Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• archie1archie1 Member Posts: 11
    Sounds like a great deal. Thats about 500 over invoice....and you got the extras at a good cost.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Thanks for the infor archie. Does the TL look good with a spoiler? I think some cars look terrible with a spoiler. I have never seen a TL with a spoiler.
    Like I mentioned before I got a quote for a non-Nav TL - 05 TL with side moldings, deck lid spoiler, wheel locks, mud guards, trunk tray, door and fender edge guards all ready installed. MSRP is $35,509 and your price would be $33,163 plus fees. But when I add up the sales tax and fees the Total = 37,500. That does not seem like a good deal to me. :(
  • jscott2jscott2 Member Posts: 13
    What do you suppose the dealer cost is on the "extras" -- wheel locks, splash guards (including installation), all-season mats?
    The extras cost about 1600, but I think the rear end of the TL looks great without the spoiler. I have no idea what the dealer pays for the extras, but installation must cost some.

What are all season mats? I live near San Francisco, so no snow.
    All-season mats are hard rubber mats. They have a lip around them so the snow, rain water, salty water, etc. stay on the mat, and do not spill over onto and into the carpeting. They also have little plastic pins on the undersurface that grab onto the carpet so they do not move. The dealer says they're great!!! I've heard people say their pant bottoms end up sitting in the water that accumulates. Dealer wants $129. Wondering what dealer cost is? Same for splash guards and wheel locks.
    Floor mats for $129, that's crazy!!! The dealer probably pays $20 for them.
  • tlfletchtlfletch Member Posts: 1
    You were able to get a 2005 TL with Nav at Libertyville for 32,700 including TTL in that price? That sounds awesome. If you don't mind who did you deal with and was a trade in involved in this price?
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    check out ebay - you can get the real acura all-weather mats for under $100. Maybe you want to print out the auction and take it to your dealer for hm to match.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Let's take the conversation about accessories to our Acura TL Owners: Accessories & Modifications discussion and leave this one for new vehicle pricing/purchasing experiences.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I don't mind the small bump spoiler...but the wing spoiler looks kinda guido!
    Aucra of Concord CA, a silver non-Navi without the extras = $31,800 plus fees. It sounded good but it's well over invoice by $1,622. $30,164 is what Consumer Reports claims is base invoice for a non-Navi 5AT. I am going to see if I can knock off the $622 and let him make a grand on the deal. Or maybe I should knock off $1,000 and let him make $622?
  • alegria1alegria1 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the process of negotiating a 6spd manual w/navi. I offered $1000 over invoice, $31,185. Then there's destination which lists at $570. On top of that, the color I want - blk is in another state which will cost another $570. Told salesman I would split that cost with him. Is this a fair price for me? Next thing, should I get blk or white? Black is just so sexy. We have a blk suv also my current car is pearl white. Should I work myself to death keeping that blk shiny. I really liked my current car, but now I'm bored even though the pearl TL looks really classy. Sexy or classy. Help, I'm waiting for a call as I type.
    Whad ya think about anthracite metallic? Sexy, classy? neither?
  • alegria1alegria1 Member Posts: 3
    That is quite attractive. At first it didn't hit me, but this may sound silly an aquaintance bought that color and I just perfer not to have the same color. I also like the parchment/wood inside and can't get that w/wood. Don't care for camel.
  • rtacurartacura Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, not used to the terms...does total drive out include taxes?
    What accessories are included?
  • kenyonkenyon Member Posts: 11
    I fell out of love with my TSX and ultimately bought a 330xi two weeks ago at 7000 off list. I did take a look at a TL with nav from Jones Acura in Lancaster, where I bought the TSX. Within an hour they were at 32500 for the TL with nav plus 21000 trade for the 04 TSX with 29000 miles. When I bought the TSX their price was generally better than anything I see on these boards.
    I highly recommend Jones - pleasant all around. My other experience with Bobby Rahal was less satisfying. Pleasant but the salesman wouldn't take to his manager my offer was which actually more that what Jones ultimately sold the TSX for.
    Isn't anthracite metallic just gray? With a black car I think it hides the cool detail of the TL. Does the price change with color? I think the TL would look awesome in a light metallic blue.
    I fell out of love with my TSX and ultimately bought a 330xi two weeks ago at 7000 off list. I did take a look at a TL with nav from Jones Acura in Lancaster, where I bought the TSX. Within an hour they were at 32500 for the TL with nav plus 21000 trade for the 04 TSX with 29000 miles. When I bought the TSX their price was generally better than anything I see on these boards.
    I highly recommend Jones - pleasant all around. My other experience with Bobby Rahal was less satisfying. Pleasant but the salesman wouldn't take to his manager my offer was which actually more that what Jones ultimately sold the TSX for.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Why did you sell the TSX?
    I liked the TSX and thought I would get 200k miles from it. My wife thought the ride was too harsh. I thought the heated seats did not work well. The gas mileage was not really better than the 330xi. But I still thought I'd keep it. Then when I saw the BMW incentives and took a test drive I was sold. Better acceleration. Better, more comfortable seats. Great heated seats. TSX handled well; Bimmer exceptionally well. The BMW has a more solid feel to it. Always wanted a BMW; now seemed like the best chance to get a great deal while they were still affordable. I still recommend the TSX; if the BMW is substantially better it is also $10k more than the TSX. Frankly, I went with my heart not my head.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for your reply. What kind of mpg did you get with the TSX?
    21-25mpg
    Does it cost more to buy a TL is some colors than others?
    What is dealer hold back?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    MSRP doesn't change by color. Supply/demand may affect the transaction price, however. I would think that is rare as (in the Boston area, at least) it is fairly easy to get a very good deal (Non-Nav at invoice, e.g. Friend was quoted $32k for a Nav in Black).

