Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• Options
    pbroverpbrover Member Posts: 43
    Come on Man,

People who generalize should be flushed! My LR3 has been flawless in regards to relability and it's on road performance has been great. The majority of XC90's are not sold with the V8. So why dont you re-run your stats using the other engine combinations. :mad:
  • Options
    Her reasoning..it was an unreliable family car, so she purchased a Honda Pilot! :lemon:
  • Options
    koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    This is just another up-date on one of the best vehicles ever. I'm at 9 months and 10,000 miles and my 05 HSE has been absolutely flawless and a great joy to own unlike my numerous Toyotas', Mercedes', BMW's, and a bunch of others for a total of about 34.

Acceleration is amazing for a tank like this. The ride is as good as an S-class's; the visibility is amazing; gas mileage is good (17 - 22); and everything works as promised.

Complaints? I wish the drivers seat would go back another inch, and the HDC would not make such awful noises along with the front end - sounds scary in rough terrain. BUT - there ain't nothing wrong with the vehicle.

It's too bad some people are having problems although I strongly feel many are just in their heads or due to silly expectations. If you want a car - buy a car. If you need more room - buy a van. If you want a sports car - you get the idea. For now, I'll just sing the praises of the LR3 and of my previous DII which was also perfect.
  • Options
    po104po104 Member Posts: 3
    Well said Koesler...though,I'm more than curious as to how you're getting 17-22 mpg?? We've owned our new '05 HSE for 45 days, put 3000+ miles on it over city and long highway runs and our truck has never registered more than 16.8 on the mileage computer. It usually lives around 13.5 and some of the time even much lower. What am I doing wrong? I use premium gas as recommended by the dealer. I haven't taken the time to calculate the mileage by hand (I will now), but I can't imagine that the mileage computer is grossly inaccurate. Most of the other posts I've read seem to be more in the mpg range that I'm experiencing. Any tips on how you're getting this great MPG result?
  • Options
    johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    My HSE7 has over 30k miles and I'm now getting around 21mpg highway. Computer & manual calculating are within about 1 mpg.

One thing I would suggest you check is the inflation of your tyres! If they are low and with a heavy car that the LR3 is you will get hopeless mpg! It's worth checking and even going a few pounds over the suggested!
  • Options
    lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Hi johnmajor,
    What tire pressure do you use?
    Also, what altitude do you live at?
    Do you use premium fuel?
    Did your mileage increase gradually over the 30k miles or was it always that good?
  • Options
    tappergtapperg Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in hearing any stories and feedback about reliability of LR3 2006. Everyone I talk to seems to know someone (but no actual owners themselves) who has had many problems with the LR3 ("check engine" lights, door knobs falling off, etc.). And they all claim the problems start in the first 3 weeks off the lot. This seems to be the reputation, but does anyone have any real experience with LR3? Seems to easy to just get a lexus or land cruiser. but the LR3 has great appeal.
  • Options
    Actual Owner/Purchased December 28, 2005/05HSE7 - White ;)

Not one issue after 4,500 miles. Ask me anything!
  • Options
    grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    tapperg, you have thousands of messages here... in addition to the other numerous forums out there. However, no matter how you spin it... this is not scientific. "Forum posters" are only a small cross-section of owners, so you can't really judge general reliability or unreliability from it. My only advice: If you demand Lexus-like levels of customer "[non-permissible content removed] kissing" and excellent perceived reliability... (Lexus is at the top of J.D. Power & Land Rover is near the bottom)... you shouldn't look at Land Rover. Personally, I've had no big issues in 14 months of ownership and love the vehicle.
  • Options
    mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hello folks, I, too, have had good luck so far with my 2006 LR3. I'm at 3,300 miles and no problems. I have an occasional suspension fault light but when I turn the vehicle off and then back on, the light resets and I'm fine for a while.

When I take the vehicle in for the 7,500 mile service, I'll mention the suspension light coming on and see if there is a problem. Also, the 'holder' where the sunvisors snap in have a cover that hides the screw, both flaps will pop open and not stay shut. I'll have them replaced at the next oil change. Other than that, I'm doing OK.

A friend of mine who bought the 2006 Lexus RX400h has had a few problems.. one being a brake pedal noise that has not been diagnosed and tires that are wearing on the inside. The brake pedal noise has the dealer perplexed but hopefully will be repaired easily.

