Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Lease Questions

Comments

• soylentgreensoylentgreen Member Posts: 62
    Yep, that's what I thought too. Is the $299/month lease on the 7 passenger still going on? I went to the Subaru website and it's not there anymore.
  • soylentgreensoylentgreen Member Posts: 62
    I've been seeing .0008 too posted here. As for the residual, that's what was given to me $18724.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,826
    I still see it there... $299/mo. with 2893 due at signing.. Click on financing, then special offers.. then enter your zip code...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• legandrexlegandrex Member Posts: 4
    Question...with current SOA lease deal for $2849 down and $299 per month for Tribeca, what price is the dealer selling the vehicle for? I have a long standing relationship at my dealer that they will sell me a vehicle at invoice. Is it being sold for invoice?

Thanks
  • subienewbie2subienewbie2 Member Posts: 458
    Ask the dealer what the capitalized price is on the lease.

They have to tell you
    I will ask dealer when the time comes, but just for curiosity, when SOA has a special like the $2849 down and $299 per month what are dealers selling the vehicle for? Is SOA expecting them to sell at invoice or is SOA supporting with money and dealer is making normal profit margin?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I don't have the paperwork in front of me but I think SOA has the dealers discounting $1500 off the car and the customer paying $1999 up front, with fees that $2849 makes sense.

There's a special on the Tribeca for President's Day, extra dealer cash so expect a better deal than you were already quoted.
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    Charlie
    thanks for the reply
    I do enjoy the tribe
    By the have you noticed (as I am in the NorthEast)
    and slippage of the wheels on icy road
    even though the stablization feature is active and I am only going 30 mph on straight road
    Just curious.
    thanks
    I am happy with my B9, but being a first time subie owner, I do not see what all the hoopla is about the AWD system. 15 years ago I had a Grand Cherokee that as I remember it was a better performer (on road)on snow and ice than my 06 B9.

I can throw it into a sharp turn and floor it simultaneously and the wheels will start spinning on the snow and not stop until I back off the throttle. It appears that the engine controls never kick in to dial back the torque.

Is that normal?
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    If all your wheels are on ice at the same time then your SOL. The VDC, as I understand it moves traction and braking to the wheels " with grip"

In the 90's I had a Cherokee and experienced black ice - It was raining lightly but the ground was still frozen from a very cold single digit night. The roads were completely covered with Ice - for miles!!

From a speed of about 10 MPH it took me at least 1500 ft. to stop - 4WD, AWD NWD. everybody had to stop and wait about 30-45 min until the temp rose. Some people had to go up on a lawn to stop. Others used the curbs.

30MPH on ice is dangerous for any SUV.
    When I spoke about the performance 15 years ago of my Grand Cherokee on snow and ice - I was not speaking about black ice, just your normal mixture of snow and on the roads after a snow fall.

Black ice is totally different animal. With the possible exception of a metal tracked vehicle like an Abhrams battle tank I am unaware of anything that negotiate black ice at any speed above a crawl.
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Oh, sorry

More aggressive truck tires have a lot to do with the traction we experienced with the Cherokee. Also the Cherokee is 4WD which is on all the time not AWD which constantly adjusts.
  • golfgod2golfgod2 Member Posts: 53
    andgrodri,

I noticed that you previously had an '03 MDX. So do we and I am considering the Tribeca. would love to get your thoughts on how both drive and if the smaller space in the Tribeca is an issue. We have two school age kids and the third row comes into play a lot. Want to get a completely loaded SUV next time around (Nav and DVD) but don't want to spend more than $500/mo. Would love your thoughts.

thanks!
  • angrodriangrodri Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

We really like both vehicles. The Tribeca has a great interior, and turns/stops much better than the MDX -- it feels like a sports car in comparison. The MDX has a smoother and torquier (feels much faster) drivetrain but the on-demand electric AWD is far inferior to Subaru's and only works at low-speed and off-road (the delay from FWD to AWD is very noticeable). Our MDX lost traction all the time in the rain during acceleration, this has not happened in the Tribeca. Mileage has averaged about 1 MPG better than the MDX (19.2 vs. 18.2 avg). They are almost the exact same size except the MDX is boxier and a bit wider so has a little more room, especially in the cargo area. The Tribeca with 3rd row folded and 2nd row all the way back has a bit more leg room, but both are really good. In the MDX we could also put a child seat in the center and still use both sides for adults, but in the Tribeca it's not really feasible since it's a few inches less wide. The 3rd rows seem about the same, although the Tribeca loses 1/2 of its leg room in the 2nd row once you move the seat up to the first locking position (to give legroom for the 3rd row). The cargo area is very usable and easy to load. The Tribeca has a bigger blind spot (which we fixed by adding back-up sensors).

