-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Are automobiles a major cause of global warming?

Comments

• Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    It has been apparent for many years, actually decades and generation that the green movement is just code for SOS/DD and at exponentially higher costs with... no solutions.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No solutions? I sort of like seeing peregrines in downtown Boise. Getting rid of some of the stuff that collects during inversions is nice too (thank you IM tests - helps my wife breathe easier).

How many dozens of examples would you like?
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    potentially threatening water supplies for millions of people in South America.

Welcome to the 21st century. We are going through water rationing. And they keep issuing new building permits for both commercial and residential. If we don't have enough water for the people in CA presently, why build anymore homes? Put roadblocks at the border. When someone moves out you let an equal amount in. Shoot anyone illegally crossing the Mexican border. So glaciers in So America melting may cause them the same problems we are already experiencing. Cutting CO2 will not increase our water supply. They could start by executing all the people on death row that are sucking up water. Our government does not know how to deal with the real problems. So they make up straw problems like GW.
  • Options
    I sort of like seeing peregrines in downtown Boise.

I love seeing eagles in Anchorage and other places. However they are becoming a nuisance in many places that have open dumps in Alaska. The increase in population is a direct result of large populations around garbage dumps in many Eskimo villages. That we can blame on man. Has nothing to do with GW though.

Not so sure IM tests have much to do with cleaner air. That is just another money making scam. Cleaner gas and diesel was the real plus to cleaning our air. All the gizmos had a slight affect. Getting our vehicles to run more efficiently was a factor. From 1990 to 2009 there is not that much improvement on a car by car comparison. Our well maintained LS400 gets very good marks on the test every other year. The improvement over the last 20 years is insignificant. Other than the LS is much faster if that helps the environment.
  • Options
    IM tests pull the cars with failed gizmos off the roads.
  • Options
    Well let's, see we have bubonic plague fleas in rodents (7-11 per rodent count, don't even ask me how I know this) in our county and another contiguous one Is there Plague in San Mateo County?
    Yes!
    . Food for your Peregrines? West Nile Virus is alive and well here also. So how many other examples would you like to match up with yours? ;) :lemon:

Let's see, directly with transportation. For years EPA enforced leaded regular !!?? For some reason, it took a number of years not to put in lead !!??? How INSANE IS THAT?? Then in the late 70's changed to so called unleaded regular that was supposed to end the emissions gig. Then they regulated the D2 side by letting most generators go unregulated and literally unchanged. LSD 500 ppm was later mandated but shipping which burns bunker oil up to 20,000 ppm sulfur is regulated in the EXACT same way unregulated by regulation or really regulated by remaining unregulated !!?? Oct 2006 sees actually ULSD @ 15-5 ppm which should have been done 30 years ago. Bio diesel (B5 to B100) that is even less than a boutique product is @ ZERO ppm sulfur and there is almost NO population to speak of that burns it !! ??? And now we find out that RUG to PUG was only recently required to really be 90 ppm sulfur and off line mitigated by fees to 30 ppm sulfur. !!!! So the REALITY is RUG to PUG is up to 18 x dirtier than so called "dirty diesel". And of course, my two TDI's that burn ULSD (15-5 ppm sulfur) are responsible for ALL the smog in LA LA county !!!

I did tell the story of having to drive 600 miles R/T to get a smog certification I could have gotten two miles R/T away but they said it HAD to be smog tested in the county of domicile !!!??
  • Options
    Once every 5 years should be adequate. CA has this little game they play to feed the different businesses involved. If they put Smog Test Only on your renewal you have to find a Smog Test Only business. Now where I live their is a Smog Check Station, which is authorized to not only test but repair. I cannot have him do the smog test as CA plays their little games. So I have to drive 20 miles to the closest Smog Test Only station. The real pisser is if it fails I then take it to the Smog Check Station and they will tell me what it costs to fix it. I get it fixed and they can then do the Smog Test. The only car I have had fail at a Smog Test Only station, I took right to a Smog Check Station. It passed fine and the fellow told me they did not warm it up properly. That did not get back the $35 wasted at the Smog Test place.

The longer I am back in CA the more I detest everything about this state's government. My daughter is so happy in Indiana where there are still some freedoms left. She does not miss CA at all.
  • Options
    My IM notices say specifically to drive your car a bit to warm it up before going to the testing places here. They charge $15. My guy is 2 miles away and not only is it painless, I usually wind up chatting cars with him for 15 minutes. :shades:

I think you can get smogged at the repair shops here too.

