Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently gone to a dealership expecting to find/purchase a cheap new (not used) sedan and found it to be more expensive than expected? Or did you even end up purchasing a new SUV because it ended up being a similar price to a new sedan?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, February 14 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Neat picture if it is real. Toyota does not tell us everything that they are planning on building but I haven't heard even a rumor of a crew cab Tundra. OTOH, I didn't hear about the 4 door Tacoma until about 10 weeks ago either. Now I have pictures and preliminary specs on that one so I wouldn't put it past Toyota to have a crew cab in the works.

On another note, our resident "farmer" likes to point out that the Tundra has the transfer case and transmission of a T100 and the differential of a Tacoma. Have you ever heard of problems with any one of these components? I didn't think so. Toyota uses what has proven to work and there is not shame in that no matter what is came from.
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    They are taking driveline components from lighter duty vehicler and putting them on heavier vehicles that wil probably be put to harder use.
    Kinda like If Ford decided to save money by putting several components from the Ranger on F150's. Compact truck guts doin full sized truck work? Or maybe Toyota never intended for the Tundra to take the load full sized work trucks take. Now there's a novel idea. Maybe they knw Tundras would be used mostly for light duty recreaional needs and so owners wouldn't have to pay for delivery. Whoa, there's a concept.
    ...the Tacoma and T100 have/had stronger components than it needs at least in the transfer case, transmission and differential. I have no idea but all I know is the Tundra does everything I need it to do.

In fact, I finally got a chance to tow the new boat this past weekend. This thing weights around 4200 pounds on the trailer and the Tundra handled it perfectly. It was rock solid with no sway. Acceleration was better than expected. I was able to merge and pass with no problems. Braking was strong with no fade(of course disc brakes on both trailer axles don't hurt there). I wont say I couldn't even feel the trailer but I really didn't feel a drastic change from being unloaded.

I realize that 4200 pounds is not the most heavy duty use but it is as much as I will ever use. After seeing how it handled this job, I have every confidence that it can handle much more.
  • ferris47ferris47 Posts: 131
    I understand the argument of having lighter truck components in a "Full Sized" truck but fact is everyone who uses this argument against the Tundra is speculating just as much as we as Tundra drivers speculate about their reliability. We won't know if these components will hold up for quite a few years. Personally I think Toyota tends to over engineer everything they do in an attempt to keep their image of ruggedness and reliability. I also know plenty of people who have done things to their T100s and Tacomas that have no right to be done to a small truck. Shocks go out but I have yet to see a Trans. or Differential fry. I do concede that we are not going to know until a few years of hard work are used as a test.

I do think Toyota developed and built this truck more for the personal use segment. I really believe that if they were going for the heavy duty work segment they would have released a bigger truck and possibly made the option of one of their over seas diesals. This is also just speculation.

My Tundra does everything I ask of it and seems like it can do 100 X more. She only asks for some regular gas now and then and an oil change every once in a while. I love my Tundra. I have filled the bed up pretty good but have yet to tow anything. If I ever do I will be sure to post what happens. I have no problem posting the good and bad as these forums should give people some real information now and then.

I just hit 8000 miles and my MPG seems to have gone up a tad, maybe one MPG or so.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Posts: 215
    Thanks for the reply, as always.

Hate to ask for more information, but do you know whether the new Tacoma Double Cab is built on the same frame as the Tacoma Xtra Cab? I'm wondering because the preliminary specs I saw had the Double Cab about 4" wider.

Thanks, again for any help. Wish your dealership was located closer to me.
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Posts: 381
    Them tacoma parts started out on them little 4 cyl ones. Then they started puttin in them 6 cyl ones, and now, them toys be sharin it with them 8 cyl ones. You tundra folk ever eye-ball that pumpkin? It be about the size ya be findin under a sub-compact one for sure. Them little trucks from that big3 be havin more hefty pumpkins for sure. Yep, I just bet that little "over enginerred" pumpkin be lastin a "long" time when it be put to work. Course, since no folks who really work them trucks be buyin into them tundras, it be a while before we be hearin on it. It be kinda like them head-gaskets, sooner or later than goin pop now. Good luck on this one now!
    You're one step ahead of me if you have seen dimensions. From the picture, I don't think there will be any more width. Could you have heard that it is 4" longer? That would make sense since the bed is a little over a foot shorter. Add that extra foot and the extra 4 inches to an extended cab and you have room for a full back seat and door.

