Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued VI

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Let me apologize i made a generalization or stereotype. Im sorry but a few yrs ago in hs we (me and a few friends) did a survey i guess yopu can say. ONE count em ONE guy in our senior class was in an accident the whole year. I seriously cant tell you how many girls were. A few girls went through like 3 brand new caviliers each. I do apologize but seriously women fight for same wages and stuff like guys right well then why is their insurance lower??? I think its a very good question. I really thing it should be the same. It should depend on age and driving record. LEt me reform the insurance business.

DMR no tickets for me clean spotless driving record as of 1-28-00. (Knock on wood)
    Cheapest insurance: I got like 5 quotes and state farm was the cheapest at close to $2300. And about all this suing and stuff i dont know but im not worried about that thats all people care about now sue u sue u sue u. F all that who cares u slip and fall and its the businesses fault. opps sorry got me going again ill stop talking now my quarter has run out. Hurry up add another one to me

Again im sorry DMR

Ryan
  • Options
    majormorgymajormorgy Member Posts: 30
    well i went to the dealer this morning and everything is hunky-dory.the order is in and been accepted and the build date is week of Feb. 28th. with delivery 1st or 2nd week in march. someone earlier said 3-4 weeks ;-) don't believe it. everyone here has waited at least 8 weeks. it will be about 10 weeks for me.he also told me that the alocation for last month was 600. Guess it's a real big seller. Wish I could get a 3.9 loan. no incentives for the 2500. ended up with 2% over invoice and ordered the chevy bedliner under rail as i have to buy ladder racks that mount on the rails. i didn't tell you that i've been using my GM card for about 5 yrs. now and will be getting back about $2900.00. not bad huh? my wife use to laugh at me when i would tell her that i was earning money toward a new truck. It's a nice "i told you so". She's happy now. With it you can earn a maximum of $500 a year. I think i earn that just on xmas presents! anyway. i figure i'm gonna use a card anyway so i may as well get something back.
  • Options
    : ICC lights
    i dating myself. yes, you're right. ICC lights are the amber lights on the roof. (make you look like a big rig) ;-)
    used to be they were required if you transported goods over state lines. don't know what the regs. are now. just seems funny that chevy's top of the line truck doesn't offer them. how can that be? also it's a given now that the c/k's are not going to be made next year.
  • Options
    storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    Like I said before, all hope is not lost if you must have the "ICC" lights. I saw them on the new Heavy Duty trucks that will be available in the fall to replace the C/K trucks. Don't know if that's what your interested in though. If you want to see them, I could hunt up some links that I've seen pictures on before. Let me know.

Kevin
  • Options
    gonna do without them for now. order is in and been accepted. build date 2/28. i guess i'll aftermarket them if i want. thanks.
  • Options
    afs11afs11 Member Posts: 86
    Sorry for re-posting, but I would like to know if anyone has the GM fibreglass stepboards (p/n #10953583). How strong are they??? Are you happy with these stepboards or do you wish you had the tube steps???

Thank you,
    AFS

p.s. Ryanbab, I saw a Indigo Blue (with black wheel flares) Sierra SLE 4WD X/C (4dr) today. It really looked in the sunshine.
  • Options
    Every sunday when i go to work. Its an SLT GMC 1500 Z71 looks very nice but i think the chevy looks better myself. i dont like the grill in the gmc.

AFS what color are u getting?

Ryan
  • Options
    swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    is it car insurance? If it is why should it matter who drives it. Is it people insurance? They why should it matter what type of car you have. And no, just because you've had a speeding ticket does not mean your more likely to get in a accident. I don't care what they say...
  • Options
    thank your lucky stars you don't live in Massachusetts! an arm and a leg plus they get you on the "step system". any ticket and you get penalized with higher rates plus it takes 5 yrs. to work it off! i know of people who have committed violent crimes and done less time. plus if you own multi cars the person with the highest rate is assigned the most expensive vehicle whether or not they drive it. don't get me started on insurance! they're the biggest crooks since lawyers were invented. making money hand over fist. Who's on our side? the insurance commisioner is put in by the insurance companies. isn't that a conflict of interest? kinda like policing your own. my son pays $2400 a year for a [non-permissible content removed] box 87 olds. i pay $1000 for a 94 conversion van. :-(
    ok,,,,calm down,,,,,,i'm alright,,,,,i'm getting off my soap box now,,,,, ;-)
  • Options
    wtkingwtking Member Posts: 43
    I'm seeing alot of posts from people waiting for 2500's. I'm in the same boat. I had originally ordered a 2500 4x4 Ext. Cab LT 3-door, but GM wouldn't take the order, I was told because the seats, and wheels, standard on LT were on constraint. So I pulled a Ryan and switched to an LS loaded. Didn't like LT seats anyway. Order was accepted as an LS, but no build date. Ordered 12/30/99.