We have no regrets and would certainly do it again. The MDX is just an expensive Pilot and doesn't have the technology of the Tribeca nor overall driving dynamics. We're really happy with the vehicle.

Cheers
  • stormcatstormcat Member Posts: 3
    I drive a 2002 MDX and have been looking at the B9 Tribeca 7 Passenger Limited with Navi and DVD. Test drove it and it's much more car like than the MDX, which is very car like itself.

The big question I have, is why is this car such a big marketing flop for Subie? When they came out in July, leases were in the $600/mo range. The price is seriously discounted now.

I have my eye out for them and in 7 months I have seen only 3 on the road...and I live in NY Metro area. Read an article last week that said Subie was looking to sell 17,000 of them for 2006. It said their numbers sold aren't close to that. Why............it's a cool car?
    The Tribeca suffers from a personality disorder; it tries to be too many things at once: nimble yet solid, human hauler but smaller. Like the Baja (passenger carrying pickup) and SVX (sport car for the masses) the Tribeca has failed to meet the needs of the public. It's not nimble enough for the typical Subie enthusiast and really isn't a decent 7-passenger vehicle for taking a group trip, so it's not making the conquest sales needed.

I will say that those who have them more often than not love their Tribeca.

As to lease rates, Subaru has made a huge mistake in not giving all their models a bigger residual like the Tribeca. Off-lease Subies are currently sold or auctioned off at a profit for the company when they really should try to break even. This results in fewer new cars sold when other companies have so much better lease terms.
    I think it is the front end.. it just looks jarringly disconnected..

Just my take as a non-Subie owner..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yah, I can see your point, they overdid it. Have you seen the new Special Edition model that's coming out next season? The mesh grill is much more attractive.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Amazing what a very subtle change can do, isn't it? :)

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a strong word, in December they very nearly met their target sales. January wasn't so good, though.

I think it's just an ultra-competitive segment. Tribeca came out just when gas prices started skyrocketing, so its competitors amped up the incentives. You can get a Pilot LX AWD for $24k, and Highlanders are being given away now that the RAV4 is out.

-juice
    There are 3 factors in my opinion:

1. I have to agree with Juice about the market being very competitive. The big 3 were selling at deep discounts and well as a general SUV - XUV bumper crop.

2. Of more import is the fact that the Subie brand is a niche name, almost cultish and in general not known except in a very vague way as being a reliable but unexciting brand by the general buying public; especially those of us that usually shop in the $40K and up arena.

3. When it came out, many traditional Subie buyers were turned off by the price (basically 40k) for a loaded B9. The more upscale buyer which falls into 2 basic groups: Logo or Name Snobs and Driving Enthusiasts were not attracted in very large numbers because the BMW or Lexus snobs would not be caught dead in a Subaru even though is a worthy competitor and maybe the superior ride to its big name competitor. The many of the rest of the upscale buyers were turned off by the lack of options.

I purchased mine because I appreciate unique quality vehicles. I would have liked to have been able to spend thousand more on a B9 with all the bells and whistles that I was used to having on my luxury cars.

It appears that SOA is addressing several of the upgrade features and options in the 07. They still will need to address the image problem if they want to reach the non traditional Subie buyer who they absolutely need. Making the B9 a success with their core customer base does not add appreciable volume since for every B9 sold to a Subie loyalist - means one less Outback, Forrester etc that gets sold. SOA can not grow with out most of their sales growth to people like mewho came from outside the SOA family.
  • nycb9nycb9 Member Posts: 30
    I don't care what anybody says, I love the look of the Tribeca and have since I first saw pix of it on the web last year. I really don't understand its bad press. I guess they had to say something negative about it so they came up with that. I think it's nose makes it one of the most original looking SUVs out there and I like the fact that I'm driving an "unpopular" niche vehicle. I'm in the NYC metro area as well and I've only seen 4 Tribeca's on the road. They stand out all the more since you don't see one on every corner like the RX300, X5, Murano, etc. Coincidentally, I find the Murano's shark nose and gaudy chrome smile incredibly ugly. The Tribeca is an incredible value and my only gripe is that it doesn't have memory seats. The '07 has it and hopefully I can add it on to my '06!

