Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

I've seen this on several YT channels with current model trucks. Not sure how prevalent it is.

From a GM centric site.

A few days ago, we published a report highlighting the valve lifter issues some General Motors customers were experiencing in certain vehicles equipped with either its 5.3L V8 L84 gasoline engine or 6.2L V8 L87 gasoline engine. In light of this article, we’ve decided to provide some insight into how GM typically handles valve lifter issues on vehicles still covered under warranty.

If a customer brings their vehicle to a GM dealership and reports a valve lifter problem, the dealership will first determine whether or not the customer has experienced a previous valve lifter issue with this particular vehicle. If they have not and the vehicle has less than 8,000 miles on the odometer, the dealer will replace the lifters on both cylinder banks. If the vehicle has more than 8,000 miles, only one bank of lifters will be replaced.

If the customer has experienced prior valve lifter failures, dealers can choose one of three options: replace one bank of lifters and offer the customer a 60-month, 100,000-mile Powertrain Component Coverage Letter, replace the entire engine, or reach out to the District Manager of Aftersales for further guidance. The solutions are similar for a customer that has experienced valve lifter issues in the past and had one bank of lifters replaced. In this case, the dealer can replace one bank of lifters and offer a 60-month, 100,000-mile Powertrain Component Coverage Letter or reach out to the District Manager of Aftersales.

The aforementioned valve lifter problem affects 2019-and-later model-year Chevy Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 pickups, as well as 2021 model-year full-size GM SUVs, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, and GMC Yukon. More information on the issue is available in our dedicated report.

The powertrain warranty is longer than I'm likely to keep the truck, so I am not overly concerned. No one wants the hassle of dealing with such a problem, but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

My first choice would have been another Ford, I really like those EcoBoost engines in the F150. But the Ford dealers have very limited stock, and the 2 closest Ford dealers did not have a single truck in stock that I really wanted. If I'm going to spend in the neighborhood of $50k, I at least want a pretty color!

And Ford was only offering discounts running around $2 or $3k, and only on 2022 models. 2023 models (what few they had) were MSRP. Dodge (excuse me, Ram) was offering some hefty discounts, but only on 2022 dealer demos.

This Chevy is a 2023 model, brand new, is very pretty (I really like the color), and I got better than $7k off of MSRP. This 5.3L Chevy is the slowest of the bunch, but it feels quite peppy. 6.1 seconds 0-60 times from what I've read.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    Michaell said:

ab348 said:

henryn said:

The salesman was bragging about the integrated Google account (you get Google maps and Google assistant without a linked smartphone), but it turns out you have to pay $24.99 a month for OnStar to get the integrated Google. I will definitely pass on that.

OnStar is very expensive now. I think they have split it into 2 or 3 levels of packaging so if you want the full meal deal it gets pricey. I have never found it particularly useful although I have never needed to use it in an emergency. I guess enough people still subscribe and pay the monthly tariff that they make money though.
    The '06 ION we bought for my stepdaughter to take to college had OnStar - we thought that was a good feature as she was driving back and forth to school pretty much every weekend (100 miles, one way). Never had to use it in an emergency, but it was nice to be able to talk to her while she was on the road (the service had its own phone number for the car).

IIRC, the '08 VUE also had OnStar, and we used the service a few times for step-by-step directions to be sent to the car (this was before smart phones, Google Maps, and in-car navigation).

Now, I'm not sure I see the point of it.
    Ah the good old days. I remember using MapQuest to print directions and thinking what an improvement that was over an atlas or roadmap.

RE: the online services…I guess I’m an outlier as I have never paid for Sirius or XM. Except for when the service was new, I never even listen to it. I listen to my sports talk radio or stream music. And yes, I’m THAT old guy in the car next to you thats shouting at the radio telling them how wrong they are about a particular stat, play, team or player.

Never done the OnStar or uConnect beyond the freebie phase either.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @henryn,
    Congrats on the new truck and I kind of feel bad posting about a problem you most likely won't have.
    It was more of a PSA than anything.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    kyfdx said:

mjfloyd1 said:

Is there much difference between the 5.3 and 6.2 liter V8s?

0.9 liters
    ————————————————
    In a way I’m surprised he didn’t know that. But that’s what happens when you cheat on grade school math tests. B)

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    rayainsrayains Member Posts: 28
    henryn -
    Great looking truck!
    Best of luck with it!
    - Ray
    SUV driver - but still no truck...
  • Options

@henryn,
    Congrats on the new truck and I kind of feel bad posting about a problem you most likely won't have.
    It was more of a PSA than anything.

