Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota Crew Cab - IV

Comments

• andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    Be careful what you ask for.........

guanner, I am not familiar with the Neon controls (thankfully), but I suspect the answer is no.

The a/c compressor issue has been discussed at length so I won't go there again, but the controls are a rotary switch with (from memory) the following settings:

Off
    Max A/C
    A/C and face vents
    Feet and face
    Feet
    Face
    Face and windscreen
    Windscreen

The power is another rotary switch with settings 1 through 4
  • cyberdad2cyberdad2 Member Posts: 13
    I happen to be looking at 'for sale' trucks sitting in one of those commuter parking lots (aka - used auto lot) and struck up a conversation with a fellow that seemed to know what he liked in trucks, and I asked him about the standard towing abilities of trucks (without adding on towing packages, etc. - just using the stock options that came standard, eg. bumper ball).

He gave me that 'you must be a newbie' half cocked smile and said that bumpers are for standing on, not towing or crash protection.

Does anyone (or, doesn't everyone) have an opinion regarding needs for towing add-ons if a Quad Owner would only tow a 12 ft U-Haul, small open trailer, or maybe a pop-up camper down the road? What is a ball on the bumper good for?

Thanks for your help!
    Cyberdad2

PS - Baby had first birthday last weekend! We combined Memorial Day Party, B-day Party, and my Master's Graduation into one big wet & cold affair. Weather is wild in MD, USA this year. Friday is supposed to be in the 90's. Whew!
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    Forgot exactly WHO was interested in the Fold-a-Cover install, but thought I'd post impressions and stats on the "home-install."

It's a great cover, and has gleaned the attention of "soft cover" owners around here!

Installation required about 5.5 hours total with help from the wife. We deferred judgement on installing the back (tailgate) lock for now, as security is not a real concern for us here.

It's a wonderfully tight unit! While I can see that we'll need to apply lubricant to the "piano hinges" regularly -- especially during the winter months.

Aside from that, we're delighted with its performance!

If anyone desires digital photos of the unit and its operation via e-mail, I'll be happy to supply!
    Well congratulations to you and baby.

No 'you must be new' look here, I promise.

The bumper ball hitch mount is OK for occasional light hauling - what is occasional, well once a month for a few miles. What is light, well, the truck bumper should have a rating on it - probably on the top and fairly close to the hitch mount. You need to make sure that you stay within the tongue and total weight ratings.

Of course U-haul might not even let you tow like that, some of them can be a bit funny, but if it is a light application they probably won't be too bothered.

I would stress though, that I wouldn't be happy towing any weight, even inside the rating, for any disatnce using the bumper mount - but then I'm paranoid.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Spike, the waters here are perfectly safe polution wise now and eating the fish is not a problem. Catching them is my problem.

Ozark, that's what the computer read out gave me. It went down to 19.something, but I was traveling in horrendous traffic in Philadelphia.

Andy Jordan, I am happy that you were so attracted to the girl in the Dakota on the 404 North. My cousin Morty will be ecstatic. Morty is
    a transvestite,drives a Dakota Club Cab and will be happy for a new admirer. May I pass along your email address?

Cyberdad2, congratulations to the baby, and to Dad
    for completing his Masters. Do yourself a big favor, and refrain from towing via the bumper/ball
    method. The bumpers "ain't what they used to be" and it would be worthwhile to install a hitch, or tow with a vehicle that has a hitch. Even a class I would be an improvement over a bumper type.

Towcrazy2, if indeed your bride assisted you (or you her), and you (collective) are still together, another giant step for mankind. My wife always smiles sweetly regarding these kind of projects and says sweetly; "Pal, you're on your own!"

Bookitty
  • bigal31bigal31 Member Posts: 189
    That is great news guys,I love to see progress.I have but 1 request when the club starts up..Lets not call it "crew" cab please? It reminds me of the other "Quad" and that would be that lovely Ford truck with the Fireman on TV.I guess it's just one of my pet pieves.What do you think?
    Dodge Dakota "Quad" Cab
    Ford "Supercrew" or just "Crew" I forget which.
    It's the little things..
    One other thing,I am still having problems with the door molding between the front and rear door upper half where the windows are.It keeps peeling off (almost falling off) I have been to the dealer already and they replaced 1 side and "fixed" the other but to no avail.What do you think I should do?(Anyone)I am inclined to make them fix it again.Is it worth the trouble to make an appt. wast more time or just fix it somehow myself.Can't seem to make up my mind.
    I hope the Gods of advice are out there!!!
    Allen-
  • badassbobbadassbob Member Posts: 78
    personally i think a frame mounted reciever hitch is a must for towing anything outside a light ganden trailer(i.e. 4'x6'MAX)...

