer. I "ordered" an anthrocite/ebony 6-speed w/ Navigation and HPT package. My dealer charged me $1,000 over invoice in May. They would not sell a red 6-speed w/o HPT that had been sitting on his lot for 3+ weeks for a nickle less. Dealers in the DC area that would have charged full MSRP for anything they had to swap for, were willing to give me a few hundred dollars off a car on their lot. However, none had the exact car I was looking for and even if they had, they weren't willing to get within $1,000 of the price I got from my small home-town dealer.

Also, Acuras aren't really custom ordered from the factory to the customers specs like BMW, Mercedes or Volvo. Rather, it appears that the factory decides what it's going to build and it's up to dealers to swap future allocations among each other to get the car a customer wants. Some dealers do that with a smile, others don't want to be bothered unless you are willing to pay closer to MSRP.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    actually, logic dictates just the opposite. Every day a car sits on the dealer's lot costs them money, so, technically, they'd have to charge more on one sitting there to make the same as one just off the truck. HOWEVER, dealers more typically charge less for one sitting there. Why? I can only guess its to cut their losses and get it off their floorplan while they have the chance so they can start the process all over again with a fresh car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ptwellsptwells Member Posts: 18
    igiban,
    what dealership gave you that price? I'm looking to purchase in a few months - so starting my homework. Thanks.
  • Options
    Igiban,
    Yes to the $50. It used to be cheaper! But we forego the climate of the West for taxes!

The 31.5k $ did not include those options (locks,tray,flaps), but the car they traded for came w/ the locks and a Ziebart paint protection pkg, which they did not charge me for.

AND,I'm pleased to report I sold my creampuff 98 Camry (absol. loaded!) on the first weekend left w/ a sign on it at busy throughfare - at full price (detailed, & priced for quick sale). Everyone should have that experience at least once!

I'll be ordering flaps & all season mats & cargo tray separately. Anyone have any suggestions for an "OEM TL or nicer" supply source ???
  • Options
    I think that the best you an get now. Both Downey and Tustin owned by DCH. They have the lowest quote on Nav and non Nav so far of the 15+ quote I got so far. For some reason Tustin has the lower quote on non nav.
  • Options
    For 2005 Acura TL with Nav:

30 months - 57% residual, .0019 times money factor, so with $4,286 down, payments are $450 per month (Wells Fargo)

42 months - 57% residual, .0023 times money factor, so with $3,645 down, payments are $450 per month (USAHonda)

48 months - 49% residual, .00163 time money factor. Unsure of down for $450/month.

I'm told that USAHonda will allow you to go month to month at the same monthly fee after the term expires for up to a year. Nice if you want to stretch a term out to get a better model or better deal.
  • Options
    OK, you got me curious about those numbers, so I did some research, and the numbers reflect the '05 invoice & delivery; the county is is a quarter point lower than I thought, as shown below:

Purchase price of 05 tL auto:
    05 Invoice/deliv $ 30,552.
    Markup for 05 1000.
    Dealership 100. processing fee
    Title/Lic fee 50.
    Tax .0675 OH
    Total $33,832

Plus, I then added the 7/100 warranty for $1165 + tax (I plan to keep the car a long time - we are in our 60's!)
  • Options
    doctored5doctored5 Member Posts: 11
    I picked up my 05 TL automatic with navi for $32,873 from Jones Acura in Lancaster, PA on Saturday. I recommend them to people in the east, especially the DC area who are having difficulty getting a good deal. They were no hassle, didn't try to sell me anything I didn't want & got me the specific car I wanted within a week.
  • Options
    mfree09mfree09 Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,

I have been in recent contact with the Internet Dealer at Pohanka in regards to a 05 TL/non-navi ( I originally was inquiring about an 04 model I saw online). Here is the breakdown of the price he is offering. BMP $32,970 + VA Tax of 1053.04, Reg/Lic/Fee of 297.50. With a grand total OTD price of $34,320.54. This price also includes free wheel locks (whooo hoooo a whole savings of $49 bucks) and one free oil change. I would like anyone's feedback on this deal especially those in VA and certainly those who have dealt with Pohanka in the past. I am not certain, but the VA tax of 1053.04 just doesn't sound right to me unless the VA tax on new vehicles or vehicles period is different from the normal Sales tax for this area. What are your thoughts? Oh yeah I for got to say that I would need to provide a 1k "vehicle reservation" fee in addition, which would go towards the OTD price and is fully refundable....oh yeah the SM also said that he would give me an additional 10% discount on additional accessories (whoo hoo...I can feel my retirement plan growing leaps and bounds with all the freebies and addtional discounts).
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    That sounds like only $400 under MSRP.. And, this is from memory... But, I think VA vehicle sales tax is only around 3%.. I think someone else could probably confirm that..

