2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    fitzmall.com has it for $21,495 + TTL

good luck!
  • Options
    ljordan2ljordan2 Member Posts: 4
    Bought an 06 OB Ltd. wagon last week at Village Subaru in Acton MA, demo with 4 months service and 5K miles (loaded tint glass, backup sensor, remote start, mirror etc.) MSRP 30789, paid 23400 + 186 admin fee. My first Subaru, very satisfied, nice ride, adequate power. The rear view mirror is too big, blocks windshield. Frame less doors make it easier to get in and out. Very nice wagon.
  • Options
    ebonebon Member Posts: 1
    Signed up for a membership just to share a great buying experience. If you are in CO, go to Loveland Subaru. Got a 2.5i (with armrest, compass rearview, and floormats) for 22,200 after manufacturer rebate. According to Edmunds, this is 800 below invoice. They were the only company in the area to give me an actual quote online, and were real laid back and friendly. They have only been open for a short time and appear to be real interested in moving cars. On another note, I'm trying to get a stock wood finished shift knob for an automatic. It's not in the accessories book and have been calling salvage yards. Any tips?
  • Options
    al2005al2005 Member Posts: 9
    I didn't see many frame-less door which appears on Subaru OB before. I really don't get it. What do you guys think the pros and cons of that?
    I am afraid I may hit myself someday without noticing the glass is there.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The dealer can get you a new shift knob and there's always ebay.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Holy Cow! You robbed them. Did you have a gun when you were negotiating? :surprise:

That's a seriously *huge* discount even for a demo. I'd have bought it on the spot, too.

-juice
  • Options
    ljordan2ljordan2 Member Posts: 4
    No, but I think the last day of the month/quarter helped.
  • Options
    Can you come along next time I'm negotiating price on a new car? LOL

;)

-juice
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,892
    Haha... that's the same thing I was thinking! Especially after just having taken one out for a drive a few days ago.... :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I didn't see many frame-less door which appears on Subaru OB before. I really don't get it. What do you guys think the pros and cons of that? I am afraid I may hit myself someday without noticing the glass is there.

There are numerous answers to this question in the Subaru 2005+ thread where you cross-posted it.
  • Options
    zluverzluver Member Posts: 4
    I've been offered invoice pricing on a 2006 2.5i w/ manual transmission (before the rebate). Not sure how much holdback the dealer is getting. Thoughts?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 241,731

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    It varies a bit by location, but it's a good deal.
  • Options
    thorn109thorn109 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the delayed response. I purchased the car from Fitzmall for the stated price out the door. The internet sales department is great to work with there. I am not sure what you mean by "program" car, forgive my ignorance. I am very pleased with the purchase and my experience (2nd time) with the dealer).

The car:
    -2006 LL Bean Wagon
    -Brilliant Silver
    - All weather (rubber) mats
    - rear cargo net

Bill
  • Options
    dsquareddsquared Member Posts: 6
    I just paid $21,725 for a 2006 Outback 2.5i (5-Speed) at a dealership here in Portland, OR. The only option my car has is the "Auto-dimming mirror/compass w/ Homelink."

Can't believe that the dealer actually had a $2,000 dealer mark-up sticker on it. What a joke!

I think I could have done a little better ($500 or so), but I was satisfied with what I negotiated for my trade-in.

Loss leaders (Base 2.5i 5-Speed) are being advertised in Portland newspaper for as low as $20,500, though most dealerships seem to advertise them at $21,000. Of course, these cars are usually not available in whatever color you're looking for...

(the prices are after Subaru's $2,000 rebate, of course)
  • Options
    plasmid4plasmid4 Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    I just paid $31,999 (MSRP $36,897) for a 2006 champagne gold VDC outback. What do you guys think... good deal?
    Included options are rear side cargo net, center armrest extension, homelink/autodim rearview mirror.

Dealer in eastern PA.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me, that's a huge spread from MSRP.

