Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued IX

Comments

• joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I think you'll just have to give up on that Tahoe topic. They don't seem to appreciate any comments from anyone who does not have their beloved 2000 model, whether we are knowledgable or not. I've scratched it from my placemarks. Like I said in my last post there, that topic has got very weird now. It looks like you can only post positive things there, anything negative gets ignored. Oh well...

Back to Z71 (oops, I mean Silverado)
    Anyone else have the problem in their driver door when the window is down all the way, where it makes a real ugly rattling sound like something is broken inside when you shut it?

It sounds fine when the window is up and you shut it, just a problem when down. The passenger door does not do it.

Thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Can you answer how i degraded them in that post? I am still pondering this. Im at a loss usually i can figure things out like that but in this case im stuck. Thanks

Ryan
    We all know who has the better vehicle. We have the ext cab which is comfy plus a bed. Seriously that topic makes me not want to get a tahoe. All them people (wait i better clarify NOT ALL a select few and they know who they are) seem to be "better" than everyone else like a step up. Im sure its an age thing too. They seem to dislike me unlike you guys cause i have a 30K truck and im only 20 didnt it seem like that in the one post?

Oh well ill keep reading the ridiculous stuff but im done posting over there.

Ryan
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    By brother's 99 Silverado had a couple of bolts loose in the drivers side door window mechanism -- sounds like the same problem. He had the dealer fix, then about six months later, the passenger side started doing the same thing. I would suggest you have them do both doors and save a trip, if possible.
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Ryan,
    I sat in a 2000 Tahoe yesterday at the dealer while I was waiting for work on wife's Caprice. For some reason the headroom is not near what it is in the Silverado. I wouldn't beable to wear my cowboy hat while driving one. Must be the lack of headroom gives Tahoe owner's claustriphobia and a headache. That's why they act that way.
    matt
  • odenmeyerodenmeyer Member Posts: 61
    I just ordered the velvets from:
    http://www.gearedbyunitrax.com/UNITRAX/pages/newproducts.html

They quoted 138.00 plus tax since I live in CA (they are in Aneheim, CA). They may waive the shipping but I won't know till I receive them.

FYI - the parts guy said they get them from BF Goodrich so they are the same units.

Mark
  • khharriskhharris Member Posts: 51
    Hey all,I got the edelbrock shocks wed and have the shackles coming also have the deal to have all 4 headlites on at once,will get everything installed at once as soon as the shackles and headlite controller comes in,BTW I did not get the rebate info with shocks from carparts.com,any ideas.I went with magnaflow exhaust and am very happy with the performance and the sound,had it come straight out the back with chrome tips,looks great.The reason I went with magnaflow over flowmaster was the lifetime warranty on the magnaflow.

Kirk
  • jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    I got my truck back from the dealer yesterday. They were suppose to take care of the rattling noise I get when going over small sharp bumps. They made sure everything was tight, and greased the shakles. Result? No difference. I looked at the leaf springs, and i can see a gap of about 3/32" between the 1st and second leaf. I believe that's where the noise comes from. When hitting a sharp bump the two leafs bang together. Could someone let me know if their 1500 2WD 2000 has that gap between the springs? If not, I'll have to ask the dealer for a new set of springs.
    Thanks, I'll make sure to get both done.

Ryan, don't worry about it. Its not you. You are right about their attitude - it sucks. Believe it or not, its one of the reasons why I did not get a Tahoe/Yukon this time (for some reason the Yukon owners seem to be worse).

I actually ordered one in spring, and it came in 9 weeks later, but I passed on it after I found out how crummy the lease programs were at the time. (it was for my wife anyway, ha ha). It was going to be $600/month for 3 year lease (at invoice purchase price). Instead I got her a Expedition Sport XLT with off road package. Its only $500 for a 2 year lease. It actually sits 5 inches taller than my Z71. But it rides more like a truck too. Oh well, she likes the high site lines. The sport package means no chrome at all. Its Black, and the bumpers, grill, moldings, etc are all blacked out with 17" wheels.

Anyway, enough about the Ford, don't kill me about it, (I know I've probably offended Tim), I just didn't want to give in to GM's "you'll take it our way and like it" attitude this time. I got an awesome deal on the Z71 last year, so I can't complain too much.
    Which Magnaflow system did you get and where did you get it? Any resonance at 1500 - 1800 RPMs? Is it a catback system? The resonance in my stock exhaust system bugs the $%^& out of me but I don't want to change to an aftermarket system unless it can eliminate this and still be on the quiet side. I'm curious how your system sounds. I'm also waiting for some feedback from obyone after he gets his Zummo system and I believe it was thrashers that was installing a Flowmaster set up.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    you and your gang need to leave 'ol CW alone.LOL

let me know if you recieved my e-mail OK.

thanx,
    red
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    tell whoever that all 4WD do that when you turn....4 hi will be worse...autotrac makes it a little better....but DUHH..it's 4WD turning on concrete?!

Hello McFly!

....and about shocks and ride....when yawl gonna learn that a 2500 ride requires no shock replacement...as it's so good from the start!

LOL

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/index.htm

- Tim
  • bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    Might have generalized a little when I stated that the consensus was the Magnaflow system, but overall, it seems if you want to keep the interior noise or resonance down, the Magnaflow is a better fit. Hell, I've been stewing over this for two months now and I believe I will go with a single in dual out Magnaflow with nothing larger than 21/4 inch pipes out the rear. This will prevent your "loss" of low end torque. Also, extending the tips out PAST the truck bumper or body (depending on where you choose to exit) will reduce the interior resonance as will resonator tips. These may or may not be needed.

It seems that those who want a louder system will go with the true duals into flowmasters or Gibsons. This system, compared with the one above, will also give you the better all around performance. Just too noisy for me.

RYAN: I really don't think you should hear any "growling" from the transfer case except in 4LOW/compound. These gear ratios will produce that growl.

clay
    Odenmeyer: Just read your post...are you really getting interior resonance from the stock system?
    That 55 gallon drum was built for one purpose only: quiet! You might want to ride in someone elses rig that has the exhaust system you want before spending $300-400. Just my $.02.

clay
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    You also get a high capacity air cleaner.And the items are also covered under factory warranty.But I do have a question-are the jounce bumpers and stabilizer bars any different (stronger/stiffer) or different in any other way on the Z71?

Andrew
    I notice it usually around 1500 - 1800 RPMs. Sometimes when I'm cruising on the highway at 70 mph(I'm taching approx. 2K RPMs with the 4.10 rear end) I get the WOO WOO WOO off the drivers window directed into my left ear. Drives me crazy when this happens. Funny thing is, it's intermittant. That part I can't figure out. Maybe its just a bad muffler from the factory. I remember long ago Smikes stating there were problems with loose baffles in some of the factory mufflers but never heard anything further. Someone also commented a few post back about the fan noise during take off. I too think this is excessive. So, should I persue having the dealer replace the factory muffler or put my efforts and $$ towards a nice aftermarket muffler or system? Is it possible to install aftermarket equipment and maintain a relatively quiet interior? Thanks

Mark
  • bsilerbsiler Member Posts: 30
    I own a 2000 Silverado 2500 4WD. At about 5000 miles I started hearing a noise (sounded like a belt noise). I took it to the dealership and after 3 days and calling GM they found that it was the seal at the transfer case between the transfer case and the drive shaft. I think all they did was to squirt a little oil on it. It wasn't long before I started hearing the noise again all though it's not a bad as before. I went back to the dealership and asked if the seal might need to be replaced. They said no and asked when I was going to bring it in for service (I get service done every 3000 miles at a local service station). I guess what they plan to do is to put more oil on it.

I'm not a mechanic but I didn't think seals need to be lubricated when you service a vehicle.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

Billy
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    Oden, do you hear the sound when you are next to a wall on the highway? Your explaination sounds like echo from a cement wall when you are driving beside them, like are in the median of many highways. Just a thought...
    Wrap some duct tape around the "loose" spring end and drive the truck to see if it still rattles. If it doesn't, then you know the location of the rattle. If the rattle still goes, keep searching for the source...
    It seems that with the Velvet ride shackles installed, that if you loaded the truck bed, the shackles would compress closed (or would it open up more??). Basically causing the springs to contact the frame mount point (or causing the bed to lower more due to the opening of the "L" shape of the shackle). There appears to be a lip at the top of the lower part, but I see no area for the unit to stop it's motion if pushed too far. Am I correct in this assumption? I'm afriad these sound like a "too good to be true" situation. But, hey, if not I'd be up to getting a set for my truck :)
  • mikeb6mikeb6 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Z71 with the 5.3 engine and want to put the two straight pipes out the back 1) for looks and 2) for the awesome sound. I know nothing about this, except for that I have seen a few with this change. Is there a specific name for this exhaust and where would I bring it?? Also, how much $$$$. Thanks :)

Mike
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    are you planning to keep it legal? or are you planning to remove the catalytic converters also?
    I have not seen any aftermarket exhaust manufacturer that makes a true dual as most use the the existing y pipe that has the two converters. I would recommend that you find a reputable muffler and exhaust shop in your area. Don't know if Midas or Meineke would qualify as it depends on the individual franchisee whether he will do aftermarket mods or not. Some of the performance shops will also provide the muffler whether it be Borla or Magnaflow and custom the pipes to your truck. One thing you need to be careful on is not to exceed 2.25" pipes as you would lose too much torque on the low end. Hope this helps

Dean
    I reread your post and misunderstood on my previous post. what you are looking for is the "split rear exit" catback exhaust. If you are looking for loud and do not care about in cab resonance, I would recommend the Flowmasters. The price depends on the specificsa of your truck and whether you want aluminum or stainless steel. Since you did not post whether you have and ext cab or 4wd cannot provide with specific part nos.
    Here's a couple of links for you to check out:

http://www.flowmastermuffler.com/

http://www.borla.com/

http://www.magnaflow.com/

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/

good luck...
    To add to what Obyone posted, I did do some telephone calls to Flowmaster. The cat-back system they have for the x-cab models has a resonator in front of the muffler. The muffler is a 70 Series Big Block II unit. I discussed the fact that I feel that this system might be too quiet ( additional info post 727 in Silverdo XIII). He did indicate that their tests show that the X-cab by its very nature of being a larger empty box is more prone to magnifying the noise. The standard cab doesn't seem to have that tendancy, so no resonator. The Series 70 muffler is often referred to as a "3 chamber", and in comparison to a "2 chamber" Series 50 is much quieter. I believe that the Flowmaster kits (with tailpipes, tips, and hangers) to this date are only offered for the X-cab, (could be wrong on this, but only new application found for 99-00). If you have a standard cab you may have to have pipes bent. The speed shop I deal with does some of these installs, and says Flowmasters vary in noise level depend on which series muffler is chosen, The Gibsons are loud, period, and have more tendancy for in cab resonance.

Follow the links that obyone put in his post to you and make plenty of calls to the 1-800 phone numbers. Do your homework, try to ask other truck owners on the street what type of system they have and evaluate from their opinion.

Matthew
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    While surfing I went to Clay's web page at http://agmlemon.freeserver.com/ and noted that the engines have been redesigned for 2001 to eliminate excess clearance for the main rod bearings.

This excess clearance is reportedly the cause of cold start knocking/clicking. My question is will the long term durability of the '99/'00 engines be noticeably effected by the previous design flaw?

Thanks!
    the obvious answer is yes...what's not so obvious is by how much...If you asked your dealer don't think you'd get an honest answer.

Dean
    Mark: Boy, you got me stumped. I get absolutely zero interior resonance (ext. cab Z71 ) from that 55 gallon drum. I would think your particular muffler must have a defect and should be checked out by your service dept. If it is intermitten, you might have a problem getting it to duplicate when there. However, if your like me, and want to increase performance and like the soft rumble of duals, then don't bother.

Dean did a good job describing exhaust mods. I would strongly urge you to go with a catback only system. As said, you have essentially two choices: duals back from each of the cats into dual mufflers and then exit. Or, single back (you can run a 3 inch here) from the "Y" into a single in dual out muffler (no more than 2.25" out). The latter, which I am going with, will be quieter. Take a good look at the links Dean provided AND I would strongly recommend taking a ride with someone who has a system you like (as Mat suggested). I've walked up to several Silverado's in a parking lot and asked them about their exhaust systems. Everybody likes to talk about their rigs and you may meet some real nice people. This is the best way to decide on an exhaust system: hear it on the street. Remember that a Ford or Dodge WILL sound different.

clay
    Today at work a 99 Z71 came in for a bunch of building materials. I happened to notice the odometer and it read 40000 some miles. I was like woah. Most i have ever seen was around 15K. This truck was in great shape except the tires were pretty wore down.

Mine now has 4190 as of 7-29-00 (exactly 3 months after i purchased it).

Ryan
  • vitaz99vitaz99 Member Posts: 4
    I have been experiencing squeaks and rattles in my 99' Z71 for about the last 5k miles of the 17k it has on it. They're more pronounced at slower speeds even over the smallest of bumps. Sounds like it's coming from both front and rear suspensions. Asked service advisor about it when truck was in for servicing. He responded, Oh, it's 4WD. Didn't have time for his B.S., even though I had read about some rattling problems in the early Silverado models. Has anyone else had this problem and what it might be?
  • vitaz99vitaz99 Member Posts: 4
    Oops! Wrong topic list. Carry on... But if you do know?
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Just a note on the klunk noise from the rear springs mine was doing that and they have a tec sheet that tells them to put new rubber tips on the springs to keep them from thumping they did that to mine and it is ok now. good luck
    well I think it being Saturday night, that I may have had one too many. Reading the posts and not making much sense out of them. Is the rattle louder than the squeak? Which would you consider to be more annoying? For myself the squeak would definitely be more annoying. That being said, the most likely source of the squeak would be your front spring insulators. The problem is that the springs, if not installed correctly, would wear through the insulators and rub metal to metal causing a rather annoying squeak when passing over bumps. There is a TSB on replacing the front insulators...can't remember much on it, buy had it done on my truck. Just tell that good for nuthing, POS, service advisor to get off his butt and look it up. Or just order the damn insulators and figure the related TSB when his rear is more agreeable. For the rattle which most likely comes from the rear, see post #84. There is also a TSB for the rubber tips but if your advisor won't help you with the first don't think he will look this one up either. Forget who but someone once compared service advisors to "varmits". I think that person was on to something....good luck, from the sound of your service advisor, you are going to need it....Now, back to the beer...

Dean
  • mikeb6mikeb6 Member Posts: 8
    I appreciate the help with the exhaust questions. I will check out the links and do some homework. (I have an ext cab Z71 (4X4) w/ 5.3) Thanks again for your help!

Mike
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Been away for a while. Now catching up. Mine also has the spacing. I am almost certain that all of them do, but you could verify by looking at some on dealer lots.

Note Obyone's posting #85. He still provided good helpful information to consider. Bob
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..but all 4WD's...even in 4-HI or Auto will make a grind on concrete when turning...

maybe you don't know what to listen for?

-Tim
    who's Charlie? or am I missing something or someone in the previous posts?

Dean
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    obyone, it's just tim's sarcastic way of
    replying. just like his obnoxious remark he made
    in #2109 this mornin'. this column runs like the
    SUV #2799, except over here we don't have CW we
    have good 'ol tim who likes to make someone feel
    real dumb. kind of a loner type. you know, start
    your own talk as you want type. LOL

...red
  • crossfire1crossfire1 Member Posts: 33
    I'm jealous of you guys,

I have read that some of you have 01 models already or at least seen one, and I can't even get a price on one. I plan on ordering a Black\Pewter sb Z71 LS, as soon as the dealer accepts it.
    Thanks for all of the info on the engines though, that will come in handy when I talk to the salesman, and know more about the trucks than he does!!

:-)
    Chris
    Chris,
    Just don't let on you know more than he does all at once. It is too overwhelming for salesmen, and obyone is right about service advisors, their knowledge(or lack thereof) in the service department is DANGEROUS! When you are talking to the salesman ask questions that you already know the answer to. That way you know where his knowledge level is and he doesn't go defensive on you.
    take it or leave it...
    Matt
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    Can anyone tell me what happened? I have been off of here for a several days and returned to find that there is no longer a Chevy Silverado XIII Cont. topic #2055. In the past these topics were frozen, but you could still access them if you want to return for specific postings. Also, I have discovered that all of the previous topics related to Chevy Silverado Cont. are also gone. (VII, #1563, VIII #1661, IX #1738, X #1815, XI #1891, XII #1996, XIII #2055) That is really bad. I had flagged various postings on all those topic numbers so I could go back and reread when needed. Did you guys make her that mad at you or am I lost? Appreciate information on all these deletes or whatever. Thanks Bob
  • tiredofwaitingtiredofwaiting Member Posts: 74
    The little guys in black suits from GM took em.
    Bob,
    Though it may seem that they were taken by M.I.B. you can do a topic search for silverado that will net links to the earlier conferences. You will find, however, 2 Silverado IX 's however as obyone pointed out and provided Meredith with some V 's for future use.
    matt
    I guess I left some "however's as well
    matt
    Narg-

I hear what I think is resonance (woo woo off the drivers window, can't hear it when I'm sitting on the passenger side) on the wide open highway. No cement dividers in sight.

Bassamatic-

Which systems are you looking at? Thanks

Mark
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    chris -
    congrats on picking a fine truck. for pics of what your truck can/will look like, check out:

http://www.PictureTrail.com/kwerking/95343

that's my baby. there you will find pics of the 11 zerks we've located under the front end, some action photos, and before long, pics of nerf installation and shock swap. fyi - the tenneco's that come stock with the z71 package suck. bad. plan on getting new ones. many on here will talk up the edelbrock ias's. i got bilstein's for two reasons. first and foremost, because someone was selling them used (only 3 mos. old) for half what they retail for. second, because that's what USED to come with the z71 package. had 'em on for 4 days now. love 'em. went off-roading this weekend too. i'll try to get pics of what it looks like now and post them too. anyways, check out my album(s).

kyle
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    the link above will point you to my "zerk" album. on the left side of the screen, click the link for "more online photos". it will show that i have two albums (soon to be three). the other album "action photos" is just that. or will be. only has one pic in there right now, but i'm working on fixing that. the third album will come after i get it back up on a lift again where i can get good pics of my step bar and shock installs. later...

kyle
    So you definitly think it is worth $200 to change the shocks. I was thinking of the edelbrocks but they are kinda pricey. I seen that perf prods has the bilsteins for $49.95. I was reading the advantages on the bilsteins vs the OEM (tenneco) shocks. Seems the bilsteins have a huge advantage.

Could you let me know how the ride has changed and what you have noticed with the differences so far if you dont mind.

Thanks

Also a little side story. I was coming to work this morning. I had the radio up pretty loud and i heard this wind noise and im thinking how with 4200 mls did this just start. First thought was the bug guard but then why would it just pop up with 4200 mls and not be there from day 1. Well i kept listening. Then i got a bright idea try and roll the window down and listen so i did. I rolled it back up and wind noise was gone. Seemed that the passneger window wasnt fully rolled up maybe 1/16" -1/8" down not enough for it to leak but enough to make a wind noise. Maybe this is why some of you are getting a wind noise the window wont go up all the way. I dont know just a suggestion.

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.