I wouldn't jump on that deal... You can do that well with your eyes closed at any time..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Based on what others are paying for non-navi's, that's not a good deal. Read back on this board for about three weeks worth to get an idea of what you should be paying. I would keep looking.
  • Options
    pilotguy1pilotguy1 Member Posts: 32
    I am wondering what people have paid for their extended warranty. I have not checked into Acuras different types but the last extended warranty I bought was for my jeep just before the factory warranty ran out. There was three types and I got the most expensive one. I would have thought it would have covered just about everything but I was wrong. It did not cover my heated seats but every other thing I had go wrong was covered. With all the problems I had with the jeep I was money ahead in the end. The question I have is does anyone see a benefit to buying the extended warranty four year before you may need to use it when you buy the car? I think it makes more sense to buy it just before the manufactures warranty runs out. Does anybody agree?
  • Options
    When I purchased it last week, dealer showed me a chart w/ figures on it and said his charge was for $200 more than the costs identified. The Acura TL plan he offered (mfgr) was for $765 and $965 for the 7/75 and 7yr/100k mi plans respectively, PLUS the $200 charge. A competing dealer in town offers the latter plan for $1499.

The advantage of purchasing the plan at the same time is that you can include it in the loan and in the purchase price of the vehicle. And the price of purchasing it won't change in 4 yrs either. However, this timing issue is a consumer preference item.

I cannot say if the warranty is a "good" idea. However, the problems with rotors and trannies certainly are an incentive to consider the warranty extension ; and the extensive electronics in the car will be expensive to replace if unit failures occur.

So that' s why I chose to buy now and avoid worries.
  • Options
    Would it cost more to buy extended warranty just when the factory's expires than getting it when taking the delivery? Where do you buy it from then?

I've owned several Honda/Toyota/Lexus and have not bought an extended warranty plan for any of them. So far I have gotten away with it. Well that's part of reasons buying a Honda or Toyota I guess. I'd think an Acura deserves the same 'treatment'. But maybe that's not the case now? Do most of you who intend to keep TL long buy an extended warranty plan for it?
  • Options
    when my brother asked me if he should get an extended warranty on his 27" sony tv I told him that I still have a 17" sony I bought 20 years ago and it still works. I have bought many sonys in the past with out ever having a problem. I told him that with electronics, if it is going to break it will most likely will break with in the first year. I said why pay good money to bet against sony. After that I bought a 60" LCD rear projection sony. One month out of warranty it broke. The moral of the story is I guess you never know. I think honda is a lot like sony. I had a 86 honda crx si. I got the warranty and kept the car for 15 years and 204,000 miles. I lost money on the warranty. I have a 95 mazda rx-7, lost money on the warranty. Most of the reason for that is there is only 28,000 miles on it. I came out ahead on my jeep. For people like me on the fence for the TL warranty I guess I would have four years to find out the maintenance track record on it. But like my sony, I guess you never know.
  • Options
    pilotguy1 had a good point.. If you buy it at inception, then you can roll it into your loan..

But, if that isn't a consideration for you, I always suggest waiting.. The price is likely to be $100-$200 higher just before your warranty runs out, but you will also have the ability to shop for the best price.. You can buy it from any Acura dealer in the country.

Also, you'll have a better feel for if you even need the warranty.. If your car has been bullet-proof for four years (not unusual for an Acura), you may decide you don't want it..

And, circumstances change.. You may decide to sell your car before the four years is up, or you could lose it to theft or accident.. I always vote for waiting.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ethan007ethan007 Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

I have been trying to find some of the competitive numbers for 2004 Acura TL in Orlando FL (Courtesy dealers or Fountain Acura).

What do you guys think will be a good price OUT of Door for purchasing a 04 around this time? I am given a quote of $36k inclusing tax, registration, destination fee, floor mats, splash gaurds, wheel locks. Is that a good price?

Does any one have any previous buying experience (bad or good) with any of the dealers?

