Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    stickguy said:

well, I miss the absurdly warm and dry winters. This is more than enough for me.

just came back in from shoveling what arrived since I cleaned the driveway off at about 9 this morning. That was heavy (part slush). Only about 3"or so this time, but it was incredibly heavy snow. would be great for a snowman or making iceballs!

but, driveway and walk all clear. Hopefully don't get too much overnight. Will scrape it off after breakfast, then 1 last time later in the day once it is all over.

I hate winter, and despise snow. At least (so far) I haven't had a heart attack from it!

We got hit pretty good. My boss is in NW Jersey and got absolutely pounded.

Hopefully this is a one and done

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    nyccarguy said:

This is a shot of my deck. The grill cover hasn’t been cleaned off.

No thank you. We even had some flurries about an hour ago.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    High of 63 here in Colorado.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited February 2021
    Michaell said:

Oh great. Now even Colorado is rubbing it in for us getting the snow and the cold coming
    shortly for us here in OH.

Maybe the cold will reduce the 17-year circada population that going to have an uprising
    in a few months.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

Michaell said:

Oh great. Now even Colorado is rubbing it in for us getting the snow and coming
    shortly for us here in OH cold.

Maybe the cold will reduce the 17-year circada population to have an uprising
    in a few months.

The cicadas are smarter than that..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Michaell said:

Oh great. Now even Colorado is rubbing it in for us getting the snow and coming
    shortly for us here in OH cold.

Maybe the cold will reduce the 17-year circada population to have an uprising
    in a few months.

I have no doubt we'll get our fair share of cold weather and snow.

For us, the two snowiest months are March and April, so we are nowhere near the worst of it.

What's funny is that the owner of the franchise we have for the kids cooking studio wants to come visit us in the spring (she's in NC) - we try to explain to her that if she's looking for good weather at that time, she might rethink her plan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    We went to Keystone in consecutive years on Spring Break. 1st week of April. The town is about 9000 ft. altitude.

First year.. Heaviest thing I wore was a sweatshirt. Many days, high of 61 F
    Second year: 14" of snow in 8 hours. Never got above 32 F

(in town, not on the mountain)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    OK experts....

I just saw a video where two engine mechanics diagnosed an engine problem and one of the comment they made was that the sludge they found was due to synthetic oil that “crystallized” after many short trips where the oil didn’t heat up enough. The implication was that conventional oil would be better under these conditions.

That sounds counterintuitive to me.

Thoughts?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    I awakened here this morning to find about 8" of snow on the ground with it still coming down. It transitioned to ice pellets after breakfast and then rain later in the morning that came down in sheets for a while, followed by lots of wind. The good news is that the plows came by mid-morning during the transition and with the rain later the roads are now bare. My guy came just prior to that so my driveway, steps, etc are also bare. The plow left a mini-mountain at the end of driveways but it is supposed to be mild for the next 48 hours so I can tackle that once the wind goes away.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

OK experts....

I just saw a video where two engine mechanics diagnosed an engine problem and one of the comment they made was that the sludge they found was due to synthetic oil that “crystallized” after many short trips where the oil didn’t heat up enough. The implication was that conventional oil would be better under these conditions.

Thoughts?

That’s a new one on me. Where was this video and who are the mechanics?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    ab348 said:

I awakened here this morning to find about 8" of snow on the ground with it still coming down. It transitioned to ice pellets after breakfast and then rain later in the morning that came down in sheets for a while, followed by lots of wind. The good news is that the plows came by mid-morning during the transition and with the rain later the roads are now bare. My guy came just prior to that so my driveway, steps, etc are also bare. The plow left a mini-mountain at the end of driveways but it is supposed to be mild for the next 48 hours so I can tackle that once the wind goes away.

My wife and I were out shoveling the driveway early this morning when a plow came by. Instead of plowing that mini-mountain of snow back into the driveway, he turned his plow straight until he got past our opening then he turned to back to the right. It was nice of him.

He couldn't do that all the time, but there are only 2 driveways along this side of the whole road.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    edited February 2021
    qbrozen said:

OK experts....

Thoughts?

That’s a new one on me. Where was this video and who are the mechanics?
    YouTube-Deboss garage. They were tearing down a Coyote which looked like it had been buried underground and blaming it on design defects and synthetic oil.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited February 2021
    I've heard a few things which sound like legitimate concerns with synthetic oil (more easily pourable and might "stick" less to cylinder walls on infrequently used vehicles, leading to increased cold startup wear, etc.), but that is not one of them.

