Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,684
    I am going to the BMW drive event tomorrow. I know I signed up for an X1, though can't remember if also signed up for a 2 series. Might have only been 1 choice though. I forget now.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 242,272
    stickguy said:

I am going to the BMW drive event tomorrow. I know I signed up for an X1, though can't remember if also signed up for a 2 series. Might have only been 1 choice though. I forget now.

I just read that the X1 took top honors in a C&D comparo in September, against the NX200t, Q3, the new Infiniti QX30 and the GLA250.

The FWD inspired redesign of the X1 seemed to win over the panelists.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    I'm sure I will like it. which is probably going to be a problem, since I can't do anything about it!

• Options
    I have that issue sitting next to my chair. Just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,224
    edited August 2016
    I am not aware of anything with the engine specifically, but that era wasn't the pinnacle of MB quality, I would expect intermittent electrical quirks. It might be one of the later run of cars with "lifetime" transmission fluid (which was of course a lie/fraud), I would want to change it every 50K miles or so at most. The car in the ad is also Tex, not leather as the ad claims.
    Michaell said:

I like that MB. Decent miles and a nice low price.

AWD for me here in CO, as well!

Oh, look! An external satellite radio connection!

@fintail - any issues with the 2.6L engine?

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,224
    Had to have been a summer - only car, and sealed in a plastic bubble for the rest of the year. One would need to inspect it closely to make sure it is as it looks, but if it is, probably a fair deal.
    ab348 said:

How did that Corona survive in Maine since 1976? It it garaged in an oil bath?

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,290
    As I've said here many times before: A 12+ year old German car. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,976
    The test drive I took in the Mini last week wasn't long enough to let my spine really get a good feel. In my Golf, I always sit on a special memory foam cushion which let's me sit for a longer period of time. Any vehicle I'd get, I'd have the same cushion with me so the seat of any vehicle isn't usually an issue for me.
    Even yesterday, I drove back from Ft. Myers in a Chrysler 200 and the seat felt very comfortable for the almost 2 hour drive back to the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. Felt great to get back in the saddle for some long distance driving. Brought back some great memories from a few years ago and has me rethinking that gig again. Once season kicks in, think I might contact the company in West Palm Beach about coming back on a part time basis. Leaving Hertz isn't going to happen unless I can get a transfer closer to home as I do like it that much. So maybe working for that other company a few days each month might not be a bad idea.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Have seen a few CLA 250's online and they all have a ding in their Carfax reports, all had a minor or semi-major kiss. Not sure I'd even consider a vehicle that was involved in any kind of hit as even though it has been put back to like new condition, I'd know and I'd always wonder what they didn't find to fix. That's the issue I have with pre-owned, and always have had, what happened before I took possession. With a brand new vehicle, one doesn't have that history because there is no history to speak of. And at this stage, think I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the piece of mind that comes with brand new. Now if I did find a pre-own with a clean Carfax, that would be a different story, but am finding that for a Mercedes or BMW in a decent price range, it has too many miles for me. And really, and vehicle with 10K or under/year is where I'd want to be to be honest even though I know the average miles driven per year now is closer to 14K or there about.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,967
    suydam said:

I've never bought the same car Twice in a row. I think one of the reasons i replace cars is that i have different needs/wants. I'm not opposed to it, just haven't done it myself.

I've had 3 Panthers (2 89s and an 04), but all at different times. I did lease two Avalons back to back, but the 03 and 06 were drastically different cars.

Was talking to the wife about replacing the Enclave (about the same time table as Stick) and she likes the Grand Cherokee, but I think if we are stuck with another SUV I want three rows. Both kids are in car seats and we do take an extra person with us often. The extra room is nice.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    I had another grand plan. If I can find the right lease deal, on a car I really want to buy and keep, I might do a lease intending to buy it out at the end. That way, I get in for nothing down and not too high payments, and by the end of 3 years, will have much better cashflow to just buy it outright.

something like a TLX could work for this. Can't be too expensive, and needs a lowish residual but high lease support.

• Options
    Tom, sounds like the new "downsized" GM SUVs are nice. still 3 rows, but more manageable size, and supposed to drive nice.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,472
    The 3rd row comes in very handy for us. Kids aren't always on top of each other. Worked very well while driving to Florida with my Mother In Law; one of the kids say in the 3rd row.