Thanks for your help.
    Ethan.
  • Options
    bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    We bought a 2003 RSX from them last October, and they were very, very nice to deal with. Yes, the sales tax is 3.1%.

We computed a price by taking the invoice price and added amounts to cover transportation, profit, tax, tag, etc. It came to $20500.

We ofered that price, they countered with $21000 and then came down to $20700. That took about 5 minutes. Since they would not accept our offer, we shook hands cordially and got up to leave.

As we were walking to our car in the parking lot, the sales manager came out and said they would accept our offer of $20500. We bought the car.

The moral to this story? Don't ask them for a price. Determine how much you want to offer and see if they will take it.
  • Options
    Ethan, you did not say if you were buying a navi or not. I will assume that since you are on this web sight, you are an informed consumer. As an informed consumer I think it would be unlikely that you could be taken that badly on a non navi. I can't say what the market is in Orlando for a 04 navi but a month ago when I tried to do a deal in Chicago for an 04 navi, I offered them 800 over invoice. The sales guy did not even try to counter with a higher offer. He got up went into the back room and came back a few moments later and said they could do it but they didn't have and could not get the ebony interior. So I thanked him and his sales manager that had recently walked up to sway me into an 05 for only 500 off list, and walked out. The next day I went back and asked if they could get the 04 I wanted from out of state for the same price. When they checked they said they could but it would have all the dealer added extras of floor mats, splash guards, wheel locks and trunk liner which brought the price up over 400 more. I said I didn't want the extras and they said they would give it to me at cost which was around 260 or 270. I said I would get back to them. That night I called them back and said I was not interested in the 04 but I would do the 05 for for 800 over the 05 invoice. After countering me with 1200 over I thanked him for his time and said I was not interested. He then said he would do it and it is currently on order for next month. The 05 will cost about 33,200 and out the door I am estimating it will be around 35,570 (no contract has been signed, just a deposit).
  • Options
    "The 05 will cost about 33,200"+$800....

Does it still include those extras?
  • Options
    Bobst (et al)

Thanks for the advice. If anyone else has any advice by all means please continue to respond. In reviewing the past postings(as was suggested) I have seen varied experiences (from one end of the spectrum to the other). I'll tell the guy thanks but no thanks and determine how much (realistically)I want to pay...(truth be told that would be nothing..... lol)
  • Options
    mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    Can't help you unless you give us the price without taxes and registration fee.
  • Options
    lotusflalotusfla Member Posts: 22
    I walked out of Courtesy Acura. A previous post (#2096) had a good deal from Ferman in Tampa.
  • Options
    I am out of town right now so I don't have my notes with me but the deal I made with my dealer should be just shy of $33,200 for only the car. That is the invoice plus $570 shipping plus 800 to bring it to around $33,200. then with the taxes title ect. it should be in the mid 35's. I did not want any of the dealer added extras.
  • Options
    I received a price of 500 off sticker price from Pohanka for a 2005 with navi. Radley would have beat it. But I ended up driving 2 hours to PA for 2600 off sticker price. & the people were much better to deal with.
  • Options
    sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    The advantage of buying an extended warranty at time of car purchase is that you can bargain with them.

But if you wait, down the road, say 3rd year in, you have no say in the matter.

Therein lies the dilemma.
  • Options
    You can still bargain with the dealers after the purchase. I think it gives you more flexibility. If you are going to buy the warranty at the dealer that gives you the best deal on the car, there is little incentive for them to give you as equally a good deal on the extended warranty, they know they have you. When I bought my last extended warranty on my jeep grand cherokee I put four dealers against each other telling them where I get the warrantee is where I will service my jeep. In the end the dealership that was the closest treated me the worst and did not deal on the warranty and as a result I have never given them any business. The dealership that gave me the best deal was only about 5 miles further in the opposite direction and in the end they have given me great service. I don't know if there is a place to find their cost on it but I know that there is a lot of profit in them. I got the warranty about 700 less than my first offer. I think I did well and the dealership didn't sit on my $$$$$ for three years before I got to start to use it.
  • Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Wow...that sounds like a pretty good deal (and that includes the Navi!!!). So you live in this (VA) area? How does it work as far as the PA vs VA taxes and having the vehicle registered in VA? I am not experienced in how that works. If I can get a deal similar to yours, 2 hours driving time would be worth it! Your advice is surely welcomed and appreciated.
  • Options
    The dealership was Jones Acura in Lancaster, PA. I've bought cars in MD before & registered them in VA before, which is the same deal. Here's what I remember. You pay $67 for temporary registration in PA. After your financing clears the dealer should send you the paperwork you need to register in VA. You then go to the DMV to register & pay the sales tax. The thing that ticks me off with buying a car out of state is you need to get safety & emission inspections in VA.
  • Options
    kevin3kevin3 Member Posts: 2
    My story is similiar. Both dealers in Orlando have proven not to be customer friendly.
  • Options
    cdean1cdean1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently email a dealer here in Jacksonville for a new 2005 Acura TL w/ NAV out the door price of $34K. Is this low or reasonable? What is considered fair price. Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Can we all stop quoting "Out the Door" prices, please??

