Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey 2005+

Comments

• Options
    jayhondadjjayhondadj Member Posts: 7
    Prices have just been announced the MSRPs are, the LX $25510, the EX $28510, the EX w/leather is $30810, the EXL RES $32410, EXL R&N(RES & NAVI) $34610,
    TOURING $35010 and the TOURING w/R&N $38810.
  • Options
    golumolugolumolu Member Posts: 3
    Any Luck on what would be the typical Invoice Price? Seems like all the possible websites are having tough time to come to a decision on what to quote, Quite pathetic considering the fact that Invoice Price is also an anticipated number by a lot of folks.

It obviously should some percentage of MSRP unless I am missing something here.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,653
    Steve - what's a telephone booth? (just kidding. I'm old enough to remember dial phones too).

Invoice - What's the difference for now? No dealer is going to be working off of it for a while anyway. But, look at the '04. The percentage is usually about 90-92%. More than likely you can look at the % from '04 and get a close approximation for '05.

8th seat - no, it's not for adults, but it does make a decent tray table. If you routinly carry 3 in the middle row (and one isn't tiny), it probably won't work for you. But, it will function as an emergency child seat. Bring a 4 YO to test it out, not an adult. For me, the cusion would stay in the garage, and the tray would be down.

Many (most?) people would prefer 2 big captains chairs and a small bonus seat instead of 3 smaller seats w/o armrests like the Sienna.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    $30,000 minivans. Ouch.

So the lowest priced Ody is 25.5k? Caravans start at 18k, Siennas at 23k. Sedonas start at 20k with a 5/60 b2b and 10/100 powertrain warranty.

Seems a smidge high.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    minyiminyi Member Posts: 27
    Well, the one I looked at was EXL w/RES. Yet, not sure what could be different though. What could they put in the place for the spare tire in Touring model? I insisted to see where the spare tire was to the sales guy since I couldn't see any big enough space for the spare. I was actually amazed how that spare fit into that space, and didn't believe until I saw it with my own eyes...
  • Options
    Guess this means that some of the articles (including Money magazine) mentioned about 05 Odyssey pricing will be in-line with 04 model is a "lie"...
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I cannot believe I actually sat inside a Hyundai XG350 last night at the State Fair Auto Show.
    My impression:
    1st, I was disappointed Honda was a no-show all together.
    2nd the Sienna Limited looked good.
    3rd, if Hyundai would make their 2007 minivan look like the XG350 plus NAV+RES, it would be very nice.
    The chrome on the XG350 (inside & out) puts my Lexus LS400 to shame.
    The woodtrim on this $26K Hyundai puts the Sienna Limited to shame.
    The fit/finished looked great--the feel of the doors was solid heavy like my LS400---a lot heavier than the Sienna, my Avalon, or '03 Ody.
    And OH MY GOSH---the chrome. That front grille puts the '05 Ody and Sienna to shame. The THICK, HEAVY, METAL chrome was around every window front, side, rear. The side moldings were heavy metal chrome, not body colored or plastic. The shifter plate had huge heavy metal chrome.

Man, if the 2007 Hyundai minivan looks like that $26K XG350 inside & out, it will seriously challenge the big boys of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Chrysler.

I told the Hyundai rep that a year ago, I would not even sit in ANY Hyundai ANYWHERE.
  • Options
    attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    Just went to a Honda dealer. There are four HO '05 sitting on the lot and no one is checking them. Talked to two salesmen (one went to Dallas for HO '05 "conference")

The new HO has the best external appearance to this date, IMO. I asked a few questions about the new features:

VCM...

How does the VCM select which cylinders to deactivate, randomly or is it always cylinders A,B, C and let D,E, F work all the time?

"VCM will deactivate the same three selected cylinders all the time"

Since let say, A,B,C are always selected whenever VCM is working, it follows then that ABC will have less load and D,E,F will have more load and therefore D,E,F will be worn out sooner. Will it happen that way and may someday result to too much vibrations if one set of cylinders are more worn out than the rest?

