Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The Edge's long braking distances is probably the worst attribute.

Perhaps Edge drivers are better at thinking ahead? ;)

tidester, host
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    This forum is approaching Minivan Shopping as the most disrespectful and opinionated forum at Edmunds - for a vehicle that almost none of you have driven!

I saw the Edge on a stand at the New England Auto Show in Boston last night. It is an attractive shape in a very, very crowded class. The AWD Fusion was also there and those vehicles were getting a lot of attention. The Mustangs still get the most attention, though!

It looks like a competitive entry with what appears to be reasonable pricing and a drivetrain that is competitive with anything in the class (unlike the Freestyle, unfortunately). I'm always disappointed to see the cutaway rear as you lose a lot of cargo space, but that's also typical of the class.

Ford has serious credibility in trucks. And in my experience they are very competitive. I doubt the Edge will be a smash hit, or a flop. But it seems to be a very serious entry and has a lot of features people want.
  • rafael2rafael2 Member Posts: 20
    heyjewel THANKS for sharing your thoughts.

Motor Trend is right and you too, Lincoln shouldn't be just an option above the Ford but, thats what Ford for does.

One thing disappoint me the most. I always told my wife that Ford knows how to build quality cars but that I didn't know WHY they dont built quality cars. Well, I was wrong about Ford because despite their best efforts they still prove to be "JUST THE WORST" car company that sells "False Promises" and thats all.

Buick...ohhmmm now Im impress. Dont read or hear to many promises from them but I do see and drove the effort they make and the Enclave DO shows. Now thats a car I'm thinking worth paying the 30k+ Ford is asking for the Edge.

:D
    I think the 2007 Honda CRV will be just the thing for my wife. Would rather the Honda-Edge than the Problem-Edge from Ford.

Love and Hate a thin line they say, well with Ford seems like 15 or so years in the hate making(hate=dislike for me,i dont really hate).

I hope lots of new people to Ford, buy this vehicle so, later after the first 2-3years later they TELL us what the :lemon: Ford :lemon: is all about.

And I HOPE are lots of good stuff.
    Raf.
    "If I have one complaint about the driver's seat, it is the fact that it is only six-way power operated with a manual recline. Most other vehicles in this class have an eight way power seat where the recline is also power operated."

And thats about to right of the picture, that parrapha.
    More complaits for Ford. True Ford gives you less for more of your money.

Thats Why.
    Another thing. The driven vehicles are the FULLY LOADED, the $30k+. In that range Im thinking BMW, Lexus and Acura.

Caramba, Ford is engeneering its destruction.
    The Fusion is more reliable than Camry or Accord V6 models according to CR.

Fusion has been on the market for what 3-5 years let say.
    The Camry and the Accord have been on the market Ohmm let say well over 15 years.

Uh, 15 years still selling strong.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Then you're not the target buyer. The question is whether it will sell at predicted volumes to it's target without incentives and I haven't seen anything in the reviews that would prevent the average buyer from buying one.

