Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    What XM ready actually means, at least in the sedan, is that an XM kit must be purchased at around $400.00. It includes the XM receiver, which is installed behind the right side trunk finish panel. Also, a long length of harness that mates the rear mounted XM receiver to the XM ready (and it is truly XM ready, just not enabled)radio. This runs either behind the right roof trim (up high) or down along the lower edge along the kick panels if I am not wrong, and I will be corrected if I am! Finally, the XM antenna is to be installed in the upper corner of the passenger side of the front windshield. I actually don't think its location, if installed as directed would impede either the drivers vision (I am positive there would be no way that could happen)or the passengers for that matter UNLESS they were searching for UFO's. For the record, navigation equipped cars also have the same XM "ready" radio that also requires the XM kit to be utilized. So, is it a rip-off? only in the excessive amount of money required to buy and install Honda's XM installation kit.
  • Options
    85crx85crx Member Posts: 10
    I bought my 2006 Civic EX sedan in October. At 2,000 miles or so, the door panels and dash started giving me "popping", "creaking" and "squeaking" over bumps in the road. I took it to the dealer and they said "couldn't find anything" At 4,000 miles it's getting worse! Now that sound is almost constant, as soon as I'm moving. I think I know where its coming from, when I press on the door panel near the top, it "creaks" pretty loudly. A guy I work with who is a detailer told me I need a "Squeak and Rattle Kit" done by the dealer, but to expect them to balk, as it is labor intensive and not covered by warranty. At this point I'm ready to just tell them I'll pay for it, as it's making me nuts! I love my Civic, but this noise is just annoying as can be. Anyone else out there with the '06 sedan having these issues? I'm kinda dissapointed, as my previous car was a 2000 Dodge Neon which was noise-free at 60,000 miles!
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Got my daughter's Civic LX 2 days ago...

There is a weird correlation between the steering wheel and the engine's RPM:

When turning the wheel just a bit left or right I can hear the engine changing it's sound, and at that instance I can see the RPM needle going down to just above 500 - and up again to the normal (just under 1,000)...

This happens in Neutral, but also if you put it in D or R, without touching the gas pedal... The car would then actually jerk just a bit forward or backwards, respectively...

It seems as if the Power Steering system is putting some LOAD on the engine, but only at a certain point - and for a short time.

This seems weird to me...

Before spending time at the dealership, just wondering if anybody else has read about this, or noticed that, or cares to try it on his/her Civic?.... :surprise: :confuse:

Thanks!
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    I haven't noticed the steering effect that you describe, but I have noticed a slight momentary decrease in engine speed when I close the windows or sunroof while idling in park. I'll check on the steering effect later.
  • Options
    allamerican6allamerican6 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2006 Civic and it will not pass the North Carolina emission test. The dealer has had the car for about a week and they cannot figure it out. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    PlacemanPlaceman Member Posts: 44
    I'm in Missouri and I read or saw on tv a story about a guy who bought a brand new car (can't remember the make/model), but it would not pass the state's emission test. After going back and forth they found out that the state didn't have the right software to read the car's computer correctly. Emission testing is such a sham. A lot of states are eliminating the program.
  • Options
    Yes, thanks, crissman.... I am interested to know if you have the same RPM flunctuation when turning your wheel left or right, just off center...

It seems to me that what you're experiencing is SIMILAR in it's cause to mine, namely causing an exessive electrical LOAD on the engine...

I just don't think this to be JUSTIFIED... Operating your power window or sunroof has no reason be such a load on the electrical system... Certainly not turning your steering wheel...

To me it looks like an electrical malfunction.
  • Options
    allamerican6allamerican6 Member Posts: 2
    Placeman, thank you. I called the dealer today and that is what they told me. They are trying to get me a waiver form DMV.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Placeman,

You wrote "Emission testing is such a sham. A lot of states are eliminating the program."

Could you please list the names of those states?
  • Options
    In Illinois new cars (up to 4 years old, I think) are exempt from emission test. Which makes a lot of sense... There is no reason to suspect that a brand new car would have faulty emission.