"All cylinder heads will be moving all the time so the possibility of D,E,F being worn out earlier is less likely and therefore too much vibration from the engines will not happen"

PAX SYSTEM:

If you have problem with the tires,who will be able to fix it?

"Only Honda dealers have the ability to fix the PAX tires at this time." So, if ever you have a completely broken tire in I-10 in the middle of Texas or in I-80 in Colorado mountains where only Mom an Pap tire repair shops are present, you better pray hard for an available tow truck which will bring your HO '05 to a Honda dealer.

Is it possible to change Pax tires with a complete set of winter tires? Will it affect the tire pressure monitoring system or the vehicle stability assist (VSA)?

They do not know the answer!

There are also several HO 04. However, they are still not giving discopunts. I am not sure why they are not being sold at discounted price. The Alabama Honda plant was not damage by Hurricane Ivan. We will have a lot of choices in the next few weeks. I will wait a little longer. One thing I am sure, I will buy HO '05 and not the Sienna. How about hybrid Sienna? Well that is another option. Until I see it, I will stick to HO '05.
  • Options
    joyelysejoyelyse Member Posts: 21
    I can solve the spare tire question: The Touring model has the same space for the tire, but it is empty. It still has the tools. (I had the dealer open both to verify.) So, if you want to replace the run flat tires down the line, you can have a spare. It is a really tight space and not easy to get in to. I needed help. Not a deal breaker, but a little annoying.

I drove the Touring today, the Ex yesterday. The only difference I noticed in the ride was that the Touring seemed a little quieter. Handling and acceleration were good. The suspension is a little stiff for my tastes, but clearly intentionally so. It wasn't as easy to drive as my '97 Toyota Avalon, but that could be because I am not used to the vehicle, the length or being up high. The adjustable pedals made a huge difference for me. At 5 1, I have never been able to sit as far back from the steering wheel or have the seat belt fit as well. Overall, I felt very comfortable driving it under a number of conditions.

The seats were comfortable. They were as not quite comfortable for me as the MPV or the Sienna, but they were fine. I found the leather much more comfortable than the cloth, and I normally like cloth better. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the leather in the EX-L and Touring models? I ask because the same color combinations are not available. (Never again will I own an ivory interior. My dogs mess that up in seconds!) I took the opportunity to ride in all three rows. I was fine in each. As mentioned previously, the third row is a little short, but I was OK at 5 1, and I’m mostly planning to use it for children. It was a bit awkward to sit in the single seat with the rest folded down. I felt like the seat was narrow and that I might slip off. Of course, I have wide hips!

The biggest negative was the stereo. I thought it was terrible. My old ’95 Chevy Lumina sounded better. The tuner didn’t get any of the radio stations in clearly that come in strong on my tuner in the same location. Even the CD didn’t sound great. I’m sure many others won’t notice. But it’s an issue for me. I don’t want to spend $35k on a minivan and replace the sound system.

Even though I still like the driving experience in the MPV a little more, I have ruled it out in favor of the Odyssey. The superior gas mileage, emissions, and safety features (curtain air bags) clinch it for me. And, to be honest, I like a few of the luxury features like memory seats that aren’t available on the MPV, however if that was the only difference, I’d go with the Mazda. (BTW, I ruled out the Sienna, because I thought the steering was too mushy.)

Probably fairly soon I will head to a dealer further out of Boston where there are Subaru, VW, and Honda dealerships right in a row. That way I can compare the Outback, Passat, and Odyssey back to back. But in unless anything changes, if we decide to go minivan it’ll be the Odyssey.
  • Options
    attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    One of the things I like about the new HO is that the automatic is not gated. I have Maximas and BMW, all of them have gated sticks and my wife and I hate these gated sticks. I am thinking that with time, we will have problems with our wrists. It is less ergonomic compared to HO 05 which has up-down movement. I guess I am getting old that is why I may be thinking of my wrist ( Arthritis? he he he).

My two sons are different, they like the gated BMW. The good thing is, they will not drive the new HO '05 if ever I buy it.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    $30,000 minivans. Ouch.