Yes, it could be better but that doesn't mean it's subpar.
    Actually the Fusion has only been on the market for 1 year. If you're trying to imply that the Fusion will fall apart after a few years that's ridiculous. It's not 1980 anymore.
    It's not overpriced relative to the competition. You obviously haven't really looked at the price of a BMW X3 or X5 lately.
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    To those of you more knowledgeable about the auto industry than I, I have a question. I am in sales so I know all about value, pricing, etc. but what about meeting the needs of the customer. I also drive Ford pickups and have had many other Ford products but have a Chrysler mini-van because it is simply a better vehicle than what Ford has offered in the past. We have held off purchasing a CUV because I want to see and drive an Edge. Now I read about marginal braking performance and wonder if the Edge will be worth the wait. I also have a real concern with the option packaging on the Edge. My wife and I have come to appreciate dual temp controls. We don't need auto temp control, just dual manual controls like is available in many other vehicles. Now Ford in their infinite stupidity only offers dual controls as part of an expensive package that we do not need. I doubt we are the only ones who will turn away from the Edge because of this packaging blunder. Any one else feel this way?
  • comp386comp386 Member Posts: 56
    Where the hell do you guys get the idea that Honda is bullet proof? A friend of mine just visted me a couple weeks ago with a 2005 Honda Civic with shot breaks and oddly faulty seat belts. My roommate has 2000 Honda Civic that sounds like a lawn mower in first gear and the automatic door locks don't work. I'm in no way saying that Fords will have less problems, but I think most of the data available says that reliability is comparable. Are you just going to ignore all of the actual data available? I especially don't understand why everyone keeps flaming Ford when they, for some reason, love the Mazda versions that are practically the same car. Yes Mazda does much better in the interior design and has a few extra features, but does that make enough of a difference to say that the Mazda CX-9 is the best in its class (Edmunds Editor's Most wanted) and the Edge is a lemon.
    Go drive it and decide for yourself if the brakes are not acceptable.

What other vehicles offer dual manual controls? I thought that was only available with automatic climate control. Obviously they can't offer every option a la carte, so they have to strike a balance between too many options and not enough. Most people who want dual auto climate control also want other luxury features (me e.g.). You can't please everyone.
    You may be right. I haven't looked at a lot of new products lately. Dual manual controls may have gone the way of the four speed automatic but in this case the change is not necessarily for the better IMO. I just don't like to be upsold to get one option I want. I will drive the Edge. Thanks for the input.
  • philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Okay, maybe I'm not the target buyer but I do have very specific needs that I'm trying to deal with in my next purchase that are supposedly addressed by the so-called cross-over class of vehicles.

I live and drive between 6,000 and 12,000 ft asl -- I need power. I drive in the snow, ice and on forest service roads -- I needs AWD/FWD. I frequently sleep in the car an haul gear -- I need volume. Gas will never be "cheap" again -- I need smart engineering. When I'm alone at the bottom of Gore Canyon on a weekday and a snow storm blows in I need reliability.(Don't ask -- I don't think the Denver and Rio Grande RR appreciate my being there.)

Marketing wonks will not likely give me what I need. Maybe I need a welding torch and sewing kit so that I can assemble the perfect car from the bits of others.

I need to replace a 98 Grand Cherokee, but I may need to compromise on some of my needs.

I need Ford to get off their rear axle and get this car into the showroom so I can make an informed decision. Is the rear opening at least 48" wide? (Nissan Murano.) Will it really get in the "mid 20s"? (Honda CR-V) Can I sleep in it? (Volvo XC70) Is it a comfortable but sporty ride? (Mazda CX-7) Does it have power? (Nissan Xterra)

Maybe I need to just get a Hyundai Santa Fe.
    Without automatic controls, wouldn't you need 2 separate fans, blend doors, etc. to have dual manual zones? I don't think I remember that feature ever being available (driver vs. passenger that is. Front/rear is a different story).

I understand not wanting to buy a luxury package to get one feature. Unfortunately the dealers would scream bloody murder if they made everything a la carte (not to mention the extra cost). They forced Lincoln to cut back from 4 Lincoln LS models to 2 back in 2003 because they said it was too many choices (they went from V6/V8 base and sport to V6 base and V8 sport only).

Then again, it's not as bad as Acura where you only get to choose whether you want Navigation or not.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    After reading that article, I know Ford faces very long odds in its survival. There are about 20 SUV's in the MT survey, MT had good or OK word about almost any non-Ford product. The 3 MT was most harsh about were Edge, MKX and Explorer. They had almost nothing good to say about those 3. And it's not anti-Detroitism, because they have very nice things to say about GM's massive SUV's.

Weight is a major culprit. Edge/MKX are much heavier than competitors, negating the extra power from its new engine. V8 Explorer is much under-powered and over-weighted compared to Suburban, and Explorer is not even full-size.

