Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bmarchandbmarchand Member Posts: 16
    I had the same experience. We drove up to Germain Toyota to find one RAV4 (Everglades Green) that we wanted to test drive but they could not find the keys. Also my experience at Ft. Myers Toyota wasn't much better. I did test drive one through them but the salesman was disinterested because I had started an internet inquiry and had a salesman assigned. I finally set up an appointment with the internet salesman for a Sunday. I drove the 50 miles from SE Naples to Ft. Myers and was stood up by the salesman. I guess the receptionist got nervous because we got there promptly at 11:30 a.m. when our appointment was and at 11:50 she called him only to find he wasn't coming in and to have someone else help me. Needless to say I left and went to Ft Myers Honda to test drive a CRV and Honda Pilot, much more accommodating dealership. I have just about given up on the RAV4 experience, maybe I will just get a VW Passat Wagon again!
  • Options
    bonanaplesbonanaples Member Posts: 5
    I am wondering if we were at Germain the same day as you, or do they just claim to have lost the keys to every new Rav. We also were trying to drive the everglades green rav 4 v6 limited. It was in Feb. and they were having "Latin Fest" on a saturday. I had a appt. to drive it and the saleman dumped me for another couple. Several people wanted to drive it but they said they could not find the keys. Ft Myers Toyota has been very accomadating- they did find an everglades green car for me but it sold. All of SW Florida is supposedly getting an allotment of Rav 4 Limiteds on Monday May 1st- I have an order placed with three color choices so I will let you know if I get one.
  • Options
    mandrillmandrill Member Posts: 7
    could you tell me the name of the dealership? this is the exact configurations I want for this vehicle. did you go through a very hard negotiation? thank you!
  • Options
    blueravbluerav Member Posts: 12
    The dealer is Victory Toyota on Burnside Ave, around JFK.

I actually didn't have to negotiate at all. The price was on the dealer's ads (but it's for the model without side airbag).

If you are not in the area, I suggest you call and check if they have the car for you.

I called the dealer and mentioned aboutu the ads. The salesperson asked me if there's any particular feature or color I am looking for. I told her I want a base 4x4 in either blue or silver, she check stock and said they have one blue. She didn't say it come with side airbag, but I reconfirm that it is for $18,995.

When I went to get the car I work with another salesperson, but she honor the price given that I just graduate from college (total price is $19,774, which is $18,995 advertise price + $400 college grad rebate + 349 Dealer fees). We went for a test drive then start processing the paper work righ away.

I drove 3.5 hours to pick up the car, and I think it definitely worth it.
    Good Luck.
  • Options
    steve98steve98 Member Posts: 18
    Man..you did get a great deal!! Where was the dealer ad listed at...newspaper, TV? Also, when was the last time you saw the ad and did it list a base 4WD model for $18,995?
    I'm down here in NC and dont think I could make a trip to NY but maybe I could have some dealers match the price of $18,995.

Thanks
  • Options
    Thank you buddy! You information is very helpful to me. I am 2.5 hr away from there and sure I will make a try. But where did you see their ads? I just found address of this dealership from toyota. They even don't have a website! When you were at their parking lot, did you notice their inventory level? are there many cars? thanks again!
  • Options
    It was a newspaper ads, I saw it on Friday Apr 21. The ads was for the base 4x4 with similar option with what I got except for the side airbag.
  • Options
    I believe the ads was on the NY Post.

I didn't notice their inventory. I saw couple of them with "sold" sign on.

They do have web site, I think it's www.picktoyota.com
  • Options
    robwar1robwar1 Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for your help. I'll check them out !!!
  • Options
    robwar1robwar1 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your helpful guidance. I'll check out Neil Toyota...
  • Options
    That's the Rav4 I'm looking and would settle for one with no options but the least options I have seen are the $200 radio upgrade and side airbags. I'm thinking I could get one with those 2 options for $22k even. I'm in NC but do travel to Va, Md and Pa sometimes so I could buy in those area also if I need too.
  • Options
    seaotter212seaotter212 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the heads up! I went in last night and got the same car except in black.

