Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    How smooth and quiet is the new 6 cylinder? Is it significanly smoother and quieter than the current 4 cylinder, which I think is a great engine? Did you get the push button start (smart key)? If so, how do you like it as it seems like it would be a wonderful feature, especially for ladies as they could keep their keys in their pocketbooks and never have to take them out. I wish we could do the same to get into our homes!
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    LOl... a common comment by Prius owners after getting used to the SKS on the Prius.."There are still metal keys being used in the world?'.. It is very very convenient.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Toyota generally recommends (not required) premium unleaded gas for its V6 sedans. It does increase the Hp, I am guessing maybe anywhere from 5 to 10 HP increase over regular unleaded. I think using premium could also increase your mpg by a gallon or two. So you get more Hp and better mpg, a tradeoff that is worth the extra 20 cents a gallon.
  • wtliao321wtliao321 Member Posts: 35
    I didn't know if it helps the HP or gas mileage. I have read some debates about whether or not using Premium gas on 07 Camry V6 engine. Personally, I think since it's a new car with a new engine, why not treat it well until it hits 30-50K?

I used to use regular gas in my 05 Accord EX-V6, and engine knocked and quite noisy. Then I changed to 89 gas and the car actually became smoother and quieter. 10-20 cents make difference. ;) I may use 89 later if gas price keep going up. I pay close to $40 every week now. Eh.. :(
  • wtliao321wtliao321 Member Posts: 35
    Yes, My car comes with Smart Key system. I got my car in Washington DC Area. Smart Key is a nice system but I think it's redundant to me. I am used to use key to turn on the engine, but now I have to keep it in my pocket and just feel something wrong with it. :confuse: However, it's a trend and evolution of the car, I believe in the near future every car will equip SKS. It could be very expensive to replace if you lost both of them.

3.5L V6 is really powerful and smooth, and quieter than BMW or Accord V6, but I don't like it's whining sound from the engine -it's just not my type. However, I got no chance to compare with I4 engine. I believe it should be quieter than I4, especailly on highway, lower RPM (2200rpm at 75mph) helps a lot. Ok, I only drove four V6 cars in my life -'99 Infiniti I30, '04 Camry V6 XLE, '04 BMW X5 3.0L and '05 Accord EX-V6. Personally I feel Nissan's V6 is the best. BMW and Accord V6 are noisy but fun to drive. '04 Camry V6 is also smooth and powerful, a great car, but exterior is boring.
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Does the 07 V-6 engine have the paper cartridge type oil filter or the standard spin-on filter???
    It's the same as any 'engine immobilizer' key system like in all the SUV's, Avy's, Corolla's etc. It is expensive but no more so than the others with both a key and a fob.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For this new 3.5L V6, we pretty much know the output differences on Regular and Premium; the Camry was tested using regular and is rated at 268 horses- the ES350-with ZERO difference in powertrain- was tested on premium and returns 272 horses.

~alpha
  • gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    Read from another forum. So sure&rest,no need to doubt 3.5L v6's performace. Hybrid is not a dog too :)
  • dinkerjilldinkerjill Member Posts: 12
    kasper sandusky oh 4 green great car
  • calipso27calipso27 Member Posts: 15
    I went out and test drove the new SE 4-cyl. this week and was quite impressed.
    Overall I loved the new look and enjoyed how it rode, plus it's got some nice new features.

I compared the Subaru Legacy 2.5i, Honda Accord EX-L and the new Camry SE. Each I liked for different reasons, but in the end I got the best deal on the Camry. I ended up getting an SE in Magnetic Gray w/ Charcoal cloth (included spoiler, JBL speakers, mats, alloy wheels) for only $300 above invoice - which was around $2,680 off the MSRP.

I was very pleased with the dealer I bought from - no nonsense. I asked for their lowest price and they delivered it without an hassle. Bought from a Toyota dealer in Grand Rapids, MI.

Any comments on what others are getting as far as MPG with their new SE?

