Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Cadillac CTS Lease Questions

Comments

• asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    Still must decide between three DIFFERENT 2008 cars -- all that I like Lexus GS350, Cadillac CTS (with blue tooth added, giving me separate screen), or Infiniti G35. Then, must decide whether to buy or lease. Incidentally, Lexus has best mileage, but Cadillac uses regular gas. I currently have BMW 530i expiring lease which, with Edmunds help, I had leased for net MF, and much less, with multiple security deposits.
    Anyway, for GS350, G35, and CTS, could you please provide:
    (1) Target deal relative to invoice+destination (and any rebate)
    (2) If buy, available finance rates
    (3) If lease, money factor or interest for 24mo, 36 mo for 12K, 15K annually
    Any better MF or interest rate for multiple security deposits?
    Thank you for this information. I'll also put on other forums, in case you guys see that first.
    Thank you!
  • nacho2nacho2 Member Posts: 82
    The rep from Cadillac called me and told me that my car has arrived. My question is do you thing that the lease rates will drop in April? Do you think it is worth waiting till April to contract my new car. Because if I go this Saturday-March 29th to contract the car my lease rate is 6.1%, is it worth it? Thanks in advance.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi saturn9. General Motors' lease rate and residual value for the 2008 Cadillac CTS are the same across the country. If two dealerships that are 20 miles apart are quoting you different residual values for identical leases, then one is wrong. I can't calculate a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in without knowing both its selling price and full MSRP, but I can tell you that if you are getting your car at dealer invoice then you are getting a very good deal. I don't know if you are a current GM owner or lessee, but if you are you are in luck because GM just introduced a $500 loyalty incentive on 2008 CTS leases.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi again saturn9. I see that you mentioned that you are being charged a lease rate of 7.1% on the Cadillac CTS that you want to lease. GMAC's current base rate for this car is only 6.1%. The dealer that you are working with may be trying to mark your car's rate up to add additional profit to your deal. Have sure that they use the 6.1% rate to calculate your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi tmasjr. If I was in the market for a CTS I absolutely would tell the dealer that I was going to walk away from the deal if they don't use the base lease rate. There are tons of GM dealers out there. You shouldn't have much trouble finding one that is willing to let you use the supplier purchase program and the 6.1% rate, especially given how slow auto sales have been lately.

Let's see what the difference in lease payment would be between the jacked up 7.1% rate and the base 6.1% rate. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2008 Cadillac CTS that has an MSRP of $42,430 and a selling price of $39,370 through GMAC right now for 39 months with 10,000 miles per year using the 6.1% rate, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $493. Using the 7.1% rate the payment for an otherwise identical lease rises to around $520. So the higher rate is costing you approximately $27 per month.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi asteinberg. Given the current depressed state of the auto industry in the U.S. right now, if I was in the market for a Cadillac CTS in an area that has a decent level of competition I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over dealer invoice. GM introduced a new loyalty cash incentive on the CTS for current owners of GM vehicles this month, but I am not aware of any conquest cash offers on it right now. GM has offered this sort of incentive on the CTS in the past, so make sure to check with your dealer to find out if there is one.

If you choose to finance your car through GMAC, you can do so at 1.9% for 3 years, 2.9% for 4 years, 3.9% for 5 years, or 4.9% for 6 years. If you decide to lease, you will have to use GMAC's base lease rate of 6.1%. I do not believe that GMAC offers a multiple security deposit program like a number of the European manufacturers do.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi asteinberg. Please see my previous post for answers to your questions. Thanks and good luck in your quest for a new car.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi nacho2. GMAC's April lease program for the Cadillac CTS is exactly the same as its March program was. The only new incentive that General Motors introduced on the 2008 Cadillac CTS is an owner loyalty offer that provides $1,000 on purchases and $500 on leases of this car to current owners and lessees of GM vehicles.

Car_man
    Host
  • spike1282spike1282 Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

Can you post current residual values for the CTS? I am interested in a 27, 26, and 39 month lease terms at 10k miles a year. I searched through past threads and could not find this information.

Thanks!
    -Spike
  • tmasjrtmasjr Member Posts: 30
    If they want $1500 for first month and plates, fees, etc.