I was able to get one of the "similar" saving cars with the airbags. I had to pay for it, of course, but my salesperson give it to me @ invoice. The only thing I did not get was the $400 college grad rebate.

I think the sales ends today (5/4). Also, if you have the ad from the NY Post, they will give you $100 gas credit.

One last thing, my salesperson was great. She was very informative with a great, no non-sense new york attitude The best salesperson I've dealt with.

Picking it up on Tuesday! Pray that nothing goes wrong with the car between now and Tuesday! :D
  • Options
    I am a little bit confused. Why pick it up on Tuesday? They don't have that in stock now? And did you pay extra money for the airbag? But the OP ( bluerav ) did get the airbag options without paying extra money?
  • Options
    I am a little bit confused. Why pick it up on Tuesday?

I got there around 9:00pm. They had the car in another inventory lot. Also, I didn't get a chance to complete the loan application with my firm (I work for a bank).

Of course, I will have to check it before I take delivery of it.

And did you pay extra money for the airbag? But the OP ( bluerav ) did get the airbag options without paying extra money?

The salesperson for OP made a mistake.
  • Options
    Then did you pay the $349 dealer fee he mentioned?
  • Options
    I paid $249. I applied the $100 gas coupon to it.
  • Options
    Congratulations, I'm sure you will love the car.

"The salesperson for OP made a mistake."
    I hope I didn't get her in trouble.

Did I not mention that the salesperson was very nice and helpful. I should have. This was the best car buying experience I have ever had.
  • Options
    Could you give us the details of the price you paid? You guys are getting a great buy up there in NY!!

Also, you should post the great deal you got at rav4world.com (hope I can mention this here) no one there believes a dealer can sell a Rav4 4WD for that price.

I really want a Rav4 Sport but if I find a deal like you guys got I will pull the trigger and go for the base model!
  • Options
    Yes it was a Everglades Green Rav so it might very well have been the same day. I thought it was pretty lame that they couldn't find the keys. I have ordered mine through CarsDirect, Red 2w V6 Limited. They located it and I am to pick it up at Maroone Toyota in Davie. I gave up on local SW FL dealers. I think I am paying plenty though. Good luck with your car.
  • Options
    $18,995 + $559 (airbag) + $279 + $1212 (nj tax) = $21,045 and change.
  • Options
    lirlir Member Posts: 81
    I got my Toyota Rav4 Limited 4 cyl/2 wheel drive in blizzard pearl with ash interior
    options: moonroof, jbl sound system, floor and cargo mats, side curtain airbags, extra for color all for 23,603. I'm happy!
  • Options
    Congratulations, that is an awesome deal! What part of the country are you located in? I can't find anything near that in SW Florida. I am paying $5,000 more for the same car in red without the mats :cry:
  • Options
    Ok, I got a price of $21,650 and couple $22k even price. These prices do not include tax, tags and fee.The one for $21,650 I can do OTD for $22,605, that's tax (NC is 3%) tags and doc fee which seems to be somewhere around $200.
    This seems to be great pricing but with gas prices going up I think I will hold on to my Mazda3 hatchback for a little bit longer!
  • Options
    I am in central California. I suggest you take a copy of the Edmunds invoice with you and negotiate...their invoice will be higher than yours because they will add $400 advertisement fees (I didn't pay for those). Let them know that even if they let you have it at YOUR invoice price ($23,303 - that included the mats, moon roof, side curtain airbags, JBL stereo and color - blizzard pearl), they would still be making $$$ (2% of base MSRP). Manufacturers give them that after they sell the car. Therefore, don't let them make you feel guilty that they are not making any money on this deal. I offered $300 over my invoice, take it or leave it. You'd be surprised, they just might take it too. Good luck!
  • Options
    kim931kim931 Member Posts: 3
    Hi!
    I just talked with sales person at Five Town Toyota.
    He said $18995+$400(college graduate)+$449(dealer fee)=$19844. I live in Ohio, therefore I have to pay tax in here.

I have one question. He said I have to finance for three months and the interest for three months is around $800.
    I am not quite understand this finance thing.