-calipso27
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    sounds like a really good price on the Av - just a tad over invoice - unless, of course, it is being used aa bait. Avs have not been discounted hardly at all especially relative to what the other mfgrs. are doing. I own an Av Touring (with a couple thou of options) that I paid $30k for last April. It is a significantly different car (tighter & sportier) than the XL my wife has been driving. The Avs much larger particularly in the back seat. The Camry, obviously, should be about the same power - which is intoxicating. But, for $24k you should be able to buy leather and several other things you may want, if you stick with Camry - otherwise you end up spending high 20's or even low 30's on a Avalon Touring or XLS. Equalizing options there should be a $4k difference or so.
    Have not driven a new V6 Camry - but based on a year with my Avalon that '2GR' V6 is easily the best part of the whole car - smooth powerful, really good economy and something that Toyota has never really done before - a truly high performance engine. I have a feeling that you will find the Av XL generally softer and more isolating than the Camry XLE. From what I've read on the V6 Camry SE, it is much tighter, harder riding, more sports sedanish - even more so than the Av Touring which strikes a pretty good compromise.
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    Just cruised by my local Toyo dealer to see if any '07s have arrived. Only a couple bare-bones 4 bangers. But one of them sat right next to an '06 XLE. After comparing the two, I don't know - maybe Toyota was trying a little too hard. Don't get me wrong, I'm still definitely going to buy one, must have the 268 horses and 6 speed auto and refuse to settle for less. But I think the '06 is a better looking car on the outside, with the exception of the new headlight / tail light assemblies, which I think are superior. The front end almost makes me laugh, thought it would look right at home in the Jim Carrey "Grinch" movie. That front grill looks like those people's faces that lived in Who-ville!
    Just curious if I was alone here.
    Make sure to read the entire article FIRST to understand that the IIHS is using a new methodology. The Camry's rating is based on evidence presented by Toyota, and is being verified by the IIHS.

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr033006.html

~alpha
  • brupopbrupop Member Posts: 63
    tuffy said: "You got a great deal on an even greater car! Did you get the 4 or 6 cylinder and what color? Be sure and write back to let everyone know how you like it! We will look for your review weekly!"

dinkerjill responded: "kasper sandusky oh 4 green great car"

Thank you, Sargent Friday :)
  • waynethepainwaynethepain Member Posts: 31
    As a former Toyota Mechanic -- research and experience shows -- that the best for the V6 is to stick with a brand that is 87 or higher -- and do not deviate from it unless you start experiencing knocking or pinging. I have an V6 '07 XLE which runs fine on 87 Chevron gas. When considering if it's a waste of money or not to buy premium, I think Consumer Reports puts it best in this article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/premium-gas-a-wa- ste-of-money-1105-gasoline-pricing-high-octane.htm?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex- =1&searchTerm=premium%20gas

My only last word of advice, as a former Toyota mechanic but lifetime customer is: Don't buy the cheapest gas in town, stick with a good major brand at 87 octane or greater, and stay with it. Customers I have seen who switch brands often have had larger build-ups of carbon in their cylinders. Your car also has to re-learn the best combustion rate everytime you switch fuel brands. Sad to say but Ethanol additives show the worst carbon buildup of all. I am glad that California is fighting to continue its use of MTBE over Ethanol. Happy Driving -- love the V6 by the way -- smoked a BMW 340I and Nissan Maxima recently -- Have fun with the power!
  • tidewatertidewater Member Posts: 69
    I'd like to reiterate captain2's comments. The Avalon is a more expensive vehicle the Camry XLE compares with the Avalon XLE (not the XL). Avalon has just a few extras over the Camry. Comparing the Camry XLE I4 with the Avalon XLE, I found the price difference to be about $6,000, which I'm not willing to pay for. After driving the Avalon Limited V6 for a day, it is a true pleasure to be sure. The V6 is a joy to drive, and clearly more attractive than the 2007 Camry. Bluetooth is not available on the Avalon without Navigation. Additionally, I prefer the smaller size of the Camry for its better handling on small twisty streets, and parking garages, and parking. 4 cylinder (my preference) is only available on the Camry.

