Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Yaris

Comments

• Options
    carmen1carmen1 Member Posts: 19
    Oh no! Which dealership are you referring to? I'm in Canada, and waiting for my BC North Vancouver dealership to bring the Yaris in. I thought they'd be in by the 12th and I was projecting getting my Yaris a week from then.

No more buses!!!!! I can't take it anymore!
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    please post any news updates you find about either the new Yaris or the Scion xA for 2007 and how it might be indeed the new Ractis tall wagon, OK?

That is a credible guess on the Ractis, it would save Toyota development costs to come up with a new xA design, and the Ractis looks like a worthy size and body design to keep the Scion xA rolling along. It may even draw more buyers to the xA for the American market, as there are those of us who like the current xA design and like the 5-door model to be available here, with great gas mileage available.

We'll have to settle for the 4-door '07 Echo sedan here, now. Unless the slightly re-designed '06 Scion xA looks good to yyou.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Not a problem with me, as long there's no problem with them on low sales volume.
  • Options
    dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    You'd be looking at the end of the month if you ordered a Yaris now. Most dealers will get a demo model in a week or two. My prefered dealer is Downtown Toyota Centre. :)
  • Options
    doubledouble Member Posts: 44
    Hamilton Ontario. Car ordered on September 20th. LE package with air cond. in orange copper mica, 3 door.
  • Options
    a fine choice, a 2007 Toyota Echo 3-door sedan, in Orange Copper Mica, no less.

Very cool-I bet you can't wait to get it! Good choice of color!

• Options
    2007 Echo to you but 2006 Yaris to me. Understand the OCM will not be available in the good old USA. Pity!
  • Options
    We get bypassed by the Orange Copper Mica. :mad:

• Options
    jdgriswaldjdgriswald Member Posts: 11
    For the last time, it's an '07 YARIS not an Echo. We don't get an Echo sedan, "First up will be the three-door liftback, with another Yaris body configuration to be announced later." Canada may have the Echo sedan along side, but not in the U.S. I hope we get the 5-door, because I really don't want to import one considering the $800 just for the privledge; $400 for the importer and $400 to change the speedo (which I'm not convinced needs changing, just labeling)

Going up to Peace Arch on Monday for a hands on, and have been told by the GM regarding the delay rumor "If this is the case, and they intend to delay the launch, Toyota has yet to notify the BC dealers"

sephia you have seen the configurator from Toyota.com? Yaris Configurator
  • Options
    raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    That is a credible guess on the Ractis, it would save Toyota development costs to come up with a new xA design, and the Ractis looks like a worthy size and body design to keep the Scion xA rolling along. It may even draw more buyers to the xA for the American market, as there are those of us who like the current xA design and like the 5-door model to be available here, with great gas mileage available.

The reason why I think the Ractis will become the next-generation xA is the fact it could use a modified version of the 2007 Yaris drivetrain, probably keeping the CVT-7 automatic along with a six-speed manual for the US market. The Ractis looks very roomy for its size, and it's shape would appeal to far more buyers than either the current xA hatchback or the boxy xB hatchback. With the possibility of the xB going more "upscale" in the next generation (look at the recent Scion t2B concept car), that's the reason for my guess. :)
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I'm really excited about the Yaris. Sad that the five door will not make it. So far from what I have seen of it there is not much I would change. I'm a small car lover and any car that makes the class better is great by me. I'm still a huge X car scion fan. it is hard to beat the room for the money. The Yaris is so cartoon cute you can't help but fall for it. Can't wait to see in in person with some TRD wheels and suspension.
  • Options
    configurator is no where near as high-tech and efficient as the Kia website configurators and is slow and cumbersome to manipulate. I'll leave that to the experts that come here often to discuss Yaris feature details. Not gonna waste my time with it. Don't care enough, either.

Is it any wonder why someone might be confused about the American-imported name for the 2007 Toyota Yaris/Echo/Vitz? Toyota left it until just a few weeks ago to disclose pertinent name/model details, then announced that Canada will get different models with a different name and that combined with my actual average-scale total interest in a Toyota-made car of any sort and you get where iluvmysephia1 stands on this non-issue.

