Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued IX

Comments

• Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    What's put on an Explorer comes from a different mold than what goes on a truck. I see a lot of Wilderness A/Ts with differing tread patterns and profiles. Different tires, same family. Bridgestone owns Firestone now. The Bridgestone Dueler A/T with Uni-T (tm) is as good as any tire out there. Has LT rating too.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Anybody know about the Firestone Firehawk series? Actually doesn't matter much, cause I'm dumping them anyway. I thought they were pretty bad riding tires and have never heard of the line prior to it being on the D.

Tim

Found an old computer in a backroom on this small miserable atoll. Guess I'll be able to post once in awhile. Flying on an Air Force C141 is not one of life's greatest pleasures. If ever offered that opportunity, make sure you decline even though it be free...BTW anybody heard from Red lately. Been kind quiet without his sometimes "anal" responses...LOL

Dean
  • Options
    davec1257davec1257 Member Posts: 24
    I've got a Z71 1500 LS w/4.8L. It varies on shifting to O.D. depending on the situation, but typically if I'm accelerating to highway speed (say 65 posted), as soon as I get between 50-55 mph it will shift to O.D. even though you can feel the motor want to keep accel'ing. My biggest [non-permissible content removed] is when I try to pass or going up a hill. It just gets to comfy in O.D. Around town (under 50 mph) it works just fine, but once I get above 50, it gets stupid.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    speeds seem about right for it to shift into OD. perhaps it need a 5.3?

Maybe you just are expecting something else?....but the shift points sem right on the money...

What rear end you have?

- Tim
  • Options
    3.73 I can get over the quick dive into O.D. I just wish I could get it to jump out when needed on the highway. It sounds like a shifting algorithm that's not quite right. Fine around town, but the forgot the highway.
  • Options
    sabot1sabot1 Member Posts: 28
    Tim, Dean, Ryan,
    Since none of you addressed this on this site thought I'd throw it out for general consumption. Octaine PREVENTS fuel from igniting. Higher octain is used to prevent autodetonation (knock) in higher compression engines. 87 should work as well as 93 in almost all new cars. The problem with high octain fuels is the method used to achieve it. Alcohol is not good for aluminum engines or engine components and that is what goes into a lot or "cheaper" high octain fuels.
    Don't just take my word for it, though. This too easy to prove to yourself. Fill your tank up all the way to the top with 87 and run it down to the warning light. Figure your gas mileage. Do the same with the 89 or 93 and see if your mileage improves by more than 1 MPG. If it does, stay with higher grade. If it doesn't, you're wasting your money.

My $.02 worth,
    Phil
  • Options
    sabot1sabot1 Member Posts: 28
    Noticed the same thing with my truck (4.8, 3.42). Most often occured when the RPMs went over 2500 in any situation or gear.

Phil
  • Options
    it need 2-4 tanks to adjust for a proper MPG rating..

I don't care about MPG...just power.

- Tim
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    about the Firestone ATX and ATXII tires. A former Firestone engineer says they neglected to design in a nylon ply between the steel belts and rubber. This evidenly makes the tire more prone to tread separation due to heat build-up from underinflation. A Explorer flipped on the highway here in central Oklahoma about 2 months ago, killing the driver, but leaving his 2 young daughters (2 & 4, I believe) unharmed. It was attributed to tread separation at high speed (75mph+). The Firestone engineer said the cost to include that nylon ply would be about $1. How would you feel if your brother/husband/father, ect., died just to save Firestone $1.
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Found this link while searching for replacements for my Wilderness AT, P265/70R16. Had a discussion awhile back about aspect ratio, etc..

http://www.toyo.com/tire_basics/plus.html

I think I am going to try the Toyo. They have a 500 mile free trial for some tires. If you don't like them, they will exchange for something else.

Dustyone
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    is being changed to "Firestone Tires- Will they Kill you?" until we can get this issue resolved.
  • Options
    Doesn't running with higher octane make the engine run a bit hotter? Would it therefore lead to a problem with building up carbon deposits? I'm not too sure here, so help me out.
  • Options
    btenvybtenvy Member Posts: 43
    I just noticed I reposted some information. But I called the 1-800 Number; they will only replace or credit IF they find a problem with your tires. BTW I live in Las Vegas and the nearest retailer is in California approximately 170 miles away. I'm glad I already replaced mine. Seems to me they care more about company profit than the lives of their customers. I think they are doing more damage by not taking responsibility.

My 2 Lincolns.

-Jarvus
  • Options
    nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    GM put out a TSB (or something like that) about octane. If you burn the wrong octane for your engine, you WILL get lower gas milage, and lower power too (even with higher octane). I verified the MPG, with my old 5.0L, 87 gave the best MPG. My father owns a Camero with the nice 5.7L and it calls for 93 Octane. He can get 28MPG, but if he tries lower octane, the MPG rarely goes above 22. (He drives like an old fart anyway). And I've never noticed any power increase with higher octane, never. I've yet to test this with my 5.3L engine yet. But I'm sure the results will be the same. I DID notice more power with the K&N filter and the Bosche +4's Not a ton, but it was noticable. I really really recomend the Bosche +4 plugs! Engine is quieter too.
  • Options
    dinotwodinotwo Member Posts: 11
    I placed an order for an '01 LT, light pewter with all the goodies on 7-14-00 for $300 over invoice. The dealer says it has been rejected due to a shortage of leather seats and that LT's comprise only 20% of the builds. He says he finds out each Tuesday which of his orders have been accepted and will update me accordingly. If accepted this week, it should be built the week of September 10. And the wait begins........

The other Dean
  • Options
    blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    What seems to happen here is that the detonation sensor (s) pick up detonation (spark knock, ping whatever you want to call it). The way the logic works is that if the det sensors don't see detonation, (because above 87 octane fuel is being used), the computer says to itself, "Waaait a minute, I should be seeing some detonation and I'm not, so therefore there must be something wrong and to make sure it is not the fact that the det sensors aren't working, and to protect the engine for damage, I, the computer, will retard the spark advance curve!" Gas milage drops, power drops, BUT the engine is saved! Ain't computers fun?? This operation does not set a code because occasionally the computer alows some ignition advance up to see if it will hear detonation, so it knows the det sensor (s) work. The thing is that it doesn't hear detonation within the expected range.

As we now have Onboard Diagnostics Second Generation (OBD II) on these trucks, the inter-relationship of the sensor signals and speed at which the computer runs increase the complexity of operation and control. TIM however may have a different situation however as his is a 2500 and as such (outside the boundaries of California) may have, like, "OBD II Light".

BTW for those who disconect the battery, keep in mind that the computer that you are clearing of the Block Learned Memory Fuel Trim (Short and Long), due to some modifications of intake or exhaust, WILL ALSO clear the "Start Up Self Check Data"!! GM refers to this as "System Status - Complete Yes/No". What it means is that the last time the vehicle was driven, the "Monitors" completed each test. Pass or Fail, but they completed. If you disconnect the battery and clear the memory, the system does not know that the Monitors completed!

What does all this techno-babble mean? If you disconnect the battery, do not take your truck to get a Smog Check or Emissions Certification until you put some serious miles on it!!!

Page 6-2178 Volume 3 of 4 has a complete description regarding the drive procedure necessary to get the "System Status" to complete. My experience shows that even though you try to drive the "cycle" within the specific parameters for 12 minutes, the scan tool may still show a "Fail" on System Status. A good long drive is necessary.

Sorry about the long post, just the Training Instructor coming out.
    Matthew
  • Options
    redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    ha ha ha I saw that.

chevy4me, i've got 13,000 on my generals (jelly
    wheel belts) and they're wearing fine also. only
    problem is that they were wearing in the center.
    now i'm down to 32 lbs. (cold) and they are
    wearing a bit more uniform.

...red
  • Options
    just curious...is that a "Z-71" that you're
    ordering?

...red
  • Options
    On octane...

I currently run 93 octane, HPIII, 160 thermostat. Mileage avg. combined 80/20 high/city 16 mpg. But it's not the true reading. Truck came with 255/70R16 and upgraded to 275/70R16 without reprogramming for tire size change. Truth being that prior to HPIII programming, truck did not run well with 93 octane, rather 87 was best. After programming, 93 is definitely the best choice.

Dean
    '00 LS xcab 5.3 3.73 2wd
    JBA headers
    Gibson sweptside exhaust
    Granatelli MAF
    Airaid
    New rack and pinion; control arms
    and waiting for Zummo PV with Magnaflow....
  • Options
    bcnetbcnet Member Posts: 14
    Ordered accepted May 16th. Build week of July 17th. Delivered to Houston on August 2nd while I was out of town. Will pick up Sunday (dealership closed on Sat, open Sunday)

Indigo Blue LT Z71
    Graphite Leather
    Locking Diff.
    265 WOL Tires

Went by the lot today with my girlfriend and found it - couldn't wait until Sunday to see it.
    Looked great. Thanks to all for the info and entertaining posts over the past 6 months

Byran
  • Options
    tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    What is your recommendation for octane for the 5.3? Thanks!
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Byran
  • Options
    Tex6,
    I am going to cop out and say that use what the Owner's Manual recommends. Based on what I have experienced over the years of driving my own plus GM rental cars on business, unless you do some extensive and well thought out modifications, such as those that Dean performed in #281 to his truck, it is best to stick to what is in writing. There have been some compelling posts regarding higher octane being both distructive and a waste of money. Something to think about. I have been reading the "Silverado" subject since back in January and there have been many comments on octane recommendations. There is a wealth of practical experience on octane usage. See if others offer their thoughts.

Bryan,
    I echo congrats and enjoy!!!! See if you can hold it under 200 miles a day! LOL Once you start driving your truck, you don't want to stop, or drive anything else! I rent from National since they have Silverados on the Emerald Isle.
    Matthew
  • Options
    the dealer told me that using 93 would cause a carbon build up and foul the plugs.

I could swear it had better highway power with 93.

- Tim
  • Options
    breazealbreazeal Member Posts: 4
    Just my .02 but my experience as a pilot/aircraft mech and on other engines has always been the heat developed by the cylinder along with the plug temp range has everything to do with how much plug fouling you get. The cool thing with a/c engines is the fact you change the mixture and lean the mixture to get a higher temp which keeps the plugs from fouling or clears them if they are fouled. Dont know what temp range the plugs are in my 5.3but the hotter the engine cyl/egt temp the less chance of fouling, but with a computer doin it all who knows?
  • Options
    rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I agree with you. I also have the P265 tires & haven't had any problems with them. I keep the tires at 35 psi & the tires have been really good ..... off-road!
  • Options
    running passenger tires off road? Firestones? If so, good luck to ya....

Dean
  • Options
    pathomppathomp Member Posts: 25
    If you don't mind ny asking, what is a Zummo PV with Magnaflow? I gather Magnaflow is exhaust, but does that mean you are replacing the Gibson? I am thinking about the Gibson sweptside for my 6L, so I would be interested in knowing if you like yours: Did you get a noticable power boost? Does it sound good without being too loud in the cabin?
    etc. Thanks

Paul
  • Options
    I rotated the tires Saurday as truck has 5500 miles on it. Checked them over real close since I was working in the sun. No signs YET of what might be belt separation. Interesting thing though, when I went to loosen the lugs, they broke free at 45-50 lbs./ft. That I know of they had never been off since the day it was built 2/14. The torque spec in the Service Manual (4 vol. set) is 140 lbs./ft.!!!!! Tightened wheels with torque wrench to this spec. all 24 nuts (then had to put the goofy caps on lightly tightening the plastic caps). But might do ya'll to check 'em before you take that off road trip.
    Matthew
  • Options
    was the first thing i checked after 500 mi. and
    mine were tighened to specs. other nuts and bolts
    within the underside of the truck were tight also
    with the exception of a few bolts that needed
    retorquing anyway from the truck being in use.

Boy, this topic has gotten boring.

...red
  • Options
    of course it has!..all places on the net get boring in summer...so go here and spruce up this place!

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/

- Tim
  • Options
    Tim,
    You have been doing a great job over there. That is a lot of work.
  • Options
    The Gibson swept side is very quiet at idle. At 1500- 1800 rpm, I have in cab resonance that drives me nuts. The magnaflow/Zummo Power Vault (PV) combination has been dyno'd to show increase of at least 18-20 hp at rear wheels. I wish I was on my PC as I would have the links. You could go over to the Pacific Audio site and do a search on Zummo PV and also visit Zummo's site. I purchased mine on a group purchase discount $525 + s/h and am awaiting delivery. The Gibson with the JBA headers have increased high end performance but low end has suffered a little. The HPIII has manged to balance it out. What's interesting, is that I could barely get the 275's to chirp at half throttle, with the velvet rides, tires are really easy to light up...what does that say for traction tho...

Blackmax200

Torque wrench is supposed to be used to only tighten, not loosen nuts... ;)

red..

glad to see you still have the time to stop by...

Dean
  • Options
    Has anyone installed one of those toolboxes that goes on the side right behind the tailgate and just takes up about the width of the wheel well??? I seen one at cabelos and it looks pretty nice.

Any suggestions on brand or anything? Also anyone know how the install goes (TIM dont even open you mouth). ANy help on this matter would be greatly appreciated thanks

Ryan
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    i think it involves more than 3m double-sided tape. might want to get a certified dealer to install for ya! :) say, get those tail-light guards yet?

kyle
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    for the firestone posts. i'm going to go get mine checked today. i'll let you know how it all works out. i've enjoyed having them on my truck for the first 10k miles - no complaints on road or off. granted, i plan on switching to michelins or bf goodrich's for my next set, but i have no complaints about the firestones.

kyle
  • Options
    mmmmmmhmhmhmhmmmmfm

hmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    hmmmmm
    mmmhmhmhmh
    m,mmhmhmhmhmhm

..( I can't open my mouth..per Ryan)

...But if I could....I'd say babs would have boxes installed any way!

what you need a tool box for?.....Lego sets?

- Tim
  • Options
    Tim tool box would be nice for many reasons. Haul tools around when i go fishing. Haul tools around for the heck of it. For example last night (well weekend) we had our church festival and at the end we disassembled some booths (dont know what else to call em). Well the only tools we had were some wrenches and a pair of pliers. Would have been nice to have had my dewalt drill and a few other tools you know?

Kyle no tail light guards yet im calling again today.

I know it takes more than 3m tape to install them. Craftsman makes some i might check out. Thanks for all your constructive criticism guys. I guess i had it a coming

Ryan
  • Options
    would be you set it in place....and I'd guess it has pre-drilled holes in the box...so set it down...and drill the bed..(so much for that Rhino liner)...and put a bolt in and attatch a nut on the underside.....seems easy?

All out input is done out of Friendship babs!.....REALLY!

- Tim
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    1/2 ton 4.8L 5speed. Got the upgraded LT tires, so they are Steeltex, not Wilderness. Tires great.

Octane - "in writing" in the 99 shop manual it says to run 91 octane. This will not cause your engine to run hot/cold, foul plugs, and/or build carbon. What it will do is allow maximum spark advance, which produces max hp and fuel economy. When pulling rated GCWR with my 4.10 rear end 4.8L'd motor in 4th gear at 3200 to 3500 rpm I get severe ping that doesn't go away (even after software upgrade).
    I had resigned myself to running premium (even though the owners manual says 87 is ok) when towing. I just read the shop manual's recommendation of >91 octane and at least my curiousity was answered as it appears these engines are designed for premium.

PS. Ever notice the bores and strokes for the small block family of engines. The 5.3 is a stroked 4.8L and the 6.0L is a bored 5.3.

I'm probably gonna run premium full time..... Based on a really small sample (ya, I know), my fuel economy is up 10% on the current tank of fuel at 400 miles......
  • Options
    86,87,89,93, and 94 here..no 91.

I ran 93 for 15K miles...then decided to try 87 with gas hike....last time I remember checking MPG..it was about 12.5...last tank with 87 was 13.2...but that's not an average.

Maybe I will try several tanks of 93 and check it again?

- Tim
  • Options
    denn777denn777 Member Posts: 52
    I finally got an order number from my dealer re the black/pewter silverado I ordered. He says its being built the week of 8/14 (we'll see). He said he does not know where, but hopes Indiana as delivery will be faster. We're in Spfld, IL.
    With an order # I can call GM and get verification of build week, right? Does anyone have the GM number to call? Thanks.
    Denny
  • Options
    yes call them. if they dont put you on hold for a little bit to check your order call back again. The first time i called which was 4-3 the lady checked (probably not) and a min - 30 sec later she told me no build date. The dealership gave me build wk of the 10th thats why i called a wk earlier. I got a lil upset so i called dealership they assured me 4-10 was build wk. I called again on 4-10 (monday) talked to a guy he said hold on let me check your order. After 5-10 min he came back and told me my truck was built (4-6) to contact my dealership to see when it would arrive. Little did i know it arrived about an hr after i talked to the guy from gm. It did help it was built in fort wayne it only took 4 days to deliver it to the dealership. 28 days total from order accepted till the day it got to the dealership. Sorry i dont know the number :(

Good luck see the 2 tones are being built. Hope your truck gets done real quick.

Ryan
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Where Mark lives, 91 is premium. But 91 is only mid grade where Tim lives. Need a sea level edition, and high altitude edition of the shop manuals I guess.
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Congrats on your order for the 2001 Silverado with two-tone going thru! How much over invoice are you paying?

You may have to give me the name of your dealer and salesperson, so I can order my truck thru them. I've never been to Spfld IL. or for that matter east of Spirit Lake, Iowa. Could be fun trip.

Last Friday I went to the largest Chevrolet dealer in the Seattle area. Went to Brooks Chevrolet (7th largest Chevrolet dealer in the US). They were going to get back to me if they could order my two-tone Silverado LS. I have not heard from them yet. My local dealer is still trying to order it, and still getting a rejection. I hope he is not trying to order the LT.

Keep me updated on status of your truck.....

-David
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    is actually 92 where I buy my dirtbike gas. The shop manual recommended a minumum of 91 for optimum performance, but said you could run less but there were potential concerns over drivability.

I had my severe ping occur in central NM on I40 running uphill pulling the travel trailer with two dirt bags and bikes in the truck along with a bunch of riding gear. Elevation was >5,000', suspect ping would have been worse at lower elevations due to higher effective cylinder pressures.
  • Options
    jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    Placed my order with the dealer today, $100 over invoice, no advertising fee. Ordered the LT with locking diff. When could I expect an order number and build date.
  • Options
    it all depends on your dealers allocation. my
    first order took 3 wks. for gm to pick it up. and
    it was 2 more wks. for them to give a tpw. the
    second order was picked up by gm the very same
    day that the dealer put in the order. also got a
    tpw (target prod. wk.) the same day. it just
    depends on when they're building what your
    ordering and that all options are available.
    hopefully you're not like me and have patience.
    i'm the kinda person that's use to overnight
    deliveries, and waiting for my truck was really
    agonizing. at least the next one i order i'll
    have no problem cause i already no what to
    expect. it was with great thanks to all the guys
    here that i made it through the wait. everyone
    here is not only helpful but entertaining as
    well.

...red
  • Options
    pathomppathomp Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the info on the Gibson. I looked up the Zummo exhaust -- it looks impressive, but from what you said it is apparently a little more expensive. Did you determine that it will eliminate the resonance you mentioned? I don't know what I will do. There are not very many choices for the 6L engine. (Anyone besides Dave40 have any 6L experience???) I am inclined to go with Gibson in spite of what you said and take my chances. The factory says it shouldn't be more than 2-3 dB louder than factory. What do you think?

Paul
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    David:

Check your profile. I sent you a reply (below) and it bounced back to me.

The place I go is as good as ANY factory paint job, and better than
    most. he also guarantees his work for life (part of being in the State
    Farm system in California). I have had work done by him and you cannot
    tell anything was ever done, both on my '99 Silverado and my wife's '97
    Chrysler convertible.

That would be a good way to get two-tone if you want it.

Personally I don't like two-tone unless it's black on black...

Richard
This discussion has been closed.