BTW, I leased a 7 pass LTD, DVD, AeroBar, Splash Guards, Rear Bumper Guard and All Weather Mats for $425/month, NO MONEY DOWN...I rolled everything into the lease. Drove away having made only the first month's payment.

Joe
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I didn't even mention the domestic competition, but the former Big 3 are having price wars...

-juice
    Does anyone know any information about this? Two dealers in Milwaukee area claim they were able to purchase new "Wind damaged" Tribeca's at auction for a discount. Anybody know how much they were discounted from invoice? Salespeople claim no visible damage, but I am somewhat skeptical. Thanks for info on this.
    I still don't get it. It's the NY Metro area and I've seen 3 Tribeca's in 7 months and you've seen 4.

I believe that come April, you will see further discounting and leasing deals. SOA needs to clear the 2006 inventory and the 2007 model is rumored to be out in May/June. The $299/mo lease deal will live, but the down payment should drop to under $2K.

Buyers in the April/May timeframe should also consider the 2006 Acura MDX. I've been told by a Sales Manager for Acura that deep discounts are in store for April as well. The MDX body for 2007 changes completely. Acura did the same discounting when the ne TL came out 2 yrs ago with a style change.
    Same ads in NY. If you read the fine print the cars are NOT being titled as new. They have no mileage on them. Not sure what's going on here?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I am absolutely that most of the automotive press wouldn't know good design if it hit them square betweeen the eyes. I'm also convinced that most of of the automotive press are convinced Subaru is incapable of designing good looking vehicles, as it is almost a given that any write-up of any Subaru is likely going to include some smart-[non-permissible content removed] comment pertaining to the styling.

Hey, if you scream that the world is flat, long enough, and loud enough; and if you convince enough people, it must be true, right?

Bob
    This has been expained many times. Its legit.

If you are skeptical, pay full price for a new one.
    Somehow, I thought we were posting in one of the more general Subie forums, as I track those also..

Anyway... let's restrict this discussion to Tribeca: Lease Questions.. and move any general Tribeca discussion back to it's appropriate forum..

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums
    (juice.. I blame you.. ;) )

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Explained many times, but not one thread in all Tribeca forums discussed how much money dealers where paying for them. If a dealer paid $5000 off of invoice and is trying to sell me one for a $1000 off onvoice price, I would consider that a bad deal and not worth it. That's what I am really trying to find out.
    Tell the dealer you want to see the invoice or you will not consider a Subaru. They show the regular invoices, if they think you are a serious buyer they will show that invoice as well.

However - not all dealers have these units. A good price is a good price and if you get greedy you lose out because someone else will take the deal. There is a limited supply, you can't order a wind damaged unit.
    There is no official invoice for the wind-damaged cars. These fall into the used car catagory, so what difference does it make how much a dealer paid for one? If they are making $100, $1000 or $4000 on the transaction, as long as it's a great deal, who cares?
  • spence66spence66 Member Posts: 39
    That is incredible
    I agree the car is unique and the fact that there are not alot out there
    You got a great deal
    How did you get at that price
    I grabbed a $408 36mo 15k a year
    in Connecticut 12/2005.
    I didnt get the extras like (areobar,splash guards, rear guard) but the other items
    When I went the first time they quoted me lease deals using MSRP numbers and they were outrageous. I went back to negotiate after learning a lot about how leases work, etc. Then I mentioned the lease deal that Subaru was advertising (which when I crunched the #s was a REALLY good deal, about $2500 off MSRP). Once I said that he said OK, since your privy to that info we have to give the Subaru advertised deal and he pulled out a sheet of paper with all the B9 models and trims and their associated lease prices based on the advertisement. Mine, a 7 pass LTD w/DVD, was $328/month (36 mo, 12k a year). Rolling in the down payment, acquisition fee and accessories bought it up to $425. They are offering the same deal in February as well. If the slow B9 sales continue, I imagine they may even lower the down payment so they can make room for the '07s due in May. It's gonna be an awesome deal for the patient folks willing to take an '06 from dealer stock! I really love the truck (except for the minor issues I mentioned in the "Problems..." forum) and am completely surprised by most people's opinion of how it looks. I find it superior to everything but the Infiniti FX which is just way too much $!

Regards...Joe
  • nephronsnephrons Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me what the current 3 year lease is on a 5 passenger Limited Tribeca (without navigation) in the Dc area? Thanks.
    There is no way to answer that question with any accuracy.

