Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda5 Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• I'm very interested in getting a M5 in the next month or so, but the only thing that is concerning me is getting my I-pod connected. I read a few messages from last year regarding this, but I was wondering if there are any new products specifically designed for the M5. With any other car, I would just get an aftermarket headunit with hookups, but from looking at pictures of the M5 dash it looks like getting a new headunit is almost impossible. Any suggestions?
  • kev604kev604 Posts: 30
    Here's a heads up for you, when I purchased my M5 the dealer also tried to sell me rust proofing in a package with extra sound deadening, some sort of paint protection and scotchgard. Wanted CDN$500. They were really working hard to sell me this, alot harder then actually selling the vehicle. Commission must be pretty good if you buy one of these things. I quickly DECLINED. The vehicles are already rust proof and sound deaden by the manufacturer, if you want to give the paint extra protection wax it a few extra times yourself, if you want to give the seats an extra coat of scotchgard buy a bottle at wal-mart for $5.99 and spray as much on as you like. I guess what I'm trying to say is a quality manufacturer like Mazda give very close attention to detail, don't tell me your local dealership can do better job then Mazda has already done.
    Also the dealership will try to sell you extended warranty coverage. Usually its an extra 3 years bumper to bumper coverage. You can actually buy the same insurance from your local insurance agent for half the price or less.
    As far as tinting the windows my dealer offered to tint them for free but I have no intention of tinting mine.
  • All class I-II hitches are the smaller 1-1/4" size, though you can get an adapter to allow installation of your 2" hitch rack. Most of the sites which carry the hitches also carry the adaptors. It will extend the setup about 10" or so and not look very attractive, but it'll work.

I doubt you will have much luck trying to find a 2" receiver hitch which is made for the MZ5, though if you're handy you could probably find one for another car and fudge it onto yours. The chassis isn't really made to handle class III duty, which is what all 2" receivers are. Good luck.
  • kw_dakw_da Posts: 76
    Hi,

Thanks for the information. May be the 07 Mazda5s will have factory approved trailer capability.

David
  • I bought it from etrailer.com. It has the smaller receiver. I have the adapter, but be advised that it does not quite fit. It hits the bumper before the holes line up. The adapter brand is Curt so maybe another brand would work.

My bike rack had a 2" fitting but I was able to take the rack off of it and mount it on a smaller 1.25 fitting for the hitch.
  • wmiiiwmiii Posts: 10
    Has anybody installed an aftermarket cold air intake system. I have considered it but want to know if anybody has already done it and were the results worth it. Absolutely love the car and we are planning a trip from Texas to Disneyworld the end of May. Will be installing twin headrest video for the kids before we go. :D
  • Has anyone been able to come up with a dealer or alternate provider to get access to the Euro Rails?
  • afticaaftica Posts: 14
    After searching since getting our Mazda 5 in August, I have exhausted all possibility of getting the euro rails. Bottom line too expensive to order from Europe at least $1000.00 US, plus Mazda Canada looked into it and the understructure and attachmnent points are different. Just ordered this item, again after long search, and should have it early next week. I will take some pictures once it's installed. http://www.toplinemfg.com/html/bk-maggierack.html
  • I was wondering where others are storing the cover when using the 3rd row? I would love to not have to put it in the garage.
  • Damn, that's a bold move, drilling holes in your own car. Good luck to you, make sure the seals actually do their jobs. I'd like to see pictures when you're done, but I like the idea of a rack you can apply and remove at will. Installing the "Maggie" rack means it will always stay on, regardless of how you feel about it. Make sure you're sure about it before you drill those holes in your roof! :surprise:
  • I'm also interested in such an install. Any descriptions/pictures of the install would be great as well. Where you got it, how much it cost, whether it was a total pain or a breeze to install, etc. Perhaps when combined with a new exhaust it would give you a bit more power?
  • Very bold. Good luck to you. I'm not so brave, but thanks for the update. I think the biggest issue is the mounting points are different, so far to costly to retrofit. Thanks again.
  • kev604kev604 Posts: 30
    You can store it under the second row seats. Apparently it just fits under there, I've never tried it but thats what the instructions that came with the box tell's you to do. ;)
  • thanks, I did not get the manual with it.

Susan
  • wmiiiwmiii Posts: 10
    I have been able to find out the actual part numbers from a dealer in London.