Every two years is probably sufficient; 5 may be a bit much.

In the news, GM seems to be embracing Maximum Bob, and showing the greenies the door.

GM Environmental Officer Lowrey Follows Hydrogen Czar Burns Out the Door (Green Car Advisor)

Doesn't sound like Obama is running the shop closely enough if he let that happen. ;)
  • Options
    GM will spend our money like drunk sailors trying for a hit car like a Mustang. I cannot imagine them having a hit like the Prius. Just not in their DNA. While I am very skeptical of hydrogen cars. Getting rid of their top environmental people is not going to help them solve their serious lack of econo box cars. If the Volt ever makes it to the showrooms as promised I will be surprised.

Didn't the Car Czar quit the Obama team and let GM drift back into their old ways? How is putting more Silverado's on the highway with the C4C plan going to help the environment? I am not sure why I bother to conserve with the attitude of our Government.
  • Options
    If the Volt ever makes it to the showrooms as promised I will be surprised.

I would agree, but for this:

Tesla Turns Monthly Profit After 7 Years: Its Cars Go Fast, Expenses Went Faster (Green Car Advisor)

If Tesla can make a profit, there's hope for GM yet!

Hmm, $3 billion for clunkers and Tesla recently received federal advanced technology loans of $465 million. I suppose those loans could be paid back. Maybe. Possibly.

I'd rather see the money go for more clunker vouchers myself.
  • Options
    I don't think there is much hope of getting back money on these R&D handouts. Congress did include $25 billion for just such research loans. I think it was debated to take the additional $2 billion for the C4C program from that pot of money. I believe that GM received about $4 billion of that money for the Volt battery project. When it all gets added up the corporate welfare to keep GM afloat will be enormous.
  • Options
    to the " cash for clunkiers" program. The real consequences might have been overlooked given the "free candy" nature of the up to $4,500 dollar free bie.

By now, most are acquainted with the 27 mpg standard that has been in effect for... many years. The only thing to have changed seems to be the actual number. The new number is actually 35.5 mpg in MY 2016.

It might be particularly instructive that the literally ubiquitious Camry/Accord was included then disallowed as a gas guzzler,aka cash for clunkers candidate @ 18 mpg/ 19 mpg old EPA standard new EPA standards. So deviation from the 27 mpg standard is -33%. So fast forward to 35.5 mpg, 2016 standards. Using the same deviation -33% that is is 23.79 mpg. So the V6 Camry/Accord @22 mpg combined is almost in compliance with the 2016 standards. The 4 cylinder would certainly be @ 24 mpg combined !!!???? :blush:
  • Options
    This is what politicians like about the GW scam. Not hard to see where a few shekels of the $79 billion went. Do you think they saw the ocean rising in any of those vacation hot spots? :sick:

WASHINGTON -- When 10 members of Congress wanted to study climate change, they did more than just dip their toes into the subject: They went diving and snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. They also rode a cable car through the Australian rain forest, visited a penguin rookery and flew to the South Pole.

The 11-day trip -- with six spouses traveling along as well -- took place over New Year's 2008. Details are only now coming to light as part of a Wall Street Journal analysis piecing together the specifics of the excursion.

It's tough to calculate the travel bills racked up by members of Congress, but one thing's for sure: They use a lot of airplanes. In recent days, House of Representatives members allocated $550 million to upgrade the fleet of luxury Air Force jets used for trips like these -- even though the Defense Department says it doesn't need all the planes.

The South Pole trip, led by Rep. Brian Baird (D., Wash.), ranks among the priciest. The lawmakers reported a cost to taxpayers of $103,000.

That figure, however, doesn't include the actual flying, because the trip used the Air Force planes, not commercial carriers. Flight costs would lift the total tab to more than $500,000, based on Defense Department figures for aircraft per-hour operating costs.

Lawmakers say the trip offered them a valuable chance to learn about global warming and to monitor how federal funds are spent. "The trip we made was more valuable than 100 hearings," said Rep. Baird, its leader. "Are there members of Congress who take trips somewhat recreationally? Perhaps. Is this what this trip was about? Absolutely not."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124967502810515267.html
  • Options
    Weather stations give flawed temperature data, meteorologist claims
    By: Kevin Mooney
    Commentary Staff Writer
    08/06/09 12:34 AM EDT

Researchers who have inspected climate monitoring stations across the U.S. have found that almost 90 percent of the weather monitoring stations have failed to meet National Weather Service requirements.
    Anthony Watts, a retired meteorologist, and a team of over 650 volunteers, photographically documented 1003 out of 1,221 of the climate monitoring stations managed by the U.S. Weather Service. The results of this survey show that the temperature cited as proof of man-made global warming is laced with false biases in favor of alarmism.