Testing new cars costs a state MILLIONS of Dollars. A total waste and a hassle to new car owners.
  • Options
    mamamia,

That IL regulation is a lot different than eliminating the program entirely. New vehicles are good for two years here in NY.
  • Options
    I should have stated that many states' legislative bodies are debating the elimination of the program. The problem is that even though the studies (at least here in MO) have not shown that the testing has had any affect on air quality here, the state doesn't want to get rid of it. There has been too much money spent on the program thus far for them to swallow their pride and end it. Not to mention the private company that the state hired to conduct the emission testing is still under contract with the state. It's all about the benjamins. )

But I digress. Let's not get this flame war going either. I understand that there are people that feel strongly about both sides of this issue and I respect that.
  • Options
    Just for clarification Shane, state inspections cover many more vehicle systems than just emissions. Here's the list of components and systems that are subject to inspection in my state:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

Your state has a similar program. See pages 13 through 32 here:

http://sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/11csr/11c50-2.pdf

I think we can agree that such testing keeps our roads safer.
  • Options
    Don't mistake emission testing from safety inspections, Berry. In Missouri, Safety inspections can be performed by any licensed mechanic. As a policeman, I fully support the safety inspections and maintain that they should stay in effect. What I do not agree with is the emissions testing, which is performed by a separate out-of-state company who has contracted with the state of Missouri. In Missouri, commercial vehicles are exempt from emission testing. That dump truck that just went from 2nd gear to 3rd just dumped more into our environment than my car does all year. Meanwhile, Grandma's plymouth just won't pass the emissions test, which means that she'll have to pump 100s of $ into it just so that it will pass. That's pretty tough on a fixed income. Just doesn't make sense to me. That's all...
  • Options
    Just went out to check on this. Mine does have some RPM fluctuation like you described. Since the engine was cold it was idling about 1000, so the effect was probably not as great as at normal idle, but I did notice it. Operating the windows didn't seem to cause it at this faster idle.

I don't think this is a problem. In both cases an addition load is being placed on a small, low torque engine, either by the P.S. pump or the alternator. I can't say I've noticed this in other cars, but I suspect Honda's not alone, and that it would be considered normal.

Maybe some other '06 owners would give it a try.
  • Options
    Thanks, crissman. I also spent some time testing it again this evening... The car was warm, and while idling I tried turning the steering wheel left and right, which caused the engine speed to fluctuate between (approx.) 900 and 600 RPM.

This can be annoying if you are trying to SLOWLY maneuver your Civic into a tight spot... Turning the wheel even slightly - causes the car to "jerk", even if just a bit.

At one point I actually put the gear into Reverse on our up-hill driveway. I could actually make the car move -- just by turning the wheel, and increasing the RPM...

To me it seems like the Power Steering is consuming a lot of electrical power, causing the engine to fluctuate its idling speed.
  • Options
    If I understand the mechanics involved correctly, the P.S. pump does not actually use electricity. It is belt driven. The engine is trying to maintain a constant idle speed, thus the RPM fluctuations, since the pump is dragging down the engine slightly. When the windows are operated the belt driven alternator has to work harder and also drags on the engine, which responds by kicking up the idle momentarily.

If there's any real mechanics out there, please check me on this.
  • Options
    What you're explaining here makes sense, but then why is the fluctuation happen only when you turn the wheel JUST A BIT (left to 11 o'clock and right 1 o'clock), but not when you turn it all the way to the left or all the way to the right -- which logically would put more load on the Power Steering system (and on the engine)?.....

Still waiting to read other's reaction.... Is this common on the new Civic?
  • Options
    My guess is that, after the intial movement, the engine responds by kicking up the idle and stays up during further turning of the wheel. I don't think the additional turning adds much greater demand on the P.S. pump, so we don't see a continued surge in the engine.
  • Options
    warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    I wonder if there's any possibility that this is related to the "throttle by wire" that is used in the new Civic? Just a thought...

Warner
  • Options
    pelliottpelliott Member Posts: 8
    I've noticed the RPM get affected by power steering too. Interesting.

Also, if anyone's interested, I just installed an intake for the '06 Civic Sedan, Warner and I talked about it in the MPG section. Anyone else installed it yet? :surprise:
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    This is common on all cars, but may not be as noticeable. The power steering pump is driven with a belt and pulley, by the engine. The pump pressurizes the power steering fluid in a closed system. When the steering wheel is turned, the pressurized fluid is directed to either side of the steering rack, depending on the direction of wheel rotation. The load on the engine is related to the amount of torque applied to the steering wheel. When you are not turning the steering wheel, a bypass valve in the system eliminates pressure and the susbsequent load on the engine. Without going into more detail, it takes more torque to turn the steering wheel from rest, than it does to keep it turning. Think of pushing a large piece of furniture across the floor. It takes more effort to get it moving than to keep it in motion. (static versus kinetic friction) So, the load on the engine is higher right at the moment you start turning the steering wheel and then reduces as you maintain rotation.

Check out howstuffworks.com for a more detailed explanation along with pictures.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks so much, dave!

The only way I can respond, is that the Civic's engine is too small/weak for it's Power Steering system...

I actually left the car at the Honda dealership this morning... Let's see if they can come up with something.... I will report here the findings.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if the normal idle speed on your Civic is just a bit low, causing this condition to be more noticeable. Hope they will be able to do something. Good luck.
  • Options
    I don't have the car long enough to check, but it's around 800-900, but last night when testing the Power Steering it would sometimes go down (on its own) to 600-700 or so...
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...strikes me as much ado about nothing. Every car I've ever owned with power steering has had small variations in engine revs whenever the steering is exercised at low speeds. Our Mercedes C240 certainly does it. As noted above, the increased load on the engine that results from the steering effort at parking speeds is going to have this effect. I really doubt that a dealer service tech is going to do anything but tell you everything is working fine.
  • Options
    hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    isn't the power steering in the new civic operated electrically - like either an electric motor driving the hydraulic pump or directly assisting the rack and pinion?
  • Options
    travis77travis77 Member Posts: 63
    I agree 100% with jrct9454,,, every car i've owned has done this,,, vehicles include,,, 98 civic,, 2000 accord,, 97 4runner,, 04 gmc truck,, 86 ford panel van,, and my current 06 civic does it,,, it's normal and i think some peeps on here are just being too nit picky with ther vehicles. My opinion is "don't worry yourself to death about the little things." I thought everybody knew about this,,, never thought anybody would ask questions about it,,, guess i was wrong though,,, lol. ;)
  • Options
    joey0708joey0708 Member Posts: 39
    can anyone tell me how you find your airconditiong , is it adequate on very hot days?i was thinking about a toyota matrix and that is poor for the airconditiong , i was hoping the civic would be better.
  • Options
    Don't think the new Civic has the electric steering. The new Jetta has it, and I think the Saturn Vue does too. The Civic does have the "drive by wire" throttle.
  • Options
    Well, I had the car checked by the service dept. today, and they also claim that this is the way the car was designed.

Well, then, no need to worry. Even though it's annoying, when you slowly trying to maneuver your car into a tight space.

As to "being too nit picky" -- fact is, I have NEVER noticed such a behavior in ANY of my other cars, past and present. It may be that (as mentioned before), unlike bigger cars, the smaller engine of the Civic is affected more by the load of the Power Steering.

End of story.
  • Options
    sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    Mamamia2,

I agree with you 100%. You go right on being "nit picky". You know your car better than anyone so if something doesn't seem right, you should find out about it. I thought that was the purpose of this board.

Just to let you know, I checked my 2005 Dodge Stratus rental car to see if it has a significant drop in rpm and it doesn't. In fact, I couldn't detect any change. Your question is valid and if it is just a normal "feature" of the car so be it. At least you know this now.

I can't check my 2006 Civic because it has been in at the dealer for two weeks fixing a problem that I noticed by being "nit picky". A ticking sound that I heard turned out to be a major problem in the cylinder head which is now being replaced.

My message to the board is don't dismiss things too easily.
  • Options
    Only the Hybrid and Si have electric steering.

link title

Check the 4th paragraph under the "Better Handling" heading.

Dave
  • Options
    wiphillyfanwiphillyfan Member Posts: 10
    Just got the car a week ago. I noticed the driver door doesn't close unless i slam it a bit harder then the other doors. One dealer wants to take it to a body shop. Other Honda dealer guy told me its because they are so airtight - demonstrated by openning the back door (driver side) and the door then closes fine. Also, if I open the window, door also closes fine. Anyone have any ideas on this? Will the issue resolve itself after a while? If so, about how long will it take to fix itself?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  • Options
    VW used to have a TV commercial years ago that showed that the Beetle was so airtight that it would float with all windows and doors closed.

Perhaps, until the door seals relax a bit, you should be sure that your climate control system is not on Recirculate. Perhaps leaving it on Vent will relieve the pressure.
  • Options
    Any door would close much easier if a window is opened, simply because of air pressure.

I don't see any reason why your driver's door would be more difficult to close, than the front passenger door.

