Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• Options
    hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    you just have to hold the switch down longer- i like this feature since there are times when i want just spray to dissolve the guts from that fat greasy junebug before smearing it across my windshield
  • Options
    hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    but how about a thread on just 06 civic audio -
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is one. Here's the link: Honda Civic Audio questions (iPod, MP3, speakers, etc.)

I had to look through the list a couple of times before I found it. ;)
  • Options
    remoteraycerremoteraycer Member Posts: 17
    My 06 LX also has the rattle around the glove box area. I can put my hand on the dash just above the glove box and it will go away. Calling the dealer to line up an appointment today. On a good note, a 400 mile road trip yeilded 42 mpg again.
  • Options
    tjs01tjs01 Member Posts: 34
    I have this too. It has been diagnosed as a bad motor mount. Honda has issued a service bulletin/advisory on this. There are a couple of posts regarding this in the Issues forum.
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    the 2006 Civic because only a very few cars have a GOLD rating from IIHS.org. I notice too many people are having problems with the new 2006 Civic. Does anyone think these problem will be resolved in the 2007?

I liked the EPA mpgs, crash tests, and thought it was reliable but if people are having problems now, what happens when the warranty runs out?

I guess there isn't any sedan that has a combo of high mpgs, perfect crash ratings, and reliability.

Subarus are the closest with these qualities like the Legacy and Forester. Unfortunately the mpgs suffer because of the AWD but I guess you can't have everything.

Others with high mpgs are the Honda Fit, Scion xA and xB, and 2007 Nissan Versa. All these cars horsepower is lower than the 2006 Civic and none have been rated by IIHS yet but their Gov crash tests aren't perfect, though the Fit is close (front: 5 driver, 5 pass; side: 5 front, 3 rear). Too early to know Fit is reliable but Consumer Reports predicts reliability to be 'better than most' for the xA and xB.

All I know about the Versa is interior and trunk is larger than Civic. If Crash results are descent I will consider it along with the Legacy sedan.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can think about the Legacy, but is more in the Accords size and price range and fuel economy.
    It is not smart to run from a Civic to a Nissan Versa in chase of better reliabilty.
    It makes no sense at all to even be considering a Nissan Versa because a Civic is "not reliable enough."
    It is the opposite of a logical thought process.
    Nissan+Renault+first year of manufacture does not equal a higher odds of better reliability than a 2007 Civic.
  • Options
    mseals528mseals528 Member Posts: 8
    I currently have a 2001 BMW 325i with sport and premium package. I love the car, but only get just over 25 mpg combined and I drive probably 50 mph to work and it is 16 miles one way. When I get on the highway trip, I get about 28 mpg which is very close to the rating. Well I am coming from a 2000 Civic Si that I bought new in which I consistantly got 33 mpg. I was wondering, I am a conservative driver with sticks, is it possible to get 37-39 mph average with a EX 5sp w/Nav. Also, do you guys like the nav for those who have it? I am really considering keeping this car for 5 yrs (that is rare for me) and I really love the design and quality. I understand that people here are voicing their opinion about problems, but if you think about it, that is what this forum is for! There will be very few people who will take the time to come on here and say they have no problems. They are too busy driving, remember, if nothing is wrong, there is less motivation to speak up.
  • Options
    jmeinekejmeineke Member Posts: 14
    Mseals first the automatic Civic is rated at 40 mpg on Highway versues 38 mpg on a stick. I live in the OC and I get 28 - 29 mpg average with a 13 mile trip to work and the last 8 miles are taffic and stop and go lights. I do believe it is possible to get a 37 mpg + average but that all depends on the place you live. I have a 06 auto with Navi, I really enjoy the nav. It is so much better than my moms 04 G35 Infiniti. As all things it does have flaws.
    -You need to have your windows up and sunroof closed to use voice input
    -the screen is washed out with sunroof open and sunlight hitting it
    -XM is like 500 bucks plus month to month (all sedans, coupe it is standard for 06)
    -It is very quick
    -The stereo in the coupes has an amp and premium Pioneer speakers as the sedan has no amp and cheap Pioneer speakers.