So the total cost is $19844+$800=$20644 plus tax.
    Did you pay this finance around $800.
    Thanks
  • Options
    barrancebarrance Member Posts: 6
    I've been working with my dealer to get a top of the line V6 Limited AWD with leather, heated seats, sunroof, upgraded CD, etc... I actually have an agree to price of ~$28,300 + tax/fees with a $500 deposit in for the order.

However, it's been ~7 weeks now and there's no sign of my car, even though the fleet manager said that "it's guaranteed to be here in 6-8 weeks". Apparently, Toyota doesn't make too many V6 Limited AWD with leather. His suggestion was to take a V6 Limited AWD w/o leather that they have coming in soon and put aftermarket leather and heated seats on that one.

What's the general consensus on aftermarket leather? I've heard that generally, for the price that you pay for factory leather, you can actually get better quality leather aftermarket, and in most cases, you can't tell that it was put on aftermarket. I saw one base model RAV4 early on that had leather on it and that looked okay. However, I've also read about aftermarket leather messing with some of the safety systems like airbags and stuff since the seats have sensors in them.

Any opinions?
  • Options
    mwinter66mwinter66 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my Rav4 in Flint Mica on Friday here in upstate NY. The deal couldn't have been much better. I didn't anticipate buying from this dealer, but they made me a great offer, so I took it, but had to place an order. It only took about 4 weeks which wasn't bad since I was not in a big hurry. My Rav4 Sport, V6, 4WD, came with the following options: moonroof, daytime running lights, 6 CD player, luxury carpet package (incl mats, nets, poles), mudguards, tonneau cover, tow prep package, and a factory installed remote car starter. The MSRP was $28,190 and I paid $25,000 even. I absolutely love the vehicle!
  • Options
    karlzunikarlzuni Member Posts: 20
    $25,000? is that below invoice?
  • Options
    whysterwhyster Member Posts: 14
    Hi Lir,

Great deal - Which dealership is this?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Let me answer this question for you cause I know a little bit what happened there. The $18995 vehicle is the advertised speicals. Usually this kind of ad comes with additional conditions if you wonna get this price. If you read through all the small fonts on the bottom part of their ads, you will find that you must finance 90% of the total expense through dealer. Depending on your credit score, the interest for this 90% financing may be very high. So you end up paying less on car price but more on interest. However, you may pay off your car loan early and maybe only pay interest for 3 month (depending on the bank). So even in this way, the total expense including interest is still well below prices in many other area.
    So what you need to do, is to calculate all the interest and fees carefully and see if your total expense is lower than your local dealer. Don't forget, dealers are dealer. They may play some tricks, for example, they may charge you a lot for out-of-state registration (in your case, NY to Ohio). Please keep this in mind before doing business with them and play the game carefully.
    And, if you read OP's first post, you will know he did finance a lot as required by the dealer.
  • Options
    rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    I don't understand why as a college grad you pay $400 MORE...
  • Options
    mwinter66mwinter66 Member Posts: 5
    Not sure if it's below invoice, but I also got the rear bumper applique and the first aid kit velcroed to the back seat. I forgot to add that. So, I got the Sport V6, 4WD, with Option A $1,440 (50 state emissions, AM/FM/CD Changer w/6 speakers, Daytime Running Lights, Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/ Sunshade, Tonneau Cover w/ Cargo Net & Support Poles, Tow Prep Package w/3500-lb. towing capacity includes upgraded radiator, fan coupling, and alternator) AND the following accessories: Cargo net ( GN) $49
    Carpet floor mats/cargo mat ( CF) $214
    First aid kit ( 3Z) $29
    Mudguard ( MF) $89
    Rear bumper applique ( EF) $75
    Remote start ( V4) $499

