Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,279
    Please list what other dealers you got numbers like that from. Flemington is a bit far for me.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    are you really going to get one??
    maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but....

anyhoo... it never hurts to have the info. on hand, right?

plus, i'm really curious to get a handle on the market for this car. seems to be quite a bit of debate on what dealers are getting for it.

And, final reason is illuminated said he got good offers from 4 dealers and I'm sure there are many buyers who would read this and really like to find out where they can get these deals.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    If people pay MSRP and then they find out the car is going to be discounted thats the customer's problem in my opinion. I don't think Mazda is a good car to be paying MSRP. Mazda's are not in high demand ever so there are going to be usually discounted thus they lose their value faster than a Honda, Toyota, or a Nissan. In conclusion, with Mazda's history of mediocre resale value why would you think the RX-8 would be any different than other Mazda cars resale value wise? No car is worth MSRP but with Mazda paying MSRP its just not a good thing. Finally, Mazda is making some of the most exciting vehicles in the industry right now but most Mazda's just don't hold their value real well.
    exactly: "most mazdas"
    The RX7 is excluded from that and it is POSSIBLE that the 8 will be excluded from that as well.

there are no guarantees either way with any car.

• I've recently come back from test driving this wonderful machine and then trying to see where I can find the best price. In my travels, I found a unit that was marked DEMO. I mentioned "dealer buy back" and the sales person came back kind of nervous. (I had mentioned "dealer buy back" by accident. I wanted to say "dealer hold back".) He rattled off something about the dealer sending in rebate or refund checks for $250.00 because of a horsepower discrepancy, and that it was redeemable at Dealers or something that was not fully understood.
    The unit had 400 miles on it. It wasn't perfect. I tried to deal. Asked 32000 out-the-door. All they said was $34850.00 out the door. The wife and I said no and walked. I came home and did some research and found out about the "buy back".
    I went to three dealers in my area and that was the only Demo.
    My questions are:
    1. Has anyone seen a Bought back unit?
    2. And are they for sell?
    3. If so, would they put "Demo" on the window instead of used?

Bill

PS.
    My unit in question was bbcc 1.3L 2rtr 6M 1GT and chrome wheels $1455~.
    The word on the street at this point is that any bought back units would be sold to Mazda employees. The easy way to find out is to see if this unit you saw was titled or not. A demo unit would not be titled and, therefore, is not technically a "used" vehicle. A bought back unit would have been titled before and you would, therefore, be the 2nd owner if you purchased it.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,197
    brozen is correct....there will be roughly 60 units from the Mazda "buy back". They will only be offered to Mazda employees, so you won't see them on a dealer's lot unless one of the employees turned right around and sold it to a dealer or at the auction.

Mazda provided all the dealers some units that were designated as "demo units". The way my dealer explained it, the units could only be used as demo units and couldn't be sold for a period of time (it was either 30 or 60 days, but I don't remember the exact period). There may have been a mileage rider on them, too.

As brozen said, if it's been titled to someone else, it's a used car. If not, then it probably is one of the dealer's demos.

Performance is the same as the trade rags said, even with the restated HP. Mazda is sending $500 debit cards and free maintenance to those affected. But, I think the cut-off date was 8/26, or there abouts, to take advantage of that offer. So you probably wouldn't qualify.

From all reports, even the few used ones that are out there are going at or near MSRP. If I were you, I'd forget about the demo and get a brand new one since the cost is the same.
    It sounds like they are asking MSRP even for the demo units.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    Mazda had a program for mazda dealers to get one extra RX-8 to be used for test drives....the dealer had to pay a fee and agree not to sell the car until 10-31-03 or later. after this date the "demo" car can be sold to a retail buyer.
  • with the option to sell my 8 back or $500 and free maintenance. i'm keeping it and getting the $500 and free maintenance.
  • Ebay is without a doubt the cheapist way to go. You can use the buy it now button on some of them and get supper low prices, like at invoice. Dont believe me? If I had money this is what I would get, check it out:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2434401462&category=6316

loaded for just over 30!
    ummmm....I don't think your post is legal here.....
    invoice?? hahaha. If you think that but it now price is invoice, good luck with your purchase. That buy it now price is a whopping $600 off sticker. And then you have to get the car from Maryland. No deal there.

• In my experience, alot of dealers post listings on Ebay Motors more to use it as an inexpensive marketing channel than an actual sales channel.

