Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra OWNERS: Rate your truck!

Comments

• dstevensondstevenson Member Posts: 2
    18K miles on my Limited. No problems and I love
    it.

My major complaints (I knew them all and bought
    anyway)

1) No Locking Differential Option. Available on
    every other truck or suv that Toy makes.
    2) With the Limited, I got (and payed for)
    AntiLock Brakes whether I wanted them or
    not. I didn't
    Toyota does this a lot. When I bought my
    97 4runner limited, could not get without
    a $800 sunroof. Didn't want even if free.
    3) Forced to get running lights. I use this
    outfit for hunting. Really hate the
    inability to turn off. I'll be looking for
    a specific fuse come fall.
    4) Didn't come with a towing hitch. Gimee
    a break.
  • ckski1ckski1 Member Posts: 20
    dstevenson-
    3) Forced to get running lights. I use this
    outfit for hunting. Really hate the
    inability to turn off. I'll be looking for
    a specific fuse come fall.
    Read your manual. There is a way to turn them off. Something about the E-brake before you start the engine.

quadrunner500-
    down 'undra!

Better head for the border. Taco Bell has your
    order!

You are right. If I want something Mexican made, I'll get an F-150!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    What do you hunt for that the running lights would cause a problem? Snipe, gophers night crawlers?

How many snipe can you haul before reaching the GVW of your Tundra?
  • lemonjeep2lemonjeep2 Member Posts: 32
    Here be the top 10 sales now:

#1 Ford F series
    #2 Chevy Silverado
    #3 Dodge ram
    #4 Ford Ranger
    #5 Chevy S10
    #6 GMC Sierra
    #7 Dodge Dakota
    #8 Tacoma
    #9 Frontier
    #10 Tundra

How ya figure them JD top ones be rankin so low in
    the sales now? Hint: it got somethin to do with that haul now. Good luck on this one now!

REPLY:

My post dealt with initial quality as reported by owners, not the sales figures you replied with. Since you didn't dispute my point, then you probably agree that the Tundra truly is built to a higher level of quality control than it's competitors. No surprise here. Thats one of the reasons I'm such a happy owner, this truck is screwed together well and smooth as glass.

Sales figures are not always the predictor of the best product (Hint: apply McDonalds analogy here), but the number one Ford F-Series is indeed in this case a great truck (even though it represents multiple product lines- light duty and heavy duty- ensuring higher total product sales figures). But compare Camaro vs the Cavalier, I think we would agree which was the better car, so why didn't it sell more?

When any new product is introduced into an entrenched market, as the Tundra, sales figures do not compare with the top selling model of previous years, so this is not really an intelligent way to compare trucks.
    These have all been recent posts, April 2000 or later

Fact-GM Factory Engineers admitted when cornered
    at the Feb. '99 Daytona 500 Display that the 1/2
    ton 3 door cab design would not pass "4-door
    Distortion Test". (Any one wonder why so many 1/2
    ton 3-drs having "Vibration" Problems? Fact- GM "Marketing" did not plan introduction of any 4-door models until '03. (Looks like they didn't learn any thing from Ford's one year 3-door program - not to mention they both put the 3rd dr. on the wrong side.)
    Fact-All current 1/ 2 ton 4th door units are using
    the 3/4 ton cab design. (ANY WONDER WHY THEY CAN'T GET ANY 3/4 TON UNITS INTO PRODUCTION??)
    Fact- GM dealers are currently taking 3/4 ton
    4-door ext. cab orders- BUT can not obtain build
    dates. Fact- When they do START delivery - it will be so close to '01 Model Time, why order the '00 year model?? Maybe GM will get a little smarter on the '01's and put in a REASONALBE size gas tank like Ford and Dodge. OR MAYBE even a TRIP COMPUTER like Dodge already has-- $35,000 and the GAS TANK is only 25 Gallons - HOW STUPID!! RUMOR has it (Dealer heard also) that All the '01 Models will have "Molded Plastic" outer shell BOX
    like the Sport Box has today. Wouldn't that be
    worth waiting for and also perhaps not have the
    LEMONS the '99 3-dr. 1/2 ton models have been --
    and NO MORE Rusted-out Fender Wheel openings???
    Sorry, I was spending some time in the library today on a high speed access terminal, so I couldn't resist poking around a few Chevy forums, in an attempt to validate what our rube friend has been saying about the great chev-ro-lays. Lots of people are happy, lots are unhappy (just like life), but I didn't see a single post from trucksrme. Draw your own conclusion.