Move on and go get your Yaris/Vitz/Echo's and bring back da goods here to Edmunds and share real-life information about your new rides with us, OK? :)

• Options
    golfstromgolfstrom Member Posts: 2
    Indeed the 5dr Yaris should be in the Toyota line up here in the USA. Will it be available in the in Canada? If so maybe I will simply buy the car there and drive it home? Actually considering the CDN$ to the USD the deal might be very good. I would be that the Yaris 5dr WILL show up here in time.

The 5dr Yaris is the one I want to buy.
  • Options
    5 dr. will be here in Canada.
  • Options
    barnee61barnee61 Member Posts: 67
    I don't think the process would be as easy as buying it in Canada and driving it home. There are import tariffs & duties that the US would probably impose on the purchase, and there might be modifications you might have to make to the vehicle as well depending on what state you live in. Cars sold in Canada are in kilometres, not miles, so you would probably have to do (at least) a speedo change, plus the emissions and safety equipment are tuned to meet Transport Canada requirements, which might or might not meet the requirements your state imposes.

You'd want to investigate this further before purchasing...check on the import tariffs/duties with the Feds, and check on your state's requirements with you local motor vehicle licensing office.
  • Options
    719b719b Member Posts: 216
    and it won't be covered under warranty
  • Options
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I had investigated buying a vette stateside when they were hard to come by up here. (new style) Warranty would be null and void. They literally said they would not want to see it....
  • Options
    golfstromgolfstrom Member Posts: 2
    Actually the common agreement between the US and Canada allow most if not all vehicles sold in canada or vice versa to be covered under the standard warranty.

Essentially since the 45 state cars are the same as those sold in Canada with the exception of the kph speedo, there should be NO reason for the car not to be covered.

Actually I believe that due to folks moving back and forth between the US and Canada to live there are NO tariffs on private vehicles sold in either country.
  • Options
    According to Toyota, the warranty would be valid on an canadian import.

According to Vancouver area dealer, It has to be brought over the border by a registered importer after the speedo has been changed, both about $400 each.

I've seen 2.5% duty listed, and also heard there is no tariff. Will have to check with importer on specifics, if I get that serious about importing a 5-door. Still hoping Toyota U.S. brings the 5-door.

More importing details here....Import Rules
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    For more info, see our topic titled Importing Car into Canada from US.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Actually, the discussion at hand was about importing a Yaris into the U.S. from Canada. U.S. federal and state importation rules will apply.
  • Options
    navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Today I saw an ad in the paper about the Yaris. The car looks to "cute" to me, but I'm sure it will appeal to some.

I'm disappointed that they still have the center mounted instrument cluster.

Question - so will the Yaris replace the Echo in Toyota's lineup or is there also an upcoming Echo sedan?
  • Options
    lukeventuralukeventura Member Posts: 1
    Being a Canadian I am a little disapointed with the 2006 Yaris's pricing scheme especially compared to the Scion xA, it's disgusting how overpriced it is.
  • Options
    siwashsiwash Member Posts: 3
    Yaris is Awesome, America!

Just test-drove a 5 DOOR model. Excellent feel, quality, looks..the works

I'll be ordering one very soon..I don't know about how the car will do at the centre of the empire, but here in the colonies (i.e. Canada) it will just fine... Canadians will love this car, as small practical hatchbacks have always sold well here, contrary to the U.S.
  • Options
    rossm2rossm2 Member Posts: 96
    I just picked up my 2006 5-door RS this afternoon. I am VERY impressed by the solidness, fit & finish, and handling. The Echo hatch handled well, but the Yaris is excellent. The seats are very supportive, the stereo (6-disc MP3) has nice surround sound, and it is quite peppy. The difference between the Yaris and the Swift+/Aveo I tested a couple of months ago is enormous. IMO, the Yaris is a very well built small car, the Swift+ is purely an econobox. The Yaris shouts "Built to last!!!" :shades: :D

BTW, I'm 6' and when the front seat is comfortable for me, I can still sit in the rear seat fairly comfortably due to the high chair like position. My 42 lb. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever fits very nicely in the hatch even with the rear seats all the way back. The versatility of the rear seating is wonderful. I expect it to be one of the best cars I've owned in the last 40 years.

