Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    There's no room for a spare! :(
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    No big deal... Keep a small tire repair kit in the trunk, including a can of fix-a-flat. My 911 has no spare either, and it's got some nice tires. Or... You can always choose to live with the run-flats! Are ya' gettin' the picture? ;)

TM
  • Options
    Thanks.... maybe.
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Tagman, so there you are pulled over by the side of a busy turnpike at midnight in a new 911 with a flat tire. You're with your new main-squeeze. She's a real doll. Her last boyfriend was a paunchy dentist in an S Class. She dumped him for you. You always knew that 100 crunches a day was going to pay off. A pickup pulls up with three good 'ol boys.....

Are ya' getting the picture?
  • Options
    :surprise: A weapon might help more than the spare!! Where is this? Missouri? J/K.

TM
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Tagman, if you had a spare tire , you and your main(e)-squeeze would have the car already jacked up by the time the cretins pulled up. Then it is decision time: do you pick up the jack handle and hold it while you talk with them. Or, do you calmly go about changing the tire while they --inanely-- ask for "directions" . If your girl friend has any smarts, she is in the car and on her cell phone.

The above scenario illustrates something else. It always amazes me that when people pull over on the side of the road with a flat, they stay on the pavement in an effort to save the tire. To hell with the tire. Get way OFF the road. If they pulled way off the road as soon as there was a break in the guard rail and waited for help they would be a lot better off. And the cretins wouldn't stop to bother them.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Why? Maybe the brand is that strong? For a lot of people, especially non-car nuts, the S Class, like the IBM PC of 30 years ago, is only way to go.

You may be right. As much as I believe the MB brand overall has been tarnished, the S is still the "gold standard" as it were. It's the 3 series of the full lux class, the big target everyone else is trying to take down. It's the "you've made it" car.

Now, speaking of resale, can someone tell me why with the exception of some highly dubious stuff on Ebay, one can't find a used Bentley Continental for under 100K? Wasn't the MSPR only $120 or so, four years ago?

A 2008 Continental GT starts at $175K, the Speed is $200K. So unless the price has gone up $55K since launch, I think you may be mistaken about what the GT costs.
  • Options
    It always amazes me that when people pull over on the side of the road with a flat, they stay on the pavement in an effort to save the tire. To hell with the tire. Get way OFF the road. If they pulled way off the road as soon as there was a break in the guard rail and waited for help they would be a lot better off. And the cretins wouldn't stop to bother them.

Good advice. The brother of a friend of my wife's is now dead due to not pulling off the freeway far enough. Location was in our nation's "South". He was struck by a car at freeway speed. Tragic.

As far as the concern over "cretins", there is really no way to know whether or not any "cretins" will show up in the first 20 seconds or in 20 minutes... it just depends upon when and if they happen to pass by. Personally, I don't mind the run-flats on my 135i. I know they are not at the pinnacle of performance, but they are actually darned impressive, and I'm keeping them at all 4 corners.

TM
  • Options
    As much as I believe the MB brand overall has been tarnished, the S is still the "gold standard" as it were. It's the 3 series of the full lux class, the big target everyone else is trying to take down. It's the "you've made it" car.

Yes indeed. And, it's even more than the "you've made it" car.

Behind that iconic S-class is a genuinely terrific car... especially the very latest W221.

TM
  • Options
    Dewey,
    Just another nudge that your posts are sorely missed here. Hope things are OK with you. How 'bout checking in from time to time?
    Best Personal Regards,
    TM
  • Options
    Yeah... my son and I went for a spin in the Carrera S today. Hadn't driven it for a while. All I can say is that it's going to be torture to part company with it. :cry:

TM
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    TM, I dont know what made you decide to sell your Porsche, given the fact that you obviously still love it. If I were you I wont sell it. Yes the economy is in terrible state these days, but as long as you're not directly affected why bother? It's not like anything will change if you sell your car. The country's oil dependency will not change, as even our leaders and future leaders dont really care about it. We all listen to what the politicians say, yet look at their lifestyles. Take Obama for example, no offense here but he keeps talking about alternative fuel and global warming, while at the same time he freakin drives around in a 300C. That's our future role model? What about Arnie the Terminator? He collects Hummers for goodness sake, while at the same time rambling about enviro-friendly vehicles.
    I wont judge anyone's decision, but personally I refuse to listen to people I consider hypocrites. I dont care for those uncomfortable stares from other people, I worked my butt off for my money and I'll spend it the way I want it. Heck I totally deserve the luxury. I mean, otherwise whats the point of working 10-12 hrs, 6 days a week?
    No insults, just reality...

btw, all these hot debates on genesis and other things arent complete without Dewey's analytical skills, where is he?????
  • Options
    Updates, updates!!!