#80 of 276: shevy silverado (shell8) Tue 28 Mar '00 (04:14 PM) we purchased a 2000 chevy silverado 1500 ext cab, december31. it has caused us nothing but problems, the dealership has been no help nor has the #800 for gm. our truck has been in the shop for over 40 days total. it stalls, front seals leaked, seat belt jammed, door seals leaked, truck vibrates in and out of 4 wheel, they've put new tires on it, and replaced u-joints, we have asked for a buy back or to even speak to a rep, NOTHING. attorney general says the lemon law doesnt apply because they had it for 33 days at one time but not business days, also everytime its in the shop its for a new problem. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if your reading this thinking about buying a chevy, they have the worst customer service!!!! when we had a dodge and had a problem we had a rep out in two days

#81 of 276: Vibrations,skudder. (barbour1) Wed 29 Mar '00 (03:07 PM) My 4.3 had aloud rumbling vibrating noise at idle and at steady speeds up to about 50 mph,apparently the internals of the muffler was causing it,dealer put on a new muffler and it was ok.however,about 450 miles later it doing it again,it vibrates the floor boards and I can feel it in the steerimg wheel it sounds and feels like some type of a drive-line problem
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    It is a shame that shakerado owners feel the need to bash in a Tundra topic. I call it "Tundra envy". I guess that we will just have to keep posting the facts on Shakerados - "Da Junk". Here is another poor sap who bought a shakerado:

: (last_gm_truck) Thu 18 May '00 (05:04 AM)

I guess I am an idiot. I researched and drove
    every truck before I bought. I was under the
    impression that this vibration problem existed in
    trucks made before 2000.
    I bought a 2000 Silverado Z71 w/5300 (built in
    02/2000) and it vibrates like crazy. It starts at
    about 45 mph and feels like a vibration/rumble in
    the steering wheel. It is so bad that the dashboard
    even vibrates and rattles. The vibration seems to
    fade out and come back at around 55 and 62 mph. I
    guess I made a big mistake by taking my test drives
    in the city. I can't believe that GM could build
    such a piece of junk. I have it in for service
    today for the vibration and rough idle. I have
    never seen a new vehicle that at times can idle
    this rough. When you pay 30+k for a truck you
    shouldn't have problems like this. From what I am
    reading here it looks like GM has a real problem
    with the Silverado. To think I traded in a 97
    Expedition that I loved and never had a problem
    with for this.......
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381

2000 Toyota Tundra vibration/shake (163 posts)

Good luck on this one now!
    You just don't get it. TUNDRA - J.D Powers award
    winner for best initial quality in full size
    pickups.

In contrast Consumer Reports rated Silverado -90%
    in predicted reliability for 2000. And 4WD
    vehicles rated worse. It was off their charts!
    This was based on customer surveys filled out by
    OWNERS of 1999 Silverados.

Now who am I to believe - a hick who does not have
    a second grade knowledge of grammar and spelling
    or two surveys conducted by well respected consumer
    advocacy groups?
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    http://kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.sp?kbb&&55&hot

Tundra ranked about the same level of interest as S10, Ranger, Frontier, ie the other small trucks.
    I don't think Toyota is too worried!
    By the way - my full size Tundra outhauls your Land Barge. What did you get a pickup for? I like more capability. More off-road capability, less weight, more maneuverability, more ground clearance, much better quality, etc. I would not consider a Chevy because it was much too high a price to pay for a big back seat.

