Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

Comments

• redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    i certainly agree with you, even though i'm just
    as guilty of responding with some of the hogwash
    that has been posted in here. i too come here to
    see what the Tundra guys have to say and am more
    interested in hearing about the new V-8 than
    anything else. sad as it may be though you have a

couple of goofballs that have nothing better to
    do than to louse it up for everybody else. as you

can see if someone posts a legitimate question
    it( even one that's addressed to another
    participant) it gets answered by trucksrme or
    fossil or what ever. then it starts a chain
    reaction to end up looking like a childish forum
    as you have seen. myself personally have decided
    not to respond to these idiots anymore. OBYONE
    said it best, "just ignore them and most likely
    they will go away". i think the only way meredith

can eliminate them from posting is to kick them
    off edmunds, and i think so far they've stayed,
    silly as they are, within the original agreement
    when you sign up. i may be wrong on this. also i
    have a strong suspicion that the clowns that are
    doing these hillbilly posts are a lot smarter
    than we think they are. if you look at some of
    the words they use and misspell you will see that

they don't always misspell the same words twice.
    it's as if they're just coming here to ruin it
    for the ones that really want to talk about the
    Tundra, which is a great truck by the way.

...red
  • rangerknowhowrangerknowhow Member Posts: 25
    well is this toyota's first V8...its a joke. dont compete it with ford chevy or dodge because its a midsize if you look at the specs..not a fullsize and closer to a compact that a full
  • tundrasaursrextundrasaursrex Member Posts: 49
    Drive one you may like it. I did!
    first of all, there's another topic that welcomes

your comment against the tundra. second, have you

ever experienced the performance of a DOHC
    engine? I own a silverado ext. cab LB because i
    needed the long bed and tundra isn't made with
    the LB yet. mine has the 5.3 and isn't a long
    ways above the tundras power. third what truck do

you own right now?

thanx,
    RED
  • john111john111 Member Posts: 17
    Just read #338 by T00Todd and his problems. Have written in twice about mine, but seems no one else has had any similar problems. I made the mistake of buying my Tundra SR5 from a dealer some 200 miles away. - Reason: Tundra had just come out and the local dealers could never give me a price on one. I really wanted a 4x4 but was so anxious for a Tundra, I wound up paying the full price for a 4x2 extended cab. On the way home from purchasing this truck, my wife and I noticed a noise coming from the left rear door that sounded as if you had run over something in the road. Upon watching in the rearview mirror at the road, we found nothing. On later occassions we would notice a clicking noise that turned out to be the doors unlocking, and the doors ajar light would come on. Several times after then the battery would be dead when we went to use the truck again. Truck was taken to a dealer some 40 miles away, and each time my wife had to follow in a second vehicle so we would have a way to come home or have transportation while truck was being worked on. One time this dealer kept my truck 6 days over the Thanksgiving holidays. Another time 3 days, and no rental or loaner vehicle was available. No improvement what so ever but the doors were much harder to close, and now we had wind noise galore. Also with this problem was the security system. We made the mistake of using the remote to lock and unlock the doors. Some of the times:- as at church, at a restaurant, on the street, and anywhere you may park and need to lock or unlock your vehicle. We don't use the remote anymore. I took my truck to this one dealer 4 times, and no success. I finally went to the purchasing dealer over 200 miles away. Before hand the shop foreman told me they had what it took to fix it. After two days and expense of staying at a motel and some $400, was told it was fixed. Occasionally, the 'doors ajar'light comes on. Many times we have stopped on the road and opened and closed the doors the second round of times before the 'doors ajar' light went out. If you are using the heater or air condition, and you turn off the control on the left, it keeps on heating or cooling until you change the temperture control back to midway of hot and cool. I plan to return to the purchasing dealer again when I can get an appointment. This is the most we ever paid for a pickup, and what really clinched the sale, was the first ride we took in a Tundra extended cab.- the quietness and the ease with which you could hear the radio, and no wind noises. Has anyone else had any similar problems. Did you get them resolved? We think the performance, gas mileage (19+)is great and the ride is superb!
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    There are re-designed door latches for the back doors for the early production Tundra Access cabs, which yours appears to be. Have the dealer replace the latches with the newer parts. My 01/07/2000 production Tundra Access cab has not had any of these problems. For more discussion on the rear door latches, go to the message board at www.tundrasolutions.com
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Again, I'll try to explain what I know about the hitches on the Limited. Keep in mind that this has not ever been completely explained even to the dealers so some of this is conjecture on my part.