This week we are hosting (2) 14 year old Lacrosse players from Fort Lauderdale, FL for the Macaabi Games (sort of a Jewish Junior Olympics). My wife drops our 3 kids off at camp, then drops off the athletes.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Tom - you guys might do really well leasing an MDX.

Stick - it is really hard to find a car that is worth it to buyout at the end of the lease. You'd have to find something with a lot of lease cash, a super low money factor, & a realistic (not pumped up) residual. The TLX (with a good amount of 2017s on the lot before the 2017s start rolling out) is a good example. $2000 lease cash, $500 competitive or loyalty cash plus I see $1,750 edmunds cash too.

I can see you in a GTI @stickguy

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I actually came up with the scheme thinking about a TLX! basically need a .50% or so residual (or lower) but massive lease cash to offset it. and an MSRP that is not too high. Some VWs could work, but not sure I want to buy and hold at the end. So might not work, but something to consider. more likely is lease cheap, turn it in, and find a good buy on something used.

I like the GTI. Wife is not a fan, and probably want something bigger. Plus I need to lose another 20 pounds (and that ain't happening) to squeeze into those seats!

another alternative is a not too used CPO with low APR and just finance out 5 years, then pay it off early.

when the time comes, there is going to be something that jumps out as the way to go. If not, I hold off, or buy something used and cheap.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,967
    edited August 2016
    @nyccarguy the MDX is on the list as is the Infiniti Pathfinder clone (QX I think).

@stickguy , I do want to check out the Envision, but the early ones have sticker stock to me. The one I saw was damn near the same price as our Enclave which is pretty well equipped. (Nav, Bose and pano roof)

TLX is a nice ride, don't see that many. Maybe they don't lease out all that well.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,985

With a brand new vehicle, one doesn't have that history because there is no history to speak of. And at this stage, think I'm willing to pay a bit extra for the piece of mind that comes with brand new.

However, buying new doesn't guarantee it has not been previously damaged, but it does guarantee it has zero chance of that damage showing up in a carfax.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Yes, but buying new does lessen the chances of previous damage to a small percentage, something I feel more comfortable with. Up until recently, have never had the excess funds to swap out vehicles often and with raising our 3 kids, the kinds of vehicles I could actually purchase were economy at best plus the time frame of ownership had to be somewhat longer. The wife was in a different situation. Now since we're done with the child rearing, things are different. We do have our middle child returning to the nest in 3 weeks but just until she finds employment, then she's out in her own place but this time, on her own dime!
    Am finally in a similar situation as the wife so I have raised the bar on kinds of vehicles and duration of ownership. But the logical and financial duo are still in the back of my mind and hopefully will make sure I do the prudent thing with the next purchase, for whatever and whenever it takes place.
    At the cusp of 21K on the Golf, it does everything I need with no issues to speak of. So even though I do peruse the marketplace, I've still not found any vehicle to make me want to pull the trigger like happened when I went from the Tucson to the Golf, nothing that screamed at me that I must have it now like the Golf did. All that tells me is that I chose the correct vehicle this time and even though I look to switch out of it, there's nothing out there yet to make this happen. And I am fine with that because I get to squirrel more funds away for the eventual purchase and get to drive a vehicle I really like. best of both worlds for me but not, for the chronic car buyer!

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,730

au1994 said:

Remind me again why I like them??

Well, older BMWs(and newer ones, if properly equipped) offer a combination of performance, comfort, and practicality that is very hard to beat. As newer enthusiast cars go, the only cars I might like better than my 2er would be the GT350, Boss 302, and Cayman S.

Cayman S is an awesome car---IMO, almost the perfect automobile if you could only own just one car. And yes, I know it can't haul a sheet of plywood. B)
    The Cayman S didn't blow me away; I test drove a '14 with about 25K miles on it. It had the PDK transmission which worked great, but I think I'm spoiled by turbos and superchargers for the ultimate feel of ample power on demand at all times. Maybe the one I drove was missing a cylinder or two, LOL. :) In all seriousness if someone had told me I just test drove a non-S Cayman I'd of believed them.

