Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued VI

Comments

• Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I don't know if you have a manual or auto shifter but I think the auto shift lever is great. When in Drive I can rest my hand on it and reach the radio controls. A very nice ergo touch I think (but maybe it was an accident!).
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    you have to overcut the turn into the spot...almost making it seem like you will hit the car to the left (when turning right into the spot)...while doing this and cutting hard at the wheel...you will end up perfect in the center and the whole vehicle will be straight.

when you try to park normal with an extended cab...the truck will be all the way forward...but in the spot an an angle.

takes practice.

- Tim E.Coyote......Super Genius
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    you just put a grille guard on the truck and push those puny cars out of the way! Wish I could get one, but it wouldn't fit in my garage then. Or you just do what I do - never park my truck near any other vehicles. My wife laughs hysterically whenever she sees one of those new volkswagon commercials - the one with the car parking far away, and the one with the guy tackling the shopping cart when its about to hit his car. She says that's me. Darn right it is!
  • Options
    majormorgymajormorgy Member Posts: 30
    i park out in the boonies like that commercial. but i have to laugh at the commercial because they don't show some clown pulling up next to him and parking. now that's what happens in the real world. it's like being out in the boat. anchored, fishing, all alone....then some clown comes bombing right at ya! the ocean (and parking lots) aren't big enough! ;-)
  • Options
    powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    I also park far away from everyone else. It's easy, it's better for the engine (not as much idling or slow moving looking for a spot), it prevents door dings, and the walk is good exercise.

My Goodyear tires on my '98 C/K are wearing very nicely (they're the P265/75-R16's). I've heard from others, though, that they get flats a lot easier than other tires.
    -powerisfun
  • Options
    m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    I believe someone asked how the BFGs are, well, they are pretty good. The only thing bad about them is they dont do as good in the rain as the goodyears or michelins I've had. Turning seems fine, no scares yet, but it is easier to spin out if you are not careful, especially with the 6.0. Also, I have had the old style ATs and the new KOs, and the new ones seem to stick to the street a little better. I have not had them offroad that much, but they seem to not through as many rocks like the old ones.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    My P265 Wilderness A/T is unspectacular, but good at everything. I have 21,000 miles, wearing good. Still have not balanced, but have rotated. I'm either going to put the same ones back on, or maybe try the Bridgestone Uni-T. Maybe the Firestone label also gets Uni-T by default? I've had excellent luck with Eagle GT, GSC on passenger cars, and assume the Wranglers are good, but I know the Wilderness A/Ts are good on mine.

But......The Wilderness A/T I see on the Ford Explorer has the same name, but looks different. These may be completely different tires, molds etc.
  • Options
    crossfire1crossfire1 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Z71 Bill,

I plan on putting some polished aluminum wheels with the 285 70 tires on my new truck, when I get it late summer. Because the wheels will be stripped of their protective coating, I can't run them in the winter time here in Upstate NY. That's why I want the same diameter tire, I'll be switching the factory combo back and forth for the changing seasons.
    Nice picture of your truck mgdvhman. I plan on getting the same color (black) with the fender flares. I was planning on getting 2 tone, black with a pewter bottom, but when I saw how that looked with the flares, I didn't really like it. It's a possibility though, and I have a while to make up my mind.

Chris
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I think I did hear this story before from..now what was his name?
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Story about ordering?

Ryan
  • Options
    dmr3dmr3 Member Posts: 119
    Crossfire wrote:polished aluminum wheels {{clip}}Because the wheels will be
    stripped of their protective coating, I can't run
    them in the winter time here in Upstate NY. -------------------------------------------

I don't understand this..I ordered the polished alum wheels, forged, with our truck..and I live in Upstate NY too (outside of Albany)...why wouldn't they be good here?
  • Options
    I too like the Black pewter combo.....
    ..But there is just something about all Black that just looks soooooo good.

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/LT1.jpg

- Tim
  • Options
    fgilbyfgilby Member Posts: 8
    I don't know why anybody would order the wheel flares on the 1/2 ton models. Do you want it to look like a 3/4 ton?

I saw a Indigo blue Silverado with black wheel flares, what an ugly truck! The flares just totally made the Silverado look ugly!
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    thanks for reminding me...for a moment it was dejavu. what's your opinion on post #515 from fgilby? and no I'm not trying to start anything.

Dean
  • Options
    Dude has no taste whatsoever. I dont even believe he said that. Granted its not beautiful like black on black (yea tim like yours) but add some black nerf bars and itll look great. Everyone has their right to their own opinion it might not be what we like but ill give that to him as long as he doesnt keep talking about it then i might have to say something. I hope everyone thinks the blue with black falres is ugly cause ill be one of the lucky few to have a unique truck ( i doubt this but i can wish).

