Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Thanks kyfdx, I think I'll go for under $400 and see where it gets me.
  • I will definitely call them, thanks!
  • ge88ge88 Posts: 14
    I just signed a lease for 397(including tax) month/39 months with no money down @ Circle BMW in Shrewsbury,NJ for a 2004 X3 2.5 with premium package, privacy windows, heated seats, metallic paint. The MSRP was 37,450. The lease was for 10K miles per year. First payment, bank fee and sec deposit(approx 1,300) due at signing. BMW is offering the same national lease but has changed the term to 24 months with no bank fee. The 2,500 for the down payment can be added to your monthly payment. About $64 per month.
  • I've had luck with Manny at Park Ave and Fred at DiFeo. Both good guys.
  • Thanks I went there. When do the Sept. Residuals come out? Any word on the '05's hitting the show rooms?
  • So I took delivery last night and of course I just am totally jazzed on this car. I have been traveling Internationally for work and didn't have flexibility to pick up the vehicle. I just saw the post that the X3 needs to be broken in at 4500 rpm the first 1200 miles.

I have read every posting throughout these Town Halls and reviews, etc. and not seen anything on breaking in the vehicle this way. So how critical is this statement? I can't be assured it was deliverd under those conditions nor the way I drove it around this morning. Is this something that must be followed to the T to avoid problems.

On a closing note...I am having a lot of fun!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 122,996

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• The breaking in period ensures that your seals "set-in" against the bore. Higher initial RPMs permit warping of the seals which can cause uneven surface wear on the seals and bore. Essentially their might be microscopic wear between the two contact surfaces permitting leaks.

A good analogy would be the sharpening a knife on a sharpening stone. If you use a slow constant motion, you will get a nice, smooth, sharp edge. If you are using a quick motion against the gritty stone, there is a higher probability that you will get jagged edges and might miss some spots.

Leaks will do two things - 1. permit oil from your sump to get into your internal chamber and 2. Will prevent a tight compression which you will see through reduced power.

Some cars come with cured engines..whether BMW does this or not????

In all fairness, there are some schools of thought that defy conventional wisdom. They say that engines should be driven at the red-line for the first 20 hours.
  • richzrichz Posts: 151
    I am buying my first car as I recently graduated from college, and checked out an 04 X3 2.5 today. It had the following:

Metallic Paint
    ZPP Premium Package
    LG Leather
    205 Steptronic Auto
    494 Heated Front Seats
    761 Privacy Glass
    248 Heated Steering Wheel
    693 Satellite Radio Preparation
    MSRP $39,070 Invoice $35,830 TMV $38,269

What price should I realistically look to buy this at? Also, what opening price should I name the dealer?
  • dcndcn Posts: 1
    First of all, thanks to all of the members in this forum for your posts. The information provided was very helpful; although I was not intending to lease a BMW, I learned quite a bit about leasing.

Last week I managed to purchase a '04 X3 2.5i from a dealer in the DFW (TX) area for $31,600 with a vehicle trade-in (a 3yr old Highlander with 83K mi.). The dealer paid off my trade-in in full. My goal was to find one on the lot without the normal complement of options (Premium pkg, etc.). I managed to find one in Alpine White with the Steptronic Transmission, Satellite Radio Prep, and Privacy Glass. The dealer also managed to get me the BMW floor mats and tinted the remaining windows to match (with a lifetime warranty) for free to seal the deal. It looks like I am a couple of hundred dollars off of the TMV price quoted by this website. I also managed to qualify for the special finance rate offered through BMW. Any opinions regarding this deal?

There are only 4 BMW dealers in the area and I have walked the lots for 3 out of the 4 dealers; it seems that the vast majority of the inventory in the DFW area are X3s with the 3.0L engine. The handful of X3s with the 2.5 L engine are usually loaded down with options. If anyone in the DFW or surrounding areas is interested in a X3 2.5i with a minimum of options, I know of a dealership which has one or two of these like equipped models in stock (as of earlier this week).

I almost forgot the most important part...I been driving my X3 for a couple of weeks now and it has been a thrill to drive (my 1st BMW). It has proven to be very nimble and has more than adequate power for normal highway driving (my last SUV had an engine with specs closer to the 3.0L engine). I highly recommend the Steptronic transmission, especially in Sports mode.
    Low option models are hard to find... If that is what you wanted, and you are happy with the car, that is 90% of getting a good deal, right there. It sounds like you did well on the price as well.. Have fun.

Edmunds Moderator

• I have been looking for a good lease deal on a 2004 X3 2.5 with a premium and cold weather pkg. I spoke with a dealer today who offered $417/mo, with $3000 down (36mo lease 12K/yr). I live in Chgo and this is including all taxes.
    Should I keep shopping or not??
  • mls3mls3 Posts: 1
    Full page ad in Friday's USA Today.
    24/mo 10k/yr both prices below w/ 2500 down + 300 sec dep + 1st mo payment.
    MSRP $32,270 - w/automatic & non-metallic paint
    $299/mo
    MSRP $35,955 - w/automatic , metallic paint, sport pkg, leather, cruise, fog lights & Xenon
    $365/mo
    Local dealer (Central PA) has premium pkg on all
    in stock. MSRP on those about the same @ $36,070.
  • I just found out that IL taxes you for the entire purchase amount of the vehicle rather than just the amount that you are leasing. So taxes on my monthly lease are 2-3X more than what what they would be in other states. Anybody ever leased from Wisconsin or Indiana to save taxes in Illinois.
    You can't do it.. you have to pay taxes where the car is registered, not where you buy it. If I lived in Illinois, I would not lease unless necessary for business reasons. You are better off buying and taking advantage of the 1.9% financing.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• richzrichz Posts: 151
    I posted a message before where I listed an X3 with some options and asked for some advice on a target price. Since I didnt' get a reply I figured I'll ask a more general question. What kind of prices did any recent(last few weeks) buyers pay relative to invoice? Please also let me know what part of the country you bought in.