The Tacoma is not due for a complete body style change this year. I though it was but I just got a product update on 4x2 and it is little changed. They are calling it a 2 wheel drive face lift.

On another note, Toyota has a new accessory coming out. The new double cab Tacoma will have a bed extender similar to the Ford and Nissan. This extender will be available in May for both the current Tacoma and the Tundra. So those of you who want to load sheet rock into an Access Cab, you now can with tailgate protection.
  • These weren't published when I bought my Tundra, but I'd have to say I agree! And to all you Tundra bashers who say Toyota paid off a magazine dream on baby.....

Consumer Reports......Top Pick:Full-Sized Pickup
    Motor Trend...........Truck of the Year
    4-Wheel & Off-Road....4x4 of the Year

Could there be something about this truck the critics like?..........hmmmmmmm....
    I read my truck be best in them magazines, like Forien Reports, Car Trend, and Yuppie & Off-Road. Now I know for sure these ones be the best trucks ever! Who cares if they be usin sub-compact drive-train parts and such, when them magazines be sayin they be the best ones. Who cares if them big3 1/2 tons be ratin 2400 LBS more on that haul. Who cares if them motors cant be rebuilt, and that sheet metal be waifer thin now. They still be the best ones, cuz I read it was so. Good luck on this one now!
  • lukacslukacs Posts: 23
    Does anyone know where I can find a Tundra forum that trucksrme doesn't know about? I'm trying to find some owner feedback on those trucks, but so far all I found was trucksrme's dirty comments on the Tundras. I understand that not everyone likes every truck but why can't he go to a Chevy or Ford or whatever site and share his thoughts with his fellows. I think it would be better for everyone.
    Dirty comments? Speakin truths on somethin aint dirty now. Ya might want to try that http://www.tundrasolutions.com site, that be the site where all them tundra owners be back slapin each other on how smart they be for buyin them limited ones. This might be more to your liken, as folks here be debatin the good and bad on trucks, more than back slapin each other now. Good luck on this one now!
  • 27jr27jr Posts: 22
    At least there not going up in flames like some
    of the Silverado owners have complained about
    happening at 1:30 am or F150 engine go up in
    flames while Father and son pulled into gas
    station to get gas.

EHARRIS3 - All those trucks and how many years
    they have been building them and they still can't
    get it right. Toyota may only put out 1/16 the
    amount but at least there done right the first
    time. REMEMBER ALL MANUFACTURES HAVE PROBLEMS,
    JUST SEEMS THE BIG-3 WOULD BE DOING A BETTER JOB
    SINCE THEY BEEN AROUND THE LONGEST.
  • Try www.tundrasolutions.com it's a good site and no punches are pulled. You'll read the good and the bad (although not much bad to write about on such a great truck)
  • You still be a one trick pony......and you still don't know a good truck....I'm TELLING YOU it's a great truck. You don't need to take my word for or those magazines. Get yourself out of that rest home and DRIVE ONE. It got haul and alot more...good luck on this one BUBBA!!
    Aint heard of no Chevrolets burnin now, guessin ya confusin that one with this here topic:

Toyota Tacoma Fire (Topic #1783)

This be the one with them burnin trucks now. Go take a read on it, got some good tells for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • flycst2flycst2 Posts: 4
    We know what you don't like. Could you tell me what truck you like, oh and why it's better than another (not why it is worse, this is an exercise in positive attitude, come on now be a good boy and play along)?

I would also like to know the characteristics of a full size truck, is it bed size, cab height, wheelbase, cab size, capable of carrying a sheet of plywood in the bed, or tire size? If a 6'6" bed is full size, what is a truck with an 8' bed and why would a 6'3" bed not be full size?

I know a couple people who tow 5,000lb trailers in their Land Cruisers without problem, ever seen the pumpkin under the Land Cruiser? Ever heard of issues with the V8 head gasket, hmmm?

