Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Check out the latest from the Edmunds Editorial Team
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Tuesday, March 19 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tdonotdono Posts: 24
    Don't lease. Bad Idea. You just end up with a residual...$$$$.... You never own it! BMW Bank does. Just buy one. Just get as little options as possible. Save money. Finance Lowest rate you can get. If you have to lease maybe you cannot afford it. Oh, plus your mileage is limited. If you go over they will charge you. Your SAV could be sitting more than you drive it!! Because you don't want to go over mileage $$$.

BAD IDEAR!!!
  • kohinahikohinahi Posts: 112
    Thanks kyfdx! I think the X3 is the perfect size for my wife...she is short. As far as interior room it's more than enough. She tried the RX330, VW Touareg, MDX and FX35. She prefered the sporty drive of the X3. Her next preference was the 325i. So, she does not really like trucks...just this one!

We did purchase the X3 yesterday:
    2.5 litre engine
    Steptronic
    Premium
    Heated Seats
    Privacy Glass
    Satellite prep
    Blue Water Mettalic paint
    Mats
    1.9% financing

Invoice - $34,375 (+ cost of Mats)
    Paid - $34,855 + TTT.

Essentially paid $480 over invoice...which included MACO + Dealer processing + Dealer profit....didn't bother with specifics, just negotiated the bottom dollar.

Thanks a ton kyfdx!!! Appreciate all your help over the past few months.

A BIG THANKS to all of you out there sharing your thoughts and experiences!!! It would have been impossible to get such a great deal with out your posts and help!!

THANKS!!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 110,725
    Nice job.. That Bluewater color is really nice.. Enjoy your new car.

regards,
    kyfdx

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Can anyone confirm a $1,200 BMW dealer rebate on the X3 3.0 with automatic transmission? Offered $900 above Edmunds invoice, but at the time did not know about the rebate.
    1stbeeemer,
    The $1,200 cash-to-dealer is only for the 3-series cars. While shopping for the X3 I asked 3 dealers about the cash - they all came back with the same answer. IF there is something special for the 3.0 vs. the 2.5 - I have no knowledge of these specials?!

What APR are they offering you? You can push for 1.9%. A 1% difference on a $40,000 truck will save you $1,050.

Best of luck!
  • Thanks for getting back! They did offer 1.9% financing, but, i wonder if I'm better off trying to negotiate for an'05 X3 when depreciation is considered. The '04 year end deal has around $1,500 in options I don't want.
    At one time earlier this year, there was a "free" auto transmission on the X3 3.0

I haven't heard if that is still in place, but it may be. If you think you'll trade in 3 years and depreciation is an issue, then I would suggest leasing an '04. They have great deals on 39 month leases right now.

If leasing doesn't work for you, I'd suggest waiting till between Xmas and New years to make a deal on an '05. If you plan on ordering, to make sure you don't pay for extra options, then it is a little tougher to make a strong deal and you may end up paying more than what you save in depreciation on an '05. And, I'm certain you won't see 1.9% financing on the '05s.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• I am pending a few final decisions on which dealership sign with on a BMW X3, 2.5 lease.
    - Premium and cold package, upgrade paint scheme.

Details:
    Sell Price= 35,115
    MSRP - $37,295
    $500 over invoice. But I was told about some $150 training fee (???) by BMW and of course the $250 MACO, additional. $650 acquisition fee.
    Term 39 months, 15k miles, with .20 over.
    Residual: 22,004.05, 59%
    Rate is .0013 from .0015 offered by them despite bringing up base level of .0011 that is their hold point.

I have another dealer that is proposing $500 over invoice at a .0011 rate factor, but does not have the vehicle in stock that I am interested in and not sure of timeline. Could I get the same vehicle easily through another dealer or could this get messy.

One, seems like a good deal at this point despite the difference of $12/month in payment.

Thoughts?
    The training fee is included in the invoice price you see here on Edmunds or on KBB. It just happens to be broken out on the dealer's actual invoice.. MACO obviously varies from dealer to dealer, but it should be the same at all dealers in a metro area. Your deal looks good, if you can live with the extra $12/month.

I come up with $424.58 + tax for your deal using the .0013 MF. That assumes no cap cost reduction, acquisition fee added into cap cost and only 1st payment and security deposit upfront. Actually, $11.53.mo. less using .0011

I stopped by the dealer today... They had about 20 X3s in stock... I love the BlueWater metallic.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• bmwxbmwx Posts: 2
    I got on Friday my new X3 2.5 (leased). I am a price sensitive consumer as you will see below.
    In reference to price, I believe I got a decent deal at Invoice+$500. I got a 2.5 with manual transmition, heated leather seats and panorama sunroof. I paid around $1,500 down and $370/month in NY. Difficult to find an SUV with similar characteristics at this price range and to those of you suggesting that leasing is not a good option I strongly disagree given the residual values provided by BMW.

