Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,806
    '31 Ford looks incredible; you almost never see them like that anymore.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    Funny how the 3 that Stick likes are the 3 I immediately dismissed with zero interest at all.

The '92 Crown Vic sounds like a screaming deal if the miles are true. The Mark III is nice enough but the wheels need to go. The Aurora is pretty but scary to think of all the likely issues it may have or soon will have. The Falcon wagon would be no fun to drive at all but would be one that could probably benefit from a sensitive restomod if the price was more reasonable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,580
    I never cared for domestic barges. Not my thing! Weird small foreign cars with manuals, now we are talking!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,992
    I do like the Aurora however have the same concern about potential issues. Mom had a 98 Aurora and it was a very nice car. But like so many, electrical issues started around 90k, the infamous oil leak at the split block gasket (gravity type leak, just annoying) about the same time. At 105k, overheating , blown headgasket . She ended up giving it to my sister's family. They found a used engine and it was driven by her sons to high school and college for another 4 years. I was sad, however, to see it go into disrepair as it was never washed or loved. Mom loved that car and kept it show room new.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    A few years ago, I took this photo of my van and pickup. I want to say maybe late in 1997, as I'm pretty sure that I lifted that dog run and started converting it to a carport that summer.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I should clarify: Location was Chugiak, Alaska. In the background is the 11' Banner cab-over camper that sat atop the C20 for the first 28 years of its life. I had the camper until 2007, when I gave it to a friend to use as living quarters while he built his house. I think he, in turn, gave it to another friend to do the same thing a few years after that.

While the camper wasn't fit to haul on a pickup any longer, it really was fairly nice inside and made for perfect summer on-site accommodations.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,185
    Nice plate on the truck ;)

By the snow on the ground, I will guess Chugiak in August.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,716
    :D Being a short drive from Anchorage, I'd guess late October+. We usually had snow on the ground from Halloween through tax day.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    texases said:

:D Being a short drive from Anchorage, I'd guess late October+. We usually had snow on the ground from Halloween through tax day.

I'm trying to remember the details on the timing. I was going to school in Fairbanks at the time, so I want to say this was during the Thanksgiving holiday that year. While I *could* have shot the photo in August before I left for school, that would have been a national news-worthy event if we actually had snow like that in southcentral Alaska so early!
  • Options
    Some real rats in that nest!

• Options
    That Bonneville - rough, yes, but you get that sharp green interior!
    Kit car - might as well put the money in a fire pit and light it off...
  • Options
    Maybe shameful that I knew what the kit car would look like, I must have paid a lot of attention to those when I was a kid. Maybe with one less zero...

I think that might be the first or second year for a USDM ix, that one might be the deal of the litter with material of that era faring well. Appears to be a cloth interior car, which has to be rare.
  • Options
    mrwhipple311mrwhipple311 Member Posts: 54
    Bonneville has no damage or problems. Also no rocker panel on the drivers side
  • Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,288

Bonneville has no damage or problems. Also no rocker panel on the drivers side

Yeah, needs some serious metal work there

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,339
  • Options
    this looks like a fun car. interesting build. Good concept.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9eN2Xb1N/1987-bmw-325i-sedan

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,685
    stickguy said:

this looks like a fun car. interesting build. Good concept.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9eN2Xb1N/1987-bmw-325i-sedan

Bumpers have been tucked, which is good.
    225 hp engine from an E46. Haven't seen that swap, much.

Too bad they didn't swap in some sport seats. That might have made up for it being a sedan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2021
    "removal of catalytic converter" = automatic fail in my book.

And what's up with the rat's nest of wires in the glove box? Finally, that steering wheel and the aftermarket wheels don't look good IMHO.
  • Options
    Wires are probably the ECUs from the newer car.

• Options
    texases said:

And what's up with the rat's nest of wires in the glove box? Finally, that steering wheel and the aftermarket wheels don't look good IMHO.

There is a reason they don't do M54 swaps on E30s. Way too many electronics on the '99-'06 engine.

When the guy says it's better than an S52 swap (from a '95-'99 M3), that's where he goes off the rails.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I'd rather the original engine was rebuilt, plenty of performance parts available, stock wheels + summer tires, performance suspension, some sports seats from that era.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,963
    texases said:

I like the minilite wheels on there, personally.
    And a cat delete doesn't bother me one bit on something that old. Of course, he could have used a high-flow cat instead. But, no biggie, and I'm not sure why it is even mentioned on a custom car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Well, cat delete = major polluter. 10X what it should be.