'15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    browsed the BMW showpalace today. went for the drive event. turns out I am an idiot. It is next Tuesday. oops. I got invited to 2 dealers. the one i did not pick was today. Oh well. I just looked inside instead.

2 series is nice. Plenty of room up front. Nice sport seats. Pricey of course.

they had a gorgeous Estoril blue 340i in there. pretty loaded, and best of all, a 6 speed manual! probably the only one in the place. But, MSRP was almost $62K! Outch.

actually, all their cars are crazy priced. decently equipped 328s were 49-52K I did find one lease special 320 out front, and even that pretty much sttippo model was 39K. Guess I should be shopping elsewhere, or not new.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    stickguy said:

actually, all their cars are crazy priced. decently equipped 328s were 49-52K I did find one lease special 320 out front, and even that pretty much sttippo model was 39K. Guess I should be shopping elsewhere, or not new.

Well, even back in the '80s, BMWs were always priced way beyond other comparable vehicles (assuming one accepts that there are indeed other cars that compare) and back then had the reputation of being the vehicle of choice for the moneyed Yuppie people you tended not to like very much, either out of jealousy/envy on your part or general obnoxiousness on their part. Cars for those that know the price of everything and the value of nothing, etc., was the sentiment back then. Sounds like nothing much has really changed. ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 said:

stickguy said:

Well, even back in the '80s, BMWs were always priced way beyond other comparable vehicles (assuming one accepts that there are indeed other cars that compare) and back then had the reputation of being the vehicle of choice for the moneyed Yuppie people you tended not to like very much, either out of jealousy/envy on your part or general obnoxiousness on their part. Cars for those that know the price of everything and the value of nothing, etc., was the sentiment back then. Sounds like nothing much has really changed. ;)
    I remember a HS classmate in 1982 got a 320i as a graduation gift. A year or two later, when I was in college, I stopped by the BMW dealer in Phoenix - 3-series were stickering for $15K then (that's about $36K in today's money).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,397
    Yes, BMW pricing is crazy. Have you looked at what a 435i convertible stickers for? Had I not found a dealer that was willing to get super aggressive on the X6, would not have made that deal. Buying on December 28th probably helped.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,763
    We bought an '87 325iS in 2011. Had the original sticker with the paperwork. $28,400.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    kyfdx said:

We bought an '87 325iS in 2011. Had the original sticker with the paperwork. $28,400.

That was my 1st BMW. Sticker sounds about right. I remember negotiating it down to an even $27K. That was before I decided to go to the "one offer" practice. Bought it at THE BMW STORE. Took me just about the better part of an entire Saturday to make that deal.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,820
    andres3 said:

Andres, you are just too spoiled with a TTs as your daily driver!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 460
    Another punch. The lease on my daughter's '14 Optima is up in Feb but took advantage of a great year-end deal with nice lease cash and leased a '16 SX Technology. Same terms as before, 36/12 on a car that lists for $4,500 more, residual about a grand more at lease end, and did it for $15 more a month. I'm not the type who normally shops for a monthly payment, but I know that's the game with leases. I don't put anything down but first payment, and roll tax/license in. Same scam as it's always been in Texas in that you pay sales tax on full amount on a lease, as opposed to only the portion you use.

So now I have two Optimas. No lease pull ahead programs at the moment but I should be able to flip the old one for right at lease buyout or maybe a little more. I'm usually good at moving cars on Craigslist and this one is clean with only 30K. I look at it as a project, and I also have a detailing job ahead of me. Worst case, I keep it until lease end and use up the 6K I have coming to me in lieu of putting that on our other cars.

New car is great and what an improvement over the 2014 in features, quality, safety equipment (the damn thing nearly drives itself compared to what I'm used to...), refinement, etc....The new one is also for my daughter. We just moved her into her dorm room today at Oklahoma State where we she starts as a freshman next week. This was another reason why I moved sooner than later. I didn't want to mess with getting a new car in the middle of a school year with her 4 hours away and there's no way the substantial lease cash or leftover 2016s would be around in Feb. I know, much more car (so was the old one) than a kid needs but she's an only child born to a car nut father, so what can I say.

Last, thanks as always to @Michaell and team for keeping me up to date on lease terms and cash. No way I could've scored the deal without that info.

