Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    savvyknightsavvyknight Member Posts: 39
    Yes, obviously an expert. Probably about as much of an expert as you are.

Tell me something; will the manufacturer of a good wax repaint your vehicle if bug splatters etch into your paint after using their product?

Will these same wax companies repaint your car if bird droppings etch into your paint?

Xzilon does this for their customers. Period.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's not worth $600 to me. It's not worth $40 actually.

For more, please take it to the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) discussion since we're getting off-topic here.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jmcmannisjmcmannis Member Posts: 39
    I'm in Pittsburgh too. What dealers have you been to? I've only been to Spitzer as they're the closest. They only had 2 when I was there last Saturday, a white 4x2 Base and a blue 4x4 base. All I did was just checked out the one in the showroom. Haven't talked pricing yet. I'm thinking of going back today to check it out more and start talking price. I'm torn between the Sport and Ltd. I like the charcoal interior color of the sport. It looks similiar to what I have now and is good for hiding dirt. But it's only available on the Sport, as is the flint mica exterior color which I like. I like the automatic climate control of the Ltd.
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    yea its a tough call. We have the limited version and LOVE the automitic climate control. I DO like the 18" wheels better tho on the sport. BUT the 17" tires we have on the Limited will be cheaper to replace in the future then the 18"'s.. you also get on the limited which is not on the sport, the following..
    * chrome trimmed grill
    * hard/ locking spare tire shell
    * Pollen filter in the ac system
    * 6 disk in dash cd player. (optional on the sport)
    * leather wrapped wheel and shifter
    * interior footwel lighting
    * engine immobilizer and alarm wiring prewiring
    * optional in limited not available on sport is the rear seat DVD entertainment system and 3rd row seating
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    If done properly by a qualified shop putting leather in aftermarket is no different than factory leather. We put it in our standard model Highlander V6 and it was perfect. I just did it for a lady on her new Prius.. it looks every bit as good as the new '06 Model. I will probably do it on my own Prius soon.

We probably do aftermarket leather 10 times a week on everything from Corollas to Siennas to Sequoias.
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Would it be possible for you to take the spare tire cover off to see if it's a matching alloy?
  • Options
    larneslarnes Member Posts: 59
    You do know that the protection of "clear coat" is non-existent, right?

Clear-Coat is nothing but a coat of paint without pigment. It does next to nothing in protecting your paint from the elements.

Well, I beg to differ. Clear-coat does in fact protect the paint, albeit from the elements, not rocks and scratches etc. If it was just paint without the pigment it would oxidize and get dull. It doesn't. To prove that, try rubbing some car polish or cleaner over a spot and look at the cloth. It'll be clean. Clear coat is some kind of plastic (I don't remember the product name) and can peel
    off if it gets damaged by deep scratching etc. Paint won't do that.

Of course this may all be a regional thing. Maybe cars going to different parts of the country get different coatings. I know it protects my finish...sorry about yours. :sick:

Larry
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    I luv these people that write as if they knew something!

Clear coat is just paint w/o pigment as was stated. It is not some kind of plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can get dull and lose brilliance!!

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=Paint Questions&faqQuestionID=42&- section=_42#_42
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's clear coat paint and clear coat film (some water based stuff; other stuff that's more like a lacquer).

I think the point of most of it is to provide a sacrificial layer to protect the base coat(s).

The best thing to do with a new SUV is to key it yourself and get the first scratch over with. Then you can cruise the narrow little forest service roads, and enjoy it more. :P

Steve, Host
  • Options
    larneslarnes Member Posts: 59
    pro's of a 4 and cons.

All I can offer is that 4-bangers can be noisy, and can wear out faster that 6's or 8's because they have to work harder.

Anyway, consider power(cubic inches)-to-weight. The vehicle being the same, the 6 will get close to the same mileage because it isn't working as hard. And, It's much quieter and smoother. And if you read deeper in the specs, the gearing is different. The 6 will be geared higher for better mileage and the 4 lower to compensate for less horse-power. Hence, it runs at higher RPM's...shorter life-span.

As for mileage difference: I doubt there would be $100.00 difference in a year of driving. That to me is not worth buying a particular car just to save a few bucks.

Don't forget the fun of driving it too. Cars are too expensive to make a bad decision on. Even if you have to rent one for a week or so to get a feel for it. It's money well spent.

