Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    workinclassdogworkinclassdog Member Posts: 20
    Dealer invoice was 27416, sticker was 30047

Also got the mats, cargo net, mudguards and rear bumper applique (aka sticker) tossed in there for the same pricing

I still can't believe the Applique is listed at 75.00 on the MSRP sticker - what a joke
  • Options
    workinclassdogworkinclassdog Member Posts: 20
    I'm in Central NJ - so it's the NY area packages and pricing - basically the only difference out here between C and D (top level offered) is the JBL upgrade... and to be honest with you, I didn't hear that much of a difference other than the subwoofer. And if I want to really FEEL the base, I've got a 2003 Nissan Murano with a Bose system w/subwoofer that shakes when I need it to :)

When all is said and done, I could have waited for the option D to come in - but with this one on the lot... I had more leverage to make the deal :shades:

The taupe leather is very nice - compliments the blueish green of the everglade metallic really well ... I think the color combo is awesome looking. Already gotten lots of comments from people in just two days of driving it ;)

AMEN on the heated seats... in Jersey, that's a must. My Murano was the first vehicle I had with that, and I'll never go back to cold seats again hehe
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Well his part of Central NJ may include there and south to VA and MD. That is where the Fizmall dealers are and they have a different option group than NY area.
  • Options
    wybuaawybuaa Member Posts: 12
    Hi, I want to buy a 2006 RAV4, 4*2, base model. I have
    checked out the dealers in south california. all base model
    go with the side bag, rail and daylights. So could you guys
    please tell me what's the lowest price should I pay? how many
    over the invoice? Thanks
  • Options
    chesterschesters Member Posts: 7
    I received a quote from a dealer at Maryland:

-$27,000 +fee+tax
    -RAV4 Limited V6 with Sunroof, JBL, and side airbag
    Details: FE,EJ,GY,RL,SR,TO,DK,MF,C4

Is this good deal?
  • Options
    vmotvmot Member Posts: 9
    Is this with Leather and Heated Seats?
    Is this a 4*4 or a 4*2?
  • Options
    It's a 06 RAV4 4x4 Limited without Leather nor Heated Seats.

-$27,000 +fee+tax
    -RAV4 Limited V6 with Sunroof, JBL, and side airbag
    Details: FE,EJ,GY,RL,SR,TO,DK,MF,C4
  • Options
    vmotvmot Member Posts: 9
    I think it is an OK Price. I just got the same without the JBL stereo upgrade for 26092 +Fee+Taxes.
    I had FE,GY,TO,C4,SR.
    I do not know what DK and MF is.
  • Options
    Thanks vmot. I recall MG as mudguard but forgot what is DK.
  • Options
    Not a bad deal from what I have seen.

Provided that "fee" is nothing big. You can get the invoice and MSRP price here on Edmunds. The best price I could get on a V6 Sport or Limitd in NY was $500 over invoice about two weeks ago. Both cars were close but missing a few things I wanted.

The dealers are dealing lately it seems instead of sticking to MSRP or $500 of MSRP as a first trial on you.
  • Options
    little3little3 Member Posts: 31
    Using figures from both Edmunds and KBB for wholesale (invoice) costs, I keep coming up about $450-$480 less than the Fitzmall invoice. This is due to the advertising fee (TDA)? I still question the legitimacy of the ad fee given that such costs (regardless of dealership) should be included in their overhead and not a separate cost. It smacks of "doc" fees which are totally phoney. What's next? Customer service area restroom cleaning/restocking fees?
  • Options
    sandstorm4sandstorm4 Member Posts: 6
    First post! This is a GREAT resource for someone that hasn't bought a new car in about 15 years! (My Honda Accord has 300,000 miles) Has anyone on this forum found a good deal on a RAV4 in Indiana? We're in Indianapolis & are looking for a V6 4X4 Limited with a moonroof, tow package & airbags.
  • Options
    Well how does the overhead get paid? By sales and profits I would think. I guess buyers help make those.
  • Options
    greg54greg54 Member Posts: 3
    State of Washington, Spokane
    Anyone with any car-buying experience for the 2006 RAV4?

I am so close to buying, I can already feel the debt.
    I want to the 6 c, but availability seems very low, which means little bargaining power right?