Ok whats the difference i mean looks of a 1/2 and 3/4 other than the wheels and logos. They look pretty darn similar so why would the flares look better on a 3/4 rather than on a 1/2 i dont get this its like contradicting yourself.

Ryan
  • Options
    ABout the wheels i heard the salt and weather messes the rims up or can. I dont know how much truth there is to this but ive heard some stuff about salt and aluminum wheels.

Ryan
  • Options
    scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    I have the auto trans. First Auto I've had since forever. That being the case I attempt to NOT touch the shift lever while reaching for the heater controls etc. I guess I need to get over this mental block and just use that lever as an armrest! Thanks for the tip.

Also, I guess you all know about hitting the lock button twice on the remote will make your horn chirp?

-scott
  • Options
    Ryan,
    Don't worry about him....get what you want. Being a 2500 owner...I wish the flares would stay off the 1500's to distinguish the 2500's better....but hey..people like them and I'd imagine GM is making a mint on them.

What were people using the blue fluid for??...was it tranny or differential noise? Someone said something about this....and I know I'd heard it here...but can't remember??
    anybody??

- Tim E.Coyote - Super Genius
  • Options
    kantonkanton Member Posts: 142
    Tim-
    The blue fluid is used in the transfer case and is supposed to eliminate "driveline growl."

Kyle
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    will wear off if wheels are not maintained but that clear coat is made to withstand normal use. Get into the mud & bury the wheel you'll definately wear off the protective clear coat & tire jockies changing tires can damage the coating on the edges of the rims which will allow corrosion to work it's way under the clear coat, but otherwise a little rinsing/washing is all that's needed to make them last, that is unless you've got the cash to own 2 sets of wheels for your truck.

Just my opinion & experience with 12 years on my after market aluminum wheels on last truck.

Ray T.
  • Options
    pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Anyone else notice how darned huge that Windshield
    washer resevoir seems to be? Twice, I've had the Low Washer Fluid light come on, and put a whole new jug of "Blu-Goo" into in, without seeing it reach the top! I'm beginning to think I've got a slow leak or something......
  • Options
    of your Silverado brochure explained that they made the washer fluid container BIGGER to hold 1.3 gals of fluid, so your not leaking it it holds more than a gallon of blue goo that's all.

Ray T.
  • Options
    rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    Anyone know why the 2000 owners manual shows 8200 lbs while the the sales brochure shows 8800 lbs for the 2WD, 5.3L, 3.73 combo? Similiar differences on the other combinations also. I don't plan to be towing close to the limit, but just checking.
  • Options
    rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    Anyone know why the 2000 owners manual shows 8200 lbs while the the sales brochure shows 8800 lbs for the 2WD, 5.3L, 3.73 combo? Similiar differences on the other combinations also. I don't plan to be towing close to the limit, but just checking.
  • Options
    dropperdropper Member Posts: 47
    Just bought my Silverado LT on Saturday. My '93 Lumina Z34 was getting a bit long in the tooth and was going to cost $1300+ to keep it going, so I said ba-bye to it. Of course, buying it from the dealer meant 3-doors, which is okay. Additional options included the 3.73, locking diff, towing package and wiring. Oh, and it's pewter with the graphite leather interior (nice contrast). BTW, what exactly does the high capacity air cleaner do(is it for the cab or the engine)? Mine didn't come with it.

Already put 250+ miles on it.

Keith
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    it means your air filter for the engine is extra large. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to ask to have someone do that :)

BTW, don't worry about the three doors. I am perfectly happy with mine. Sure, the four doors would be nice, but so would a lot of things.
  • Options
    I believe the wheel flares should be solely used and put on the Z71 package. I am being serious to me the flares go with offroading. Oh well and yea i bet gm is making $$$ from these especially if you buy em through the parts dept i heard they are expensive very expensive. Dont worry im sticking to my guns LS 1500 Z71 indigo blue/black flares. havent changed my mind in over a month

Ryan
  • Options
    Help me out go here
    Topic
    Maintenance 1001 Goodyear AT/S Tires on 99-00 Silverado
    He is giving me a wk if no one goes here (besides me) he is cancelling it. Anyone want to talk about tires please i am begging u go here. help a brother out!!!

