Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? Or, are you planning on using your tax refund toward any expenses related to your car?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Are you the parent of a generation Z child (born in the mid-1990s to the early 2000s)? Do you have differing opinions on the importance of buying a car, what types of vehicles you're interested in, or just how you view cars in general? If so, a reporter would like to speak with you and your child. Please reach out to [email protected] by Friday, January 25 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Warranty Claims Administration

Comments

• jdilljdill Posts: 6
    My warranty is 7 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. They have no problem with the fact it is Canadian. They have a problem with the fact that Honda has admitted a known issue and is fixing them right and left all over the country at their cost. So the warranty folks throw it back to Honda, and Honda says, "hey, it's not registered with any country, so it's not OUR problem." They decline to help. Irony is that if the dealer had never argued with the warranty folks on their diagnostics, this issue would never have come up. Until the warranty folks demanded a pressure test on the transmission and the dealer declined (and thus gave their reasons) it would have been paid for by the warranty folks when it failed the stress test. I wouldn't have known, they wouldn't have know, and we all would have been satisfied with the outcome. I would now have a new 3 year, 36,000 mile transmission and be blissfully ignorant of this whole issue.
  • I'm buying a brand new 2005 Honda! I want to get an extended warranty - 7yr/100,000 miles. Has anyone heard of a company called "Warranty Direct"? They also go by the name "Interstate National Dealer Services". Warranty Direct sells to the public. Interstate sells to banks, credit unions and car dealers. They are a member of the BBB, BBBonline, have a "satisfactory" rating, and have had 3 complaints in the last 36 months. They sell over a million policies a year. I need the peace of mind that comes with being totally covered for everything (except regular maintenance and cosmetics), so I really want to get the extended coverage. Anybody ever deal with this company?
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 867
    I recommend you check the price of a real Honda Warranty. www dot ihondawarranty dot com is one site to price on-line. Checking a new 2005 Accord V6 for example, 7y-75K mile warranty is $925 for $0 deduct and $860 for $50 deductible. When I gave them my contact info I got a code for another $75 off. Provider is actually Griffith Honda, The Dalles, Oregon. griffithhondacare.com .

Also there is curryhondacare dot com and jayhondacare dot com.

I would only buy a manufacturer backed warranty for any brand. Too many of the others will not be around in 3-4 years when you really need them. This is my opinion only.
  • mitzijmitzij Posts: 613
    A little company named Warranty Gold boasted similar credentials-BBB member, A++ rating with AMBest, blah blah blah, shortly before they went bankrupt and left many people holding expensive pieces of paper that were worthless.

I generally don't care for Service contracts (aka extended warranties), but if you must buy one, get one backed by your vehicle's manufacturer. Honda's going to still be in business in 5 or 6 years if (...IF, not When...) you have a claim.

And, remember, there's no such thing as a bumper to bumper extended warranty. All of them have exclusions and much fine print. Read the whole contract Before spending your money.
  • They have been around for 25 years, so I don't think they're going anywhere soon, but I will definitely check out Hondas warranty. Thanks.
    Warranty Gold was around for a few decades also.
  • I'm going with the Honda warranty.
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 135
    I took my 2002 Mazda Tribute to a local Mazda dealer, not the one where I bought the car. The air bag light had come on. They diagnosed a bad seat belt pretensioner, which is covered under the 5 yr/60k safety warranty.

They are charging me $94 service charge because I didn't buy the car from them, the repair itself is covered. They also had the audacity to remove the license plate frames from the selling dealer and put their own on.

Is this common practice? I will probably write Mazda and complain, not that I'm expecting any action from them.

The selling dealer moved further away from me and it is a real hassle to get there.
    No, it's not normal practice to charge a customer diagnostic time for a repair covered under manufacturer warranty. At the very least, it's a bad business practice. You're not likely to do business with them in the future, are you? It may even go against their Mazda/Dealer agreement. I don't think we (a GM dealer) are allowed to charge our customers for anything related to a warranteed repair.

If you had Anything else checked out, they are allowed their diagnostic time.

I could tell them where to put their L.P. frame, too! :P
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Posts: 702
    Just go to a different dealer for warranty work.
  • normkolnormkol Posts: 135
    Thanks, this is probably the first and last time I will go there. I'll just make the longer trip to the dealer I bought the car from.
  • Just an update. I bought my car insurance from Geico. For a few dollars a year, THEY extend the manufacturers warranty for 7yrs/100,000 miles. It's a relatively new thing they do, and its really incredible!
    I checked out Geico's website and tried to find their contract. They didn't have a link to it so I could read it, however, they call it a 'mechanical breakdown contract'. That means a component must be broken before they will pay for replacement. That eliminates items like ball joints (they don't break, they wear out) and possibly electronics (they develop shorts, or lose their brains (won't communicate) as opposed to actually breaking). It is not an extension of the manufacturer's warranty.
    I would be interested to know what they do and don't cover on this plan. If you're in the mood to type a lot, post the coverages/exclusions, as well as what parameters they use for parts (OEM, aftermarket...) and labor (times/rates).
  • I've ran accross this problem before....I can give you the number of the folks at Honda to contact and get your warranty validated in the US... I believe there is a recall that includes your fan on the tranny....I'm a 13 year veteran with Honda/Acura warranty....I might be able to help ! John
  • farokhfarokh Posts: 2
    Hi
    I think I have the same problem. I bought an Odyssey 2001, back in 2001, after driving it for 75000 miles with no other issues, the tranny gave up. Did not know if it was canadian or not at the time (I thought they were built in Japan back then). Now they tell me it is gray Market! Althoug Honda America and Honda Canada both say there is a problem with tranny (All trannys are built in Japan) and they both extended the warrantee to 8 years/100,000 miles,But since I bought a Candian Honda in US, I am stuck with it. I can not believe Honda is doing this to the customers. This is very bad for Honda. I am about to write to Honda President. I have owned Honda cars in US since 1979.
    I think Kia and other Korean car makers are more sensetive an proactive these days.
    Please let me know if you have a link that I could complain to, in Honda Japan. I think the American and Candian subs are tranishing the Honda Japan image.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    FAR..........Any chance that if you took it to a Canadian honda dealer
    would they warranty fix it?

