Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    A LWB A4, thanks but no thanks:

An A4L isn't going to impress too many folks in the North American market. But, can you imagine the A8L in the Chinese market? I think there is a reality to the average size of the people in a given society, and I say this with all due respect, but the average Chinese might get lost in the backseat of an A8L or XJ Vanden Plas. Stretching the A4 makes more sense for that market, but absolutely none for the North American market, where average folks are much taller.

For those Chinese that are in fact taller than average, or just want the extra room, the A4L would make a good alternative... for that market.

I think Audi is smart and realistic to recognize this, and it would be interesting to see if the A4L sells well in China.

TM
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    My dream car is not a super exotic sports car that has a cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars

:DOwning one of those cars is not my secret desire. Indeed is it driving one, or many.

:cry: As I posted once I would had loved to be a professional pilot.

Regarding exotic cars ownership I am much more modest. One of those classic Alphas or Jags of which LG has sometimes posted pics would have been enough for me. Or even an '49 MG TC Roadster. :)

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Dewey

The older Mercedes were quite plush in an elegant sort of way...I don`t care for too much chrome, but back then even with the large amounts of chrome, the cars looked good, and carried the chrome well.....I remember one moder, a convertable that a friend of mine owned, had leather on the inside of the glove box....It was a very expensive car in it`s day....

I as you am interested in the hy-brid, but when I really though about it, most of the miles I put on a car are interstate roads....so comfort is important to me....I get around twenty five -six mpg, and my wife twenty nine on her bmw 5...I drive a bit faster than her, her engine is the streight six with 255hpor 265 I don`t remember, but her mpg is accurate, so I don`t really understand why the 1 series is as Tagman says ( not doubting him), and Howard if you read this, didn`t you want a car that your bike could fit in? If so, you needed the 3 to be big :) Tony
  • Options
    Hey Tony,

The EPA rates the 135i convertible at 17 mpg city and 26 mpg highway.

So, I'm not sure why my 17.2 average is hard to understand.

As I mentioned, a lot of my driving is city, stop-n-go, and heavy traffic. It kills the average, but it is line with EPA estimates.

TM
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Sure. There will always be a market for the MB S Class and the Lexus LS 460.

I'm sure, pretty soon, Hyundai will have a $50k-$60k vehicle that is intended to compete with them.

Leave Corinthian leather seats, slippery wooden steering wheels that are made from unique registered trees in Borneo, and suspensions made from sterling silver Slinkies to those who do it best. BMW shouldn't try to compete with them.
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Why do I love old MBs?

Understated elegance versus the overzealous bling that exists today in the luxury car segment.

Built with the highest quality possible to ensure durable longetivity versus the cars of today which are riddled with the kind of complexity that can lead to a blackhole of endless expenses and repairs.

They were built and marketed by engineers whose sole concern was functionality versus today where non-fuctional features are added based on marketing focus groups. The fact that it took so long for the Germans to have cupholders IMO is a strength not a weakness. Coffee cups that may spill have no business whatsoever to be in any car.

My 83 MB 300D was the last Mercedes Benz built that reflected the above attributes and I intend to keep that car as long as it lasts.
  • Options
    BMW should focus on performance and now what they call efficiency dynmaics.
    BMWs have a traditon of being austere which is inconsistent with notion of cozy comfortable luxury excess.
  • Options
    My 328i is as big as the last generation 5 Series. When will it end?
  • Options
    as you am interested in the hy-brid, but when I really though about it, most of the miles I put on a car are interstate roads....so comfort is important to me.

You are a perfect candidate for a diesel Audi, BMW or MBl. I get 17.5 MPG on my car due to stop and go city driving. In my case hybrids makes compelling sense.
  • Options
    My 328i is as big as the last generation 5 Series. When will it end

In my case I hope it doesn't end.

Why?

Because my kids are growing and they need more leg room. So hopefully when my kids hit their teen years the 3 series will be as big as the current 7 series. ;)
  • Options
    A giant 3-Series in the future? LMAO. That's a funny thought.

BTW, you say you prefer simpler cars... but your future Toyota Prius is actually one of the most complicated cars ever built. But at least it all has a purpose and is reliable.

TM
  • Options
    "the 3 series will be as big as the current 7 Series."

So then, how big does the next generation 7 Series get? Will it at least come with Ricardo Montalban's beloved Corinthian Leather? Now that's luxury!
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    As I will wait another year, I won`t close my eyes to a diesel, but twenty years after having one I remember the smell of the tiny bit on the hand after refilling....Jose gave a good description a few posts back, but I`l keep an open mind.. I might jump the gun as the economic downturn could produce a super buy in a slightly used Mercedes in my case, and I am really hoping that Mr. Mad will be able to get a 911 in his price range....Man to be young and have the Porsche would be something.to behold, as long as he didn`t get in a wreck....It is nice to read on this board that most people who have been here a while, are enjoying their new cars, and giving hope to those that are thinking of getting a new car that the most expensive car is not the only game in town...Tony
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    bmw 6/ 3coupe / MB cls
    Audi A6 / 3sedan / XJ

Get rid of the 6 series, trust me. Bad exterior, bad interior, and its a big heavy boat that has no business wearing the BMW badge. The 3 coupe is a significantly better car. A proper coupe should look better or drive better than the sedan its based on (preferably both), and the 6 achieves neither.

A friend of mine just picked up an '06 CLS 55AMG for a song, those AMGs depreciate almost as fast as the Jag.
  • Options
    I have to say you and your wife should give the next X3 a good look. The current model is perhaps the worst BMW currently available.

If the next gen X3 is out in time, I can probably convince her to at least take a test drive. I'm sure it will have the latest iDrive system, which is supposed to be much improved and much easier to use. Unfortunately, our original post-refresh tester didn't have the tranny issues either. As our departing president once said: "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again".

The X3 is definitely way up on the list of worst BMWs. Still, it was easily the best in class vehicle at the time, which just goes to show how bad the competition was two years ago.

The Mercedes I'm pretty sure will come from the infamous Alabama plant, so that's definitely out. Plus I hate the looks, that weird '80s style angular interior, and the GLK350's mileage is lousy which is a big sticking point with my wife. Volvo now has the worst NAV system in the industry so that's a definite no, and I'm betting the XC60 T6 is going to be a gas hog as well. The Infiniti coulda' been a contenda, it's a shame that they blew the design so badly. I read somewhere that Infiniti didn't really expect customers to actually use the rear seats, and have realized their mistake. They are trying to improve legroom somehow in next year's model, but I doubt much can be done without redesigning the car.
  • Options
    X3 is number nine, thanks to LG's wife!

And to a few other wives I'm sure :)
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    "A hot hatch to compete with and demolish the VW GTI and Audi A3 would be nice and an even smaller, lighter coupe than the 1 Series would be nice. The "0 Series"? "
    Then what purpose does the 1series serve? I mean it's originally meant to be a hatchback only designed to fight A3 and C-class hatchback (replacing the now dead 3-series hatch). I'm guessing the X1 (assuming it'll be produced) will be positioned to fight head on with Audi A2 and MB A and B-class. Those are already the smallest cars in the lineup, so where is the, uh, "0series" supposed to be placed??? To cannibalize Mini???

Among the 3 Germans Audi leads midsize sedan global sales with the A6, BMW outsells all others in the compact segment with the 3-series, while MB is still the sales king of large luxos with the legendary S-class. Funny how things balance even in car sales, dont you think?

"He'd have to like "speed yellow" though, cause so many Porsche buyers get black. "
    Unfortunately I'm no fan of yellow, although I do admit Porsche makes yellow look good, as opposed to Lambo (why give us yellow-cab color?). But black porsche? Definitely....... no thanks :P . If I ever get lucky enough to get one it'll be Lapis Blue w/ brown interior and 5-spoke wheels.
  • Options
    Btw, tag. LWB A4 makes sense in China not only for the, uh, taller than average Chinese (northern Chinese are tall). It's the fact that many people ride in the backseat w/ chauffeur up front, not only in China but Asia in general.

As for the 3er's current size, I personally dont think it's that big. However I agree, this size is perfect and BMW really shouldn't make it any bigger nest time. BMW's share of "Most Ridiculous Upsizing" is taken by the X5 imo. They ruined the near perfect size of the previous X5 to a bloated SUV just to add a 3rd row seat noone can use. Yes the x5 can use a larger cargo space, but the x5 definitely took too much growth hormone :(
  • Options
    Starting from today local GM dealerships are pulling this 3-day event called 4T (Tuesday to Thursday for Testers and Tire-kickers), apparently not a GM official event as I found no such event listed on the web and Saab's absence to this event. Red Tag price if you buy on spot, desperate measurements? I question the effectiveness of having such event in November, right before the first snow falls, but that's not my problem.
    Giving GM another chance I visited the Chevy dealership today, Cadillac and GMC-Pontiac-Buick-Saturn will follow tomorrow and the day after. I'll post soon with test drives and products I find interesting.
  • Options
    It was said that driving a car that much in one year would have possibly a deleterious effect on the turbos, perhaps later on needing replacement. Does that have a ring of truth to you? What would it cost to replace those turbos, I know if under warranty nothing, but after the warranty as I usually keep a car long term.