I compared with Toyota (Highlander, 4Runner), Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Lexus 330, Nissan Murano and Jeep Cherokee.

About the car:
    - Driving experience. If you like a manual shift, it provides an incredible drive. If you don't ... It is time to learn. I test drive the automatic one ... the stick version provides so much power and control.
    - Creaking noise. The car is far from an 'hermetic '. It makes more sounds than a pick-up. Definetly an area of improvement for BMW.
    - Fuel efficiency. After +300 miles, it seams to be fuel efficient enough for an SUV.
    - Interior Space. Great.
    Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the info, and it is a helpful confirmation. Lastly, I love manual personally, but was intrigued by the Steptronic addition. Is it worth the extra $1200 and change in your opinion?
    Automatic transmission is kind of a personal thing.. If you'd rather have a manual, I definitely wouldn't pay for an auto. If you don't have a real preference, the auto will really help at resale time. With the automatic, the engine will be revving a little lower at cruising speed, so that might help with noise somewhat.

The 2.5 will probably feel much quicker with the manual.. the 3.0 has enough torque that the difference will not be as apparent.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• 88hodori88hodori Posts: 11
    Here's a belated thanks to kyfdx!

Thanks to your suggestion, I have in fact leased the same vehicle at exactly your terms. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    88hodori
  • I had to share the latest update. I got a last minute competitive offer from another dealer. Guaranteed at $500 invoice after the MACO and Training Fee.

- X3 2.5, 39 month (59% residual) lease at .0011 MF, 15k miles
    - MSRP 37,545
    - Premium and cold package, Saphirre Black, Steptronic, and Cirvotronic steering
    - Acq fee standard, disposition fee $350.

It is only business right, and a better deal. Arrival in 3 - 10 days.
    What do you calculate as a check and balance.
  • Forgot Invoice 34445, plus $500 over invoice.

Where does the training and MACO go...closing or into the lease?
    I come up with about $410/mo plus tax..
    Due at signing: 1st pymt, security deposit, title and licensing fees.

Maco and training won't show up anywhere, just like the invoice won't show up.. If your deal is straight up, they will just use those figures to come up with the cap cost.

Invoice $34,445 (includes training)
    MACO $ 200 (I'm guessing)
    Markup $ 500 (per your agreement)
    Selling price $35,145
    Acquistion fee $ 525
    CAP COST $35,670

$410/month plus tax.
    Due at signing: 1st pymt, security, title fees.

Just for a reference, every $100 added on to the cap cost raises the payment about $2.68/month..

Hope this helps,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

Hi!
    Has anyone purchased an extended "Maintenance" warranty or an extended "Manufacturer's" warranty from BMW. The coverages for both extend the original maintenance and manufacturer's warranties from 4yr/50,000 to 6yr/100,000.

Would anyone share a decent price for these warranties.....I was quoted $1,195 for the maintenance and $2,100 for the manufacturer's warranties.

The dealer claimed his profit was $100 on each warranty.

Thanks!!!
  • does anyone have any experience with dealers in the Atlanta area? I'm going to purchase an X3 in the next few days and am wondering which dealers give decent deals. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The extended maintenance.. $1195 is the list price.. He isn't making a lot, but I think it is probably more than $100.

The extended warranty.. Make sure this is from BMW.. If it is a 3rd party, I would take a pass.. I'm not even sure the BMW extended warranty is available yet, but if not, it will be shortly.. It mimics the CPO warranty extension and for the X3 it has a list price of $2749.

My advice is to wait on either of these.. They are both available, at the list price, unless your original warranty and maintenance plan have run out.. All you are risking is future price increases.... I suggest keeping your money in your pocket for the next 49,000 miles. You might decide you want to trade before then.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

I hear good things about Nalley in Decatur.. No personal experience, however.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx! Both the warranties are from BMW. He offered me the BMW Extended 'Maintenance' warranty upfront. However, he offered me a dealership warranty the first time around. When I asked him about the "BMW" Extended Warranty, he replied in a low voice, "Well, I'm glad you asked coz' if you didn't ask, I could not offer it to you - Dealership Policy!!"

