Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Thanks again for the compliments.

I have a car care question - when we got the home last night under the LED lighting in the garage, I noticed a lot of surface level scratches and swirls on the hood of the car, as well as a "blotch" from the bird dropping the dealer neglected to clean off while it was in their inventory. Again, only visible at certain angles under the right light. The paint still feels smooth.

I'm thinking a good polish, perhaps with an orbital, will take care of this, but curious if others have any specific advice on products? Griots? Chemical Brothers?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    breld said:
    Thanks again for the compliments. I have a car care question - when we got the home last night under the LED lighting in the garage, I noticed a lot of surface level scratches and swirls on the hood of the car, as well as a "blotch" from the bird dropping the dealer neglected to clean off while it was in their inventory. Again, only visible at certain angles under the right light. The paint still feels smooth. I'm thinking a good polish, perhaps with an orbital, will take care of this, but curious if others have any specific advice on products? Griots? Chemical Brothers?
    I’ve had good results with Sonax products. They have a paint cleaner that would be good for the bird poop.  The brands you mention or Sonax with an orbital would likely take care of the fine scratches and swirling. Just be careful as I’m sure you know. An orbital and a polish with too much bite and you’ve just created more problems. I might consider taking it to a pro and leaving it with them for an afternoon.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    edited November 2017
    Why detail a car you might have for 3 months? OK, 6 months max :)

Congrats on the Volvo. The blue will be classic, and the wheels look cool.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    And I will admit to searching for a Polestar in my area this morning.

shhhh...don’t tell my wife

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    fintail said:

I'm surprised they even get washed..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    au1994 said:

I saw one in the same blue paint as @breld 's locally here when they first came out. I was shocked.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    au1994 said:

There is one in Colorado that is available. Just make an offer.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    stickguy said:

au1994 said:

There is one in Colorado that is available. Just make an offer.
    Now that's funny.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

fintail said:

I'm surprised they even get washed..
    Hey now! :)

Actually, as long as the weather is decent, washing the cars on a weekend morning is one of my favorite things. Very therapeutic. When we bought our current house, we had them add a hot/cold water spicket inside the garage, which has proven to be well worth it.

• Options
    au1994 said:

breld said:

Thanks again for the compliments.

I have a car care question - when we got the home last night under the LED lighting in the garage, I noticed a lot of surface level scratches and swirls on the hood of the car, as well as a "blotch" from the bird dropping the dealer neglected to clean off while it was in their inventory. Again, only visible at certain angles under the right light. The paint still feels smooth.

I'm thinking a good polish, perhaps with an orbital, will take care of this, but curious if others have any specific advice on products? Griots? Chemical Brothers?

I’ve had good results with Sonax products. They have a paint cleaner that would be good for the bird poop.  The brands you mention or Sonax with an orbital would likely take care of the fine scratches and swirling. Just be careful as I’m sure you know. An orbital and a polish with too much bite and you’ve just created more problems. I might consider taking it to a pro and leaving it with them for an afternoon.

Thanks for the input - I'll look into those products. And I have long been thinking of getting an orbital, but as you point out, have always been a bit nervous about the potential damage that can be done. But, I may give it a shot.

• Options
    So bought some new snow tires today....for the MINI. The cost of snow tires or a full wheel set (to downsize the wheels) for the Polestar would be crazy expensive. So wife agreed to make the MINI her snow car - tires were much less costly for a 16" wheel vs the 20"s on the Volvo.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,411
    breld said:

So bought some new snow tires today....for the MINI. The cost of snow tires or a full wheel set (to downsize the wheels) for the Polestar would be crazy expensive. So wife agreed to make the MINI her snow car - tires were much less costly for a 16" wheel vs the 20"s on the Volvo.