Turbo life has little to do with just the amount of miles driven. I would guess that the typical life of current turbos is probably somewhere around 150K miles. If the turbos are abused though, that number could be shortened dramatically. As tag said, highway driving shouldn't cause any issues. At highway speeds the engine will be loafing along in top gear, off boost.

On the other hand, flooring the accelerator right after a cold start, before the oil has had a chance to warm up to nominal temperature, is really bad for turbo life. Turbos also need a few minutes too spin down and cool off after aggressive driving before the engine should be turned off. My other concern would be that BMW's current maintenance schedule is designed to save BMW money, not protect the turbos long after the warranty period. To really last, the oil should be changed a lot more often than BMW calls for it - probably every 5K miles. Out of warranty turbo replacement is going to be very expensive. If keeping costs down long term is one of your primary concerns, it may be safer to get a V8 5 series.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, LG, I'll check it soon.

Btw do you know how much your friend paid for the CLS55? I figure the CLS500 will cost even less, or not???
  • Options
    and the refreshed rear is a huge improvement

The new rear end brings the A6 in line with other recent Audis, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "huge improvement". I actually quite like the rear design of the pre-refresh A6, especially with the S6's spoiler. The new 3.0TFSI is a brilliant engine. While the A6 3.0T won't be able to thrash the 4.2 in acceleration like the old 2.7T S-line could (though it would if they gave the 3.0T S-line the S4's boost pressure), it should at least match the current version of the 4.2 in performance, while probably bettering the 2.7T's combined 21mpg. The sport suspension on the A6 is a must have. Without it, the car is a bit bland and boring to drive.
  • Options
    There is not a single modern high end luxury car that I like as much as an old MB S Class from the 60s. NONE.

You're going to love this then if you haven't already seen it: Top Gear's comparison of a 1972 Rolls vs. a 1963 Mercedes 600. It's James and Jeremy at their best.

http://www.dadsstyle.com/valvebounce/2008/08/clarksons-mercedes-600-grosser.html- -
  • Options
    Btw do you know how much your friend paid for the CLS55? I figure the CLS500 will cost even less, or not???

He paid $49K, which is a few grand less than the typical dealer rate around here. CLS500s are significantly cheaper (and far more plentiful on the used market). In my area you can get an '06 CLS500 for $32K, or a CPO for $37 or so.
  • Options
    You're going to love this then if you haven't already seen it: Top Gear's comparison of a 1972 Rolls vs. a 1963 Mercedes 600. It's James and Jeremy at their best.

I've loved it. I've even loved the distracting girl seated at the back before the cars arrived. :D

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...to have to come down from a fully boned Veritas to a Mini. ...

That left a whole so big for innuendo jokes that you could drive a freight train through it sideways! :P
  • Options
    Hilarious! "TheField Marshall Goering Idi Amin Saddam Hussein KillerMobile" versus the "British Establishment of Prestige Elton John Liberace Mobile"

Thanks for that link. Definitely one of their best.
  • Options
    you say you prefer simpler cars... but your future Toyota Prius is actually one of the most complicated cars ever built. But at least it all has a purpose and is reliable.

Bingo! The 63 MB S Class was highly reliable and complicated at the same time but highly functional with a purpose.

The complexity behind the Prius is functional in terms of maximizing gas mileage. The complexity behind the BMW idrive or MB Command is in most cases not as functional as simple plain buttons and dials. The design of the BMW X6 is strictly non-functional without much purpose. "Complexity" and "design" with little functional merit is useless IMO.

Historically highly complex MB's were the benchmark for reliability. Today that is not the case.
  • Options
    BERLIN -- German solar energy company SolarWorld AG said Wednesday it plans to offer €1 billion ($1.26 billion) for some assets of car maker Adam Opel GmbH, the German subsidiary of General Motors Corp., through cash and credit.

SolarWorld said it would develop a new generation of energy efficient and reduced emissions automobiles alongside successful models that Opel currently produces, should a deal work out.

With the restructuring of the product pallet, the traditional German auto builder would offer in future especially electric and hybrid automobiles and the newest technology combining extended-range electric and combustion motors highly efficiently," SolarWorld said.

Tax payer bailout?

Who needs it when you have Chapter 11.

After Chapter 11 both Ford and GM will transform into two car companies with stronger balance sheets, less excess capacity and a far more focused and narrower product line.

Out of the ashes will arise two Detroit car companies that can reinvent themselves and if they cant at least they can sell their assets for billions to various companies like Solarworld or a Toyota or a VW.

What about Chrysler? Toast! Even with Chapter 11 or a massive bailout.
  • Options
    That left a whole so big for innuendo jokes that you could drive a freight train through it sideways!

:blush: :surprise: :blush:;):D

I really was in a mischievous mood that morning.

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
  • Options
    My mom is going to like it, I will just tell her that, I like it as well :sick:

I guess the x6 has to wait for now :cry::cry:
  • Options
    I feel like the front end is similar to Hyundai :surprise:

But I do like the interior, So I guess this could be my next car,

The all-new 2010 RX 350 will go on sale next February, while the 2010 RX 450h will reach dealerships nationwide in the spring.
  • Options
    But I do like the interior, So I guess this could be my next car,

I think the interior is really odd, and the plastics in the lower dash and console area remind me of the stuff Kia uses. It's like Toyota said "Ok, we've really got to cost cut the hell out of this thing, let's try and distract people from that by making it as weird as possible". The mouse system takes up a ridiculous amount of room on the console, and seems utterly unnecessary. What was wrong with the old system? It was too easy to use? Too many people liked it? It didn't get torn apart by the auto mags?
  • Options
    Maybe your correct, but I still think the interior isn't that bad, plus I don't have to keep asking every1 about the turbo engine heating problems of the x6, at least it will be reliable, drive smoothly, not the best car to buy, but at least affordable, no i drive which every1 says is very complicated.
  • Options
    gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    Wow that looks pretty nice. What do you think the pricing is going to be on that car?I like the way they redesigned the center console, could never understand why they had that break between the gear shift console, and the center console. It was like two inches of wasted space.

How does this car stack up against a 5 series BMW? I know one is a SUV, but it really is built on a Toyota car frame, not a truck frame. I'm torn between going with BMW again or waiting.
  • Options
    Overall BMWs are better, but reliability toyota is the best

Comparing a old 5 series to the new RX, I would pick the RX every time.

But if you compare to a new 5 series, then its your own choice,
  • Options
    ... The mind tends to exaggerate when confronted with something new. ...

It doesn't exaggerate, it re-adjusts. That's why we thrive as a species. ;)
  • Options
    ... I really am quite amazed at how much space the 328i sedan takes up in the garage. It is definitely flirting with full size status. ...

What, are you using a large walk-in closet for a garage?? :confuse: The E90 is bigger than the E46 for sure (thank God), but it's nowhere near approaching a full size car. I used to think the E90 was close in size to the E60 until I had one as a loaner. :surprise: The 3-series is still a dinky little car. It seemed like a toy when I parked it in the garage. It makes my 550i seem absolutely huge!

Nay, this 3-series is no bigger than a Civic, and might actually be a skosh smaller than a Civic. I, for one, love the size of the E90 sedan. It finally has a size that almost justifies the price. Now if they could just sell the E90 at E46 prices...
  • Options
    So then, how big does the next generation 7 Series get? Will it at least come with Ricardo Montalban's beloved Corinthian Leather? Now that's luxury!

It will be as big as a Ford Excursion. It won't have Corinthian leather. That would be passe'. It will have George Hamilton hides. Now that's luxury! :P
  • Options
    ... A proper coupe should look better or drive better than the sedan its based on (preferably both), ...

It's arguable that the 3-series coupe looks better than the sedan. I like the sedan better (though the coupe does have a nicer interior.) And according to published reviews, the coupe doesn't drive any better than the sedan. I agree with you about the 6-series. It's not very pretty nor very sporty. The 6-series' raison d'etre is to be a large personal luxury vehicle. I guess it accomplishes that just fine.
  • Options
    ... I think the interior is really odd...

I don't think it's odd at all. I actually like it. I think you're being thrown off by that ugly slab of silver plastic on the instrument panel. That is odd, but the overall design and flow is nice.
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I think you're being thrown off by that ugly slab of silver plastic on the instrument panel. That is odd, but the overall design and flow is nice.

I actually prefer the metallic-finish panel over wood, it'll be even better if that's aluminum

Less wood = good

Aluminum instead of wood = superb
  • Options
    My goodness... I never dreamed the world would be so screwed up.

Evil, corruption, greed.... rampant on the planet, which itself is possibly approaching a toxic overload.

The global financial crisis is quite suddenly taking a much deeper and threatening bite into my business and livelihood, and I am wondering how many of us here are also affected by this. Major downshifting could be in the cards for the good TagMan and his family next year. I intend to get the kids through Christmas before I make any dramatic changes.

Anxiety level = high.

How's everyone doing?

TM
  • Options
    sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Posting after a very long time...

With you on this TM

New Mantra for new world

If you play by the rules you LOOSE
    Sad but looks/feels TRUE

I should have bought 10 houses... rented them out...leveraged to hilt and then walked out of 9

And kids are learning fast...
    Yesterday while playing Monopoly and loosing my 7 year daughter asked for a "bail out"....
    Hope this was not her "own mind"...
    She MUST (dads hope) have seen it in the media somewhere...

On a sidenote..after test driving Genesis to Jag XF...I ended up with 2008 Acura MDX...
  • Options
    On a sidenote..after test driving Genesis to Jag XF...I ended up with 2008 Acura MDX...

Sanjay, that's a great choice, congrats!!

Personally I think the MDX is currently the only model worth of buying from the Acura lineup. That's a compliment to the model but a disgrace to the brand.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    For the second time this decade, I've been soudly reminded that Gordon Gekko was wrong in that greed is not good and does not work. I watched with clueless abandon back in '01 as the tech bubble deflated and unrealized gains went forever unrealized... Now, like many, I've watched 6 or 7 years of dilligent savings disappear, including a (very) few stock options sink slowly underwater here at work.

Strictly on a personal level, as long as the EW and I continue to be gainfully employed, my anxiety level will be at medium high. I continue to (probably) be better off than some, financially, while not nearly as well off as the Big 3 Execs who flew their corportate jets to DC and then caught rides in their Escalades and Expeditions to beg for some of our $. Sorry, I'd rather give to Make a Wish...

On a global level, my anxiety level is also high. I am just so disappointed in some of this human race of ours. I have to believe that the preponderance of the inhabitants of our small planet are good folks. They do the right thing day in and day out regarding family, friends and people they've never met by voluntarily sharing (as opposed to our government deciding how we will be "neighborly" and "patriotic") their time, money, thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately, they rarely make the headlines as do the infamous, and seemingly clueless and unrepentant, modern day robber barons...

Hopefully, and I am hopeful, that indeed what does not kill us will make us stronger with the least amount of suffering of the good people as possible. The actions of the few appear to be obviously hurting the many. I'm hoping that the media is somewhat fueling what is certainly a fire, but they are adding just a bit of extra gasoline and truth shall win out. And, on the bright side, gas is $1.88 around here! But, as I noted above, I remain clueless...

The EW reminds me that had I bought the Jag XK last summer, I would still have it to enjoy, unlike the $ that has evaporated that would have paid for it... I just love her practical side!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    Wood is good! I prefer the warm, inviting, old-world craftsmanship aura of wood over the colder, more modern and industrial look of metal (e.g. aluminum) in the interior. Of course, my TL ('05, not the stylistically challenged '09!) is resplendent in real aluminum and faux carbon fiber!

But an interior full of quality aromatic leather, rich, dark wood and quality carpteting is my idea of an interior I want to live in! Yeah, again, Jag comes to mind... And man, are used XJs a bargain, as has been oft noted here.

What do you think of the upcoming IS convertible?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    What do you think of the upcoming IS convertible?

Let me give you my opinions on all 3 entry lux hard top verts...

3er - top down: sexy, top up: ok

G37 - top down: good, top up: meh

IS - top down: ok, top up: meh

Maybe with a different wheel the IS vert will be good for top down.
  • Options
    Great post Tag,

Governments across the world are seeking solutions they cannot solve. Canada has a lot of problems. But since most forum members here are American I will focus on USA.

Anxiety Level = Beyond the Stratosphere

Why?

There is no ammunition left!

The Fed cutting interest rates? What's there left to cut!

The Government spending extra trillons in bailouts and stimulus packages?

How's all those trillions going to be funded?

Higher Taxes? Unlikely!

Higher taxes will reduce consumer/business spending and make the situation even worse.

Higher Debt? Very likely!

In otherwords the US Government will borrow idiotically in order to save the idiots who got us into this crisis (financial institutions and their borrowers). The problem is you cant borrow yourself out of debt. Borrowing more to save borrowers will only sink you deeper into the quick sand.

Economic Reality:
    Income cannot exceed production unless debt is involved. When too much debt is involved then your fate is at the mercy of your lenders (Saudi Arabia, China, Russia)

Good Luck!

How do I feel personally? Intensely Anxious! A possible economic meltdown will wipe out a lof of people which may include myself. So I am very nervous indeed.