It's now almost a rule that new Ford products are over weight. Remember all the hue and cry when F150 first came out, or when Five Hundred first came out. How does Fusion compare with competitors on the weight front?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    DUDE you drive a 98 Grand Cherokee and you are worried about a Ford's reliability? CR rates Grand Cherokee as about as reliable as 1980 chevette.

Mark.
    This tread is pointless, it stopped being a discussion ages ago and now is just a rant arena. Since "general discussion" threads are being closed, this one should be closed also.

there are plenty of people coming here to look for useful information about vehicles and they don't need to wade through tons of BS from peeps who never drove the vehicle they are commenting on, or even seen it in person.

As for MOTOR TREND, I stopped reading that "journalistic" publication back in the 1980s after MT editors appeard in GM tv ads gushing about how great they were...NOT.

I always feel MT after reading that rag.

Mark.
  • jasonj734jasonj734 Member Posts: 35
    BMW and Lexus have moved up to the Mid $40,000+ for vehicles that would be equipped the way an Edge at $35,000 would be, (Nav, Roof, Heated Leather, etc.) An Acura RDX would be $37,000 have a turbo 4, be smaller, get worse gas mileage, and take premium fuel. The Murano and the CX-7 are really the competition to the Edge.
    My 01 Chrysler T & C has manual driver - passenger controls and my Dodge GrandCaravan before that also had dual controls. The system works great. Driver control affects driver side vents both floor and dash and also defrost. Passenger control is just the right side floor and dash. Rear control is also seperate. System is simple, reliable, and affordable.
    Which is exactly why I come to a forum like this, to get real-world experience from actual buyers, and to weigh it against the "experts".

I've been driving Cherokees continuously for 22 years. Let's do the math: that means I bought my first one in 1984. Yeah, that Cherokee. The one that started the SUV madness. It had a 4-cylinder engine that I put 250,000 miles on with no problems other than chronic loosening of the carburetor and being basically gutless for hauling and at elevation.

The '98 has 132,000 miles on it with no mechanical problems out of the oridinary wear-and-mostly-tear. If I listened only to what CR has to say there would have been a hell of a lot of ridiculous off-roads trecks that I might have missed out on. (And we'd all be driving Camry's.) To be sure, I got my money's worth out of both Jeeps.

That said, I'm not as compelled to go where only the low-rangers go anymore but I do need to address issues as stated in my earlier note. And Jeep, like a few other carmakers out there, just don't seem to be smart anymore when it comes to those needs. Capable, yes. But not smart.

So let's see what Ford can do with their new Edge. Nobody can yet say but make guesses based on specs and read between the lines of the experts who, as exasperatingly noted, are all over the map when it comes to their views. I want to like this car, I've never owned a Ford but I remain wary of both it's usefulness to me and the greater issue of quality. At least with the Santa Fe I can hide behind warranty though resale value seems to be inferior to others.

Or, I can get the welder out and build a RAVURANOTERRA-RDCX7X5XC90. Can I get that in a hybrid?

• baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    CR rates Grand Cherokee as about as reliable as 1980 chevette.

Hey! My brother-in-law owned one of them and it lasted 13 years and nearly 200k miles. Never had a problem and just required routine maintenance. It was one of the two cars I learned to drive a stick on too.

The fact that it had no glove box door, and power nothing (not even brakes) might have had something to do with it's longevity. For all we know it's still on the road!
    Q: Which cars have Michelin PAX System on them?