On the other hand, i didnt like the open-tube look of the MOPAR hitch and opted NOT to order the factory towing package...All open style recievers ive seen rust badly after about 2-3 years...I bought a Class III/IV Reese one piece welded closed style(Pt# 44018) for $99...looks great...

As far as the other things the tow package would have given me, Aux Trans Cooler (Not available with 5sp that i have)...I dont tow enough to justify the X-tra $$$...My needs were met with the $99 Reese hitch, and a $25 T-Harness trailer connector kit...Just personal preference

Like i said, a frame mounted reciever is the best and SAFEST way to tow anything...Also gives a limited amount of collision resistance depending on what it is that decides to rear end you...I plan on making a Nerf-Bar Style insert to give me a little more protection...Got to keep those small low cars from running under this tall 4x4 beast..

Chad
  • colbatescolbates Member Posts: 37
    That's a great idea! Much better then the fold down steps, and "Belt Buckle" type inserts I've seen.

On a side note, anyone have experience with the hitch add-ons like the tail gate table, cargo platforms, etc? They look like good ideas, but are they really functional?

One hitch add-on/accessory that I've seen would make a great gag-gift for father's day for the outdoorsman is the Bumper Dumper. It's hard to explain, but thier www site is http://www.bumperdumper.com/
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    I second all those who advised not towing off the bumper. Not only will you be restricted in terms of weight, but you're more likely to trash your bumper (e.g., by making sharp turns, intentionally or otherwise, while backing up).

For what it's worth, I don't think there's a pop-up camper around that's going to weigh less than 1,000 pounds dry. (The lighest I found among the major manufacturers, Jayco, Coleman and Starcraft, was the Coleman Taos, which weighs 995 dry, with no options.) That's too much off the bumper, at least for me.

If the factory hitch receiver doesn't suit you, it's easy and cheap enough to get an aftermarket one, as badassbob notes.
    towcrazy, I was one of those interested in the fold-a-cover. Thanks for the update.

What I'd really like to know is how easy it will be to remove the cover to handle large loads.
    Add this to the list of hitch receiver inserts: a ramp. Looked interesting. I'll try to remember to post the URL when I get to the office tomorrow.
  • tpmillertpmiller Member Posts: 45
    so that was you causing the delay in center city Philly last friday? I left market street at 3:30 pm hoping all the traffic would be headed east. Wrong. Turned a 2 hour drive into a 4 hour drive no problem.
    The wife has a '97 Grand Cherokee and in terms of ride, it doesn't compare to the Dakota.
    Tim, guilty as charged. It seems that the light emanating from the Amber Fire Pearl paint job was blinding the other drivers. Sorry, didn't know that you were affected.

Bookitty
    Colbates, try www.harborfreight.com. They have a free catalogue that features tools, automotive items and household stuff as well. The offer a receiver mounted platform that can hold up to 500 lbs. It is often on sale for $49.95, and they offer free freight for any order $50.00 and up. There is a $4.95 handling charge on any order and
    no tax in many areas of the country. I have been buying from them for many years and they are easy
    and honest.

Bookitty
  • towcrazy2towcrazy2 Member Posts: 337
    To LMEYER and anyone else interested in the Fold-a-Cover...

If you're installing on your own, allow about 5-6 hours of applied time. The instructions are very good, and the unit itself is of quality construction.

Of course, we always "wonder" whether we might have found something "better." Yet, we "pay the price and take our chances"...

Very happy with the entire unit so far!
  • tecknoteckno Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone found a source for a bed mat that fits the QC? I am looking for a simple rubber mat that fits the bed floor (Mopar sells one for $150, but they are available from aftermarket supliers, for other trucks, at $60-$70.)

A related question: Does anyone know the relationship between the front and rear of the QC bed and the wheel wells, as compared to the other Dakota configurations? In other words, would a regular or club cab mat (I can find those) fit w/ a straight cut (or two) to shorten it to fit 5'3" bed?

Thanks for any guidance.
  • bobemotobobemoto Member Posts: 29
    Got my Quad Cab! 4.7L, auto, part-time 4x4, Sport Plus (includes tire & handling, light group, AC, foglamps, 136amp alternator), cruise control, tilt steering, ABS, anti-spin differential, 6x9 power & heated mirrors, heavy duty engine cooling (and transmission cooler), CD, leather steering wheel. I didn't explicitly get the heavy duty service group, but seem to have everything but the bigger battery. (I even have a power steering cooler.)