Hold back is an amount refunded by the manufacturer to the dealer to help cover financing costs and possibly ensure a profit even for those sales "at invoice." Edmunds lists/explains holdback, do a search for more info.

Cool car, this TL. Mine is Abyss Blue.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Thanks for the info! Consumer Reports claims that the dealer pays 29,741 for the TL, and dealer hold back is 993, making invoice 30,734, for a non-Navi 5at. So if I offer 30,834 the dealer still makes over 1,000 on the car?

Blue is cool. I am debating between the blue or silver. I am thinking about waiting until the 2006 comes out, but it will probably be more expensive than the 2005.
  • charliebearcharliebear Member Posts: 7

Just an FYI - Acura of Libertyville - 2005 TL with Navigation - including all season mats, trunk tray, wheel locks, splash guards - $32,700 plus TT&

does the 32,700 include the 570 delivery charge? if so, great deal. If not, still a great deal!
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Actually, by the math, you offered them $100 over invoice. $1000 would have been $31,734...
    :D
  • superdogsuperdog Member Posts: 37
    Are you sure Nav TL 05' comes with mich tires?? I was told it was bridgestones!! Bastids!! Can someone confirm??

I'm going in to sign my deal 469/27 months/12k due at signing only 1st month, tags.

Thx for all your postings.. its been a great help
    Yes you are right, however the dealer only pays 29,741 for the car. Invoice is inflated by almost 1,000 to begin with. So no matter what you pay over invoice they are making that, plus a grand.

What I have heard here is that the Navi comes with the Michs, and non-Navi the Bridgestones.
    Guys come on they gotta make something...the last time I checked the business can't sell at their cost! ...this is America - gotta love Capitalism. Anyhow invoice is a very fair price - hell even a few hundred over is a great price.

And yes I am almost positive that Nav comes with Michelins. I bought non Nav and paid $140 [cost difference]to switch to Michelins. The dealer ate the shop charge- bout $100 bucks.
    All the TLs with NAV had Michelins and all the non Navs had Bridgestones, and there must have been 20 cars there.
  • rtacurartacura Member Posts: 3
    You are right. I checked with a local dealer and he confirmed what you say. With NAV, tires are Michelins, without NAV tires are Bridgestones.
    You are so right Archie! Invoice is 1,000, over what the dealer pays for the car. Invoice is a sham price jacked up by dealers. I don't mind dealers making money, but why pay more than you have to?
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Exactly! As much as everyone would like to pay invoice or below, the dealer has to make some money to pay at least the guys who wash cars , electric, etc.
    Wow - It sounds like at least 2 people agree with me. You could knock me over with a feather.

I can see dealerships making a thousand $ a car. But- Don't forget they also get other moneys from selling the car, dealer incentives or whatever they want to call them from the manufacturer.
    I use to handle advertising for car dealerships. But hey if they only made a grand on each car they sold we'd all be shopping at one or two dealerships in each state, because nobody could stay in business making a grand a car... I'd imagine you'd have to sell about a million cars just to support real estate and the sales force salaries. I imagine that service dept's support themselves and then some. Try for invoice when buying a new car and let them know that you are sure they get the car for less from their manufacturer.

Anyhow, I've had the TL a week or so...and it's awesome!!!
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    Washington Post's business columnist, Michelle Singletary, has an excellent article about car buying, people requesting invoices, etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32823-2005Apr6.html
    How much more than the 2005 do you think a 2006 will cost? I'm betting at least a grand. Better yet, by a 2005 used in 2006. These cars are so well made, that buying used is probably a good idea.
  • tlbuyer1tlbuyer1 Member Posts: 1
    Green w/ parchment no navigation. $30,800, $272 for body side moldings, $189 "dealer conveyance", + TTL. Good Deal in S.E. CT?

