Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    2017 should benefit from several TDI arbitrage punches.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    breld said:

Okay - been chatting with @michaell about this, but I'll update everyone here too.

We are registering a crazy 7th punch this year.

Wife decided on the MINI Clubman, which I wholeheartedly agreed with. She really does love her base model MINI, but would like more refinement, a bit more functionality, and some fairly common features missing from her current model (heated seats, navigation, rear camera, etc.). So a new MINI seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Here are some pics - we actually bought from a different dealer, but this is exactly what she got, color and everything. That blue interior is killer.

2017 Clubman S All4

The only thing really holding my wife back on this choice (over a used X5 or Evoque) was that she didn't want to buy "new." But we qualify for all the incentives, like loyalty and USAA rebates, so we were close to $4k off MSRP.

Considering the amount of "BMW" in these new MINIs, not all that bad for an AWD wagon. I was very impressed on the test drive on the refinement and agility of the car. And like it or not, the car has a lot of character compared to other choices.

Congrats!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Breld, if you are thinking of getting a base model Mini stick for the fun car, why not just keep the one you have? Maybe do a few upgrades to make it even sportier!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    So, the upcoming countryman, that is a bigger car than the clubman, on the new X1 platform? But I assume the same engine? Considering that for us next year!

And SDA, the EX CRV looks like a winner. Exactly the stuff I want, including cloth seats, and pretty sure not missing anything important (maybe homelink?) Though even that can probably be done as an accessory. And a great value at the price. I would even likely go with the FWD to save cost and better the MPG (to try and overcome the ridiculously small gas tank issue!)

• Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    @breld Congrats on the Mini! I love those colors as well, especially that interior, very nice.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, on the X1 platform. It's not THAT much bigger than a Clubman---about 1.5 inches longer but over 4 inches taller and about 1 inch wider. There's also a new plug-in hybrid version, with a mouthful of a name: Mini Cooper S E Countryman ALL4.
  • Options
    So update on the Touareg, after reading the posts from @28firefighter and @sandman_6472 about the behavior of their VW transmissions I had accepted that this was just be design and while annoying I could live with it for the life of the lease given how much I love the vehicle otherwise.

Fast forward to last week, when I first started it I got this error message below about "Check Cooling Fluid" it went away but this week it is coming back with more frequency. :worried: Now it's easy enough to top off the coolant, but my bigger concern is why is a 1-year old vehicle with 13k on it losing coolant???

If there was anything out there that remotely interested me I'd be looking to trade, but nothing really catches my eye. I did get several hours in my friend's new Tacoma last week, very nice and I actually like it better than the TLX he had. It doesn't have as many creature comforts obviously but overall the whole package is much more enjoyable.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    @jpp5862 I'd get that into the dealer ASAP. Keep on taking pictures of it when it comes up so the dealer can't argue with you.

My guess is this is unrelated to the transmission lag, but a problem nonetheless.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    jpp5862 said:

So update on the Touareg, after reading the posts from @28firefighter and @sandman_6472 about the behavior of their VW transmissions I had accepted that this was just be design and while annoying I could live with it for the life of the lease given how much I love the vehicle otherwise.

Fast forward to last week, when I first started it I got this error message below about "Check Cooling Fluid" it went away but this week it is coming back with more frequency. :worried: Now it's easy enough to top off the coolant, but my bigger concern is why is a 1-year old vehicle with 13k on it losing coolant???

If there was anything out there that remotely interested me I'd be looking to trade, but nothing really catches my eye. I did get several hours in my friend's new Tacoma last week, very nice and I actually like it better than the TLX he had. It doesn't have as many creature comforts obviously but overall the whole package is much more enjoyable.

As much as I like VWs, I've owned 7, this type of thing drives me nuts and is the reason I defected to other brands.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    andres3 said:

breld said:

Michaell said:

breld said:

By the way, we purchased the MINI from the same salesperson who sold us the 428xi a few weeks ago. I think we found a new friend.

I'm sure - his commission on your two deals probably made his mortgage payment!

Congrats on the punch!

How will you follow up in 2017? I think we need to have a separate set of guesses just for @breld each year.
    I guarantee 2017 will have fewer punches. This year was crazy, even for us.

I won't go crazy and say no punches, but I think it will be two.
    Didn't consider this before, but with the high MSRP of the Clubman 4S, looks like it is a VW Alltrack competitor at a higher price point of course. Is it much smaller you think?

