Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    You will probably want to check out the forums here that are for exteriors and interiors. There are some great discussions about waxes, for example. I promise that you'll learn a lot but you may be confused with all the info. :)

I've been impressed with the products I've purchased from Griot's Garage and Top of the Line. Griot's has a detailer's handbook that you can download for free. Their Interior Cleaner is amazing but I agree with someone else who posted here that you should try a damp cotton or microfiber cloth first.
  • Options
    ar39ar39 Member Posts: 61
    True! The dealers advise all sorts of add-ons which are not required in reality. I've noticed that customers who lack knowledge of reliability often end-up purchasing these extended warranties. Another reason is that they have peace of mind. Most often than not they end-up finding out how realiable the Hondas are.
  • Options
    I suggest inspecting the automatic tranny before inspecting the brakes. The torque converter pump might be at fault resulting in excessive pressure on the turbine.

Do you experience a power loss in either drive or reverse?
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    no power loss... noise is coming from rear of car... am thinking it's brakes--- thanks.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Extended Warranty is like ANY insurance policy. The question is always, how much you pay for what kind of coverage.

Just as you won't be willing to pay $10,000 a year for a $100,000 life insurance... Unless you plan to leave as all bye bye next month... so is your calculation regarding those extended warranties.

I find a genuine Honda warranty that cost $700-800, covering all major components in the car for the next 7-8 years, with zero deductible (and including road assistance service) -- well worth it. Even for the sake of my state of mind....

But it's true, this issue is very personal.

And LUCK has much to do with it too....
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    What about an exhaust noise?

When the car is in reverse, the engine rocks in the opposite direction than it does while in drive.

Maybe that different position of the engine is moving a pipe where it's now making contact with something.

Mrbill
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Right, extended warranty is just like an insurance policy. The insurance company has to collect substantially more than they will pay out. That's how they make money. So chances are, you will lose money on the extended warranty. Depends on how much piece of mind is worth to you.
  • Options
    djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    The cost of my Honda Care policy was $875.00. To date, Honda Care paid for a new AC compressor, Motor Mounts and a Driver's door window regulator. The AC compressor alone was $1000.00 dollars. I paid nothing! I am still riding on the 7 year / 100,000 mile / "0" deductable extended warranty. I think this is well worth the money. The new extended warranty on 2006 vehicles is for 120,000 miles or 8 years. ---- Best regards.
  • Options
    Motor mounts don't just break for no reason. Sounds like the car has been abused. Power braking, or dropping it in Drive when revving the engine will break something.
  • Options
    philliplcphilliplc Member Posts: 136
    i am buying an SE tomorrow and will be passing on the ext warranty, mainly because i expect to be trading it in on a hybrid or possibly flex fuel vehicle within 5 years (especially if honda makes a 4 cyl accord hybrid :) )
  • Options
    Motor mounts don't just break for no reason.

---- And your point is? And what about the OTHER stuff that went bad, like the A/C compressor?

Also, your claim that "The insurance company has to collect substantially more than they will pay out. That's how they make money." is of course a very simplistic way of "proving" your point... People buy life insurance and get killed a week later. Others buy it and live to the end of their policy.... Years ago I bought a 1-year old Grand Prix with extended warranty. In 5 years of owning the car I had the whole TRANSMISSION rebuilt, and the whole POWER BRAKE system rebuilt... This was a GREAT investment. Sure, the Accord is better built than the Grand Prix, but STILL, "things" happen. You can read HERE how many "things" can happen even with a good car like the Accord.