According to Autocar (or Autobild, forgot which one), the new Ferrari will be named California, not Dino. From the photos it wont have 4 headlights like the last pic posted, and thankfully looks less like a Cayman or Elise now.

I just saw the official pics on the new 911 (facelift), not impressed. The new look is overwrought imo, too much decoration.

btw BIG, from those 45k cars, which do you recommend for younger, blend out type of guy?
  • Options
    According to Autocar (or Autobild, forgot which one), the new Ferrari will be named California, not Dino. From the photos it wont have 4 headlights like the last pic posted, and thankfully looks less like a Cayman or Elise now.

Here's the production version in the flesh. Jalopnik has a full gallery of exterior and interior shots:

California Exterior
    California Interior

• Options
    We recently had some brief posts on this Ferrari, and the rear still bugs me a bit. In fact, it bugs me more everytime I look at it. This is a gogeous car otherwise. The rear needs better light treatment, such as multiple lights instead of the single fixture, and the shape of the rear is out of whack somehow. I know there is no sufficient reason for this, but from certain angles that rear has a sort of Lexus SC look that I have an issue with.

Does anyone else here dislike the rear?

TM
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    TM, the rear bugs me also since it looks like a fish with the :surprise: expression on a hook!

The rest of the car looks great.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    This latest Edmunds review of the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 should put a smile on your face. It's very impressive.

Here's the link for others, too, of course. And, there's a nice video included at the link!

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

Aside from the somewhat cheap interior, this car has my respect!

:)

TM
  • Options
    Yes, hpowders, I also wonder why Genesis cant be a horse :P Excuse the pun, cant help it hehehe :P
  • Options
    "I'm still waiting for your review of the latest M3. (When you test it, however, you probably should NOT bring your checkbook, or you might end up driving one home! And wouldn't that be just horrible?... LOL)"

Or not. TM, unlike what you may thnk the new M3 isnt that impressive, at least to me. The local dealer had 1 M3 available for test, G-Timer installed. Had the chance to drive it, sat in it, tried the controls. I was impressed by the car, until the moment I tested an e46 M3 recently, following a poster's recommendation. Still impressed, but not so much anymore.
    Where should I start? Hmm....lets see.

Performance
    Its really, really darn fast. Not (Ah the old 80's syndrome :P). The computer recorded 60 mph in 4.7 secs (dealer said they got 4.6 at best), plenty fast but not so significant considering the 335i can do 60 in about 5.0-5.1 sec. So unlike the e46's difference, where the sedan ran about 6 sec to the 60 and the M3 ran in less than 5 (no G-timer at the time, thus no exact numbers). Maybe I'm just being an amateur, as according to car magazines the M3 can go to 60mph in 4.4s. Throttle response isnt as jumpy as the old one, but its still kinda tough to drive smoothly at lower speed.
    There's a significant heft to the steering wheel compared to the old M3, which is much lighter at times. I later found out that it can be customized via power-steering-assist button. I honestly couldnt feel any difference between the old and the new's shifter (pure manual, btw), but I can tell that the clutch pedal is lighter in the new car. It felt precise, but somehow I found the car less entertaining than the old, a bit robotic I guess. Fast, precise, and more civilized but heavier and not as wild as e46's. It also felt a bit bland, call me old fashioned but imo all these electronic assist is killing the fun. That said, I say its safe to assume the new M3 is easier to use as a daily driver.