What options do you want

What price did you negotiate.

How many miles to expect to put on it.

That is what matters and from that any SOA lease should be the same amount for the facts. Depreciation and money factor are controlled by SOA. Price is the controlling factor and that depends on the deal (price) you negotiate.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi nephrons. I can't tell you what this truck's lease payment should be like without knowing its full MSRP and selling price. Provide me with those numbers, and I'll work up a lease payment for you. For now, I can tell you that if you were to lease a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca 5-Passenger Limited through its captive finance company right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 57%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • hadasaabhadasaab Member Posts: 1
    From everything I read here, it looks like the SOA lease is a great deal. I was going to get the LTD 7 passenger w/o DVD or navigation, I am being quoted the SOA deal of $2900 down , $299 a month or a variation of the #'s. I'm not seeing much wiggle room in other postings, does anyone have any advice contrary?
    If it's the straight SOA lease, there's a little wiggle room left but not much. SNE has tossed in a "stair-step" program to induce additional sales, up to another $1000.
  • douglasduboisdouglasdubois Member Posts: 3
    I just got a quote via phone for a Lease on a 7 pass Ltd B9.
    410/month with $2000 down but does include DVD&nav......wud you be interested in going into more detail on your lease......to help me get a better deal if possible..........
    many thanks dave
    I think it is a combination of things.

Partly SOA lacks name prestige (Snob Appeal)

Core Subie owner are not willing to spend that much for there beloved subies.

Higher end buyers will spend more if only the B9 had a more upscale options list. But with out the options they are not interested.
    That's way too much. I got a NO MONEY DOWN deal on a 7 pass Ltd B9 with DVD and Aero Bars for $425/month (36 month/12,000 miles per yr) . I drove away having made only the first month's payment & registration fees and rolled everything else into the lease.

Regards and good luck...Joe
  • osyabender1osyabender1 Member Posts: 22
    Hi Joe,
    If you don't mind my asking you, would you let me know the dealership where you got your Tribeca? How was the overall experinece? I'm also in the NYC area. I'm strongly considering getting the Tribeca before the end of the month and hoping to get into under $410 with similar options (i.e. DVD, tinting mirror & compass). Also, did you go according to the Subaru run lease promo or did you negotiate the lease from the MSRP down? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    O.Bender
    Hi O.

I got my Tribeca from Grand Prix Subaru in Hicksville (Long Island) NY in January. The experience was good. But, I only got that deal because I told them I knew about Subaru's special Lease deal ($299/mth, $2,998 down on a 7 pass LTD). When I first went there they gave me #'s based on MSRP. I don't know if the deal still exists for March, but you could get it at ANY dealership if you tell them you know about it. I still don't think they've been selling well and they've gotta make room for the '07 soon so it still might be in effect and may be even better. Because it's a Subaru Corporate sanctioned deal, you can't do any better. I think the #'s work out where I ended up getting the car for about $2500 off MSRP. The Aero Bar ended up getting thrown in because they didn't have that on my original lease paperwork and when I changed colors they had to get me one from another dealer. It ended up having the Aero Bar option and they never changed the paperwork...saved me $210. The deal on the Subaru Corporate paperwork shows all the different options (5 or 7 pass, LTD, DVD and/or NAV) and lease prices. A 7 pass LTD w/DVD is $328/mth w/$2998 down. I had it all rolled into the lease with a few more accessory options and it came to $425/mth.

Good Luck...Joe
    Joe, Thanks very much.
    I thought that was according to the promo deal. It is still on thru the end of March: $1,999 down, $595 acquisition fee, $299 1st Month + taxes and misc. fees.
    My wife just scheduled an appointment for a test drive for the following Saturday. She's the primary driver and transports the kids a whole lot. I was considering to purchase the Odessey until I stumbled onto this deal. It appears to be a great value for a $35,000 ride. Another consideration was Volvo XC70 AWD. Still would like to test drive each car.

Oh, I have two more questions to ask. What was the money factor assigned and what did the Subaru put as a residual value? Again, thank you for your quick reply.
    Yes, the deal is still on. They advertised it on CBS880 this afternoon. The $1,999 down, $595 acquisition fee, $299 1st Month pymt comes to the $2900 total downpayment I was quoted so it is the same deal. 0.0008 money factor with a 58% residual. It really does have a great ride. That's one of the best things about it. At this price I feel it is a great value as well. Especially considering what an X3, X5, XC70, Touareg, RX330 and FX45, even Murano similarly loaded go for. I'm sure your wife will love it.