This brought the MSRP to $28,190. As far as below invoice is concerned, I can't find that out on edmunds as they don't all of my options/accessories listed that way, but I listed all of the options and accessories as it's listed on toyota.com and they show the MSRP $28,190 as it matches my window sticker. Base price $25,190, delivery $605, option A $1,440, and accessories $955. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Go with the after market leather. It's about $1000. a little cheaper than what you pay Toyota, but better quality leather and you can pick the exact color/tone you want. I am doing that myself as soon as I get tired of the ash upholstery.
  • Options
    leo12leo12 Member Posts: 5
    Please let me know what is meant by college grad. Is that a recent grad.?
    Also, who gives you the college grad. the dealer or manufacturer?
    thank you
    lea
  • Options
    The manufacturer gives a $400 incentive to a recent college graduate. Just make sure they don't turn around and add $400 advertising fees to the invoice.
  • Options
    I would much appreciate their contact info.
    thank you
  • Options
    Please let me know the contact info. for this dealer.
    thank you
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    That's correct, you have to finance through the dealer, you cannot paid off before 4 months and they charge very high interest rate. That's why you have to be ready to refinance. For me, the price I got is better than my local dealer even after the interest rate.
  • Options
    The price include college grad rebate of $400, so if you are not recently graduated from college, you will pay $400 more.
  • Options
    It's manufacture rebate. To qualify you have to be graduated in the last 2 years or will graduate in the next 6 months.
  • Options
    karlzunikarlzuni Member Posts: 20
    Does graduation from traffic school count? ;)
  • Options
    jeanneholjeannehol Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of researching a Rav4 in Connecticut. I'm interested in the 4wd Sport 4cyl. Can anyone in the area tell me what price you paid for one. What is the MPG?
  • Options
    It's Five Towns Toyota. More info are listed on bluerav's first email.

My purchasing story, however, is a continuing saga...(I first posted my questions here linky , but I feel that it is relevant to repeat it here.)

At this point, I am doubting myself on my original recommendation!!

Anyway...

A day before the pickup, Tuesday, my salesperson told me that the dealership accidentally sold my car due to a computer error. Suspicious!

My salesperson apologized and told me that the exact car would be available for pick-up last Friday. Unfortunately, on the day of the pickup, I was told that the car I was getting had 180 miles on it, but they would take off $180. A little digging I found out that they got the car through a dealer trade. Their story was that they didn't have their to be traded car ready and as a result, my "supposedly" new car was driven back to its original dealer. Thus, the car was now blessed with 180 miles.

Of course, I rejected that car and now my dealer is telling me that they will get a new shipment of cars next week and I will finally get my car.

Luckily, I have a deposit receipt with the VIN of the car that I was supposely be driving now. :mad:

The saga continues...
  • Options
    I think you'd better look at here for details:

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/finance/college_grads.html
  • Options
    mcb74mcb74 Member Posts: 13
    I am looking for a Rav-4 with the third-row seat. I was told by a dealer last weekend that "they're not making them yet..." which I believe isn't the case. But it's possible that they are not shipping them to the Chicago area yet with 3rd row seats. Does anyone know? Also, I'm assuming that the third-row seat is an option on all models (base, sport, and limited). Is that true? Thanks.
  • Options
    sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    The 3rd row seat DOES exist. I own a LTD V6 4x4 w/ 3rd row. 3rd row is only available on Base & LTD. Took me 2 months of intense searching to find mine. I live in NY state and had to drive 4 1/2 hours to MD to get mine. Good luck.
  • Options
    spacewagonspacewagon Member Posts: 16
    How much do you pay for the OTD (out of the door: including everything) price?

Is $21,200 OTD are reasonable price? including tax, title, license, doc, etc.

Thanks sayers1!
  • Options
    sayers1sayers1 Member Posts: 42
    spacewagon- I would be shocked at that price.
    I got:
    V6 4x4 LTD, 3rd row seat
    moonroof
    tow prep
    floor mats
    side & curtain airbags
    JBL
    running boards
    Mudguards

$28,443 before tax, title, etc.

If you can get the same for $21,200; you would be crazy not to.
  • Options
    llkc04llkc04 Member Posts: 10
    I am getting ready to sign on the dotted line for a V6 LTD with moonroof, side air bags, and tow prep package for 25,000.00 . Its in Chicago the dealership getting it for us is in tn. For that price they will not trailer it in but will drive it in. My husband doesn't like the idea of the miles someone else is putting on it, but we have had such a hard time finding one in the color we want(light green) and with a tow prep package (not avaliable in TN) that I feel that it isn't that bad. I would like someone elses opinion on this in case I'm making a mistake. I've never bought a new car before. Thanks in advanace.