Seemed a little genuine in his statement as he has a lot more to gain by selling me the non-BMW policy.

I think I will refrain from purchasing right now....will do some research and look to buying closer to the expiration of my warranties.

Thanks again! I think I owe you drinks for all your help. I might be in Tempe over Thanksgiving...let me know!!
  • ATLWoman,
    I purchased from Nalley BMW in Decatur and my salesman was awesome. You can contact me if you want more info since I can't post my salesman's name here...

I custom ordered my X3 and took delivery at the Performance Center, which I highly recommend.
  • I have been quoted invoice for an X3 3.0 with mat. paint, premium pkg, xenon, heated seats, automatic, upgraded sound system, and the cargo net. I have never leased before and this is the quote they gave me:
    $5000 drive off
    61% residual
    39 months/12000 miles
    mf of .0013(i think)
    total payments including tax, $430
    Is that good or can I do better?

What is the most important factor in a lease?

Thank you and have a great day!
    1) I wouldn't put any money down on a lease.. Your drive-offs should be well under $2000.

2) We need the MSRP and the sale price to tell you how good of a deal you are getting. It looks like they might be bumping up the MF, since the base MF is .00095

3) I'm guessing they are marking up the acquisition fee also. The base fee is $525 and they can mark it up $200 over that..

4) A big downpayment can hide a lot of extra fees and charges.. Of course, if they are really giving you the car at invoice, then they have to make money somewhere.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• Good day kyfdx,

Thanks for the quick reply. MSRP: 46,380 (maco, training, delivery and floor mats incl) Selling: 42,830. What types of extra fees and charges should I be on the look-out for?

Thanks a bundle!!!

Mitchgirl
    1) Well, I'll assume they should get to mark up the MF a little to make up for the fact that they are selling for invoice. This is what I would look for:
    MSRP $46,830
    CAP COST $43,355 (selling price plus $525 Acquisition fee)
    MF .0013
    Residual 61%
    39 monthly payments @ 485.15 + 8.75%tax(?) = $527.60/month
    Drive-offs: 1st pymt (527.60) + security deposit ($550) + state title/registration fees ($300-$500?)

2) I built your car with the options you specified and only come up with $44,170.. Either yours has some big options you left out (sport package, navigation?), or the dealer is playing around with the numbers. Is that $46,380 the bottom line on the official sticker?

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S.: The marked up MF costs you about $25/month extra.

Edmunds Moderator

• kyfdx,

Once again, thank you for your help. You are awesome!!! btw, I did forget to mention the navigation and the radio prep.

With the advise you have given I fell much better about going for a lease.

I will let you know how it goes.

Mitchgirl
  • pete6pete6 Posts: 12
    Can you please tell me what your lease payments will be? I'm looking into leasing the X3 too.

thank you.
  • Well I have had quite a change of events and I will recap it on the final sale tomorrow on the lease.

Did I see correctly that the rate factor is now .00095 verses the .0011?

Two, the two X3 2.5 I am looking at the only difference is between one has the heated seats only (not CW package) with black leatherette verses the other has cold weather option in sand leatherette, plus a delivery charge of $575 (coming 1000 miles to me). All being equal it is personal preference I know, but is the added power wash on the lights and the ski bag worth it in the CW with an additional $575? I do live in the Rocky Mountains. I didn't get a chance to see a sand interior with black saphirre so don't know if I like that or the black interior. Some say the black is too dark. Just looking for another opinion.

I know a petty question, but just struggling with a final choice since the car I had was sold before I could close.
  • The two vehicles I have narrowed down are:
    X3 2.5 Black Sapphire Metallic/Sand with Dark Wood, premium and cold weather package, steptronic.
    MSRP $37295, plus $500 over invoice
    Invoice 34215
    Gross Cap $35125 with MACO 250, training fee 160 and 500 over invoice, acq
    MF of .0011 (pending verifying the new .00095)
    Residual 59% on 15k miles, 39 months
    Payment $399.28 with tax $418.84 (4.9 tax)
    Delivery charge of $575 to get the vehicle to me. Not many X3's out there with specs I wanted.

Black Sapphire Metallic/Black Leatherette with dark wood, premium package, steptronic, heated front seats, and satellite radio prep.
    MSRP $37,120, plus $500 over invoice
    Invoice 34005
    Gross Cap with MACO 250, training fee 160 and 500 over invoice, acq
    MF of .0011 (pending verifying the new .00095)
    Residual 59% on 15k miles, 39 months
    Payment with tax $415.60 (4.9 tax)

So which one would any of you choose?