The driver's door may be out of alignment. but first check around the door and the frame, maybe the black rubber seal around is damaged, or bulging out, or maybe something got stuck next to the door hinges area...
  • Options
    sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    I think this is another "feature" of the car. I tend to agree with the air tightness theory. My car does this but much less since when I first bought it.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'd agree with the air tightness theory if the behavior were the same for the passenger door, but it's not. I noticed the same behavior when I first got my '01 Elantra over five years ago--all the doors were harder to shut than on my previous cars. It was definitely due to air pressure, and also because of the thick triple-seals on the doors. But it didn't take long to adjust--you just use a little more oomph when closing them.

In this case maybe a door seal, or the door latch, on the driver's door needs adjustment.
  • Options
    gp46gp46 Member Posts: 7
    After reading some of the postings about the 06 Civic I realized there are many new car owners experiencing the same problems. Here are some of the problems I have noticed the idle does increase when you are at low speed. I first noticed this when pulling into garage and the car lurched forward. It will idle up if you turn the steering.
    Also have had the vehicle back 5 times for rattling noise in engine compartment. Very loud noise that is worse during cold days. With car in drive at stop it sounds as if there is something loose vibrating very bad. Dealer did the following repairs. 1st,tightened all mounts.2nd, replaced belt tensioner. 3rd, replaced idler pully. At this time dealer told me several other vehicle have been in with same issue and that Idler pully is defective. Also said replacement part seems to just as bad.4th time back they replaced the idler pully and the belt tensioner.This did not correct the problem and dealer had Honda Tech come inspect vehicle.5th time...The Tech did not test vehicle under conditions to verify problem. Later that evening I had the dealer service director in the car and he heard first hand the loud noise and stated that this is beyond dealer repair because the replacement parts are defective. The dealer and American Honda now want an engineer to come look at the vehicle. I have had enough and decided I should start lemon law proceedings.">link title
  • Options
    gp46gp46 Member Posts: 7
    I noticed this first time pulling into garage..I have been driving for over 25 years and have never owned another car that responds like this.
  • Options
    drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if someone can please tell me how good is the security alarm that is equipped on the 06 Civic LX. When someone hit the side of my doors, will the alarm sound off? Or does someone has to break my windiw, then the alarm will sound off?

Thank you very much
  • Options
    Looks more TSX than Civic. Perhaps the direction for the next Accord? Maybe a "world" market Accord which will be the supplant for the next TSX?

Dave
  • Options
    The security system is very basic. I believe it only alarms if doors, hood, or trunk are opened. Breaking the glass or bumping the car will not set it off.
  • Options
    mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    I have had the same problem. I start the car and it is fine. After driving any amount and pulling up to idle however, there is a load grumbling from the engine that seems to resonate in the exhuast system also. Worse on cold days. It is certainly annoying. However, I don't associate it with anything that will damage the car long term so for now I am just trying to ignore it. I may bring it in for service or wait until my first oil change. LOVE this car otherwise!!!!
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Looks like it's offical. There's a article in today Wall Street Journal about it. Supposed to be available late this year.
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    However, I'm not sure if this is such a good idea.

Keeping the current Si drivetrain with its peaky K20Z3 engine and the six-speed manual might turn off too many sedan drivers. I would have preferred Honda "detune" the engine to 180 bhp with a wider torque band so it could accommodate the excellent five-speed automatic used on the current Civic sedans. :)
  • Options
    silver7silver7 Member Posts: 2
    We have had our 2006 Civic for just over 4 months. Several times we had very rough starts and one time it wouldn't turn over at all. We took it into the dealership for service and they reset the idle. That seemed to take care of the problem for a week or so, but now we continue to have rough starts periodically. We have also noticed that when idling occasionally it feels as though the car is going to die (for example when we are at a stop light). We took it back to the dealer again where they had the car for 4 days and couldn't find a problem. Although when I drove it away I noticed the same problems. Has anyone else had this experience?

We have also had trouble with the driver's side automatic window. When we use the auto up button it gets about 2 inches from closing and then goes back down. Again, this doesn't happen all of the time, only periodically and with no real pattern.

If anyone else has had either of these problems I would love to know. Any suggestions of language to use at the service center to explain this problem would be great too. The service center reacts as though I'm out of my mind for complaining about a 2006 car running roughly.
  • Options
    hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    Blasphemer! detune the engine to take better advantage of an automatic transmission!? That is not what an Si is about. what's the point? :confuse: If this engine with a stick turns off certain sedan drivers, they don't belong in an Si! You may as well drive a buick.
This discussion has been closed.