It is my understanding that the Tundra falls under some sub category (the main category is "heavy duty truck" by the way) of truck that has very specific weight restrictions and the addition of a hitch pushes it into another category. This may have something to do with CAFE standards which takes the average weight and fuel economy of the FULL LINE of trucks. By not allowing the hitches on the Limited, I believe Toyota keeps the average weight of the line within the boundries of what the EPA allows.

This makes at least some sense when you realize that the Tundra is the first truck to meet the EPA's "Low Emission Vehicle" category. It is possible that the addition of a hitch to enough trucks would lower the emission rating below the EPA standards for LEV status. The Limited was probably picked to not have the hitch because that is all the numbers Toyota needed to keep the average for the truck line.

I know this is not a definitive answer but it is what I have been able to piece together from conversations with our parts and service director and with our district manager from Toyota.

The solution is very simple. Buy an aftermarket hitch like I did. It does not look as nice but it does the same thing.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    CAFE has to do with MPG. Do you really think adding the weight of a hitch would change the corporate average fuel economy of Toyota's whole truck line? Would adding the hitch change the emissions of the truck enough to make a difference? I can not imagine this could be true. I guess this is why it seems so strange (not having a factory hitch option on a "full size" pick up) and why it has caused so many questions. There is no logical reason.
  • ferris47ferris47 Member Posts: 131
    How do I tell if I have a true Toyota Hitch, the reason I ask is because I have a Limited with a hitch. The hitch has a Toyota Logo on it, but that is as far as my hitch knowledge goes. The Hitch must have come from the factory because I bought the truck the day after it arrived at the dealer. It still had all the delivery paperwork in the glove compartment. I guess the dealer could have thrown a hitch on, but we were only talking like one 8 hour work period before I bought it. I dunno.
    You obviously have never had to deal with the federal government. If you think things from our glorious EPA are supposed to make sense, tell me why I can't sell V6 Camrys with CA emission but why I can in the 4 cylinder. There is a $10,000 fine if I do even if I sell it to a person who live in CA.

I am well aware that it does not make sense but that is not Toyota's fault. There is no mechanical reason you can't put a hitch on the Limited and I have given as good an explanation as I have been able to piece together based on conversations with factory guys and our parts and service department. The real deal is, Toyota had no choice but to comply with some BS regulation.
    I have no idea how you got a hitch on your Limited. Yours may have slipped through while Toyota was appealing the EPA rulings. That is a guess but the only one I can think of that makes sense. I own a Limited myself and even I wasn't able to get my parts department to sell me one. I told them I just wanted one to hang on my wall and they just didn't believe me. I ended up buying aftermarket.
    I got my Tundra last October so they had been out for a while, so maybe it did just slip through. I will take a closer look tonight to see if the hitch itself is truely Toyota and not just the hitch cap.

You mean to tell me you can't go into a local Toyota parts department and get a hitch after the truck has been sold? Does that even effect Toyota CAFE or other federal restrictions after the fact? Just curious.

Thanks
  • 27jr27jr Member Posts: 22
    I ordered a Tundra Model#7822 with all the extra's
    in March the dearlership call and advised me that
    it received allocation and truck has a built date
    of 12 June and would provide me a vin# once the
    truck was being ship. Does this sound right to
    you?
    That sounds like exactly what should happen. The 7822 is very difficult to get and it probably took more than one try for your dealer to get it allocated. The May allocation just came out and anything on it would be built in early June. A VIN is not issued until it has actually been built.

You will not get the VIN right on the 12th though. That is actually the build week. It can start down the line any time that week. From the time it is built, it takes 2 to 3 weeks until the dealer has it on his lot.