Which dealership?

Good Luck...Joe
    Joe,
    Thanks again.
    Bay Ridge Subaru is the dealership my wife contacted. I have no idea how easy or difficult they are in negotiating, but we still have to determine wether this car is for us before it comes to any serious talk.

I appreciate your help.

Best regards,
    O.Bender
  • chris_txchris_tx Member Posts: 15
    New to leasing, and I'm sure my question has been asking and answered before, but I was wondering if the current March lease promo is non-negotiable? What I mean is that I'm more interested in a loaded 5-pass, but with either 12k or 15k miles/year and no money down. But I want a sweet deal like you guys are getting. I looked up what I thought a couple good models would be, and the Edmunds prices were $32.5K (5-pass Ltd) and $33.7k (7-pass ltd) respectively.

Tax is 6.25%, do you know if they allow it to be rolled in in Texas?

I am strangely drawn to the styling, very Alfa-esque I think. And love that it is so rare in my SUV-loving city of Houston.

Thanks.
    Yes, I believe the Subaru corporate deal is the best you can get and non-negotiable. Maybe you can get the dealer to throw in an accessory. The way my lease worked out, I got a 7 pass LTD with DVD and a few accessories for $34,250 ("Negotiated" selling price on lease worksheet). Which, if you add the $1,800 for the DVD package, is much cheaper than the Edmunds price of $35.5K ($33.7K + $1,800). You may be stymied by a Texas State law that says you must pay ALL the taxes on the lease up front. That'll raise your lease price substantially.

Yes, I too love the B9 styling and the fact that there aren't a ton of them out there.

Good Luck,

Joe
  • mjk7mjk7 Member Posts: 8
    :D Thanks to your informative posts I am on the verge of taking the plunge. I've got what I think is a great lease deal on a 7 passenger LX with Nav and DVD $700 down (which includes first month payment, tag fees, and a few extra bucks) at $403/month 12K miles 36 months. I am turning in a 2003 Murano on lease which I got 3 weeks after they came out. It has been a good car but I was looking to get into something with a 7 seat option would be handy. I was considering the Pilot and the Highlander, the XC90 as well. The XC90 although quite a bit more expensive does have an attractive lease going now but it still is significantly more money and the complaints about reliablilty are deafening. The Pilot is much larger but along with the Highlander has to be the most boring car created. The lease deal on the B9 is unbeatable on a 40K car!! Besides that the car handles better than all of the above including the Murano. The other thing that attracted me is Subaru's AWD system which in my opinion is superior to the others mentioned. We had a 2nd hand outback impreza wagon years ago and it was the best car in the snow by far. Thanks to your informative posts I was informed about the 2 lever issue with the 2nd row seating allowing for much more glide in the 2nd seat to accomodate third row passengers. Before going to my local dealer (who did know about this) I was at the Philly car show and the model demonstrating the 3rd row seat access had no clue. I walked away very disappointed thinking the 3rd row was for small pets only. Clearly there is decent room in the third row (compared to comparable vehicles)if you know how to adjust the 2nd seat properly. I am 6'3" and although I have no intention on sitting anywhere but the driver's seat, even I was able to get back there. I am truly excited about the Tribeca. I am in disbelief after reading many not so complimentary reviews focusing on the looks. In my opinion ( and I must give you the backround that I drove Saabs for 10 years), I think the looks of the Subaru are awsome. If the same car was released by Porsche the magazines would all hail the style. I don't get it. The frontis cool. Who wants to drive a car that looks so generic like a Pilot? As far as what I read about the upcoming 07 changes, they seem minor to me and not worth the wait given this lease deal. What I would like to see in the future models is blue tooth, satellite radio, a better roof rack (thule and Yakima do not yet have fit kits), better colors, and a 6 speed manual transmission. Sorry about going on and on but I've read so many posts that I had to vent. A few qustions though--- the lease deal I was quoted is thier special with alot of the down money worked into the lease. Money factor .0032 int .08% with 56% residual ( which apparently came down from 60% when first released - when it goes lower they probably won't be able to lower the interest rate to off set it). Is there any wiggle room? Might I get rubber mats or some accessories thrown in if I push in anybodies opinion? Secondly tan or slat grey leather? I've always had tan but it does tend to show the dirt much more any thoughts??