Probably a lot more but its quiting time and I need to go home.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    I guess what I really want to know is, is the Nav worth it. I pretty much grew up in the Detroit area, and there aren't too many places that I don't know how to get there. I do not plan on traveling too often, though. I guess right now I use the old fashion way, I google the address and then print out a map. This might happen 4 or 5 times a year, is that worth the Nav. Are there functions that are helpful other than just mapping someplace is what I really want to know. I didn't really understand if you had a stick or automatic. I plan on getting the stick because I want to be more active in the driving of the car and without traction control, I want to have more control in the winter.

Also, how is the pickup? I don't drive like a dragster, I am very good at getting up to speed though and cruising my way to work or on the highway. Like I said, I average 25.3 mpg in my 2001 BMW 325i and it is rated at 19-28 I think so I am closer to the upper end, and it is an automatic. When I had my 528i, I was averaging 28 mpg, and it was a 5sp.
  • Options
    mrmusicmrmusic Member Posts: 15
    I love my 06 Civic nav. Im always getting lost and can always guide me home. What I really love is the ability to play Compact Flash Cards. I have an 8Gig card that I have loaded with MP3 files for my new radio station format that I am Beta testing. So far its helped me get Super Q ready for release.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If you generally never drive out of areas where you know all the roads, then you don't need nav.
    If you never needed to refer to a paper map to find where you needed to go, then why would you need nav?
  • Options
    galdosgaldos Member Posts: 1
    My partner and I each bought a 2006 civic sedan, on the same day, from the same dealer, almost five months ago. We are both very satisfied with the car, but there is one thing: Water from air conditioner condensation has been leaking on to the passenger side floor anywhere from 90 minutes to four hours after the car has been garaged. I first noticed it in my car in June and later noticed the same thing in my partner's car happening in the same way: Sometimes one, but usually two drops together with an accumulation of as much as a tablespoon. Were it not that we both have rubber mats we probably would not have noticed our leaks. We have been told by the dealer's service people that the duct and drain tube to the outside are clear, and certainly condensation does drain to the outside. The dealer's service people seem perplexed. Have any of you folks had the same problem? If so, how was it fixed?
  • Options
    civictripcivictrip Member Posts: 12
    "I have this too. It has been diagnosed as a bad motor mount. Honda has issued a service bulletin/advisory on this. There are a couple of posts regarding this in the Issues forum."

Hi tjs01: This is really useful info. But I have looked through all of Honda's Service Bulletins and I cannot find any that relates to the 06 Civic engine mount.

Also, I don't see any other posts regarding the mount. Can you please let me know which Bulletin and post you were referring to?

Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    jmeinekejmeineke Member Posts: 14
    I have an automatic. Pickup is alright. I had an 03 VW GTI 1.8 Turbo before so I may be the wrong person to ask, I drove it too crazy. I guess it is adequate but flooring it gets you the 25-29 mpg that I tend to get. If you want traction control be patient because the 07 Civic SI sedan will have that. Maybe then they will be adding in 08. I had Traction Control in my GTI and I dearly miss it as I tried making a left at 45 mph and had to slow down because the car was not liking it. The handling of the civic non SI is crap compared to Mazda 3 or GTI, but thats because it is a commuter economy car. Not a speeder.

If I were you I would not spend the money on the Navi. The sound system is not great and it is the same with or without navi besides the PC card slot and I still use my Ipod mini rather than that because I can mark them with stars when i want to keep or delete, the EQ and play lists.

Good luck and I am always willing to answer any more questions.
  • Options
    I have not seen the bulletin. I was told by the dealer Honda had issued one. The posts (1 of which is mine)are in the 2006 Honda Civic - Issues forum

Honda http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0d71c1
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for all the insight. I really think I will pass on the Nav even though I think it is a cool feature, it is not something I need. I am really torn though between an EX, and the Si sedan, but that would kill my gas mileage increase. I just don't want to get robbed by having to pay a premium just because it will be the first year of the Si sedan. I am also thinking I would want to get away of the jarring ride that my current car has, with its sports suspension. I am sure I can beat my current MPG of 25.2 but I want to beat it by at least 10 mpg. I also feel that Honda's are best served as sticks due to their engines need to rev, I will test drive them both. I truly enjoy the Honda manuals though, and I loved my 2000 Si, it was so easy to shift sometimes people didn't even realize that I had a manual. I guess once I finally test drive the cars, I will only know what other people think. I am sure I am getting a Civic, the only question is, which one.
  • Options
    dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Will the Si require premium gas, versus getting away with 87 octane for the EX?
  • Options
    I am most certain that it will! My 2000 Si required 91 octane and the salesman didn't even know it needed better than regular! I informed her about it, and she was shocked. I am not going to lie, I put 87 in it a lot, especially in the winter when it was cold outside and it allowed me to get the same gas mileage. In the summer I stuck to 91 though.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview 18-25 year olds on what type of car they are looking to purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, August 24, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • Options
    cybergypsycybergypsy Member Posts: 51
    Most of us do not have any problems I have a RR EX coupe with Navi, and not one rattle, I also had a scion XA, you could not pay me to buy another...... Great little car but get Better MPG on the civic, also has over 30 HP more, and feels much better to drive. The fit is a great car but still prefer the toys on my civic.
  • Options
    cybergypsycybergypsy Member Posts: 51
    I have had 49 cars in the last 6 years, including BMW with I drive, i love my civic and navi, much easier to us with voice then my TSX,and as for problems, 6K miles and nothing yet, Honda is great for getting thing Done....The only thing i am adding is leather, i just wish it was a option...
  • Options
    I am on my second BMW, and although I have had to replace some minor things and one major thing(mass air flow sensor for $600) I have been pleased with their reliability. The things I have replaced were regular maintenance items at the appropriate mileage. Things like oil, brakes, thermostats and tires. The only thing that is out of the ordinary is that BMW's seem to need their suspension bushings replaced every 50k miles or so. This I think is designed into the specs to maintain compliance with vibration dampening and still maintain sharp handling without make a harsh ride. But, those little bushings can be expensive to the tune of about $300 per corner. This is my second BMW and both have been CPO'd used ones. I have enjoyed both of them, and they do get decent gas mileage for the performance that I receive, but I want to get in the mid-30's MPG and that is not possible with BMW's. I had a 2000 Civic Si prior to my BMW's and I consistently got 33 mpg average! I look forward to test driving the 2006-7 Civic very soon.
  • Options
    nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Can anyone share when the 2007 Civic SI Sedan will be officially introduced?
  • Options
    jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    10000 miles on our 06 Civic Auto with Nav and no problems to report. We love the Navigation and although we know the city well, it is always finding faster ways to get to places that we already knew how to get to. We use it a lot to find restaurants, friend's houses, etc. by typing in the address. It beats reading a piece of paper printed out through mapquest.
  • Options
    jozrayjozray Member Posts: 2
    Does any one know the answer, I been waiting since 3-9-06.
    Where is the fuel filter for 2006 Honda Civic lx ?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Sorry, I'm not an owner and I've not looked carefully under the hood, but the service advisor at your Honda dealer can show you where it is in a split second. For free.
  • Options
    traumertraumer Member Posts: 19
    Call your local Honda service department and they will tell you where its at.
  • Options
    magoosh1magoosh1 Member Posts: 13
    For 1 week...600 miles on the LX AT Civic...A++++! This is the best 2door/4door car out there. Everybody needs a Civic. Car of the Year? I can see why.
  • Options
    danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    My partner and I each bought a 2006 civic sedan, on the same day, from the same dealer, almost five months ago. We are both very satisfied with the car, but there is one thing: Water from air conditioner condensation has been leaking on to the passenger side floor anywhere from 90 minutes to four hours after the car has been garaged. I first noticed it in my car in June and later noticed the same thing in my partner's car happening in the same way: Sometimes one, but usually two drops together with an accumulation of as much as a tablespoon. Were it not that we both have rubber mats we probably would not have noticed our leaks. We have been told by the dealer's service people that the duct and drain tube to the outside are clear, and certainly condensation does drain to the outside. The dealer's service people seem perplexed. Have any of you folks had the same problem? If so, how was it fixed?

Mine had this problem, too. Cause was an assembly line problem wherein one of the seals under the dash was improperly installed. Fix was to disassemble the airbox under the right front dash, take the kink out of the seal, and properly reassemble it along with a generous anount of "goop" adhesive. No drips since.
  • Options
    danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    "I have this too. It has been diagnosed as a bad motor mount. Honda has issued a service bulletin/advisory on this. There are a couple of posts regarding this in the Issues forum."

Hi tjs01: This is really useful info. But I have looked through all of Honda's Service Bulletins and I cannot find any that relates to the 06 Civic engine mount.

Also, I don't see any other posts regarding the mount. Can you please let me know which Bulletin and post you were referring to?

Thanks a lot.

It's not a service bulletin; it's in what Honda calls service news. I just had this right side engine mount relaced, but the noise still remains.
  • Options
    amrit123amrit123 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Can someone please point me to official honda service info page, i am looking for website where Honda maintains the service/problems record for 2006 Civic.

I noted lot of discussions regarding the wind noise from driver side window above 50 mph, the dealer said that he fixed the problem by inserting a form, but still i hear the same wind noise, has anyone wind noise problem being fixed completely ?

Thanks
  • Options
    Sorry, there is no such public website.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    You must be thinking of Hyundai which DOES maintain a website that posts all TSB's for ALL their cars plus more technical info.
  • Options
    integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    Eight months, 20,000 (almost exclusively) highway miles.

No problems, 38MPG
  • Options
    fwengfweng Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I just had mine replaced today but again, the noise still there. Does anybody has know if there's any resolution with this problem yet? I am wondering if Honda will have a recall for this issue. It is very annoying if you drive the car in the city. Also, could this problem could further cause any other damages or being dangerous driving in highway.

thanks
  • Options
    Car manufacturers don't do recalls for glovebox rattles. No, a noise in or behind your glovebox has virtually no chance of being dangerous.

You might want to check for loose things in the glovebox. Also, have a passenger press the door closed while you are driving over a rough road. If that stops the sound than you know where to start.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think the noise is coming from the glove box itself but rather in that area. And sounds like coming underth it. My dealer told me that it was a motor mount problem and I had it replaced yesterday but the noise is still there. This is my first Honda and the impression is not too good at all. The only reason I picked Civic is it is high milage on gas. If you have any further information regarding this problem that would be great. I have been in the dealer shop almost every other week since I bought this car in early August.
  • Options
    How loud would you describe the rattle to be? If its very loud it could conceivably be from the suspension system, such as the right front strut that needs tightening.

If its just a fairly low volume rattle, it might be something as simple as a loose wire or plastic heating duct contacting the top of the glove box. I'd ask the dealer to remove the glove box and look into the area above and behind it for dangling parts that should be taped or wirewrapped into place.

Be careful in there though. You don't want to endanger the airbag system that's in that area.
  • Options
    The noise only happens after the car is stop and then start with slow acceleration. It sounds like a clothing is slowing being ripping off. So it is very annoying problem if the car is driven in the city. I am going back to the dealer to see if there's any healing with this problem. But I already lost confidence in Honda Civic. Thanks for all the helps and suggestions.
  • Options
    grapeguygrapeguy Member Posts: 1
    Had the car for one week and put 1,000 miles on it. '06 civic ex at w/navi. This is one great car!!! It is nothing like the '04 civic ex mt that I traded in. I liked the '04 but the '06 is a much better car in every way. Thought the interior with the big split dash would take some getting used to but I find it very intuitive. Now one of my favorite features on the car. Kind of makes "normal" dashs look "quaint". Great highway car (unlike the '04), plenty of power and silky smooth tranny. The navi system is amazing. Very user friendly - I'm not one for reading manuals and this is very easy to operate without having to do so. So far I am extremely happy with my purchase!!! If anyone is looking to buy a Honda on the north shore in Mass. I highly recommend Honda North in Danvers. Sales and service are very professional and a pleasure to deal with.
  • Options
    There is a history (on this site) of this type noise. I too have the noise and it is not inside the car..the glove box is referenced ONLY because it is the area you would look when hearing it. Once again...not inside the car but visulize an imaginary line through the glove box to the front suspension area. Some say motor mount but I am not convinced it is that, some say right front strut and I say maybe but both those items have been replaced by others here without permanent results...I am still waiting for the answer. Honda do you hear us??? we hear you, or more accurately, your vehicles, noise. Come on, it can't be that hard to figure this one out.
  • Options
    If this problem can not get fixed by the dealer 3 times, would it be considered as a lemon car? Can the car owners demand for refund or a new car with such problem? :-(
  • Options
    leoflemingleofleming Member Posts: 2
    A couple of weeks ago I began to notice that my Civic would increase its revs while idling. It will do it for about 6 seconds, stop for 30 and then start up again with the revving. It seems to be fairly consistent in the pattern.

The increase in revs is not drastic, but it's enough that I can definitely notice it. Any thoughts? I don't want mechanics ripping apart my engine if it can be avoided.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Uhm, for a rattle in a glove box? Somehow I doubt it, but you can always try.
  • Options
    I don't know for sure but it seems (according to others who have actively persued this noise) there is a motor mount on the right(passenger)side rear of the engine. Since the whole front end of this generation Civic is only about 4 feet long...I can easily reach the rear edge of my hood without leaning over the car...the rear engine edge is actually located in close proximity to the glove box area, on the other side of the firewall of course. What I am having a hard time believing is that the motor mount is responsible for a "crumping" kind of noise when a bump is hit with the right front suspension. Having had broken motor mounts in the past, on other vehicles I have owned, I sorta kinda know the symptoms which include motor movement when starting off resulting in a clunk also same clunk when placing the car in drive and lightly brake torque it. Additionally, you can see motor movement under that circumstance. Also keep in mind the glove box is only referenced for a location..that imaginary line passes through the glovebox to the outside of the body structure into the right front strut/suspension area.
  • Options
    andysdandysd Member Posts: 87
    Your comparison with the '04 hurts since I like my '04 EX auto silver sedan a lot, including "highway." We've taken two long trips, one with 4 people in the car, and it did great.

One thing about an automatic is you can just step on the gas and get good acceleration. Not that I'm opposed to a manual, but to maximize acceleration you have to drive a manual like you really mean it, specially off-the-line if you want to go from a stop light.

Anyway, I guess I'm locked in on my '04 for a while because in a weak moment I bought a set of new Kosei Racing 17 x 7" wheels and 215/45 Kumho SPT tires that wouldn't fit on the new 5-bolt set-up. I should note that the original Bridgestones are also very good.

Actually, an alternative I am considering is the all-new '08 Accord when it comes out.
  • Options
    mrfree00mrfree00 Member Posts: 8
    I just brought my 06 Civic LX AT to dealer for 15,000 miles maintenance yesterday. (It has about 15,500 miles on it now). I had one oil change around 6,900 miles (15% oil life) and another oil change plus tire rotation around 12,300 miles (30% oil life). Usually I thought the car will need 15,000 miles tune up (such as air filter etc) even though my oil life is still 70% since last oil change. But when I picked up the car, the dealer told me to come back for maintenance when the oil life goes down around 15% and it is not necessary to do 15,000 mile maintenance. I am just wondering if other people agree with this. BTW, I aslo brought the car in for rattling noise around glove box area. The dealer said it was because the glove box was misadjusted. So they adjusted the glove box. I didn't hear the rattling noise on the back home last night even on the fairly rough road, so I was happy that the problem finally got fixed (brought to the different dealer before and they just tried to tight up things and it didn't solve the problem). But this morning, when I drove to work, it came back again even though the noise wasn't as frequent as before. :(
  • Options
    Since the dealer replaced the motor mount in my 2006 civic, the problem still exists. I took the car back and now they are saying it is the strut. But they don't have any in stock and the struts are in back order. The adviser told me that it could take up to 2 months for them to show up. So, is the 2006 Civic uses different strut than the 2005's? I am wondering why it is in back order. The only reason I came up is that this problem is a wide spread but there is no recall yet.
This discussion has been closed.