Toyota Expands Indiana Plant to Increase Capacity
    Here is the link to the above article

Toyota Expands Indiana Plant to Increase Capacity

http://www.trucktrend.com/daily/daily_f.html
    Them limited ones cant out haul no Chevy, that is the fact. Ya keep postin made up numbers on this, but the fact is the fact. Why dont ya use your eyes, "Da Runt" aint goin "out haul" any big3 one, just eyeball that drive train too end this dream. Good luck on this one now!
  • dstevensondstevenson Member Posts: 2
    Wow, it was worthwhile to post here. Great
    news that there is an operational way to turn
    the running lights off. I will re-read the
    owners manual. Thank you very much for taking
    the time to respond.

Dave
  • ckski1ckski1 Member Posts: 20
    De nada.
  • mckmbrmckmbr Member Posts: 1
    Well, I had my mind made up to purchase a Tundra to replace my Mazda Miata ... yeah, I know, but I wanted a truck for all the "yuppie" reasons. I've read everything online about this truck, and it wasn't until I found this site that I knew anything negative existed. I have enjoyed reading the comments, for it has been an entertaining afternoon learning so much from so many. Bottom line, maybe I'm not ready for a truck, even the Tundra - that Special Edition Miata sure does look good, and the price is the same. Thanks for all the input - it's been a hoot!
    Have the schools stopped teaching about the first amendment altogether? I realize you are new to this forum, but if you succeeded in banning everyone who had an opinion you didn't like to read, then would you come back and expect everyone else to share yours? If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to read it. Good luck on this one now!
    Ya be findin that farm here:

Bob Jones
    43 Goosecreek Dr, Rt 4
    Charleston , SC

Cant be missin it for sure. Lookin forward too ya dropin in now. Good luck on this one now!
    In post 99 Quad saya "a full size wannabe".
    Actually this is not true, as a "full size"
    qualified truck was not my number one priority in
    this buying decision. (I already have a full size
    Dodge Ram 4x4to meet your supposed "full size"need, not to mention Sebring convertible, Mustang, and a'59 Nomad).I am most pleased with the size of the Tundra, and am not suffering size envy.

"digging in my empty pockets" is also not an
    accurate statement, as my loaded limited was only
    $25,200 after lengthy negotiations through a fleet
    dealer on a Costco buying program. (It was also the
    end of the month, when it is possible to get a
    better deal from most any brands dealer). I only
    part with my cash when I know it's a proper deal.

Also my personal agenda has never been to bash
    Chevy trucks, but ever since I started scanning
    these boards trucksrme has been spouting that the
    Chevy is the best thing since sliced bread. You on
    the other hand have seemed more level headed. I was
    merely refuting the fact of trucksrme statement of
    the Chevy's being the best darn things on the
    planet are not 100% accurate.

After our Jeep fiasco, we were searching for a
    good reliable vehicle. There are many good trucks
    out there, but the Tundra has captured the #1
    initial quality award, is a recommended buy, and is built by a company with a strong track record, and has sold all their production with no need for
    rebates or incentives.

I came to the Tundra bulletin boards to learn and
    contribute. I scanned the Chevy boards too, but did not post on the Chevy only boards because (duh) I am not a Chevy owner and do not have Chevy
    experience. So why should I want to post there, or
    why would people want me to post there. Look for
    yourself. I save all my posting for boards related
    to the Tundra. Just good manners.

On the other hand, trucksrme has his face in all
    the Tundra bulletin boards on a seemingly daily
    basis, but when I scanned the various Chevy boards, I saw nary a post from him. If you are a frequent visitor to the boards, you know this is true. He only spends time on other boards bashing their product in his special country way. A valuable use of trolling time. For his methods, I felt a reply was necessary.