There are a couple of minor things I would change, most notably the intermittent wiper is a fixed interval one rather than variable. :( Overall, I think it is going to be a winner, at least in Canada. ;)
  • Options
    swngswng Member Posts: 15
    Congratulations rossm2. If you have time, please keep on telling more about your new car. Apart from what you have already said, more coverage about range, body integrity, quietness, economy, visibility, comfort, etc will be most appreciated. This will make my long wait for mine easier to bear. My wife and I are waiting for our 3-dr RS to arrive. There is no date yet. Thank you in anticipation.
  • Options
    I just took a quick run up and over the Hump (a steep and winding mountain pass) - in the light rain. WOW! I don't know how much is the car and how much the Toyos I put on to replace the Bridgestone RE92s, but it handled wonderfully. The lighting is good, significantly better than the '01 Forester according to my memory. It's no rocket, but it is more than quick enough for my use and the handling is almost Austin Mini Cooper-like. The perhaps overly light steering at low speed firms up nicely. The brakes are excellent. For an automatic, there is a lot of control. The gated shifter works very well, and engine braking is much more effective than in either of my other two automatics. Cornering seems much more level than with the Echo hatch. My dog will be happy when a) I get the rubber cargo area mat, or b) stop driving so exuberantly! She did a fair amount of sliding around back there.

The surround sound is quite good - very good compared to my norm. The Yaris is quieter than the EH, with less road and wind noise. The engine has a moderately pleasant growl when pushed, but is quiet otherwise. This feels like a VERY solid, strong, well constructed car. I've usually had small hatches/small wagons over the last 40 years, and this one has a real quality feel to it. I liked the Echo Hatch (EH), but the Yaris feels in a different class.

The gated shifter works very nicely and I like the leather knob (and steering wheel). So far I really only have two minor complaints: the intermittent wipers are fixed interval rather than variable (not optimal in Port Alberni), and the central instrument cluster is no longer turned toward the driver, but instead is parallel to the dash face. It's still very easy and natural (IMO) to use, but not as good as it was.

I waited 2 months from order to arrival, so I can relate to your situation. Relax, IMO it will be well worth the wait for you too. ;)
  • Options
    swngswng Member Posts: 15
    Great review! Thanks again, and again!
  • Options
    You mentioned gated shifter a couple times. What do you mean by "gated"? When I think of gated shifters, I think of drag strip or high end performance cars (Ferraris etc.) where the stick is guided through visible metal gates as you shift. Can you clarify what kind of shifter your Yaris RS has please?

thx
    Barnee
  • Options
    It looks like this....
    courtesy ashtaron14 echodrivers.com
  • Options
    Thanks. I missed the part of his review where he said he had an automatic. I thought he was referring to a gated manual stick, which would be quite something in a Yaris.

Cheers
    Barnee
  • Options
    poorjuddpoorjudd Member Posts: 32
    I wish they had used the same AT cover that they've used in the Solara, it would have brightened up the interior nicely.
  • Options
    otown47otown47 Member Posts: 1
    I sat in one today and noticed there was no right side arm rest for the driver. Seems to me this might be a problem on a trip......
  • Options
    There is an option for one at least in Canada.
  • Options
    it's a $95 option! that does suck though...should have been included and i will insist on it when i finally make a deal..
  • Options
    I like having both hands on the wheel. In 40+ years of driving I have NEVER used a right side armrest, so I'm glad they didn't make one standard.
  • Options
    Both hands on the wheel?

My that is boring.