But why go far, I guess you read djm2's above, did you.
  • Options
    If you buy a Grand Prix (not reliable) you may need the extended warranty. Or if you buy an Accord, and abuse it, you may need the extended warranty. The FACT is, the companies that sell extended warranties make all their money by charging more for the warranty than they will most likely pay out. Insurance is a ripoff, and so are extended warranties. I have owned Accords since 1991. Haven't spent $1,000 dollars on repairs in all that time. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'll take my chances on an Accord.
  • Options
    mumo805mumo805 Member Posts: 1
    Do you know what is a good car cover for my car? I will be gone for a few months and my car will just be parked under the LA, CA sun. I don't want to pay too much, but also want good quality. Thanks.
  • Options
    If you want a water PROOF cover, you will pay at least $200 - $300. If you want a water RESISTANT cover, they can be had pretty cheap. I use the cover Honda sells for the Accord (not water proof) with a water proof cover on top of it. It's not perfect, but works pretty good. Search around on the internet. Remember "water resistant" and "water proof" are two totally different things.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    Hi DJ.

Can you tell us more about how/why the motor mounts went out and needed replacement and how the compressor failed such as mileage and a reason?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    "Insurance is a ripoff"

Now, THERE you go, elroy. That's OK, you save money by not insuring your car, or home, or health, or your life.

And you're perfectly right, since you're the one lucky guy here.

The rest of us not-so-lucky, dumb ones will keep paying to insure our property, our health and our life.
  • Options
    lqyedmundlqyedmund Member Posts: 4
    How about your car now? I noticed this noise this afternoon when I reverse the car. My car is new 2006 Accord VP model. Thanks
  • Options
    You don't have to be lucky. If you add up all the money "Average Joe" spends on insurance, in his lifetime. It will be much more than he ever gets from the insurance companies from claims. How do you think the insurance companies pay all those employees? My advise is, don't buy more insurance than you really need, or required by law. I'm not saying you're dumb, just maybe overly cautious. "Piece of mind" is worth more to some people than others.
  • Options
    "My advise is, don't buy more insurance than you really need"

So instead of suggesting what NOT to buy, tell us, elroy, what insurance we SHOULD buy? What about life insurance, elroy? And health insurance? Is your home insured?
  • Options
    The vehicle always had a slight vibration at idle, with the trans in "drive," AC on and the hydraulic brake applied. The cause of the vibration was determined to be defective motor mounts. The new motor mounts solved the problem. The compressor failed at about 50,000 miles, (no reason).
  • Options
    Today's society demands that we have at least some insurance. Have you ever told the doctor or hospital that you don't have insurance (not a good idea). Law requires that you have auto insurance. Just because I have some insurance, doesn't mean I agree with the way it works. We all have to do things we don't like, due to circumstances beyond our control.

This thread has gone off track here. Let's get back to cars, OK.
  • Options
    The four cylinder Accord is known to have a rough idle at a traffic light with the automatic transmission in drive, the AC on, and the hydraulic brake applied. The cure for this condition is replacement motor mounts. It has nothing to do with vehicle abuse! There is a "kit" for this problem, sold by the Honda dealers. The service was performed without charge, because I have the extended warranty. I also had the radio replaced, because the dash display went out! Here again, no charge!
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    no more noise-- got rear brakes/rotors replaced... 75,000 miles on car so it was due i guess. noise is gone tho.
  • Options
    seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    In 50 years of driving, I have had only one auto that "lost" its motor mounts at a stoplight...a Hyundai Excel. Somertimes "Spit Happens. What a POS!
  • Options
    There have been many people who have had their head unit lights go out after the warranty expired (no extended warranty) and have not been charged for a new head unit. Honda is very good about these things. If it is a common problem, Honda will usually "good will" it. This is one of the reasons Honda has so many repeat customers. If it is a manufacturer defect, Honda will work with you.
  • Options
    The "vibration at idle" was caused by defective motor mounts. That is why Honda developed a "kit" to solve the problem on the four cylinder engine Accord. The problem does not exist on the V6 Accord or the four cylinder Civic. Honda does manufacture a high quality product, but I am unhappy with some of the design features on the 2003 Accord. Here are some of the issue that I do not like: 1.) The visibility problems with the front "A" pillars. They are too thick and they block visibility of oncoming traffic at intersections, 2.) The leather seats are TOO hard. I would like a softer seat. I use a pillow on the seat to make my seat a little more comfortable, 3.) There is a "blind spot" in the driver's outside mirror. It makes the vehicle more difficult to drive. (I know there are ways to adjust the three mirrors, but the problem is there and it should not exist., 4.) There is only one key cylinder in the front doors of the four door Accord. I would like a key cylinder on the passanger front door. It is just something that I want! I had this on my other vehicles and I would like this feature on my Accord. THINGS THAT I LIKE ABOUT THE 2003 ACCORD: ---1.) I like the four cylinder engine. It is very responsive and smooth. It gives me 30+ miles per gallon, and that is acceptable, 2.) I like the action of the automatic transmission. It shifts very smooth.
    Under the extended Honda Care Warranty I have replaced the AC Compressor, the driver's door power window regulator, the radio & dash display, the motor mounts and the interior door handle of the passanger front door. I would not own this or any vehicle without an extended warranty. (They are just too expensive to repair.) I would estimate that Honda has put in about $3,000.00 dollars in repairs on this vehicle under the Honda Extended Warranty.
    I am starting to look for a replacement vehicle. The E85 fuel and the Hydrogen Fuel is an important consideration. If Honda would offer an E85, Hydrogen or a Diesel engine in the Accord, I would be very interested in the vehicle. If the next vehicle is not a diesel, it will have to be E85 compatible. The Chevrolet Impala offers an E85 engine. This vehicle would knock the Accord out of the running, when selecting a replacement vehicle. The one problem that I face is the selection of a Chevrolet dealer. I have a great Honda dealer, and finding a Chevrolet dealer that offers "loaners" and has great service, could be a problem in my area. I make it a point to stay away from highway dealers. I like to buy my vehicles from "mom & pop operations". Yes, I like the personal touch! I don't respond well to high pressure operations. I am waiting to see what the 2007 Accord will offer.
  • Options
    Any new geneation model in its first year of running has quite a few problems with its components. It makes sense to buy the extended warranty in this case. I'm sure Honda has bettered the faulty components for later models of the same generation. I avoid these first-year models. Typically, one who wishes to drive the car more that 5 years, would buy the extended warranty. In my opinion people are better-off without those additional warranty costs if they change cars regularly.
  • Options
    djm2 OK, let's see now. You say you need a key cylinder on the passenger side. If you have keyless entry, why do you need a key cylinder on any door? Seats are too hard, I love my leather seats (03 EX V6), but I guess they could be too firm for some people. The mirrors can be adjusted so that you can see that area. The front pillars are thick, but that is for the side curtain airbags ( I have them). And where are you going to find fuel for this E85 engine? Chevys are not very reliable, and I would be wary of trying something that has just been introduced.

By the way, I have had very minor problems with my 03 Accord. How many miles do you have on your car?
  • Options
    I am on the road every day of the work week, and I do a lot of traveling from New York State to Florida. Most of the Honda Care Extended Warranty repairs were done when the vehicle had between 50,000 and 55,000 miles. E85 fuel is already being used by local governments, but it is not yet for sale to the general public. I do have keyless entry, but I would still like to have a second cylinder on the passenger side of the vehicle. It would be an option that I would pay for, even if it had to be dealer installed. The front "A" pillars are a design flaw, no matter what the reason for the thickness. The leather seats are a matter of opinion. I have owned Chevrolet vehicles before, and I have always driven them to 100,000 miles without major problems with either the engine or the transmission. I did replace AC compressors, alternators and starters, but the extended warranty took care of the cost of the replacements. E85 fuel is coming, and if a person is going to purchase a 2007 or a 2008 new vehicle, this new fuel issue has to be in the mix when looking at the advantages of the new vehicle. With an E85 vehicle, the owner can burn either unleaded fuel or E85 fuel or a combination of the two. There might be a cost advantage or there might be just the convenience of being able to use a variety of fuels. Some literature on E85 fuel suggests that older vehicles can tolerate up to a half tank of E85 fuel mixed with a half tank of regular unleaded fuel, without setting the "check engine light". This might or might not be true, but it would be an interesting experiment. Ford has an E85 vehicle. I am not concerned about the new technology. As long as you purchase a vehicle from one of the major produces, and get an extended factory warranty, the customer would be in a good position. I believe the Impala with the 3.5 V6 is an E85 engine.---- Best regards.
  • Options
    deliciousbassdeliciousbass Member Posts: 18
    Some literature on E85 fuel suggests that older vehicles can tolerate up to a half tank of E85 fuel mixed with a half tank of regular unleaded fuel, without setting the "check engine light"

FYI - Before anyone decides to use E85 fuel in their car, you may want to research the following news item posted today:

ROCHESTER, Mich. - Automakers said Monday they are trying to get more ethanol-capable vehicles on the road quickly, but warned that consumers in the meantime should not use an E85 ethanol blend in conventional vehicles or try to convert their vehicles to use E85.

But representatives from GM, Ford and other automakers warned that any blend with more than 10 percent ethanol can corrode parts on a conventional vehicle. Norbert Krause, director of the engineering and environmental office at Volkswagen of America Inc., said his company even makes technical adjustments depending on whether a vehicle will take a 10-percent or a 22-percent ethanol blend.
  • Options
    macpappy99macpappy99 Member Posts: 3
    Lately our 2005 LX SE Automatic coupe has been showing empty at at around 13-14 gallons. Specs have the tank at 17.1 gallons. When we took it to the dealer to have it looked at they said they could find nothing wrong in diagnostics and then proceeded to show me a page from thier manual that said that the indicator light could go on a little after a quarter of a tank and that there would be 3-4 gallons left. My worry is that this happens way after a quarter of and tank and the gauge is showing almost empty. Anyone have any similar experiences or possibly know what's happening?
  • Options
    I do have keyless entry, but I would still like to have a second cylinder on the passenger side of the vehicle. It would be an option that I would pay for, even if it had to be dealer installed.

Why? please explain this desire for something you don't need. And if you have had such great experiences with Chevrolets, why did you pay more for a Honda? You don't seem to like it very much.
  • Options
    When the low gas light comes on you have 3-4 gallons left ( at least 60 or so miles ). So what's the problem? If you want to fill the tank before the light comes on, you can.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A quarter of a tank on the gauge is not equal to a quarter tank in your fuel tank...It's closer to ten gallons...the light comes on with about 4.5 gallons left, where the gauge reads about 3 lines above E.
  • Options
    I purchased this Accord used at a great price from an estate sale! I also have had great service from Ford, Mercury, Olds and Buicks. A loaded Chevrolet Impala is about the same price of a Honda Accord, but it does not hold its value like the Accord. After driving the four cylinder Accord, I like the four cylinder engine. Honda makes a quality product, but I think that they could improve it a little. Example: ---- Honda does not offer a front power seat on the passenger side of a four cylinder Accord. To get the power seat on the passenger side, you must have the V6 engine. That does not make any logical sense. The seat has nothing to do with the engine! This option should be offered on any Accord. It could be a dealer installed option. I like options in my life. For example, I own a 27' boat. The boat was manufactured with a large bilge pump in the engine compartment. I had the dealer install a second bilge pump with a high water alarm a little higher than the original pump. Should this alarm go off while I am under way, I know that I have a major water problem, and it is time to think about finding a place to beach the boat. In addition, I now have two pumps removing the sea water.
  • Options
    blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Honda cars do not live up to the reputation they earned back in the 70's & 80's. I owned 3 Hondas since 2002 and all had major mechanical problems.