I was sorry to see you go with the immature mode
    of trucksrme and refer to all Tundra owners as
    yuppies, wannabe's, etc. Facts are what wins an
    argument, not name calling.
  • redfox1redfox1 Member Posts: 42
    I have now had my Tundra one year, having picked it up 25 May, 1999. Its a SR-5, Access Cab, 4X4, V-8. The only ammenity I added was a Snug Top Lid. The truck now has 14,521 miles on it and has used 852.68 gallons of gas for a 17.58 mpg. The only service the truck has had are 4 oil changes, tire rotation and the factory recall/replacement of the rear tail lights. There have been no other problems--no vibrations, blown head gaskets, metal filings in the valve train or the other problems that trucksome, quadrunner500, bublitedude and other Tundra bashers predected/wished for. Am I completely happy with my purchase? Yes. Would I buy another Tundra? Yes. And I am not a hippie. At least my 40 year old children would never classify me as one. Does the Tundra need improvements? Yes. The drivers side arm rest is for the "birds". The rear seat needs to be reclined 15-20 degrees. The low vision head light system should be reworked. The dash board clock should be repositioned for better night time visibility. Could use a second gas tank ala Ford F-150. After driving Ford F-150's for 17 years, I am completely happy with the change. The 2000 Tundra has been a very reliable vehicle for this first year. I will save this message to repost next year!
    Ya said this on them toyotas now:

...and is built by a company with a strong track record...

They got that track record for buildin trucks and cars that pop head-gaskets now. Is this what ya be meanin by strong track record? Good luck on this one now!
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    Since when have Tundra's been popping head gaskets?
    Since they been buildin em. Where ya been? Them popin head gaskets be the plague of them toyotas now, not countin that rust. Good luck on this one now!
  • rooster9rooster9 Member Posts: 239
    Prove it! Find a Tundra with a blown head gasket or one that is rusting.
    Here be them shakin ones now:

2000 Toyota Tundra vibration/shake (Topic #1367)

Them top 10 sellers now:

#1 Ford F series
    #2 Chevy Silverado
    #3 Dodge ram
    #4 Ford Ranger
    #5 Chevy S10
    #6 GMC Sierra
    #7 Dodge Dakota
    #8 Tacoma
    #9 Frontier
    #10 Tundra

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Just because a truck is better selling than another one doesn't make it better. The only reason Chevy sells way more than Toyota is because Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks are purchased for fleet and corporate use. I have only seen one corporate Tundra since they came out. Of course, you get what you pay for.
    That dont even come close too explainin the millions them big3 ones be sellin, next too that handful of them tundras. Could be cuz folks be knowin that tundra=less truck, more buck. Even them nissans be out sellin them poor ol tundras now. Fact be the fact on this one. Good luck on this one now1
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    So why has the Ford F150 been number 1 for 22 years? I never owned a Ford but your saying that most of these sales are fleet sales?

Ford sells alot more than 100,000 to consumers I can guarantee that.

Yeah you get what you pay for.....smaller truck, no locking diff, no standard ABS. Ever hear of P.T Barnum, he would've loved you.
  • 47ironblock247ironblock2 Member Posts: 12
    Is anyone aware that GM is now using all aluminum motors now? That be the block too. I'll take the 4.7 IRON block anyday over a sleeved aluminum GM motor. Don't you be overheatin that aluminum one now.

Good luck on this one now...

BTW- I'm thinking about purchasing a Access Cab Tundra. How's the access cab area for child seats. I need the pick up to haul around all the yuppie items when I be rehabin the house, but I'm expecting a new family member.
    Is that the standard ABS that the NHTSA has a safety recall out on? I thought so. Wow! what a bargain - it comes with brakes that don't work at no extra charge.

And what about all the saps that bought Hyundai shakerados with bad crankshafts. Seems Chevy is selling brand new pickups with bad engines.

I'm sorry that your "full size" hyundai is such a heap. It does have a nice size back seat though.

I think P.T Barnum would have loved you. It may be a heap - but it is a BIG heap. They should come with free swatters to keep the flies off of them.
    Someone must not have been satisfied with their Shakerado. I went to CarMax today and saw one (as a "feature of the week") for sale already with about 15K on the odometer. Pretty bad when they have to get rid of them already. A shame.

BTW, they only have "features of the week" on cars they can't get rid of for some time (I have a friend that works there). What does that tell ya??? Good luck on this one now. (That saying makes me wanna yak BTW.)
  • rushfan2112rushfan2112 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 3-year old daughter and her child seat fits in the Tundra's back seat quite nicely. I keep her seat in the center position so that 2 other passengers can easily get in and out the back (1 from each side of the truck).

