Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,246
    So...
    Their was a Bullitt at the local Acura dealer. My bride was underwhelmed, and I still think it is too big for my tastes(Jeep is the only domestic brand she actually likes). I'd go with a 370Z if the telematics weren't so ancient; I still like the car- I just don't know if I could live with it long term. I found a private seller offering an almost new RWD M240i I'd pick it up if it wasn't the same color as my M235i- it's a manual with sunroof delete and virtually every other option. Best of all, it already has the M Performance Differential, exhaust, and aerodynamics installed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,850

Ok. Drove the Q5. No punch to report but I’m done shopping. This is what I want.

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015 with 36k miles - premium plus with tech package. Black over brown.

Car drove beautifully - even in regular drive mode the steering was tight and responsive, the suspension appropriately sporty without being punishing, and the transmission did a great job of keeping the car in the meat of its power band. As @sda mentioned, it will upshift for gas mileage, but I found that a moderate blip of the throttle and it downshifted easily. It was definitely more sluggish than say my GTI, but the AWD helped the handling immensely.

The B and O stereo is excellent, seats were supportive, and the interior just very upscale. This particular car was clearly well cared for, inside and out. No rattles, creaks or anything - I could be convinced it had half the mileage.

CarMax was asking $24,9 which isn’t cheap for a 2015. But what makes it worthwhile is that a 5 year B2B warranty extension out to 80k miles or so was only ~$2200. That’s half what the Audi dealer quoted me for a similar extension on a CPO car. That is the value proposition on a used ride like this.

Had I not had 4 more payments and a $350 dispo in front of me ($1500) I would have bought it, no question.

Ok. Drove the Q5. No punch to report but I’m done shopping. This is what I want.

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015 with 36k miles - premium plus with tech package. Black over brown.

Car drove beautifully - even in regular drive mode the steering was tight and responsive, the suspension appropriately sporty without being punishing, and the transmission did a great job of keeping the car in the meat of its power band. As @sda mentioned, it will upshift for gas mileage, but I found that a moderate blip of the throttle and it downshifted easily. It was definitely more sluggish than say my GTI, but the AWD helped the handling immensely.

The B and O stereo is excellent, seats were supportive, and the interior just very upscale. This particular car was clearly well cared for, inside and out. No rattles, creaks or anything - I could be convinced it had half the mileage.

CarMax was asking $24,9 which isn’t cheap for a 2015. But what makes it worthwhile is that a 5 year B2B warranty extension out to 80k miles or so was only ~$2200. That’s half what the Audi dealer quoted me for a similar extension on a CPO car. That is the value proposition on a used ride like this.

Had I not had 4 more payments and a $350 dispo in front of me ($1500) I would have bought it, no question.

When I drove the Q5 I expected to like it, but came away impressed. My wife always mentioned she liked the Q5 so when I brought it home for her to drive, she asked for my opinion. I said drive it and let me know what you think, I didn’t want to color her opinion as it was going to be for her. She really liked it and gave two thumbs up. Your summary matches mine. It is a very satisfying vehicle to drive and own.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 121,674
    Running errands today, I was in the middle lane of a three lane arterial road, between a red F-Type S convertible and a blue Mustang GT350. I could hardly hear the stereo, even with my windows rolled up.

A few cars back was a 911 GTS.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Posts: 33,344
    RB, if the car is everything you want, why should it being the same color matter? You planning to drive it, or paint your dinning room? :)

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

maybe I should actually go drive a Q5. I have only sat in them at this point.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,246
    stickguy said:

RB, if the car is everything you want, why should it being the same color matter? You planning to drive it, or paint your dinning room? :)

White over black was never my favorite combination; I'd prefer not to repeat it.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

oh. yeah, I hate that combo. Don't really blame you. I did not realize that is what your current car was.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 121,674
    stickguy said:

maybe I should actually go drive a Q5. I have only sat in them at this point.

I was fortunate enough to be a part of a test drive in an SQ5. Now, that was a nice ride. I imagine the Q5 is very similar, albeit a bit slower

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,862
    @28firefighter

Your experience was like mine with Volvo. Once I drove it I just “knew”

Today I drove it with AC off and windows open. It has a faint supercharger whine when you get on it a little... love that.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

• jpp75jpp75 DenverPosts: 1,403
    xwesx said:

jpp75 said:

The Rivian is definitely on my list.

Mine too. If only I could dispose of this Q7! :D

Fortunately I only need to dispose of a Tacoma. :D
    We really don't need to spend a lot extra for the hotrod model. as long as the base car is respectably perky, so a Q5 instead of an SQ5, or X3 30 instead of a 40. Volvo T5 instead of T6. all the smaller engine ones will be more than enough for us.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 4,513

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015....

Does a 2015 Audi Q5 have CarPlay/AndroidAuto?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,478
    benjaminh said:

I won’t bore you with all the details I gave Friday, but as a reminder this was a 2015....

No - but it has Nav, the B&O stereo, and I can stream music to the stereo via their MMI interface. Gives me what I have now in the BMW and what I had in the Stelvio, which is more than adequate.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
    nope. I think a current model year does though. But don't hold be to it!

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,109
    breld said:

qbrozen said:

I have started implementing a plan that may result in 1-2 punches for me this year, after all

Fun! Do share!
    I’ll keep the details under tight wrap and release as needed. ;b
    I did just post my 330 lease for transfer, though.