————————————————
    I know what PSA is for men but not for cars. There are too many abbreviations for me to keep up with.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    henryn said:

Michaell said:

@henryn - congrats on the new truck. Does that have a special Texas package on it, based on the illegible script on the front door? What trim is it? What engine?

Inquiring minds want to know.

It's the LT trim level, crew cab, with the Texas Edition package. 5.3L v8, the big screen (13.4 inch) Color Touchscreen, and 12.3 inch Digital Driver Information Center.

If I had seen that sticker even a few years ago I would have had a stroke but by today’s standards that’s average. We picked up a bunch of Ram trucks a while back @ $51k fleet price.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    mjfloyd1 said:

@nyccarguy said:

In terms of what? Performance? Gas mileage? Price? Design?

Performance, reliability

Seems like on Leasehackr, some shun the 5.3 but I have no idea why

I think because of the cylinder deactivation problems.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    edited February 2023
    henryn said:

Thanks for the heads up. The printed owner's manual, from the glove compartment, only has 157 pages. The downloaded PDF file does run over 400 pages, and has the information you quoted. I guess I didn't do enough searches within that PDF.

Why, on God's earth, should you have to? OTOH, you're the one in a thousand who actually cares about such things.

This, among other things, is why I keep vehicles for a long time.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    PSA = Public Service Announcement
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    I've come to enjoy SXM (for the right price, of course). I simply set a mix of FM and SXM stations as favorites, and scroll through 'em until I find a song that strikes my ever changing mood. I'm a serial channel flipper.
    The A7 does let you see the channel and song/artist currently playing, so can also quickly scroll to the desired channel. While distracting, Audi tech is cool, beautifully rendered. And, can control a lot from the steering wheel, otherwise distracting touchscreen.
    I, too, love buttons. But not as much as toggles and rocker switches!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Michaell said:

IIRC, the '08 VUE also had OnStar, and we used the service a few times for step-by-step directions to be sent to the car (this was before smart phones, Google Maps, and in-car navigation).

IIRC you had to call the OnStar 1-800 number and tell the operator where you are starting from and where you want to go, then somehow they would send it to the car to let you get confused when you tried to follow the directions. :p

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    Met @breld at the MB dealer for a couple of test drives. I rode shotgun and provided feedback.

First up was an EQE350 - this is the mid-size electric sedan. White over black with an $80K price tag. First impressions - even though this is meant to be the "E-Class" size, we both felt it was smaller than that; somewhere between an ICE C and E class. It's a sedan, even though the outline would have you believe it's a hatch. Not that it was uncomfortable, mind you, but it certainly has that "4 door coupe" shape to it. I fit fine in the front passenger seat. The ride was very nice - you could feel the MB DNA in it. Decent amount of tech, though some of it was part of the options list.

Second was the EQS580 - this is the big boy SUV, with the big motor, lots of power and better range. Green over tan leather, and loaded to the hilt. MSRP was pushing $140K. This thing was NIIICCCEEEE. Traditional SUV looks, though not a lot of ground clearance. Inside, there was a big screen in the middle, and, to my surprise, a screen in front of the passenger, which allowed me to control the audio while the center screen had a map of what seemed like the entire Denver metro area. Seriously - this thing was bigger than some laptop screens, and certainly larger than any Chromebook screen I've ever seen.

However, like most recent VWs, there wasn't a knob to be found in either vehicle. Haptic - get used to it folks, or plan on keeping your current vehicles for a good, long time.

I'll let @breld comment on the driving dynamics - as they have two EVs in the family at the moment, and a fair amount of experience with EVs in general, he's in a much better position to compare and contrast the MBs to other EVs he's driven.

Was good to get out of the house and do something other than go grocery shopping. Nice weather and good company made for an enjoyable 90 minutes of test driving and kibbitzing with the salesperson.

PS - we looked at, but did not drive, the EQS sedan (well, hatch). Looks to be a nice combination of the 4-door coupe looks but on a slightly larger scale than the EQE, and the EQS SUV. The dealer had a pretty blue over tan (hello, @stickguy!) on the lot.