BTW, I thought that the Dodge Ram was the only full-size that has a cast-iron block.
  • xspechtxspecht Member Posts: 27
    Hmmmmmmm, let's look at those top sellers again, shall we

Them top 10 sellers now:

#1 Ford F series
    #2 Chevy Silverado
    #3 Dodge ram
    #4 Ford Ranger
    #5 Chevy S10
    #6 GMC Sierra
    #7 Dodge Dakota
    #8 Tacoma
    #9 Frontier
    #10 Tundra

Well, the fact of the matter is that Toyota produced less than half as many trucks as the P.O.S. GM's and Ford's, so they weren't trying to sell the most in their first year with the Tundra. Wait until 2001 and you will see the Tundra moving up that list as they make more trucks. Every time I drive by a Chevy dealer, I see tons of unsold trucks because they make so many. If they didn't have the fleets to bail them out, they wouldn't sell as many. Just ask Ford why they sell so many Tauruses, does the name Hertz ring a bell???????????

• docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    I recently read that Nissan intends to produce a "full size" pickup soon, equipped with a 5.0 Liter V8. That should add some interest to the mix, along with the revamped Frontier due out in the fall, complete with a blower/210 hp on some models.
    True, the Tundra is not on the tops of the sales chart, nor do I think it will approach it any time too soon in this highly visible (and profitable) entrenched market. But they DID sell all that they could make without resorting to incentives to move their inventory. And they garnered a #1 quality rating along the way. Thats the way to break into a market, so now they are expanding production to meet the demand.

Most often a manufacturers first iteration of a product is not a segment leader and leads to improvements on the second model. Examples include the 1st Honda Oddesey and Toyota Previa minivans. These underperfomers have been left in the dust by their current models (the new Oddesey & Sienna), which are much improved. The first T-100 was the learner for Toyota, now they are doing it right with the much improved Tundra.

It's called the learning curve where we all learn and do better as we go along. Look at most any consumer product and see the vast improvements as time goes on and new models are introduced. We just returned from a Memorial Day camping road trip and boy was it sweet, the Tundra was smooth cruisin' all the way.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Houston Toyota is offering $4,000 discounts on all Tundras except the Limited. This includes 2x4 and 4x4 models. The only time I can remember this level of discount (on Toyotas) was the end of model year close out where all they had left was vehicles no one wanted. The Thud you hear is your resale value dropping $4,000.
    Why is it that all of you Hyundai Shakerado owners feel the need to put negative posts in Tundra topics? Are you lonely? Are you bored waiting for your POS to get out of the shop? Is it Tundra envy?

Here is a good example of what I am talking about:

Towing w/ a Tundra (Topic #1884)

#73 of 74: Not many posts (z71bill) Sat 27 May '00 (07:57 PM)

"About towing with the Tundra - I guess the new
    optional tow package Toyota is coming out with will change that. The option allows hooking up a
    grocery cart to the back of the Tundra."

Let's see: Z71Bill is complaining in this post to a Tundra topic that there aren't many posts. Does he own a Tundra? Has he ever towed with a Tundra? Then he bashes the Tundra. Is he lonely - or what?

In the topic about towing with a Tundra there are 26 posts by Chevy owners - all of them bashing Tundras. These guys have Tundra envy big time.

By comparison, I don't think that I have ever seen a Tundra owner post a Shakerado bash in a Shakerado topic.

I'm sorry that you losers got stuck with your Hyundai Shakerados. Why don't you go whine and cry in a Shakerado topic where someone gives a damn. You can even bash Tundras there all you want and try to convince yourselves that you didn't get stuck with the biggest piece of excrement ever to be called a pickup.