I live along the US-Canadian border and anyone I knew with a GM or Ford
    ex-canadian vehicle still under warranty would just take it to a Canadian
    dealer for a warranty fix......................
  • mwoldmwold Posts: 2
    We have spun rod bearing on our Mazda6. The dealer wants to replace the engine. The warranty company wants them to just replace the crankshaft and rod bearings. The dealer along with a fewothers I called wont do engine internals. We're stuck in the middle and can't get either to budge.

Anyone have any ideas that we can try? This is killing us. We stil make our monthly payment and insurance yet the car sits at the dealer.
    I've got a couple of ideas, both will cost you money.

1. find a dealer that will do internal work on engines and work with EasyCare. have the car towed there (the tow would be on your dime and the shop where it is now would probably charge you diagnostic/tear down/put back together fees)

2. ask EasyCare if they will pay the amount of the crankshaft/rod bearing work and you will pay the difference. have the dealer replace the engine.

Unfortunately, your service contract allows EasyCare to dictate how much they will pay, so I don't think you can force them the buy you an engine.
  • ranajoranajo Posts: 57
    I hope that I am posting this in the right forum.

I have a 2004 G35x which is still under warranty. It is due its 15,000 mile service.

In order that the warranty is not impacted does the servicing have to be done by an Infiniti dealership?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 62,927
    No but God have mercy on your soul if you don't keep detailed receipts with dates, mileage and type of product/service performed on the letterhead of a credible service facility.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• t140dt140d Posts: 2
    Hi, John. I'm having the same problem with warranty on a legally imported canadian Odyssey. The tranny's shot but the US dealer said they can't help. Could you get me the phone number so that I might try and get this resolved? Thanks!
  • just found this site it is awesome,seems sometimes there is no one to help us warranty administrators.my problem is this, i have 18+ yrs exp in ford and gm warranty,but i was recently employed by a gm-dodge dealership and i have no dodge exp,but i am giving it my best. my problem is that i have been entering chrysler claims to no avail,everything i enter into claims submission comes back rejected.anyone with chry warr exp knows that there is no longer a helpline,you just have to wait on the warr district rep to come pay the claim.there has got to be another way to do this and i just dont know how.i recently started bringing my claims home so that i can do them here on my pc since chry claims have to be submitted on the website (daimler chrysler dealer connect) anyone with chrysler experience... please help,i've $30,000 in claims sitting on my schedule with less than 90 days to get them paid, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have a honda 2002 odyssey with transmission problem,this van has had problem with the transmission from the day I drove it off the dealers lot .I have had it back to 2 other honda dealers to look at and they all try to fix but poblems come back. The van has 97.789 miles on it now can anyone HELP ME

Thanks Bill
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,081
    Hi bboucher,
    The best place for your question is in our Transmission Traumas? discussion. This one is more about the claims administration process, and we probably can't help you with a specific problem with your vehicle here.

Please visit the topic linked above and post as many details as possible about your problem.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• Im a GM warranty administrator and my dealer also just purchased saab. I am in the same boat as you and I have to learn things as they come. I havent been able to find any classes or CDs yet but the Policies and Procedures Manual in dealerworld is a goldmine of info. It is new for 2006 and has all Saab info offset by yellow highlight. Its really easy to read. Im finding saab warranty extremely irritating compared to GM, but I learn to things every day. Also, I found out that the help center is filled with a bunch of temps and they are learning as they go also. Eventually, they will transfer everything to the GMhelpline to make it easier. Cant wait until everything merges onto a new claims system, but that wont be until 2008. Its supposed to be alot easier. Basically, printing out the manual is well worth it.
  • We are currently thinking of purchasing a 2001 Honda Odyssey which we know was manufactured in Canada; currently has 91,500 miles. Everything that we've read about the 2001 transmission is concerning us. Any advice/suggestions? Is it actually a positive that the transmission is at 91,500 and it's ok? How do we find out if this particular one was recalled?
    Get the serial number and call your nearest Honda dealer (ask for Service dept). They should be able to look it up by VIN (serial number). You'll have to ask if they can do recall work on it since it was built in Canada.
    I can do recall work on Canadian GM vehicles, but I'm not sure how Hondas work.
    Either way, have the Ody checked over by your favorite mechanic before you buy it.
  • 6lines6lines Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a Nissan Warranty Administrator with 10 years of experience. I also handle Hyundai, Subaru, Isuzu and Suzuki.
  • hardthardt Posts: 2
    We are having the same issue with our "grey market" Honda Odyssey. It is having the transmission issue and they tell me at the dealership that it would be covered, but not since it is a "grey market". I am okay with paying some of the bill, but this is a known quality issue that they are turning their backs to. Do you have the contact information available? Tim