In fact, there were probably 12-15 EVs available for immediate delivery, and there was some serious trunk money available, even before the $7500 lease credit that MB is offering.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

PSA = Public Service Announcement

————————————————-
    Thanks. Although there are many, I didn’t think it was Pitiful Service Advisor.

jmonroe
  • Options

I've come to enjoy SXM (for the right price, of course). I simply set a mix of FM and SXM stations as favorites, and scroll through 'em until I find a song that strikes my ever changing mood. I'm a serial channel flipper.
    The A7 does let you see the channel and song/artist currently playing, so can also quickly scroll to the desired channel. While distracting, Audi tech is cool, beautifully rendered. And, can control a lot from the steering wheel, otherwise distracting touchscreen.
    I, too, love buttons. But not as much as toggles and rocker switches!

————————————————
    I called Sirius XM today and did the dance.

The mailed bill was $350 for each car and like I said yesterday that wasn’t happening. The first reduction was for $151 per year via CC or Debit card. Nope not good enough. The second reduction was $10.99 per month but for a lesser plan than I have had and again it was only via CC or Debit card. Nope again. Then I heard something like $145 for the same plan with a mailed bill. Still a no go. Then, to avoid hearing about another plan, I said I wanted the same plan and price I had for 2022. That brought about an, “I’ll have to check to see if we can still offer that”. Two minutes later I got the 2022 price of $120 per year plus a $2 mailing fee. Easy peasy.

jmonroe
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

@breld , I must insist you mix things up. Enough MBs, MINIs, and VWs. C'mon. It is too confusing to keep tabs when you keep rotating between the same 3 vehicles. :p

Hold up - there have been a pair of BMWs recently, the Polestar isn't going anywhere soon and they have the Mach-E in the garage at the moment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    ab348 said:

Michaell said:

IIRC you had to call the OnStar 1-800 number and tell the operator where you are starting from and where you want to go, then somehow they would send it to the car to let you get confused when you tried to follow the directions. :p
    I was in the car recently when a friend of mine used OnStar. She simply pushed a button on the screen, and a human operator answered in 3 or 4 seconds. She said something like, "I need a route home". The man on the other end said, "No problem." Maybe 15 or 20 seconds later he said, "There you go" and the on screen Navigation showed up with the route highlighted. The whole thing took maybe 30 seconds, and all she had to do was push one button and speak about 5 words.

Color me impressed. But I'm still not willing to pay $25 per month. For $10 a month, yeah, I'd do it. But not $25.

• Options
    henryn said:

I was in the car recently when a friend of mine used OnStar. She simply pushed a button on the screen, and a human operator answered in 3 or 4 seconds. She said something like, "I need a route home". The man on the other end said, "No problem." Maybe 15 or 20 seconds later he said, "There you go" and the on screen Navigation showed up with the route highlighted. The whole thing took maybe 30 seconds, and all she had to do was push one button and speak about 5 words.

Color me impressed. But I'm still not willing to pay $25 per month. For $10 a month, yeah, I'd do it. But not $25.

I was referring to the 2009 version, where most GM cars didn’t have in-dash screens, just a little 2-line dot matrix text line below the speedo. I dunno if the turn by turn thing back then was just audio or if instruction also appeared in the little text display. But either way it must have been pretty crude.

But with my allergy to Nav systems, I’d probably get lost even now. 😩

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

@henryn said:

Siri can do that for free!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393

Did anyone here get an F-150 lightning or does anyone have an order in for one? I can’t remember.

2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    edited February 2023
    ab348 said:

Michaell said:

I had a free trial of that in my Pontiac G6 and I think I tried it out once. I mostly didn't like the "interactive" parts of OnStar. Calling to talk to an advisor felt like you were bothering somebody. I think the monochrome, low-res radio display would pop up with left or right arrows and text when you were supposed to turn, but I can't recall for sure. Anyway, I'm sure that functionality on that generation of vehicles is gone with the sunset of the 3G networks.

The monthly vehicle condition reports, the ability to have them read a check engine light code over the air, and (on the newer vehicles) the remote start, lock/unlock, etc., I find useful.

Also, I had a Garmin GPS by that point, where I could just type in a destination without having to call OnStar.

Anyhow, so long as I have a cell signal, the Waze app will find me a route home in a couple of seconds with two taps on the screen.
  • Options
    tjc78 said:

@henryn said:

Siri can do that for free!

And if you trust the AI in Siri then ... I don't know, words fail me!
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited February 2023
    kyfdx said:

@henryn Nice truck! Congrats!

+1 Nice looking rig @henryn.
  • Options
    We are supposed to get my wife's MKC back the middle of next week.
    One of my kids is visiting and they must have been talking about my wife getting a new car because my wife said the Corsair she is interested in is no longer listed on the dealer website.
    When I looked on my computer it's still listed in inventory, but on her phone it is not.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    edited February 2023
    Things move quickly in CCBA!