I have bought a lot of cars over 20 years and EVERY car has had an issue whether it be Nissan, Volkswagon, Peugeot, Oldsmobile, Dodge or Mercedes. It depends on how the dealer reacts to the problem is what makes a difference. I bought a General Motors car in 1981 and will NEVER buy another! :lemon: I know they are different now but the reaction of the dealer cured me of ever buying another!

This Land Rover LR3 is my first purchase of this brand and depending on it's reliability and dealer service will depend on my future business. Mercedes (owned 3) has not made me run back for another purchase. :sick:

Happy Motoring to all! M...156 :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • Options
    roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    I took delivery of a 2005 LR3 HSE in January 2005. I love this vehicle despite the problems I've encountered. Slowly getting them worked out with the major issue now being the persistent suspension faults. Mine was one of the first wave of HSEs and I suspect most of the problems are related to being an "early adapter" though others have not had any problems. Buying a 2006, your level of risk is significantly reduced. Go for it & Enjoy!
  • Options
    sohna99sohna99 Member Posts: 50
    Bought my 2006 LR3 SE on sept'05. I have driven it 3k miles in 5 months. No mechanical problem so far. I just had a leakage from sunroof, and that was fixed. It wasn't major, dripping few drops once n while in heavy rain. Other than that it looks great.
    haven't taken to off road yet.
    I would like to go to off road show first.
    My other vehicles were Toyota's.
    I have bought LR3 for 3rd seat reason.
    Honda pilot, Accura were too tights for 3rd seat.
  • Options
    azchrisazazchrisaz Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had a popping noise coming from the rear of the LR3. If so what has the dealer done to fix the problem.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Since this often comes up when discussing our heaviest in class monster, I thought I'd post some recent "real world" mileage statistics on my "broken in" LR3:

V8 LR3 HSE, >15K miles on the odometer, loaded 7-seat with rear-locker running 91 octane. All 4 stock 19" tires at factory (door sticker) PSI recommendations. No roof storage installed; cross-bars removed. City/mixed use elevation is generally between 15-100 ft. Temperature varies, but I'm in Northern California... so we barely have weather. ;) All MPG calculated by hand. US Gallons.

12/31/2005: 14.55 [mixed]
    01/06/2006: 12.48 [city]
    01/13/2006: 13.52 [mixed]
    01/29/2006: 11.07 [mixed + mud/rock/off-road]
    01/30/2006: 15.24 [mountain/highway - cargo loaded]
    02/01/2006: 16.79 [mountain/highway + hard snow/off-road - cargo loaded]
    02/06/2006: 17.87 [mountain/highway - cargo loaded]
    02/11/2006: 13.81 [mixed]
    02/19/2006: 11.71 [city]

Somewhat worse than my older averages... probably because I've been stuck in city traffic more, with average speeds of less than 20.

Overall, I meet the EPA 14/18 MPG averages. "Your mileage may vary."
  • Options
    Hello" po104 - good to know you're in the LR family. I've yet to go below 16.5 on my mpg, and that's cruising around town. Highway has been running at 21-22 although that's the computer estimate. My actual calculated mpg has been 1 mpg less - but that's still not bad- about the same as that Honda SUV wannabe.

I drive gently, keep my rpm's below 4000, and run 34/36 psi in my stock tires. I also use 91 octane Shell gas - so nothing unusual. My elevation is around 750 feet - have not yet been to the mountains, but will go there in July.

Happy Rovering and may the green Oval be with you.
  • Options
    johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Hello,

I run 36 PSI in the front and 45 PSI in the rear. I think the alloys tend to leak a little around the bead.
    I use a digital gauge.

I live on the coast in New England so mainly around sea level.

Always use premium fuel and personally prefer synthetic oil. I use Castrol Syntech but Mobil and others are just as good.

I try to buy fuel at newer gas stations that obviously have a high turnover. You can notice the differences if you get No Brand Name gas! At least I can.

I do very little city driving and lots of long distance type trips. Into Canada and up & down the East Coast.

Mileage has steadily improved over time.

At over 30k miles the tires still show very little wear and no vibration or wobble.
  • Options
    Hello,

Does your popping sound,seem to be coming from the roof area like something is hitting the roof? :confuse:
  • Options
    azchrisazazchrisaz Member Posts: 4
    No it does not. It sounds like the it is coming from the rear window.
  • Options
    hellpiehellpie Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 LR3 SE7 with almost 12k miles on it. Had the car serviced four months ago due to a low coolant message I was getting. At the time, the dealer replaced the coolant reservoir, saying there was a hairline crack at the bottom. A few weeks ago, the same low coolant message began showing up again. I topped off the coolant reservoir, but the message has persisted. I've made an appointment to take the car in to the dealer next week. I will keep you posted on what transpires.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The sensor is probably just being dumb. It is very very sensative and will throw a warning if the reservoir is only a pint or so low.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Land Rover unveiled its see-through "Land_e" technology concept, which showcases several new systems that will be available in production models within the next few years, at the Geneva Motor Show on Tuesday."

Land_e Concept (Inside Line)
    Steve, Host
  • Options
    kkonekkone Member Posts: 61
    hellpie:

I have 15K on my LR3. I too had my two reservoirs replaced because of the bad sensor and not because of a crack. The sensor is in the reservoir so the whole unit needs to be changed. I had mine replaced in Oct '05 and again in Feb '06. I too thought that the coolant was just low the second time, so I topped it off and still got the message.

Kevin
  • Options
    flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    The problem with the reservoir is the plunger get's water logged, which results in the low coolant message I would not let them swap it out with the same part#. It's will just give you the same message in 6 months. or worst yet when the warranty expires Land Rover must be coming out with a redesigned bottle.
  • Options
    From the Edmunds fleet:

Long-Term Test: 2005 Land Rover LR3

Steve, Host
  • Options
    windscreenwindscreen Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a 2005 LR3 with 17 thousand plus. Have had gas tank replaced and also the coolant level sensor/reservoir replaced because of faulty low coolant displays ( which annoyingly occurred on a trip to Canada). Every couple of weeks ( usually,but not always in cold weather and at speeds less than 25 mph when the truck is in normal driving mode ) the warning lights come on all at once-
    HDC fault, ABS system, DSC fault,ABS and the message usually reads," Park lock failure apply hand brake" ( which magically the "system" turns on. The first time this happened I was in shock!So I pulled over and turned the engine off,re-started an everything was fine. But this problem has re-occurred. I took the LR3 to Darien,Ct. and they checked the computer,cleared all the codes and said if the lights came on again,that the LR# would need a new rear differential. Well,they did and for the first time the system didn't clear itself after the turn off of the engine. It took 3 times and it cleared.I'm taking it to Mt. Kiscoe Landrover for a 2nd opinion. Personally I think the computer is faulty,since the transmission seems smooth. Anyone else have this persistent problem? Any comments on dealer servicing this issue?
    This truck has made three 2ooo mile round trips to Canada and one to South Carolina -- a combo of high speed highway driving and moderate 4 wheeling on lousy logging roads when at the destinations and except for these "faulty readings" it has been great.I find it comfortable and very well appointed , but am obviously concerned about this third in a series of problems.
  • Options
    manoftastemanoftaste Member Posts: 51
    I will be returning the loaner tomorrow to pickup my car from service, so out of courtesy, I decided to wash the car before returning as we have had some snow here a few days ago. Just didn't realize that the wiper was on auto setting. As the car went thru the car wash both wiper blades broke. The broken wipers kept moving as the car went thru the washing area so one of them also created a scratch on the windshield. Feel so bad and I will offer to pay for the damage tomorrow. Any ideas how much the wipers and the screen would cost. Can't believe this happened...
  • Options
    roverdawgroverdawg Member Posts: 30
    On some other threads, the same thing has happened to several LR3 owners. Turns out it was the rear differential and will not necessarily *feel* like a transmission problem. There is a LR Tech bulletin addressing this problem in HSEs with the Heavy Duty package.
  • Options
    Hey at least you will over to pay for it. Very well might be covered under some for of insurance but maybe not. The wiper blades are probably covered under warranty. I have had a couple of customers have their wiper blades replaced under warranty in the past couple of months from breakage of one kind or another.

I will assume that the LR3 had the heated windshield and is therefore kind of expensive.

We had a guy that busted a window out of a Loaner Range Rover we gave him and didn't offer to pay for it. Said the window must have just blown out because of the temp change between the outside and his heated garage. Yeah right we could see the dent in the window frame where something hit it.
  • Options
    strover4strover4 Member Posts: 2
    i did experienced a similar noise, when i first bought my LR3, and i was told by the dealer that it was the rear wiper; it went away for couple of days, after it was fixed, but it’s back again. I am about to take it back for service for some other minor adjustments; I will update you on the new “diagnosis”.

I have a question for the panel: when I turn on the ignition, a number shows up (for about a sec) at the odometer, before the milage info comes up; today it was –17. what does that indicate? I have had the car for about 2 months, and I am still trying to figure out what is what.

Thank you.
  • Options
    rea9390rea9390 Member Posts: 19
    I have 12000+ miles on my 05 LR3 loaded SE, Good Year , Wranglers. Noticed uneven wear at firt service around 6500 miles and dealer cross rotated tires. Now all four tires show some scalloping of the inside tread causing a vibration throughout the truck at highway speeds 65MPH+. Exchanged voicemail with service dept last week and they sound like they don't want to do anything about. I know others on this thread have had the same experience with tires. What have your dealers done? I want new tires and willing to pay for a proration....Thanks :mad:
  • Options
    toddmkochtoddmkoch Member Posts: 1
    I too have had noises from the back of my '05 LR3 now with 11k miles. I had two distinct noises one from the tailgate and one from the roof.

The tailgate was only audible at low speeds and sounded like a muffled metalic rattle. This turned out to be an adjustment was needed to the little wedge looking things that are on the upper tailgate. This took 6 trips to the dealer to fix.

The roof noise sounded like an acorn had fallen on the roof at the back of the car. This usually happens when the car is heating up. After two months in the shop the dealer finally removed the fixed glass roof panel and replaced it. Supposedly the glass was incorrectly installed at the factory and when it expanded during heating, it would hang slightly and then release which made the bang. However when the dealer reinstalled the headliner none of the over head lights work, there is a loose cable in the roof which now rattles and the second sunshade won't stay closed. My advice learn to love to rattle.
  • Options
    The little -17 should be how many miles you have to go to your next service if your service indicator is working properly. I would guess you have just over 7500 miles on the vehicle right?

For the tire issue REA was having just go right over their head to Land Rover if they are saying they won't do anything. We have had one person with a similar problem and after contacting Land Rover on their behalf they said they would pay for half of the tires since that is about how much mileage he has gotten out of them.

This guy want Land Rover to pay for all of the tires though even though he did get good half wear out of them and has only recently started having a inner cupping problem.

So now the fight is to make him understand that Land Rover is only going to pay to replace the back two tires at 50% since that is where the problem is not all four tires at 100%.
  • Options
    Its seems that the people that test these vehicles are the type of people that love to "complain". We all know these types! My comments regarding this article are...the time spent discussing the faulty glove box...oh my that is "Huge". Then the comment about the layout of the LR3's instrument panel being a disaster. Who ever made that comment must be the type of person who was terrified of programing VCR's and feels that TIVO is on par with brain surgery (probably still refuses to use e-mail or Outlook).Stick to the important stuff..recalls and items like the transmission delay. Pull's like a "weak 6" over the Cajon pass..are you kidding me...I just drove that pass (wife and 3 kids and loads of stuff), maybe he should spend some time reading the manual and learn how to acutally operate the car if he is going to make comments like that. How about put the car in "Command Shift"! The LR3 is tippy..what is the benchmark for the comparision a 911. For goodness sake's it's a full blown 5,500lb SUV not a car or cross-over SUV. Why dont you make those comparisions against, Hummers, Landcruisers, Navigators...etc.. Bottom line I love edmunds but I question their methodology & their "sky is falling" staff when reviewing cars. I will look elsewhere for credible reviews. :P
  • Options
    I think people (like the editorial staff here) who frequently drive a wide variety of vehicles are quick to spot ergonomic issues.

But hey, write your own review -- click on the Consumer Rating link towards the top of the posts. :D

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Yeah we can do that but I doubt consumer written reviews will get a post from a HOST pointing people to them.

It is like that previous review of the LR3 from the womens driving group or whatever. The headline stated LR3 falling apart which makes you think something really bad happend. Then you read the article and the Glove box handle broke. I hardly think that qualifys as falling apart. The plastic trim on the lower part of the doors coming lose has happend to me one time. And that was when I closed a door and the plastic bit got caught on a high snow bank. Ripped it off but I just centered it back on the mounts and then popped it right back in.

I understand the whole idea of putting something juicy in the headline to get people to read the story. I know that is even more important on the Internet then in newspaper since most of the time the body of the story cannot be seen at all till someone clicks on it but there is a fine line between an enticing hook and sensational yellow journalism style reporting.
  • Options
    flownerflowner Member Posts: 42
    What I got from this review is that the LR3 is a mediocre sports sedan. If the purpose is to tell people who are trying to purchase a sports sedan not to buy an LR3, I think the review is on target. :confuse:
  • Options
    Forgot to offer this suggestion for you:

Send a Letter to the Editors. They love mail. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yeah we can do that but I doubt consumer written reviews will get a post from a HOST pointing people to them.

Oh, go ahead and do it. Just let us know where it is and Steve will put up a link to it! ;)

tidester, host
    imageDrive on over to my place!
  • Options
    Well, I think technically British_Rover isn't a consumer since he sells them. ;)

But there a link at the top of the discussion every day to LR3 Consumer Ratings so it's not like they are hard to find without us promoting them. :shades:

Steve, Host
  • Options
    hellpiehellpie Member Posts: 9
    Dropped my 12,000 mile '05 LR3SE at the dealer yesterday morning to have the low coolant issue looked at. Service rep had the coolant reservoir replaced due to a leak. The service notes mention that the recovery tank was "pressure tested and found tank leaking." Is it possible that the coolant sensor doesn't look at fluid level, rather measures pressure and therefore needs an airtight seal? This would explain why I was still getting a low coolant message even though the reservoir showed as being full. Perhaps I will have to test that out; leave the cap off the coolant reservoir and see if I get a low coolant message. That will either make a nice pink mess or prove my theory right, or both.

Thank you to all who gave input on the issue. Hopefully this time the problem will not recur.
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Not possible. Coolant is not always under pressure. You'd have a light every day when the thing cooled off.

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    Well, I just did a nice long trip going 70 mph with the AC on and got 21.3 mpg. Road was mostly flat with only minor inclines, and about a 30 mph headwind. The Nav system is still a god-send to find your way, and I have had ZERO problems to date with the 05 HSE at 11000 miles. What a GREAT vehicle !!!
  • Options
    jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    21 mpg - that's incredible. After 12K miles I've never done better than 13 mpg in mixed driving, and not more than 18 on the highway - with no AC / no headwind. I know tire pressure makes a difference...I run mine per the owner's manual (I think it's 33psi in front, 36 rear.) - just curious, what pressure do run your's at?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Hey "jobie", glad you are here with us...I run the same pressures as you since I usually carry no more than two people, although for this trip I went to 35 & 38. I also never exceed 4000 RPM and that only very seldom - I drive like the people I used to cuss when I was young...I use Shell 91 octane gas and 5W-30 Castrol oil. I've yet to see less than 16 mpg (even in city driving) and have gotten as much as 24. That's as good and sometimes better than my little Tacoma 4x4 with the 6-banger and no load.

Be careful out there, and good luck with the Rover !!
  • Options
    jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    Thanks - maybe I'll up my pressure. It also may be the winter temps...I'm in upstate NY - I think the cold weather can negatively impact the mpg's, and my LR3 probably wasn't broken until late fall. I'm just surprised 2 identical vehicles can differ by that amount.
  • Options
    Hehe welcome to Land Rovers.

There is a little more variablity between the typical Land Rover and other typical mass produced vehicles.
  • Options
    sawdusterssawdusters Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone found good off-road tires and rims that can be put on our LR3 HSE. We live in the mountains of Colorado and find the tires it came with are inadequate for our off road needs. We wouldn't mind going to smaller rims for a larger profile if this would work.
  • Options
    knuckleheadknucklehead Member Posts: 30
    british rover- What mpg range does LR give to techs to help them determine if there might be mechanical concerns that need to be addressed? I'm just curious. I don't think anyone in their right mind buy's an LR3 for it's fuel efficiency. So I'm really just looking for a benchmark to keep in mind to gauge how it's running, since I rarely drive it and don't really know what it sounds like on a daily basis.
  • Options
    Honestly I don't know but I do try to send a little bit of time every week with our shop foreman to ask him those kind of techincal questions. I will add it to my list of questions for this coming week.
  • Options
    knucklehead, see my posting with my gas mileage for a reference: grommet, "Land Rover LR3" #3384, 26 Feb 2006 9:10 pm

Based on what I've seen, most people with actual engine management problems were folks that never exceeded 11 MPG on a "freeway only" trip.