For all the bad mouthing I heard about MINIs being awful in the snow, my daughter never got stuck in her first Cooper, even on the OEM all seasons. And, she drove out to a fairly rural area for work every day.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Speaking of tires, did the coopers go on the OB yet? Wondering how they are doing.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    The Zaino cult will tell you that swirl marks will be gone if you endure the whole procedure. I did (many years ago) and they were. Bring your lunch.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    I'm a Griot's guy. Love my 6" Random Orbital and all of their products.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguy said:

Speaking of tires, did the coopers go on the OB yet? Wondering how they are doing.

I thought I posted an update on this yesterday. Coopers were installed a week ago today. Drove it home, sat in the garage until Monday.

Wife took it to work on Monday, and had a TPMC warning. Took it back to the tire dealer - left front at 29 PSI, right front at 39 PSI! They are supposed to be at 35.

Not a good start...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Griot's used to have a nice orbital kit with all the stuff you need to get going. Seems like that would be a good and easy way to go. I have one of their orbitals and have been super pleased with some of the things I've been able to take out of paint. Well worth the money.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @breld, the Grand Poobah here, congrats on the Volvo!
  • Options
    Thanks @carnaught!

• Options
    The wife got me a Griot's kit of cleaning supplies a couple years back and I've been pleased with those, so I'll probably go with their orbital kit.

In the past, I've seen a Black Friday deal on them, so I'll keep my eye out. Black Friday tends to be the time I get all kinds of stuff I've been lusting after on sale...as opposed to buying gifts for other. :)

• Options
    breld said:

The wife got me a Griot's kit of cleaning supplies a couple years back and I've been pleased with those, so I'll probably go with their orbital kit.

In the past, I've seen a Black Friday deal on them, so I'll keep my eye out. Black Friday tends to be the time I get all kinds of stuff I've been lusting after on sale...as opposed to buying gifts for other. :)

Sounds like the Christmas tree is pretty bare on the 25th, if everybody is buying things for themselves ....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @breld, my laundry room closet and garage are full of Griot’s products. Most “work” very well and are gratifying to use. Although I do not consider myself a “greenie”, per se, they do not smell industrial, rather often smell like coconut, and are harmonious with the environment.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Nice Volvo, the S 90 I drove last week also was blue but not as bold. Still, that GLC was sure pretty in that color. Still liking a Mini Cooper though I know it would be a dumb move, I like the size mostly. But hoping the Golf behaves itself for a couple of years until I can get something newer.
    Guessing we're getting close to 40 on the new vehicle purchases for the year? Seems to be one of our better years!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    breld said:
    Thanks again for the compliments. I have a car care question - when we got the home last night under the LED lighting in the garage, I noticed a lot of surface level scratches and swirls on the hood of the car, as well as a "blotch" from the bird dropping the dealer neglected to clean off while it was in their inventory. Again, only visible at certain angles under the right light. The paint still feels smooth. I'm thinking a good polish, perhaps with an orbital, will take care of this, but curious if others have any specific advice on products? Griots? Chemical Brothers?
    A local distributor that I bought a ceramic coating from recommended 3M Perfect It three step system. It included orbital pads too. I did my wife’s black MB GL 350 Blutec and it came out perfect. I used a Griots random orbital polisher. 
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @Michaell would take the first one the GLC but they are boath nice cars!
  • Options
    @breld you are so welcome man! so witch car is next to go? saying like everyone elce type R or Darango bye new years eve! nice on getting the set of snow tires for the wifes winter car the minny!
  • Options
    coincidentally, I got a new Griot's catalog in the mail today and read it earlier. Plenty of orbitals and kits in it. I am afraid to use one, so just do it old school (wax on, wax off!)

Michael, sounds like a bad start with the Big O store. Can't blame the tires for that!

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    Michaell said:

Wife took it to work on Monday, and had a TPMC warning. Took it back to the tire dealer - left front at 29 PSI, right front at 39 PSI! They are supposed to be at 35.

Not a good start...