“We found stations located next to exhaust fans of air conditioning units, surrounded by asphalt parking lots and roads, on blistering-hot rooftops, and near sidewalks and buildings that absorb and radiate heat,” Watts said. “We found 68 stations located at wastewater treatment plants, where the process of waste digestion causes temperatures to be higher than in surrounding areas.”

The research team also determined that 89 percent did not measure up to the National Weather Service’s requirement that stations must be 30 meters (about 100 feet) or more away from an artificial heating source. This means almost 9 out of every 10 stations are reporting higher temperatures because they are badly sited.

“The errors in the record exceed by a wide margin the purported rise in temperatures of 0.7 degrees C (about 1.2 degrees F) during the twentieth century,” Watts said.

An analysis of 948 stations rated as of May 31, 2009, Watts estimates that 22 percent of stations have an expected error of 1 degree C, 61 percent have an expected error of 2 degrees C, and 8 percent have an expected error of 5 degrees C.

“This record should not be cited as evidence of any trend in temperature that may have occurred across the U.S. during the past century,” he said. “Since the U.S. record is thought to be `the best in the world,’ it follows that the global database is likely similarly compromised and unreliable.”

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Weather-sta- tions-give-flawed-temperature-data-meteorologist-claims--52563192.html
  • Options
    "At the present time (June 2009), to the best of our knowledge, there has only been one published peer-reviewed study that specifically quantified the potential bias in trends caused by poor station exposure (Peterson, 2006). The analysis examined only a small subset of stations –- all that had their exposure checked at that time -– and found no bias in long-term trends.

But for detecting climate change, the concern is not the absolute temperature, whether a station is reading warmer or cooler than a nearby station over grass, but how that temperature changes over time."

No Congressman Left Behind: Rising Temperatures (Oakleigh)
  • Options
    Indeed just to compensate for the measurment errors ( in C) means the measured .7 C RISE is actually a FALL !!!!! This means a corrected measurement would indicate the temperatures are actually.... cooling off.

..."but how that temperature changes over time."...

The temperature change delta measure has to again begin with acurate numbers!!??
  • Options
    I will take Watt's opinion over Oakleigh. I don't see any scientific evidence to back up their opinions. They just throw out the same old NOAA evidence that is flawed. They do have a vested interest in the GREEN, I would say it looks more like $$$$. They should stick to high priced mail order sales. Leave the science to scientists. Cool barn pics. :)
  • Options
    'Cloud ship' scheme to deflect the sun's rays is favourite to cut global warming

The "cloud ships" are favoured among a series of schemes aimed at altering the climate which have been weighed up by a leading think-tank.

The project, which is being worked on by rival US and UK scientists, would see 1,900 wind-powered ships ply the oceans sucking up seawater and spraying minuscule droplets of it out through tall funnels to create large white clouds.

These clouds, it is predicted, would reflect around one or two per cent of the sunlight that would otherwise warm the ocean, thereby cancelling out the greenhouse effect caused by Carbon Dioxide emissions.

The unmanned ships would be directed by satellite to areas with the best conditions for increasing cloud cover, mainly in the Pacific and far enough away from land so as not to affect normal rainfall patterns.

Other ideas, such as sending mirrors into space by rocket to deflect the sun's rays, and scattering iron powder into the seas to boost CO2-absorbing plankton, have been dismissed as unfeasible or too expensive.

According to The Times, The Royal Society is expected to announce that the decade-old cloud ship plan is one of the most promising.

The Copenhagen Consensus Centre, which advises governments on how to spend aid money, examined the various plans and found the cloud ships to be the most cost-effective.