Tidewater
  • tidewatertidewater Member Posts: 69
    Regarding the 2007 Camry front end -- you are not alone. As a Jim Carrey fan, I think you are right on target about how silly the Camry front end looks like something out of Who-ville. However, the rear end is definitely improved in my opinion. The 2007 interior is far better than the previous version. But, it won't stop me from buying a 2007. They could replace the 07 Camry grill with the Lexus grill, the Camry 2006 grill, or the Avalon grill - either would be a major improvement.

Tidewater
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If the car is supposed to run on regular and it knocks, why not take it to the dealer to be fixed instead of spending 20 cents extra a gallon for the rest of the cars life to work around the problem?
    Yea, the rear end is all right, and no doubt the light assemblies at both ends are better looking on the '07. The blue interior is definitely different, but I agree it looks better than the previous generation. When I get mine, I picture myself saying to people "OK, the front end looks stupid, but it's what is under the hood that counts!"
    Frontal crashes: we've declared victory and moved on.

What's also interesting is that there are no side-impact nor 'whiplash minimization' tests. These still have to be done to give a complete picture.

Tks for the link njerald and tks for the pickup alpha01.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    I know the grille on the LE/XLE is a bit unattractive. BUT - It still blows away the butt ugly front end, from the windshield forward, on the Honda Accord. IMHO of course. :)
  • littlejohn600littlejohn600 Member Posts: 80
    Note that the invoice on a LE, w/Carpeted Mats only, is some $360 higher in the Southeast than the same car sold in the Central Atlantic Region.
    Or any region that isnt SET, for that matter.

~alpha
  • mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    I'm probably going to get hammered in this forum, but I just bought a 2006 Accord over the 2007 Camry last night.

I debated long and hard between the two cars, and on paper, the Camry is the clear winner. The two cars are very similar in terms of interior/exterior sizes, fuel economy, power (4 cyl.), ect. But the Camry redesign bests the Accord on several comfort/convenience/safety features (i.e. MP3 capability, drivers knee airbag, ect.).

However, two important items tipped the scales to the Accord...

For one, I tend to keep my vehicles for 10+ years, so I need a car with styling that is not going to look ridiculous in a few years. Unfortunately, I don't beleive the new Camry front end will stand the test of time. The newness/excitement over the redesign (especially the hood/grill) will quickly fade, and the exterior will look plain goofy in 2-3 years.

Another item about the new Camry that I haven't seen mentioned is the design of the audio controls, which appear to have been designed for gray-haired senior citizens with failing eyesight. The buttons/controls are HUGE, and 40-pt font is used for the audio control labels. I'm certain a legally blind person could read and operate the stereo just fine. I think braille will be an option next year.

The last reason for buying the Honda was an issue of handling. The LE 4 cyl. was just way too soft. It may suit a certain demographic, but not me. I don't drive like a nut, but I like to enjoy the car and have a little fun on twisty rural roads. The LE is not able to deliver on that criteria.

I considered the SE, which has a stiffer suspension and better handling, but it also has some major drawbacks. For one, the seats do not fold down, which substantially limits your ability to carry things. Folding seats come in very handy when you don't own a big truck or SUV. Secondly, the SE comes with that ridiculous looking plastic body moldings around the bottom. It looks like some 18 year-old kid bought an aftermarket body kit and slapped it on in his driveway.

I still think the new Camry is a fine car and will be suitable for a wide range of people, just not for me.
  • waynethepainwaynethepain Member Posts: 31
    Sorry Jaxs1 -- I meant to say once the car is at high mileage and begins to knock and ping. Thanks for pointing that out! Wayne
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Bluetooth is not repeat not available on the Avalon. With or without navigation. Also the Avalon is the XLS not XLE. :blush:
    Mackabee
    Must be a stripped down XL. And I mean stripped.
    Mackabee
    So basically what it boiled down to was styling preference and no-fold down rear seat on the version of the Camry that best suited your needs.

Makes sense to me....

~alpha
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    Toyota for many many years a leader in production of solid, reliable, and comparatively conversative cars. Don't know the exact statistics, but you gotta believe that the average Camry buyer is older than let's say those buyers of more aggressively styled and more powerful cars like the Altima, the Accord, and now even the Sonata. So love it or hate it, they 'fixed' the problem. Did the same with the 05 Avalon and quadrupled sales! So, I would imagine the look of the new Camry, combined with what could be construed as scary power in the V6 editions, will alienate some of the Camry faithful - but, if Toyota was going to be able to keep the car in the enviable market position that it has earned over the years - they had to do it.
    It will be interesting to see if Toyota can hold the new Camry's value on the dealer lots - or they end up succumbing to lesser competition.
    I understand where you're coming from. Haven't bought anything yet, but previously narrowed it down to an '07 Camry LE OR SE V6 or the LX V6 Accord. I looked long & hard @ the Honda, & have no doubt I'd be very happy if I chose to go with it, but for me I just couldn't get idea out of my head of getting the extra 24 ponies and the extra gear. Not that I need them mind you, I just want them. Suppose on the track head to head one would outperform the other in this or that, but in real world, everyday driving I really doubt one would notice that much difference between the two. If I was in the market for a 4 cyl like yourself, the styling just might make me go for the Accord.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,318
    you have some good info in your posts, but how do you know what gas you are getting? my local exxon never has an exxon tanker filling it up. i did see a mobil tanker at a mobil station, once.
    i read that you should switch brands due to their different additive combinations. there probably isn't a definitive answer.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    I'm also thinking of going to Ohio to buy. I have relatives in the state, so I can plan a visit & save money on the purchase at the same time.

Can you provide the name of the city & dealer where you bought?

Thanks for your help,
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    I am also sitting on the fence with Accord to Camry.Accord right now has some very attractive lease deal out there. I think it is possible to get a Accord EX V6 with Nav for about 380 to 390 a months with minimum drive off for 3 yr. Don't think I can do that with a Camry SEV6 or XLE V6...
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Has anyone who's driven an '07 Camry V-6 experienced torque steer with hard acceleration (common in powerful front-drive cars)?
  • ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    I drove the '07 XLE V6 today for a little bit. I feel very comfortable with it. Smooth acceleration. I went 90 on the freeway but it didn't feel like 90 until I looked down at the dash. Whole experience was positive. Just waiting for the dealer to give me a reasonable price and I'm sold. I'm not sure what you mean by torque steer. I have the answer to that question where if the key fob dies, how would you start the car. Since there is no slot to stick the key in, you would hold the key fob in front of the "start button" for 10 seconds and then you can press start.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    I put the SE V6 through it's paces in my test drive, and I don't recall any torque steer. I didn't floor it from a stop, but I did accelerate with gusto. I can confidently state that a Maxima steering wheel would have come out of my hands during the same driving.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    fsowirles

Just Curious: Are you saying that the V6 Camry is less powerful than the Maxima? Or, the torque steer is handled better in the Camry compared to the Maxima?

BTW - How was the ride and overall handling of the SE?

thanks
    Ride and handling are excellent, that is why I placed my order.

Not that it is less powerful than the Maxima, but it handles the torque steer much better. Nissans (and many Hondas) are notorious for very strong torque steer. So much so, that if you were to mash the pedal from a stop light, you have to fight the wheel (2005 Maxima SE) to keep from entering the other lane. :surprise:
  • tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    I am sure you will enjoy your Accord as it will be a fine car. But if you were looking for refinement and an ultra quite cabin, you sure won't find it in the Accord. Honda makes a fine car but why are so darn noisy inside? Do they scrimp on the insulation or do they believe you need to feel and hear the road to get a "true" driving experience?

I think the newly styled Camry is very attractive and Lexus like. I feel certain its quality and refinement will continue to keep the Camry as the leading passenger car sold in America throughout 2006 and beyond.

Good luck with you new Accord!
    "I think the newly styled Camry is very attractive and Lexus like. I feel certain its quality and refinement will continue to keep the Camry as the leading passenger car sold in America throughout 2006 and beyond."

I think you are correct based on the current sales pace of the new 2007 Camry at my dealership.
    Mackabee
  • ineedanewcarineedanewcar Member Posts: 29
    I've looked at a few '07 Camrys and so far have been impressed with the SE V6. Unfortunately I'd like to get one with Nav and none of the dealers in the SF Bay Area seem to have them. Has anyone (especially in the SF Bay Area) actually seen a Camry with Nav?
  • raven_sevenraven_seven Member Posts: 12
    I drove the XLE V6 and experienced no torque steering whatsoever. The salesman told me that Toyota worked hard to eliminate torque steering.

I did experience more road noise than I expected while driving on the freeway. I had to turn up the volume somewhat high to be able to hear the stereo. It could have been the road I was on.

However, I drove a Lexus IS the following day (over the same road/freeway) and found road noise to be a lot less. I also found the interior of he Lexus to be of much higher quality than that of the Camry (this is to be expected given the premium one must pay for a Lexus).

I had driven the Acura TL right before the Camry and found the Camry to be better balanced and more responsive. I liked the interior of the TL better, but liked the Camry better overall.
  • raven_sevenraven_seven Member Posts: 12
    The Toyota salesman told me that only about 4% of Camrys that are allocated to my entire region (NW) meet your/my criteria (SE V6 Nav).
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It's still early. It looks like the available option combinations are pretty restricted for now. After all the factories are running, and then running at maximum levels, expect availability of additional combinations of options and more volume of available cars in general.
  • ineedanewcarineedanewcar Member Posts: 29
    "However, I drove a Lexus IS the following day (over the same road/freeway) and found road noise to be a lot less."

Yes, I'm glad you also noticed a significant difference in road noise between the Camry and the IS.
  • toyocam07toyocam07 Member Posts: 5
    I really don't get it!! i bought my 07 XLE a week ago and one of the reason i got this car is cuzz i love the front but i do have to say the SE front looks VERY weird. So many people have told me that they love the front end on this 07. I personally always owned a accord and i am telling you NEVER again. Camry's are just better in every way. and the new 06 Accord, i have no idea what they were thinking!! why would anyone buy a accord when you can get a better car for almost same price. and one more thing about Camry been oold people's car, NOT true !! I am 22 and i love everything about this car. PROUD OWNER OF 2007 TOYOTA CAMRY XLE
    The SE V6 that I test drove at Koons in McLean, VA had NAV and my Blue Ribbon SE V6 should arrive this week, with NAV. They are out there.
  • cartwrightcartwright Member Posts: 10
    I totally agree regarding the front end. However, what I would like to see improved is chrome added to the slats of the XLE, not just the outer part. The Toyota emblem is too big IMHO. Oh well, maybe in the mid-cycle.

I haven’t taken the 4 cyl LE (which is really the CE here) for a spin yet, only revved it at the lot and it did sound buzzy. Strangely, my girlfriend thinks a noisy engine is a real turn-on, but needs a soft suspension though. What I’m more concerned about is if it can hold its own on a mountain or some steep hill, where I live. That alone might force me to purchase the 2006 model, even though I think its center stack is archaic compared to the new one. This is where I’m a newbie: I also didn’t like the fact that there’s no unlocking button for the shifter as one could easily move it. Or, is there some trick to that? It just seems like a real pain in the [non-permissible content removed] because its zigzag. Don’t know how useful a forth gear lock might be for engine braking – I’ll have to check on that.

What’s the point of BrakeAssist anyway? On the 2005 Avalon, I’ve read about reports of unexpected sudden hard braking while slowing down in Phil Edmonston’s 2006 LEMON-AID book (car guide). I wonder if that’s the cause. Hope this feature (or fluff) doesn’t breakdown post-warranty.

As a Canadian, I strongly feel as though we’re being ripped off with the LE V6. There’s a huge premium on it: a) $29,400=2007 b) $ 27, 475=2006 In Vancouver, BC, there’s no official discount for the 2006 models and dealers won’t budge much if at all. After experiencing the 2007 model, I don’t think I’ll miss the 2006 at all! BTW, the LE prices as follows: a) $25, 800=2007 b) $24, 990=2006

A few questions....

1) Does the CE/LE share the same level of insulation as the XLE?

2) Does the CE/LE share the same suspension setup as the XLE?

PS. Enjoy your cams, everyone.