Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Tundra vs the Big 3 Continued IV

meredithmeredith Posts: 577
edited March 2014 in Toyota
This topic is a continuation of Topic 2190....

Tundra vs the Big 3 Continued III. Please
continue these discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• bcobco Posts: 756
    first post. 'bout time after 2 years!!!

bco
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Silverado topic.....LOL

Dean
  • I have always been a Toyota Fan when it came to their Tocama's and their sports car and of course, their known reliability. Well, I saw a Tundra Ext. Cab V8 today up close, it looks nice but compared to the other Big three, it was definitely smaller inside and out. The rear seat could barely accommodate a person 6' foot. The physical size was slightly smaller also. I would only buy the Toyota for the Lexus derived DOHC 4.7L V8, it's supposed to be a great engine, the styling and the space inside is definitely a downfall. The Chevy offers a lot more room inside and both Ford and Chevy are also known for their outstanding engine reliability. One further point, stay away from Dodge, it's the only truck on the market that would scare me to own one, they seem to be a problem waiting to happen.
  • ovalleyovalley Posts: 135
    Don't be to sure on a Chrysler Minivan getting better gas mileage than a truck. My wife has a Chy T&C with 3.8L and she's lucky if she gets even the same mileage I do with my ext cab 5.3L 2wd. Her van started out at 15.5 mpg and after about 4000 miles is getting about 17.5 mpg. I get 18.5 to 19.0 mpg in the truck.
  • swobigswobig Posts: 634
    the minivan I'm getting has the 3.8L engine. 15 is all I'm able to get with my truck - that's a mix of city/highway. I'm hoping for 22 with the mini - rated 17/24. If I could get 18.5-19 like you get I'd keep the truck, but it's not going to happen...
  • I've got a Dodge GC with the 3.8L engine and routinely get 22-24 mpg on a trip. More like
    16-17 in town. Just don't believe the computer readouts (they're typically better than reality) and compute the mileage the old fashioned way.
    that's what I was hoping for. Everybody keeps telling me not to get one, but I've had good luck with Dodge's. Have a 97 Intrepid with the 3.5L V-6 that is perfect. Gets 29 on the highway and is strong. Had a couple other Dodges that were real good also, so hopefully this one will follow suit. I honestly can't find a better deal and I've negotiated at 7 different dealers and looked at 4 others...
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    This comes from a Dodge owner I work with - they are his words not mine. "The best thing about Dodge is they will never be stolen". He had a Honda Accord, a chevy PU, and a Toyota all ripped off in a three year period. He has been driving Dodge cars and trucks for the last 5 years without loosing one yet. He thinks either they are to ugly to steal or the thief would be worried that the car would break down while he was stealing it.
    You have a wise friend...if I was worried or lived in a high crime area, I'd buy a Dodge also.
    wonder why Accords are stolen so often?? There nice, but I'd set my sights on something even better...
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    They are stolen for parts. My old S-10 was almost stolen 3 times. The last time was just for the cap.

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Posts: 4,162
    ...is like putting slicks on a Yugo....

but you are right...I see the same thing here...they take cheap cars and add exausts, fins and who knows what else....I just giggle my [non-permissible content removed] off...gimme the old Chevelle and I'll show ya what real power is kids....

- Tim
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    Where they took a stock Civic, added some doodads, and it blew away a STOCK mustang GT in the quarter. It's up to you whether or not you want to believe it. I don't believe everything I read, even if I want to.
    ANything is possible. Ligenfelter took a 00 silverado 2500 added some corvette parts (using that term loosely i dont know exxactly what) and a supercharger (40K in mods) and it did 0-60 in 4.68 seconds. Would blow alot of stuff away

Mustangs are slow anyways ask tim he has one he would know. haha

Ryan
    make that a twin turbo. 12 sec 1/4 mile.

Dean
    I just picked up the Van, sorry no more truck. It was nice, but...oh well. Hot rod Civic just doesn't appeal to me. It's just a little tin can on wheels. Geeze, if you hit something it would probably break in half.

I have a few parts that I kept off my Silverado. Hypertech programmer, Granadelli (sp?) MAF sensor, and Airaid filter system. If anybody is interested please e-mail me at [email protected]
    for Denali...ran into a Chemical Engineer who works for the Navy looking for oil for his son's Honda. He told me that his son (17) just blew the motor racing and cost him $2500 to replace. Not to mention the other doodads on the car. Had suspension, exhaust, intake redone. Put over $10,000 in a car that's worth maybe $2000. Hmmm...I guess if you've got the money.....
    i get a nice discount at kmart 10%

man my discounts really add up

Ryan
  • I think you'll enjoy your van. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of mini-vans (or Chrysler
    products), I have to say that we have experienced minimal mechanical problems with the two Dodge's we have owned. In addition, it's hard to beat the convenience of being able to transport seven people, or remove some seats and haul most anything you want. And, at 22-24 mpg.
    isn't my thing either...My dad has had very good records with his past 4 Caravans/Town Country's

They are the originator of them...

Good luck

- Tim
  • mrurlmrurl Posts: 116
    As I understand it, this is a new NHRA class. Reasonably inexpensive to get into, and the kids are eating it up.

Peter
    about Honda and NHRA that just don't go togetehr in my books....ya know?

Kinda like Polo and 40 ouncers....or yuppy's and hunting.....

- Tim
  • honda and nhra?? OK theres a 'n', 'h', and 'a' in both but beyond that???

DJ's from the rock station were at the track racing this weekend and OK they had mustangs but niether had posi (one wonders why not, the one wheel peel was a joke) and if that wasnt bad enough kias were up next!! We went back to the pits laughing at how many minutes it would take for the kias to run.
  • In the 1/4 mile
    I just can't see driving something like that every day, I'll stick with the Intrepid. The only thing that scares me is the tranny. I've heard a lot of horror stories about them. Just had the Intrepid tranny serviced at 60K miles, and it was just fine. Thinking of doing the van at 20K, just to be safe, and while it's under warranty. But overall it's a nice van. We looked at Chevy, Mazada, and others and Dodge has many features the others don't. We liked the Honda, but it's hard to get a deal on one. Never really considered the Toyota - hehehe. As you can guess I'm not a Toyota fan (why I follow this topic so much)...:-)
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    hehe why oh why swobig.. haha
  • I've been away for awhile,busy working but I did buy a new computer,now I've got a new screenname and I'm ready to rumble.
  • The Caravan is the wife's as well. It's
    a 1997 GC LE with the 3.8L and all options.
    It's got nearly 90k and the only problems have been water pump (at 80k), front brakes/rotors
    (we live in mountains), and the passenger electric door locks (twice). Drive train has been outstanding (knock on wood).
    drivers is when I change lanes not seeing them. don't really hear that excsue for a horn either...LOL!!! Three months ago, I seen a red Acura GSR flying past me at over 100 mph followed by two police cycles giving chase. Well, a couple of miles down the road, had to get off the freeway as it was shutdown. The acura was a hunk of metal after bouncing off the median and rolling. Don't think the driver made it...good to go fast...just learn how to drive it first.
  • Check this one out. RealMedia video player needed for playback. Get it at http://www.real.com if you haven't already got it:

1/4 Mile shootout: Ferrari 360 Modena vs. Honda CIVIC

Look at THAT holeshot.
This discussion has been closed.