Anyone with experience driving the Sport vs. Limited. Is the Sport really all that "sporty", regardless of whether the engine is a 4 or 6c. I know the suspension is stiffer, but does that translate to an overall more fun driving experience on windy, paved roads.
    And if I buy the 4c, am I really going to care if it's the Sport or Limited?
  • Options
    Well I have driven several of both and lots of people here have them so you will get more inputs.
    The Sport features are 80% looks with bigger wheels and a single color darker grey interior. The handling is better, tighter and I think quicker but that may only be a perception. For this you get a little rougher ride with a little bit of noise. You cannot get the 3rd row seat in Sport if your into that. Colors choices are less.

The Limited has more luxuray featuers in dual auto climate control, leather and power driver seat and heated seats.

Without leather, the price of Sport and Limited are only about $500 or so apart.

So it would depend on what you want. If your not into tighter, firmer handling, the Limited still drives very nicely. Both are a fun to drive. The V6 is a rocket, the I4 is fine. Drive them in all versions before you buy. There are V6s around.

If you can control your primal "spend for the new toy" urge you can shop around and get a deal at $500-$1000 over invoice. If you just go for it you may get taken for close to MSRP for v6. Look at www.fitzmall.com for an idea of good prices. Don't laugh but people here have flown from the midwest/mid south to MD. to get a good price and drove it home! See the 2006+ RAV4 forum here for more owner reports and info beside pricing.

Hey it is your money so enjoy!
  • Options
    kimphdoankimphdoan Member Posts: 4
    Hi all

I just bought a 2006 Limited Rav4 v6 4x4 with options:
    TO, GY, FE, MG (mudguard),
    + remote starter+carpets
    (didn't go for leather or sunroof or JBL or 3rd seat)

for $25,700.
    This was in Massachusetts.
    I love it. I had to negotiate for hours to get this price. When shopping - go for under invoice. Some dealers will let you leave and not negotiate- I say just leave and go somewhere else. I was lucky because I know that there's not many out there.

I, unfortunately had to wait a week - and I also got ripped off on doc fees etc.. $300.
  • Options
    hazletonehazletone Member Posts: 2
    Charles Maund in Austin. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    greg54greg54 Member Posts: 3
    Any buying experiences out there for RAV4 purchases in Washington? I live in Spokane so the closest dealers are Parker Toytoa in Coeur 'd Alene, Downtown Toyota and Valley Toyota in Spokane. I would certainly consider Seattle if anyone has good experiences there.
  • Options
    APerumbetiAPerumbeti Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any experience buying a Base 4X4 V6 with alloys and side airbags, in Ohio. Preferably Northeastern Ohio. Is it possible to find a V6 4X4 for under $24k?

Thanks
  • Options
    Because of the way the regional offices decide on the options packages it is not always possible to find one just the way you might like it. Not all regions decide on the same option packages.

See www.fitzmall.com for an idea of reasonable prices. they are not in Ohio but you can see what they sell for. And people from this forum have gone and bought there and drove them home. They have a V6 or two listed there today. My guess is you will end up paying close to $24.5K but who knows. Depends on if your in a hurry.
  • Options
    dederdeder Member Posts: 1
    After being an american car buyer my whole life, it's hard to admit that test driving the 06 rav4 was a joy. Ok, there it is. Now the wife and I are looking to buy. Thats where the problem starts. Im having a hard time trying to find one that I want. Has anybody bought in the minneapolis area yet. Looking for a sport, v6, awd, side curtains, moonroof, and upgraded radio and tow package. Dealer said I could order one, but be a 6 month wait. Just wondering if people have been able to get below msrp as well in this area..
  • Options
    flyboy88flyboy88 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the Kansas City area, and I just ordered mine... They have quoted me 5 month wait. This is because all RAV4's are 100% built in Japan. They just broke ground on the North American plant around the first of Feb, 06. Anyway, I have talked the dealer into a free Maint package through 45k -- about a $700 value. It covers all expiences through 45k. To order though, they would not budge off of MSRP. I am still getting quotes. I have ordered:

Limited V6 4x4 with 3rd Row.
    JBL Audio
    RSCA Side curtian Airbags
    DRL Daytime running lights
    Moonroof
    Tow Package
    Class 4 Hitch
    RS3200 Security W/ Remote start
    Floor mats
    Mudguards
    Hood Protector
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo net
    Auto dimming Mirror

I wanted Factory DVD, but it is not available in my area. I'm going to add this myself.

I wanted Factory Leather, but it is not offered with 3rd row. I'm considering adding Dealer Leather.

They have quoted me about 32k. They don't know the actual price yet, because they can't find one to price it against.
  • Options
    This deal makes me wonder. They can't price it against what? They know exactly what every item invoices for. If your waiting for 5 Months, you should consider waiting and ordering a 2007 about 2 months from now.

See below.
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp

I would shop around unless you have money to burn!
    Good luck
  • Options
    markiz7markiz7 Member Posts: 19
    Did you actually picked up the car or reserved one? As far as I know V6 Limited is not around yet. Thanks
  • Options
    toyohiotoyohio Member Posts: 1
    Hmmm... how does it work for fitzmall? If we buy the car there I noticed that title and tags are not included in the price. Would we pay that to them? Or do we have to do the title here in Ohio?

CC
  • Options
    sandstorm4sandstorm4 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, 25,100 seems like a great price. If that's what the quote is, I'd go with that. If you're in Ohio & want to go one state over, V6 Limited RAV4 4X4s are available in Indianapolis NOW although you have to look for them & the 25,100 price isn't generallly available here. Although if you have a quote that low, you might be able to talk a dealer down.
  • Options
    markiz7markiz7 Member Posts: 19
    I don't think that it includes moon roof. If not, I would not consider it as a great price.
  • Options
    nycjeffnycjeff Member Posts: 4
    I got a price this weekend in Brooklyn of 25,995 for v6 sport with moon roof and jbl audio. Wasn't the color I wanted, but is it a good price?
  • Options
    eduffelleduffell Member Posts: 1
    just wondering what dealer your brother got his rav4 from...thanks!
  • Options
    I am in NY, for me they said they could register the car in PA for 60 days or in NY. They arrange everything and bring the car to the Baltimore airport if you want.

Several people on 2006+ RAV4 site have bought RAVs from them and drove them home and reported things went perfectly. Call fitzmall and check it out. Prices are right!
  • Options
    mwinter66mwinter66 Member Posts: 5
    I just signed a contract for a Rav 4 Sport, 4WD, V6, Flint Mica, with the following options (SR, DJ, CF, TO, CD). That is: Moonroof, AM/FM 6 CD, Floor/cargo mats, Tow Prep, Tonneau cover/net with poles for $25,000 even. Also did a fair market trade in. Sound fair? It appears to be about $200 over invoice. MSRP was 27,449.00
  • Options
    scottyg1234scottyg1234 Member Posts: 25
    What dealership did you get this at, and do tey have more in stock? :)
  • Options
    andy_rav4andy_rav4 Member Posts: 3
    I pasted this post from the RAVE4 2006+ forum. I think this a better place to post it.

All,
    My employer offers PerksCard.com membership. Through the program I got quotes for both the 6 & 4cyls limited models.
    6 Cyl.
    Model # 4453A
    Factory Installed Access: FE GY HD LA RL SR TO
    Dealership: $89 Mud Guards
    $90 4 PC. All weather Mats
    $27,854 Delivered

4 Cyl.
    Model #4452A
    Same options
    $25,921 delivered (includes title + doc fees)

I'm buying the 4 Cyl.

I'm still waiting for the ETA. I expect 12-16 weeks.
    I hate that!
  • Options
    rileycarrileycar Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a Limited, V6, Everglade Metallic, with (GY) side air bags, (SR)moonroof,(CF) carpet/mat set, (TO) tow package, mud flaps now are standard, in the Boston area, $26,162.00
  • Options
    Good deal from what I have seen!
    Good luck with it and post some MPG numbers when can.
  • Options
    trifacetriface Member Posts: 1
    I signed an agreement to purchase base model V6 4X4 with the options except third row seat.
    The dealer is saying that the option 6 CD changer is not available with base model. Is that correct?
    Do you have to accept all options they give or can I pick and choose?
  • Options
    woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    2 questions: You didn't get Leather? Do you like the fabric seats? And, can you recommend/not recommend Toyota dealers in the Boston area?
  • Options
    easye2easye2 Member Posts: 26
    My bother and I just finished negotiating a RAV4 V6 Limited in the Madison, WI area. The dealership, Jon Lancaster Toyota, was having an unannounced $500 over invoice sale on all 2006 RAV4s and 2007 Camry’s and Invoice on most all other models. It truly was unadvertised because we happened to be out test driving cars, and by chance we went to this dealership.

Anyway, we went to finish the deal in the salesmen's office. The MSRP ($28893) and the offered $500 over invoice price (~$27268) didn't make sense. According to Edmunds and nada.com, the offered price was about $1000 over invoice(invoice=$26268, an extra charge of $489 on top of the $500 over figure). We then asked to see the dealer invoice for the vehicle and eventually, after about 15 minutes, we figured out that on the sheet they are charging customers for holdback! That's correct, they are charging holdback to the customers! Holdback was listed on the invoice in a different area, so it appeared as if it wasn't part of the deal and they were doing everyone a favor by not "hiding" any costs. In reality, they were actually adding this cost to the invoice price. (Today, we searched the internet on holdback and found that Toyota's holdback is 2%, $489 on our RAV4)

We really liked our salesman, he treated us well. I think he was stuck between following the directions of his boss (trying to hide these unnecessary costs) and keeping us happy. Eventually, we got $400 of the $489 back for the extra holdback cost. It took a lot of our time and was very frustrating. I cannot say I would recommend this dealership to anyone, especially if they make a practice of charging holdback to their customers. If I understand holdback correctly, that is money that the dealership gets from the factory (which is $ below invoice). If that is true, then they are essentially "doubling" their holdback money by charging that dollar amount to their customers as well as getting it from the factory. :confuse: :mad:

It would be great if any of the hosts or members could help clarify holdback for everyone and if anyone else has had this type of experience. This really bothered me because they had signs up in the showroom doors stating $500 over invoice, but was really getting ~$1000 over invoice for the vehicle because of a seemly inappropriately hokey holdback fee charged to customers.
  • Options
    chaddockchaddock Member Posts: 5
    Here is a good explanation of the holdback fee.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html
  • Options
    rileycarrileycar Member Posts: 3
    This is my wife's vehicle and although we have leather and heated seats in our Explorer, she did not want leather and chose fabric. Warmer in the Winter and Cooler in the Summer. "The fabric is very nice" The dealer we purchased the vehicle from is BOCH Toyota on Route 1 South in Norwood Massachusetts. I spoke with several others but they were not willing to deal. Tip; Do not go to purchase a vehicle on the weekend. Choose a week day. This is a very busy dealership. The MSRP on this RAV4 was $28,563.00.
  • Options
    I pick up my limited tomorrow. I ordered the Pacific Blue on faith, since no one had ever seen the color on a vehicle. I saw it yesterday and it is awesome!

I'm getting the vehicle at invoice, $22804 (MSRP is $24096). I'm related to a Gulf State Toyota employee and they have a friends and family perk. However, I'm still not sure I'm getting a better deal than anyone else. After reading some of the posts in this forum, it almost sounds like I should have held out for a better price. :confuse:
  • Options
    Ok, here is my sticker. I'm supposed to be getting a deal with the "invoice" price, but it looks like I'm getting charges that are not listed in the MSRP. Are they actually included in the MSRP or do I have to pay them because I am paying invoice?

4 MOD 4450A 2006 RAV4 4-DR LTD DMG STAT W
    D.O.# 997103 LOAD# 155 ALC-DT/# 20060316-05
    DLR 42292 VSL 249 POE HO DSCD

