Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Have you recently gone to a dealership expecting to find/purchase a cheap new (not used) sedan and found it to be more expensive than expected? Or did you even end up purchasing a new SUV because it ended up being a similar price to a new sedan?
If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Thursday, February 14 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

meredithmeredith Posts: 577
edited March 2014 in Toyota
This topic is a continuation of Topic 1468....

Welcome Toyota Tundra - IV. Please continue these
discussions here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• I never claimed to be a writer or the worlds best speller. I "DO" know the correct spelling of these words, but I am often in a hurry and don't care to take the time on a non-business and very much informal bbs setting, to spell check or take the time to double check these things. I have never had any one but the a--holes of this board point these slights out to me. Must be that your one of them a--holes and there is no need for me to elaborate anything further with you anyway.
    You must live in California. I lived there for several years while in the service. They were all stuffy little twirps and had the same attitude that you present by correcting my spelling and grammar.

Thing is, what is really funny, I probably have way more education than you do!

I don't really care about your stupid and pointless article, "regardless" or "irregardless" of anything! Have fun driving your Tundra. After all, you did pay a pretty penny for less truck, to fill the pockets of all those superior Management types at Toyota that you speak of.
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Posts: 1,006
    Come on Bud,
    You love the guys on this board. After all, normal people avoid those they can't stand.
  • redfox1redfox1 Posts: 42
    In your Tundra V, Msg # 1 post, you finally spoke the the truth when you said you were neither a speller or a writer. Too bad you couldn't be as truthful about your truck experiences. You never did answer the question why you spend all your time on TUNDRA message boards when you don't own a Tundra and only drive GMC vehicles. Your jealousy sure comes thru loud and clear.
  • Whats wrong Sanford? Bad day driving the ole Tundra? Don't worry, your Tundra will always have a place at the Salvage Palace.
  • jray38jray38 Posts: 9
    In the Tundra owner's manual, it points out that you can burn 87 Octane gasoline, and then also points out that it should be 91 Research Octane Number or something like that. I don't have the manual in front of me. Can anyone please explain what the meaning of 91 Research Octane Number vs 87 Octane is. Your help greatly appreciated as I sure wouldn't want to ruin this beautiful Tundra engine.
  • bob259bob259 Posts: 280
    Simple look at the pump when you fill up next time. 87 Octane - Regular, 91 Octane Premium and 20 cents a gallon more then regular.
  • arkie6arkie6 Posts: 198
    87 Pump octane is equivalent to 91 Research Octane. Pump Octane = R+M/2, where R=Research Octane and M=Motor Octane. The Tundra requires regular unleaded 87 octane.
  • tuck4tuck4 Posts: 25
    I know I am coming in with this topic a little late in the season and it might have been covered already ( I did not read all the previous posts )
    Snoway out of Hartford WI make a plow setup for the Tundra, I had one installed two months ago.
    It is a 7'6" unit with a poly blade. I also bought a metal moldboard for the early part of winter before things get frozen. It is also has an option that puts 300 psi of down pressure on the blade that makes up for the lighter blade. I have used this plow for snows up to 12" so far and have had no problems moving snow with this truck.Snoway does have a web site if anybody is interested
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Wow, did I strike a nerve? I didn't mean to start a name calling session nor did I intend to start a discussion of educational levels nor the impact of where a person lives in relation to attitude. In case you are interested, I too have lived in CA and now reside in VA. I can say from personal experience that Californians are far less uppity than people living near our nation's capital.

I'm sorry you're so touchy about being corrected on anything. I guess its a good thing you didn't get that article or you would really blow a gasket.

Now that all the name calling has been started, can I point out that it was you who demanded good reasons for liking the Tundra? You wanted real information and not just anecdotal information. Now, you are refusing to be sent objective information on Toyota versus GM. That aversion to information doesn't seem to match that Masters degree you imply you have.
  • Never claimed to have a Masters degree. Never claimed that I remember to have any degree. Maybe I will just leave you guessing.

The thing is, your article talks about Management and political issues that are irrelevant to the arguement that Toyotas are no more reliable or better made than any of the big three truck makes.

I don't need to read it. It will not persuade my mind about the trucks themselves in the least bit.
    GM has teamed with Toyota on several vehicle "DESIGNS", not just revenues, etc. GM also owns part in Subaru (very well known for reliability). They will soon own part in Honda ( I guess you will then say that Honda's are not reliable). They have teamed with Isuzu for the diesels. In the past, GM sold engines to Chrysler Jeep for some of the Jeep lines. Lets see, how much stock or partnership does Toyota have in anything but Toyota? I can't say for sure, but I have not heard or read of anything.

Toyota buy GM? What a joke. If they pooled every cent they have, they wouldn't have the funds available.
  • bluebeastbluebeast Posts: 261
    Wasn't it the Americans that went over to Japan after the war to show the Japanese how to build things? Also, it is my personal observation that over the last 50 years or so the Japanese take an American design and make it better. Thus making American companies having to think of the idea, develop the idea, put it into the market and then have the Japanese "steal" the product and regergitate a "new" version of basically the same product at a cheaper cost. Why the cheaper cost? BECAUSE THEY HAD THE AMERICANS SWALLOW ALL THE R&D COST!! Think how much bigger the BIG3 & other American companies would be if there was truly a fair trade agreement with Japan. GM ought to buy Honda & Toyota, probably still have 50-60Million left over.
  • bigboy3bigboy3 Posts: 22
    The more posts you make in these topics the less sense you make. Your credibility is diminishing every time you posts in the tundra topics. For some unknown reason you think people have to know how & why there vehicles operate. FYI majority of people could care less about the details of how their vehicles function. The key, is that they get them where they are going in a comfortable fashion and they meet their needs without having to take them to the shop for constant repairs. If you think you are going to convince any educated person with any sense whatsoever that GM
    makes quality vehicles, you are only fooling yourself. I have owned 27 vehicles in the last 20 years, with 13 of them being domestic & 14 imports. NO COMPARISON IN RELIABILITY OR QUALITY. Every GM or Ford product I have owned begins to fall apart at 40k miles.ie(water pumps, alternators, door handles falling off, etc.) This is not a narrowed minded opinion, this is fact. Just because Consumer Reports publishes unbiased facts that are totally opposite of your opinion is no reason to trash them. Your opinion is based on the ownership of 2 Toyotas, get real. You are clueless if you think you can base an overall opinion on your bad experiences.
    You hypothesized that you have more education than I which means you would need more than two BA degrees. My apologies on assuming a Masters.

Keep up the pertinent postings. You really add to the discussion.

Really... I'm not joking... Well maybe a little.
  • smcpherrsmcpherr Posts: 114
    Theres a guy in topic 1664 who says that A dealer he has talked to on the phone states that the Tundra is available with a Limited Slip, and that the dealer says this is not a mistake with the locker and I believe the dealer said the LSD is available with the locker. Is this true?
    Cliffy1.... please don't stoop to their level. There are a few Rebel Rousers in all the Forums, and while this one has more then it's fair share, I hope we don't start stooping to their level. Ignore them....

It's hard to do but we have to keep in mind if we all had the same tastes and needs there would only be manufacture, not dozens. Which by the way gives us as the consumer a choice.... how we exercise that choice is up to us. (Now that said.... Screw those who don't agree with that free choice, whether it be a GM, Toyota or other)
  • ferris47ferris47 Posts: 131
    I recently went home to Maryland and while driving on 695, the Baltimore beltway, I was shocked to see two white, Baltimore county Tundra work trucks. They were access cab, I assume SR5 2wds. I can't believe a local government is using Forgein vehicles. I assume they are testing they are probably testing out to see how they do. I just thought it was kind of cool. I wonder if Toyota is pursuing the fleet market at all?
  • bluebeastbluebeast Posts: 261
    I think the only "Screw" in this forum is the one loose in your head. Rebel rousers are the ones that make you think, is that why your afraid?
    It is absolute false to claim the the Tundra has or is available with a limited slip differential. The person in question probably found a brainless salesman who doesn't even know what one is. Unfortunately, there are plenty of those out there. The Tundra has neither a LSD nor a locker.