RACK(R),ROOF CC5151T10C
    RACK(L),ROOF CC5151T20C
    BRACKET(R), ROOF RACK CC5151U30
    BRACKET(L), ROOF RACK CC5151U40
    BRACKET, ROOF RACK CC5151U90 X2
    NUT 9YB040604A X2
    NUT 9YB120603 X2

I do not have any idea what the cost to get them here is gong to be. I am letting my local dealer do the leg work from here and see if it is possible to install on a U.S. Version.

On the subject of aftermarket intake systems you can actually see an install on the 5 at www.cosmoracing.com and click on 'Air Intake Systems' and then 'Short Ram System'. That will then take you to the system for the 5. It appears to be a simple install and not badly priced. If it increases HP & MPG by even close to what they claim it would be worth the cost. :)
  • Good research on the roof rack. Please let us know what you find out on costs and ability to upgrade. Very interested in what you find out.
  • did you try to store it? i have no idea even with the diagram - the dealer could not do it either :mad:
  • rlyonrlyon Posts: 57
    There's AuxMod. It plugs into the back of the HU in the area for casette. It gives you a stereo mini out for the iPod. I'm on the waiting list for it, but that's the best option right now, tho I'm not sure if that charges the iPod (so you'd need a charger line also)

As for teh HU, someone actually makes the plastic enclosure and you can get it with a big cutout for installing a 4" (I think) after market HU. Just search the web, I cam across it at some Mazda forum.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,904
    We'll talk anything and everything Mazda, and anything else that comes up, including CarSpace!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• afticaaftica Posts: 14
    I also got part #s from a Mazda UK dealer. Cost considerations and questionable fit with NA vehicle seem to be the issue from my perspective. Actually more fit than cost, if I knew they would fit I might try to get them sent over. Does anyone have more concise info on what it would take to make the Euro rails fit the NA vehicle? See more threads on this topic at http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2304902#post2304902
  • Is AuxMod the only option? Is anything else available now?

Syflex has had AuxMod backordered for quite a while due to a connector availability problem. There is still no guarantee that it will be available in the next month or so, and I would like to get something earlier...
  • We recently took our 5 sport to the Mtn, the car came home COVERED in mud. I expect a little mud but the entire back and and sides were covered. I wondered if the slash guards would help?

Any ideas?

Thanks
  • wusterwuster Posts: 153
    I have noticed on our touring that the backend gets covered with road grim and is the first part of the car that gets dirty.

I have also noticed that while driving in the rain, I can see water drops strike the rear window. Which makes me think it's an aerodynamic issue.

I suspect that splash guards would help (especially on the back), but Mazda doesn't make any splash guards for the touring. So I'm screwed. :cry:
    The screws don't line up so you'd have to screw into the 5's roof and the rack would be permanent. I'm hoping Mazda makes a US version of the euro rails. Maybe we should all email them and ask about that? And upgrades for day time running lights, variable wipers, leather, Bose stereo, iPod connectivity.....
    I think, (I Think) someone got the guards and simply cut out the section of the side skirts to fit the touring model. It's just plastic.
    Ah, here it is. This guy picked up Premacy 5 guards and trimmed them for his sport model. So, I assume they could be trimmed for the touring also. They are black, not sure what additional colors are available.

http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/mudguards.html
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,904
    It's Tuesday, so it's time for our Mazda chat session again! Stop in tonight and we'll talk, Mazda, CarSpace, and anything else automotive (and some not so automotive stuff) that comes up!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

Meet your fellow owners and discuss your vehicles in our Owners Clubs

• Does anybody know who make the 6 disc CD player for the 5-GT. I noticed that Circuit City and Best Buy have Sirius Sat. receivers similar to the Mazda upgrade, but specific to JVC, Pioneer and/or Panasonic players for about $100. Much cheaper than the dealer option and if I knew the manufacturer is should fit nicely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also has anyone had the DVD player installed?
  • wusterwuster Posts: 153
    pagetuner has a sport, so it's a minor trimming to get the splash guard to fit. Actually, according to some of the online Mazda parts dealers, Mazda makes a front splash gard for the sport. But because of the extra side sill extension on the touring, the sport splash guard would not fit. I had the same problem with my Mazda3 hatch. :cry:

Now I did see a link to a european mazda part supplier that sold a rear splash guard, that I think may fit my touring. :)
  • b_x20852b_x20852 Posts: 12
    In case anyone is interested AuxMod Basic is available again. I have just ordered mine!