Congratultions on the order.
    I am not sure that it is the CAFE standards that we are dealing with. As Bill pointed out, CAFE has to do with fuel economy but there are other model averaged standards similar to CAFE on emissions. But, dealers have been advised not to participate in assisting customers in putting the hitch on a Limited because to do so violates some inane rule.

Very seriously, even as a dealership employee, I had to buy a non-Toyota hitch and paid my shop guys as a side job to keep it off the books. It is serious business for us to keep compliance with our beloved federal regulators. I feel safer already.
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Member Posts: 381
    This sure is the mystery now. Got somethin too do with that haul, thats for sure. Good luck on this one now!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    If what you say is true, your dealership has moral obligation to put warning stickers on the showroom for all prospective Limited buyers that read:

"This vehicle is not intended for towing, and is not available with towing hitch. Owner installs hitch at his own risk. Warranty work may be denied if vehicle used for towing. EPA fines may apply."

This IS a mystery. Good luck on this one now!
    Folks been tryin to get that truth on them limited ones and that hitch for the longest of spells. If that factory put them warnin stickers on em, it would solve that mystery but quick! What say cliffy, ya goin post them stickers now, or keep them folks in the smoke? Good luck on this one now!
    Your proposed warning label would be a lie. The vehicle is intended for towing and were it not for our beloved government, there would be no mystery.
    I didn't look up the numbers but if you feel the truck is worth it, it was a good deal. Your request was very specific and you may have paid more than if you just bought one off his lot. In stock Tundras will run anywhere between $300 to $1200 over invoice depending on the demand in a particular area.
    Salesmen cliffy said:
    I didn't look up the numbers but if you feel the truck is worth it, it was a good deal. Your
    request was very specific and you may have paid
    more than if you just bought one off his lot.

Translation be as follows:
    That factory really got ya good on that one!

Good luck on this one now!
    Why dont ya find the real truth on them hitches now? That EPA one just dont cut it, and ya be knowin it too. Ya either be knowin the truth and hidin it from us, or ya got the smoke in ya eyes same as the rest. Which is it now? Quit blamin them Feds on this trouble, that mystery be with that factory on this one for sure. What say on this one now? Good luck on this one now!
    I love the truck and it will be the 6th new one
    from toyota. Thank you for info on this website
    and Jon & Kirk. It's worth every penny since I am
    getting exactly what I want.
    Ok, after checking out my hitch I definitely have a Toyota hitch on my 2wd Tundra Limited. The truck was bought last October in Nashville, TN. I feel privledged to be the only one. How it got there or why, I don't know. I have no idea why they are not putting the hitches on but it seems to me it probably does have to do with the LEV status of the Tundra. A few pounds could screw up the trucks classification and possibly effect the claims of LEV vehicle.

Whatever, I love my truck. I still say the brakes "feel" superior to either the Chevy or the Ford and most definitely are better then the Dodge. Discs or Drums I could care less, whatever gets the job done right. Besides, I hate cleaning brake dust off of the 4 wheels on our Accord coupe.

Well I crossed the 9000 mile mark and the truck is just as tight and solid as the day I picked it up. Mileage is getting better, averaging about 16 now. That is very good for all the short hops I do, usually less then 8 miles in town and city driving. I am starting to think just maybe we use O2 gas here in the winter or whatever the winter mix is here effects mileage quite a bit. What do I care, it's not like I bought my Tundra or any other truck I have ever owned for their stellar gas mileage. Sure I would love to get 60 miles per gallon, but hey I am a realist. You have to pay to play.
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    You know TRM, I was really enjoying this discussion site without your presence in the past week or so. If you read earlier posts, and I'm SURE you did, you know that my feelings are shared by many other people.