2024 Ram 1500 Longhorn, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

• Options
    js06gv said:

Another punch. The lease on my daughter's '14 Optima is up in Feb but took advantage of a great year-end deal with nice lease cash and leased a '16 SX Technology. Same terms as before, 36/12 on a car that lists for $4,500 more, residual about a grand more at lease end, and did it for $15 more a month. I'm not the type who normally shops for a monthly payment, but I know that's the game with leases. I don't put anything down but first payment, and roll tax/license in. Same scam as it's always been in Texas in that you pay sales tax on full amount on a lease, as opposed to only the portion you use.

So now I have two Optimas. No lease pull ahead programs at the moment but I should be able to flip the old one for right at lease buyout or maybe a little more. I'm usually good at moving cars on Craigslist and this one is clean with only 30K. I look at it as a project, and I also have a detailing job ahead of me. Worst case, I keep it until lease end and use up the 6K I have coming to me in lieu of putting that on our other cars.

New car is great and what an improvement over the 2014 in features, quality, safety equipment (the damn thing nearly drives itself compared to what I'm used to...), refinement, etc....The new one is also for my daughter. We just moved her into her dorm room today at Oklahoma State where we she starts as a freshman next week. This was another reason why I moved sooner than later. I didn't want to mess with getting a new car in the middle of a school year with her 4 hours away and there's no way the substantial lease cash or leftover 2016s would be around in Feb. I know, much more car (so was the old one) than a kid needs but she's an only child born to a car nut father, so what can I say.

Last, thanks as always to @Michaell and team for keeping me up to date on lease terms and cash. No way I could've scored the deal without that info.

Congrats! Care to share the payment with us? I may be in the market for a mid sized sedan soon.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Michaell said:
    Another punch. The lease on my daughter's '14 Optima is up in Feb but took advantage of a great year-end deal with nice lease cash and leased a '16 SX Technology. Same terms as before, 36/12 on a car that lists for $4,500 more, residual about a grand more at lease end, and did it for $15 more a month. I'm not the type who normally shops for a monthly payment, but I know that's the game with leases. I don't put anything down but first payment, and roll tax/license in. Same scam as it's always been in Texas in that you pay sales tax on full amount on a lease, as opposed to only the portion you use. So now I have two Optimas. No lease pull ahead programs at the moment but I should be able to flip the old one for right at lease buyout or maybe a little more. I'm usually good at moving cars on Craigslist and this one is clean with only 30K. I look at it as a project, and I also have a detailing job ahead of me. Worst case, I keep it until lease end and use up the 6K I have coming to me in lieu of putting that on our other cars. New car is great and what an improvement over the 2014 in features, quality, safety equipment (the damn thing nearly drives itself compared to what I'm used to...), refinement, etc....The new one is also for my daughter. We just moved her into her dorm room today at Oklahoma State where we she starts as a freshman next week. This was another reason why I moved sooner than later. I didn't want to mess with getting a new car in the middle of a school year with her 4 hours away and there's no way the substantial lease cash or leftover 2016s would be around in Feb. I know, much more car (so was the old one) than a kid needs but she's an only child born to a car nut father, so what can I say. Last, thanks as always to @Michaell and team for keeping me up to date on lease terms and cash. No way I could've scored the deal without that info.
    Congrats! Care to share the payment with us? I may be in the market for a mid sized sedan soon.

Michaell said:
    Another punch. The lease on my daughter's '14 Optima is up in Feb but took advantage of a great year-end deal with nice lease cash and leased a '16 SX Technology. Same terms as before, 36/12 on a car that lists for $4,500 more, residual about a grand more at lease end, and did it for $15 more a month. I'm not the type who normally shops for a monthly payment, but I know that's the game with leases. I don't put anything down but first payment, and roll tax/license in. Same scam as it's always been in Texas in that you pay sales tax on full amount on a lease, as opposed to only the portion you use. So now I have two Optimas. No lease pull ahead programs at the moment but I should be able to flip the old one for right at lease buyout or maybe a little more. I'm usually good at moving cars on Craigslist and this one is clean with only 30K. I look at it as a project, and I also have a detailing job ahead of me. Worst case, I keep it until lease end and use up the 6K I have coming to me in lieu of putting that on our other cars. New car is great and what an improvement over the 2014 in features, quality, safety equipment (the damn thing nearly drives itself compared to what I'm used to...), refinement, etc....The new one is also for my daughter. We just moved her into her dorm room today at Oklahoma State where we she starts as a freshman next week. This was another reason why I moved sooner than later. I didn't want to mess with getting a new car in the middle of a school year with her 4 hours away and there's no way the substantial lease cash or leftover 2016s would be around in Feb. I know, much more car (so was the old one) than a kid needs but she's an only child born to a car nut father, so what can I say. Last, thanks as always to @Michaell and team for keeping me up to date on lease terms and cash. No way I could've scored the deal without that info.
    $390. Car listed for $35,665 and selling price after lease cash and dealer discount was $29,209. Then tax, license, acquisition on top of that. Tax alone accounted for $50 bucks of that payment. 