A: There are five total production vehicles that feature Michelin PAX System, including the 2005 Honda Odyssey (Touring model.) Other production vehicles with PAX System are:

* Renault Scenic models in Europe -- introduced in February 2002
    * Audi A8 in Europe -- introduced in November 2002
    * Rolls Royce Phantom -- introduced in January 2003
    * Audi A4 in Europe -- introduced in September 2004
    * Honda Odyssey -- introduced in September 2004

http://www.michelinman.com/difference/innovation/paxsystem_faq.html

Remember Ford Tires Firestone incident?
    Ohmmm
    LMAO

Yes indeed :)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Actually, the article stated that it was on par with Camry and Accord, not more reliable. Reguardless, this is great news for Ford.

autonet.ca/News/story.cfm?story=/News/2006/11/10/2302176-ap.html
    Or, I can get the welder out and build a RAVURANOTERRA-RDCX7X5XC90. Can I get that in a hybrid?

LOL thats were we going, sup up, car kit, Moded ride with frys 2. ;)

Good Stuff

ps I put a bit over 156k miles on my T-bird LX but I also spend money fixing the unexpected. I reallly liked that car. I got it used at about 56k miles and it come with diming rear view mirrow, 8ways automatic seats (both), climate control and confi seat cloth. That was my fun car for few years. It was big and heavy compare to the [non-permissible content removed] but I also felt secure.

The other Fards I owned and the family owned specially the Freestar were all gabage full of problems and in 2 years the thing look like 10 years old and thats just under normal New England condition.

Hey some are good some are bad some are ugly . That T-bird was my joy ride back then today is my Hondas. Ahh, im in the 6"+ I still on long drive have to put up with the seats of Honda. But the accord never lets me down and the Civic is even better for the price and usability!

I still HOPE for the EDGE.
    I think we all do.
    But I dont hold my breath after all, ITS A FORD. ;)
  • redundantredundant Member Posts: 15
    I have to agree that it is a bit vitriolic as of late. I think it is clear that the Edge is not nearly as bad as many are making it out to be. I just want to write why it may be a very good vehicle for me and how it compares to current competitors. I have been commuting in a Ford Windstar minivan for 7 years. I have to say, I love the van. It has been solid and has 124,000 mi. It occurred to me recently, after reading about the Edmunds long term Kia van getting squeaks and rattles, that my van doesn't make a sound and feels real solid. And it has spent it whole life in New York City and New Jersey, not the best roads.

So, I want to make my next vehicle my commuter, and will switch the van to kid/local duty. After having driven in the van for seven years, when I get in a car I am absolutely claustrophobic. The roof is on my head, my shoulders on the door, my nose on the windshield. I commute from New Jersey into NYC. I definitely like being up higher to see. I like having something substantial around me. I don’t drive windy roads, so comfort and safety is the main thing.

I have two kids, so having a third row would be great, but that is the vehicle my wife will drive, the aforementioned van. Yet, I like the flexibility a CUV offers for space versus a car. I always end up driving the foursome to golf, because they have Mercedes and BMWs, and can;t fit four guys and clubs and pull carts. They also get in and love the reclining rear seats and leg room. I don't want to give that up.

I don’t like the Rav because because I don't like how the rear hatch opens. Wrong direction and in NY, with so much parallel parking, you can't open the back.

I like the CX-7, but don't need the handling and don't want to pay for premium gas.

I am looking at the CV-R because of the room, good size for the city, good gas mileage. I don't really like its looks, and I feel a little like it is a chick car. Same sort of problem with the Forrester. And despite the weight, it will feel peppier than the CR-V, I would think.

Have never liked the Murano. Ugly. Pilot, truck. Highlander, older and boring in the extreme. I wouldn't discount the revised Highlander as probably being very desirable.

Would like the Freestyle without the second tier engine and transmission. This is clearly a combo about to disappear.

Most of the others I do like are too expensive, Infinity, Lexus, Acura, all too much money.

Therefore, for a CUV, I think the Edge fits the bill nicely. The glass roof, and the ipod connection are just gravy. The car type of handling without the car claustrophobia. And I do think it is a great looking vehicle.

It most definitely will have a target market.
    I need to replace a 98 Grand Cherokee, but I may need to compromise on some of my needs.