I am looking for a truck that has a bed over 6' long, has extra storage in the cab (not necessarily for people), can carry a half yard of rock in it's bed, rates very favoribly in total cost of ownership, rates well in the gas milage department, and can be suitably outfitted for running off-highway.

I currently own a stock Toyota Compact Truck. It has been up motorcyle only trails and the like and I have only had to perform standard maintenance on it. I am leaning towards the Tundra instead of the Tacoma because I would like more space. Besides if I want more power and towing capacity I will get a TRD Clutch, TRD Exhaust (or Rod Millen exhaust), and a Rod Millen Supercharger (+100HP and ~+100lbs torque, when it comes out). Pretty much ought to let me do what I want.

BTW the last few non good 'ol boy schtik replies answered several questions for me, thanks.
    Use them eyes on what be the "full size" truck now. Dont need know more than that now. If ya be lookin for a truck to work it, then go with the big3, take ya pick on em. If ya be reachin for the fad, that limited one may be just what ya be needin now. If ya just be lookin to haul 5000 lbs, get ya one of them big3 little ones, they can handle that haul all day long. If ya be needin more haul, then move on up to the full size big3 ones, that Chevrolet 1/2 ton can give ya the haul up to 9600 lbs now. As far as lastin, we still be workin a 52 Chevrolet on the farm to this day. Good luck on this one now!
  • rooster9rooster9 Posts: 239
    What is this bs about head gaskets? And, how do you know the back pumpkin of the Tundra is the same as the Tacomas? Do you just compare the size of them by looking at them from a distance and then just assume they are the same? And about the towing capacity you posted above, does that mean the Silverado can tow more, I don't think so! Now go feed your cows, I can here them bellowing!
  • lukacslukacs Posts: 23
    Thanks for the info.
    Even if you are speaking the truth, this is not the right place for it. You should go to a place where them Silverado owners are slapping each other on the back for their good choice
  • redfox1redfox1 Posts: 42
    In case you aren't aware of it, the title of this board is: "WELCOME TOYOTA TUNDRA - V". Question: and just answer yes or no- Have you ever driven a Tundra? If not, how do you know anything about the truck and its handling and other ride qualities? Since you are a Chevrolet fan why is it you don't spend your time posting on Chevrolet boards and spare us Tundra owners your dumb South Carolina hillbilly ranting and ravings. Good luck on this one now, Bubba!
    1) Head gaskets: If you aint heard bout them head gasket troubles on them toys, nothin I can do for you now.

2) Pumpkin: Check them magazines or be askin that cliffy1 (toy salesmen), for the fact on this one.

3) Tow: Silverado 1/2 ton 9600 LBS max
    tundra 1/2? ton 7200 LBS max

These be the facts, like em or not. Good luck on this one now!
    Ya gave me a good laugh with that one for sure! Be thankin ya on it. Good luck on this one now!
    This is one specific area of a site devoted to owners of all pickups. Because owners of all brands post on this site when you say the Tundra is great and everyone else's vehicle sucks I question your common sense if you don't expect any responses. If you want to make your own heads bigger go to a Tundra site where you can go on about your truck all you want and only have other Elitist yuppies pat you on the back and stroke your ego for being so unbelievably intelligent as to by an import and leave the domestics to us 'unwashed masses'. Badmouth the domestics around here and be ready for a fight.
    Tell me what you love about your trucks. I really want to hear how much you enjoy them and if you have any accessories or performance parts planned. But don't make me feel like an idiot for owning a Ford. That just puts me in a fightin mood.
  • matteo1matteo1 Posts: 1
    I work in a bodyshop for a living. I know that I have seen Made in Mexico on several chevrolet parts. Toyotas are Assembeled in the USA. Would this classify Chevrolet to be an import? Good Know that Ihave your attention. I have had Fords and Chevys in my life after buying my wife a camry I bought a Tacoma 4*4. It was one of the best trucks I have ever had. TAlk about hill climbing try to follow it in any thing other than a jeep and you are in trouble (jeeps are a very respectable 4*4). I recently traded it in on Tundra and would like you tell me how in the world you can even compare the price and the product to any of the big three no matter where they get their parts.
    The Toyota doesn't compare. It's a different type of truck aimed at a different type of market. You have made my point for me. Thanks.
  • rooster9rooster9 Posts: 239
    1)The only head gasket problems I have heard of on a Toyota truck is a recall they had on the Tacomas. And how does this apply to a Tundra?