And I'd be OK with wheels that look like, or were Minilites. Those aren't close enough, and I don't like the color. IMHO, as always.
  • Options
    texases said:

And I'd be OK with wheels that look like, or were Minilites. Those aren't close enough, and I don't like the color. IMHO, as always.

It's possible that Sport seats aren't compatible with the sedan, as that wasn't an option. All the iS models are coupes.

I'll disagree on the power thing, though. There isn't a lot you can do with the stock M20 engine. Massive tweaks might only get you another 10 HP (168 HP stock). The S50 or S52 (240 hp) is hard to beat.
    I've seen M50/M52 swaps (from a non-M E36), but those don't hardly seem worth the trouble for 16 HP. Sometimes, those seem opportunistic (I need an engine, and I can get this one cheap. Which is probably how they ended up with an E46 engine)

Maintenance on the E36 engines is much lower than on the E30 engines, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Yeah, I guess I'd have to go with something like these M20 replacements from Metric Mechanic:
    https://metricmechanic.com/baby-six-m20-engines/

Of course, then we're talking $12,000+...OUCH!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    texases said:

Yeah, I guess I'd have to go with something like these M20 replacements from Metric Mechanic:
    https://metricmechanic.com/baby-six-m20-engines/

Of course, then we're talking $12,000+...OUCH!

Yeah... not sure who would drop that kind of coin.

Unless it's an M3, engine swaps don't really devalue an E30. After 30+ years, it's a normal thing in a restoration. It's the same with a 2002, and S14/M20 swaps. Done well, it's desirable. (unless you have a 2002 tii or a 2000 turbo)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,963
    texases said:

I guess I'm biased by the fact that, back in the days of actual emissions testing, we had many vehicles "fail" while sporting stock emissions equipment and subsequently "pass" when we bypassed all that junk, including the cat (not bypassed in that case, but gutted so they could see it was still there). It baffled the hell out of me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

texases said:

I guess I'm biased by the fact that, back in the days of actual emissions testing, we had many vehicles "fail" while sporting stock emissions equipment and subsequently "pass" when we bypassed all that junk, including the cat (not bypassed in that case, but gutted so they could see it was still there). It baffled the hell out of me.

Milestone post.... ^^^^^

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I like my way, just have a car that predates even the most primitive smog pump by several years - problem solved by never existing!
  • Options
    Someone was a little groggy and didn't want to wake up this morning, just like me (that's mostly steam in the pic, warming up on a freezing morning). Moved in officially yesterday, cars are now slumbering beside each other:

The car got a lot of looks and a couple compliments today, it seems to look best in more gentle light. Wagon actually got a compliment in a parking lot too.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,505
    fintail said:

Someone was a little groggy and didn't want to wake up this morning, just like me (that's mostly steam in the pic, warming up on a freezing morning). Moved in officially yesterday, cars are now slumbering beside each other:

The car got a lot of looks and a couple compliments today, it seems to look best in more gentle light. Wagon actually got a compliment in a parking lot too.

Did you get your pre move-in improvements done?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Mostly. Not all of it, but the house is livable and the big jobs (paint and floors) are done. I am exhausted.
    Michaell said:

• Options
    fintail said:

Mostly. Not all of it, but the house is livable and the big jobs (paint and floors) are done. I am exhausted.

Michaell said:

Well, do enjoy your new home! You have a long time to attend to the things it needs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946

Congrats Fin! Car looks right at home.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    fintail said:

Michaell said:

That sounds about right. Welcome to home ownership! :D
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946

When owning a home there is always something to do. Even more so if you are a knucklehead like me and own two.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Once I have a functioning kitchen (currently without counters and sink, stove is also disconnected), I'll be very pleased. This could turn into a "Project Houses" thread :)
    xwesx said:

fintail said:

Michaell said:

That sounds about right. Welcome to home ownership! :D
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited November 2021
    So I'm about to turn my $30K S4 into a $50K 2015 S4 with 44K miles and a brand new motor. Unfortunately the market and insurance companies won't do the math the same way I am :angry::disappointed::worried:

Used cars w/o a warranty that are worth 5 figures or more are a risk I no longer wish to engage in.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    decent rule of thumb IMO is for expensive, complicated and pricey to maintain imports are for leasing, and mainstream, reliable, cheap to keep are what you buy and keep forever.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,992
    andres3 said:

So I'm about to turn my $30K S4 into a $50K 2015 S4 with 44K miles and a brand new motor. Unfortunately the market and insurance companies won't do the math the same way I am :angry::disappointed::worried:

Used cars w/o a warranty that are worth 5 figures or more are a risk I no longer wish to engage in.