Answered my own question by reading all the posts. Seems like it has a smidge more power than the 1.8T VW is using. The Alltrack is funny in that I think it will compete with the Outback on the large end, and perhaps smaller cars like the Clubman; sort of fits in between.
    The Alltrack was definitely considered by my wife and at times was a top contender. Just from looking at them, I'd say the Alltrack has a bit more backseat room and a significant amount more in the cargo area.

The MINI does have (IMO) more of a sporty dynamic in its feel, and of course, offers a more distinct look, inside and out.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options

@jpp5862 I'd get that into the dealer ASAP. Keep on taking pictures of it when it comes up so the dealer can't argue with you.

My guess is this is unrelated to the transmission lag, but a problem nonetheless.

I need to call them, I was planning to head out tomorrow for a 450 mile trip for the holidays, which I guess it would be fine to do if I keep some coolant handy......but still not what you expect on a $55k vehicle. Well maybe you do if it's a VW. :smile:
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Breld, if you are thinking of getting a base model Mini stick for the fun car, why not just keep the one you have? Maybe do a few upgrades to make it even sportier!

Well, of course that would make sense, and we will likely keep it for awhile, absent a strong trade from the dealer.

But...it's that super light blue (baby blue) with a white top and white stripes.

The current gen introduced in 2014 is vastly improved, IMO.

While I like the base engine in the current gen, the base one from the previous gen does leave a bit to be desired.

And did I mention...it's baby blue and white? Very cute for my wife - exactly what caught her eye in the first place, but I would prefer something a bit different. :)

• Options
    @jpp5862 - FWIW, our 2015 GTI had the same warning within a month or two of purchasing it. We topped it off, had the dealer look at it, and never had the problem again (well, in the year we owned it).

• Options
    breld said:

@jpp5862 - FWIW, our 2015 GTI had the same warning within a month or two of purchasing it. We topped it off, had the dealer look at it, and never had the problem again (well, in the year we owned it).

Thanks @breld, I'm sure I could top it off and probably be OK for a while. Of course this is in addition to the fact that it was 2 quarts low on transmission fluid in the fall. I can't say I wasn't warned, but it's disappointing to see all the negative stereotypes come to fruition.
  • Options
    got an email today from one of the dealer chains I got Audi prices from recently. They also sell RR, Porsche and VW apparently. Listing a few special leases (most of which were not that special!) But a few caught my eye.

a 2017 A4 premium (sticker ~41k, so lightly loaded I guess). $999 down, $349/month. Not terrible I guess for a nice car.

and the cheap one, that I would have called about if I needed cheap wheels right now.

2017 VW 1.4s, manual trans. Zero down, $99/month. Now that, is cheap. Can't buy/run a used car for 3 years that cheap!

both were no security deposit, prices don't include tax of DMV fees. I believe they were 36 or 39 months, and 10K/miles per year.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    If the coolant level was low to start with then cooler weather at startup might cause the telltale to illuminate. that said, I wouldn't assume that's the case.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

If the coolant level was low to start with then cooler weather at startup might cause the telltale to illuminate. that said, I wouldn't assume that's the case.

I actually thought about that, but if it's been low since day 1 I would have expected it to come on last year as we had some cold days in Jan/Feb, certainly much colder than today as it's over 60. I suspect there's a super small leak somewhere, probably nothing that would cause me grief over the remaining 24 months, but definitely the reason I'll be turning it in at lease end or trading out early. Which is ironic because out of all the vehicles I've leased this one was one I seriously would have purchased at lease end if it hadn't had problems.
  • Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    edited December 2016
    @jpp5862 Tough to get out of a lease this early. Still, I have known the feeling.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    breld said:

Okay - been chatting with @michaell about this, but I'll update everyone here too.

Wife decided on the MINI Clubman, which I wholeheartedly agreed with. She really does love her base model MINI, but would like more refinement, a bit more functionality, and some fairly common features missing from her current model (heated seats, navigation, rear camera, etc.). So a new MINI seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Here are some pics - we actually bought from a different dealer, but this is exactly what she got, color and everything. That blue interior is killer.

2017 Clubman S All4

The only thing really holding my wife back on this choice (over a used X5 or Evoque) was that she didn't want to buy "new." But we qualify for all the incentives, like loyalty and USAA rebates, so we were close to $4k off MSRP.

Considering the amount of "BMW" in these new MINIs, not all that bad for an AWD wagon. I was very impressed on the test drive on the refinement and agility of the car. And like it or not, the car has a lot of character compared to other choices.

I'm likin' that. Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    tifighter said:

@jpp5862 Tough to get out of a lease this early. Still, I have known the feeling.

