Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    thebean said:

corvette said:

Sorry for your losses, ab348.

Same here.  That's tough to lose two buddies.

Thanks to you both. Once I came to grips with the reality that they were going to leave me I was able to go through it all fairly OK. I miss them both a lot more than I thought I would though since the two who are gone were the two that were closest to me in terms of affection and contact. I had gotten used to having them snuggle next to me when I was asleep. The two survivors are more standoffish.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    We had to put our dog down a few weekends ago, 14 years old and heart failure. Wife took it hard, the dog was partial to her. We are stopping by a shelter this weekend that took in some rescues from the flooding in Texas, so we may have a new pup in a few days.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,290
    toomanyfumes, sorry for your loss, also. One of the great things about rescues is that they are often a couple years old and are house trained and generally know how to behave. 

Any animal lovers here should watch the documentary "The Champions" on Netflix. It's truly heartwarming. 
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,820
    ab348 said:

thebean said:

corvette said:

Sorry for your losses, ab348.

Same here.  That's tough to lose two buddies.
    Thanks to you both. Once I came to grips with the reality that they were going to leave me I was able to go through it all fairly OK. I miss them both a lot more than I thought I would though since the two who are gone were the two that were closest to me in terms of affection and contact. I had gotten used to having them snuggle next to me when I was asleep. The two survivors are more standoffish.

So, are you saying that you are likely bad for their health? ;)

--------------

I enjoy pets. Growing up on a ranch, we cycled through them rather quickly, and the first few times one went missing or died, it was really difficult. But, it was a good life lesson, and now I enjoy them while I have them, and I don't miss them when they're gone: It is just the cycle of things, and, when it is said and done, I appreciate the memories they provide.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,985
    I had a crazy thought. Maybe instead of one $30k'ish vehicle such as the GLK or Q5, I could get 2 vehicles. Let's say a $16-18k H3 and a $10-$12k Audi TT. Hmmmm...

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,472
    qbrozen said:

I had a crazy thought. Maybe instead of one $30k'ish vehicle such as the GLK or Q5, I could get 2 vehicles. Let's say a $16-18k H3 and a $10-$12k Audi TT. Hmmmm...

That's a slippery slope my friend

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,684
    I like that idea, if you have the space for them all. I really need extra parking. but that is a fine idea. also easier to flip for new toys when you have spares and they are cheaper.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:
    I like that idea, if you have the space for them all. I really need extra parking. but that is a fine idea. also easier to flip for new toys when you have spares and they are cheaper.
    Exactly my thinking. Plus, my new job has me driving a lot. A low mileage, more expensive car is going to get used up mighty quick. 

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    hard to flip those too.

I like the audi A3 I found yesterday. that was a good deal. I just hope I find these (or another diesel scandal!) next year when I actually will be shopping.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    nyccarguy said:
    That's a slippery slope my friend
    Such is everything we do here, no? ;)

but something along these lines is what gave me the idea:
    http://www.maximumautooutlet.com/used-2007-MAZDA-MX-5-MIATA-Grand-Touring-manassas-park-virginia-20111/vd/92161

or this if i push the budget
    http://www.maximumautooutlet.com/used-2008-AUDI-TT-2.0T-manassas-park-virginia-20111/vd/99786

• Options
    you fit into a Miata at your height? interesting. I am 6' even, with short legs, and can't fit in one comfortably.

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    One downside is paying twice the insurance...
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    henryn said:

One downside is paying twice the insurance...

Not double, if you're with a carrier that allows multiple autos on a single policy. When I had two cars with full coverage and one driver (me), my premium went up maybe 50%. State Farm is the only carrier I can remember that issued a separate policy for each vehicle, which can potentially make it more expensive for those who own multiple vehicles. But, they may have a multiple vehicle discount to cancel out part of that--it's been several years since I had insurance through them, so I don't remember precisely, and they may not even do that anymore.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    so, I think I could learn to live with this one. loaded up, still has 15 months BtoB warranty. Love the color combo. And I still like small hatches. Not too pricey for a 2014 I guess.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2014-bmw-x1-certified_x1_xdrive28i_ultimate_awd_camera_slash_navigation-used-15310277.html

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Three coworkers (in a very small office) have had fender benders in the past week. A lease sounds pretty good next time, so I wouldn't have to deal with how much it's worth after body repair.

One of the three coworkers, the dealership crashed her car into another car while it was in for service. I'm amazed the dealer admitted it, since Swope VW mangled the door on my Jetta twice and wasn't forthright about it either time.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    stickguy said:
    you fit into a Miata at your height? interesting. I am 6' even, with short legs, and can't fit in one comfortably.
    I don't actually know. I remember once sitting in one (I believe 3rd gen) at the NY auto show and admiring how much legroom it had. More than the used S2000 I tried. First gen Miata probably would be too small, I'm sure.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,397
    Michaell said:

au1994 said:

"Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one is a life diminshed". Not sure who said it but it's very true.

My sympathy to all for your loss. I've known it all too well, twice.

To keep it car related my dachshund loves riding with the top down and his ears in the breeze.

You are a doxie owner?

I've got three ... none of them are great passengers. They all want to be on my lap.
    I am a doxie owner or rather he owns me. Good little dog, he likes the rest of the family but is very partial to me.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,272
    au1994 said:

Michaell said:

au1994 said:

"Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one is a life diminshed". Not sure who said it but it's very true.

My sympathy to all for your loss. I've known it all too well, twice.

To keep it car related my dachshund loves riding with the top down and his ears in the breeze.

You are a doxie owner?

I've got three ... none of them are great passengers. They all want to be on my lap.
    I am a doxie owner or rather he owns me. Good little dog, he likes the rest of the family but is very partial to me.
    Each of our three have distinct personalities.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2016
    This newcomer to the States could use some buying advice - it's the usual, wants the moon for $5,000.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,272
    stever said:

This newcomer to the States could use some buying advice - it's the usual, wants the moon for $5,000.

Steve, you linked to the user profile, not the thread ... :wink:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Hmmmm is right. Maybe you are on to something that might just work.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Thanks @Michaell - fixed.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    edited August 2016
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I don't actually know. I remember once sitting in one (I believe 3rd gen) at the NY auto show and admiring how much legroom it had. More than the used S2000 I tried. First gen Miata probably would be too small, I'm sure.

Back in '96-98 I had a '92 Miata 'A' package as a weekend driver. It was a fun car. I am average size, 5'8" and found it roomy enough. Today, however, as I am older and have, ahem, gained weight, might find it difficult to get in and out of as it sits so low to the ground.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Hmmmm is right. Maybe you are on to something that might just work.
    The TT seems to be good for tall people and it encourages me to lose some weight when I get in it, but not uncomfortably so.

Previous generation TT's were probably underrated, but I think VW/Audi found the magic elixir for a great handling chassis with the new MQB platform that started rolling out with '15 model compact VW and Audi cars. Of course, $30K won't get you anywhere near a new TT.

Would be interesting for you to go out and test drive the new platform (even in FWD GTI form), and get your thoughts and opinions since you owned the previous generation (or was it 2 generations ago?).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    I had an '08 GTI. Not sure where that falls in the GTI gen mix.

Climbing up out of a low-slung car is something that is getting tiresome, to be honest. I am not terribly old and am in good shape, so I have no excuse, really. I think maybe I just notice it more since I am driving so much right now. Seems I'd be more comfortable in something taller for all my commuting duties, then I could have the fun car for everything else.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    andres3 said:

The TT seems to be good for tall people and it encourages me to lose some weight when I get in it, but not uncomfortably so.

Best cars for dieters. I'll have to mention that angle to the home office. ;)

The minivan is kind of good that way - it's too hard to park close to anything, so you wind up walking more.

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730
    qbrozen said:

I had an '08 GTI. Not sure where that falls in the GTI gen mix.

Climbing up out of a low-slung car is something that is getting tiresome, to be honest. I am not terribly old and am in good shape, so I have no excuse, really. I think maybe I just notice it more since I am driving so much right now. Seems I'd be more comfortable in something taller for all my commuting duties, then I could have the fun car for everything else.

In VW language I believe the '08 is an MK5 version of the GTI (same as my '06 A3). The current models are MK7 or MKVII for those that like Roman numerals.

I've seen lifted old Toyotas, including 90's 4Runners, haven't seen a lifted GTI or Sportwagen yet. Would solve the "low-slung" problem.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Just got to total up my mileage numbers from my 2,653.2 trip from CT to FL & back.