Thanks for responses
    I am thinking to going to Nevada to buy a TL because Nevada has no sales tax, the sales tax in California would be about 2,500. But I am wondering if it is legal, and would the TL pass the tough CA emission standards (I'm sure it would).
    Great price!!! I wish my wife would get on board to buy an new TL.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    TLB1: Good deal on the TL, similar to what I received here in Boston. $30,800 is just a couple of hundred above invoice, the couple of hundred probably covers the regional ad fee. I'm a former S.E. CT resident myself. Taxes were too low, so I moved to Mass! ;)

Frisco: You can buy a car anywhere but you pay sales tax where you register it. So, unless you plan to register it out of state, the CA Taxman cometh...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• superdogsuperdog Member Posts: 37
    Had a 27/month deal on the table(and a 36 month.. went with the 27).. went in to close the deal..get a call the night before... they dont want to take you. Can finance you through Honda tho at the preferred rate..aka teir 2(which is a pretty high MF)... x amt/month ( lease ) price was 32.4k w/nav, mats thrown in. Many dealers match this price in Westchester/Queens/LI .. do not go to Paragon.. they get you in.. and pull the bait and switch. Anyways.. email comes back from BMW.. 330i has factory incentives to move the car, new 06' coming out this month.. 05 has to go. 6g off MSRP.. brings the 330i w/heated seats, sport package, xeons, leather, auto down to 35k.. for 2.5 k more the BMW.. which is a few extra bucks when leasing.. I TOOK THE BEEMER! Although.. no sweet NAV.. I am really happy. Thanks for all the info on here.. if not for the 6g off .. the TL would be a no brainer.
  • weno2weno2 Member Posts: 38
    Considering either a TL or 05 BMW 330i in June. Does anyone expect Acura to offer an interest rate special (ie., Accord) on TLs in June? Or since the TL's Acura's cash cow, they will not offer such a deal.
  • kru1serkru1ser Member Posts: 1
    Got my TL with automatic and nav system today. I paid $35,750 OTD including everything and I had 1500+ dollars in accessories like wing spoiler, splash guards, body side molding, wheel locks, wood shift knob, trunk tray, and all season floor mats. Bought at Pohanka in Chantilly, VA. Sales rep was Andrew Lewis and he was a joy to work with and buy from. The MSRP was $35,100 and there was a $570 destination charge. Got it down to $32,800. Add in the $1558 in accesories then ttl. I was pleased with the pricing. Hope it helps some of you out there to get a better deal when you buy yours!
  • decaf4medecaf4me Member Posts: 3
    Pricing was rather good on this car $33K with navi. Invoice is supposed to be $32.5K, but I am sure there are holdbacks. Libertyville (chiacgo) Acura was best trade in place, so i went with them . Recommended to others in Chicagoland. As for the comment on the trip computer it is in there, you've got to scroll through several menus but you'll find it.

Thus far (only 300 miles, granted) but i am loving it! My last car was a benz with many small electric glitches. No more german for me.
    Thanks for the info laurasdada, the car is so cool the sales tax does not matter!
    Japanese cars are far superior to German cars.
  • lotusflalotusfla Member Posts: 22
    I purchased my 2005TL from them two weeks ago at a good price and after all the paper was signed and I had test driven the car literally the last thing the salesman said to me was that they only had one set of keys for my car and would mail the second set to me on Monday. As excited as I was to get into the car I never had them put into writing that they owed me a key and remote. Over 2 weeks later I still don't have the key & remote and they offer me BS excuses, the latest being "that the parts department just shipped the keys to you UPS." I live 100 miles from the dealer and am ticked off. Fortunately they had me give them a $500 credit card deposit the day before I picked up the car so I have disputed the charges with my credit card company. They keep feeding me a line and they are guilty until proven innocent. Any other advice on whom to contact?
  • mytlmytl Member Posts: 5
    I've read all of the comments here.. very helpful however after 2 hours of reading can not seem to establish a target price when I go to dealer next week. I want to get absolutely the best deal however would like to have realistic expectations.

Need advice... looking for Anthracite/Quartz TL with NAV and additionals:
    -splash guards, side body moldings, trunk tray, all season mats, wheel locks.
    I want to ask $32'700 everything inclusive but then there are these "destination", "transportation", etc, fees ranging in $550. What fees do you pay AFTER car price is set? I've heard some dealers are very creative..

Would appreciate if somebody can recommend a few dealerships around Boston.

Also, did anyone hear or sea this clear cover by 3M? It covers/protects front bumper, hood and mirrors - i've seen it at this one dealer you can't notice it's there but helps protect the car. dealer quoted me $600 installed by an outside provider. I wonder if this is worth looking into...