Maybe the tire tech thought the pressure in all tires just had to average 35 psi. :p
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    breld said:

Thanks, as always, for all the kind words. Believe me, it's not lost on me how nuts this quick switch was. My wife said I should share with everyone that she was at home this past week recovering from a minor surgery, and binge watched some Swedish shows with subtitles on the Acorn channel. So between that and the pain meds, that's her excuse! :)

I did get a lot of seat time in the wagon this evening, and it is pretty awesome. At first blush, it seems on par performance-wise with my previous S4 and 335. Transmission, despite "only" being 6 speeds, shifts smoothly and in a sporty manner.

And despite being an aging design, it has all the tech features we'd want, and then some - BLIS, parking aids, adaptive cruise, etc.

As @michaell pointed out, this fits my wife's style much better. First, it's a wagon, which is a good start. Then add the exclusive color and unique performance (for a wagon), combined with the "smart" Volvo brand, and I hope we have a winner.

I like it much better than the Mercedes, and as a Moderator, I get two votes. B)
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

breld said:

Thanks, as always, for all the kind words. Believe me, it's not lost on me how nuts this quick switch was. My wife said I should share with everyone that she was at home this past week recovering from a minor surgery, and binge watched some Swedish shows with subtitles on the Acorn channel. So between that and the pain meds, that's her excuse! :)

I did get a lot of seat time in the wagon this evening, and it is pretty awesome. At first blush, it seems on par performance-wise with my previous S4 and 335. Transmission, despite "only" being 6 speeds, shifts smoothly and in a sporty manner.

And despite being an aging design, it has all the tech features we'd want, and then some - BLIS, parking aids, adaptive cruise, etc.

As @michaell pointed out, this fits my wife's style much better. First, it's a wagon, which is a good start. Then add the exclusive color and unique performance (for a wagon), combined with the "smart" Volvo brand, and I hope we have a winner.

I like it much better than the Mercedes, and as a Moderator, I get two votes. B)
    I’m curious. Why?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    breld said:
    Hmm...well shoot.

We’re doing the paperwork now.  
    Congrats on the Volvo addition to the Breld Fleet.Just a suggestion, Breld - have you ever thought about redirecting your talent(s) and just buy a car dealership?  As a car dealership owner, you could join the local new car dealership association and buy a new or used late model car for not just invoice - but even behind holdback!!!

That would save you money, time and would make car buying intriguingly “delicious”!  B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    suydam said:

breld said:

I’m curious. Why?
    I dunno. It's subjective. You don't see them that often. I think it has character.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

suydam said:

breld said:

I’m curious. Why?
    I dunno. It's subjective. You don't see them that often. I think it has character.
    But how do each of them actually drive?
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    suydam said:

suydam said:

breld said:

I’m curious. Why?
    My $.02. Having driven the GLC back from Dallas, I got a lot of seat time in it. And it was an excellent ride. Smooth as you'd expect from the brand. Quick acceleration from the 4 cyl turbo and responsive auto trannie. Handling is competent, but nothing special or engaging - which I suspect is as intended. The best word I can think of to describe the vehicle is "elegant."

So very competitive in the segment. More similar than not to the Q5, X3 and XC60. So...different flavors to appeal to different tastes.

The Polestar has a completely different character in the way it drives...intentionally. The power of course is greater, and you can't help but notice the feel (and sound) of the inline 6. The steering, the handling, the power delivery - all much tighter and engaging. All that is at the expense of a harsher ride, but nothing we're not used to with some of our previous vehicles, and a cost we're accepting of.

I imagine a "normal" V60 feels more like a GLC, and an AMC GLC43 feels more like the Polestar.

But...the GLC300 vs the Polestar - very different feel.

• Options
    By the way, this previous weekend the wife and I browsed the BMW lot and saw a few examples of the new X3. It has evolved nicely - the lines are more interesting than before, and the overall look seems more substantial.

They had a M40i model in a cool new blue color and some handsome upgraded wheels. That one really caught our eye - there was no sticker on it, but from looking at the website, I think it's a $60k vehicle.

