Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• first of all i already sold my existing car and then put the deposit down all before mazda offered the options weeks ago. i have been driving a rental for weeks now. so i had no intention of selling the rx-8 back. but my dealer and mazda both told me i qualified for the buy back and now the dealer is hedging their bet. its a matter of principle that i should be entitled to the buy back option. if they change their mind i may change my mind and take the deposit back. i have call into mazda to clarify all this.
  • rxgreat,
    Ask your dealer to knock $1500 off the negotiated price to offset the buy back/free maintenance option.

I think that would make it a fair deal, since you found out after signing any papers that the car has less then the advertised hp.

I recently checked the paper and a local dealer here in CT only has 17 in inventory.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    1. I don't. Which is why my earlier statement began with "I would expect.....". Remember, the whole purpose of the buyback was for those who bought the cars with the assumption that they would produce the advertised hp (247hp) rather than the downgraded number (238hp). The purpose of the buyback was NOT simply for someone to have an extended test drive. Which is why the date for the buyback was set at 8/26/03.

It sounds as though you are trying to use the buyback program for something it was not intended for; an extended test drive. But now that the dealer is trying to tell you that you DON'T have two options (Mazda is telling you have 2 options? This is verbal from one individual; you don't have the official letter yet), you're getting your shorts in a wad and trying to back out. Okay, you've already sold your car. You did this, by your own acknowledgement, before this whole hp/buyback situation started. You would have already been in this 'bind' whether there was a buyback program or not. You've also said that the dealership was already offering you the $500/free maintenance. Wouldn't this pay for your rental IF YOU KEPT THE CAR?

But you seem to feel you are being taken advantage of since the dealer won't let you use the buyback program for something it was not intended for? What, is it your right as an American citizen to abuse the system? Why are you "entitled" to the buyback?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    It's not like they're not posted so they don't have a clue as to what they're getting into. I know the Hummer H2's figures weren't posted but why should the owners be surprised it gets only 11-12mpg on average? The thing is an ungainly, non-aerodynamic, massive gas-sucking machine.

Of course, if it's really far below the estimates, then that's another thing.

16mpg is not unlikely given a city estimate of 18mpg. I don't think the EPA city cycle is that representative of most urban stop-n-go commutes. The more time spent sitting still, the lower your fuel economy. My driving is mostly local. My Pro's city estimate is 25mpg. I usually get 30mpg. But I can get as low as 23mpg in mostly standstill rush-hour traffic, and that's being easy on the throttle and brake. When you're not moving at all, you're getting 0mpg. That's why I turn off my engine when I get stuck at a RR crossing (and I just got there right after the train started crossing). This is why hybrids shine in local traffic compared to highway traffic (new Prius is estimated to get 60 city / 50 hwy); they can turn off the gas engine when the vehicle is stopped.

I think the highway cycle is at a fairly relaxed pace as well. Must be around 45-50mph. I'll have to poke around the EPA site for this data.
  • Concerning rxgreat, if he purchased the vehicle before August 26th, then he is suppose to receive both options...at least, that is what I was told. When I called Mazda corporation (before receiving my letter), the guy told me that people were purposely going out buying the car to get the $500.00 / 4-year maintenance deal. Of course, that wasn't the purpose, but Mazda set the date for cars being purchased before the Aug. 26th date... and it didn't matter what reason they had for buying the car, they had the options. However, in an Autoweek.com article, I read that the letter got sent to the 3000 people who had pre-ordered the car.
         With my own experience, my car has performed rather well. The only concern I have is with the gas mileage. I use the car as a second car, just to drive after work and on weekends...and the MPG has been poor (for such a relatively large tank). I've read where that might just be the breaking in period of the vehicle, but I'm not sure. I don't drive the vehicle hard or push it into high RPMS. Most of the time, I keep it around 4000 RPMS or lower, so the gas shouldn't be used so quickly...especially when I don't drive it that much. The air conditioning or interior heat hasn't been a problem in the least bit. Matter of fact, the car cools instantly and properly. Much better than other cars I've been in so that must be isolated instances. The oil problems has to be isolated as well.
           From the people who I have talk to, they have never heard of a manufacturer giving the options that Mazda has (mainly the buyback option). I got my car in July, and though I'm not totally unhappy with the RX-8, there is just too much going around that concerns me about the car. Anyway, if people can take advantage of the buyback option (no matter what reason), they shouldn't be criticized for it. Personally, I didn't realize the MPG shortage until I drove it for about a month. Obviously, test drives are worthless in that regard.
  • Mazdafun, I shouldn't actually see the gas dial move downward while driving just 10 miles.
  • im not trying to use the buy back program for an extended test drive. actually i dont have to try to back out. mazda's position is if a person put a deposit down before the 26th they could get their money back so no problem there. people knew about the HP issue before the 26th. i think mazda changed the HP on their website before the 26th and notified the dealers before the 26th. many people could have and probably did order the car or take delivery after hearing about this and before the 26th and use it for an extended test drive. thats up to them. mazda left a small window of opportunity there. i think mazda needs to post the qualifications for getting the buy back on their website.
  • I thought you actually purchased the car before August 26th. I don't believe a deposit is good enough since you didn't actually buy the car. The dealer (or Mazda) would only be obligated to give your deposit back.
  • >It's not like they're not posted so they don't have a clue as to what they're getting into.