They would cost $9 billion (£5.3 billion) to test and launch within 25 years, compared to the $250 billion that the world’s leading nations are considering spending each year to cut CO2 emissions, and the $395 trillion it would cost to launch mirrors into space.

picture

When are the GW wonks going to come to the realization the World is going broke? We cannot even feed ourselves. Where are these TRILLIONS going to come from. Even if they took all the cash from all the billionaires in the World it would not be a Trillion dollars.
  • Options
    avalon02whavalon02wh Member Posts: 785
    Every once in awhile I read an article on the internet that is very good. This is one of those articles.
    http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/4799/

"...But Reason and its ideological cousin the Cato Institute have spent twenty years plumping for any global warming skeptic they can find or fund—their position, apparently, is that the atmospheric chemists and physicists who, by application of the scientific process, have reached broad consensus that we are warming the Earth have somehow managed to screw up the math. It’s embarrassing to read—no argument is too absurd or too trivial...."

"And third, by refusing to engage the reality of the problem, conservatives as a whole have contributed nothing to the search for workable solutions. This is unfortunate, because their help would be useful..."

Actually, I would be happy if they would just admit to AGCC and agree to help fund research into understanding the issue. We could certainly explore zero or very low cost solutions until we understand and can predict future impacts.

And in the theater of the absurd, I looked up the stats on the Cadillac Escalade - weight 5,810, horsepower 403, 13.1 tons of CO2. I was floored by the HP numbers. I expected something around 350. And why do we need 403 hp? To take junior to soccer practice? To pick up a loaf of bread? Or maybe all that hp is useful siting in LA traffic??? And people wonder why we need to import 60% of the oil we use. :(
  • Options
    And in the theater of the absurd, I looked up the stats on the Cadillac Escalade - weight 5,810, horsepower 403, 13.1 tons of CO2. I was floored by the HP numbers.

I agree that is a waste of resources. However the same Democrats that are pushing climate change legislation have blocked more efficient sources of power for these larger vehicles. GM was building a diesel engine for the chassis the Escalade uses. It would have nearly doubled the MPG out on the highway. It was canceled because the cost of meeting the regulations is too stiff. Maybe our Congress needs to decide which pollutants need to be addressed. Then make common sense legislation. Utopia is not an option, in spite of those that would like to believe it is. We are not going to cool our homes without some negatives involved. We are not going to grow our food without causing some adverse affect on the environment. We are not going to drive even an EV without some environmental expense.

What those that push for Climate Change regulation really want, they are afraid to ask for. They would like to eliminate about half the World's population. That not being politically correct they try coming in through the back door. Just starve them out and freeze them out. Cap n Trade is just such a vehicle to do that. Will 25% to 50% increase in utilities kill me? Not likely. How about the family they convinced they needed to own their own home and are upside down in their mortgage right now? Add $100 or more to their monthly utilities and they will likely walk away from their home. If they can find someone to rent to them with a foreclosure record, they will not have to live out of their car. Unless they have lost their job due to repressive government regulations. The 2008 crash was in part a result of business fearing the worst with a totally Democratic controlled Congress and Administration. I think their fears are well founded. We are fortunate that a few in that Congress are starting to see the light and pulling away from the high and mighty ideas that are sure to bankrupt US all.

China and India refuse to buy into the madness. I say good for them. The GW advocates have not come up with ANY common sense solutions. Only tax, tax, tax then waste, waste, waste. :sick:
  • Options
    "And third, by refusing to engage the reality of the problem, conservatives as a whole have contributed nothing to the search for workable solutions. This is unfortunate, because their help would be useful..."

Try to keep in mind that a big share of the conservatives are the small business people in this country. The current Federal, State and local governments as a whole are their enemies. They are being buried under heavy tax burdens, regulations and red tape. The future for business and jobs in this country is bleak at best. It is hard to get fired up over Man Made Climate Change theories, when you are being shot at by half a dozen government agencies.
  • Options
    I looked up the stats on the Cadillac Escalade - weight 5,810, horsepower 403, 13.1 tons of CO2. I was floored by the HP numbers.

I was a bit floored by the 2010 Prius.

It has a 1.8l engine with 134 hp. The curb weight is 3042 lbs. Seats 5.

Now take the Scion xD, another 5 seater.

It has a 1.8l engine with 128 hp, curb weight 2624 lbs.

I had just assumed that the gas engine was probably around 60 hp in the hybrid since the electric motor can contribute to propulsion. Those 400 pounds must be a killer.
  • Options
    Did you find it odd that in both phases of the cash for clunkers, (aka old gas guzzlers) bill, 1 billion, 2 billion for a total of 3 billion, there is NO provision or directive to actually measure the effects to the air quality with the 1 then 2 for a total of 3 billion worth of clunkers NOT operating and with the "more favored replacement cars" operating? My swag the differences are not even measurable, let alone statistical correlated or significant

Indeed the powers and regulations that be made 24 mpg in a gasser "better" than 50 mph in an 03 VW Jetta gasser vs TDI. Indeed the TDI put out 98 hp. So the Prius is a muscle car @ 134 hp !!! ??? So why do you ask the question when you already know the answer?.