Congrats on the new Silverado, Henry! That red really pops, and I'm sure the dealer images don't really do it justice.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Quick review of the MB EQ models I drove today that @michaell referred to.

They both drove how I’d expect a Mercedes to drive…smooth acceleration, composed over bumps, quiet on the inside, and elegant interiors. Seems one of the knocks I read in reviews is that they don’t feel very sporty or engaging, but since I intend to have a separate sports (or sporty) car, the way these drive is exactly what I want out of this car.

The EQE 350 is the lowest powered offering in the “E” class, but being an EV, it was plenty quick. And to some extent, that lower powered motor may contribute to the smoothness of the acceleration. Size-wise, we thought it felt more between a C-class and an E-class, but that may have been due to the styling with its sloping roof. I looked at the specs when I got home and the EQE is a couple inches longer than my wagon, and meets or beats the wagon in all other dimensions too.

The EQS was noticeably more luxurious, as you’d expect with the higher price tag. This happened to be the 580 version, but the 450 4matic would be perfectly fine. The tester was the SUV version, so a fun comparison, but more apples and oranges compared to the EQE sedan. It was obviously quicker, but as I said, I thought even the EQE 350 was fast enough.

Everyone seems to hate the styling of these EQ models, but I find them elegant, particularly compared to the BMW iX.

I’ll be very interested to check out the EQE SUV when it arrives. That could be a sweet spot. Otherwise, I kinda like the EQS sedan, since it’s a hatchback. Sort of Panamera-like. But I looked at the specs on that too…206 inches long!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

@Michaell said:
    Hold up - there have been a pair of BMWs recently, the Polestar isn't going anywhere soon and they have the Mach-E in the garage at the moment.

Yeah I know, I know. Heck, I thought the Polestar was gone already. That and the Mach-E are the standouts he has had amongst the endless parade of MINIs and MBs. Oh, and there was that stint with a Bronco and a very short love affair with a Rivian. But then it is right back to the grind. Lol.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

@qbrozen said:

@Michaell said:

Yeah I know, I know. Heck, I thought the Polestar was gone already. That and the Mach-E are the standouts he has had amongst the endless parade of MINIs and MBs. Oh, and there was that stint with a Bronco and a very short love affair with a Rivian. But then it is right back to the grind. Lol.

There was an XC90 somewhere in that mix too.

• Options
    I had to walk around an XC90 yesterday afternoon. It was blocking the lane at HEB, another one of those "park in the middle of the traffic lane waiting endlessly for someone to load their groceries and vacate a parking spot". Which wasn't the point I wanted to make, what I noticed was how much that XC90 reminded me of a station wagon. I had to look twice to remind myself that it was an SUV, not a station wagon.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950

@tjc78 said:

@qbrozen said:

@Michaell said:

There was an XC90 somewhere in that mix too.

Huh, I don’t recall that.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I mentioned over in the C&C forum that I've been watching a couple of long videos of driving in SoCal in and around LA. One thing that jumped out at me was that I would swear 1 out of every 3 or 4 vehicles seen on the roads are Benzes. It is remarkable. Lots of Audis too, but surprisingly few BMWs and a few Posches but not many. Also the Camaro (esp the convertible) and Mustang seem to sell well there. Lots of anonymous Asian SUVs/CUVs of course, mostly painted white. Despite the video driving past the Ferrari dealer showroom on the PCH in Newport Beach, I don't recall seeing any supercars on the roads.

• Options
    ab348 said:

I mentioned over in the C&C forum that I've been watching a couple of long videos of driving in SoCal in and around LA. One thing that jumped out at me was that I would swear 1 out of every 3 or 4 vehicles seen on the roads are Benzes. It is remarkable. Lots of Audis too, but surprisingly few BMWs and a few Posches but not many. Also the Camaro (esp the convertible) and Mustang seem to sell well there. Lots of anonymous Asian SUVs/CUVs of course, mostly painted white. Despite the video driving past the Ferrari dealer showroom on the PCH in Newport Beach, I don't recall seeing any supercars on the roads.

MB are the Buicks of CA.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options

@henryn said:
    I had to walk around an XC90 yesterday afternoon. It was blocking the lane at HEB, another one of those "park in the middle of the traffic lane waiting endlessly for someone to load their groceries and vacate a parking spot". Which wasn't the point I wanted to make, what I noticed was how much that XC90 reminded me of a station wagon. I had to look twice to remind myself that it was an SUV, not a station wagon.

A new one like ours? It’s pretty tall, I’m 6’ and can’t wash the roof without a step stool.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@henryn said:

A new one like ours? It’s pretty tall, I’m 6’ and can’t wash the roof without a step stool.

No, it was older and more square looking. And it was definitely too tall to actually be a station wagon, but it still reminded me of one.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    henryn said:

tjc78 said:

@henryn said:

No, it was older and more square looking. And it was definitely too tall to actually be a station wagon, but it still reminded me of one.

The early XC90 did look like a jacked up V70 wagon..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

@henryn said:

Yeah I know the one you mean. Yes not that tall at all compared to the new stuff

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Michaell said:

MB are the Buicks of CA.

So what? I you like it, drive it. If you don't, don't. Who cares what other people think?

Oh yeah, stupid question.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    My wife's E84 X1 looks more like a wagon than an SUV.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited February 2023
    For what it’s worth, I did try out something new today. :)

• Options
    No punch or anything, but I have been intrigued by the GC 4xe. A nearby dealer had a slightly used, fully loaded Summit Reserve model, so I went and took a look and drive. Impressive for sure…compares well to the luxury brands, as it should given its price point. Naturally a bit buzzier with the 4 cylinder compared to my previous X5, but plenty quick and smooth shifting, as I imagine many of you know from the Wranglers you all have. I liked the regenerative braking feel - not as strong as most full EVs, but plenty of modulation with the throttle alone.

• Options
    Wow - that is something else. And 10 days in Norway…that’s incredible.

• Options

@breld said:

————————————————
    Only if you like ice cubes. Lesser performing employees will be sent there for a month this time of the year. :(

jmonroe

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

@breld said:

————————————————

Only if you like ice cubes. Lesser performing employees will be sent there for a month this time of the year. :(

jmonroe

Reminds me of the old joke about first prize being one week in Dallas, and second prize being two weeks in Dallas.

And then there's the one about, "I was in Salt Lake City once. It was closed."
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Michaell said:

ab348 said:

MB are the Buicks of CA.
    Don’t let @roadburner hear that!
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    QB's competition. Better start importing faster!

65 RHD imports. That is a lot of cars with steering wheels n the wrong side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lH-MTQF8NI

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited February 2023
    Fell in the bathroom about 4 am Saturday morning & really got beaten up. I hit the glass shower enclosure with my right side and hit the left side of my face on the toilet causing a bloody bruise. My right side is in a lot of pain and one of my fingers is black & blue...feel like a truck hit me! Broke the glass shower enclosure but the glass didn't shatter luckily so now we need to replace the whole thing or put a walk-in shower & take the existing tub out. But it's all unusable now which really sucks. Only positive here is that it could've been a lot worse to be honest. Still basically in bed and using the walker to get around. When I slipped, the cane went flying as I hit the ground. Glad my middle child was here for the weekend as she was quick to respond & get me cleaned up and back into bed.
    Life is never dull I must say! Guessing my blood pressure dropped which caused me to fall. Unfortunately, this is the third time I've fallen in less than a year in the middle of the night. Have decided to just start using the walker at night for the added support walking. This getting older sucks when we have issues & since my surgery in 2018, I've had more than a few falling issues. Having to use the bathroom at night is proving to be a bit problematic for me I guess. I've also been thinking a lot these past couple of days & think it might be time to either go down to two days a week at work or to stop completely as I've been having more bad days than good...not a good thing! When I see my pain doctor next Monday, will discuss this with him. Wanted to work another couple of years till I turn 70 but that just not happen. This chronic pain situation is getting a bit out of hand!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Learning to drive, I mostly used my mom's '70 Cadillac convertible or her '72 Lincoln Continental 2-door. Both were very large vehicles & the folks told me if I could drive them, I could drive mostly anything. I was happy to inherit my grandpa's '67 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme in my senior year. A bit smaller which was fine with me.
    Still enjoying my Sirius/XM radio even though I hardly drive much anymore. For the price we pay, definitely worth it to us. And now that we can use it on our other devices, it's more practical as I see it.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your accident, Sandman. We do have to be more careful as we get older. I learned the hard way, 10 years ago, when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom, sit on the side of the bed for a good 20 or 30 seconds before attempting to stand.

I got straight up from bed one night, walked 5 or 6 steps into the restroom, blacked out and fell. All in the span of 5 or 6 seconds. Luckily no damage, but it taught me a lesson.