• Options
    Michaell said:

breld said:

Sounds like the Christmas tree is pretty bare on the 25th, if everybody is buying things for themselves ....
    Not everybody - just me. ;)

• Options
    abacomike said:

breld said:

Hmm...well shoot.

We’re doing the paperwork now.  

Congrats on the Volvo addition to the Breld Fleet.Just a suggestion, Breld - have you ever thought about redirecting your talent(s) and just buy a car dealership?  As a car dealership owner, you could join the local new car dealership association and buy a new or used late model car for not just invoice - but even behind holdback!!!

That would save you money, time and would make car buying intriguingly “delicious”!  B)

Well, I definitely have thought of working in some capacity in the car industry in a semi-retirement kind of way, but not so sure I'd be as ambitious enough to own a dealership.

But yes, if I could get access to a more affordable way of purchasing cars, it would be very helpful!

And thanks for the congrats!

• Options
    suydam said:

suydam said:

breld said:

I’m curious. Why?
    I've only driven the GLC, not the Polestar, but the older ones with the 6 cylinder engine appeals to me a lot.

The GLC was very smooth, nicely luxurious, and, for me, completely non-engaging. Pulse-lowering, not pulse-raising.
  • Options
    Hopefully in a few years I can move into some sort of transition into retirement job, and of course will try to make it involve cars. Like RB did. Sandy too.

• Options

suydam said:

suydam said:

breld said:

I’m curious. Why?
    I've only driven the GLC, not the Polestar, but the older ones with the 6 cylinder engine appeals to me a lot.

The GLC was very smooth, nicely luxurious, and, for me, completely non-engaging. Pulse-lowering, not pulse-raising.
    That sums it up nicely. The GLC was to provide a nice contrasting ride for my wife to the MINI Cooper - a welcome change for our lengthy commute when she didn't feel like driving the subcompact stick-shift vehicle. And it certainly was a pleasant change of pace, but perhaps a bit too much contrast for her tastes. With its superb seats, auto trannie and larger size, the Volvo accomplishes that mission while still being very engaging.

• Options
    Of course, that's after a full day of ownership and evaluation.

• Options
    based on all this, pretty sure my wife would pick the Benz. I would probably take a normal V60 instead.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Our Clubman has 15" conventional 75/65R15 tires on it. I'm thinking of buying a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5 all seasons. They tested well at Tire Rack and at $61 dollars each they are dirt cheap.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    edited November 2017
    Just out of curiosity, I looked up how the Fusion Sports are doing. Would you believe 2017s with fewer than 10k miles are only worth $21k-$22k? That is brutal depreciation. Great used car buy!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    so what, $25K from a dealer? Better than paying for new.

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    stickguy said:
    Hopefully in a few years I can move into some sort of transition into retirement job, and of course will try to make it involve cars. Like RB did. Sandy too.
    And me, too!  Remember, in my second life after retiring from administrative education, I sold Lexus.  Then, went into sales management at Infiniti.  Then, my second retirement.  When you love cars as much as we do, being around them day after day is a blessing.   B)

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    @stickguy I am with you like waxing the car and all to do with that the old fashion way don't want to tuch an polisher no I would mess up the pant in my case! lollollol
  • Options
    @breld nice rite up on your olde ride just traded in and the new one you just got the other day!
  • Options
    @qbrozen wowowow yes good used car bye that is for shore!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    No pictures yet, but the Subaru dealer has our GLC300 up on their site already.

GLC300

Hard to say what the markup really is, since the trade certainly seemed inflated so as to show a higher sale price on the Volvo. I'm genuinely curious as to why they do that? Is it because they need to show a certain profit on the sale of the used car? But then they need to do the same on the newly traded in car too?

In any case, it's listed about $3,600 above what we paid to the Dallas dealer for it, which seems about right for the regional difference. I'm sure glad we bought the one we did in that way - definitely minimized our overall loss on it.