Indeed there were some years when that Cadillac was totally legal and new diesels could not be sold that got 45-50 mpg !!
  • Options
    You're assuming it's a green bill not an economic stimulus bill. They give lip service to fuel economy but I think that smokescreen was left over from original proposals that indeed were green.

On the other hand it's sort of nice to be able to see and feel a stimulus like this one, instead of wondering where in the world all the bank bailout money went.

But some fuel saving or air quality stats would be good to see.
  • Options
    Like for like the answer is yes. The usual rule of thumb is -1 to 3 mpg per 100 #'s.

So for example, my 2515# Civic gets 38-42 mpg (same commute) while my 2950 (435#'s delta) Jetta TDI gets 48-52 mpg. !! ??

I often wonder what my TDI drive train would get in a 2515# chassis, mpg wise !! I already swag the power to weight ratio would make the much lighter chassis a lot more fun to drive. I would swag the mpg would jump dramatically also, Again a swag but a MINIMUIM of 4 mpg MORE for a (now) range of 52 to 56 mpg !!! .

Of course, it should be apparent the Civic drive train pushing a 2950 # chassis would take a giant loss of mpg. I would swag the loss would be -4 mpg min for a (now )range of 34 to 38 mpg.
  • Options
    "You're assuming it's a green bill not an economic stimulus bill"

Well no. To me it would be more "intergral. " However using the Former CEO of GE's Jack Welch saying: "What gets measured gets done", 3,000,000,000 (billion) $ speaks.... volumes.... vs no, none, nada, zip, zippo, ZERO to even a cursury look at the effects to the air quality.
  • Options
    "Would you rather buy it from Exxon or Castro?"

Is this a trick question? :surprise: You mean I have the option to pick the mighty Exxon, you know, the one that "Just last year, ... recorded the largest corporate annual net income ever, $45.22 billion." http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jul2009/db20090730_219469.ht- m
    or the almost dead revolutionary. Let me get back to you on that one. ;)

Seriously, I think they will use all the oil they find for their own needs.
    http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/country/country_energy_data.cfm?fips=CU
    They import about 128,000 barrels a day. We could also assume that as production increases Cuba will start to use more....to drive around in these
    http://www.danheller.com/cuba-cars.html

On a related note, Mexico is upset that the U.S. may start drilling in oil fields that straddle the gulf border. They are concerned that the oil on their side will get sucked up by U.S. rigs.

Your comment also reminded me of the missing island issue.
    http://www.spacedaily.com/2006/090211185744.8z1tpwk3.html
  • Options
    ..."They import about 128,000 barrels a day. We could also assume that as production increases Cuba will start to use more....to drive around in these "...

Gee those old 1950's cars (wrecks by our "standards") are sure getting a BAD rap !! Viva da Emperor !!! He is da best PRESIDENT we've ever had !!

Really anybody in America can pay 8 per gal gas !!! Just calculate how many gals you use in a year and make an IRS donation April 15 to mitigate to 8 per gal !! Funny how those advocating $8.00 per gal gas don't indeed do this !!?? See... easy, eh? I am missing the .74 cents a gal RUG in 1987....

So what is the environmental battle plan when Russia and China have their oil spills off the coast of Cuba? (aka affects the Florida Keys and Coasts?)
  • Options
    Is this a trick question? You mean I have the option to pick the mighty Exxon, you know, the one that "Just last year, ... recorded the largest corporate annual net income ever, $45.22 billion."

Hopefully you have some of your 401K in oil stocks such as Exxon. It always cracks me up to see those figures. Exxon does not make any higher percentage on investment than Coca Cola which is much less important than oil for our survival. And they do not make a fraction of what Microsoft makes most years. Too bad we don't have leaders in our country that are as capable at managing money as Exxon does. I am thankful that Exxon and the other oil companies have done so well at providing our fuel needs over the years. If it was the government we would be lucky to have access to gas once a week. Check out Mexico sometime. They have many times when there is no gas at the government run stations. And they are an exporter of oil.

You want Putin drilling off our coast, I do not, simple as that. Anyone that cares about the environment would not want Russia or China drilling 40 miles off our coast.
  • Options
    Exxon does not make any higher percentage on investment than Coca Cola which is much less important than oil for our survival

Coke would do even better if they got all the tax breaks for coke exploration that Exxon gets for drilling for oil. Oil and Gas Tax Breaks: $2.4 billion a year

The $3 billion clunker program will probably "find" more gas in three months than the $2.4 billion yearly tax break has contributed to increasing oil reserves.

I'm not sure why this is in the news today. I thought the Pentagon came out with a global warming national security warning a few years back:

Military Admits Global Warming a Threat to National Security (Chattahbox.com)
  • Options
    ..."Coke would do even better if they got all the tax breaks for coke exploration that Exxon gets for drilling for oil. Oil and Gas Tax Breaks: $2.4 billion a year. "...

Essentially that would be way cool if you could pour coke in your tank as fuel and takes a load off corporations like Exxon coming up with dry holes. ;) Or let companies like Exxon only drill when they can come up with a... gusher??? (yup we can't wait till the inmates run the asylum)

But this brings up at least another anamoly. It is perfectly logical to pay for dry holes, (aka wasted money for... no result), and not pay to make bio diesel from algae a reality !!?? Algae growth and its downstream harvesting for D2 ethanol and livestock feedis absolutely slam dunk. It is proven by millions of years, and evolution. it can be constantly improved by genetic engineering. What oil refining or drilling process eats C02 and produces oxygen? The process is essentially carbon neutral. Petro is NOT carbon neutral. D2 from algae growth is literally an on demand proposition.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863
    "...compromised and unreliable..."

I have suspected that to be true for some time. Perhaps we should have a Congressional investigation to determine if GW zealots were responsible for the placement.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I bet if you really look there is an authorized weather sensor site right next to a hoppin pizza oven. ;)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,863
    "...got tax breaks for coke exploration..."

Steve, Steve, I'm calling BS on that one. Does Coke build a bottling plant and just hope that soda is produced? Have they built a lot of plants that turn out to be dry holes? Would the military be unable to fight if the coke supply ran out?

If they did I might be in favor of them getting tax breaks too.

I have no love for big oil but they get demonized to an incredible degree by people who have their own money making adgenda.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I thought the Pentagon came out with a global warming national security warning a few years back:

I want you to think about that for a while. Every agency in the Government will want a piece of the Climate Change Pie. To get it you have to be on board with those in charge of handing it out. Follow the money...
  • Options
    Keep in mind also Coke (and almost EVERY soda vendor) puts C02 in most lines of SODA beverages!! What do you think would happen if the government stepped in and said no more C02 "pollutants" in soda??
  • Options
    WWII was won with Hershey Bars, not Coca-Cola. :shades:

Interesting point Ruking - it is incredibly expensive to drill but that's just a cost of doing business. But everyone screams to the hills about paying for a clean coal demonstration or battery funding.

Oldfarmer, some of my best friends are oil trash. They do make easy targets eh?
  • Options
    My question would be? How much Coke does the military buy each year to give to the troops. If an RPG don't get our guys and gals the high fructose corn syrup will. Probably the NUMBER ONE cause of obesity in the USA.

The tax breaks for oil exploration are a pittance compared to the corporate taxes paid to the Federal government. Reality check:

In other words, just one corporation (Exxon Mobil) pays as much in taxes ($27 billion) annually as the entire bottom 50% of individual taxpayers paid in 2004 (most recent year available), which is 65,000,000 people! Further, the tax rate for the bottom 50% was only 3% of adjusted gross income ($27.4 billion / $922 billion) in 2004, and the tax rate for Exxon was 41% in 2006 ($67.4 billion in taxable income, $27.9 billion in taxes).

As the Feds keep strangling business they will be getting less and less taxes. Oh, that is already happening. Companies don't make money they don't pay taxes. Think US automakers. No taxes for the last few years. Just leeches on the rest of US.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,325
    Exxon probably holds more assets than the bottom 50% of taxpayers combined :sick:
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Then you should become an owner (stockholder).

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,325
    Who says I'm not? :P

Either way, nobody should feel sorry for that company.
  • Options
    " GM was building a diesel engine for the chassis the Escalade uses. It would have nearly doubled the MPG out on the highway. It was canceled because the cost of meeting the regulations is too stiff."

So why is VW able to meet the regulations? GM seems to be willing to make a Tahoe Hybrid. How much does that cost over the regular gasoline version?

http://www.timesleader.com/news/Can_diesel_pass_dirty_reputation__08-09-2009.htm- l

"Count Bob Lutz, General Motors Co.’s outspoken design czar, among diesel’s detractors....He said in a Web chat earlier this month that diesel isn’t the focus of GM’s technology strategy, pointing out that extra costs, including emissions controls, comes to about $6,000 per vehicle with only a 20 percent improvement in mileage."

What gives? What other costs and how much are they? The Volkswagen Touareg TDi and MB 320 TDi are not $6,000 more than the gasoline counterpart. I thought the rule of thumb was 20 to 40% improvement for diesels depending on the application.

Diesels do decrease CO2 emissions relative to gasoline engines. And, with diesel prices at about the same as gasoline they do have a decent payback. The arguments made by Lutz do not seem to add up.
  • Options
    "You're assuming it's a green bill not an economic stimulus bill."

Probably true. I noticed that the local Toyota dealer lot looked like a ghost town today. They reported their best July sales ever - that might explain the lack of cars.
  • Options
    "You want Putin drilling off our coast, I do not, simple as that."

They are going to do it anyway. How would you stop them drilling off Cuba?

'Anyone that cares about the environment would not want Russia or China drilling 40 miles off our coast."

Not to worry, a 3.5 meter sea level rise will increase the distance from our coast to the oil rigs by a good 50 miles. :shades:

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/effects/coastal/slrmaps_sa_fl.html

We really do need a "Bob Newhart" sarcasm icon. :) Steve, can you get on that right away?
  • Options
    Of late, some of the more penetrating questions.

"I thought the rule of thumb was 20 to 40% improvement for diesels depending on the application."

As an observation, the 09 gasser VW Jetta is rated @ 24 mpg C, the TDI is @ 38 mpg C, the TDI being 58% better.
  • Options
    We really do need a "Bob Newhart" sarcasm icon. Steve, can you get on that right away?

Best suggestion I've heard all year. :shades:

And we do have a "Bob" here we can harass all day... oh Bob. He does a good M*A*S*H* impersonation too. No Emily's though.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Count Bob Lutz, General Motors Co.’s outspoken design czar, among diesel’s detractors....

Yes, he is a fine example of someone who makes really, really, good decisions...NOT! ;)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    So why is VW able to meet the regulations? GM seems to be willing to make a Tahoe Hybrid. How much does that cost over the regular gasoline version?

I'm going to say German engineering vs GM engineering. Has Lutz and company done anything of note but lose money in the last 20+ years? Right today a Jetta TDI with tax credit is less than the comparable gas version. It has more torque and many are getting up to 50 MPG.

If Lutz is proud of the Tahoe Hybrid he needs to have a reality check. Any new Tahoe will get 20 MPG on the highway. That is what the Tahoe hybrid is rated at. The non hybrid is rated 8200 lbs towing vs the hybrid at 6000 lbs. One of the main reasons given for buying a big SUV is towing. All that for a cool $10,000 more. Some deal. Many folks with the Chevy Duramax get 22-24 MPG and it is a fire breathing engine.

A 6 cylinder diesel is all that is needed in a half ton rig. No one is coming to the plate so everyone continues to buy what is available. Maybe India or China will show Detroit how it is done. That is if the Feds don't continue to protect their gas guzzling trucks.
  • Options
    Any new Tahoe will get 20 MPG on the highway. That is what the Tahoe hybrid is rated at.

How's it do in town though? The hybrids all do better in town than on the highway.
  • Options
    Not so good. Though I think the jury is out on in town mileage for the Tahoe Hybrid. Has anyone posted their mileage. Not my idea of a town rig. Still $10 grand will buy a lot of gas for those times in town. It would buy about 9 years worth of gas for my Sequoia. I am averaging 400 gallons a year. I spent $1133.72 for gas in the Sequoia for all of 2008. Much of that was $4 + per gallon.

When hybrids match utility and are cost effective I will consider one again. My experience was less than positive.

PS
    There is 2 people posted on fueleconomy for their GMC hybrids. One is getting 16 MPG the other 19 MPG mostly highway driving. It would take a couple hundred years with only 1 MPG gain to pay the $10 grand difference. I want no less than 30 MPG highway in a mid to large SUV. When they get those I will part with some more cash. Until then the auto industry can die for all I care.
This discussion has been closed.