I need Ford to get off their rear axle and get this car into the showroom so I can make an informed decision. Is the rear opening at least 48" wide? (Nissan Murano.) Will it really get in the "mid 20s"? (Honda CR-V) Can I sleep in it? (Volvo XC70) Is it a comfortable but sporty ride? (Mazda CX-7) Does it have power? (Nissan Xterra)

Maybe I need to just get a Hyundai Santa Fe.

So, if you had to buy right now, what would you buy? How tall are you to be able to sleep in a Murano or Santa Fe? I don't think a Grand Cherokee is in the mid-20's, is it?
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    redundant: "Would like the Freestyle without the second tier engine and transmission."

The Freestyle's CVT is awesome. I've driven one for 20,000 miles and love it; very efficient, no shift jolts; optimal dynamic RPM selection via computers. Nissan is using the CVT in their ad campaigns. The Edge's 6-speed is very good, approaching the CVT in smootheness, but not as good. The engine is an aluminum 24-valve 60 deg V6 with years of refinement, maybe underpowered (203 hp), but the Freestyle goes 0-60 in 8.6 seconds, not bad. It trades better fuel efficiency for more power. Will the Edge be able to equal the Freestyle in MPG? Answer: NO. The Freestyle chassis will form the new Fairlane, if Motor Trend's inside news is correct, as Ford's choice over the Edge chassis. They must have realized the Edge/Mazda6/Fusion chassis can't really handle a 3-row station wagon CUV.
    Edge summary so far, from several tests from experienced automotive testers, and hard numbers out now to size it up:

Acceleration: Good
    Fuel Economy: Poor for it's size
    Braking: Poor
    Skidpad (turning capability): Poor
    Roominess: Fair
    Ride Smoothness: Good
    Steering feel: Fair-to-Good
    Pricing: Fair
    Styling: Fair
    Transmission: Good
    Engine: Good
    Vista Roof: Cool
    Quietness: Good
    Ford's Reputation: Poor-to-Fair
    Safety Features: Good, although awaiting crash tests.
    All-weather / All-Road capability: Good

Verdict: I wouldn't buy it (others slightly better), but Ford got close to a real winner, and you wouldn't be wrong to want one. It scored a few "Goods" there, and one "Cool".

For me, the Freestyle is best (MPG/crash tests/roominess), while the new Suzuki XL7 is my second choice. Good choices are the Pilot, CX9 or CX7, Highlander, Murano (only vice is that it rides a little rougher).
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    It was a 'family sedan' test. Sorry but I don't know the month. I was picking up my LS at the body shop and just had a minute to glance thru the mag. Looked at their long list of family sedans they had tested and the Fusion was in 9th place, followed by the Milan. Above them were the usual Japanese suspects. Maybe others, I don't know.
    Spoken like a true Ford salesman.

Bet you were singing a different tone when they named the Lincoln LS car of the year, eh?
    I hear ya. I wish I could find a good, decent size reliable 4x4 that gets good gas mileage.

You know better than me the kind of 'stuff' u get your vehicle into, but I would caution you anyway about replacing a true 4x4 like the JGC with an AWD anything. The AWD just won't get u out of the same stuff that the cherokee would.

THat said, if AWD is good enuf for you, there's one ride that you didn't mention that would meet all your requirements pretty well - Subaru Outback. Dunno if its 48" wide, but it gets high 20s mileage (non turbo) and if u want serious quickness the turbo is screamin fast, though a lot thirstier. Long enuf to sleep in. reasonable reliability and the new ones actually look pretty nice. The ground clearance is good too. That's MHO.
    Saw this note after I responded to your previous one. Just want to add that I have had an '86 Cherokee since new. 4 cyl/5 speed. They went to throttle body FI in 86 and I could get 25mpg on hiway pretty easy. Mine also has a quarter million miles on it. Wont say trouble free but good enuf so there was no reason to look elsewhere. Though it is dead now. Sitting out in front. Wife was driving it home up the steep hill to our house and the engine seized. Hate to junk it, but dont wanna spend $2K on a new motor either. So there it sits.