As several other posters have pointed out in this and other forums, state taxes and tags vary considerably. Quoting out the door prices suggests that you either (a) only want responses from people who happen to live in your state or (b) you want someone else to take the time to do the reverse math to come up with what you are really paying for the car pre-tax. As far as (b) goes, that's a pretty bold expectation and one I'm not going to meet.

I would suggest to our distinguished host that somehow the suggestion of using pre-tax figures be put at the top of the "prices paid" forums. Thanks.
  • Options
    rags1rags1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what is the going price for a ASPEC TL, 5AT with Navi in the So. CA region?
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Good suggestion. I will relay the information. It really does help if people do NOT give "Out the door "prices.
  • Options
    2005 Acura TL with Navigation: $34,670 - includes destination fee, wheel locks, trunk tray and mud flaps.

As I leased, the residual rate for both 36 and 42 month leases was 57%, and the rate was .0019 for the 36 month lease, and .0023 for the 42 month lease.

Also, I learned that USAHonda leases allow for up to $1,500 in damage upon return, while Wells Fargo only allows $300.

Most dealers have only a few cars in stock by design to keep the prices up, but I understand that prouduction will increase in March 2006 at which time prices should be much more reasonable. Unitl then expect for shortages, especially in the popular colors.
  • Options
    I don't see how the residual could be the same for both 36 and 42 month leases.. Unless, they were going through two different leasing companies.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    **Most dealers have only a few cars in stock by design to keep the prices up**

What design .. you didn't print that with a straight face, did you .?

Terry.
  • Options
    kyfdx - you are correct - those were two different leasing companies. Wells Fargo on the 36, and USAHonda on the 42. USAHonda seemed to be the better call.

Terry - I should have said that the manufacturers were not producing the vehicules in sufficient numbers, in part because the Acura marketing plan is to establish a customer price for the 2005 model closer to the MSRP. The pricing "halo effect" is intended continue through early 2005. I got that piece of info from a decent source.
  • Options
    Are you saying that Acura will up the TL production after early 2005 to cause the price lower? Why do they want to do that then but not now or later?

Acura made very few 04 RL and price kept dropping. They did not up MDX much recently but price dropped still. I think it's more than an issue of supply which they can control. It's the demand side that's tricky to forecast.
  • Options
    I finally signed a purchase contract for a 2005 AT/none Nav. Antracite/camel for $ 31,400 included destination, mud guards and wheel locks at Keyes. I also have the lo-jack installed for $500. The car is on the way, should be here next week or so.
    I have more than ten quotes from different dealers. Range from $500 off MSRP to $ 31,999 includes destination. None of them have the color I wanted. Finally I have a quote from Santa Monica for $ 31,552 includes destination. I want them to include the mud guards and wheel locks for that price before I put done the deposit for the incoming car. It take two days before they said will do it. I email and left voice mail for appointment to come in to sign the contract and deposit. They never get back to me, they may sold the car to another buyer want to pay the higher price. At the mean time Keys call me there is a car per my specs coming in and they said they will beat any price. However they do not quote price on the phone. I went in for 15 min. they only beat it by $50. I think it is a joke. I said thank you and walk out. They followed me to the parking lot I think they change either mind, they only give me back the paper. The salesperson called me back the next morning and thanks me dropped by and did not make the deal. He said the best they can do is $31,400. I said OK and want in take care all the paper work in 30 min. They did not push for anything extra.
    My advise is, if you walk in a dealer be prepared and done you home work. You have to be firm and polite and avoid spend too much time on it. If you think there are going now where just stand up said thanks and walk.