Cheers, :blush:

Larry
  • Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Larry, I agree with you on the fun and miles part. Lots of people focus on the MPG numbers forget the big picture of the fun and enjoyment of the car etc. If you drive 50,000 miles per year then 2 MPG makes a $ difference I guess. But then so does sitting behind a truck on a hill waiting for the "right moment" to stress out the 4 banger and hope you make it past the guy before the next big truck comes the other way! Also, a lot depends on the engine power ande torque curve. Both the I4 and V6 seem to need a lot of RPM to make the numbers.
    So you pay your money and take your choice.
  • Options
    All I can offer is that 4-bangers can be noisy, and can wear out faster that 6's or 8's because they have to work harder.

In theory correct, but.... Toyota 4c's can expect to go 200K mi plus. That's 15 yrs of 15000 mi per year. That's far in excess of what most drivers will put on a vehicle. Possibly the 4th owner might hit the 250K mark. I'm the exception, I'll hit it in 5 years.

The Hwy mpg ratings between the new 3.5L and the 2.4L are inconsequential so it comes down to initial cost really.
    Both are chain driven and really need little or nothing other than oil and air filters for the first 100K mi. If you like the feel of power and the $2000 or $2500 is not an issue go with the V6.

Both engines will serve their purpose very well.
  • Options
    dmuttdmutt Member Posts: 48
    Another thing to consider when going with the V6 is the difference in transmissions. The 6 comes with a 5-spd auto. The 4 with a 4-spd auto. So the price difference is not only the engine but also the transmission.
  • Options
    Ill be willing to bet anyone that the city mileage is gonna be at least 3-4 mpg less with the 6.. he twin cam Toyota 4 is a sweet engine. It will last a long time..

Frank
  • Options
    edgoredgor Member Posts: 31
    Anyone know when the safety ratings will come out for the 2006 Rav4?
  • Options
    Anyone know when the safety ratings will come out for the 2006 Rav4?

The IIHS will do their tests when they feel like it. Theirs is the real criteria to consider. The NHTSA test should be out shortly but these tests are a joke and not worth considering.
  • Options
    So what would be reasonable price to get a 2006 RAV4 Sport changed to leather after purchase?
  • Options
    And if you look at the details, the V6 has bigger front brakes than I4 unless you get the 3rd row seat.

I my opinion unless you plan to haul heavy loads or have real hills to climb at highway speeds, there is no way to justify the cost of the V6 except in the enjoyment factors: Less noise, smoother and you can rip it once in a while to have fun!
    I am waiting to try it.
    Enjoy
  • Options
    around $1200-1500 installed.

Frank
  • Options
    annandaleannandale Member Posts: 6
    Just filled up my second tank of gas on my new RAV4 - 4 cylinder - purchased on New Years Eve. The MPG on the first tank was 20 but may not have been accurate since the dealer filled it up initially. I wasn't sure whether I started off with a completely full tank. The second tank was definitly full to start off with and I got just under 20 MPG. I commute 50 miles round trip each day to an from work and about half of that milage is bumper to bumber clogged highway traffic and the remainder averages around 70 mph. I'm disapointed. I though the MPG would be much better or at least at the low end of the EPA estimate.
  • Options
    For two rows of seats and 4 door panels you can expect to pay ~$1395... 3 rows of seats and 4 door panels maybe $1695. It close to the factory addon and you get to choose your color scheme if you want.

If you choose to do so let us know how you like it. I think you'll be impressed.
  • Options
    clamclam Member Posts: 36
    Are you a troll? Your car's engine isn't even close to being broken in, you're sitting in traffic for "half of that mileage", and you say you're disappointed in a reading close to 20 MPG.

A lot of SUV owners would kill for that reading.
  • Options
    annandaleannandale Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply.

How long will the break-in period be? Do you think the RAV will run smoother over time - a little jerky and a lot of engine noise right now.
  • Options
    the engine will break in and after 2000 mile the mileage will definetly go up.. All engines have to break in..

Our first tank was 21 and im sure it will go up too:)

Frank
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    There is no (documented) proof that a "Toyota" 4cyl is less reliable than any 6 or 8 cyl. In fact the opposite is the case if you read and believe CR and JD Powers & Assosiates survey results. Any statement to the contrary is pure speculation and based on personal biases (and possibly outdated information). Yes some 4cyl. engines can be noisy (even smaller Toyota ones). Not this one. Have you ever owned/driven a 4cyl. Camry or driven the new RAV? They are far from being "noisy". If you have/had (owned/driven this 4cyl) these are claims you would not be able to substantiate. Also, this 4cyl has enough power to satisfy a majority of buyers.

The reason I may be forced to purchase the 6cyl is because, in Canada, leather and extra air bags are only available with the 6cyl LTD. The increased towing capacity may also be beneficial if I buy a larger fishing boat.