Average MPG (actual): 18.15
    Best MPG (actual): 19.3 (twice)
    Worst MPG (actual): 16.1
    Total spent on fuel: $303.71
    Cheapest Gas (87 RUG): $1.789/gal in Charleston, SC
    Most Expensive Gas (87 RUG): 2.499/gal in Stamford, CT
    Longest distance between fill ups: 363.1 miles (Elkin, NC to Savannah, GA)

Not too shabby considering we had 6 people plus 2 weeks worth of luggage on the way down and 5 of us on the way back. My MIL was with us for a week, then flew home (and yes, her arms were tired). I had the cruise set between 70 & 80 most of the way.

• Options
    Too bad you explained it. I had a Clark Griswald joke all cued up!

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,999
    edited August 2016
    nyccarguy said:

Just got to total up my mileage numbers from my 2,653.2 trip from CT to FL & back.

Average MPG (actual): 18.15
    Best MPG (actual): 19.3 (twice)
    Worst MPG (actual): 16.1
    Total spent on fuel: $303.71
    Cheapest Gas (87 RUG): $1.789/gal in Charleston, SC
    Most Expensive Gas (87 RUG): 2.499/gal in Stamford, CT
    Longest distance between fill ups: 363.1 miles (Elkin, NC to Savannah, GA)

Not too shabby considering we had 6 people plus 2 weeks worth of luggage on the way down and 5 of us on the way back. My MIL was with us for a week, then flew home (and yes, her arms were tired). I had the cruise set between 70 & 80 most of the way.

I know you were heavily loaded including the luggage tray secured by the trailer hitch, not bad.. I have found that gas mileage decreases quickly when travelling 70 mph+. Ours is FWD, and we do have the cross rails for the luggage rack on the roof, so that causes some drag. The Pilot is like a brick pushing air. I can get about 24mpg if I keep it around 60-65, 70+, 20-22mpg. If I get 23mpg, I am doing a happy dance. Still it is a great long distance traveler.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    stever said:

andres3 said:

Best cars for dieters. I'll have to mention that angle to the home office. ;)

The minivan is kind of good that way - it's too hard to park close to anything, so you wind up walking more.

Heh? "Hard to park"?? I found the 2016 T&C that I had as a rental 2 months ago was very easy to park. I guess everything is relative.

• Options
    Well sure, you're coming from a 2015 Ford F150 crew cab. :D
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,820
    @nyccarguy : Wow! $2.50 was your most expensive fuel! I think current price around here is close to $2.80, so I expect that I am in for a treat on this trip next week.....!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    @xwesx - gas was definitely on the cheaper side. The $2.50 per gallon is when I filled up before I left CT. Good luck!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,758
    xwesx said:

@nyccarguy : Wow! $2.50 was your most expensive fuel! I think current price around here is close to $2.80, so I expect that I am in for a treat on this trip next week.....!

$2.19-$2.25 for diesel, around here. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,976
    $2.09 down here in South Florida as of yesterday so ain't too bad. Hoping it goes down to $2.00 by weeks end but who knows. Luckily, we both get pretty decent mileage.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    $2.80 in SoCal.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Was a passenger in a CLA 250 today at work and fell in love with it! It was black over black and a bit hot but what a really nice vehicle! A bit long but think I could get used to one but white over beige or grey over grey would fit the bill. Also had to go to the local M B store and sat in a GLA 250 and felt it was a bit too big for my purposes. Maybe taking the wife's A3 ain't such a bad deal!
    Keep thinking about that 128i I drove and think I could get used to it. The green Mini Paceman with the black alloys they had in the showroom was interesting also, a 2015 model they are trying to unload for $23 and change. Just wish it had nicer alloys and not crazy about the dash. For the forseeable future, staying with the Golf as probably would be nuts to trade it in so soon!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    after finding the few cars I posted last couple days (2015 A3, 2014 X1) I decided that going slightly used on a premium brand, and keeping the budget to just about 25K, is the way I should go next year. Can finance out for not much more than a lease payment would be, and still have something pretty new, with modern goodies, that I can keep a long time.

pretty sure if I went backward in technology (say, to 2010 vintage!) I would regret it. Heck, driving the RDX I get frustrated by how many goodies from my Sonata are missing, and how "old fashioned" it looks.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

xwesx said:

$2.19-$2.25 for diesel, around here. B)
    I guess I have to get used to looking at diesel prices, something I haven't done in a very long time. Still and all, I don't pay much attention these days, the prices are so blinking cheap that it's almost inconsequential. Now when I was driving the 2008 Passat 2.0T, I did pay strict attention. That thing needed 93 octane, and some of the gas stations charge a really ridiculous premium for that. HEB (grocery store chain) was usually at about 25 cents more for Premium, where the branded stations (Chevron, Shell, etc) wanted 80 or 90 cents extra.