Agreed, but I got lucky and they had $6k of lease cash when I took delivery. Last time I checked with Q on the RWTIV forum his number was within 3 digits of my payoff, so I may have an out if I need it. But again there's nothing else I'd rather have, so we'll see.

I'm sitting at the dealer now, the service advisor said "It's probably just a little low on coolant, we'll top it off." I asked why a 1 year old car with 13,000 miles would be low on coolant and he replied, "Well that's a good question, we'll check the compression."

I'm sure they'll just top it off and say all is fine. Worst case scenario I keep it for two years, it's just a hassle coming to the dealer all the time and paying so much to do it.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    jpp5862 said:

tifighter said:

Agreed, but I got lucky and they had $6k of lease cash when I took delivery. Last time I checked with Q on the RWTIV forum his number was within 3 digits of my payoff, so I may have an out if I need it. But again there's nothing else I'd rather have, so we'll see.

I'm sitting at the dealer now, the service advisor said "It's probably just a little low on coolant, we'll top it off." I asked why a 1 year old car with 13,000 miles would be low on coolant and he replied, "Well that's a good question, we'll check the compression."

I'm sure they'll just top it off and say all is fine. Worst case scenario I keep it for two years, it's just a hassle coming to the dealer all the time and paying so much to do it.
    Make sure they document in writing that they checked the compression. That way if something goes wrong, it is not because of your failure to act on it. I'm finding with VW right now that documentation is of supreme importance.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

breld said:

2017 Clubman S All4

I'm likin' that. Congrats!
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to having it in the fleet.

• Options

jpp5862 said:

tifighter said:

Make sure they document in writing that they checked the compression. That way if something goes wrong, it is not because of your failure to act on it. I'm finding with VW right now that documentation is of supreme importance.
    Thanks, I'll make sure it's documented. The last time I had it in for the transmission shudder they were very explicit in their documentation that "vehicle is operating as designed" and other CYA language.

I get VW needs to build goodwill right now, but I'm sure they also are worried about finances and cash.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Hi, Folks:

Been a while...

Might have a "dating" punch in the next few months, ladyfriend wants to upgrade her '07 Honda Accord. Is interested in the usual suspects; 3/A/C. I've shown her the Jag XE and Acura TLX, now on her radar. But, my guess is that she'll go with a 3.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    jpp5862 said:

breld said:

Thanks @breld, I'm sure I could top it off and probably be OK for a while. Of course this is in addition to the fact that it was 2 quarts low on transmission fluid in the fall. I can't say I wasn't warned, but it's disappointing to see all the negative stereotypes come to fruition.
    Could just be one bad apple at the dealership that didn't do the initial start-up delivery service correctly and skimped on the fluids.....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    like the brake fluid on my RDX that was low, when it should not have been. After checking it all over, the tire shop said it was all fine, and the brakes were at least 50%. So odds are, when the dealer did the brake fluid change, the tech did not fill it back up to where it was.

• Options
    not sure about the price (seems high to me) but I love wagons, and this one is pretty, and really loaded. No interior shots for some reason, so can't verify if it has sports seats.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2014-bmw-3_series-certified_328i_xdrive_awd_wagon_texh__xenon__nav-used-15827910.html

though I also like dark red, and hatchbacks. though this might be a bit of a barge.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2013-bmw-5_series_gran_turismo-certified_535i_xdrive_gt_awd_gran_turismo-used-15827919.html

though from practical standpoint, one of these would probably make a lot more sense.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2014-bmw-x1-certified_x1_xdrive28i_x_line_ultimate_awd_suv_cam__navi-used-15677520.html

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I thought I would end up with a 3er wagon, but the cargo area is so darn small. The 3GT is almost more practical thanks to the longer wheelbase.

But I get the appeal.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    I more want the shape (to transport a dog), but don't need a huge amount of space. But an X1 or Countryman actually probably makes more sense.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I like the X1, but that price seems high.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    stever said:

Congrats @breld!

Seven cars in one year. My wife and I have had 8 cars since we moved in together. In 1980.

My wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in August. :) During that time we have owned a '63 Wildcat, '68 Cougar, '75 Pinto, '82 Fairmont, '93 Topaz, and currently an '04 Focus, usually two cars at a time.
    All reached 150,000 miles except the Pinto which rusted to death after six years and 82,508 miles. :'( The Focus has 137,000 miles on the clock, so I just might be ready for a punch in a year or two. :D
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    @stickguy - that 3er wagon has a strange list of options. Dynamic Handling Package, but no Sport Package/seats?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited December 2016
    fordfool said:

stever said:

Congrats @breld!