Another thought occurred to me - Jeep Liberty Diesel. Good mileage, great off road. I just cant see yu in a Hyundai :>)
    THat said, if AWD is good enuf for you, there's one ride that you didn't mention that would meet all your requirements pretty well - Subaru Outback. Dunno if its 48" wide, but it gets high 20s mileage (non turbo) and if u want serious quickness the turbo is screamin fast, though a lot thirstier. Long enuf to sleep in. reasonable reliability and the new ones actually look pretty nice. The ground clearance is good too. That's MHO.

I have an 06 Outback H6, replacing a 97 (187,000 miles). Quick, good handling, reliable, durable, and economical. But there is no way it would fit a sheet of plywood - except on the standard roof racks.

So I'd like to understand what vehicle the poster would buy today? It seems like a lot of people are posting here who have already made up their mind not to buy an Edge and I don't understand why.
  • porcinimanporciniman Member Posts: 23
    There has been alot written here about Ford's new offering.
    Most, by people who have never driven this vehicle.

I've read opinions based on reviews by writers who have driven the vehicle, but now, it seems to have become a pissing contest about who offers the best bang for the $$$!

Yes, there are better vehicles out there, but there are worse also.
    It seems to be a matter of what you need and desire in your new vehicle.
    What do I, for my particular driving habits, want and need and have to have!

Ford knows, that their future is on the line! !!!
    They have made an impressive effort in this new production model, yet, people here bash it.... against models that have been in production for years..have had time to work out the kinks, and expect Ford's 1st offering to be up to par, with those who have had years to tweak their offerings, with no mention of their production, real world problems, recalls...blah, blah, blah!!!!!
    That is not a real expectation in the real world!

I've read: the braking is not great, the interior fit and finsih is not up to snuff, the styling is so so, no 3rd row, too heavy, lacks a sophisticated interior, etc.!!

Ya know what????!!!!!!!!!!

Go buy the other car!!!!

After all, these car experts don't have an agenda and , as we all know, they are completely unbiased in their opinions!

I've seen the Murano interior...it's major competition!!!
    It's, in my minds eye view, poor............ compared to the Edge.

The BMW X5....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What an over priced piece of German enginering! !!!!!!!

I've got to belive, Ford should focus on the new Acura RDX & MDX.
    These CUV's, are, in my opinion...the tops in their class!!!!!

If Ford is smart, they will listen to thier consumers; improve the Edge vs their competion and it will be a winner....or...Ford will become extinct!
  • redundantredundant Member Posts: 15
    I agree with porciniman. I certainly thing the styling is pretty good compared to the competition. Obviously, taste is personal, but it is competitive. The cars that you list as the completion are indeed very good, but also, more expensive. It seems to stack up well against it's price competitors.

As to the brakes, I don't know if you guys/gals have been to the Truth about Cars website, but they thought the brakes were good. "Luckily, the brakes are the same awesome stoppers found on the CX-7." Check out their review. While there are nits, I think the review is favorable overall.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2484

Finally, if you don't like the Edge and don't intend to buy it, then go elsewhere. No one has even driven it yet, so to just trash the car endlessly here is silly.

">link title
    So, if you had to buy right now, what would you buy? How tall are you to be able to sleep in a Murano or Santa Fe? I don't think a Grand Cherokee is in the mid-20's, is it?

I honestly can't say, and won't decide until I can at least see the Edge and CX-9 to measure the hatch opening width.

I'm 5'9" and can sleep in the GrCherokee just fine. When I go to a dealer the first thing they do is open the driver's door then wonder where I went as I go around back, open the hatch, take off my shoes and crawl in. My wife does the explainin' while I scootch around for sleepability.