-juice
  • Options
    jbincojbinco Member Posts: 1
    Another recommendation for Subaru of Loveland. We just picked up a 2006 2.5i automatic for $22027 after $2000 rebate. Dealer gave us an internet quote for an in stock vehicle. Actually ended up buying a different one without the deluxe mirror and arm rest options to save $300 from the originally quoted vehicle. Got exactly what we wanted and were extremely satisifed with the deal. Fantasic trade-in price given as well. Great dealership with great people.
  • Options
    jgoodjgood Member Posts: 4
    I've been seriously looking in the NYC/NJ area for a few weeks. NJ seems to be consistently and significantly lower than the NYC or Long Island dealers. For a 2006 Outback 2.5i Auto I'm getting quotes down to $22,100 after rebate, plus TTL, which is looking like a very good price.
  • Options
    newsubrunewsubru Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

I just got a quote from a dealer in Indianapolis, and wanted to get your thoughts:

2006 Subaru 2.5i Wagon Auto (new)
    - auto dimming mirror/compass w/ homelink
    - security system upgrade (perimeter alarm)
    - armrest ext
    - cargo new (rear)

MSRP: $27,015.00
    QUOTE: sell at dealer invoice of $25,096.00 (not incl $2k rebate)

Any thoughts? Thanks !!!
  • Options
    cgj845cgj845 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a MT 06 OB Limited. Invoice is 26,316 with dest charge. A couple of quick questions for anyone who knows.

1) Are prices at or under invoice fairly common in the NY/NJ area?
    2) Is it true that 07 Outbacks will be arriving in May?
    3) I never bought a car were a rebate was involved. Is sales tax calculated on the price before or after the rebate is applied? Worksheet I have from one dealer shows tax on the selling price and then the rebate is deducted.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Options
    3) varies by state.

In MD, you do not pay sales tax if it is a dealer incentives they pass on to you, but if it is a cash rebate you *do* pay sales tax. So buy a VW Phaeton, with a $10,000 cash rebate, and you'll end up paying $500 needlessly in sales tax. Ouch.

Not sure about NY or NJ.

Check out Van Bortel in NY if you want a no-haggle price for reference.

I'd expect the 07s a little later, some time this summer.

-juice
  • Options
    chenkechenke Member Posts: 14
    The last crop of incentives ended May 1. Anyone have inside information on the next round of incentives? I am looking to buy an Outback in the next month or so.

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    steve98steve98 Member Posts: 18
    At Becker's in Pa you can get a new 06 Outback wagon 2.5i auto with no options for $21k even and Fitzmall have them for around $21.5 with couple options. I think you can do better than the quote you have.

I would email bunch of dealers in your area and tell them you can buy one like for $21,700 and see if they can match or come close.

I'm idle for now on buying anything, thinking Rav4 but like to see the CX7 and new CRV before I buy anything.

Happy shopping!!
  • Options
    gogetergogeter Member Posts: 5
    hi steve98, is this $21k for outback 2.5i auto before ttl price? thanks.
  • Options
    steve98steve98 Member Posts: 18
    TTL is not included in that price. I called Becker's Friday and they are now $21,500 but this is with arm rest ext. Seems every time I call I get a different price!! I wanted to know since the rebate is now $2500 if the $21k was going to be cheaper but guess not.
  • Options
    slazengerslazenger Member Posts: 99
    Seems every time I call I get a different price!!

That is quite common. Most dealers will have one or two bare bone units for weekend newspaper material. They might have sold those units. Customer cash is still at $2000 and not $2500.
  • Options
    Customer cash is $2500 in New England only as far as I know, plus the dealers are in a stair-step program for another $500.
  • Options
    chrisl22chrisl22 Member Posts: 24
    I'm in the process of buying a 2.5 limited in California for $24,820. Autodimming mirror and floor mats. At the last minute one of the other local dealers offered me 24,700, but I'm content with the guy I worked out the other offer with (friend of a friend). Is the $24,820 in San Jose, CA a good enough deal?

Also, I'm wondering about the extended warranty and/or pre-paid maintenance plan? What do you all think about these things?
  • Options
    I think so, look at the MSRP for those models...

I got a Subaru Gold warranty for our Legacy. Keep in mind it includes free roadside assistance during the full 7 years. AAA would have cost us $497 right there. So we dropped AAA and got the warranty.

-juice
  • Options
    This one is tougher to decide on. It's probably sold by the dealership itself, so if there is any chance at all that you might move, you might not be able to use what you paid for. And what if you don't like that particular dealer, well ... you are stuck. You paid them in advance to give them your loyalty.