As far as resale goes on that pile you own - your best bet is to turn your Shakerado in on the lemon law now. It seems like the best way to get out from under your expensive junk.
  • 47ironblock247ironblock2 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks Rush Fan. According to motortrend.com, the 4.7 Toyota is a Cast Iron Block, which is also used in the Lexus470 and LandCrusier. The Dodge 5.2 and 5.9 are too, but the Dodge version of the 4.7 is all aluminum. The new SB GM's are all aluminum.
    GM's truck engines are cast iron blocks. Only the versions in the F-bodys, Camaro and Firebird, and the Corvette get the new aluminum blocks.
    Ya best give up on tryin too learn them yuppies anything now. If they cant be figurein out the size of them trucks, then they sure aint goin be able too figure out iron from aluminum now. Good luck on this one now!
    WTF is a hyundai shakerado?

If you think I have a Chevy Silverado you're wrong, when did I say that I have one?

The Silverado's seem like they're excellent trucks, my neighbor has one and its been absolutely perfect, no problems.

I may buy one and can't believe the outrageously higher price for the toyota, not that I'd ever buy one, I'd walk first before buying japanese. But if you're gonna compete in this market you'd better offer what the competition offers: locking diff comes to mind. So does size, interior/exterior.

What about engine choices? One V6, ok thats what everone else offers, but just one V8?

Where's the dually? The diesel?

America invented the pickup, japan isn't going to change American's opinions of what a truck should be.

You act like you're a 10 year old spokesperson for toyota, if you have a tundra go and play with it and dont tell everyone how smart you are to pay more money for less truck.
  • xspechtxspecht Member Posts: 27
    All this talk of drivetrains on the trucks, and how the Toyota one is going to break. Chevy fans answer me this one, if the Chevy is so good, why do they only have a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty on the powertrain when Toyota gives you 5 years/60,000 miles??????

Maybe because with the 5/60 they think they'll get more buyers?

Just one V8?

Where's the dually? The diesel? Crew cab?
    tundra=less truck, more buck. Good luck on this one now!
    Toyota used only one V8 engine so it would make the Tundra a little cheaper to build. Also, even the article about the Tundra here on Edmund's says that the Tundra won't appeal to those who want to highly customize their trucks for work and/or play. If you don't like the Tundra, then don't buy one. BUT, you all don't have to keep fighting over which one is the better truck. That is childish. If you think Toyota is better, get one. If you think Chevrolet is better, then get one of those. Just get what the heck you want and BE HAPPY!!!
    I *STILL* don't know why various individuals keep talking about "less truck/more buck". I gave my answer to this one about 150 posts ago, but that silly slogan has been pasted in a couple dozen times since then. I guess it's time for me to paraphrase my original post again...

PLEASE keep in mind that this is the WORLD-WIDE web. The people who post to these message boards are from all over the US and abroad. I don't know what it's like in other places, BUT - here in Southern California the full size truck prices are about the same. My final decision came down between a Tundra SR5 4x4 TRD and an F150 4x4 similarly equipped. BOTH sticker prices were about the same (roughly 29,500), but MY local Ford dealers add a dealer markup of 2000-2500, so the Ford would have been more had I purchased it.

As for the smaller size stuff, I STILL don't know what you all are talking about. Maybe it's because my Tundra is a 4X4 (does it sit a little higher?). When I park my truck next to the trucks of my friends and relatives, it looks the same size as the F150, Dodge Ram, and GMC Sierra (read: Chevy Silverado).

Once again, I must concur that all of this bashing is motivated by jealousy so intense you can almost smell it in the air. Thank goodnees we don't have an inferiority complex and feel the need to bash all of the other trucks in their own forums.
    Hey Cliffy... Bamatundra... Palletman...

Did you guys hear something? I thought I heard a real annoying little squeal coming out of this message board for a minute there. Oh well, I'm sure it was nothing.
    Yep, that be how the yuppie be actin when faced with that truth. Ya asked on that size, and that truth be slappin ya back hard now. But the fact is the fact, ya asked on that size and now ya got the fact on it. Stick ya head in the sand if ya be wantin too, but the fact is the fact on the size of them limited ones now. So much for that "full size" size eh? Good luck on this one now!
    You all will have to excuse Trucksrme. He is from South Carolina... So that means the combination of the heat, alcohol at an early age, and
    inbreeding has resulted in what you see above.
This discussion has been closed.