Why don't you get a life, man? This is a site about and for the TOYOTA TUNDRA. Your opinions about hitches, yuppies, value vs. Chevy, etc. are really not important on this site. I believe I am safe in saying that most of us here weighed other vehicles against the Tundra BEFORE we purchased, and made the decision right for us, which was Totota. Why not go back to your hiding spot or back to a Chevy site and interject your silly hillbilly comments there?
  • slp77slp77 Member Posts: 12
    any word if the 2001 tundras will have any
    changes? especially wondering about legroom
    in the back.
    -thanks slp77
    It be called the free speech. This here Country be founded on it now. Folks faught, some died, defendin on it. Some folk be thinkin they can stifle it, but they be wrong. If ya not be interested in learnin the truth on them hitchs, then that be your way, I for one be interested in learnin the truth on em. Sorry, this just be the rights of this here Country, and that be the hard truth for some such as yourself now. Good luck on this one now!
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    I didn't know there was mystery with the Limited hitches. I purchased my truck in March '00 and I have a hitch with the wiring harness. It appears that it wasn't added at the dealership. Hummm, can't figure why there's a problem with getting a hitch on a Limited.

My truck, aside from the signal light coming on when the brake is pressed, has been flawless! Something in the wiring harness caused the signal light mix-up, but it was fixed and now I have no problems. Gas mileage is improving also. Truck has ~1300 miles.

Awsome truck!!!
  • tskyplayer2tskyplayer2 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend and I have finally decided to go ahead and get a Tundra. We are wondering what others have paid recently as well as if we are being to unreasonable. I made an offer of $29,500 for a Limited Tundra with CK,OF,AB,CF,RB,LA,DH. we live here in Central California. The dealer offered me 31,283. Are we being swindled or is this a fair price? Also, Are there any options that I mentioned that I could realistically do without? Such as the ABS? Thanks for your time.
    Tskyplayer2
    Ya be payin bout 25% more for that "full size" truck than them big3 ones. Is this enough factory profit to be called the swindle? Do that compare of that limited one too them big3 ones, that will give ya the anwser ya be seekin now. Good luck on this one now!
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    Not for nothing but trucksrme has a valid point,for less than you are willing to pay for that Tundra you could get an F250 4x4 supercab superduty which is twice the truck as the Tundra you could probably get a F150 4x4 supercrew, hell for $29000 you could get a lightning I wish I had kept mine the bluebook on 99 lightnings is in the low $30's with resale at about $35000.The reason I mention Ford is because that is the only truck I have ever owned never any problems.Chevy is coming out with a new line of superduty trucks which would still cost you less than the so called full size Tundra, think about what you could get with that kind of dough.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    What did I leave out coucerning the comment box??
  • jq3jq3 Member Posts: 52
    Contrary, to what others have said pay what the truck is worth to you. My Limited stickered for 32.6K. I got it for 29.5K, I thought it was a good deal. Yes, you can get a larger truck for less but, I felt like I simply did not need a larger truck. Personally, I would rather pay 29K for a Tundra than 26K for a Chevy or Dodge. Also, I hate it when everybody has something like mine and I swear there's a Chevy Z-71 or F-150 on every corner!!! Just waaaaay too many out there for me! Though, I admit I considered the F-150, but again I DO NOT need anything larger than a Tundra.

To me the other trucks aren't that big of deal, heck when you're talking in excess of 24K it's all the same to me. I'd pay for a Tundra over the others any day it's just the better truck...for me that is.

I read all the negative comments about the Tundra before I bought it and now that I have it, I can't figure what truck the bashers are talking about. Which leads me to believe people lie to justify their cause. My trucks GREAT!!!
  • redfox1redfox1 Member Posts: 42
    Don't be afraid to bargain with your dealer. Take a copy of all the Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book data on suggested dealer prices and the dealer cost info. You are making a good investment on a Tundra. In the Thursday (5/4/2000) and the Friday (5/5/2000) editions of the Wall Street Journal there are two separate articles on Japanese, European makes of autos. The title of the one article is: Reputation for Poor Quality Still Plagues Detroit". Suddenly, quality is Problem One in Detroit again. Despite a massive overhaul of manufacturing and engineering systems over the past two decades, a spate of rankings and reports show U.S. cars and trucks lag behind the best from Japan and Europe. In the Friday article it reports: Japanese and European auto makers dominated the top spots in J.D. Power & Associates 2000 Initial Quality Study, which also found that the average rate of new-vehicle problems for Big Three U.S. brands was worse than the industry average. Both J.D. Power and the April issue of Consumer Reports rated the Tundra the top Full Size pickup. As of this coming May 25, I will of had my Tundra 4X4 V-8 one year. No problems whatever. Have over 13,000 miles on it. It has been the most comfortable pickup I have ever had after driving Ford F-150's 17 years. Good luck.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Ext. Cab 4-Door Short Bed 4WD - Base MSRP - $26626

Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 Access Cab 4WD - Base MSRP - $27,745

Hmmm. That works out to a 4% price difference.

The Tundra will out tow, out accelerate and out haul the Silverado. It has a standard transmission and oil cooler and a 40% longer powertrain warranty. Seems like the playing field has been leveled to me.

Not to mention the consumer reports predicted reliability for a Chevy Silverado is -80%. It was so bad that it would not fit on their chart.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    could you post the source of your pricing info? Also which issue of CR? Curious to know how CR came about with a PREDICTED RELIABILITY of -80%. Such a prediction should have some amount of statistical analysis and based on a large sample base...this would be beneficial in a lemon case.
    Where ya be gettin them numbers? That factory? Best let that smoke clear from them eyes. That toy aint even "full size", so ya cant even do a compare now! Them limited ones aint got no haul, so how they goin outhaul a big3 one now? And what be the deal on that pee-wee drivetrain on them limited ones? Ya be expectin it to holdup during the haul now? Ya cant even be gettin a factory hitch on them limited ones, what this be hintin at? Yuppies, they just dont be gettin it. Good luck on this one now!
  • 81chevy81chevy Member Posts: 37
    lets compare a baseling extended cab 4wd, with no options

Chevy
    Motor Standard=4.8L 270hp, 285 ft lbs

Toyota, 3.4L standard, 190hp,, 220 ft lbs, wow that must really outpull the silverado

Towing=7,500 lbs for Chevy, 5,000 for the Toyota

Chevy 4wheel ABS, Toyota optional

boy I think you didn't do your homework, yuppies who just want the in thing, man their off the mark,

not really in thing considering their numbers to the big 3
  • egbakeregbaker Member Posts: 13
    Sorry to say our Tundra buddy "trucksrme" will be here until he dies. Like your neighbor/relative(we've all had them) who is so thick he will never get the idea that his presence is not welcome.

The US a free country and that good but, it sure would have been nice if "trucksrme" was born elsewhere(Siberia or Mongolia come to mind).

I have visited this board much less since he's been taking up this space, and I feel that many of the Tundra topics were created by others that were just trying to escape him and others like him.

Lets hope some day we can just talk about Tundras.
    See you later.
  • market525market525 Member Posts: 27
    Yes, we all HAVE had people like him, haven't we? I started to thank him for his earlier "history lesson" to me in free speech, but why waste the energy to type a reply to him?

I too come to this board less because of our redneck hillbilly humor "participant", if you call him that.

I really just don't get where he has an ax to grind with Tundra owners -- as I've stated over and over, the Chevy/GMC product was just not right for ME. If they work for him, SUPER. He continues to beat a dead horse on the Limited/hitch issue. Who the heck cares? You can buy an aftermarket hitch for just over $100 -- so why even ponder why the factory won't put one on a LTD model?

Thanks for the reply ........
  • smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    them tundra drivin yuppies be usin that tundra for jest transportation and not haulin like us chevy drivers. they ain't go not back up vehicle to drive like us chevy drivers cause we need somethin' to drive when our trucks are in the shop havin the intake gaskets replaced twice, alternator replaced, fuel pump replaced and clear tape put on the hood cause the paint keeps rubbin off cause the hood don't fit right. Man you and trukkie are right them yuppies dont know nuttin
    trucksrme is jealous of all you because he can't
    trade the '52 chevy in on a tundra. see when him
    and sis got married pa gave 'em that truck. if he
    trades it in and gets the toyota then he's gotta
    whole new worry. if sis leaves him for brother
    (tractorsrme) then she'll take off with the
    tundra and he'll be the lafin' stock of the
    county. he knows the tundra is one heck of a
    truck and it's eatin' him down to the 'ol
    driveshaft, if you know what i mean.