Either motor would be an excellent choice. However, the decision should be based on needs/requirements and personal preferences. With proper maintenance, both should be equally reliable.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    By your theory, bigger engines should get better mileage and last longer because they run a lower rpm.
    That makes small engines pointless since you will spend more money on gas and the frequent engine replacements from all the extra wear they have to withstand.
  • Options
    good points guys.. All true too...
  • Options
    agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    One suggestion is to keep the original oil close to 5k miles before changing it, as I've heard it has special additives that helps to break-in the engine...
  • Options
    joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Don't the 4s these days run less rpms?
  • Options
    jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
  • Options
    joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Thanks for the info but I got all the specs already.

I read an article somewhere and can't find where I bookmarked it, that says the 4 cyl run less rpms due to higher compression etc. Not necessarily just 2006s or Toyotas but 4 cylinders in general for the last few years.
    Ken
  • Options
    jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    I would like to see the RAV4 in a diesel, but Im sure that is several years away. :(
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Let's assume for the purpose of this discussion that it takes 25HP at the drive wheels to move the new RAV4 at 55MPH on a flat smooth road. Let's further assume that the 4 cylinder is not as large in cubes as is the V6.

Given the same level of optimization of fuel burn the 4 cylinder must turn faster to generate that same 25HP.
  • Options
    edgoredgor Member Posts: 31
    After you break the 2000 mile barrier, what sort of MPG are you expecting to get, based on past experience?
  • Options
    That could be. But generally, engine rpm depends upon gearing.. and lower torque engines generally have lower gearing allowing higher rpm.. I know at 65 mph our new Rav4 2.4 is at about 2900 rpm. or was it 1900 rpm? rats.. It was one of the two.. lol.
  • Options
    I would say 20 is good! In heavy traffic you get 10-15, hwy you get 28 say. The average of those is 19-21.5 MPG. If you have a car with a trip computer that shows instantaneous gas milage you would quickly see that 20mph in 2nd gear is much worse MPG than 70mph in 5th gear!
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    With due respect, there's an awful lot of speculation (and thinly-veiled bias) in your post. Arguing a 4-cyl is less reliable because "it has to work harder" ignores many, many variables, and can be logically undermined by the observation that 6- and 8-cylinder engines have more moving parts, and are thereby inherently more prone to failure (statistics of components' MTBF).

An average of 3mpg difference between the two (which I think is reasonable and likely) equates to about $220 a year in additional gas expenses (assuming 15k miles and $2.25/gallon), and this is on top of the roughly $2k up-front difference in cost.

No doubt more power is, all things being equal, more fun. But don't try to justify it to yourself (or spread urban legends) by lumping in theories about better reliability and equal fuel economy.
  • Options
    wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    ...only visual, as I finally saw one in a (closed) dealer showroom....it was a silver LTD. For all who were lamenting the increase in size, it doesn't look all that big. Just barely up to the size of a CRV now, so nothing to panic about. Although smoother-looking overall than the previous gen., it is less distinctive and maybe even a little bland.
    As I need the 3rd row seat, I'd be looking at the V6 Ltd here in Canada (The ONLY version to get a third row, unfortunately) and the only visual difference between the V6 Ltd and the 4cyl Ltd is the discreet V6 badge...I must say that, at least outwardly, the Ltd doesn't look anywhere near like a $36-37,000 vehicle (or almost $39,000 if you want leather & the works, while dropping the 3rd row). Looks more like it should be worth the $32-33K max of the current Rav4, especially with the "low-rent" spare hanging off the back door. The Sienna LE is actually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the V6 Ltd and, while not exactly a screaming bargain, looks far more substantial and expensive. So the jury is still out. Will have to check out the interior plus 3rd row room (which we need only occasionaly but apparently is less, I read, than the Suzuki XL-7, which is just barely acceptable in my experience). Could go with a Sienna LE for virtually the same price and virtually the same fuel economy, though don't really need the bulk of that vehicle) or may still decide to save over 10 grand and go with a Mazda5 (if they'd give it traction control, a passenger armrest, and ipod jack and a 5 or 6 speed automatic, I'd be sold). Of course, there's always the new Mitsubishi Outlander and Hyundai Sante Fe just around the corner. And I wonder what Honda has in store for us with the next CRV.?
  • Options
    You can't just say "An average of 3mpg difference between the two (which I think is reasonable and likely) equates to about $220 a year in additional gas expenses (assuming 15k miles and $2.25/gallon)" because the gas doesn't cost the same for both.

