Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    That is the only bid, likely a preemptive move from someone who desperately wants it. The attraction may be the 5-speed, plus the rep these have for lasting forever (at least in dry climates, not so much up here where they quickly became rust buckets).

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    edited July 2018
    Holy Crap on that 4Runner. My neighbor has this vehicle's twin and I just don't get it.

EDIT: It appears that there are two driving factors (1) it is a 5 speed, which is unique, and (2) it seems the opening bidder who dropped that $14k whopper has been looking for this exact truck for a while.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I would suspect that the seller (using an alternate identity) or one of his buddies dropped that bid on the 4Runner to try and spur interest and drive up the price. If true, he didn't use very good sense. An opening bid of $7k would look much better, IMHO.

If that isn't the case, and I were the seller, I would contact the admins and ask them to remove that bid because it will drive away any potential bidders.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @henryn oh man....sorry to hear about your pet. That's truly sad!

Regarding those 4Runners.....those things hold their value well....really well. Had an '03 that I kept for 4 years and 50K miles. Used it for hauling lots of tech equipment. Sold it for $4,500 less than I paid for it, which I thought was pretty good.

It didn't ride particularly well. It didn't get decent MPG. The floor was too high (at least for me). It handled like.....well.....a body on frame truck.

But, it didn't break. It was cheap to maintain. Only time it saw the dealership was for oil changes, and those were cheap.

No surprise about their reputation of going well into 200K miles territory.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    My wife just told me I need to gain some weight! Still between 140 and 145 and feel perfectly fit. Must admit that my 32" shorts fall off without a belt, which my poor kid saw last night! Am back to eating normal stuff but just not over eating. Guess a hospital stay and losing an organ can help one knock down some pounds even if not trying to!
    See my new regular doctor on Thursday to discuss my recent blood work but think things will be good. Since we've finally got the front office to realize I'm not "Barry" but "Sandy", things are o k. I know the doc felt a bit foolish calling me to tell "Barry" he was anemic and his cholesterol was too high!! I just laughed because [non-permissible content removed] happens in any doctors office since they've all got so many patients.
    The bills keep rolling in and just have to see which ones my health insurance has paid their part so I can pay mine. I can see how and why folks go broke over any hospital stay, their charges are obscene and ridiculous!! The latest was for my home health care and plain ridiculous what they charged for what little they did!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited July 2018

@henryn oh man....sorry to hear about your pet. That's truly sad!

Regarding those 4Runners.....those things hold their value well....really well. Had an '03 that I kept for 4 years and 50K miles. Used it for hauling lots of tech equipment. Sold it for $4,500 less than I paid for it, which I thought was pretty good.

It didn't ride particularly well. It didn't get decent MPG. The floor was too high (at least for me). It handled like.....well.....a body on frame truck.

But, it didn't break. It was cheap to maintain. Only time it saw the dealership was for oil changes, and those were cheap.

No surprise about their reputation of going well into 200K miles territory.

I had an 04 4Runner. I liked it as well. The truck like ride didn’t bother me so much back then, although it probably would now. Agree on the floor and the impact on seating position for long trips, just terrible. I drove it from Texas to Georgia and thought I would need physical therapy after that drive. But yeah, the trade in was phenomenal on it and I don’t think it lasted a week at the dealer where I traded.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    I guess Toyota must still be using that same underbody tooling for the Tacoma as it still has the "sitting on the floor" design combined with restricted headroom for tall folks, a winning combination apparently.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    The 5 speed is definitely unique but I think the opening bidder could probably have started with even half of what he opened with and still not arrived at his initial bid by auction's end.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    ab348 said:

I guess Toyota must still be using that same underbody tooling for the Tacoma as it still has the "sitting on the floor" design combined with restricted headroom for tall folks, a winning combination apparently.

A few years back, I went down for a test drive in a Tacoma. This would have been maybe 2012 or 2013. I did not fit, severely restricted headroom. So much so that I didn't even take the test drive.
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    pensfan83 said:

I've been scouring the country for clean Integras Preludes, or EM1 Civic Si's. There was a 2000 Integra GSR with almost 200K that still fetched $6,100.

I have found to get a relatively clean example of one of the cars above I would have to pay anywhere from $8,000 to $10,000 which is well over my budget. The ultra low mile Integra Type Rs are getting more than what they stickered for 18 to 20 years ago.

We'll see how the Prelude I found on Ebay looks in person on Wednesday, I have a number in mind but I'm willing to bet it's too low.