Since I think loyalty is something they should have to earn, and should not cost you in this way, I'm not in favor of anything that won't be honored by any/all Subaru dealers.

-juice
  • Options
    Good advice on both counts. Since my family has other cars, we probably wouldn't drop AAA anyway. If you were in those shoes, would that have affected your decision to get the Subaru gold warranty? How much did the Gold warranty cost you? Thanks, again.
  • Options
    Prices have changed, since that was a while ago. Ask to see the list prices, and figure on about 40% off of that for your target.

One guy that sold them, a member on Edmunds, suggested you ask to see the cost book and then offer $100 over their true cost. It's worth it for them to make even that small profit because it's not a lot of work to write it up.

There is a small surcharge for turbo engines, I believe, just keep that in mind.

-juice
  • Options
    What's a "cost book" exactly, Juice, so it sounds like I know what I'm talking about? Will they resist showing that to me?
  • Options
    I wish I knew more about it. He used to sell them and gave us an insider's perspective and tips.

I think it was all in the Extended Warranty thread. Do a search in that thread for "cost book" and hopefully the discussion will come up.

-juice
  • Options
    Will do. Thanks again. My Subaru dealer's also mailing me their pamphlets on extended warranties so I can look that over before actually going in and deciding.
  • Options
    rambhaurambhau Member Posts: 1
    Paid 25,399 for a Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited including Tax, Tags and Processing (On the Road) in Virginia.
  • Options
    eybeybeybeyb Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote from local dealer and am not sure if it's a good deal.

2006 Outback Sport Special Edition with Manual Transmission in Obsidian Black / Crystal Grey Metallic + the following accessories:

+ Splash Guards;
    + Bumper Corner Molding
    + All weather Floor Mats;
    + Alloy wheel Locks

You internet price is $20,300 OTD(including all the fees).
  • Options
    You internet price is $20,300 OTD(including all the fees).

Tax and registration included or just dealer fees?
  • Options
    eybeybeybeyb Member Posts: 2
    Includes tax and registration.
  • Options
    So the deal depends on what your tax rate and registration costs are. What's the cost without?
  • Options
    modo4128modo4128 Member Posts: 5
    We just leased a new 4door automatic with subwoofer, autodimming mirror & compass, and all weather floor mats. Financing was done via Subaru with a residual factor of 51% and money factor of .00165.

MSRP was $33,345, we paid invoice of $30,842. With $1420 downpayment, we are paying $504/month for 36 months. Sound like a reasonable deal? Never sure about these things...how does dealer make money if we pay invoice?
  • Options
    Sounds a bit high to me. If tax is about 5%, that's about a grand, and $19k still sounds high for an OBS.

Depends, though, on the region. In Alaska that price would be par.

-juice
  • Options
    modo4128modo4128 Member Posts: 5
    We live in SF where tax is 8.5%. I mistakenly wrote earlier that we were making a downpayment of $1420, actually that represents the 1st month payment, fees, etc. No additional money down. Thanks for the perspective.
  • Options
    SE, OK, missed that part. Low $18s around here at the no-haggle place, plus a few options puts it in the mid-to-high 18s. That tax rate is painful but you can't escape it, so now the number seems about right.

-juice
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,892
    A "bit" painful.... yep, that is what I was thinking! :surprise:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Did any of you guys who have recently bought (or are buying) an Outback get an extended warranty or pre-paid maintenance plan? I just saw that the pre-paid maintenance plan can be used at any Subaru dealer, which is a plus.

I'm still trying to decide about these final two details.
  • Options
    We have a Subaru Gold warranty on our Legacy, but that was way back in 2002 and the pricing has changed since then.

One nice benefit - you get roadside assistance for the entire duraction, 7 years in our case.

-juice
  • Options
    I remember that. I'm wondering, too, if someone has a recent price...and any feeling about the prepaid maintenance plan, now that I know it can be used at any Subaru dealership.
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,209
    Well, dealers have the holdback and depending on the time and model, other little incentives that we may never know about. Granted, they're scraping by, but it's not as if they have nothing left after paying the manufacturer for the car you bought at invoice.

That said, you paid invoice of $30842? No rebate? That's $1500 the dealer made right there, plus whatever he charged you in doc fees. :(
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion