Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda S2000

1789101113»

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Well, Porsche stopped building the 914 in 1976. 30+ years later, I've yet to see a 914 at Barrett Jackson... :P
  • FOHIOFOHIO Member Posts: 4
    You've got a point but I think the limited number of those will the Carrera engine still bring a good buck but they are hard to find. As for the Honda, I guess I'm a little bias since I own one but I still think it has a ton performance and handling technology for a reasonably priced sports car. The numbers sold in the US aren't that high thats why I thought they could someday be in demand. If they do go away I guess I could hang on to it for another 10-15 years and hope.....after all who would have thought that Studebakers would be collectable!
    If your S2000 has less than 10K miles on the odo, no blemishes whatsoever, and you hermetically seal it in a temperature and humidity controlled vault, then yeah, maybe it will be worth what you paid for it in 40 years.
  • acceleratoraccelerator Member Posts: 136
    ... and that would be 40 years of missing out on a lot of fun. :)
    Yeah, don't try to preserve your S2000, it's too good a car to drive and enjoy. Quick steering, tight chassis, and great shifter were highlights for me. My only complaints during a 20 minute test drive - I had a hard time with heel and toe downshifts (pedal placement isn't what I'm used to), it was a little light on torque, and I found it hard to get the tail loose (too much tire in the back?).

Even so, it's about as good as it gets in a modern sports car.
  • FOHIOFOHIO Member Posts: 4
    Sounds like you need a big block cobra if you like leaving your tires on the street on take off! I have only put 2000 miles on mine since I bought it last summer and really enjoy the handling and performance. I almost bought a Miata and thankfully didn't, the difference between the two is incredible when you hit 6000 RPM. I still am a little hesitant to routinly run this car between 6 & 9000 rpms because I'm an old muscle car guy who still worrys about blowing the thing up at those numbers! Everyone keeps telling me not to worry, I guess it will just take some time to adjust.
  • estrekaestreka Member Posts: 28
    If anyone is going to collect the S2K, it's going to be us. Contrary to popular belief, there aren't hordes of Jay Lenos out there with gigantic garages and more money than they know what to do with. If you want to know what your S2K is going to be worth 50 years down the line, you need to be asking yourself.
  • ghhutchghhutch Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, I am seriously considering my '70 4 spd original vette for a '02 w/ 24K miles on it. On the surface it sounds ludicrous, right? Well my reasoning is the vette is a fantastic fun car with 40 year old problems. I want a fun RELIABLE sports car and the look and ride of the S2K is very appealing. Let me hear some pros and cons from Honda enthusiats. Thanks in advance. talk me in/out of it.
    Bottom line, do it. Unless you like working under the hood and some people do. When the weather is right, it is great to just go out, turn the key - err, push the start button, lower the top (lowers in about 8 seconds) and off you go. The safety features of the S2000 Vs. the vette, the fuel efficiency, the care-free maintenance. Plus the S2000 has a pretty big fan base and as such, you can google S2000 forums and you'll find forums with wealth of information. My S2000 is a 2007 so I'm not sure if there were any bugs that plagued teh 2002 models but a quick search through a forum could definitely tell you. :) If the ride is too rough in the 2002, you could try a tire with a little bit softer sidewall and that would help. Also, if you plan on driving on snow, get snow tires. The summer tires are just too hard to get any traction when it gets that cold. I suspect though the vette/S2000 is just a weekend car though I bet that would change if you go with the S2000. :)

Bottom line, I doubt you'll find that many people in an S2000 forum who will talk you out of an S2000. :)
    Thanks,I didnt expect to get anyone who wouldnt encourage the S2K, but thought maybe someone has had both, and they could relate their experience. It is a weekend car only on dry days, if theres a hint of rain in the forecast, I dont drive it.
    Something else, I'm sure the Vette is somewhat still of a "hot" item so I would imagine you could get more money for it selling it in the AutoTrader or one of those specialty magazines. You may also see if there is a classic car show in your area. Clean it up, show up and stick a for sale sign on it and you might just get a buyer. Just a thought.

Let us know what you decide.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    What about an '02 Vette?

Just wondering.. the S2000, while fast, is pretty gutless for just cruising around town with the top down.. (IMHO).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I'd actually recommend a 2004 GTO unless convertible is a must. 29mpg highway and faster than your old Vette ever dreamed of going. Nothing wrong with a new Vette, either, but the GTO is a very under-appreciated car.
    How many vettes do you have???? ;)

For around town driving, I've never had any problem pulling out in front of the pack from a stop light and if I get left behind, it isn't usually by much. But then again, in the city where people are usually nearby, how fast and how much grunt are you wanting? You can spin the tires if that if what you are wanting to do... just be sure to turn off the traction control. Trying to bark the tires and having the TC kick in is just embarrassing. One thing I like about the S2000 is the belt-line. I read this in another review for the Nissan but it stuck with me and that is you dont look like a lego character in a car. You see enough of your shoulders and the sides are low enough where you can rest your arm on the side if you want to get some sun on your arm. :) For my height, I couldn't do this in most other convertibles. The miata was a lot of fun but just too small for my preference.
    GM did do a good job with the GTO, true. IMO, I wouldn't view a GTO as a weekend car though. For me, it'd probably become the daily driver. That kind of low end torque is addictive.
    I'm a fan of the GTO, but I'm not looking for a daily driver, or the insurance premium. The vette is strictly a weekender, driven on curvy, country back roads, thats where its the most fun. One other point to mention is that I have historical plates and classic car insurance for under $200 a year.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    How many vettes do you have????

Well... hang on.. let me count.... NONE! ;)

But.. the last one I drove had 505 HP!! And, the OP already has one... that's why I mentioned it.. The S2000 just isn't what I would pick to replace a '70 Vette... that's all...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jkf2jkf2 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    My 06 S2000 has 73k miles on it and up to now i've had no problems and love the car! Now it feels sluggish with diminished power and this has nothing to do with octane,etc. I brought into the Honda dealer and they told me most of these cars need new cylinder heads before 100k. $4000 price tag!
    Is this true? help!
    When did you have a tune up? How many tanks of gas have you run with it acting sluggish?
  • jkf2jkf2 Member Posts: 2
    i've never had a tune up since new. I did have the values adjusted at 44k miles. could it be as simple as new plugs?