• Options
    yeah, the variance between stations for premium is huge. even when RUG is withing a few cents, premium can vary .$50. and they don't put that on the board, so have to look at the pump, and be prepared to leave. Or what I did today, used gas buddy.

paid $2.05 for PUG. RUG was $1.69 (Citgo, top tier). Last Diesel I saw was $1.99 at a station that was higher than the Citgo.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328

Was a passenger in a CLA 250 today at work and fell in love with it! It was black over black and a bit hot but what a really nice vehicle! A bit long but think I could get used to one but white over beige or grey over grey would fit the bill. Also had to go to the local M B store and sat in a GLA 250 and felt it was a bit too big for my purposes. Maybe taking the wife's A3 ain't such a bad deal!
    Keep thinking about that 128i I drove and think I could get used to it. The green Mini Paceman with the black alloys they had in the showroom was interesting also, a 2015 model they are trying to unload for $23 and change. Just wish it had nicer alloys and not crazy about the dash. For the forseeable future, staying with the Golf as probably would be nuts to trade it in so soon!

I was reading up on the 2017 Audi Q3 and it seemed like a perfect fit for you. Have you ever checked it out? MSRP of around $31,000. and very nicely equipped.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    No, but going over to the Audi store in a few to get the A3 cleaned and vacuumed. Since I also have a $25K limit for how much I want to spend next time, will be limited on what I can get. If I stick to my current plan, the end of 2017 or mid 2018 would be the next time I would pull the trigger on anything. But even that depends on how long I continue to work and how the Golf is holding up. And there is the outside chance that I take over the A3 from my wife but that's not looking too good as I think I want something new or newer to be honest, something I choose.
    Luckily, there's nothing I have to do here as the Golf is working out very nicely. Definitely want a smallish ride and even like the Encore, saw a new white over brown last night and looked very nice. Like the size to.

• Options
    The q3 is real nice. Basically a new design luxury Tiguan. Can always CPO to keep budget friendly.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Definitely want a smallish ride and even like the Encore, saw a new white over brown last night and looked very nice. Like the size to.

Saw a white Enclave in the lot eating dinner out last night. My wife asked me what kind of Mercedes it was. Always strikes me funny that she's a Buick fan when I'm the one that grew up with them and she was stuck in various VWs her dad drove (her mom didn't drive).

• Options
    Saw the Q3 in blue and was nice but what really caught my eye was an A3 5 door in white over beige. My wife could see how I was drooling over this puppy and it's basically hers but in a hatchback. The Q3 was similar to my dear departed Tucson, which she pointed out right away saying why would you want to travel down that road again! Ack! So much for that plan and she kind of made it clear that the Golf is staying for awhile. But an A3 hatch could work next time or even a CPO'd model. No way did I tell her that I've been test driving a Mini Cooper or a BMW! Sometimes, best just to let lying dogs be and not rile them up. But I am formulating a few plans because once the Golf starts to have issues, it'll be gone from the pack in short order.
    This is why I'm so glad that we each purchase our own vehicles, just makes life easier when it's our own inherited funds that we use for these purchases. Keeping these funds separated is the best way to nip potential problems in the bud. I know what she paid for her present vehicle as I was there when we did the paperwork and helped at the end to get her the price she eventually paid. I did the Golf purchase alone and was pretty vague when she started to ask questions as felt it wasn't necessary to tell everything. Though some might think this situation odd, it works for us and keeps peace in the house!

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408
    Clock me for a pending punch on an A3 TDI. Deposit is down and I'll pick it up this week. Details over on the TDI purchase board.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138

Clock me for a pending punch on an A3 TDI. Deposit is down and I'll pick it up this week. Details over on the TDI purchase board.

I see Consumer Reports is saying that you poor downtrodden TDI owners deserve more money from VW:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20160805/OEM/160809851/consumer-reports-presses-u.s.-to-raise-compensation-for-vw-diesel

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,408
    @ab348 I think a few hundred dollars difference is not going to matter for most here. The folks who really ought to have their values reassessed are 2015 MY owners. NADA is giving a lot of those folks a 30% reduction in value for the first year, so even with the restitution, many of them will not be made whole. That seems unfair.
    2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    I am still annoyed I missed getting a ride on this gravy train.