My 2000 Odyssey had two transmission replacements. 2003 Accord had 1 transmission replacement at 42k, front tie rod ends at 40k, rear struts blown at 30k, laden with creaks & rattles - front air bags & headliner re-installed at 10-20k. Finally, just bought a new 2006 Odyssey ($35k MSRP) and has a groaning noise at 2000rpm that the Regional Honda rep is working on a fix + power steering rack is bad from factory.

I know the Honda lovers will jump all over me for this, but consumers should be aware that Honda cars are not what they used to be. I was an American car owner for 15 years before buying Honda & did not have as many major problems.

Lastly, I will try Toyota again after 165k trouble free miles w/1994 Camry.
  • Options
    financialguyfinancialguy Member Posts: 4
    Part of the beauty of buying a Honda is that the car comes packaged a certain way so you can easily see what features the car has and what the dealer cost of the vehicle is. Buying a Honda is much easier than buying, say, a Toyota. If you want more options, I'd suggest buying a Toyota. If you want an '06 EXL I4 Accord w/o Nav, you know what the MSRP and invoice price is, figure in any incentives, and can make a reasonable offer for the car. It takes a lot more work with a Toyota, but with Toyota you get more choices. I want to know exactly what I'm paying for, which is why the Honda makes more sense for people like me.
  • Options
    timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    You say you've driven domestic cars to 100K with no problems, well 100k is NOTHING! That's just getting the engine broken in on foreign cars. And with American's spreading out further in urban areas, we are driving more. Nowadays it's typical to put 200k PLUS on foreign cars. Domestic cars typically don't last that long. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles recently with Hondas. We've been much more successful with 17 Hondas in my household since 1982. We've even had three Accords from 2003+ (and still have a 2005 and a 2006, plus a 1996 LX Accord with 161k miles). No such trouble with our Accords; only a creaky sunroof on both of ours, and my dad had a rattling strut fixed recently (he's out of warranty but Honda fixed it free anyway - he's at 47,000 miles on his 2005 EX). My 1996 has only had two real repairs in its life, brake master cylinder and main cooling fan (radiator fan) motor...both add up to about $600...Not bad for 10.5 years and 161k.

If I were in your situation, I'd likely leave Honda too, but I'm in the majority of buyers who still find Honda quality to be the best in the business for under $40k. (After that price, I'd move up to Lexus!).