Comfort-Convenience
    I believe this is where the e90 shines. Everything inside feels better than the e46. The ride is just as rough, but there's less annoying noises heard inside. I didnt hear the odd whirring and burbling noise I heard in the e46 during the test (the e46 I tested was a CPO but dealer said those noises are normal), which - according to dealer - is the sound of the 3.3l engine operating and warming up. Tire noise less prominent, though not by much. Overall its a much more refined car than the old one.
    Setting the car's performance is the tough part, must deal with i-diot-drive. The buttons around the shifter do the same, but trying to figure out all of them takes time. Setting throttle control, suspension firmness, steering assist, etc, etc makes the car feel somewhat complicated. I wouldnt be so annoyed if the screen loads menu fast, as there's a noticeable lag when trying to access the menus. Once the controls are set, however, the car prove pretty civilized in town compared to the e46.
    One more inconvenience, 12mpg??? You gotta be kidding me. BMW said the new engine is supposed to improve in mileage, it sure didnt show during my test.

Interior-Quality
    The interior is roomier than the old, or at least felt so. The rear seats also felt roomier, whether it really is or just my feeling is still unconfirmed. Fit-finish is great, theres no rattle inside during test-drive. Materials just the same as the 3series, which I find hard to accept in a test unit that cost $62000 (sticker). Seats as usual, supportive, but again, the leather is just the same as the standard model, which is lower quality than those I found in MBs or even Audis and Lexus. The stereo is a sad excuse at this price, offering sound quality no higher than standard 3's, and they dare say its HK??? It does however, sound better than the old M3's sound system.
    Oh and btw, the AC sucks!!! It couldnt cope with the heat during the test drive trying to keep the 72F temp I set, sometimes blowing hot air into the cabin. And the outside temp was barely over 95!!! I just hope other units dont suffer the same problem, as I remember reading about the same problem in a 3-er tested by either Car&Driver or MotorTrend Mag. Carbon fiber roof is indeed light, but a few knocks on it and it starts to feel fragile, not to mention possibly costly to replace when damaged.
    * Another point I didnt have the chance to check out myself, I heard the rear window use thinner glass than standard 3s. Confirmation, anyone?*

Overall I felt less emotion driving the new m3, but it's more practical and refined. Dishing out 62k for one is out, even if I can afford it right now. I can't see where the massive price increase goes to. Let me know if anyone else feels differently about the new M3. Louiswei inspired, hence the format :)
  • Options
    If the price for admission to Equus is a 7-killer at minimum, what's next for the Equus errr...stable? :surprise:

Chances for an Equus vehicle being parked at the country club next to big sedans from Lexus, MB and BMW:

I have to vote, NEIGH!! ;)
  • Options
    Just saw a Genesis on the road, yesterday. I had to do a quick double-take to make sure. WOW! It was gorgeous in real life! Better than the pics.

The car will fit right in at the country club... and might even get first tier parking!

It looks THAT good. :surprise:

TM
  • Options
    What a well-written post!

I enjoyed reading every word.

I'd suggest driving an additional CPO e46... just to be sure.

TM
  • Options
    No cheap, hard plastic lurking about inside that might convince the attendants to park it "around back" with the trash? :shades:

New Car Update:

I was out this morning at 5:38AM on the interstate when I got pulled over by a young, obviously new cop for doing 71 in a 55. "Didn't you see the posted signs?" It was pitch black outside, the highway was dimly lit and others were passing me with ease, but I feigned stupidity and said nothing. He let me go with a "stern warning" as most other car passing us were breaking the damn sound barrier! :mad:
    The last guy who drove 55 on this road was probably back in 1913! Another case of misplaced law enforcement. Harassment, pure and simple.

The VW got its baptism. It took exactly 6 weeks. Anyhow, I got 29.2 mpg on regular fuel for my trouble. :)
  • Options
    He let me go with a "stern warning", as everybody else was whizzing past me going no slower than 75.

Isn't that the way it always is. 55mph limits are really annoying, because 67mph is about the limit to stay in the "safe" zone, and 67mph is just too slow. Most other drivers will be blowing past you. Some cops give more leeway in the 55s than the 65s, whereas others take the hardline stance, and you just never know what you're going to get. I was ticketed for 70 in a 55 awhile back.
  • Options
    I believe the guy was fairly new. What really PO'ed me was he made it quite dangerous for me to get back on the highway from the right shoulder where I was pulled over, as all those guys in the right lane were doing at least 70 and they just kept on coming. On top of that, I had to quickly get over to the left lane a few hundred yards up as the highway divided! Very dangerous. I'm lucky I'm "still here." :surprise:
  • Options
    No cheap, hard plastic lurking about inside that might convince the attendants to park it "around back" with the trash?

LOL.

The Genesis interior isn't up to Audi levels, but it's not THAT bad. Heck, I think we could easily find that new '09 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 right up front with it's cheap plastic interior. Now, before you fire back, I know the Genesis isn't an iconic Corvette. But, it's a terrific looking car in person.

My personal country club experience is that it's not totally the car that determines the parking location, but the amount of green the car owner usually tips the valet attendant.

Bummer about your little 5:38 visit from the young traffic officer. On a mission for some Kona that early? Good thing you kept your cool. I guess Elmer was after that kwazy wabbit. ;)

TM
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Thanks TM, this car is now officially number 1 on my "realistic" dream car list. However, a Z06 at $30k less is a very close second though...

Cheap interior? With this kind of performance at only $100k even an interior [non-permissible content removed] like me would be able to let that slide a bit!
  • Options
    Good review m4d_cow!

The M3 is indeed a looker from outside, especially in the coupe form but personally I think the e46 M3 has the more "classic BMW" look in it. Based on your review since I haven't driven the e92 M3 yet looks like BMW has gone softer with the new one. Granted that it is now faster but somehow that was never the heart and soul of the M-philosophy.

Also, not to mention the e90/92 interior, sigh... :sick:
  • Options
    Heh! Heh! One thing you DON'T want to have to do with that "kwazy wabbit" is have to merge into 70 mph traffic from the highway's shoulder. The car certainly wasn't designed for quick merges!

No Kona. Taking the wife to the airport on 2 hours sleep. Yeah. I know not to challenge the officers, no matter how stupid their reasoning. Imagine anyone being stopped on an interstate with a dinosaur speed limit sign from the 1950's of 55mph, and being asked, "Didn't you see the posted signs"?
    71 mph is speeding on an interstate? :surprise:

I haven't seen a Genesis on the roads yet. I am not about to visit a Hyundai dealer (if I could find one) to examine one.

I will more likely be chomping at the bit when they break ground for the local Equus dealership, right there behind the local country club. Way behind.

When will they ever learn? They can build a car that looks better than a BMW, and has a better interior than BMW, but none of its competitors has successfully captured BMW's driving dynamics. Nobody!

Infiniti did a fine job with the M, but within 1 minute, driving an M blindfolded, I would know it's no BMW.

Now Equus will attempt to take it to the 7 Series.

Prediction: All comparos between the BMW and Equus are won by BMW, except for the one done by Motor Trend, the perfect contrary indicator.
  • Options
    When will they ever learn? They can build a car that looks better than a BMW, and has a better interior than BMW, but none of its competitors has successfully captured BMW's driving dynamics. Nobody!

Back to the questions I asked from time to time...

Why does everyone have to be BMW?

Why can't Infiniti be Infiniti, Lexus be Lexus and Acura be Acura?

What if I don't want a BMW?

What if I want a full-size RWD sedan with luxury touches and less than $40k. What if I really don't give a darn about the blue and white prop badge?

:confuse:
  • Options
    "What if I don't want a BMW?"

All well and good. A reasonable question. However, Infiniti, and Lexus are guilty of building vehicles aimed directly at BMW. They want to put you in a BMW imitation regardless of what you want. See Infiniti G and M and Lexus IS.

I won't even mention (oh, what the heck!) the embarrassing Lexus GS which was being proudly trumpeted as the 5 Series killer by Lexus management a few years back. Nobody actually knows what the GS is supposed to be. It probably should be allowed to die a quick, merciful death.

I think we can forget about Acura. They destroyed the one good-looking vehicle they had. The 2009 TL is finally as ugly as the other Acuras. I would grab a 2008 TL quickly if I was interested in a front driver with lots of torque steer. At least it looks good.

Acura is so bad as a luxury division, they actually make their parent company, Honda, look terrific in comparison.

I would rather buy a 2008 Accord EX L V6 than a 2009 Acura TL.
  • Options
    Well, if you are going to buy into all the marketing and advertising from the manufactures then go ahead, I personally can make my own decision and look through the smoke grenades...

Yeah, the IS and GS are 3/5er fighter but they are NOT out there to be the Lexus 5/3-series. They are merely competing in the SAME SEGMENT as the 3-series and 5-series but with Lexus' own philosophy in them. They do carry the L-badges after all you know...
  • Options
    Buy the Infiniti G or Lexus IS with my blessing.

Just please don't lie awake at night, tossing and turning, knowing for a few dollars more, you could have been driving an incomparable BMW.

I hear doctors' offices are filled with folks begging for Ambien prescriptions for just that reason.... not to mention the automobile engineers who lie awake at night knowing they can never follow the latest executive order: "You must build us a car that directly competes with BMW!" Some jobs are well nigh impossible. :shades:
  • Options
    Just please don't lie awake at night, tossing and turning, knowing for a few dollars more, you could have been driving an incomparable BMW.

Few dollars more? Really?

Last I checked now a base 335i starts at OVER $40k.

Incomparable? Really?

If one doesn't want a manual tranny (uh... me?) and don't like the BMW interior (uh...me?) an IS350 or G35S would be much better choices overall. BMW performance you say? Except the legendary "road feel" (which personally I don't think it's that legendary and I've driven almost every single car in the 3-series segment including the e46 M3) the G35S is just as good as the 335i sport and IS350 with F-sport sway bars and suspension can out handle a 335i but still undercuts it in pricing...

Lie awake at night, tossing and turning? You are a funny man.

;)
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Just please don't lie awake at night, tossing and turning, knowing for a few dollars more, you could have been driving an incomparable BMW. :confuse:

I thought you were all down on BMW right now? Is this a symptom of too little sleep? :D
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I`d rather be lucky any day---That was good news, and for me it is good news to read your `perky` posts....Tony
  • Options
    I had a problem with the service department. Takes nothing away from how I feel about the BMW world-class driving dynamics. Love the 3 Series in 328i or 335i form.

Some good deals out there now on the 328i with Steptronic. But, I would take a loss on selling my current vehicle-too much so to make the deal palatable.... but then again.... how does one quantify driving pleasure? :)
  • Options
    Well thank you, Tony. I'm still a bit, to use a colloquial expression, "pissed" at that jerk of a cop for stopping me for doing 71 mph on the interstate early this morning, even though he didn't give me a summons.
  • Options
    "Incomparable. Really?"

Incomparable. Really!

Let me tell you something: BMW's have allowed me to escape some pretty close calls over the last 15 years, thanks to the great steering, brakes and agility. I may not have been so fortunate driving any of the cheaper imitations. Driving a BMW will make most people better drivers. That's a good thing. They handle like nothing else for the money.

If I go back to BMW, it is because their vehicles make me feel safe.
  • Options
    BMW's have allowed me to escape some pretty close calls over the last 15 years, thanks to the great steering, brakes and agility.

So you are saying that there is no way you'll be able to escape those close calls with brands other than BMW?

Okay...

They handle like nothing else for the money.

With some kool-aid, sure... Is BMW the king of handling? Yeah. By a lot? No way. Like I said, I've driven several best handling performance sedans from the popular luxury brands (TL, TL-S, TSX, A4, e46 M3, 335i, G35 coupe, G35S, IS F, IS350, IS250 and C63) so I think I know what I am talking about.
  • Options
    Driving a BMW gives a decent driver an edge over the competition. I firmly believe that. Other brands may offer more pleasing exteriors and more inviting interiors. I'm glad BMW spends the bucks where it truly counts.
  • Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    I drove the 328i for a month. Then test drove the 335i. Neither had sticks, and I can tell you that my IS 350 is every bit as good in daily driving, and offers Lexus luxury touches at the same time.
  • Options
    2001gs430, you are preaching to the choir my friend... ;)

Give IS350 the factory F-sport sway bars and suspension then it will hang with the 335i sport if not better in terms of handling and cornering performance.

Granted that the Bimmer still has better road feel.
  • Options
    Yeah right! Luxury touches in the IS, like a super-claustrophobic, cramped interior.

If you only drive in a straight line, the IS is fine, but for real "roadwork" nothing beats a 3 Series.

When I have an inattentive lunatic on a cell phone attempting to share a highway lane with me, you can have the nice goodies in the IS. As for me, I will happily settle for the better transmission, brakes, steering and agility in the 3 Series to get me safely away from that jerk or jerkarina as the case may be.

You can argue if it makes you feel better, but it won't change anything, because you, and everyone else know that nothing handles better in its price range than a BMW 3 Series. It's an indesputible fact. You might as well argue that the Sun is revolving around the Earth.. You will sound just as persuasive. Heh! Heh!
  • Options
    Lou, you are right about BMW's superior "road feel". For the money, nothing can really touch it. I would however suggest that a base Cayman is a car that should be acknowledged here.

I do believe that our resident Mr. H is correct with his appraisal of BMW handling, but he seems to be making the point with a bit of "attitude" thrown in, and it kind of alienates those that might otherwise be more accepting of his perspective. Just an observation, but usually it's a result of an overindulgence of rum cake. Nonetheless, he is correct.

BMWs do in many ways set the benchmark, and that's why so many comps include BMWs. But, that said, there are plenty of other terrific cars that aren't manufactured by BMW.

Now, let me just add that a lowly BMW 135i has sparked my driving enthusiasm nearly as much as a 911.

As you said, Lou, BMWs really do have great road feel. It's a fact.

TM
  • Options
    Why can't Infiniti be Infiniti, Lexus be Lexus and Acura be Acura?

What if I don't want a BMW?

Very good question. I like what Infiniti and Audi have been up to lately better than recent BMWs. One question though, for "Acura to be Acura", don't they need some kind of brand identity? What is an Acura? They used to be the no option, cheap FWD luxury brand, but now there are several trims and option packages, and the cars aren't all that cheap anymore. "Advance" doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    If you go back and read my post # 14761, I specifically mentioned that no other vehicle touches the 3 Series' driving dynamics in its price range.

Why do you bring a Porsche Cayman into the mix? I priced comparably equipped 335i and Cayman Coupes. They are: $45190 and $59030 respectively.

Porsche vehicles are in a different league. For me to switch to a 911, I would have to make some serious adjustments at home: for example, a switch way down to domestic rum for my wife's rum cakes. It's intolerable. I won't do it.
  • Options
    You can argue if it makes you feel better, but it won't change anything, because you, and everyone else know that nothing handles better in its price range than a BMW 3 Series. It's an indesputible fact. You might as well argue that the Sun is revolving around the Earth.. You will sound just as persuasive. Heh! Heh!

Well, technically the S5 is faster through the slalom and better on the skid pad than the 335i coupe, so one could make the argument that you're more likely to avoid the accident in the S5.

Also, if the situation is a wet/oily road rather than avoiding a clueless idiot, give me the Audi.

If active safety was the only reason why we buy cars, we'd all be driving EVOs, or Elises, not BMWs. :P
  • Options
    Of course active safety is not the only reason people buy BMW's. It has been rumored that some folks just buy the badge and couldn't care less about the artistry involved in what they possess. Reminds me of the commercial on TV where the guy buys a painting at auction and as soon as he wins, raises his hand again and says, "I'd like to go ahead and sell it now."

I'm glad you like Audi, as I am currently involved in driving a vehicle produced by its more humble "brother." :blush:

As for the S5, again, I must say, I was specifically talking about the 3 Series price range. I did not intend to imply that the 3 Series is the most secure-handling vehicle out there, which in sedan or coupe guise, it surely is not. Given my own experiences with two 3 Series vehicles, I am quite satisfied with its handling and level of security it provides and will probably acquire one in the future, though from a different dealership and service department.
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    LG, just curious. Did u get a chance to test drive S6 before ordering? I ask because ordered S5 based on A5, which was the only available 4 demo. My local dealer only gets specialty cars that r already sold (no test drive).