I DID however see some Wisconsin dealer last week on Ebay that claimed $1k off MSRP. But once again, is it worth the hassle unless you lived in Chicago or closer? Probably not.
  • Does it even say what package that RX-8 comes with (on Ebay)? I would never get a car on Ebay. There is enough that one has to go through when buying a car.
  • In my experience on the Ebay site, the pricing is not significantly low enough to compensate for the additional risks and in-convenience of buying "sight unseen." The majority of the time when I have found something attractive on Ebay Motors it has been an extremely low mileage specimen of a sports car or convertible (ex. 1st gen Miata w/ under 50k miles and the pics look mint the price is under $7 k) which is in my area so I can go and look at it and buy direct. So once again, it has been a good marketing experience in my usage of Ebay Motors and less of an actual acquisition channel.

However, I did once sell my car to a guy in Idaho using an Autotrader.com listing and he bought the car "sight unseen" so it does happen.

One other way I would do it would be to have a close friend & mechanic in that other city check out the car to see if it is really mint.

But once again, it's all about trade-offs and the pricing needs to justify the hassle and time!
  • Just bought this fantastic car (even despite the HP difference) and have really enjoyed it so far!

I have been reading a lot of posts on what people are paying and trying to pay, etc and will share my experience. I live in Southern GA and found a "fully" loaded RX-8 for MSRP of $34,865; I haggled them down from 34.8 to $31,365. (including the $500 rebate for graduating college -- thanks to my wife's recent grad)

I wasn't comfortable with the deal so I called Jacksonville, FL to see what their deals were...I was shocked to hear from their General manager that they "weren't" discounting at all. I'm still not sure who and why someone would pay "sticker" price but each to their own. The dealer at Jacksonville told me he'd recommend that I'd go purchase the one I discussed earlier. Oh well, 2 days later and now I'm driving my RX-8, which I paid $31,600 out the door with taxes/tags after a 1,300 credit for trading my Honda Accord in...

Good luck to all RX-8 enthusiasts.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    The deal you got sounds great, but how did the MSRP get up to $34,865 to begin with??

I just got a call from an architect in the Baltimore area that I work with who is helping his daughter car shop. He asked my opinion on a "fully loaded" RX 8 for $1,000 over invoice. It has the "grand touring" package, the navigation system and the in-dash CD changer. The MSRP is $33,600 and his deal works out to $31,650. Any comments from other owners/shoppers?

P.S. His daughter also looked into getting a S2000 at a similar price, but the difference in insurance is over $1,500 per year more. The RX 8 is considered a "coupe" with a mid level rating similar to a G35 and less than a 330ci. The S2000 is in the high performance car category that is equivalent to M3 and double the RX8. Go figure.
    For the most part, what I can tell, the RX8 is selling at MSRP.

I've heard of some dealers that are charging over MSRP and some that are giving discounts but "underallowing" on trade-ins. Some are discounting but adding in extra charges on the back end like GAP insurance, expensive wax treatments, fees for financing, and other types of creative fees. These fees and trade-in allowances usually bring the price of the car back to MSRP.

I think, in general, these cars are going for MSRP when you look at the "total" deal.
  • That is a great deal! $1950 off of MSRP. I know because I bought the same car minus Nav 2 months ago and paid MSRP of $31,600 and the Nav goes for $2000 MSRP.
  • I bought my RX8 Aug 23 from Foothills Mazda in Spokane, WA. At that time they had 22 in stock. Last week they had 12. Post Falls (Idaho) Mazda (30 miles east) had 5. Foothills will discount from the MSRP. I'm pretty sure PF Mazda will discount a bit also. For those faced with higher than MSRP, it may be worth a phone call to see if they have what you want in stock.
  • Just completed the paperwork on my RX-8 2 days ago. I got it for $400 under MSRP. Not a great deal, but I needed a car this week. I emailed every dealer within 150 miles of me. All said MSRP except one. The local dealer matched it; they wouldn't beat it. They said they had sold about 12 so far, and I was the first to pay less than MSRP. But dang, it's a sweet car. Red, 6-speed, Sport Package. MSRP $28300. I paid $27900, plus the window tint, plus tax. No other dealer add-ons or accessories that they can then "discount", and no trade-in that can skew the true numbers. So I'm OK with the deal, and the insurance is cheaper than my '02 SVT Focus, so that's good as well. I'll try to enjoy the car and not dwell on the numbers anymore!!!
    What did they charge you for the window tint?
  • WAY too much!! $299, and they wouldn't negotiate at all. Paid only $150 for the SVT Focus, and it has more glass. Up to about $200 was reasonable. But I wanted to have it done before I picked up the car to avoid having to find a place, take it there, be without for a day, etc. Once I take delivery, I want to be done!! Oh well, I've wasted a hundred bucks on worse things, I suppose......
  • Glen124 made a good point about trade-ins skewing the amount you actually pay for a car. You might think that you're getting an amazing deal like one mentioned above but the dealer is really just giving you a fair amount for your trade. There was another example of that earlier in this forum where the poster thought they got a $1600.00 discount, but in reality, they just got a little more for their trade.