I had a rental minivan recently, and only recently I checked out the price (at Edmunds) on that Ford Freestar. I couldn’t believe that particular model (SEL w/4.2 V6) carries a base price tag of $29K!

Sometimes there is more to the price tag. It is about what you get with it, as a package.

In case of Sienna, although the base price (CE) would be around $24K, you have to get side curtain airbags and stability control w/TCS packaged to get to Odyssey LX level.
  • Options
    mikeo1mikeo1 Member Posts: 53
    Steve,
    The old expression, "You get what you pay for"
    applies here. I bought a new Dodge Grand Caravan
    once and never again.

After 3 transmissions, 3 computers,
    and 2 anti-lock brake systems and
    much more ....all within
    120,000 miles. The first tranny failed at
    42,000 miles and my wife drives slower
    than my grandma.

I've owned 25 vehicles and
    never replaced an auto transmission.

You could say I'm done with Dodge products.

I have 53,000 on a '01 HO and have only
    replaced the sensors on the auto doors.
    Honda replaced at no cost.

I'll buy a '05 HO at $30,000 with no problem.
  • Options
    goodies cost money. There is also a lot of content in the Ody, all those seats, glass, etc. And the 30K is for a loaded model, so 25K decently equipped is doable, and consistant with a normal sedan V6. It has to cost more to make an Ody LX than an Accord Ex, even though they sticker about the same.

• Options
    I actually mentioned looking at the Chrysler also (the "value", aka the "I'm a cheap b." option). Her simple answer was "I don't want a domestic"

Might go back to our '96 Voyager, which had a number of recurring problems, and was sold much sooner than I intended. Knock wood though, our '99 Nissan Quest has been very reliable. Wifee just wants something new with more goodies, better seats, etc.

• Options
    $26k is fine if the value is there, but there seems to be a pretty big spread between the base Ody and other base minivans.

Freestars start at $21.6.

Entry level sedans are going for $26k now too? Double ouch :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Geez Steve - you sound like my father-in-law.

"$250 for a window - back when I first started building houses I paid $15 for that same window..." Well kind of - it wasn't low E insulated glass with tilt balances but it was the same sizew. You were also building $15,000 houses and paying yourself $60 per week.
  • Options
    O.K. Steve,
    I get it...you're trying to get
    the Honda loyalists fired up right?

Do you get paid by the number of
    e-mails generated?
  • Options
    lol, I paid $19,000 for my first house. Cars shouldn't cost $30, much less the $40 - $60k people are paying for luxo-barges :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    30K is a lot, but as we get older, the luxo goodies start to look better. I told my wife she can get whatever she wants, but with college starting in 5 years, she will have it for at least 10, so she better like it. Getting the loaded model it's more likely whe won't tire of it.

Neither one of us can concieve of dropping 37-42K on an XC90 or MDX, no matter how nice they are, and I refuse to start leasing just to get payments that don't make me gag.

• Options
    susanpsusanp Member Posts: 7
    We have ordered an O5 Odyssey, but I have to get a lift for my scooter to be able to use it. The lift manufacture says that the Odyssey's are not out in the midwest yet. The company is in Wisconsin. Aren't they available in all states?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Steve - I understand. I'm trying to keep my next purchase to under $25K if I can. My wife has resigned herself to the fact that even an Accord can push that number.
  • Options
    Thinking back on December '98 when I got my last new car, I went home from the dealer to get my checkbook intending to buy an Ody LX. And it was MSRP'ing for around $25k iirc. I thought it was worth it back then.

Turns out I got tag-teamed when the salesperson and I returned to the dealer and I walked, and saved three grand (plus whatever ADM the new guy was going to pull) in the process :-).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    samysamy Member Posts: 8
    Evan,

Penske in Ontario, CA quoted 05' base EX at MSRP all others quoted above MSRP. The local COSTCO dealer in Westminster, CA said that they will get COSTCO pricing at the end of this week. Also, notice there are no COSTCO prices posted for HO at their website! My advice be paitent give it some time till COTSCO has it on their website. I called COSTCO they said as of 3 days back no pricing agreement has been made for the HO. They did not know when it will be finalized.
  • Options
    Steve,
    It's all relative....you bought your house in the 70's
    and were making $4 an hour.....right?
  • Options
    Just talked with COSTCO. They say, HONDA has excluded the OD from any pricing agreement for now due to high demand. So dealers can charge what they want.