2024 Ram 1500 Longhorn, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

• Options
    heavy MSRP. That must be like my Sonata limited tech, with the ultimate package on top of that.

• Options
    Dang, the base SX has a lot of equipment like xenon lights for $29k, plus the 2.0T engine. I love the pano roof on my Murano. I wonder why they don't replace the 2.4 liter NA engine with the 1.6T.
  • Options
    stickguy said:
    heavy MSRP. That must be like my Sonata limited tech, with the ultimate package on top of that.
    Plus turbo. The Sonata and Optima price out within about $500 of each other comparably equipped but there is one more, the SXL, above mine. Only differences are Nappa leather, stitched door panels and dash, and a surround view monitor. 

• Options
    ah. did not realize that was the turbo. I don't have that.

Vette, they do have a 1.6t model (eco?), but that sits slightly above (maybe to the side) or the NA motor models.

• Options
    I saw that, I just think it's strange that their configurator shows:
    Base model - 2.4 NA
    Eco model - 1.6T
    Mid-level model - 2.4 NA
    High-end model - 2.0T

I would expect at least the mid-level model to have the 1.6T engine. And maybe the base model to have that engine without the fuel-saving goodies of the Eco model.
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    js06gv said:

Michaell said:

Michaell said:

$390. Car listed for $35,665 and selling price after lease cash and dealer discount was $29,209. Then tax, license, acquisition on top of that. Tax alone accounted for $50 bucks of that payment. 

Let's see, $29,209 x .0625 is $1,826. Divide that by 36 months and you get $50.72 per month WITHOUT any interest.

Yep, yet another reason why I don't do leases. When this subject came up before, someone here told us that if you bought the car at the end of the lease you did NOT have to pay sales tax again. Which is good, if and only if you buy the car at the end of the lease. If you don't buy it, then you paid the full boat on the sales tax ($1,826) for no gain.

If it works for you, that's what matters. And it certainly sounds like a very nice car!
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    stickguy said:
    ah. did not realize that was the turbo. I don't have that. Vette, they do have a 1.6t model (eco?), but that sits slightly above (maybe to the side) or the NA motor models.
    That 1.6T is an odd duck. Sounds like a good motor with positive reviews from all the car mags, but only avail on the base LX so you can't get it loaded with leather etc. Have to step up to EX for that, and then you're back in the base 2.4L again. The 1.6T LX is a new trim level for '16. 

• Options
    sounds like Texas really hoses you. at least in Jersey, the tax is only on the amount of your payments. so if you buy it out, only pay the tax you did not pay already.

and the 1.6 was positioned as a separate eco model, not an upgrade, but I could see them eventually replacing the 2.4 motor with the baby turbo. Gets really good mileage, and slightly quick too I think.

• Options
    I saw a new Civic Coupe the other day, so I went to the configurator to see what's what.

EX-T is just a shade of $23K MSRP, and has pretty much everything I would want, except a stick.

I'm starting to see some decent discounts from sticker on these, so I wonder how well they might lease.

Something to consider.

@js06gv - I didn't realize it was an SX. A little outside of my budget (arbitrarily set, by me, at < $300/mo). I might look into the EX, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2016
    Spy pics for the Civic Hatch are out. No SI yet, so no visible center tailpipe for the hot hatch crowd.
  • Options
    stever said:

Spy pics for the Civic Hatch are out. No SI yet, so no visible center tailpipe for the hot hatch crowd.

I saw the pix of the Civic Hatch - I'm sort of turned off by the rear styling.