2)Still don't have any proof.

3)So which can get the load up to speed faster, and which can slow the load faster?

I've been a member of the tundrasolution's forums for over a month now, and to be honest, I hardly ever hear of any Tundra owner there telling of how there truck compares to the Big 3 trucks. It's just plain Tundra talk, what they put on their trucks, new products, stuff like that. I don't know why it's so different here.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Posts: 215
    Here's where I got the info. You'll see that it says the Double Cab will be about 70-1/2 inches wide, compared to the 66-1/2 inches for the Xtra Cab. Don't know whether to believe it, because it suggests a rather substantial redesign.

http://www.autoworld.com/news/toyota/2001_tacoma_4dr.asp
    Got this one from budlitedude3, and he be knowin lots bout them trucks:

You're wrong. My 97 Tacoma had the head gasket
    problem. Left me stranded at about 23k miles. A
    friend of mine has a 98 model. Same thing. Head
    gasket went out at 32k miles.

The problem isn't with the gaskets as all the Toy
    fans want to believe. The problem resides in the
    fact that Toyota designed an engine with cylinder
    heads that are way too small for the cylinder
    pressures, thus they blow the head gaskets. They
    would really like everyone to believe that it is a
    head gasket problem. They are still making the
    same engine, the same way, and with the same head
    gaskets. Get real, are you so gullible that you
    would believe there was a head gasket problem for
    over 6 years running?

The 3.0 22R engines did the same thing. Head
    gaskets???? Not even close.

I be knowin quite a few folks with toy cars that busted them head-gaskets too. This be a common problem with them toy engines now.

As for that pumpkin, ask cliffy1, he be sellin them toys, or better yet, use your eyes on this one. One that owns one of em should have the knowin of the specs now. Look this one up for ya self now, it not be a secret or nothin.

As for the haul, them numbers I posted be speakin for themselves, that Chevrolet can haul 2400 LBS more than that "full size" tundra now. Them little Chevrolets have the ratin closer too them tundras. Best compare that haul with them.

Good luck on this one now.
  • ferris47ferris47 Posts: 131
    Why does everybody let trucksforme get under their skin? I mean first off, I have serious doubts as to his hillbilly status as I am sure most of you are aware he is just a bit too savvy with a computer and takes a little too much care to word his emails. He has become kind of like this sites comic sidebar. No big deal and he, whoever he is, is entitled to his opionion.

I don't let what anybody here says get to me because I have the absolute best truck in the world. For me anyway. I have no buyers remorse and were I to do it all over again I would do it the same way. Enjoy your trucks and let the bashers bash it makes for good reading.

I should write a book called Truck Tales or something. Kind of like fish stories. You know, it would be made up of things like I knew this guy who had a friend who's dad's 1956 Ford racked up 4 million miles on the original clutch or My first truck was a Toyota 4x4 and I drove it to the top of Everest. Everybody has these stories that they have heard and most of them are hillarious. I mean trucks and cars break, all of them. I think when somebody gets a really good one, they tell the story and like any story it get's embellished along the way. My Tundra did so well in the snow that I didn't even spin a wheel could become I knew this guy who had a 2wd Tundra that drove through the Canadian wilderness in 16 feet of snow and he never got stuck. The bad stories are the same way. Some poor guy gets vibration in his Chevy or Toyota or Ford and suddenly it is a bent frame or they accidently used the frame from a "Insert small truck name here".

Sorry for all the typos and such it is early and I felt the need for some rambling.

I have been lucky I have owned a great Chevy, a pretty damn good Dodge and a so far, a flawless Toyota. I am getting spoiled, pretty soon I am going to get stuck with a lemon and I am not going to be happy.
This discussion has been closed.