Also, my understanding is that even the cheapest "conventional" store brand oils have to be effectively at least some sort of synthetic blend in order to meet current API specs.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    my son was looking at cars again (only 11 months left on his lease!) and was asking about deals, so I sent him some screen shots of Rodo. He asked where they came from so I told him. Now he seems hooked looking at stuff. Only $717 S&D for a Supra! Also found a Tacoma he liked. Definitely not getting both of those. I suggested an X3 M40i for the price of the Supra and stick with one car.

plan of the day is a cheap (lease) DD/winter beater, and some sort of sports car for nice weather that can live in the garage. Though that can also be flipped to be a cheap sports type car, and a primary car that is nicer (hence the Tacoma which would even be practical).

This should be fun.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    I need extra opinions to know if I’m off.

So I was watching this Maser on C&B:
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3gGNeg8G/2008-maserati-quattroporte-executive-gt

Folks are chiming in what a great deal it was. I, on the other hand, and thinking “multiple owners, unknown accident damage, and existing lien.” $16250 plus fees.

Now, of course, it is no longer listed, so my comparison is trashed, but I had found an ‘07 (still with the ZF) with 44k, one owner, clean carfax, and better colors (blue over brown) for $16k asking. Which would you rather have?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    well, would like an inspection of course, and need to know what needs doing, but this one looks nice and super low miles. But probably the blue one, negotiated down.

Or, this beauty!

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rNYwlMy7/2005-volvo-v70r

• Options
    stickguy said:

well, would like an inspection of course, and need to know what needs doing, but this one looks nice and super low miles. But probably the blue one, negotiated down.

Or, this beauty!

200k miles? Good luck! ;b

• Options
    well, it does have a new clutch!

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    qbrozen said:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3gGNeg8G/2008-maserati-quattroporte-executive-gt

Folks are chiming in what a great deal it was. I, on the other hand, and thinking “multiple owners, unknown accident damage, and existing lien.” $16250 plus fees.

Now, of course, it is no longer listed, so my comparison is trashed, but I had found an ‘07 (still with the ZF) with 44k, one owner, clean carfax, and better colors (blue over brown) for $16k asking. Which would you rather have?

On a car like that I’d go with the one owner. The mileage delta isn’t that great I think you would have a better chance at a well maintained vehicle.

I know you are fearless, but at my old the company the owner leased one new. The FC Kerbeck loaner car was in his spot several times monthly. He replaced it with another 7 series.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

On a car like that I’d go with the one owner. The mileage delta isn’t that great I think you would have a better chance at a well maintained vehicle.

I know you are fearless, but at my old the company the owner leased one new. The FC Kerbeck loaner car was in his spot several times monthly. He replaced it with another 7 series.
    Oh, that's Ok. I still have a broken Benz in my driveway. Lol. It is snowed in at the moment.

• Options
    Hey, if anybody has any clue on how to decipher Chevy incentives, let me know.

• Options
    I would guess a lot of those vary from region to region, but I can't say for sure.

Apparently the LT1 has a killer lease deal going on now in the US, but it wasn't available up here last time I checked.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:

I was harangued when I was looking at a used MASERATI a few years ago. Y’all made good sense, and the more I read, the more I realize they are money pits and can’t be relied on by any metric. So, my advice, they’re too expensive at any price.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

This seems quite steep. Weren’t these under $40k new, and this one is six years old? Low miles, but still...
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Or, this beauty!

You obviously don’t share my high milage phobia.

• Options
    ab348 said:

I would guess a lot of those vary from region to region, but I can't say for sure.

Apparently the LT1 has a killer lease deal going on now in the US, but it wasn't available up here last time I checked.

Those are the numbers that came up when I plugged in my zip code.

Yes, the lease deal is why I'm even looking. Wife would kill me, and argue till she is blue, but I'm thinking this could be a money-making endeavor.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Hey, if anybody has any clue on how to decipher Chevy incentives, let me know.

Out of those, I think only the $500 Conquest Lease cash would be compatible with the lease program

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvette said:

This seems quite steep. Weren’t these under $40k new, and this one is six years old? Low miles, but still...

That is beyond steep. 4matic, yes? We're talking $17.5-$18k trade value there.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

Oh, that's Ok. I still have a broken Benz in my driveway. Lol. It is snowed in at the moment.
    What’s the latest status on that one. I seem to recall that you found out a previous hack mechanic put some parts in backwards or something.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

I wasn’t interested enough to click, lol.
  • Options

qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

qbrozen said:

What’s the latest status on that one. I seem to recall that you found out a previous hack mechanic put some parts in backwards or something.
    Yeah, so first go around, the timing still wasn't right and it was running rough. Took it back apart and found I was a tooth off all around. I decided to NOT try the "hey, this is where it was set before" method and just start from scratch. Put it back together, waited weeks for a stupid little plastic coolant connector that wound up costing me $100, and it is still running rough, although not nearly as bad as the first time. I have had zero chance to get into it. Could be as simple as a loose connector somewhere.

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    If I didn’t already have a used car “on order” I just might be trying a few things from carmax for a day! Definitely a good way to test out if a particular model will work for you.

• Options
    Maybe QB can do this, but I keep getting ads pop up from Carvana. They apparently are getting into wholesale now. Just have to log in with your Mannheim credentials, and I guess you can order up a lot full of units. One way to get rid of excess inventory, and trade ins that don’t meet their standards.

• Options
    Here's one of the articles on the LT1 Camaro lease deal:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-chevy-camaro-lt1-lease-deal-incentives/

• Options
    ab348 said:

Here's one of the articles on the LT1 Camaro lease deal:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-chevy-camaro-lt1-lease-deal-incentives/

Good grief. Dude is like a car salesman.
    Now, there's one asterisk to reach the magic $274 per month figure. The math includes a $1,500 discount for signing the paperwork on this lease from an old lease. If you aren't coming from another leased vehicle, the $1,500 discount doesn't apply. The deal also includes $274 due at signing, but that's peanuts compared to a typical lease down payment.

Ummm... no, that would include way more than one asterisk because you are forgetting tax, tags, and fees, and you're referring to a $35k model, which does not really exist. Most you will find are $39k+.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    stickguy said:

Maybe QB can do this, but I keep getting ads pop up from Carvana. They apparently are getting into wholesale now. Just have to log in with your Mannheim credentials, and I guess you can order up a lot full of units. One way to get rid of excess inventory, and trade ins that don’t meet their standards.

Except I utilize somebody else's credentials. LOL. I don't think he'd appreciate cars showing up on his doorstep in his name.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

The much predicted Dec.-Jan. collapse of prices never happened as far as I can see. Also companies like CarMax have a backlog of inventory that they overpaid for over summer that they have to unload.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Overpriced or not, all I'm seeing is the 24 hour test drive and 30 day trial period for Carmax.

Seems tailor-made for me. :D

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Well, he can order them up. Interesting concept, cutting out the auction, and probably some fees.

• Options
    On the Camaro, main drawback to me, is having to drive around in a camaro.

• Options
    stickguy said:

On the Camaro, main drawback to me, is having to drive around in a camaro.

455hp helps me forget. Besides, I'd probably put 1k miles on it, if that, before transferring. Come Spring/Summer, I'm willing to bet someone will give me a couple grand to have a $325/mo payment on one.

• Options
    If I got one it would be to keep full lease term. I hate sitting in one and would not have enough opportunity to use the extra HP to make up for that.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    What services have you all used previously to swap out of a lease?

I doubt I'd have a problem having someone take over my $98/month lease on the Leaf, and could probably have someone pay me a little for it. But my understanding is that while Nissan allows a transfer, the original lessor is still on the hook in some manner.

Which would be just fine if someone I know and trust takes over the lease...@michaell. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    breld said:

What services have you all used previously to swap out of a lease?

I doubt I'd have a problem having someone take over my $98/month lease on the Leaf, and could probably have someone pay me a little for it. But my understanding is that while Nissan allows a transfer, the original lessor is still on the hook in some manner.

Which would be just fine if someone I know and trust takes over the lease...@michaell. :)

I was going to reach out to you on that. Would like to arrange for an extended test drive, if possible. I almost, sort of, maybe have the missus on board.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    Correct - you'd remain on the hook in every way for the lease. For that reason I would not transfer it to anyone I didn't know well, and therefore would not use a service.

For the record, I typically just post on Leasehackr and Craigslist.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Except I utilize somebody else's credentials. LOL. I don't think he'd appreciate cars showing up on his doorstep in his name.

• Options
    I've seen a lot of "partner" cars offered on Carvana's site. The dealer offering them takes photos to their specifications and any identifying information in the background is very clearly blurred out. I think one of them was pretty clearly at a Tesla showroom.
  • Options
    My tlx went to a partner. Definitely bought and transported by Carvana though.