They're posted as 18/24 right? Well, when I'm driving 100 miles a day with an 80/20 ratio of highway/city, I would expect to get better than 16-17 mpg. And that discrepancy really adds up over time. It's a real hassel filling up every 2.5 days at $30 a pop out here in CA.
  • Isn't that a lot? I drove by a dealer yesterday in Alhambra CA and counted at least 12 in stock. Despite the fact that people in some parts of the US are still waiting for theirs to arrive after ordering, it seems like a lot of 8's are available.

I love the car and am willing to overlook the poor gas mileage if the prices come down from MSRP.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    The Wall Street Journal in yesterday's paper did a review of the RX-8. They also said they were dissapointed in the gas mileadge of the RX-8. I don't get why. It says 18/24. Your are just not going to get that good of gas miledage in a car like the RX-8.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,197
    Living in the midwest, I regularly look at all the dealer's inventory within a 150 mile radius of me. The most I ever see are 3-4 RX8s...and those will be sold within a day or two of the dealer receiving them.

I was in San Francisco last week on business. Putnam (sp?) Mazda, which I take it is a large dealer, had 4 of them sitting in the front. I stopped in just to "chat" and they said that they got them in Thursday. Two were sold the same day and the sales guy said the remaining ones had a deposit on them given over the phone so they would hold them until the potential purchasers could get to the dealership to see them.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • ...Well you said u went to putnam. they are a big dealer here in the bay b/c they have 14 dealerships and i think all dont charge mark-ups so we saved some money there.well it so happens i got the rx-8 form there. I got a GT package w/o the navigation and 2 tone seats with no mark-up.I got mine at around 8/16-25/03.When i went to the other dealership just few miles down the road they were selling theres for around 38gs for the same thing.The dealer was so desprite he tried to trap us in so we left that 855hole.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,197
    I don't live in the Bay area....just there on business. I was staying at a hotel near there. With nothing to do except go back to my room and watch TV, I took my POS rental car and went looking around. Stumbled onto Putnam while I was cruising.

I have heard of some dealers charging above MSRP. While shooting the breeze with a sales rep, he said that everyone they get in is either pre-sold or sold within 24 hours of hitting the lot. They had 4 in stock...right in front of the dealership, but 2 were sold, waiting for the dealership to do delivery preparation and the other 2 had a deposit on them already.

I find the same thing where I live in the midwest. I just dound one dealer out of the 4 locals that charges above MSRP. I can't imgaine why they are able to do this other than the fact they are probably the largest dealer in the area and probably get more RX8s to sell. If you want one delivered today, they can do it. It's just going to cost you above MSRP.

I have a friend who lives in Orlando. He's been trying to buy one there for a month but can't find any AVAILABLE stock. So, he ended up ordering one. He gets his in Oct.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • I just got back from one of the bigger dealers outside of Philadelphia. They gave me a price of 29,900 on a 6 spd with Grand Touring Pkg (31,100 MSRP). Looking at the lot, they have no less than 10 in stock. The salesman said this was the first time he'd ever seen the management give a discounted price on an RX8. Don't know if that is true or not. I heard almost the same story at an Infiniti dealer last week when I got a price on a G35. I paid ($12) for the Consumer Reports report on the RX8 and I know at 29900 they are still making $2000 on the car with the markup over invoice plus the dealer holdback. I told him I will digest the offer and maybe come back near the end of the month.