What are others experiencing?

Hey Tim, looked at your site. Do you ever get much stuff with a NASCAR theme? Just curious!!

-Todd
  • Options
    dmr3dmr3 Member Posts: 119
    Our original order for our 2500 was placed Sept 9, and truck came in Dec 20..but dealer hiked up the cost (even with a contract..not worth fighting for, since we no longer want to do business with them). This truck we are waiting on, was ordered a couple days past Christmas, and we have an order number, with no build date as of Friday. We bought a 2 WD LS, ext, trailer pack, alum wheels, 6 way power seats (didn't want leather, so we passed on the LT), V6, HD susp, Lock dif, sliding rear window, deep tinted glass, camper mirrors, upgraded tires.
  • Options
    clarkmcbrayerclarkmcbrayer Member Posts: 22
    Why step up to trailer package, HD suspension and then get the V6? Will it tow what you need to tow?
  • Options
    clarkmcbrayerclarkmcbrayer Member Posts: 22
    Glad to see it all worked out well. What kind of financing can you get? What I did was go through Bankrate.com. ELOAN, through Bank of America had the best rate at 7.29%. I was approved and had a check in my hands in less than 24 hours. You do not have to use it. After that, I spoke with the dealership, and they beat the rate. May be worth checking into.
  • Options
    2000ryan2000ryan Member Posts: 47
    DMR3, I am pretty sure a 2500 is available with V8's only. 5300 or 6000. other than that, sounds alot like my truck, just got my order number on Friday this week.
  • Options
    afs93afs93 Member Posts: 30
    The 2500 comes standard with the 5.3 V8.

Ryanbab,

I was going to get the Black but it's very hard to keep clean. I selected the Pewter. I kind of wish now I selected the Med. Grey & Pewter two-tone. Ryan, I have seen a lot of Silverado's with this color combination (Pewter wheel flares also) & the truck looks really sharp!

AFS
  • Options
    dmr3dmr3 Member Posts: 119
    Clark asked :Why step up to trailer package, HD suspension and
    then get the V6? Will it tow what you need to tow?
    -----------------------
    Sorry, meant the vortec 6,000 engine, not a V6..they have it abbreviated as a V6 meaning Vortec 6,000. {{Blush}}
    We will be towing a 30 foot trailer (also being ordered), so we wouldn't do it with a V6.
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I got the towing package to get the trans cooler and a pre-installed hitch. My big towing needs?

A bike carrier.

Don't laugh.

Richard
  • Options
    U might need more than the transcooler. Be careful dont over load the engine haha sorry had to give u some trouble.

Ryan
  • Options
    AFS, Saw your post about colors. My 2500 will be pewter with med. gray on the bottom. I have seen a few trucks like that, really sharp if you ask me!
  • Options
    i ordered the heated chrome outside mirrors. Are those power or manual controlled?

Kyle, can you tell us about the ways you can set up the door locks and headlights?? i think you said those are programable? thanks
  • Options
    IN LS And LT are power dont know about the base

Ryan
  • Options
    doudisdoudis Member Posts: 45
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I've posted here in the past but mostly I just like to read. Anyway here's what I got: 2000 GMC Sierra SLT 1500, 5.3L 3.73 Locker, Leather,Tinted windows, Best Stereo, Better Air filter etc. Sportside. How is it .....hmmmmm PERFECT!!! I love her, she the most beautiful thing I've ever owned. I ordered on Oct. 4 so it was a long wait but I really wanted a four door. Hated to do it but with the 12 miles that were on the od I took her up to 78 mph using the cruise 1 mph at a time. This truck is absoulutly SOLID with not even the slightest hint of shimmy or shake or vibration. Only small annoyance I've found is the drivers seatback has about a 1/2", feels like spring loaded, give. It will kinda push forward when I'm stopping. Then lean back when I accelarate. Any one else experience this. BTW the passangers seat is tight. These are the full feature captains. It sure is gonna be hard to keep this puppy in the low to mid 50's for 500 miles or so. You can just feel this baby wanting to roar. Paid $25770 using GMO and then took another $500 of with the loyalty coupon. Built on 1/13/00 delivered on 1/28/00 drove home today. Not positive were it was built as the order sheet said Wentzville and the window sticker said Oshawa, Canada.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I have the Busch Nascar tap...and if you click the links at the top or bottom....
    or this....http://www.beerlights.com/
    it takes you to the main pages where some nascar stuff is. Check the miller and MGD section for some signs
    The site belongs to a bud of mine who sells the same stuff. We are working together to build the site.
    I have some signs mixed in with his...and I control the tap section...which is my specialty. It will be getting about 600 more in a few months.