LOL. I don't ever use an armrest either, I steer and usually only use my left hand to shift the manual tranny.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the armrest they offer as an option? I'm wondering if it's a cheap, thin folding thing? I can't see them having room in the Yaris to put anything substantial...
  • Options
    no armrest is very uncomfortable on highway/extended driving..it's not necessary to grip the wheel with both hands..perhaps in urban driving..

and i hear the Yaris arm rest could double as an arecraft carrier
  • Options
    carmen1carmen1 Member Posts: 19
    Hey! Which dealership did you buy your car from? I'm still waiting for my 3 door LE hatchbook from North Vancouver.
  • Options
    If you go to toyota.ca and use the infuriating Yaris configurator it will show you a pic of the armrest.
  • Options
    Echo Toyota in Port Alberni. :) I hope you don't have to wait much longer. I am more impressed with the Yaris every day. I think it is going to be a very good friend for a very long time. ;)
  • Options
    invisiblesoulinvisiblesoul Member Posts: 3
    >I am considering a new 2006 Yaris and heard that the rear seats are moveable to extend leg room or cargo space in the other direction. Is that true?

Yes. The entire rear seat can move forward to increase cargo space if needed.
  • Options
    They have a bunch on their lot since yesterday... saw at least 7 of them.

I picked up my Silver Streak Mica 5-door RS Package B 4AT there yesterday... so far, pleased as punch. :)
  • Options
    Thanks, just did. The armrest doesn't look bad at all. Worthwhile option for highway driving. Should be standard though, on anything else than the base. Then again, so should the 60/40 rear seat!

Oh well, looks like a great little car nonetheless. The dealers here in Ottawa have received them (at least a couple demos), so I plan on taking one for a test-thrash very soon.
  • Options
    I personally don't care for or even want a center armrest.
  • Options
    snifflessniffles Member Posts: 34
    Check it out! Only 40 mpg highway - yeeeeech, can't they do better than that!

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/yaris.html?s_van=GM_TN_FUTURE_YARIS
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Not only that, but it confirms that only front airbags are standard. :( So much for the Yaris... on to the Fit!
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Well, we already knew side curtains wouldnt be standard, so no shocker there. They're not standard on the Versa either. If Yaris models with side curtains are easy enough to find, and arent priced significantly higher than similar cars (Versa, Accent, et al), is this really a disadvantage? It seems to have some character too... Im not a fan of center stack instrumentation, but this looks well done, not cheapo like the ECHO. And the rest of the interior is pretty stylish.

40 MPG isnt as high as hoped, but its still 2 MPG ahead of the ratings the Aveo/Rio/Accent post, with about 4 fewer horses. My guess would be that since that rating isnt too high, the Yaris might be geared a bit shorter and offer better response, than say, the outgoing ECHO.

I dont know, I think its a bit early to rule out the car...THAT said, the entries in the this market are infinitely more intersting and livable as daily vehicles than even 5 years ago, and the Yaris faces really strong competition in the Accent/Rio... let alone the upcoming Fit and Versa. My concern with the Versa is that the engine is quite large, and I wonder if the scales are going to be tipped heavily in favor of acceleration and not economy.... which is my guess as to why Nissan has chosen a 6M and CVT..... to extract every last MPG possible.

alpha
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The ease of finding the optional side bags/curtains and ABS is the question, isn't it? That's why I prefer them to be standard--more cars to choose from when I go to the dealer. Sometimes it's hard to find small cars equipped like that.

Personally I detest center-mounted gauges--mostly because I can't see them very well out of my bum right eye. That by itself will knock the Yaris down a notch in comparison to competitors. I'll take the tasteful but more conventional dashes of the Accent and Versa any day.

The Versa is supposed to get 38 mpg combined on the EPA cycle with the CVT, and a few percentage points less than that with the 6-speed. That means it should be the best in class for fuel economy, with the possible exception of the Fit. Nissan is doing this the old-fashioned way--no CVVT like on most competitors including the Yaris--with the help of the CVT/6-speed trannies. Funny how Nissan can provide 120 horses and higher fuel economy than the Yaris despite Toyota's more modern engine technology. But the biggest strike against the Yaris--and Accent--for me is no five-door for the U.S.