COSTCO says call back periodically and check if things have changed. So again the best thing is to hold tight and wait.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Check out www.imsminivans.com I heard the 2004 Sienna Rampvan costs about $40K. The company is in CA.
  • Options
    joyelysejoyelyse Member Posts: 21
    COSTCO, like Price Club? Forgive my ignorance. If that's not it, I have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The Sienna may start at $23,500 but you aren't getting the same level of equipment in the Sienna.

Advantages of a $25,510 Odyssey vs. a $23,500 Sienna:

4-wheel disc brakes
    Anti-theft system
    Rear heating and AC
    Cruise control
    Illuminated vanity mirrors
    Traction control/VSA
    Side curtain airbags for all three rows of seating

If you equip the Sienna comparably you will be very close to the Ody LX's base MSRP.

I wouldn't really put a Sedona and a 4 cylinder base Caravan in the same class as the Odyssey or the Sienna.
  • Options
    FWIW: We dropped by the local Honda dealer to take a gander at the 05 Odyssey. Like the exterior styling, like the look of the interior, love the driving position. My husband didn't like the material on the lower door panels though. We didn't drive one because we did not feel like removing the seat from the 04 Ody and installing in the 05 especially since we won't be buying for at least another 18 months.
  • Options
    Yes, COSTCO is Price Club (the name changed about 3-4 years back
  • Options
    mybuymybuy Member Posts: 42
    That's interesting. I had talked with the Costco approved Honda dealer in Cleveland this morning and he said that the Costco discount on the 05 Ody was $500. Maybe they pulled it later today.
  • Options
    All I can say is I called the toll free number in the Costco website (auto program page)and they did not have an agreement in place. If you do see the Costco price list at the dealer please let us all know. Also, is the $500 discount from MSRP. Thanks a bunch
  • Options
    kixokixo Member Posts: 35
    Do the turn signal lights in the rear blink yellow or red? I always liked vehicles that had yellow turn signal lights in the rear, but have noticed Honda often will use red. I think that's how the 00-02 Odysseys were.
  • Options
    minyi: I hope you enjoy your new Luxus.
  • Options
    ggsggs Member Posts: 30
    It would be $500 off MSRP.
  • Options
    kvmkvm Member Posts: 19
    The cheapest sale price that was offered to me in Portland, OR area was $29,005.00 (MSRP is $30,295) which is almost $1300 below MSRP.
  • Options
    kalp1970kalp1970 Member Posts: 6
    1) Can you get this option without the res?

2) If you get this option does the 6-disc In-Dash CD Changer go to a single disc CD Player?
    From my understanding this is what happens in the 04/05 Siennas.
  • Options
    kalp1970kalp1970 Member Posts: 6
    what dealer was this? On the phone a few of them are quoting straigt MSRP, no discount or no markup.
  • Options
    kvmkvm Member Posts: 19
    www.dickhannahhonda.com

Dick Hannah Honda...! I got this price over the internet. The internet pricing is always going to be better than dropping at a dealership or talking to a salesman at the dealership.
  • Options
    According to Honda's website you are unable to get the NAV without the DVD player although you can get the DVD player without the NAV on the EX-L model but on the Touring model you have to get both the NAV and the DVD player.

From my understanding you get the 6-disc capability regardless of whether you have the NAV or not.
  • Options
    ggsggs Member Posts: 30
    It would be $500 off MSRP.
  • Options
    bamaptbamapt Member Posts: 25
    I think I could be content with the features of the EX-L. My biggest gripe would be that Honda doesn't offer the power tailgate for the EX-L. I just don't think I could justify the extra cost of the Touring for the few other features.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    A Sedona or a 4 cylinder base Caravan are NOT in the same price range of either a base Odyssey LX or Sienna CE.
         "One gets what one pays for".
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    The navigation system understands more than 600 commands. I would like to know what does 'commands' stand for, words, or sentences?