BTW, be careful of new V-6 Camry transmission troubles, some posters here have posted pictures of their 2007 Camry being hauled off on flatbeds with dead trannies.
  • Options
    bmr123bmr123 Member Posts: 60
    I own a 05 EXV6 and my car shows the light after 13-14 gallons. I usually drive another 50-60 miles before a fillup. It annoys me but I realize that its just a safety feature for those who are traveling or live in rural areas. I traded in a 2000 accord which would signal after 16 gallons used, so this took time to get use to. It's definitely not a issue and it does states this in the owners manual. So no worries. You getting any rattling inside your car at all? That bugs me more than the gas indicator light.
  • Options
    Your 2000 Accord went off with only a gallon left? Yours may have been an anomoly, since every Accord we've had since our 1993 has gone off with more than 3 gallons left in the tank (including my current 1996). Getting down to one-gallon left is dangerous. I had my car (1996 LX I-4) parked on an inclined driveway (pointed downhill) while the gas light wasn't even on. The car would crank, sputter, and die, and the gas light came on immediately, although it hadnt before i parked it. I had to put my car in neutral and roll it down the hill to a level place to get the car running, and when going in reverse up the hill it actually died to the point i had to repeat the process. It still had nearly 4 gallons left when i finally got it up the hill and to the gas station. For this reason, I usually fill up by 12 gallons or so (all Accords since 1990 have held 17.1 gallons).
  • Options
    macpappy99macpappy99 Member Posts: 3
    No rattling yet. If there is any I just assume it's all the stuff my wife has in the doors.
  • Options
    I have had no rattles on my 03 Accord. There is so little wind noise in the car you will hear a rattle even if it's small. The only thing that slightly bothers me is the road noise ( on rough pavement ), I was thinking about adding some sound insulation under the carpet. I don't know if the road noise is bad enough to ever actually do it though. My wife noticed a rattle one day, but it turned out to be the tire gauge in the glove box. I loved my 92 Accord for 12 years, and I love my 03 Accord too.
  • Options
    Your 2000 Odyssey was manufactured in Canada and had a myriad of production problems...soon after, an Alabama manufacturing plant was started.
  • Options
    qocoaqocoa Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I am out of warranty on my vehicle as well. I just want to get the CD's out. Any ideas?
  • Options
    What problem are you talking about? Can't find original post. Honda will good will a repair (out of warranty), if it is a common problem.
  • Options
    bigjohn7bigjohn7 Member Posts: 1
    I recently replaced my 2004 Accord (V-6-Nav)transmisson with 77,000 miles. I have a brother-in law and friend who had the same problem with their 2004 Honda. This car had a transmission recall within the fisrt 2 months of purchase. Has anyone else had this problem. DId they have any luck with support from Honda Customer service? the $3500.00 cost has ruined my vacation plans.
  • Options
    stifer22stifer22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Accord EX V6 Automatic. I have about 41,000 miles on the Original stock tires, Bridgestone Turanza EL41.
    I want to get new tires after seeing a great reduction in performance since day 1. Also with doing this I wanted to widen
    my tires a little bit to improve handling. After some research on the web, using Tirerack, 1010Tires, edmunds and cardomain,
    I have picked out 2 Tire Brands and a tire size of 225/55/16.

Either the Continental ContiExtremeContact $108 each or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S $176 each.

According to TireRack.com the 225's are almost a perfect upgrade.

Stock Tire - 205/60R16 Replacement Tires - 225/55R16

Section Width: 8.07 in 205 mm Section Width: 8.85 in 225 mm
    Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm
    Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in Rim Width Range: 6 - 8 in
    Overall Diameter: 25.68 in 652.27 mm Overall Diameter: 25.74 in 653.79 mm
    Sidewall Height: 4.84 in 122.93 mm Sidewall Height: 4.87 in 123.69 mm
    Radius: 12.84 in 326.13 mm Radius: 12.87 in 326.89 mm
    Circumference: 80.67 in 2049.0 mm Circumference: 80.86 in 2053.8 mm
    Revs per Mile: 809.9 Revs per Mile: 808.0
    Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h Speedometer1: 59.8 mph 99.7 km/h

Speedometer Difference: 0.235% too slow
    Diameter Difference: 0.24%

My stock Bridgestone tires is 22 lbs each. The Contis are 22 lbs as well 400 A A and the Pilots are 25 lbs 400 AA A UTQG.

Any advice? It might be obvious that the Pilot is a better tire, but the Conti is cheaper and the same weight as my stock tire.
    How much of an impact is weight for a tire? Are the 225's too wide or will they rub? Are there any other problems I might have?
    I have read negatives for both tires online.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I put Michelin Microedge 235/16/65 on my Accord V4 last fall...work great and their wet/snow handling is super. Got them at Sears...warranty is 80,000 miles. But then I am old and cautious about tires and other safety parts.
  • Options
    dhoffdhoff Member Posts: 282
    I have an 05 Accord 4 cylinder automatic. We had a pretty warm day here in my neck of the woods yesterday... 90 degrees F. and humid, not that hot by standards in other parts of the country.

Wearing shorts, sandals & a t-shirt, with the air fully cranked up, and after driving 1/2 hour or so, the cabin never got what I'd call cool, just less hot. The air coming from the vents was not what I'd call cold, just cool.

My car is still under warranty, so I will probablly take it in. Before doing so I'd like to hear from other owners, does your a/c put out COLD air when it's hot outside? Or is this just the way it is?

Dave