MFG BASE PRICES....................... DLR $ 20186.00 - MSR $ 22555.00
    TOTAL FACTORY OPTIONS...........DLR $ 32.00 - MSR $ 40.00
    TOTAL PORT OPTIONS................DLR $ 554.96 - MSR $ 851.00
    DEL/PROCESSING/HNDLING........DLR $ 650.00 - MSR $ 650.00
    T.A.F. ........................................ DLR $ 383.00 - MSR $
    T.M.F. ........................................ DLR $ 272.00 - MSR $
    2% HOLDBACK MSRP ...................DLR $ 451.00 - MSR $
    PIO HOLDBACK ..........................DLR $ 51.00 - MSR $
    DEALER ADDED OPTIONS ...........DLR $ - MSR $
    FLEET PRICE PROTECTION .........DLR $ - MSR $
    1% FINANCE RESERVE MSRP ........DLR $ 225.00 - MSR $
    FLEET CREDIT.............................DLR $ - MSR $

** PRICING TOTALS **......DLR $ 22804.96 - MSR $ 24096.00
  • Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I'd say only the 1st 4 line-items look legit. Unless the options they are quoting are rustproofing or Scotchgard or some such non-sense.

Now whatever T.A.F., T.M.F., and PIO are ..., is one an advertising fee? And read above, Holdback is not a charge to the customer.

Car dealers intentionally make the process and bill very confusing to initially get you hooked on an initial low price, and to make comparisions with other cars and dealers complicated.

Here's what I did when I bought my last car. The sticker was $30K. I saw an ad for the car at 1 dealer for $22,995 Delivered. I called several dealers and looked on dealer's websites. I offered each dealer $22,600 - stating that's bottom line. I didn't care whether they charged $21K or $22K for the car, what advertising they charged, whether there was a balloon or hot-dog charge ... They could breakup the $22.6K anyway they want. The dealer said fine, took a $1K deposit (as the car was on the dock and they wanted to cover the transport charge), and I picked it up a few days later.

I'd take Edmund's invoice price (invoice base + options) and offer no more than $500 over it.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    This looks like a normal Toyota invoice..

Some of these items are indeed rebated to the dealer at some point, but this is his actual invoice for the vehicle..

Any time you negotiate from "invoice up", you are likely to run into charges you didn't expect.. But, you got just what you asked for... You didn't ask for "dealer cost" + $500... You asked for "invoice" + $500..

I always find it easier to make my offers in USDollars.. That is a number that can't be left open to interpretation..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    jvergejverge Member Posts: 2
    I've found that if I negotiate the "out the door" price, I can minimize the extras the dealer tacks on such as processing fees. It also came in handy to make sure I received a fair trade-in value. The trick is to go in there knowing EXACTLY what you want to pay after fees, taxes, and subtracting your trade-in. This way you won't be surprized with the actual cost is totaled.

Just my two cents!
  • Options
    easye2easye2 Member Posts: 26
    2% HOLDBACK MSRP ...................DLR $ 451.00 - MSR $

See, this is what I am talking about. The dealer in Madison claimed that this holdback is something that the customer is supposed to pay. I told them that they were crazy. Holdback is something that the factory gives back to the dealer. It seems like suddenly there is this weird trend of dealers tyring to "double" their holdback by having their customers pay them that amount as well as getting it from the factory...
  • Options
    wybuaawybuaa Member Posts: 12
    2006 RAV4,base model, 4*2. 4 cylinder. All standard features plus:

Side airbag
    17 steel wheel
    roof rack
    floor mats
    day lights

My best quoted internet price is $20999. Is this a good price?

I am in south california.

• Options
    tgirl80382tgirl80382 Member Posts: 1
    I am confused by some other posts suggesting to offer say $500 or so over invoice. It seems that your 6cl price is high compared to a few posts prior to yours for the Limited he got for $22,600. I called the dealer and asked why they prices on line at toyota were so much lower than what he quoted me. He gave a BS answer like man I wish they would fix that so we would not have to defend ourselves each time. Just curious I am ready to buy the V6 limited because I want leather and heated seats, and after market seems pricey at $350 per seat.
    Any thoughts on these ramblings out there?
    Tessa ;)
  • Options
    brentski1brentski1 Member Posts: 7
    I can't find one to save my life here in the NW. Also, wondering what the dark blue looks like. I emailed Toyota that before they start splashing the Internet and TV with ads they might want to check with production!!! We might see the new Honda CR-V before we see a red limited. :)
  • Options
    The "Pacific Blue" looks similar to slate blue. It is not a dark blue, but it's a gray-blue. It really is nice.