I'll go check out this topic. These are great trucks but we certainly don't need to be making stuff up about them.
  • Big boy in little truck. Here's some news. I could care less what you think about my credibility. Do you really think that I try to gain any credibility with the likes of you???

If you have had to own twenty seven vehicles in your lifetime, sounds like you are too stupid to know what you buy.

Tell me, if you have had to buy 14 imports, why the hell do you care about longevity or reliability. You don't keep anything long enough to break. It is you that loses credibility. 27 vehicles sounds like a big story to me.
  • You are absolutley correct about the US building up Japan and teaching them all the technology. Mention that to the Toyota lovers and you open a whole can of spew.
  • redfox1redfox1 Posts: 42
    I received this recall notice in the mail yesterday. According to the notice, the plastic bulb socket in certain rear combination lamps (includes stop lamp) may not have been molded properly in certain 2000 Model year Tundras. This could cause a reduction in the bulb retention force in use. In the worst case, the bulb could fall out of the socket resulting in an inoperative stop lamp. Has anyone else received this notice and has anyone had this problem? I called the local Toyota dealer that I purchased the truck from and though they hadn't heard of this issue, they will do the replacement on March 8. I will see if I can keep the old bulbs to examine them , since years ago I worked with plastic molding processes. Might be interesting.
  • Isn't the whole Tundra truck made of plastic???
  • Hey guy who names himself after a cheap beer, if you are not going to add something constructive, GGOOO AWWAYY!!!
  • rphronrphron Posts: 21
    Where is this forum?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Now that is an original!! LOL! Actually cheap beer is more like Old Milwaukee or Hamms.
    Bluebeast, it's not me that's scared it appears to be those, like yourself and some others, that think that what they are driving is the only choice for everyone and if you don't drive what I drive you are uninformed.

Like I said before I like all types and makes of vehicles, although I would not include, Hundi, Dawoo, Yugo's in that group, I for the most part would get bored with cars and trucks if we didn't have a choice and difference to choose from.

I'm not going to get into the reverse engineering discussion because it's true..... however it's true for ALL manufactures. Some are better at succeeding then others though, Nuff said. Oh one more thought, if you think the Big 3 didn't pick apart the Japanese manufacturing process when they were being outsold about 10 years back. you've been in the sun to long. All US companies, including yours and mine, studied the Japanese business model and tried to copy it.

I know this will tick off BLD, but we should be thankful the trade deficit made it possible for them and others to start manufacturing here and give us the jobs Vs importing everything. What would unemployeement be in the US if Toyota, MB, BMW and others pulled out tomorrow, what would it do the economy.... and the story can go on an on for both sides. Let's just be tankful of what we got and that we have a choice and are not all driving Checkers in your basic Yellow (But all the back seat room in a Checker would be fun)
    Hey guys,
    I think a name change would be appropriate for Bud Light Dude. "BIG MOUTH STERLING" would fit the bill. What you think? Do I hear a second. A big quantity comes out of the mouth but the quality is terrible. (Just having a little fun, no offense intended)
    did you catch the comment from BLD about the whole truck being made of plastic? he obviously hasn't heard the news that GM will have plastic beds next year.
    By the way, I travel over 100,000 miles a year in my job, so owning 27 vehicles over a 20 year period is not stupid nor impossible as you implied. I am much more qualified to make an objective evaluation of vehicles than you ever dreamed. Never [non-permissible content removed]-U-ME anything!
This discussion has been closed.