I was fine with just the lowly Civic DX '92 engine, which I think was a 1.5? I just simply flogged the hell out of it, and the car loves you more for it. A Honda is happiest over 5K RPM.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    pensfan83 said:

For today's BaT headscratcher....what in the world? And there's still 6 days to go. Am I missing something?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-toyota-4runner-5/

I saw a local one, 1998, nearly identical to that (not cleaned up quite as well, but similar miles/condition)... I think seller was asking $6,500. Seemed reasonable, TBH.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @qbrozen - yeah, that's the Sentra SE-R we were talking about. Just can't believe that price - the only thing I can figure is someone is a real Nissan enthusiast and had to have it for their collection. About an hour before the bidding ended, it was at $7,400, and I thought that was high.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Our first SUV was a 2000 Toyota 4runner - amazing how many fewer choices there were back then.

Soon after that, we had our first child, and drove the 4runner home from the hospital after my ex-wife had gone through a C-section. The rougher ride of that SUV was enough for her to allow me to trade it in on an MDX.

• Options
    Probably because this was a contender to my 1990 Civic Si that I bought back in the day, but I am strangely attracted to this...

1991 Integra GS

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Speaking of BaT, This did well

Nice car, but I didn't know we were there yet.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    $35k is insane for that wagon. Wow. 
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited July 2018
    fintail said:

Speaking of BaT, This did well

Nice car, but I didn't know we were there yet.

Depends.... if you are a passenger in that car, you probably AREN'T there yet!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    breld said:

Probably because this was a contender to my 1990 Civic Si that I bought back in the day, but I am strangely attracted to this...

1991 Integra GS

Looks like it is in shockingly good shape. I just don't like the story: A friend of my wife... And look where it is parked. Looks like a junk yard or storage facility.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    edited July 2018
    @nyccarguy do you garage your Prelude or use a car cover? Any notable issues with the latter if that's what you do?
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I like those integras. At the host price would work for me. Honda really did seats and dashes right in those days.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    pensfan83 said:

@nyccarguy do you garage your Prelude or use a car cover? Any notable issues with the latter?

I park my Prelude outside. I have a cover for it and am lazy so I don't use it very often. I feel like the cover is great for when you clean it thoroughly, maybe detail it, and park it for a while. I feel like if I don't use the cover, then I drive the car more. Also at it's current age, mileage, & condition (let's call the exterior a 6 - 6.5 out of 10), I don't feel the need for it like I did maybe 7 or so years ago when the car was still in 8 - 8.5/10 condition. If I ever get the cosmetic issues fixed which would require pretty much a full repaint, I'd keep it under the cover full time.

The other problem is if it rains and you want to take the car out, then what do you do with a soaking wet cover?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    All good points, thank you.
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

All good points, thank you.

You're welcome. Part of the beauty of my Prelude is that it is a Honda. It isn't a 911, Corvette, or some $100K+ Exotic.

• Options

• Options
    I probably should spend time at that site either

• Options
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    breld said:

Our first SUV was a 2000 Toyota 4runner - amazing how many fewer choices there were back then.

Soon after that, we had our first child, and drove the 4runner home from the hospital after my ex-wife had gone through a C-section. The rougher ride of that SUV was enough for her to allow me to trade it in on an MDX.

2000 - pshaw!

You think there was a lack of choices when you got the 4Runner?

We got our Trooper in 1988, before our son was born. IIRC, there were exactly 2 choices for 4 door SUVs - the Trooper and the original Jeep Cherokee. Everything else - Bronco II, Blazer, Pathfinder, 4Runner, Montero - were all 2 doors.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Meant to say not spend time there!

• Options
    Ooh. I could live with that.

I’m still leery of the process but I guess it’s legit. Afraid of getting burned. I assume the only extras are tax, and paying to register. Unless additional fees from the site or leasing co?

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    stickguy said:

I’m still leery of the process but I guess it’s legit. Afraid of getting burned. I assume the only extras are tax, and paying to register. Unless additional fees from the site or leasing co?
    A friend of mine took over a lease on a 2014 C-Class.. The guy told him it was 4yr/40K miles... but, after he took it over, it turned out to be 4yr/30K miles.. It was a sticky situation..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

A friend of mine took over a lease on a 2014 C-Class.. The guy told him it was 4yr/40K miles... but, after he took it over, it turned out to be 4yr/30K miles.. It was a sticky situation..
    Shouldn't that have been clearly outlined on the contract?
  • Options
    Michaell said:
    Our first SUV was a 2000 Toyota 4runner - amazing how many fewer choices there were back then. Soon after that, we had our first child, and drove the 4runner home from the hospital after my ex-wife had gone through a C-section. The rougher ride of that SUV was enough for her to allow me to trade it in on an MDX.
    2000 - pshaw! You think there was a lack of choices when you got the 4Runner? We got our Trooper in 1988, before our son was born. IIRC, there were exactly 2 choices for 4 door SUVs - the Trooper and the original Jeep Cherokee. Everything else - Bronco II, Blazer, Pathfinder, 4Runner, Montero - were all 2 doors.
    I do distinctly remember around the time I graduated high school in 1990 that these 4 door SUVs were quite the new thing!  