Habitat1 - I would make sure your friends check to see any hidden costs obviously. $1000 above invoice is still too good to be true in my book on a fully loaded RX-8. As for the insurance, the coupe status helps but it wasn't that much of a difference from the new Z3 I had before. $1500 more a year (for the S2000) seems extreme unless that person has a horrible driving record. Also, a female driver (and I assume she is over 25), should be getting better rates anyway. I'd look for better rates at another insurance company if I was her!
  • I am paying $50 more a year for RX8 insurance than I was for my 90 Miata.

My insurance company classes the Miata as a sports car but the RX8 is not considered a sports car because of the 4 doors. One should keep that in mind and make sure your insurance company classifies the RX8 correctly - it could save you a bundle of dough.
  • Getting more for the trade-in can be the same as (or better than) getting a bigger discount.

When I bought my RX8, my trade-in (as per Edmunds, KBB, and Nada) should have been about $2k or $2.5k considering its condition, miles, etc. Private party sales in this area seem to bring in only $3 to 3.5K.

The RX8 was advertised at $150 below MSRP. Due to certain laws regarding ads etc., the dealer's records had to show that it sold for the ad price. We pay sales tax on the difference (sales price minus tradin) which means yet an additional savings to me opposed to selling it for the same price private party.

Since they gave me more than $4700 for my tradin, I look at it as at least a $1700 discount from MSRP - regardless of how the numbers show on the purchase order.

Another view of the numbers - When you consider the current buy-back situation (if I had opted for it) Mazda would have to pay me the recorded sales price of the vehicle. If the paperwork showed a lower sales price (i.e. a discounted price), I would not get as much.

Hence my first sentence above.
  • Habitat1

"The deal you got sounds great, but how did the MSRP get up to $34,865 to begin with??"

The MSRP on mine was $34,865 because of the grand touring package, appearance package, nav system, spare tire and rear wing spoiler. It is almost the top of the line with options.

... and about the trade difference. I'm very familiar with the "black" book as compared to the "blue" book prices the dealers use to their advantage. I know well in advance what my car is worth before going in to them. For example, my Honda Accord (2000 EX loaded) was worth approx $11K to private party sale and $9700 trade in. The difference wasn't worth me trying to sell... even though I prob could've pulled in a little more than 11k. Getting $10K was fine because it saves on bottom line taxes. (instead of paying taxes on 31K, paid on 21K)

Bottom line: Do your homework before going to a dealer and you'll be fine. There is always a better deal out there and you'll always question yours! I'm very happy with getting mine at $31.6 (fully loaded) as compared to some deals I've heard of here. Everyone should look at the smaller dealerships... you might just get lucky!
  • Knowing that mngpao and rx8-is-great did well with their trade-ins when getting the RX-8, this is just another reason why leasing isn't such a good idea. It seems that the dealerships you two went gave you a fair deal!
  • cheezeboycheezeboy Posts: 218
    Hi all.....

I would like to give thanks to all of you here. I have been following the information given and a few hours ago I purchased a new RX8! Red/Blk Auto with sports package and a few extras. Out the door for $27500! They even gave me $10500 for my Hyundai XG300, which was $1500 more than I thought. It was the second dealer I went to because the 1st dealer wanted to sell me a Silver one (same options) for $720/month for 60 months. (that's $43200 to you and me)....After I finished laughing, I left! The scary thing with this car is that it's so easy to fall in love after one drive!

Thanks again for all you helpful comments. I will post a similar email in the regular RX8 board.