Then I measure the width of the hatch for a minimum 48" opening for a pontoon boat frame. This is becoming more of an issue than stretching out in the back, and translates to the usefulness of the cargo area for otther needs. For instance, the cargo area in the back of a Volvo XC70 is amazing -- but it's like a toothpaste tube with a tiny (42") hatch that is rounded on the corners so there's no gain on the diagonal.

You ask about the GrCherokee being in the mid-20s... I'm not sure what you're referring to but it was in price (in 1998) and goes 18-21 with regular fuel.
    Yup, thought of the Subaru. Pretty much the unofficial state car of Colorado. But Garandman nails it with the plywood remark -- it's just too small back there. And I appreciate your input regarding FWD vs. AWD, reassuring myself that Colorado Search and Rescue is partly funded by my fishing license fee. I always leave my wife a GPS printout of where I'm going and when I should be home. I'll likely need to downgrade my excursions based on the capabilities of the next car -- unless I go nutty and Xterra.

I'm sorry to keep widening the scope of the discussion while we wait to actually see and drive the Edge, but one final point about some of the other vehicles mentioned here: ground clearance. Acura RDX = 5.12"!!! That won't even work in my driveway. I gotta plow-out before using our Volvo S60 w/AWD because it'd float otherwise. And sometimes I don't have time to do the chore. With the Jeep (9.4") I can usually grind out a 90' path to the road.

The takeaways in this and other forums for me are: a) there's a lot of useful information here that I find valuable despite the ocassional transgression, and: b) it may be illuminating for some folks out there about how and why some of us need SUVs or CUVs. I may hug trees and worship dirt but I drive what I drive due to -- and what I originally titled my post as -- "needs".

thanks all.
    "...ground clearance. Acura RDX = 5.12"..." and "Jeep (9.4") "

Interesting figures. The Edge has 8", Freestyle has 8", the Honda Pilot has 7.8". A Cherokee will only give you 1.4" over a Freestyle/Edge. Good compromise, really, as the Edge/Freestyle/Pilot is really only meant to be "all-road", tackling the occasional side dirt roads. Edmunds.com lists the Acura RDX at 6.3" ground clearance and the Acura MDX at 7.3" (all '07 models). Seems my Freestyle (and Edge) is more of an off-road vehicle than the Acuras and Honda, anyway.
    You ask about the GrCherokee being in the mid-20s... I'm not sure what you're referring to but it was in price (in 1998) and goes 18-21 with regular fuel.

Right, that's the point - a Grand Cherokee is not a mid $20's vehicle in 2007. The sticker is over $30,000. A CX-9 is nearly $40,000!

If you are getting 18-21 with your Grand Cherokee, I'd keep it or buy another. If a vehicle with EPA City Highway ratings of 15mpg / 20 mpg is averaging the highway figure or above, you really should keep it - most folks I know with similar vehicles average about 14-15mpg in town and no more than 18 on the highway. And the CR used car verdicts rates it (from user data) with "Poor" reliability of Transmission, Drive System, Climate System, Brakes, and Exhaust. So you have a very good one!
    And the CR used car verdicts rates it (from user data) with "Poor" reliability of Transmission, Drive System, Climate System, Brakes, and Exhaust. So you have a very good one!

Evidently! I've got a small crack in the exhaust manny that heals itself when the engine warms up (and still passes smog tests); and a dinged up catalytic converter courtesy of Rocky Mountian granite. Never any problems w/climate. Spotless garage floor below; but did rebuild the rear axle and get brakes at 115,000 after noticing a leaking seal. Keeping it is certainly an option and something I always swing back to in my bi-polar rationalizations. Drive it into the ground, or until the windows rattle loose like I did with the '84. I won't consider the new one -- looks like a star in a Kung Fu movie: Ug Lee.

Oh well, still waiting to judge the Edge.
    I want free trips to press junkits!