Is this still a good deal?
  • pellepelle_10pellepelle_10 Member Posts: 6
    Car_man..are you sure because I've noticed that the Invoice cost of the Cadillac CTS has jumped up $500. The previous deal was a base price on the base end model CTS at $33,490 and this month the base price has jumped up to $33,990. When I was about to purchase my vehicle the dealer quoted me the lower price and when he tried to order the car he stated that the pricing has changed for some wierd reason. I'm wondering if this lease offer is due to the change in pricing of the car. If you have any links on the GM owner loyalty offer I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Back in January GM had price increases of $500-$1000 on just about every model due to increased steel, energy, material, etc. costs.
    Much appreciated. Does this apply to the change in cost from March to April? This just recently changed.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    As far as I know, the cost of cars did not increase between those produced from March - April.

For cars that were already produced before January and on dealer lots, the invoice price did not change. Perhaps what happened is that the dealer was assuming you were going to buy a car already in stock that was produced before January, or did not pay close attention and quoted a newly ordered car based off of the pre-January cost.
    This was actually changed on both Edmunds.com and on the Cadillac website.

The newly advertised lease special displays $33,990. Last month the add showed $33,490 for the same vehicle.

Invoice prices for the bast model Cadillac Automatic was $32,440 on Edmunds just this past month. Now the new price is $32,908. There has been an increase of $500 on the dealer website and an increase of $468 on Edmunds.com. This is all from March until now on the same vehicle.
  • ct1211ct1211 Member Posts: 56
    Hi car_man, I know your busy but might you be able to supply me with the April Residuals and money factors for the Caddy CTS?? I know they use an interest rate not a money factor. For some reason this seems like a hard thing to find even checked leasecompare website. I am looking at 24 & 36 month @ 15K miles per year!! Thanks so much!!!

Craig ;)
  • ct1211ct1211 Member Posts: 56
    I'm looking at leasing a CTS Direct injection but finding lease numbers on this car seems impossible. Assuming the money factor is 6.1% Does anyone no the residuals for 24 months with 15K miles?

Thanks!!
    Hi Spike. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 27 month lease of a 2008 Cadillac CTS with 10,000 miles per year are 6.1% and 72%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease ate 6.1% and 64%. The 39 month numbers are 6.1% and 63%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey Craig. GMAC's current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Cadillac CTS with 15,000 miles per year are 6.1% and 69%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 6.1% and 59%. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $500 owner loyalty / conquest cash promotion that is available on it right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • lsleeleelsleelee Member Posts: 14
    Car man, in post #274 you list the 36mo/15K numbers as 59% and 6.1% and in post #273 you list the 36mo/10K numbers as 64% and 6.1%. Usually the difference between 10K and 15K residuals is 3%, not 5%.

Was one of these posts a typo? Was the earlier post written based on the April program before the May program came out? Are both correct?

Also another question, if you could : I hate how GMAC quotes lease rates in interest rate instead of money factor. 6.1% equates to 0.00254, right? The further 1% that the dealership is allowed to mark that up equates to 0.00042? Alternately, could you provide me with a formula for calculating a lease using % rather than MF?
  • cadillacmanazcadillacmanaz Member Posts: 11
    May CTS residuals are 24m=69 , 30m=64 , 36m=59 , 48m=50. Money Factor is 6.1% or .002984.

I dont have the formula to use a percentage but take the percentage and divide it by 2044 to get the money factor.
  • gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    div by 2400 to get the %
    multiply by 2400 to get the MF
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Other way around, I think...

Multiply the MF by 2400 to get the %
    Divide the % by 2400 to get the MF

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

ROFL. You're right kyfdx. I think I was on crack that day. LOL
  • pokeyraipokeyrai Member Posts: 3
    Well, after a quick test drive, I'm in love with the CTS. I am frustrated though with the lease dollar amount the dealer gave me today vs the calculations I've done at home.

I am working under the assumption that the residual for a 24 month/15k mile lease is 69% with an interest rate of 6.1% (MF 0.00254).

The MSRP of the car is $50,285
    My GMS (thank you Mom and Dad) price is $44,259.23

My tax rate is 5.5%

The dealer is quoting me $700 per month with tax and my calculations have me at $631.90. I could be missing a fee or two, but not by that much.

Am I screwed up?

Any help would be appreciated
  • gregctsgregcts Member Posts: 1
    Can you get a CTS lease with zero down?
    631.90 would be if you pay all of your inception fees upfront...around $1550. I would advice you to do so since your interest rate is rather high.
    If you do $0 at signing, your lease payment will be $700.