Ryan
  • Options
    Dmr,

If you have aluminum wheels without the protective coating, and you drive through the salted roads, you will get pit marks on the wheels, and all of the rubbing and polishing will not make them look right again.
    Salt reacts with aluminum, I know, it happened to my Corvette. I drove it home after they salted the roads one late Nov, and I didn't wash it off. Horrible suprise the next spring when I took it out to wax it.
    If you bought wheels from the factory or after market, I'm sure it has a protective coating on them. You can remove it to make the wheel shine brighter, but then you can't (shouldn't) use them in the winter.

Chris
  • Options
    Hey Tim,

Nice looking truck! I think you changed my mind about the two tone, now I'm going to stick with all black with the flares.
    How's a reg cab Z71, short (composite) box, LS, with fog lights, and a locker sound? I saved up enough money to get different wheels and tires, and then take them off durring our rough winters here.
    Do you have any more pics of your truck?

Chris
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Comparing both regular and high capacity air filters at the auto show shows that the "high capacity" is a different element in the same housing. The regular housing says it can use either element; the hi capacity says it uses only the larger. So essentially, you're paying $15 for a replacement element.

Richard

PS: Anyone from Chicago? How's the weather? I might be flying out there soon.

Richard
  • Options
    Give it a rest man.....I've had topics froze too...it's not the end of the world!

- Tim
  • Options
    richardmrichardm Member Posts: 7
    rdve80:
    I think the reason that the manuel and sales sheet is different is that GM changed the way they rate their trucks.The old method was driver +passenger then round down to closest 500 lb.The new is driver + passenger round down to closest 100 lb.
  • Options
    Im about 35 min from chicago in indiana. The weather blows. Its sleeting tonight. We have snow on the ground. Supposed to snow this weekend. Bring your winter jacket man.
    Wait a few wks and the autoshow will be here. Cant wait!!!!

Ryan
  • Options
    bud_light_dudebud_light_dude Member Posts: 330
    I apologize if this is a duplicate question here.
    I saw some wheel flares that look identical to the stock ones from GM. They look really good, but I didn't like the fact that the part that rests agains the truck has two way tape to snug it to the truck.

Are the stock ones like this also? Does it hurt the paint? The lower edge has clips that clip over the inside wheel well lip. Should I stay away from these. If so, what type is recommended to get?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Great Pics Tim,

And I love those 8 bolt wheels. Like I said before, I'm going to try and get some after market wheels, I just love being different.
    I live far enough away from you, so I know you won't mind if I borrow some of your customizing tips.
    I am however, not looking forward to keeping the truck clean, black is beautiful, but that is one high maintenance color!

Chris
  • Options
    mbrmbr Member Posts: 10
    I have a 99 Silverado Z71, 1500, extended cab, and the only thing I don't like about it is it's ride height. I am off the main roads regularly and i would like to lift it and put larger tires on it so that I don't have to listen to my skid plates in action. I was wondering if any one has lifted or knows if it is very difficult, and also what kind of lift do you suggest. Thanx.
  • Options
    leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    Really nice stuff on your truck

I remember back not too long ago you were tryin to get your wife to get a Trans Am WS-6 performance package...
    Well one of my best friends just got a 2000 Trans AM with the WS-6 package...DAMN is all I have to say about that car. It is damn near loaded to the max leather power everything except traction control......

I was the second person to drive it... man oh man

If i didnt need a truck that would be the first thing that i would get

that thing would blow the doors wide off a mustang GT or even a cobra.well the cobra would be alittle closer but still...

sorry to get off topic but i was just soooo exciting after driving this car that i couldnt help myself

ok back to trucks...haha
  • Options
    mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    8200lb towing cap was for the 99 year models. 8800 is for the 2000 year models.
  • Options
    yeah...she likes the T/A...kinda.
    The seats are like 60's style buckets and as she said...sitting in a hole. I kinda agree...but who cares when you dump the clutch and hit the gas!!
    Aside from a Vette...I'd take the T/A over any car out there...if I bought a car.
    I Love the exhaust. I also picked up a brochure for a Camaro SS....but that was a no go also. Even priced out a Z71 1500 LT for her...but she says we don't need two trucks.
    I guess she does what she wants and I do what I want...it's her car and she likes Mustangs.
    We already have a Buyer in the spring for her GT Convertable....and she is set on getting a Cobra Convertable...so be it.
    Now all we have to do is get it retrofitted. Ford claimed X amount of HP on Cobras...and I guess they put out like 50 HP less! They had a lawsuit and all Cobras can be taken in to be updated with diff. Ported/polished heads to make them what they are supposed to be I guess?

We shall see

Sorry for car talk in Silverado....sue me!!

Tim E.Coyote - Super Genius
    (Hardheadipus Oedipus)
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    The factory fender flares mount to the fender with barbed fittings going through holes in both the flare and the fender, and to the body with double stick tape.

After seeing how they go on, I doubt the move around enough to wear through the paint, but they probably scratch the paint enough that you would be unhappy if you pulled them off.

Mike L
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I hope you are not in a part of the country where it snows on a regular basis. I wanted to put flares on mine, but was advised by my Bro-in-law who owns and runs a body shop that the salt and sand crap they put on the roads in winter will collect between the flares and body (the stuff you can't wash out during a regular car wash) and will eventually do some permanent damage. No good. He's seen trucks come thru the shop where a evident rust is building up after only a couple of years.

I'm in north WI though, where I think the roads are made of Salt (at least in Winter).

Just a thought.
  • Options
    bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Your 100% correct on this one joelis. I also live in the NE and the dealer even said that I should pass on the flares if I planned on keeping it. Even with the stick tape for the body portion, at the point where the dip/seam is in the door and 1/4 panel there is a spot where there is no tape and a gap for all that great salt and crap to get into. Just a rust spot waiting to happen. Now if we'd move or lived in a warm climate where they didn't get snow and salt put on the roads that would be a different story.
  • Options
    enough i have decided on flares i live in indiana our roads are also made of salt speaking of that its snowing today it sucks. Ok my mom has an 87 blazer factory flares NO NONE whatsoever rust. If you wash it enough (few times a wk during winter) it will last. Try powerwashing it it will get it all off. Im not saying it cant rust but if you take care of it it will last.

Ryan

PS IM still getting flares!!!!!
  • Options
    bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    Ryan, did't realize it was your append they were discussing..

Still Window Shopping I see. Did you see bluebeast's new wheels, now there's a guy, he says he's going to do something and then he does it, no procrastination by him.
  • Options
    storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    Sorry Ryan, but its true. My parents just took their 92 Bravada in to get a little fender bender repaired. It has plastic flares around the wheels and along the bottom. Our body shop guy said the same thing about everything rusting out behing them (in northwest Ohio). He took the wheel flares off and already fixed up some rust stops under there. The rest of the Bravada has shown no other signs of wear. As for trying to keep it clean. It rarely gets driven (church, long trips, and when we get lots of snow on the roads), and if it gets dirty my dad is always cleaning it. During the winter, he even takes it up to his shop and rinses it off with their hot-water pressure washer to get all the salt off. Yet it still is rusting.

Don't get me wrong. I want the fender flares as well, but after hearing that, I'm not as excited about them anymore.

Kevin
  • Options
    bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    Flares.......NEVER, piece of plastic over paint? Why?......don't do it! waste of money and they are ugly.

Bob249, some talk and some act, ryan is a talker and/or hot air blower as we call'em here in Texas.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Well it used to be that flares were put on to give you more tire clearance, and it required new fenders. Now that it's just a plastic piece....
    (Trash talkin' cause no flares on mine...)

So I don't know about the crud collecting or not, but be careful with the caustic car wash detergents and high pressure. You can get corrosion started from that too.

I use detergent as little as possible, always followed by wax. If you keep it waxed, it cleans much easier, without detergent.
  • Options
    Well now that I know my 2500 2wd comes standard with these flares & I have known all along that add on flares will help to encourage rust thru entrapment of sand/silt/salt I am more inclined to remove them when I finally get this damn truck, I only wish they were black so I could sell them to Ryan (just messin w/ya Ryan, gotta admit, this has got ya thinkin now though don't it?) Indigo Blue for my truck which comes w/matching color flares.

As if we alldon't realize, anytime you drill it, stick it, poke it or rub it you open yourself up to giving rust a chance. When I added my bug guard & mud flaps to last truck I coated screw & screwhole w/some Ziebart I had in gallon jug to help ward it off. After 12 years the body had rot above rear fender wells & blistering paint from inside out rust on lower bottom portion of cab on extended cab evident but no rust from where I had added those items. So much for their galvanized panels they (GM) boasted about in their brochures. But 12 years is a long time to own a truck here in Northeast & not expecting any rust.

Add on Flares SUCK if they are not part of original body panel mold because of that reason.

Just my opinion.

Ray T.
  • Options
    dropperdropper Member Posts: 47
    Well, as I pulled into work today, I got my first Fuel Low light. My question is, with the 26 gal. tank, about how much fuel do I have left? I have read (but don't recall exactly) that it is a significant ammount. Also, what grade of gas are most of you using?

Thanks,
    Keith
This discussion has been closed.