Thanks for looking

- TIM
  • Options
    wilmacwilmac Member Posts: 27
    Hello Everyone. I would like input from anyone concerning the following: I have a 99 Z-71 Silverado with 5.3 engine which I purchase Jan of 99 at 28k miles when temp got colder not that cold N. W. Fl usually high 20s 0r low 30s. I get start up noise while starting after sitting overnight. I was using 5-w30 Mobil 1. I do not get this with two other vehicles running heaver weights 10-w30 and 15w50 at same temps. It did not do this last winter. I tried 0-w30 Mobil 1 and it improved don't have the problem when in the 40s truck currently has 33k miles on it. Thoughts or suggestions. Thanks Wilson
  • Options
    scottayscottay Member Posts: 91
    The door locks set at 15mph. Off my memory you can make drivers unlock only, both doors unlock, niether door lock, various conbinations. With the remote, one push drivers unlocks, two pushes both unlock.

Anyone else go with theory you should break it in the way you will drive it? Why keep it below 55mph if you intend to be doing 80? I think I will vary the speeds and not over-rev, RPMs being a better gauge than MPH.
    I understand they get some hrs on the engine @ the factory anyhow.

_scott
  • Options
    >in the low to mid 50s<

You haven't had to do that since ... well, since before I was born, if ever. Even my '67 Camaro owners manual says that there is no formal break-in period required, jut avoid fast starts and fast stops. If you compare RPMs now vs. then, 60 MPH on my Camaro is about 2500; the Silverado at 60 MPH is about 1700. Somehow I doubt going over 1700 RPM (or for that matter 2500) will do any damage. I would venture to guess that keeping it at such a low speed is actually a BAD way to break in an engine. Where did this misinformation come from and why is it still around? It is just plain wrong.

Avoid fast starts, fast stops, and vary the engine speed periodically while driving on the freeway. Other than that, drive it like normal.

By the way, my original '67 Camaro (it was stolen in 1987, the one I have now is a replacement) was originally bought by my dad. He broke it in by driving it 90 MPH to Denver from Los Angeles. Engine went 180,000 miles before we decided to rebuild it; never did use any oil.

Richard
  • Options
    You have to change your profile now that you've taken delivery of the Siera.

Richard
  • Options
    epoeepoe Member Posts: 56
    Break in is probably there, if for anything, to protect the mfgrs because if anything goes wrong during this period -- it's under warranty. ;)
  • Options
    >>Where did this misinformation come from and
    why is it still around? It is just plain wrong.<<

Its in the owners manual...no towing till after 500 miles also.
  • Options
    Your right its in my dads new blazer's manual. No towing, using the cruise control, fast starts, or going over 55mph the first 500 mls to condition the engine. ive heard by many mechanics that if something is gonna go wrong with the engie it will happen within the first few months anyways.

Do whatever u want

Ryan
  • Options
    I will look into the various loan options. thanks for the info. Still hopeing for a 3.9% ;-)
    hey, i can dream can't i?
  • Options
    Interesting. My S-10 didn't say that, nor did my Camaro. However, the engine revs higher than it does at 55 mph every time you drive normally (from a stop) due to the shift patterns, so I'd say it's bull. 55 would be different RPMs for the various axle ratios, too ... I guess the 4.11 gears should not go over 45 until the truck is fully broken in, just to be safe.

Do what you want, but you'll piss off everyone on the freeway driving 55. I didn't do it. Maybe that's why I've had no problems (vibration, etc.)

Richard
  • Options
    A quick story. Labor day weekend drove about 2 hrs to go fishing in my dads new blazer. Went 55 mph the whole way didnt think i could do it. Everyone i mean everyone passed me i passed not a single car. I could have blown anyone off the road (4.3 V-6 still powerful) i dont think when the speed limit is 65 mph that 55 is safe. At least do the speed limit.

Ryan
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Do most ppl know the 2000 trucks have hour meters for the motor? I own a 2000 Silverado. Can not say for the 99's or earlier.

Engine off and with your keys in your left hand (out of the ignition) push the trip meter button and hold it. The hours will appear in about 3 seconds.
  • Options
    gwyatt1gwyatt1 Member Posts: 22
    I took your advice and called the dealership in
    Salida, and I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I
    couldn't believe it. I didn't have to even say
    anything. He asked what I wanted and after I told
    him he gave me the deal of a lifetime. Thanks
    for the info.
  • Options
    The 99's have em too
  • Options
    This is my first brand new truck/car/whatever so this break in stuff is all new to me. I got the information from the manual so It is GMC making this recommendation. Do I think it is a good idea? Well it cant hurt and for me it is better to be safe then sorry. I also plan on changing the oil at 300 miles. Do you think that is too soon? I just want to get those metal shavings out of there as soon as possible. Well Im going to test the trucks headlights. I haven't driver her at night yet. Just need an excuse to go for a cruise. Have a good night.
  • Options
    crossfire1crossfire1 Member Posts: 33
    Sorry I didn't read all of the posts gang, but does anybody know if the 01 models are going to have the lights on top of the cab? Also, is there a way to manualy operate the headlights? I plan on purchasing an 01 model, and I'm in the research phase. I've looked at the Dodges, (wouldn't own a Ford)but I know I'm going to get a Silverado. Thanks...

Chris
  • Options
    m1685m1685 Member Posts: 71
    You can go to www.truckautoaccessories.com and find a switch that turns off the auto lights, if that is what you are talking about. It is about $100 with shipping and handling.
  • Options
    hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Chris, seems like the big 3 have deleted that feature from the 1/2 ton trucks in the past year. You have to step up to the 3/4 ton to get them now or go with a after market hood visor with the lights. Its a bummer but the manufacturer rules. Thats 1 of the reasons I didn't buy another Ram. If I couldn't get them on factory order in a 1/2 ton, Chevy has the best bang for the buck. Just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    Thanks Hogboy, and M1685. I certainly won't be putting a visor on the cab, I think it makes the truck look like it should be going in the other direction. I guess I'm just used to watching drag racing events, and a visor looks like a spoiler on the back of the race cars.
    I do wonder why the GM's don't put a fender liner in the inner fender of the bed. My friend's Dodge 4X4 has this, and I think that keeps a lot of corrosive material out from under the rear.
    Does anyone know anything about the new composite beds?
  • Options
    >>I do wonder why the GM's don't put a fender liner in the inner fender of the bed.<<

Wouldnt ya know it? While showing off my new truck my Dodge driving Bro-in-Law spots the only flaw in the truck! I told him it was a new "flow thru" design so the crud couldnt stick to a liner, better MPG too.

-scott
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    I waited till 500 miles, and then put in Mobil 1.
  • Options
    I waited till 500 miles, and then put in Mobil 1.
  • Options
    didn't meant to repost.
  • Options
    where did you find out about the factory oil? I've never heard about that before. I've always thought they probably just put in whatever they got cheapest.
  • Options
    I don't know Scottay, I think I'd rather have the crud stick to a liner, than to the components under the truck. Also, the liner looks better. They have a "half" liner on the sportsides, and that maybe because of the shape of the fender, but I don't know. I live in Upstate NY, and the roads this time of year have some of everything on them. I'll want something more than "Hot Wax" to protect the under body.

Chris
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    2000ryan and crossfire:
    yes, the door locks and headlights are now "programmable". the locks you can program 4 different ways (and they'll stay that way until you change them again).
    1. all lock at 15 mph and unlock when you put it in park
    2. all lock at 15 mph and only driver's unlocks when you put it in park
    3. all lock at 15 mph and don't unlock until you push the "unlock" button
    4. none lock or unlock automatically

the headlights you can't "permanently program". they change back each time you turn the vehicle off and then back on. what you have to do is push the dome override button 4 times within 6 seconds. when you do this your daytime running lights will turn off as will the "automatic" feature for your headlights. the automatic headlights come on when the light sensor in the vehicle determines it's getting "dark". if you turn the auto-headlights off, you can then control them manually just like you would in a normal car.
    i've not changed my locks...they're easy to get used to. as for my headlights, the only time i can see turning them off the "auto" function is if i was going onto a military post with a sentry at the gate after nightfall. they get a little fired up if you kill their night-vision. i know some folks have other considerations, but i think the majority of folks will find both functions pretty helpful and easy to get used to. [non-permissible content removed], all they gotta do now is make the wipers come on if the vehicle starts getting wet...

kyle
  • Options
    rbrickrbrick Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone know what brand tires are used for each size, etc? I ordered the black side wall 265s. I have noticed that the white letter 265's are Firestones. Does anyone have the BSWs? I did call GM customer service and ask. They said they would probably be Goodyear or Uniroyal. Seemed like their best "guess" to me.

Rob
  • Options
    Talked to the service manager about the play in my seat back and he said that he will have to check with GM. He said it looks like it is the motor. I also asked him when I should do the first oil change, he said 3000 miles. I'm still not sure when I'll do it but it will be before 3000 miles as I'm really worried about any metal shavings in the oil. For post 446 my P255/70R16's are BSW Generals.
This discussion has been closed.