Most everything seems fine: no funny engine speed changes, no multi-clunks, no racheting, no ejecto-ing transmission dipstick (yet), good bed alignment (measured). The only thing is, I don't have an on/off control for the heated mirrors!

towcrazy2, I'll take the Fold-A-Cover pictures if it's no trouble.
  • tsopranotsoprano Member Posts: 15
    I have been out of town and have'nt posted in awhile.It's good to see this forum still cranking out good and informative discussions.Does anybody have pictures of their quad with their aftermarket goodies installed.I'd love to see all of the different quads that have been discussed in this forum.Their seem to be alot of people adding aftermarket products to enhance the looks and performance.Let's see the end product of some of these.I really want to see that amber fire.I may have to put sunglasses on though.By the way Texaszach are you really Zach Thomas from Pampa,Texas that plays for the Miami Dolphins?Enquiring minds would like to know.
  • 76quad76quad Member Posts: 4
    Just had a chance to get up to date with the forum.

Please send or post picture of the Safari Bar install when completed. E-mail avialable in profile.

Tom

PS Had a black over-rail Rhino-Lining installed on my Pat. Blue Quad, looks great.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    I shortened a bed mat that fit a 93 Dakota CC and it fit the Quad almost perfectly. The difference is where the gas filler is located on the 2 trucks. There is a small (about 3" wide) space between the filler and the front wall of the bed. The hole that was cut to clear the gas filler on the 93 ended up being where this small piece is needed and it ended up about 2 1/2" too short. I made a pattern out of taped together brown paper bags and laid this over the old mat. marked the changes needed and trimmed the mat. Basically all I needed to do was shorten the front about 15", make the cut out for the gas filler and trimmed 3/8" off the back to clear the tailgate. The bed mat from the 93 Dakota was originally cut down from a mat I bought for a new 87 Ford F150XLT with a 8 foot box before I was converted to Moparism. Rick
    PS I think I really got my money's worth out of the bed mat.
    PPS Bed mat was purchased real cheap (in 1987) from a RV and travel trailer supplier.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    I bought a rubbery looking (dark greyish) insert with an embossed ram's head from Dodge that fits into the receiver hitch - for about 9 bucks. Looks cleaner to me than the big oversized chrome & red ones with the ram from 'MallMart.' Oh, and I like the boat propeller insert - really spins at about 80 mph. Almost as silly as that Talkin Bass. %-)=
    Heated mirrors are part and parcel with the one piece rear window equipped with defroster. The mirror heat circuit engages when the rear window defroster is activated. Heated mirrors are not available with the slider, or the one piece without the defroster option. Heated mirrors are wonderful. Between the engine block heater, rear window defroster and the heated mirrors I was able to move my start out time significantly during harsh winter days. I was disappointed in that I could not order the heated 6X9 heated mirrors as I optioned for the sliding window. Can't have it all!

Bookitty
    Thanks again for the info, but could you also tell me how easy it will be for you to take the cover OFF, so that you have full access to the bed for big loads.

I'm leaning toward the Roll-n-Lock or something like it because it's easy to get full (or almost full) bed access by opening the cover.

Thanks.
    Here's the URL for the hitch mounted ramp

http://www.usaramp.com/index.html
  • texaszachtexaszach Member Posts: 119
    Colbates....Did you read the post from early this week where I gave you information on Sterling Equipment? They manufacture frame mounted nerf bars, grill guards, bumpers etc.

Bobemoto....Congrats on your new truck! What color is it?

Themacguy....Where did you get the grey colored Ram's head receiver plug? I'm in total agreement on the satellite dish sized red and chrome one from Wally World.

Tsoprano....Uh, Mr. Soprano sir, there is no truth to the rumor that I am Zach Thomas of the Miami Dolphins. Love your show on HBO by the way!

Miscellaneous....I bought a Draw Tite Class III receiver hitch for the Quad on Monday and dropped it off to be powder coated yesterday . Noticed a few days ago that my cargo lamp is not working, have not had a chance to track down this problem, yet. And a question for all of you out there, isn't the plastic ring around the ignition switch supposed to light up too? So far those are the only problems I have had, I love this truck.
    Hitch mounted ramp - when that was first mentioned I thought - cool, I could use that (this weekend in fact - shopping for a lawn tractor). Then I saw the price - $450 US, I mean thats a zillion of my Canadian dollars. But really, that is a bit excessive unless you are using it full time - guess I'll be visiting the Home depot for a couple of 2x8s.

The plastic ring thing - well it probably does light up (though if you are having light trouble, maybe not), but it is the most ridiculous thing ever. Bear in mind that the interior lights stay on when you get in anyway, but the light is really weak. It is a greenish hue that looks like they used one (dead) glowworm to provide the light.
  • jtc43jtc43 Member Posts: 15
    Bookitty: I was lurking (wish I had a Quad) at lunch and just about fell out of my chair laughing at your post to Andy. The guy in the office next door asked me what was so funny. It made my day. Still talking to my wife about my next car being a truck and she is like a broken record -- "we will see".
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    When my Quad came in back in March, I had the local Century cap dealer put my cap on, and put a rubber mat in the back. He couldn't find a mat for the Quad's bed back then so we put a regular Dakota mat is the back and let it bend up along the front of the bed. I was going to cut it off, but I love how it protects the front of the painted bed, so I'm leaving it long.
    Agree on the price, but still is a cool idea.
    jtc43 - that's bigamy - it's MY wife that keeps saying we'll see - mind you, not about trucks......

I am a little concerned about Morty - last time I ran across him he was driving a GMC Safari in front of me and decided to help me test the strength of my grille guards. Now he is dressing in women's clothes and deceiving me. He has also lost about 120lbs and shaved, but there you go.

Mind you, seeing him on the 404 was enough to ........

No, maybe not :-)
  • ferousferous Member Posts: 226
    Still LOVE it.
    2wd SLT Quad 4.7/5spd 3.55lsd loaded.
    I just got back from towing the pop-up to Canada. I looked for Sir Snow King Jordan, but I either didn't get far enough off road, or he was in his Jag.
    Only problem I have found is with the rubber between the doors coming loose on the passenger side.
    I'm still delighted with the great mileage this truck gets. Overall 20.2 MPG, 16.7 pulling the camper for 800 miles, and 21.2 between work and home. The 2wd makes a big difference.

While camping last weekend, I got a lot of questions about the truck and pulling a pop-up camper. I even got a few nods from the drivers of some of those super-duty's
    Where abouts in Canada (it is quite large you know). Didn't see any strange Americans in Dakotas - stange Americans yes, but not in Dakotas ;-)

Definitely was in the truck - kitty is running a little warm and is undergoing a little extracton work - of all the crap between the oil cooler and radiator.
    Andy-when I was a kid I ate enough of the right cereal to have 50 some deeds, (each one square inch) in the NW Terrortorys (sp?).
    Could you run up there after tea and police the area for me? Go ahead and exercise the 'mutes on it.
    Well, that depends - is it still in the Northwest Territories - you see quite a lot of it is now Nunavut.

Otherwise I would be glad to check it out for you.

Hudson's Bay is pretty well thawed by now, so it may take me an extra hour or so to get there though. I suppose I should be annoyed that so much of our land is being bought up by the southern heathens, but hey - I'm a tolerant guy.

To try and make this vaguely truckish - one of the club features that Bonnie suggested was a meet the members forum. I think this is a great ideas - I am sure that some of the newer members have no idea what these last few posts have been about!!!
  • bja4bja4 Member Posts: 67
    I had forgot about that. I have also noticed that the key-ring doesn't light up. I think the light may not be installed if you get the extra light package. This package comes with the Sport-Plus. My old 92 Dakota's key-ring lit up. My 92 Dakota did not have overhead lights, just the dome light. Any other input would be helpful.
    Well I have the SLT+ package that has just about every light under the sun, and the ring certainly does light up, but as I said it is very faint. I am not sure if it stays on after the overhead lights go out - I suspect not.
  • guannerguanner Member Posts: 31
    Sir Andy Jordan, (bowing slightly)

Thank you for your input on the ac controls. there seems to be more positions on the neon ( realy not liking this rental car) but i'll have to wait to seee when we get the QC later this month. seen two QC's here in Hawaii 1 Green 4x4 & 1 White 2x4 both slt models. no after market add-ons on either.

Scott

P.s. if in hawaii do not forget your sunscreen. I'm regretting it today.
  • bja4bja4 Member Posts: 67
    Maybe it's glow in the dark? Just joking! It is not bright enough to notice. On old Dodge the light was bright and would go out 5 seconds after the door was shut(or when engine was started).
    I was on the Dodge Turbo Registry awhile back reading posts by Cummins owners and many of them posted that the bulbs were burned out when they took delivery of their trucks or shortly thereafter. That is what prompted me to look at mine.
  • shannond2shannond2 Member Posts: 7
    Lotridge (not sure about spelling) makes a bedmat that fits the Dakota Quad Cab to a tee! It's a nice thick quality mat. I searched the internet and the cheapest I could find one for was around $75. Then I found a local dealer in my area (mid-Missouri) who sold me one for $60. Good luck.
  • iwantmyquadiwantmyquad Member Posts: 17
    You might be able to see me smiling through the web :-) I picked my Quad SLT Plus 4x4 up last night. Very good experience at the dealer. I found a few surface scratches - in the clearcoat only - while looking around. The salesman whisked me and the truck to their detailer, and he had them buffed out in no time. All in all, I was at the dealership for 45 minutes to inspect, buff, sign papers, and go through the owner's manual with my salesman. Very pleasurable experience. Went right home, threw the three kids in their pajamas - almost bedtime - in the back seat, wife up front, and took a nice long ride. Lots of looks taken by other drivers at the lights.

Sir AJ: I, too, have the 4.7L/5-speed combo. My engine hesitates approaching stop lights until groundspeed zero and then stabilizes. I'm not sure I would have noticed as quickly if I hadn't read about the computer learning process in this forum. Thanks Sir AJ, I won't worry unless it doesn't get better after a while.

TexasZach: I bought both the Mopar Door entry guards ($31) and the Mopar black rubber (Ram's skull) hitch insert($10) and they look great. Just visit your local Dodge parts shop.

I have appointments Saturday to install a Line-X bedliner over-the-rail and the Leer fiberglass tonneau. I guess I should change my name to "ilovemyquad"!
  • iwantmyquadiwantmyquad Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone out there removed the "Warning - Air Bag" labels off of the sun visors? I think they are only necessary for absolute idiots - not Quad owners. I would like to remove them to make the truck look even better, but I am not sure how strong the adhesive is. Will it fray the fabric? Anyone tried?
  • cowtownaggiecowtownaggie Member Posts: 39
    Well,
    My quad is FINALLY into D1. D/C said it S/B ready to ship on 06/06. I really want this truck to get here!

Bookitty, Don't know how you did it.

To all,

I am really pumped about the quad forum. Have not had anything to say, so I am just lurking in the shadows & trying to keep current with issues & praises.

Finnaly starting to se a few quads on the roads in the DFW area. It's really been nice.

If anyone has a bumper / grill guard on your quad & you have any pix, would you please send them to me? I am trying to decide what to do about the front end protection and any help / pix to see would be appreciated (Email addy is on my profile).

Thanx,

Cowtown Aggie
    Good luck with your new Quad. Lou will just love that truck. I also experienced the engine falter when coming to a light or stop sign, and it has smoothed out as it gains miles. Again, congratulations and enjoy it.

Bookitty
    Believe me, patience may be a virtue, but it is a virtue that is not shared by me. I still had my company leased Expedition, and when that was over I brought my wife's Jeep Wrangler home from the beach. Sounds like you are in good shape. Keep us informed; we care.

Bookitty
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    Can you tell me a little more about your home to work drive? Rural or city or interstate - that kind of stuff. Last few postings have had some really great mpg numbers. Thanks
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    With electric side windows and arms too short to reach back from the driver's seat to open a slider, I opted for the heated mirrors and defrost back window. And I heard about it here on Edmund's.

With my truck outside in humid central PA, I've got dew every morning. Squeegy it off but as I climb up out of the hollow, the vehicle is still colder than the air and more condensation forms. The heated mirrors / rear window are great. Because I back into parking spaces, I'm ready by the time I get to work.
    iwantmyquad...AKA IGOTMYQUAD - Thanks for the info on the Ram receiver insert. I removed the large stickers on the visor, very carefully only to find identical, yet slightly smaller stickers beneath. Those beneath do not look like they will come off without damaging the visor so I stopped right there.

cowtownaggie...greetings from across the Metroplex amigo! Congrats on your truck going to D1 status, I'm predicting that you will pick it up on June 16th.
  • snowedinsnowedin Member Posts: 58
    I haven't visited these boards in a few weeks. I would like to congratulate everyone (especially bookitty) who has taken delivery of their new Quads.
    I too have experienced the stalling problem (4.7L,5 speed) but it never happened before 2500 miles. I now have 3200 miles and it has happened 3 times. Seems a bit late for the computer to be learning. Perhaps I'm wrong.
    A few hundred posts ago there was a comment on how the 5 speed matched to the 4.7L could potentially be hazardous to the longevity of the engine because a: the engine redlines easily in the first three gears(which it does), and b: the engine accelerates easily in higher gears at low rpms.
    The author (forgot who) stated that except while accelerating, rpms should not fall much below 2000 while driving. Could someone please explain the reasoning behind that to this technical novice?
    My two year old neice started removing the stickers but tired of the project before uncovering the underlying sticker. You have saved me effort. Now she did manage to decouple the cover over the mirror on the passenger side visor, with her aunt, my spouse, casually watching. Those little hinges are devilish. I am going to wait till she hits age three and have her put her little fingers to work putting it back on.
This discussion has been closed.