Seven cars in one year. My wife and I have had 8 cars since we moved in together. In 1980.

My wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in August. :) During that time we have owned a '63 Wildcat, '68 Cougar, '75 Pinto, '82 Fairmont, '93 Topaz, and currently an '04 Focus, usually two cars at a time.
    All reached 150,000 miles except the Pinto which rusted to death after six years and 82,508 miles. :'( The Focus has 137,000 miles on the clock, so I just might be ready for a punch in a year or two. :D
    Forget the cars, congrats on that 50 year anniversary. Our 50th comes up next August. Car buying wise, we fall somewhere between you and breld.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    everyone falls between those 2 extremes.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Brake fluid on the Murano was low (but not low enough to trigger the idiot light) since I bought it. I topped it off before the road trip to NOLA and it's held steady since. I suspect the person who leased it never changed the brake fluid and the fluid level dropped due to the pads wearing. I should probably get it flushed at some point, since I think Nissan calls for it every two years.
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:

@stickguy - that 3er wagon has a strange list of options. Dynamic Handling Package, but no Sport Package/seats?

doesn't mention sports, but with the 17" wheels (my preference) not likely. Not sure about the seats, since it seems like by 2016 they got them anyway.

My son just arrived tonight with his new A3. Have not checked it out yet since it is dark, but will get to sit in and drive it tomorrow. I really like sports seats with adjustable thigh bolsters.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    @fordfool, y'all really should have celebrated with a new car. B)

My brother and his wife celebrate their 50th next May. Quite the milestone. Congrats!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    stever said:

@fordfool, y'all really should have celebrated with a new car. B)

My brother and his wife celebrate their 50th next May. Quite the milestone. Congrats!

Agreed!

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I've had a quite a few cars and have never once changed brake fluid. I guess I don't keep them long enough? My Grand Marquis was in the family since one year old and I know that had the original fluid. Brakes were never a problem only one set of front pads/rotors in 100k. Fronts were due again when I sold it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @breld - I'm racking my brain trying to remember your 7 punches:

SQ5
    JSW
    Base Mini
    Mini Clubman S ALL4
    BMW Grand Coupe
    Jetta

What did I leave out?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Congrats to Breld for the 7th punch this year....nice ride!  
    You remain the undisputed Grand Poobah of the CCBA group.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    nyccarguy said:

What did I leave out?

2012 BMW X5 35d (it was in January, so ancient history by breld standards).
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    fordfool said:
    Congrats @breld! Seven cars in one year. My wife and I have had 8 cars since we moved in together. In 1980.
    My wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in August. :) During that time we have owned a '63 Wildcat, '68 Cougar, '75 Pinto, '82 Fairmont, '93 Topaz, and currently an '04 Focus, usually two cars at a time. All reached 150,000 miles except the Pinto which rusted to death after six years and 82,508 miles. :'( The Focus has 137,000 miles on the clock, so I just might be ready for a punch in a year or two. :D
    Congrats on the anniversary!  Six cars in 50 years is amazing!  Good job.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    corvette said:

Brake fluid on the Murano was low (but not low enough to trigger the idiot light) since I bought it. I topped it off before the road trip to NOLA and it's held steady since. I suspect the person who leased it never changed the brake fluid and the fluid level dropped due to the pads wearing. I should probably get it flushed at some point, since I think Nissan calls for it every two years.

I was able to get my S4's low brake fluid sensors and lights and alarm noises to go off when I was taking very high G turns around a track. It wasn't low, but adding a few gulps of brake fluid kept the nanny features at bay.
  • Options
    fordfool said:

stever said:

Congrats @breld!

So, out of all those cars, which besides the Pinto was the most expensive to get up to the mileage you got them up to?
  • Options
    Perhaps the forum should vote on a new punch vote system to lessen inflation of punches. I nominate a new scoring system of:

1 point for a new car purchase.
    3/4 point for a CPO used car purchase.
    1/2 point for a used car purchase.
    2/3 point for a new car lease.

Is it majority rules, or is a 2/3 amendment super majority required?

• Options
    andres3 said:

Perhaps the forum should vote on a new punch vote system to lessen inflation of punches. I nominate a new scoring system of:

A punch is a punch. new, used, leased, CPO

• Options
    corvette said:

nyccarguy said:

What did I leave out?

2012 BMW X5 35d (it was in January, so ancient history by breld standards).
    Gotcha. I thought the X5 Diesel was a punch from last year. Thanks for jogging my memory.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

A punch is a punch. new, used, leased, CPO
    Agreed. IMO the only thing that shouldn't be is buying out your lease.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve