Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I've mentioned this before, but I think most people judge the quality of a tire only by how many miles they get from a set. Period.

For me handling and wet weather performance are more important.

It's been my experience that OEM Michelins do, in fact, last a long time, due to harder rubber compounds. But they are mediocre on anything but dry pavement. They're great if you live in southern California, but I don't. For this reason, I think Michelins are over-rated.

While many people try to squeeze every mile they can out of a set of tires, I always replace them sooner. It's cheap insurance.
  • Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    But driving the touring model with that PAX tires, I felt like they are solid rubber. Odysseys are for the well-heeled people these days.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I've had 3 Accords, a Civic, and two different Lexus models with Michelin tires. It rains pretty hard here sometimes in the south and we even had a bit of snow last winter. Honestly, never have I had a problem with traction from my Michelin tires. I'm starting to sense a pattern with you heywood ... you NEED AWD and think Michelins are mediocre in inclement weather ... might you drive a tad fast for conditions?
  • Options
    csm44csm44 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 2 odysseys--an 00 and an 02. I want to buy the new touring odyssey but the price does scare me. Costco has a plan to save money when you buy a new one. You may want to check it out.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Have been at the local dealer today, and found one EX sitting there (with a SOLD sign, of course).

It had the olive interior, which is a regular beige color (for my eyes, at least).

It was a regular EX, no NAV or RES, with cloth seats, with the tiny tiny seat for the center "baby seat".

Overall it looks good. The huge headlamps and the bold grille is much more striking than the outgoing model.

I still don't like the interior. Those new climate controls - it will be very hard to get used to (at least for me), and overall it looks very plain - nothing to compare to an Accord.

The upper glove box does not seem to have a coin holder. Does the outgoing ('04) Ody have a coin holder? However the lower glove box looks huge.

The EX, although it doesn't have the message center, it does have an outside temperature display, and a "Maintenance Minder".

I would still get the Ody if I'll find a good deal - which I really doubt.
  • Options
    kixokixo Member Posts: 35
    I recall a few years ago, Honda didn't distribute any vehicles with NAVI in Hawaii or Alaska. Either because the company it bought the system from only had information for the 48 contiguous states, or because the GPS satellites didn't reach all areas of Alaska or Hawaii. (I strongly think it was the former.)

Does anyone in Hawaii or Alaska have one of the new 05 Odysseys with NAVI, and does it work?
  • Options
    8477984779 Member Posts: 1
    Also looking for an EX-L in the Atlanta area. Would you please share the name of the two dealerships you found willing to budge off the sticker price and the one you bought from. Also what is RES? Thanks!
  • Options
    stj4stj4 Member Posts: 27
    I absolutely agree with you. I have the same problem , and especially with the driveway sitting at about right angle to the road, it is just not a good feeling to slip back on to the road

thanks
  • Options
    RES - Rear Entertainment System, the fancy term for rear DVD.
  • Options
    rrsrrs Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a Touring w/o navi or RES and an EX-L with RES today in Northern California. IMO they both drove the same--very smooth and quiet. The two dealerships were offering each as MSRP and I did not try to negotiate a price (I am looking at EX-L w/ Navi & RES). The MSRP on the touring was $35,010, EX-L w/ Navi $32,410 and they had an EX that was not ready to drive for list of $28,510. All prices included a $510 destination and handeling fee and came with floor mats, a cargo net, and a tank of gas. Although the dealers each got their cars on Friday, none had been sold out of seven total.

I was told the Navi will add around $2,000. I tested the similar voice Navi on a TL at one of the dealerships and really liked it.

I really liked the large RES screen and it had a crisp picture. The 8th seat is very small, yet would be good to stow in the floor and take it out for necessity. The magic seat is quite an improvement and the third row has a lot of leg room. I'm six foot and could sit there on a long trip. The moon roof is small, yet it was quiet open on the freeway.

Overall, I was disapointed with the exterior. I never really liked it from the pics and was hoping it would be nicer in person. Granted, the cars had not been detailed. I also have a color chart and they are: Redrock Pearl, Desert Rock Metalic, Sage Brush Pearl, Taffeta White, Silver Pearl Metalic, Ocean Mist Metalic (on Honda's web page), Nighhawk Black Pearl, Slate Green Metalic, Mdnight Blue Pearl.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    10thcar10thcar Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market in north metro Atlanta as well. If you could save me the trouble of visiting 4 dealers, I would appreciate it greatly. Also, did you trade or use dealer financing?

THANKS - Rich
  • Options
    nnnnnnnn Member Posts: 6
    I have been dealing with Goodson Honda West in Houston, TX. It is a low pressure dealership. I have been very impressed with them. On Friday evening the salesman e-mailed me saying that they have received two odysseys and that I should come down and test drive it. Saturday morning I packed up the family and headed over to the dealership. The odyssey looks much better in person than the spy pictures have displayed.

It drives and handles firmly. Plenty of acceleration and power. Very quiet at 60 mph on concrete pavement. It is much quieter compared to the 2004 odyssey! The ECO engages whenever the computer determines that the 'extra' 3 cylinders are not needed, times like cruising and braking. I noticed the ECO light coming on when I was driving 30 mph on a side street! The ECO light is located directly over the '6' on the tach. Generally it is not easily seen since the steering wheel covered it -- at least for me it did.

Something that I have not heard about here is that there are floor vents under the third row blowing toward the front. The sun visors do not have the sliding extension as the 2004 did. However, they have placed a trapezoid of Teflon behind the review mirror covering up that annoying area where the sun shines in and where the visors never could cover up very well.

As posted the MSRP including destination is $35410 for the EX-L RES. No idea what the MSRP for the other trim levels will be.

My odyssey should be arriving at the dealership by the end of the month. While there I asked the salesman what my drive out cost will be. Within a few minutes he gave the drive out cost! They have about $578 worth of doc and license fees.

Anyone who would like to have the salesman information email me.
  • Options
    dinky100dinky100 Member Posts: 21
    Yes-- tell- them that I sent you-- they'll know who-- if you want more info about the salesperson email me!
    Heather
  • Options
    Wow-- the MSRP on the EXL_RES that I bought was only 32410-- and I got 1K below that-- are they more in TX?
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Maybe it was a EX-L RES or a Touring?
  • Options
    promisecpromisec Member Posts: 1
    rrs, which of the two dealers in Northern CA offer Odyssey @ MSRP? I was at Capitol Honda this afternoon. Four were sold and only one left with $3000 markup, and they are not willing to sell it at MSRP.
  • Options
    rrsrrs Member Posts: 4
    Fairfield Honda and Vacaville Honda.
  • Options
    hpanhpan Member Posts: 61
    So you got $1,410 off the $35,410 MSRP?
  • Options
    tripmomtripmom Member Posts: 5
    Can you get the EX-L with RES & Navi? I am looking for these 2 features and my salesman told me I would have to get the Touring. Does anyone know the differences between EX-L and Touring (except for the Michelin PAX tires)? I have not been able to see the Touring yet. Is it worth the difference in price?
  • Options
    samuelssamuels Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone now if the middle stowable seat on the 2005 ody can be used with a child seat?
  • Options
    nnnnnnnn Member Posts: 6
    Sorry about that, I got my numbers mixed up. The MSRP on the window sticker is $32410 including destination. My drive out is $35013.65.
  • Options
    hleftyhlefty Member Posts: 4
    The 2 N. Atlanta dealers willing to negotiate on the sticker price were Honda Carland on Alpharetta Hwy and Ed Voyles Honda on Cobb Pkwy. Basically they offered the van at (or close to) MSRP but were willing to give me for my 13 year old car as much (or more) as I could have sold it for myself. Good luck haggling - I hate it.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please take a few minutes to describe your purchase over in the Honda Odyssey: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.

Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Yes, you can get the EX-L with RES and NAVI or just RES. For the Touring you either get it plain or with RES and NAVI together. The differences between the EX-L and Touring can be found in the features and specifications sections links at:
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2059
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    If anyone comes across a black leather interior can you please snap a photo and post it. I really want to see this color before I order.

Cheers!
  • Options
    vpatelvpatel Member Posts: 17
    can you give me more info? where i can buy a EX-L for $1K below sticker in Texas since I reside in Texas
  • Options
    vpatelvpatel Member Posts: 17
    WHERE IN TEXAS IS THE DEALER LOCATED WHERE I CAN BUY FOR $1K BELOW STICKER? I RESIDE IN DALLAS
    THANK'S
  • Options
    inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    How in the world it the Touring worth $4000 0ver the EX-L? I do not get it.
    The EX-L is clearly the way to go.
  • Options
    odyncodync Member Posts: 19
    I have been wrestling with this as well as I have a Touring Nav/Res on order... As far as I can tell, the differences are below (I have searched everywhere and this is everything I can come up with)

Power Adjustable pedals
    2 glove boxes
    Stabilizer bar is 24 v. 23 mm
    Wheels are 17.1 inch
    PAX tires (235-710R-460A 104T) v. All season (235/65R16 103T)
    Tire pressure monitoring system
    Tri-zone automatic climate control v. manual rear in EX and manual in LX.
    Leather wrapped steering wheel and knobs.
    Automatic Day/Night rearview mirror.
    Extra Beverage Holders (17 v. 15) (In console)
    Third row 115V AC power outlet (4 total vs. 3)
    Removable Center Console
    Power tailgate
    Fog lights
    Auto dimming mirrors
    Auto on/off halogen headlights
    Body colored parking sensors front and rear
    Chrome tailgate garnish
    8-way power driver seat w/memory (EX power seat has no memory)
    360 W 6 disc in dash 7 speakers including subwoofer
    Programmable multi-information display.
    Miles to empty indicator.
    Compass.

If anyone thinks I have something that does not belong or left something out – Post a correction!

Its hard to see $4000….the PAX system with the pressure monitoring is probably $1500….
    The problem is some of these items I really wanted….(as others have mentioned)
  • Options
    bsaccobsacco Member Posts: 11
    so, they will sell you a EXL for $32,410?

Is that the drive-out price?
  • Options
    Hi-- it actually can,-- I have 3 kids in carseats- it's a little tight- but it works-- the older one is so glad that he doesn't have to sit in the very back any more-- and with the quieter ride- you can actually hear them whereever they sit! I love mine! Heather
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Yeah, for me it's hard to see the $4K difference for 2 reasons:
    1) both have the same exact NAV+rearview camera, and
    2) the EX-L gets the PlusOne seat which I would much rather have than the center console.

But I'll probably end up getting the Touring for that CHROME tailgate garnish.

I wish the Touring also got PlusOne 8th seat, woodtrim, gated shifter, Laser cruise, and AWD.
  • Options
    markhootmarkhoot Member Posts: 23
    Generally, very nice! It just came off the truck, so the power equipment wasn't fused yet.
    The front seat felt nice, the third seat does have much more room, and the middle seats are about the same. I couldn't see the florescent gauges because there was no key available. The brushed aluminum dash was nice. The 8th middle seat was very uncomfortable and almost worthless, in my opinion. I'll drive it on Wed. after it's prepped.

I'm torn between it and the Sienna!

Mark
  • Options
    Honda has confirmed that for the '05 Odysseys with leather, the rear seat is leather-trimmed. Not vinyl, like in '04s and previous years.

The vinyl did look close enough to leather that a lot of people didn't even notice.

It's nice to see Honda has up-contented (is that a word?) the amount of leather in the new Odysseys. Perhaps because the seat is now split, rather than a bench, the cost to use leather is less?
  • Options
    samysamy Member Posts: 8
    Is the 8th seat okay for a kid, or is it just plain awful?
  • Options
    ppattersonppatterson Member Posts: 22
    The Touring has the variable displacement management system and the power rear hatch......
  • Options
    Is the 8th seat okay for a kid, or is it just plain awful?
  • Options
    My son thinks it is great!! He's only 4 though-- a little tight with all 3 carseats- but it works-- they like to all sit in the middle-- rather than 1 in the back- he always felt so "far". He's very happy with it!
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Worth a $1,500 deduction, maybe. The PAX system alone--due to its priorative technology--would push me to the EX-L. I still don't understand why run-flats are standard issue on the 'Touring' when there's room for a spare.
  • Options
    I'm not sure in TX-- I'm in CO...
  • Options
    Has anyone checked out the LCD displays for the radio and HVAC controls. Due to their upward angle, do they wash out in the sun?

In many Toyota models, the LCD displays become invisible if you're wearing polarized sunglasses. I hope that doesn't afflict the new Odysseys....
  • Options
    player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Yesterday i went to my local Honda dealer unfortunaly the dealer was closed but we still got to check the van out a bit, there was a Touring in Silver with either black or gray interior in th showroom. Outisde there was a Sage Blue Pearl EX-L with RES and Ivory Leather interior. We loved the van it was amazing the seats look very comfortable, the exterior is very nice the headlamps are amazing and the rear is also very nice. The price on the EX-L RES said $33,440 including destination and some other options. I will be going back to the dealer this weekend to take a test drive and to also take pictures. This van is unbelieveable!!!!
  • Options
    sltslt Member Posts: 11
    Going to test drive an'05 Odyssey tomorrow, seems to be the only one in my area available to test drive! all other dealers are just taking orders some without knowing the MSRP. customers are willing to order at MSRP whatever that will be. amazing demand. the salesperson tells me it'll be around $35M for the top of the line, high but beats the Sienna. Am not convinced paying $5M+ more for a top of the line Sienna AWD is worth it.

But it's to but salesperson EXL Touring tomorrow at one of the only
  • Options
    Are you saying that the 2nd row fits three car seats?? that is a nice feature, but are the 3 seats normal size or is it a squeeze? my son is in a britax husky which is huge. my daughter is in the britax convertible. and we're expecting a third in jan. do you think it'll work?? how do you get into the third row then if you have another adult or child travelling with you?
  • Options
    the MSRP on the EX_L RES is 32410.00-- I'd try to work them down to that! Good luck-- it is a beauty- I drove one off the lot on Sat-- i love it!
  • Options
    Thank you for your most helpful input!!! I certainly don't feel as inclined toward the Sienna AWD now esp given its $5M+ premium. So you really believe it's the tires that make the difference vs AWD. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    Yep-- I am! It is tight-- we have an infant carrier for our 10m old- a cosco infant to 80lbs for our special needs 2 year old, and another reg carseat for my 4 year old. We can't have the cupholder on one of the carseats- but hey-- my 4 year old is so happy to be closer to the DVD! I'm not sure if someone has to get to the back-- I'll have to look when I go out to my car again to see how much room there is for someone to get to the 3rd row. I do know that the 3rd row can split so worst comes to worst they can climb in through the back! I'll check the clearance on the sides of the 2nd row- I have a feeling not a whole lot though, but has to be some since it's designed to sit 8. I am totally pleased with it and would recommend to anyone!
  • Options
    cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    There were some messages about the difference of AWD and TC, VCS. Basically AWD is good for acceleration when stuck in snow and dirt as long as obtain tracking on any wheel or more. It gives two more wheels' chance. TC is applying break on the wheel(s) skip which cause the wheel spin faster than others. So it's good for reduced speed on slippery road condition. VSC is design on turn with speed. If the driver response or correct too late, the system will detect and taking action before driver's input. It will combine with brake and cut off feuls until the driver geting control. So the AWD's value is only when both front wheels lost the tracking. On the pavement road, this rarely will happen. In some area with broken road, very light traffic or icy hilly road, it has an edge. Buit the problem is it costs at least $1500 more and 5-10% mileage deduction in average. For most (I would say 95%), it's not worthy the addition. I rather invest the money on a sets of decent snow tire at the extreme condition. Many people as I have discussed with think AWD or 4WD can do anything in the winter. Well, none will save you if you are on icy road with high speed, and accelerate or brke hard. RWD is more tend to skid/spin than the FWD and AWD. But TC with snow tire, here too, will make big difference.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    For those of you who have ordered Odysseys, was there a lot of demand? Or was it just a few people in line?
  • Options
    Has anyone puchased the EX and if so what prices are being quoted (esp. in So. Cal?)