It's obvious to me that the inventory on these is now starting to increase and the dealers are finally willing to discount.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    in the Washington DC area is advertising that they have 100 RX-8s in stock or avialable on order. A price of $1,500 under MSRP was quoted to a friend looking to buy in October who went to the dealership in person Thursday. She had the impression they would go lower if she agreed to take one of the in stock vehicles now. She has bought previously from one of their other dealerships and went straight to the sales manager.
  • A dealer I went to have 11 RX8 on the lot, with a fully loaded MSRP $35,500 GT,AP,GPS - they offered me $1200 off from MSRP. At 34,300 + fees +tax = 37,000.

I didn't want GPS so the deal didn't go through.
  • They are starting to lower before I thought they would... THANK GOODNESS FOR THE BUYBACK OPTION!
  • I have seen two posts regarding Koonz Mazda in DC and their large inventory of RX-8's, but when I checked their website they only list one car. I live up the road in Baltimore and still see a limited supply.

I agree with others that the RX-8 and Z-350 have a niche (maybe a slice of a niche) market and prices will eventually drop. But they are still a good value at MSRP.

A month ago I wasn't even considering a car and vowed long ago never to buy a new car. But I got the fever bad and will be buying an RX or Z-350 soon.
  • I took my Protege in for an oil change last week and drove out with a RX-8 (6-speed). I got $1,600 off of the MSRP of $31,100 which means I paid $29,500. The dealer had about 10 cars in stock. They told me that I was the "first" to get a discount on the car.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    BTW, I think it looks great in red. :)
  • Hey, red_rx8 - That wouldn't be Tom Wood Mazda in Indianapolis, would it? That's where I got mine back in late July. I paid MSRP! That is why I'm sling-shoting this RX-8 back to Mazda! The wide distribution/heavy inventory of this car will only hurt it in the long run! I expect a car to be eventually reduced, but $1600.00 in two months? Are you kidding me? It's cool you got a great deal, but that dealership is just plain reptillion! I will NEVER get a car from a Tom Wood dealership again! I'm just glad I didn't pay over MSRP or bought a deposit for this car on EBAY for $5000+ It could always be worse!
    Having a bad day?

Thank god there's only 3 RX-8 threads active right now.....
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,294
    The more I read from you, the more I can see that the one thing you are MOST aggravated by is the fact that you paid MSRP. So the thing that angers you the most is the thing that you had the most control over.

live and learn.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• I've read a couple of posts about Koonz Mazda having 100 RX8s available. From past experience with the Koonz group, I'd take anything they say or advertise with a great, big grain of salt.
  • I'm not "most aggravated" about paying MSRP. Have you read my (long) posts in other discussions? Since I can give the car back, why would I be aggravated anyway? Especially since I could go right back and get it at that discounted price. It's the principle of the situation.

I'm just not too thrilled on how Mazda brought this car out. I was really excited about this car (so I didn't mind paying MSRP like many others who got the car right away), but like I said before, that was based on accurate specs and the fact I believed it wouldn't be discounted ($1600.00) so much...so quickly. The fact that Mazda made the HP mistake (with all the time they had to get it right) is at the core of my dissatisfaction. 9 HP isn't much but the fact that the error was even made (with another Mazda vehicle) irritates me. I wonder what other miscalculations they made. So, since you were wondering, that is what I'm "most aggravated" about.
  • I'm being paid an undisclosed sum by edmunds.com to keep these chat discussions running!
  • I wend out again Friday night and all day Saturday, set on buying a car. I got a quote for an RX-8 6MT with Grand Touring package, spare tire and spoiler for 30,100. Let's look at the numbers:
    MSRP: 31850
    Invoice: 29139
    Holdback on 6MT: 534
    Real dealer cost 28605
    Dealer "profit": 1495, 5.2%
    This is in the "good deal" range as defined by Consumer Reports (4 to 8% above real cost).
    I also got 3 other similar quotes from 3 other dealers that were a couple hundred higher.
    Who would have thought "deals" on RX-8s would be so readily available in September?

I ended up not buying because they did not have the car in stock, but I highly recommend the Mazda dealer in Flemington, NJ. John MacChesney was the salesman I dealt with. He and his sales manager gave me the best quote right away, and did everything they could for me, and with relatively little pressure. They would have had to retrieve the car from 160 miles away, which I was not thrilled with so I didn't make a deal.

I ended up buying an Infiniti G35 last night for 2200+ off sticker. It was a great deal I could not pass up and I figured even better (like $1000 lower) deals on RX-8s are about a month or two away, but I didn't feel like waiting any more. Good luck to all you RX-8ers.
    "I'm being paid an undisclosed sum by edmunds.com to keep these chat discussions running!"

lol....8^)
  • carliker, I bought mine at Tom Roush in Westfield.