great, i'll probably get one of his goofy lessons
    of the day speach. oh boy i can't wait.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    ...has the hitch answer. None of you seem to. It occurs to me if Toyota won't put one on, won't let their dealers put one on, they don't want you to tow with it. What's so hard to understand about that?
    It could be that factory wont be puttin them hitches on them limited ones cuz they aint got no haul in em. Funny how them yuppies like red aint got nothin too say on this, so they be slappin bellys on this and that. This be the way of them yuppies, rather than talk that fact on them facts they be talkin out there other ends now. What say yuppies, any one got any say on them hitches now? Be nice too get this mystery solved now. Good luck on this one now!
    I was so sick of reading about Tundra owners saying there trucks are gods gift to the world and badmouthing the big 3 trucks. I paid a visit to tundrasolutuons.I only read 2 pages from the last 20 days.Truck pulling to left unnacceptable answer from dealer-rear window handle fell off 2nd time using it-blue and black smoke on start up-defective front aiming of headlights-wimpy a/c and a/c problems-door problems-vibrations.There was more but I think this is enough.The reason I think most people buy the Tundra is because it has the lexus engine in it but the lexus isn't a pickup truck.I still can't see spending that $29000.for a truck that has more problems than my truck has ever had.
    oh yeah there were paint problems to.
    I guess you need to read the National Highway
    Traffic & Safety website. Those big 3 are not
    perfect. Sure they build more in a year (half_ss)
    That's why you see more of the big 3 on used car
    lots vice toyota. You would think since they been
    building the trucks for 25 yrs plus that they
    would be a better procduct. Not!!! To me all truck
    are worth getting for different jobs. It's just
    a matter of preference and what you do. So, let
    cut the crying and put some useful info for people
    out there instead of my truck is better then your
    truck stuff.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    J.D. Powers and Associates 2000 Initial Quality Study (SM) Awards Announced:

Full-Size Pickup Truck Segment
    1. Toyota Tundra
    2. Ford F-150 Light Duty
    3. Ford F-250 Super Duty

Not bad for a first year vehicle.

On the other hand - Chevy Silverado scored -90% in Consumer Reports predicted reliability for 2000 full size pickups. It was so bad, it was off their chart. The only other vehicle to rate this bad was the GMC Sierra.

Its a good thing that Chevy parts are so cheap because the poor owners will need them - lots of them. Is Chevy labor cheaper too?
  • 81chevy81chevy Member Posts: 37
    lets see, think about the people who get paid to write nice things about trucks and cars

how about I just stick with talking to people I meet, From what I've heard teh tundra or toyotas in general have no better quality than the silverado and from being in both the build quality on both is equal.

But I need a truck I can do work with, no whimpy Lexus motor truck, room for 3 men and equipment,
    so I will stay with Chevy, besides I want to buy from American Corporations that have union workers!

And@!! if the F150 is no good why then did toyota want to name the tundra the T150 and the truck has a whole lot of similiarities, dash etc, even magazines say this@!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Just finished its long term test (1 year & 30,000 miles) of the 1999 Silverado. They said it was the most reliable truck they have ever tested. It was also the most miles that they have ever put on a truck since they began testing. They put about 25K on the F-150 and Ram. Reason for all the miles was people loved to use it to tow travel trailers, boats $ other cars. They said any truck will move your furniture across town but if you need to drive 1,200 miles the comfort and power of the Chevy can not be beat. They turned the Chevy in and just took delivery of a Tundra. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Inteli-choice also just rated the Silverado as the best buy in full size trucks. They look at total cost of ownership. It had the lowest combined depreciation, operating and maintenance costs of all the full size trucks. The article was very short and they did not say if the Tundra was included as a full size truck or if it was included in with the mid-size trucks. Does not really matter because the Tundra did not win the Mid-size category either.
This discussion has been closed.