Thanks,

Rich
  • jedjed Posts: 24
    re your question on price: We wanted a car with steptronic and not much else. Happened upon one at the lot where we'd previously purchased a car. We paid full price for the steptronic option and for metallic paint, and got $1500 off the total msrp (i.e.with the options added}. This was in N. California, and the sales person did not want us making referrals.
    The deal went very smoothly--I had told him up front I was looking to save $1500, and he said he thought that we could make a deal. He was true to his word.
    It's always nice to save a few dollars, but if you find a car equipped the way you want, including color and uphostery...that could be more of a deciding factor. When you consider the overall cost of car ownership, six or eight hundred dollars more at the beginning may not be a big deal. But every person's situation and decision making process is unique.
    re your question on price: We wanted a car with steptronic and not much else. Happened upon one at the lot where we'd previously purchased a car. We paid full price for the steptronic option and for metallic paint, and got $1500 off the total msrp (i.e.with the options added}. This was in N. California, and the sales person did not want us making referrals.
    The deal went very smoothly--I had told him up front I was looking to save $1500, and he said he thought that we could make a deal. He was true to his word. If you find a car equipped the way you want, including color and uphostery, and yet you think you should be able to get it cheaper, there's always the perspective of how much it costs to own a car. Six or eight hundred dollars saving at the beginning turns out to be a pretty small percentage of what car ownership costs. But everyone has a different point of view.
  • jbl1jbl1 Posts: 6
    jed,
    I'm in the bay area and trying desperately to convince my husband that we can get an X3 instead of a Toyota Rav4 b/c the deals are so good. It sounds like you bought instead of leased is that the case? Did you look around at other bay area dealers re: stock and pricing? I'd love some ammunition b/c I want this car.
  • Rich,
    If you read posts from the last few weeks, you'd notice that people are paying about $500 over invoice. This includes everything - MACO, dealer fees, etc.
    I think that should be a very achievable number especially since we're coming to the end of the production year. You could even do better!!

I paid Invoice + $450 + TTT. X3 2.5i, Steptronic, Premium, Heated seats, 1.9% financing in Richmond, Virginia.

Best of Luck!
    jbl1: We did buy, and I would think at this point you should be able to get a similar deal or better, assuming you can find an '04 that you
    like. Our purchase was in June. The process was painless and probably aided by the fact that we were prepared to wait awhile to look at other cars, maybe even wait for the 05 models. If we hadn't seen the car on the lot with so little costly items on it, we probably wouldn't have even talked to a sales person.
    As I mentioned (and by the way, I think my almost identical post following the first was really my attempt to edit the other post; I'm not quite sure how both ended up on the forum), our sales person was not interested in referrals. That said, we live in the bay area and we didn't get the car from Sonnen in Marin, but an earlier post gave figures that made them sound like people willing to deal. The car drives really well, and the 2.5 is powerful enough for me, even with steptronic (which I wanted).
  • Hi dcn,
    i live in the DFW area, and i am looking for a X3 lease... can you tell me the dealer you bought the X3 from? i found one that is black with Premium Pkg, Steptronic, premium sound etc for $35,000 MSRP (approx). Also, i am looking to lease any ideas on the rates?
    Thanks

Edmunds Moderator

• I also live in IL...this is a bad tax law we need to write our state rep's...I just bought a VW touareg rather than lease looked at the X3 and X5 both are great SUV's but I like the body style of the VW...need to buy rather than lease cause you get the sales tax back on the trade-in
  • Would anyone have lease rates/numbers for September.

Here is what I have been quoted for a basic 2004 with moonroof. Please comment.

MSRP 34,095
    Negotiated price 32,500
    36 months/10k miles a year
    due at signing $1100 (includes first payment, bank fee/acquisition probably no cap cost.)
    monthly $399 incl tax

I have ran the above number using the .00095 money factor and 62% residual and its close, but I dont know what the real Sept rates are...thanks

Comments are appreciated...
    MF is .00050

Residual is 60%

Edmunds Moderator

I get $361 + tax at the base rate..

$375 + tax if the acquisition fee is rolled in to the cap cost.. If so, looks like numbers are right on the money..

Edmunds Moderator

• Thanks, kyfdx....

The only thing holding me up is do you think I can/should get a better price than the 32,500. That is still @ 1300 over invoice. I have seen $400 over invoice from other people here...Is that realistic?

Dealer is OpenRoad BMW in NJ...thanks
    It really varies from dealer to dealer.. OpenRoad is a big dealer, right? You would hope that you could knock $500-800 off that price, which would save you $15-$24/mo., but you and I thinking that doesn't mean it will happen.. The dealers around here would never go that low...

If this is the car you want, and you definitely want to buy from that dealer, then you just have to do the best you can.. It isn't like they are $2K-$3K over what you want.. You might be at the point of asking for extras.. (floormats, keychains, grass cutting...LOL).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• Thanks, kyfdx....

The only thing holding me up is do you think I can/should get a better price than the 32,500. That is still @ 1300 over invoice. I have seen $400 over invoice from other people here...Is that realistic?

Dealer is OpenRoad BMW in NJ...thanks