Even the coupe and sedan are borderline for me - for all the great reviews they are getting, I suspect I may be getting too old for something so, erm, different.

Though, it was a woman my age, or a bit older, who was piloting the Civic Coupe I saw. Bright red, too.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    My wife thinks she likes it; she didn't have much time in the sedan in the showroom but it made an impression on her, so we're both looking forward to seeing the hatch in person.
  • Options
    stever said:

My wife thinks she likes it; she didn't have much time in the sedan in the showroom but it made an impression on her, so we're both looking forward to seeing the hatch in person.

With your lifestyle, I totally understand the desire for a hatch.

Ironically, I too am a sucker for a well-designed hatch or wagon. I just don't want another Elantra GT, and the other options (Mazda 3, Ford Focus), didn't really move me that much the first time I evaluated them.

That said, my criterion have changed since then - I'm no longer delivering, so entry/exit ease is not the priority it was then. Nor is MPG, since I'm driving maybe 100 miles a week at the moment.

I still think a mid-sized sedan would work - the market for these has slipped considerably, as more and more people want SUVs and CUVs - so the deals are pretty amazing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I still have trouble picturing you going to an ATM instead of using your tips as petty cash.

No interest in buying (ha!) but I want to look over the Pacifica soon. Got a day trip to El Paso planned in another week so hope to find a Volt to look at there. Should check the local inventory, haven't done that for a while.

Still none here, and still (supposedly) one in El Paso. The other one down there sold a while back.
  • Options
    stever said:

I still have trouble picturing you going to an ATM instead of using your tips as petty cash.

No interest in buying (ha!) but I want to look over the Pacifica soon.

Yeah, it's been an adjustment, for sure.

But, I've been enjoying having my evenings back - especially Friday.

Celebrating the step son's 30th birthday tomorrow night by going out to dinner.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Michaell said:

I saw a new Civic Coupe the other day, so I went to the configurator to see what's what.

EX-T is just a shade of $23K MSRP, and has pretty much everything I would want, except a stick.

I'm starting to see some decent discounts from sticker on these, so I wonder how well they might lease.

Something to consider.

@js06gv - I didn't realize it was an SX. A little outside of my budget (arbitrarily set, by me, at < $300/mo). I might look into the EX, however.

Really like the turbo motor in this car so went that route again. Feature-wise, the EX can be outfitted just as nicely as the SX (minus a few of the sportier bits like paddle shifters, spoiler, upgraded rims, red calipers etc). In my opinion, an EX is a downright steal compared to other cars in this class in terms of features and value. I'd take a hard look at it and bet it would come in at or below your target.

• Options
    Pic of the new ride. Every few cars, I'll gravitate back toward a black one again, so guess I'm back to obsessing over keeping it clean, especially since it will be outside at college and I'll only see it every few months. The old one is a nice metallic red, but it was time for something different. The car is the same model, different body style for 2016 but they stil look very similar. I think it looks good in black. 

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,138
    Michaell said:

stever said:

I saw the pix of the Civic Hatch - I'm sort of turned off by the rear styling.

Even the coupe and sedan are borderline for me - for all the great reviews they are getting, I suspect I may be getting too old for something so, erm, different.

Though, it was a woman my age, or a bit older, who was piloting the Civic Coupe I saw. Bright red, too.

The rear end styling of all the new Civics is really off-putting to me also, and the hatch picture I saw (probably the same one you saw) was the worst of the bunch. Unfortunate.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    @js06gv - congrats on the Turbo Optima Punch! Love the WS6 in the background!

• Options
    Michael, we do think alike. I have always loved hatches and small wagons. And miss having a stick. And yes, midsize sedans are a high value area now.

Also, the T model civic will come in a stick for 2017. And I think, supposedly, on higher line trims.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Michael, we do think alike. I have always loved hatches and small wagons. And miss having a stick. And yes, midsize sedans are a high value area now.

Also, the T model civic will come in a stick for 2017. And I think, supposedly, on higher line trims.

If that's true, I'd have to take a closer look at the Civic coupe. It's rare to have more than one person in the car with me, and so long as the trunk is large enough to hold my golf clubs, I'm good.

The last 2-door I owned was our '99 New Beetle .. might be time to consider it again.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator