Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Chevy Silverado - Continued IX

Comments

• Options
    87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    Have any of you been reading the long term test of the Sierra on Edmunds. This month one of the editors totalled a Toyota with it. The Sierra would have been drivable except the fender was slightly rubbing the tire.
  • Options
    Does anyone with a cap have a good way of washing the back of the cab and front of the cap? I don't have access to a power washer.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    I have a pewter LT I used Z1, Z2. That's the basics. Z7, the car wash is good too. And Z6 I recommend, as it really brings out the shine either between coats of Z2 or after washing. Z16 is the tire gloss treatment. I've used other products on my tires before. They made them shine, and collect dust and dirt. The Zanio stuff gives more of a satin look, and does not attract dirt. Good stuff. Note: Z2 goes on very thin. Sometimes I wondered if any was being applied at all. The pewter color makes it hard to see. If you put a little on the chrome bumper, you will be able to see the haze much easier, and then know how much your applying to the paint. Happy waxing.
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    follow what sal says on the web site for best results. from what i've seen, done, and read, the closer you follow his instructions, the better your results. no hype in his recommendations...

kyle
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    About the sierra edmunds had for the road test. i would have been pretty upset at least there wasnt to much damage. $1900 isnt bad. My little scratch and dent cost $700. Poor truck. Sights like that give me a bad feeling makes me sick to my stomach i guess you can say.

Ryan
  • Options
    ganichoganicho Member Posts: 9
    Folks, thanks for all the input. I put Bilsteins on my 97 Tahoe and 99 Sierra. Went with the K&N Performance air system on the Sierra, and also went with Magnaflow for the cat-back. This works for me. Sounds great, good torque, and the ride is much better in both vehicles. Thanks again for all the input.
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Dang it, gosh darn it. (I remembered that I am not on Tim's site). I bumped into my left front fender while playing basketball with my grandson. I barely hit the fender, heard a popping sound (as in denting a soft drink can). Yep, there it was!! A vertical crease about 2 inches long and 1/32" deep in the sheet metal. One doesn't notice it, unless one looks at it. Of course, this is the first thing I see ;(
    500 square feet of sheet metal and I see 1 square inch. Ok, Ryan, at least if wasn't as bad as yours, but I, me, myself, I did it. Dang it...
    This sure is some thin metal. So ya'll watch out now, yahear.
    Dustyone
  • Options
    Thanks i have the magazine at home opened to the page. They have parts #'s but are those good for the tahoes,burbs, and silverados. it seems that way. From what people are saying on the tahoe topic the silverado shocks wont work on a tahoe. (please fill me in im no genious but i am guessing they are the same on both)

Ryan
  • Options
    I was on the passenger side yesteday getting something out of the back and nooticed right by the keyhole a scratch about 3 inches long. Boy did i let out a swarm of obsenities. Its not even that bad im sure the zaino scratch and swirl remover will correct it.

yea the metal is thin my dent almost went straight through

Ryan
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    They are probably right about Silverado's and Tahoe's using different shocks. The Silverado has leaf springs and the Tahoe's have coil springs. Add in the different uses of the two and I'd bet your truck they use different shocks.

Mike L
  • Options
    Why then are the bilsteins in the perf prod mag the same part #'s?

I dont know really i am just wondering thanks
  • Options
    Don't know about the Perf Products catalog.

I checked the Bilstein website, and they have no listing for the new Tahoe/Suburban. But they do list different shocks for:

- Old Body style pickup
    - Tahoe
    - Suburban 1500
    - Subarban 2500

A 1500 Silverado and a 2500 Silverado use different shocks, and they are more similar than a Silverado and a Tahoe. I'd still bet your truck (not mine, though) that the Silverado and Tahoe use different shocks. I would even expect the suspension travel to be different between the PU and the SUV.

Some distributor catalogs (JC Whitney for one) list one part number for a range of applications, and send you the correct part # based on your vehicle, not on the part number ordered.

Mike L
  • Options
    psp1996psp1996 Member Posts: 18
    Edmunds 2001 prices just came out on 1500 silverados. Need help from those of you that ordered a truck. Any helpful advice you can pass along ie. amount over invoice, options you have or wish you had ordered, etc. A naive question but,i assume when ordering, the negotiations on final price is done before the dealer places the order rather than after it's arrival. Been following this topic for a few months and find you guys to be quite informative and entertaining to boot.

tia,

Lewis
  • Options
    Negotiate from the invoice price. 0-500 over is the range I've seen posted here. If you negotiate x over invoice you will have to eat any increases from GM, but if you negotiate a firm price the dealer will have to absorb the increase. Be sure to take nail down any advertising fee, taxes, transport, and document fees. I would negotiate the price up front even if the dealer didn't require it. It's better than haggling after waiting for several weeks (months) and having the dealer jack up the price or have the deal fall through. Also, gave the dealer a $500 deposit but the check wasn't cashed until I took delivery.
  • Options
    vitaz99vitaz99 Member Posts: 4
    Been away for a few days. Saw that I received a response about my suspension problem. Thanks for the feedback and yes I'm going to jump on those varmits in the service dept. when I take my truck in next week.
    Kirk
  • Options
    ekammererekammerer Member Posts: 5
    Anyone else here ordered a 2001 2wd ext. cab short box, and got told the chassis are in short supply until October? My dealer says that is what GM told him. My truck has been "ordered" for 3 weeks without fitting an allocation my dealer has. I've called other local dealers, and they do not have allocations for this truck either.

I am considering just taking a 2000 off someone's lot and cancelling my order. $500 cash back is hard to pass up, and since I hope to drive it for 100,000 plus miles, depreciation doesn't bother me much either. Other than Clay's site showing that late 2000's (after March 00, he thought) got additional frame bracing, what else should I look for? I am getting the 4.8 L, does the cold bearing knock only happen in the 5.3 L, and does anyone know if the tighter bearings were worked into the late 2000 trucks too?

Part of me wants to wait for my 2001, but if they don't have frames until October, my truck probably wouldn't get built until November or December. This means I'd be stuck driving my 68 Camaro Convertible (fresh 327 with an open rear, I don't think so) or my boss' 88 Audi 90 (decent car, but I'm just not a car guy) until January or so.

I'll stop wasting bandwidth whining...any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Eric
  • Options
    rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Stuck driving a convertible? What ... you in a cold climate?

The frame problems mentioned are a running design improvement, not a change of something defective; my '99 does not exhibit any of the qualities claimed for early models (mine is one of the last '99s built).

If you can swing a good deal, I'd get the '00.

Richard
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and I'd take it for one looong test drive...

Dean
  • Options
    ekammererekammerer Member Posts: 5
    I'm guessing that I will wind up with an 00. Dealer has located a medium charcoal gray with graphite interior for me in Delaware (I'm near Philly), and is trying to swap to get it. If he gets it, I will go down with him and drive it back. That way, if its crap I haven't signed any papers.

The Camaro is mild, around 300 HP, but it has just a little higher convertor (1800-2100 or so). Even with the mild winters we've had, I'd rather not drive it.

Eric
  • Options
    bassamaticbassamatic Member Posts: 79
    87LION: Even if you had access to a power washer, I know you wouldn't use it. I can clean the top of the cab quite nicely by standing on the rocker panels and reaching up. The cap can be accessed with a small step ladder at wal mart for $15.00.

Save that power washer for the undercarriage and engine compartment...keep it away from the painted fender wells and firewall.

Hey TIM: How do you like that 325 hp for 01 2500's!! Damn they squeeze every drop out of these small blocks, don't they?

clay
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I'm not sure if that will be just the GMC C-series...or Ado's as well?

- Tim
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    If you go for the '00, give it a good run prior to signing your name to it, I have a '00 2wd x-cab and still am dealing with some vibration issues. By hearing that GM has a supply shortage on chassis for the trucks, this is a good sign that there possibly are some changes being made once again. Personally, I'd drive the Audi for a while, and get the '01.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I wouldn't do it if I were you! My 2K vibrates like a magic fingers bed, and so far has spent 9 days in service with no fix, even after the "vibration kit" was installed. Some of these trucks don't start vibrating until they get 400 to 600 miles on them. You are taking a significant risk by purchasing a '00!
  • Options
    pathomppathomp Member Posts: 25
    I've been away for a long time, so I may have missed some previos discussion on this topic. After almost a year of driving my 2500 Ext Cab 4wd and loading it up with a 1500# camper and 5500# trailer I am interested in learning what performance mods I can make to the 6.0L engine. As you can quess I am not interested in drag racing, but I could use some boost in climbing hills in the mountains. I would like to know what experience you 6.0L owners have had with such mods: What is available? What works? What is being developed?

I have one additional question for any 6.0L owners: Have you had any problems with pinging? My truck exhibits a mild ping intermittently under moderate load. The dealer has not been any help. The ping has not been obvious when he drove it and he says everything checks out. I have gone to higher octane fuel but that has not completely cured it. I noticed there has been some discussion in another topic relating to the same symptom on the 5.3L, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it in the 6.0L.

Thanks for any advice you can give me on either topic.
  • Options
    Three things to do:

1-Increase air intake- Airaid or K&N FIPK
    2-Increase exhaust- Headers + catback exhaust
    3-Increase engine/trans efficiency- Hypertech III

cost=approx $1500

Last or first mod: Supercharger!!

cost= approx $4000
  • Options
    Negotiate a firm price up front. The dealer would like to wait until the truck is in, then you see the truck and want it and will pay more to drive it home tonight.

Options: Many depend on how you want to use the truck, but, here goes:

- 3.73 rear end w/locker. The 3.73 won't hurt mileage more than 1%, but will increase available power by 10%. The locker doesn't do anything until one tire spins, then it gives power to the other wheel.

- Trailer/Towing mirrors. Wonderfull to have if you ever have a load or a trailer. An added benefit is the all black color. I don't like chrome on a truck.

- LS Package. Includes all the popular convenience/luxury options

- Trailering Package. Just in case you ever want to tow a trailer

- Aluminum Wheels. The steel ones are ugly.

- 2500 series. The 3/4 ton truck is only a couple of hundred dollars more than a 1/2 ton, but is much more truck, with bigger brakes, stronger suspension, axles, etc. 3/4 ton trucks sell to businesses, and they are very price conscious.

- Manual transmission. More reliable and cheaper than an automatic. Trailer towing is easier with an automatic if you plan on a lot of towing.

Just my opinion,

Mike L
  • Options
    rdve80rdve80 Member Posts: 139
    According to Wheels, all 1/2 ton 2WD trucks have limited availability, long bed, short bed, regular cab and extended cab. So this limited availability may not be associated with the extended cab vibrations unless the frame is being retooled for all 4 configurations, but not for 4WD trucks. BTW, limited availability does not mean that units aren't being built. It may just indicate that demand is much higher than current production output. When I ordered my truck, the aluminum wheels, locking diff. and 4th door were on limited availability, but mine came through with a normal delivery time.
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    I'll be looking for an extra set wheels for the 2001 to mount up the studdies. Let me know if yawl are gonna upgrade. Will need the 8 bolt version, and they may have to be off the HD trucks as the brakes are larger than the 2500LD and I think GM is going to a different offset.

I'll have a set of steel painted wheels off the 1999 1/2 ton that I'll let go for really cheap. Let me know if anybody wants 'em.

Mark Buckholz
    Flagstaff, AZ (7000' and hopeing for big snows this winter.

PS. Any snowmobilers out there?
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Lewis,
    When I went to order my 2001 Silverado LS ext-cab Z71 white/pewter, I talked directly to the sales manager. He printed out an itemized list of the standard items along with the optional items and their MSRP and Invoice prices. The total Invoice price matched exactly what I had printed out on from the Kelly Blue Book web site. I had him handwrite on the Invoice printout the additional $500 over invoice price that I was going to pay and then the tax & license as the only additional costs. I then gave him a $500 deposit and walked out.

Now the only problem, GM is currently not making two-tone Silverados so my order keeps getting cancelled. According to my dealer and GM, this has been the case for a month now and no word on when they plan on making them again. So it is still a waiting game to just get my order accepted.

Now a question for everyone. If you go to a good paint shop, do you think that an aftermarket paint job is just as good as the factory paint job? I'm thinking of just ordering the white and having the pewter put on the lower half at a paint shop.

-David
  • Options
    Snow in arizona? My cousin bought a snowmobile last winter. Probably go up to tims part of the country (michigan) this winter to one of his friends. I think my truck will tow it better than a 4 banger sonoma.

Ryan
  • Options
    davec1257davec1257 Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone disconnected the battery to "recalibrate" the computer after changing to a K&N Air Filter and/or changing exhaust systems? I saw it being bounced around once and was wondering if it was worth the effort.
  • Options
    willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    I went in to one of the local Chevy dealers yesterday to see if allocations were available for the composite bed yet (only available on 1500, 4wd, SB, Z71). A Salesman on the floor admitted he was clueless and walked me over to the Sales Manager. The Sales Manager didn't have any information either. Although he had 2001 models on order and claimed "we have plenty of allocations", he knew nothing about a composite bed being offered on the 2001's.

Any one have a dealer that's more on the ball than this guy? Can any one confirm that the composite beds are currently available for orders, or when they're likely to be available?
  • Options
    do it...make sure for at least 20-30 minutes.

psp1996

though many will come close, it's hard to beat the factory paint. I would though cause I wouldn't want the two tone to hold up me driving my Chevy....that's my opinion

Dean
  • Options
    Didnt you post in Tim forum??? Post a question for WILL (my salesman) he will know and if he doesnt know he can find out for you definitly.

Ryan
  • Options
    We need to teach Will some discussion group manners; like when posting a new topic, you should check back occasionally and answer any replys. I tried leaving a post for Will, the only one to reply was you.
  • Options
    Will is a busy guy trust me. He works at the dealership during the day. At night he is a volunteer (for now till hes done with college) police officer and works many nights late. I havent talked to him in awhile. I emailed him yesterday about the firestone tires in case he finds out about any recalls. Ill get ya an answer though. He will respond just be patient.

Ryan
  • Options
    werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    In response to your question:
    "If you go to a good paint shop, do you think that an aftermarket paint job is just as good as the factory paint job? I'm thinking of just ordering the white and having the pewter put on the lower half at a paint shop."

hell yeah, you can get it "as good as the factory". i was picking masking tape off the back of some of the panels where they had masked for the two tone. if you go to a reputable joint, you'll be fine. also, like dean said - don't let that be the thing that holds you back from driving your new chevy.

kyle
  • Options
    Live at the base of a 12,500' mountain. It has a fairly small (for the west) ski area. Lots of forest service land (50 sq miles) basically behind my house. Dirt bike and mountain bike it all summer, would like to snowmobile it in the winter plus occasional trips to the rockies in the winter. Went to Yellowstone last winter with a group, 3 days snowmobiling in the park (ok) and one day hauling butt on a 700cc mountain sled out of W Yellowstone, MT (Super fun!)
    Have 3 motorcycles, need a winter toy. XC skiing and lift served skiing just not as fun as the constant thrill of my summer sports.

How does one put a long track snowmobile in a PU and then haul a travel trailer?
  • Options
    I don't mean to rag on the guy, but he started a thread last Thursday (7/27) and hasn't been back to it since. That's all I'm saying - how long should a patient guy wait?
  • Options
    My cousin has a 10-14ft (dont know offhand) flat bed trailer that raises up like a flat bed tow truck. Drive it up on there. You should be able to find trailers out there to haul both a snowmobile and gear. Unless your packing the whole house. I might get a summer toy next yr. I am thinking a jet ski possibly now. My dad started talking about getting a pontoon boat ( i said no way in hell is my truck pulling a damn ugly pontoon boat around).

David- See if your dealership has a bodyshop. When my truck got dented up the chevy bodyshop did the repair they had to repaint the whole rear passenger side cant even tell it was done its a great job. Just an option

Ryan
  • Options
    Ill get on his case dont worry. Ill drop him some email today and call him if i have to.

Ryan
  • Options
    I think he's just trying to be like the rest of the Chevy salesman such as the one you encountered who knew nothing of the composite bed. Seems like a prerequisite for selling Chevys is being unconcious....just my opinion.

and Ryan, don't get too defensive. It is my personal observation and for you it would be an emotional one. Laters...

Dean
  • Options
    I agree about salesman. I ran into to many i wont even use the words. They knew squat. Until i ran into Will that is. he knew alot not everything but much much more about the silverados than anyone else i talked to.

Me and Will talked about the composite bed one day. I dont remember if he said when its coming out. Gm might not even know when it is coming out yet for a matter of fact.

Ryan
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    What about longevity in the aftermarket paint job? I plan on owning the 2001 Silverado for at least 10 years, and don't want to see any premature peeling, fading, chipping, etc. I've waited 2 years to order this truck, I guess I can wait a few more months until my order goes thru.

markbuck,
    I've been to Flagstaff a few times, only in the summer though. Nice place. I do some snowmobiling with my father-in-law here in Washington (state), and we both are sold on the Arctic Cat machines. They seem to work the best for mountain climbing, and with EFI and automatic altitude compensation, we get ourselves into (and out of) some really good deep snow.
    http://www.arctic-cat.com/snowmobiles/index.asp
    With the right performance machine and track, you could climb up to the top of San Francisco Peaks.

-David
  • Options
    Sounds like you don't need two tone paint rather stainless steel on the bottom. Cause there ain't nothin that gonna stop paint chips.

Dean
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Haulin' a sled in a short box truck? I've seen where you can get a deck to mount on top of the box, similar to a 2-place trailer, (Sled Bed, out of Minnesota has them I think) Probably all right for long road trips, but I'd still prefer the conventional 2 place trailer. What type of sled do you have or use? I'm waiting for my new Polaris XC500SP this fall, live and ride in Wisconsin, some trips to Michigan. Been to Wyoming and Yellowstone-parks ok, off trail/powder riding was a blast. I ride with a dedicated Arctic Cat guy-their alright, but from my experience with these and others, I'll stick with the Polaris.
    Sorry to the others by getting off the truck topic.
  • Options
    Overall length on these long track snowmobiles are 9' or so, figured might be able to fit with tailgate down and travel trailer jack removed, or with tailgate removed.

Leaning toward a Yam MM or a Polaris RMK, in the 700cc range, or maybe that 800RMK.

The snowmobile gang from here travels to a place called Duck Creek in S. Utah, near Zion almost every weekend in the winter. I'd like to be able to pull travel trailer and sleep in it.

Will look for a sled bed on the internet. Best buddy owns a giant Welding and Fab business, might try to have him build me something.
  • Options
    Getting slightly confused.

Good luck on this one now!!

Dean
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Most salesmen...(including mine who admitted it) don't keep on top of the newest options and such...they know more about the $$$..and what deals are out there and how much X car will cost a month..and what's it gonna take to drive it out of here ..how much $$.

Most people are not as picky as us...and had it not been for the net..most of us wouldn't have these confusing questions to ask about options that are not out yet...ya know?...cuz we would not hear about them....like the average every day joe....but we are not Average..are we?

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.