ZERO down is not the same thing as ZERO drive-off.
    Hi gregcts. One can lease basically any vehicle that they want without making any sort of down payment aka capitalized cost reduction. Having said this, even with a zero down lease consumers still have to pay their vehicle's first month's payment, security deposit, and GMAC's $595 acquisition fee at signing. Most of these fees can be rolled into the vehicle's capitalized cost rather than paid at signing, making them part of the monthly payment if the lessee wants.

Car_man
    Host
    Here is what I finally was able to get from the dealer:

Zero cap cost dollars down (rolled the $595 acquisition fee in)
    Paid the usual upfronts of 1st month and TT&L

With tax (5.5%), I am paing $665 on a 24mth/15K mile lease
    MSRP $50,285

Love my new CTS!!
    Congratulations on getting your new CTS, pokeyrai. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your lease with everyone. Make sure to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks, will do.
  • nijhsccnijhscc Member Posts: 2
    I wonder if you could give me a quick primer on the math, terminology - I am tryinig to make a decision between leasing or purchasing.
    1. How is Residual Value calculated ? what does it include ?
    2. What is MF ? lease rate ?
    3. Tax rate ?

I am considering an option from the following scenarios, from the information the dealer has given me :

Facts :
    2009 CTS : MSRP 51850; GMS 45878

Residual value = 32596
    Lease 24 mths/12K per yr : $ 798/mth; Onetime payment of $ 18400

Purchase : 4.9% for 36 mths ( $ 1439/mth)

Basically, I am trying to determine the net cost to me if I Lease first, and then Buy this car, if I decide to keep it, VS buying it up front and taking a chance that it is the one I want to keep for a longer period of time.

Your assistance and advice is greatly appreciated.
  • srynsryn Member Posts: 29
    I'll defer to Car man and GForce, but that residual seems awfully low for a 24 month/ 12K per year lease. Based on the MSRP you list (no pun intended), the residual value is 63%. If I understand GForce's immediately preceding post, it seems the residual should be more in the neighborhood of 71%.
    No problem, pokeyrai.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi nijhscc. It sounds like you are new to leasing. You can find out everything that you need to know about it by checking out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In answer to your specific questions, vehicles' residual values are based upon a percentage of their full MSRPs plus the MSRPs of any options that can be residualized. GMAC's current residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 Cadillac CTS with 12,000 miles per year is a whopping 71%.

Banks also set vehicles' lease rates. GMAC's current base lease rate for a 24 month lease of an '08 CTS is an unattractive 6.1%.

Each state calculates sales tax on leased vehicles differently.

Car_man
    Host
  • nijhsccnijhscc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - yes, I am new to leasing. I have used the Edmunds calculators, but using the CTS 2009 MSRP/Residuals etc as I had noted in my email. The Calculators do not provide an analysis/answer, if I want to FIRST lease the CTS for 24 or 36 mths, and then Buy it after this period. What I would like to calculate is the Difference between BUY NOW, Lease first/then buy. I know that in the long run, it is always better to BUY (financially speaking). Any advice ??

thanks,
  • topgun7topgun7 Member Posts: 412
    "NOW, Lease first/then buy. I know that in the long run, it is always better to BUY (financially speaking). Any advice ?? "

No, it is not true that it is always better to buy. There is 2 cost component of owning a car, the depreciation and the finance cost. Even if you pay cash out of your pocket, you still run a finance cost which is equal to the money that you can make with the cash. Comparing leasing and owning boil down to what finance rate you can get with leasing vs buying. And what residual a manufacturer set for a car.

If a manufacturer is running special for leasing a car (i.e. lease cash, lower money factor e.g. right now you have cars that has money factor equal to 3+% interest rate..) or set residual artificial high than it is better to lease a car. If it is the other way around, then it is better to buy a car.
  • 1stacura1stacura Member Posts: 6
    Car-man (or anyone else), do you know what the September residuals and base lease rates are for 12k 24 month or 36 months leases on the CTS?

Thanks in advance...
    Hi 1stacura. Unfortunately, it appears as though General Motors is not leasing vehicles this month. If you want to lease a CTS, you will have to do so through an independent bank. This month GM is offering Employee Pricing that can be combined with 0.9% to 5.9% financing and $2,000 cash. GM is providing an additional $2,000 for consumers who are currently leasing any vehicle.