Mark.
    You know IMHO, it really matters little how much ground clearance an AWD vehicle has, cause if you take it where it needs ground clearance, it probably needs real 4WD to get back. I guess there are some fire roads and the like where 8" will be better than 5, but stay out of the real off road stuff. Period. Most places (Canyonlands, CanyondeChelley, ... eg) wont allow AWD vehicles onto their trails. Goitta be the real thing.

Strangely, when I took my Cherokee over Elephant Hill Road in Canyonlands the ranger said if I was driving an Explorere, even with 4WD, he would have 'advised' me not to go as he said they had to tow Explorers out of there every once in a while.
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    I'm a Freestyle owner who has "no dog in this fight" with regards to the Edge. But I happened to be at my dealer this morning and noticed an Edge on display in the dealer's new car showroom. (Orange, of course.) All I gotta say is that the "wow" factor is considerable when you see this vehicle parked amongst Mustangs and 500's. Nobody can say Ford was too conservative with this baby. I would be shocked if it doesn't sell very nicely. In fact, I think it will end up being a much bigger hit than anybody now expects.

OK... you guy's can go back to arguing about weight now.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314
    tires make a big difference and an explorer is a longer wheelbase vehicle. the 4wd system is fine.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Member Posts: 168
    Greetings:

While viewing the Edge in the showroom, did you happen to sit inside it? I too am a very satisfied Freestyle owner (2005 Limited AWD) but am curious about the interior accomodations (seating comfort) in comparison to the Freestyle. I have no plans to switch to an Edge but may consider the 2008 FS. I would hate to give up all the room and utility of the FS for an Edge if the mileage difference is negligible w/the bigger engine.

Thanks -

M. J. McCloskey
    Simply stated M.J., the Edge does not compare to the Freestyle. It doesn't have the room or the Volvo-esque appearance on the inside, nor does it have the Volvo chassis underneath. I'm sure the Edge will sell very well on it's looks alone. But if you are happy with your Freestyle, keep it. The Edge really has nothing to offer you, especially if Ford puts the 3.5L in the Freestyle next year.
    Wrong, above. The Edge is actually slightly roomier in the front seats than the Freestyle. The Freestyle has more legroom in the back seat, though, by a significant 2 inches.

Edge vs. Freestyle, roominess, its close, but the Edge wins in the critical areas of front headroom and front shoulder room, where you really sense spaciousness/comfort:

Interior dimensions, Edge vs. Freestyle:
    Front Headroom 40 in. vs. 39.4 in. -- Edge wins
    Rear Headroom 39.3 in. vs. 39.4 in. -- Freestyle wins
    Front Shoulder Room 58.9 in. vs. 58.5 in. -- Edge wins
    Rear Shoulder Room 58.8 vs. 57.9 in. -- Edge wins
    Front Hip Room 54.8 in. vs. 55.5 in. -- Freestyle wins
    Rear Hip Room 56.1 in. vs. 55.8 in. -- Edge wins
    Front Leg Room 40.7 in. vs. 41.2 in. -- Freestyle wins
    Rear Leg Room 38.1 in. vs. 40.2 in. -- Freestyle wins
    Maximum Luggage Capacity 32.1 cu.ft. vs. 17.6 cu.ft. Edge wins big here.
    Maximum Seating 5 vs. 7 -- Freestyle has a 3rd seat, but it takes up the luggage room back there.

The Freestyle is a full one foot longer than the Edge, and the Edge is about 1 inch wider than the Freestyle (close).

I'm a huge Freestyle fan (20,000 carefree miles on mine so far). The Edge gets worse MPG, worse braking performance.
    Better check again c-crank. From the fordvehicles.com website:

Freestyle Cargo volume 47.9 cu.ft. behind second row, 86.1 cu. ft. behind first row.

Don't know where you came up with 17.6. It's 20.7 even with all seven seats occupied.
    That's behind the 3rd row which the Edge doesn't have. Not exactly a fair comparison.
This discussion has been closed.