Ford would have had the Explorer by then too, right? 

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    edited July 2018
    I had a 94 Trooper back in the day. A burgundy-colored box with brown interior. It was great in snow and had a lot a room. It also drank copious amounts of oil and gas. Can you say "lifter noise"? I knew you could...

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    in the 80s somewhere, my BIL had a Trooper II. 4 banger, 5 speed. Kinda fun. Slow as heck. But great view out. And would go anywhere. Slowly.

• Options
    Speaking of swap a lease:

under $300 per month, 4WD, Convertible, 6-Speed Stick, over 1,700 miles per month allowed...

http://www.swapalease.com/mobile/lease/details/2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited.aspx?salid=1216066

• Options
    that seems too cheap. even with the $1,000 DP. But that would certainly work for me. Heck, would be fine with half the miles!

not really a convertible though, unless you want to wrestle that giant hardtop on and off! Probably has the T tops though. That works for me.

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

under $300 per month, 4WD, Convertible, 6-Speed Stick, over 1,700 miles per month allowed...

http://www.swapalease.com/mobile/lease/details/2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited.aspx?salid=1216066

That looks like an interesting opportunity.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Google US Bank Lease Return Problems. Word has it they are not forgiving and the process itself can be a pain. Possibly why this owner wants out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Shouldn't that have been clearly outlined on the contract?
    You think?

Due diligence was lacking.. Even the original lessee thought it was 10K/yr.
    The original lessee made him whole, but it left a bad taste in his mouth..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Google US Bank Lease Return Problems. Word has it they are not forgiving and the process itself can be a pain. Possibly why this owner wants out.

That's who my Tacoma is through.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    kyfdx said:
    That's who my Tacoma is through.. :p
    How long ya got left? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    qbrozen said:
    Experience of one but I had zero problems returning my 2012 LaCrosse leased through USBank. 

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319
    breld said:

Michaell said:

breld said:

2000 - pshaw!

You think there was a lack of choices when you got the 4Runner?

We got our Trooper in 1988, before our son was born. IIRC, there were exactly 2 choices for 4 door SUVs - the Trooper and the original Jeep Cherokee. Everything else - Bronco II, Blazer, Pathfinder, 4Runner, Montero - were all 2 doors.

I do distinctly remember around the time I graduated high school in 1990 that these 4 door SUVs were quite the new thing!  

Ford would have had the Explorer by then too, right? 

Yeah, I think the Explorer was introduced around 1990 or 1991.

We'd already ditched the Trooper for the Protege, by that time.

(Guess I was a CCBA-er long before meeting you folks - in 5.5 years of marriage, we owned 6 vehicles - Isuzu P'up, Honda Accord hatch, Isuzu Trooper, Mazda Protege, Nissan Sentra SE, Honda Accord LX sedan).

In the 25 years we've been divorced, the ex has had 5 - Accord sedan, Ram pickup, Hyundai Santa Fe (gen I), Chrysler 300, Santa Fe (again).

Hmmm, guess it's me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Explorer was introduced really early in 1990 as a 91 model.  If you think about it, that vehicle pretty much started the segment in the same way the first Dodge Caravan did.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

I am not an expert on leasing (far from it), and I'm not that familiar with Jeep Wranglers. But that looks a little too good to be true.

I can just see the robot from the original Lost In Space: Danger Will Robinson!!!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    pensfan83 said:

For today's BaT headscratcher....what in the world? And there's still 6 days to go. Am I missing something?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-toyota-4runner-5/

Here's one, way less than 1/2 the miles, 2/3rd the price. Also a V-6.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/2001-toyota-4runnerlow/6639957676.html

Here's a V-6, 1/3rd the price, and with fewer miles:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2000-toyota-4runner-limited/6623563637.html
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

Probably more likely that s/he finds it too punishing to use as a daily driver/commuter car.

• Options

• Options
    Shifty, both those trucks are automatics. Go find a super clean 5 speed unit.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Geez, I could swap in a manual transmission for a lot less rather than pay an extra $10,000 to have one.. Don't recall seeing a 200% add-on for manual trans in the KBB. This isn't, after all, a Ferrari or Corvette. It's a ...well...a truck.