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,384
    Nice
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

qbrozen said:

I have started implementing a plan that may result in 1-2 punches for me this year, after all

Fun! Do share!
    I’ll keep the details under tight wrap and release as needed. ;b
    I did just post my 330 lease for transfer, though.
    Nice! Challenger?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

edited August 26

benjaminh said:

No - but it has Nav, the B&O stereo, and I can stream music to the stereo via their MMI interface. Gives me what I have now in the BMW and what I had in the Stelvio, which is more than adequate.
    The voice-activated navigation with Google maps that AndroidAuto has is really useful for me, esp. because I like to take trips to explore places I've never been to before, both locally and farther away. The ability to send texts is also useful, so that I can do things like say to my wife, "I'm going with my friend to a movie. Back about 9" or whatever. I also sometimes play my audio books in the car through Audible which is integrated into the app. I assume Apple's CarPlay has almost identical functionality. Anyway, I wouldn't consider getting a new or used car without CarPlay/AndroidAuto, but perhaps that's just me. Maybe you might consider trying to use a car with it to see if it's useful to you? Just a thought.

PS For anyone else who has AndroidAuto the new version is even better imho. For me it took a "forced update" for some reason to try it, but it's free and very good. Here's a 4-minute video from a guy who likes it too. He has an aftermarket unit for AndroidAuto, but I like it just built into the car.

If put in terms of a letter grade, here's how I'd grade the "ease of use" of built-in navi compared to voice-activated Google navi that comes with AndroidAuto....

AndroidAuto navigation: "A-"

Built-in navigation: "C-"

The built-in navigation is so cumbersome and awkward to use that really it seems more like a D to me. I only use it if I've forgotten my phone. But I used built-in navi a lot on my 2008 Accord, and it is available as a back-up in my 2018 TLX.
    Compared to google maps the TLX Navi is antiquated. And not easy to set. I only use it to have the map up when I dont need guidance, but want to see the map for some reason.

CarPlay is a must for the next newer car.

Q, good luck with the lease. But I thought you really liked it he 330?

I don’t think I could move from that to a barge of a dodge, even if it does make lots of cool roaring engine noises!

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,384
    I got bit by that manual transmission bug again this AM. We dropped the Pilot off last night (to be serviced today) for an oil change, tire rotation, slow leak in the right rear tire, & squeaky left rear window. 31K miles so far. Those of you who have been paying attention know that means my wife gets the Q40 and I drive my Prelude. 2nd to 3rd upshift to merge on to 95 this AM was a thing of beauty. A couple of perfectly executed downshifts to slow down and get off the exit. Traffic was light. I had the sunroof open. Man, I gotta test drive an Accord Sport 2.0 6MT or a Civic Si Sedan. We'll see how things go on the way home.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

I do like CarPlay. Having WAZE up to alert of traffic, police etc is a good thing. I wish the Enclave had it.

The Volvo allows the map between the speedo and tach which I really like. It was one of the first things I changed when I started configuring things.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

Brand, does your wife drive stick? If not that seems like a problem to replace your Q40 with a stick. That’s one of the reasons I ended up not doing it. Sometimes I need the RDX, leaving the wife with my car. She can drive manual, but is real rusty and would rather not.

I do miss it though. Eventually a toy will be the Solution!

nyccarguy said:

I got bit by that manual transmission bug again this AM. We dropped the Pilot off last night (to be serviced today) for an oil change, tire rotation, slow leak in the right rear tire, & squeaky left rear window. 31K miles so far. Those of you who have been paying attention know that means my wife gets the Q40 and I drive my Prelude. 2nd to 3rd upshift to merge on to 95 this AM was a thing of beauty. A couple of perfectly executed downshifts to slow down and get off the exit. Traffic was light. I had the sunroof open. Man, I gotta test drive an Accord Sport 2.0 6MT or a Civic Si Sedan. We'll see how things go on the way home.

It was a nice ride this morning. Cool and sunny. I had the sunroof open too and took the non-highway route into the office. Opened up the new machine a few times, it's deceptively quick. I have trouble believing it's a 4cyl.

Even my TLX with only 206 HP Is deceptively quick. I’m a big fan of the 2.0t engines. As much power as I’ll ever need, and still can get good MPG cruising.

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,109
    stickguy said:

Q, good luck with the lease. But I thought you really liked it he 330?

I don’t think I could move from that to a barge of a dodge, even if it does make lots of cool roaring engine noises!

I do like the 330. But since when does that matter? Lol.

Might be a dodge; might not. I’ll be looking at anything that makes good sounds and has immediate torque off the line. Since this is a 1 for 2 deal I’m attempting, practicality is less of an issue. But I’m in no rush. If the bimmer doesn’t transfer, so be it. Does not bother me at all.

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,478
    I’ve had CarPlay in my GTI. Was great. As long as I have a way to stream music and something for periodic navigation, I’m good, whether it’s carplay or OEM.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
  • au1994au1994 GAPosts: 1,638
    edited August 26
    stickguy said:

Even my TLX with only 206 HP Is deceptively quick. I’m a big fan of the 2.0t engines. As much power as I’ll ever need, and still can get good MPG cruising.

100% agree. While the neck snapping 300+hp in previous BMW's was nice, 200-225hp is a great balance for daily driving.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited Venetian Red over Black
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

stickguy said:

MPG (still on first tank) in the S60 is sitting at 20.6. Not impressive, but not awful considering the weight, power and driver.

• jpp75jpp75 DenverPosts: 1,403
    nyccarguy said:

I love this. Every time I drive the C30 I'm reminded of how great a manual can be.