Are you having the Audi dealership do the work? Does the new engine come with a warranty. I feel for you, that situation bites. It is a beautiful car.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    sda said:

andres3 said:

Are you having the Audi dealership do the work? Does the new engine come with a warranty. I feel for you, that situation bites. It is a beautiful car.
    At the moment, it's a beautiful lawn ornament. It'll be a car again once the engine is replaced.

:sunglasses:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,288
    stickguy said:

decent rule of thumb IMO is for expensive, complicated and pricey to maintain imports are for leasing, and mainstream, reliable, cheap to keep are what you buy and keep forever.

Damn, I can't believe the engine grendaded at 44k. Sorry that happened

I'm stuck in the past. I have trouble accepting any car over 30k that won't have a warranty attached to it but I guess the market is much higher now
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    sda said:

andres3 said:

LOL, if the dealership was doing it I'd be paying $4K more in labor, and probably another $1K in parts at least (not including whatever ridiculous markup they wanted on the engine). Heard someone got a quote for like $28K from a dealership for an engine issue (of course, that one was north of 100K miles).

I am getting some new parts and pieces "while they are in there" and for fear of using a 7 year old "good part" that might not be so good at 7 years after crazy engine failure, so this includes:

1) 12 mo.12k mile warranty (I can't help but think this is Audi's way of saying screw you to non-dealerships).
    2) 5w40 Total Quartz 9000 7 Quarts Motor Oil and Oil Filter
    3) 1.5L of Fresh G13 Coolant
    4) Exhaust manifold gaskets
    5) Seals, Gasket upper, additional seals and gaskets
    6) Fuel Injector Seal Kit
    7) Thermostat
    8) Oil Separator
    9) Coolant Pump
    10) Oil Cooler Seal
    11) 6 New Spark Plugs NGK
    12) Haz Disposal (CA / EPA thing?)
    13) Labor to replace engine was sharpened to 26 hours. Am told Longitudinal V6 is much more work than a 2.0T for example, and transverse mounted motor. Not all engines are easy to swap, The S4 is apparently a difficult time-consuming one; he said it was likely taking over 40 hours in reality.
    14) Labor to transfer transmission, supercharger, components to new engine.

The only think left to find out is how much more a 4.0T V8 engine costs and what the extra labor for that swap would be!!!!! :smile:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    gsemike said:

stickguy said:

Damn, I can't believe the engine grendaded at 44k. Sorry that happened

I'm stuck in the past. I have trouble accepting any car over 30k that won't have a warranty attached to it but I guess the market is much higher now
    If it was CPO I'd have been in luck and covered (Audi is 1 year unlimited mileage for CPO).... however, I think it was just a bit too old to be CPO, and it was from a BMW dealership anyway.

If I had gotten a 12K warranty I'd have been SOL anyway. As they say, it could have been worse, if the engine had grenaded in the first 30 days and 1,000 miles I'd probably be suing Arrowhead BMW in Arizona right now.
  • Options
    And I just want to say if the repair bill was $28K the math just doesn't make sense anymore, and instead of writing about it here it would make more sense to just park it in Tijuana with the keys inside and forget I ever did that or said that.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,104
    The Orca wagons like that Custom Cruiser do seem to be bringing that kind of money, or at least there are many priced at that level when listed for sale. The later Roadmaster wagons with the HO 5.7 are the ones to get though. I would like it a lot more with a less flowery description by the seller, who also needs to learn that it is an Olds, not "Old's". I was expecting him to trot out the line from Pulp Fiction when he started writing about the Silhouette minivan but thankfully he avoided that at least.

I don't think I have ever liked a Mustang in that sort of good condition less than that "High Country" thing. The color is awful, and the screwed-on badge looks really cheesy.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Integra look clean enough for the money. That was the generation I had.. also an LS hatch. But a 5 speed of course. Fun car, but I needed more headroom. Loved the seats.