Because I found that Ford have a system recognizing a little more than 600 words!

Here:

http://www.ford.com/en/innovation/vehicleFeatures/voiceRecognitio- n.htm
  • Options
    marlowe1marlowe1 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the Odyssey is Bluetooth enabled?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    What is the drive off price of your 05' Ody? Total price including all fees; Tax, lic, doc fees. Not including any options you may add.
  • Options
    potts_92potts_92 Member Posts: 5
    Yes I did get it for $1,410. of the MSRP.
  • Options
    kixokixo Member Posts: 35
    I bet in two years, Honda will add the power liftgate and a few other features like MIS to the EX model line. Honda has a history of upcontenting its vehicles, plus a few style changes (e.g., revised tailights) two years after model introduction.
  • Options
    ac00lraac00lra Member Posts: 69
    The navigation system understands more than 600 commands. I would like to know what does 'commands' stand for, words, or sentences?

A command in Honda's definition means a full command such as "find nearest Chinese restaurant"... At least that's the way they defined it for the Accord/TSX/TL so far. And the new NAV in the Ody is supposed to be way superior to the ones in the Accord/TSX/TL.

Someone was asking about Blue Tooth. The answer is no for now. There's nothing in the spec that say Blue Tooth. So far the only Honda/Acura that has Blue Tooth is the TL. Honda might add it to the Ody later though. I'm really keeping my hopes up for this one. And I hope I can easily add it to the 2005 model later also. :-D
  • Options
    There is no doubt in my mind that 05 OD is a great van. Test drive confirms it too. Yet, it may be a probably best thing in the market at this point, but how about after 2-3 years? Would we be still proud of paying for that pretty new, but not-so-hot-any-more van sitting in the garage at MSRP or even more? I don't know about others, but I can't afford to change a car every few years, esp. at this price. And, I bet most of would have 5-year loan on this thing, which makes it a couple of more years to go by then.

Most folks consider this van must have a couple of kids like myself. For those have 3 or more, I bet minivan is a way to go. But kids grow so fast. Would they really appreciate the minivan when they grow to be a teenager as they do now? Wouldn't they more "appreciate" to be dropped at school from a so-called luxury cars like Infiniti or Lexus rather than a 5-year-old minivan by the time payment is over (2009?)?

I asked my wife today when was the last time we actually put a person on the 3rd row seat on our aging minivan. She shaked her head few times, and could think of only once when some in-laws came in town. Do we really need that 3rd row seat for a couple of occasions of having some "strangers" a year?

Something like Lexus RX330 is selling around 1k over in-voice when I checked a few weeks back(35.5k with Premium Plus Pkg), which is not too out-of-par with new 05 OD (EX-L /w RES $32,410 MSRP). I strongly believe my 8 years old son would like it better than the aging minivan when he turns 13 (Sigh...), which is about the time the payment will be over.

Or, at least wait until December for a better deal if you can. Most of the manufacturers are cutting productions for 05 due to a slow sales. I am pretty sure you must have noticed there were so many Accords, Civics and Elements sitting in the Honda dealership lot with lots of yellow and red tags on them when you go check out the 05 OD. And this could be why the dealerships try to cash in so much so fast when the demand is strong.

I experienced some hassle and was even frustrated when I dealt for the 05 OD this week. Still considering 05 OD, but purely for my wife's sake, but I have to say, being a bargain hunter, going more toward 04 Sienna or a Lexus. I will be visiting a Lexus dealer this Friday, and possibly pick one up if my wife says okay after test drive. If not, hack, wait until December and try my luck again.

Most of the 05 OD getting delivered to dealership are manufactured in March or April this year, so there are MANY of them where they come from. Some folks already reported there are more supply than demand in some areas, so you can bet there will be no shortage of them any time soon.

Just my .02 cent...