Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Questions

Comments

• akanglakangl Posts: 3,651
    We have two 06 Ram CTD trucks and a 97 F-250 PSD, so far no problems with the new fuel. Most stations here in Alaska have been running it since June so its pretty much all the trucks have known. I lost an injector in mine a week ago at 15k miles, but I'm not convinced the fuel had anything at all to do with it. Our older PSD is handling it just fine as is our 1978 Treefarmer C5D log skidder with a Detroit 353 diesel engine.

Personally, I would go with the tried and true 5.9L 6-cyl CTD and let them work the growing pains out of the 6.7L before I become a test rat.
  • I have had a problem with my 2006 Dodge diesel getting very poor fuel economy, it also produces excessive black smoke and large amounts of soot. I average about 11 MPG around town with no load. I have had it to the dealer several times, talked with Cummins and Chrysler but they all say there is no problem OR there is a problem but they have no idea what it is and therefore cannot fix it. At one point the engine light came on after the truck stalled on the interstate and the dealer said the code came up as a problem with the fuel delivery system but because the light had gone out before reaching the dealer there was nothing they could do. Has anyone else had this problem?
    At one point the engine light came on after the truck stalled on the interstate and the dealer said the code came up as a problem with the fuel delivery system but because the light had gone out before reaching the dealer there was nothing they could do. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sounds like time to find a new dealer. Even if the light was out there's still a code stored. You can check the codes yourself by turning the ignition on and off 3 times ending with it in the on position. Watch the odometer, it will display the codes (example P0514 or P0537, just like that) and end with ---done---. So its ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and then watch the odometer. You can then do a search online for the codes and what they mean. Hope this helps.
  • THANK YOU FOR THE COME BACK RELAYED THE MESSAGE TO MY BROTHERINLAW ALONG WITH THE INFRO I GOT ON THE WEB SITES SO HE IS GETTING SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING IT FIXED. THANKS AGAIN A GREAT HELP.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Been running ULSD in my 2005 Cummins with no ill effects. One thing you will want to check on that 2006 is how long it's been on the lot and if they have done any fluid changes to it. Coinciding with ULSD, there was a new diesel motor oil standard issued (CJ-4) which is specifically designed to work properly with ULSD and 2007 engines' emissions systems. Make sure you get a fresh fill of motor oil that's labeled CJ-4 instead of CI-4 before you take delivery.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Thanks for the information its all been helpful!
  • I Bought a Longblock 5.9L cummins From a Engine Rebuild Shop and had it installed at my local Truck shop.When I got it back The Engine was blowing out freeze plugs.The local Shop replaced them free but, after being stranded on the side of the road twice I decided to take it somewhere else.The other shop said the thermostat was installed backwards.That seemed to fix the problem for awile now six months later it's doing the same thing.Can anybody give me some useful information.
  • kjt09kjt09 Posts: 1
    Hello all, I'm new to this arena so please bare with me. I would like to purchase a 07 Ram 2500 with the ever reliable Cummins. Can anyone please give me some advice, pros and cons. Also will the 07 Cummins 5.9 work with the new fuel offered ULSD? Any information and advise will be much appreciated.
    Can tell you firsthand that the 5.9 is just fine on ULSD... my 05 is the same engine as used in the early 07s. I've been running ULSD since the late summer/early fall, with no problems at all.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • crowe5crowe5 Posts: 6
    This truck has no power. i mean i have to put it in 4x4 just to get up a curb.. please help?? also i have a driveline vibration @ 52--53mph..this truck only has 72kon it ..can anyone help????
    Sounds like an exhaust restriction... could be anywhere from a corroded tailpipe to a coked turbocharger. Have an exhaust shop check from the turbo to the tailpipe... if all that is ok and in spec, you likely have a turbo problem.
  • My 06 3500 Cummins does the exact same thing with 4800 miles on it. Started when it got cold here in Northern California and we initally took it back to the dealer when we saw the voltage meter jump back and forth. They ran some tests and supposedly flashed some codes on the computer. Did the exact same thing the next day. I havent exactly found it in the manual as normal, but sounds like everyone's truck is doing the same thing and possibly not an issue. Our dealership hasnt seen the issue before but then again, it does usually get very cold here.
  • I was just wondering can I get the code from my 04 dodge the same way.By doing the on-off-on-off-on
    I was just wondering can I get the code from my 04 dodge the same way.By doing the on-off-on-off-on

I believe so, but I'm not totally sure. You can try it.
  • pjp1pjp1 Posts: 2
    My 07 2500 (5300 mi) does the same thing...but from a previous discussion I thought it was the grid heaters in the air intake kicking on/off in the cold weather till she gets up to temp. I think there is a section in my manual.
    I can pull codes from my 05 with the key sequence, so your 04 will definitely do it.
  • Thanks kcram, ill bring it to a local exhaust shop.. Ill keep you posted a s to how i made out.. as for the vibration problem i just solved it today. i was told the [non-permissible content removed] on the rear yolk were poorley made, so i was told to change that an dsure enough the vibration is gone..all for a $90.. rear yolk.. hope this solves everyone elses vibration problem..
  • We had one with the same problem you are having. Check the rear end backlash and see if you pinion gear and ring have the same +/-. If they are a 2+ more have them order another ring and pinion kit. Also have them check the housing for warpage/ wear marks on the diff side bearing area..
  • stdbobstdbob Posts: 14
    Try having your batteries load tested. I've had batteries show the right voltage, but under load dead.
  • I have 2003 3500 4x4 Ram. I love this truck. However, I find myself looking for problems that don't exist and maybe this is one. I have owned the truck since last june. Each time I change my oil (No matter what brand of oil) I have to deal with smelling oil burn for about 2 weeks. I have tried to locate any type of leak near the manifold to no avail. I am getting frustrated with not knowing if something is wrong or if this is normal. The truck runs fine and with some of the banks upgrades it is extremely fun to drive. Any help over this would be greatly appreciated.
  • Make sure that your not smelling residual oil from replacing the oil filter. Next time just try to JUST drain and refill oil, Don't change filter and see if the problem is still there. Going 7000 on a oil filter isn't bad to skip one. Might just be residual oil you can't see
  • I work at a dealer that has been seeing this problem alot in last year. Containated fuel can be from a station that doesn't change there filter or have bad tanks. (Most of the time it is people that are using from On-site refuelers) Red fuel, farm fuel. I use fuel from one place all the time and the owner isn't afraid to show you his maintenance or fill rate per month. Also you might want to add a another fuel seperator. Like the ones made by Amsoil. Short runs with a diesel isn't good either,, Make sure they get good and HOT. (Have a 91 Diesel 12 valve with 365,000 miles that I change filter every 6 months.)
  • Yesterday, My 2001 Ram 2500 Cummins without the HO blew out 3 or 4 big clouds of white smoke and died. Cannot start. Their is fuel moving to the injector pump, and some into the injectors. A new filter was installed and no codes come up on the odometer. Any help?
    Yep, I use a truck stop with high turnover and lots of use from tractor-trailers, dump trucks, and box trucks. They don't keep showing up or passing the word on the CB if it's bad fuel.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • Does anyone know when the new 2007's with the 6.7 engines will be available? Dodge said January in its publications but my local dealers tell me that they have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • I heard Spring or early summer. I think they can be ordered with 6.7 now
  • 12061206 Posts: 1
    2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins fuel problem. I was driving on Interstate, engine was warm. Stopped at rest area, less than a minute idling, engine shutdown, restarted 3 times and shutdown each time after running a few seconds. Fourth time gave it more fuel and it continued to run. Came on home, about 60 miles, ran find. Left it idling while I unloaded and it shutdown again, won't restart. Any help is greatly appreciated. Could it be the fuel shutdown solenoid
  • guy7guy7 Posts: 9
    I would like to squeeze more horsepower out of my 93 CTD. Yes A 93 it is still a workhorse,and reliable. Iknow that there is a lot more in this motor then the anemic 160 hp. it advertises. The truck has 210 k on it,burns no oil andis gettin a body off resto.. I know many have said that it is not worth it, but if you do lots of the work yourself I think it is... To each his own... What are some of the mechanical modications I could focus on that would be most effective? I think the exhaust and turbo is the right place to start,but I need a bit more information from people that have actually done similiar work.
    The 12-valve mechanical Cummins is the easiest to turn up the wick of all the versions Dodge has used. Even Cummins offered a kit for it. An internet search should tun up plenty of choices.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • In regards to everyone's posts and questions about the voltage meter going up and down, lights bright then dim, etc etc on cold start-up, my 06 2500 (13k miles) does it as well. I would suspect the grid-heater reason is probably accurate. Also...remember its a big motor, takes alot of amps to crank it. Just a personal theory. On a side note, my truck has been cranky as hell in the cold since I brought it home with 22 miles on it. I just assumed it was a typical Dodge...LOL...Cranky and Loud...haha. :mad: Anyway, I have a couple of questions for yall that have modified your trucks....

1. What's the bolt pattern? (Can't find that anywhere...and I understand nothing about tires and wheels...that concept escapes me)

2. Bully Dog vs. Edge?

3. Is there a Dual Exhaust for the 2006 4x4 Quad/shortbox ? (rear exhaust..not stacks)

4. Favorite Air Intake Upgrade....

5. Anything else you can think I should know what be great.

It's tax return season..time to buy toys. haha

Josh