The V6 needs premium to get the fuel economy estimate listed.
    Premium costs more per gallon than regular.
    The gap may be wider than 3 MPG even with premium if you do lots of city driving.
    Avalon drivers often get around 17 mpg in the city and there is no reason to expect an SUV to do better. May not even be able to match the Avalon mileage in the real world.
  • Options
    jarekjarek Member Posts: 24
    In Europe they are getting diesels now. First is 2.2L 4cyl with 136hp, 228lb of torque, 10.8s to 62. Second is turbo version of the first with 177hp, 295lb of torque and 7.2s to 62. Both are around 30% more fuel efficient than gas powered 2.4 or 3.5L engines. But diesels are damn noisy and shaky, need special care during winter, require more often oil changes etc. etc. One may love them but I hate them.

jerr
  • Options
    snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Hmm, I wasn't aware that the V6 required premium gas. If that's the case, then in this fairly typical scenario, the annual difference would be around $370 (assuming $2.25 and $2.45 for the regular/premium prices).
  • Options
    Well somewhere in the RAV4 specs and data from Toyoto it says for both "... engines require premium fuel to get max performance." It is my understanding that the V6 provides the 269HP on 87 octane, down from the previous Avalon 290HP rating which was with premium.
  • Options
    good point..
  • Options
    thjattythjatty Member Posts: 14
    I'm new to this Forum, but I had to put my 2cents in.
    Caveat: I am not a car dealer nor salesman. But I really like the 2006 RAV4. It will be my next "rig".

I've owned a Jeep, buick, VW Foxand Passat, LandCruiser, Honda Pilot and Accord, Chrysler Town & Country, Chevy z-71 suburb and Porsche Boxster (and a couple other cars & trucks). I've had big & small, slow & fast, etc. This Toyota Rav4 is awesome.

I drove the 4cyl other day. Seats are tight, handles well, and i like ergonomics.

PROS: It's not too big, not too small, has so many features or options, price point is great, and interior size REALLY IS comparable to mid size suvs and mid size sedans. plus, option for 3rd row for kids.

CONS: Can't get 3rd row w/leather or leather w/3rd row, no option for nav system (guess I'll use Garmin or TOM TOM).

Truly, this RAV4 oughta be one pocket rocket with the six on the road. 268hp with weight under 3500lbs? heck, this might duke it with the BMWx5 and base Porsche Cayenne!

With the RAV4 I can have an suv, sporty ride, awd, safety features, carry others, carry kids to soccer, and haul booty down the highway. Plus, I can get very good gas mileage.

The Acura RDX coming out is smaller and loaded will be 10K more. This is the auto to buy this year if you need a one does it all vehicle..... :shades:
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    The 6 cyl does not require premium fuel. I'm looking at Toyota specs that clearly state 87 oct.

Next ?
  • Options
    I'm sure 269 horsepower on regular is plenty of power, but the mileage estimates were done using premium.
    Cars optimized for premium generally get lower mpg if you use regular, so at least part of the savings will be lost by additional fuel useage.
  • Options
    era174era174 Member Posts: 67
    the Ltd doesn't look anywhere near like a $36-37,000 vehicle (or almost $39,000 if you want leather & the works, while dropping the 3rd row). Looks more like it should be worth the $32-33K max of the current Rav4

I couldn't agree more. The Canadian prices are way way bloated as well. To get side and curtain airbags, Canadians have to drop the 3rd row (the B package). Yes, that's the only way to get the extra airbags: paying for the highest model with the option and deleting the 3rd row. 2007 Rav4, I hope, will add the extra airbags as standard on all models just like Honda CR-V or even Civic.
  • Options
    No, it does not "require" premium, but premium was used to calculate the horsepower and mileage ratings on the 3.5 engine.
  • Options
    Always good to see someone find the facts here. I still say, you buy the I4 if you want good transportation and to save a few bucks. If you want a little more fun you spend less than 2K more and have more fun. Also, I am sure you will get some of that back on resale.

Still waiting to drive the v6. One dealer in Queens Ny shows that he has them on his website but does not. Just faking it to get calls and orders for April delivery he claims.
  • Options
    Always good to see someone find the facts here. I still say, you buy the I4 if you want good transportation and to save a few bucks. If you want a little more fun you spend less than 2K more and have more fun. Also, I am sure you will get some of that back on resale.

Still waiting to drive the v6. One dealer in Queens Ny shows that he has them on his website but does not. Just faking it to get calls and orders for April delivery he claims.