Car_man
    Host
  • gmichaelgmichael Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am currently leasing a 06 CTS which is up in Dec. I am over my miles by 15000, which equates to $3000. My dealer has offered me a 2009 CTS with auto trans and dark grey color for $3450 out of pocket and $399 a month 39 m lease with 12K miles. Also asorbing my over miles on the 06. Is this a good deal or should I wait until December for a better deal?
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    Good morning, all. I am in the market for a 2009 CTS and was hoping the knowledgeable people on this site could tell me if I am getting a decent deal or not. This is what I have been quoted by the internet manager:

The MSRP of the vehicle you priced is $45,200. The others in the inventory were more expensive some by a few hundred, others a few thousand.

I am selling it to you for $42,985. When it comes to leasing, there are no
    rebates available. A 36 month lease with 12k miles a year with about $1,600
    due at signing will give you payments around $715 plus tax a month. On a
    purchase with excellent credit, $2,000 rebate and $1,600 down, your payment
    will run about $845 a month. (not sure I understand why the monthly went up here)

To move to the far end of the scale with all the bells and whistles, the CTS
    with an MSRP of $48,705 can be sold to you for $46,528 through the Internet
    Department. A 36 month/12k mile a year lease with about $1,675 down gives
    you payments of $775 plus tax a month.

After I told him what I wanted to pay a month (not really what I want but I wanted to see where he would go with the offer - I realize I will probably be paying over $600/mo at a minimum), this is what he wrote me:

My original quote to you was about $900 over invoice. I went down to about $500 over invoice (normally as low as I can go) . We were at about $763 including tax a month and with a bit more discounting, we are at about $740 a month including tax. To get below $600 a month means instead of about $1,600 down, you would need to come up with about $6,500 down. There is just not that kind of markup on a car like this. If you went down to 10k miles a year, you would move closer to the $700 mark. The only real choice would have to be find a less expensive vehicle or put more money down.

I am really sorry for the long post, but any thoughts on this would really be appreciated. I have read through most of this thread, but it does not appear as if some of the older post really apply presently.

Anyway, thanks again for any thoughts.
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    With the problem facing GM, wait a month or so, they will be forced to provide major cash back to move inventory. I do not like putting any cash up front as in the event of a total loss, your insurance carrier will not reimburse you for that part of your loss.
    Their lots are filled to capacity. The reisdual value for leasing their vehicles is low and without their own financing arm, your at the mercy of the local banks which are tight with their lending on especially on GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles.
    Hi gator5000e. If I was going to lease a new entry luxury vehicle right now, it definitely would not be a Cadillac CTS. General Motors has cut way back on its lease support over the past several months. It really no longer makes sense to lease a GM product. A number of other brands, including BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, Lexus, and others have much more attractive lease programs on similarly priced cars.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you for the replys. Good advice so I have decided to wait for a while.
    Besides this site and the individual manufacturer sites, is there a good site to see current lease offers?

Thanks again.
  • jacalykerjacalyker Member Posts: 20
    I just got an amazing deal on the CTS, and am very happy.

It was a 36 month lease that took into account, employee pricing, a rebate, and an additional $4,000 reduction since I had a lease that was to expire within the next seveal months. MSRP around 38, 36 month lease for 412 plus tax with $1,000 total out of pocket. I'm very happy . . . so far
    jacalyker, congrats on your lease.May I ask what state your in? And did you have any options/packages in that deal?
    You're very welcome, gator5000e. The two places that you mentioned, here and manufacturers' sites are probably the best places for information on advertised leases.

Car_man
    Host
  • toddbarfieldtoddbarfield Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ever extended a lease for a yr? Is this even possible to do for the CTS?
    Thanks
  • traderjtraderj Member Posts: 39
    I had asked GMAC about this in the past, and I was told you could only extend lease if you have another Gm product on order and you are waiting for delivery. You might want to call GMAC to see if this policy has changed. I don't see any advantage to extending your lease for a full year as you will be paying more than if you had leased the car for the longer period to begin with. You might consider buying a new one as they are literally giving these cars away right now. My lease was recently up and I went to the dealer just to turn it in. I had no intention to buy. But, after realizing what I could buy an '09 for, I simply couldn't say no.
  • ndfan1996ndfan1996 Member Posts: 2
    Your deal sounds AMAZING. How many miles per year? May I please have the email address of your salesperson? What state are you in?
This discussion has been closed.