Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Tundra vs the Big 3 Continued IV

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    the giveaway was the 80.7 mil. Who gets that for misstating towing specs?
  • I, for one, wouldn't mind at all! Darm, there goes a perfectly good lawsuit....
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    80.7 mil for my full size Tundra but actually almost the same measurements as the mid size Dakota hehe...
  • rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Posts: 1,006
    There's no way 80 million was given and I'm sure the Ram tows more than 5000lbs. Is Toytunone another one of dbhull/f-150roll's persona's?
  • who was disappointed. Listen carefully. Hear that wooooossssshhhhh sound? That's the collective release of held breath from thousands of lawyers who thought they saw a wonderful opportunity! Life can be cruel sometimes.... ;-)
  • swobigswobig Posts: 634
    somebody posts something weird and everybody jumps on it!! Hehehe - and what's with all the posts being axed?? Man, you hardly say anything and get the whammy.

BTW, Caravan is working out nice. Definately doesn't have the power of "the truck" though...
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Posts: 324
    hope you get another rig someday.. I don't think I'll ever drive a car again.. or at least own one.. or might own one but still have a truck..
    I'm sorry to have doubted you. It's just that there are so many outrageous claims in this forum, I've become a skeptic. Again, real sorry about wondering if you might be the "chamealeon" F150rolls AKA......etc.
    I followed your link...and still can't find the article. Could you help me out on this one? Thanks.
  • Truth is an elusive thing and you think yourself very clever in the "creation" of same, I suppose. As you know, the article isn't there. I suppose you thought that either we wouldn't check or that somehow you would become somebody important by playing such games and getting us to look ("Made you look!"). When you get out of junior high, check back....
  • The link is to a search of Bloomberg news. You keep paging through articles using "more articles" at the bottom of the page until you get to Sept.18, then start looking at the titles. I'm sorry I don't feel free to cut and paste the entire article but it is copyrighted on the Houston Chronicle and archives are only available to subscribers, and Bloomberg will only sell their copyrighted archives to the public. For all you budding lawyers out there, this is what happens to you if you don't settle out of court and get a gag order, this was a jury trial. DaimlerChrysler's director of public affairs Mike Aberlich admitted they'd erred in saying the Dodge Ram could pull such weights.
  • You should learn to research. You live in Dallas, this jury trial happened last week in McKinney, TX. Why don't you just drive over there and find out. Or make a phone call to someone over there. The litigants were from Ann Arbor, Michigan, which is odd.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I couldnt find the article either

Ryan
    Got to hit more articles about eight or nine times and you'll find the beginning of the article.
  • Regarding the court case on Dodge Ram

http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/plano/173601_verdict_20pla..html

The original article had some of the facts different.
  • I humbly apologize for doubting you. I could not turn up any other on line source with the same story possibly due to search engine shortcomings on their sites or my inadequate searching techniques/tricks. I also had a great deal of trouble finding the article on the Bloomberg site even after others said they had seen it. I even tried the Dallas Morning News and found nothing for Daimler or Dodge (obviously I didn't try Chrysler!).

Thank you for the link. I have a call in to their Business/Transportation reporter for more info.

Once again, please accept my apology for saying that you made the whole thing up. I was wrong and I'm sorry.
    This lawsuit brings up another controversy. Ever since the Tundra was introduced, big 3 owners have been slamming it for various reasons. One being that it doesn't come in the 2500, 3500 load ratings. Now it's been shown that even the Biggest, baddest 3500 Dodge couldn't handle the 8000lbs horse trailers. I've seen several posts about towing 6000+ trailers with the wimpy Tundra half ton. All have commented on good experiences with the Tundra.
  • I should have waited until I could post a better link. The original story said the truck wouldn't tow 5000 lb trailers and the truck is rated for 11,000 in the 3500 trim. I hope Dodge will fix the problem in the future or settle out of court instead of trying their luck with juries. Once again, "Crime doesn't pay" ;-))
    same problem with exaggerated towing specs for the Dakota. I remember a few disgruntled Dakota owners. I doubt that DC will pay the 80 mil. Probably tie it up in the courts for another millenium.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    80 some million was on the high side. I could see compensation for the lost money work and mental anguish (losing house and job) but 80 million come on thats RIDICULOUS.

Ryan
  • lariat1lariat1 Posts: 461
    I wonder what the salesman told those people and what the trailers are like that they were trying to tow.I have know doubt that a 3500 Ram can tow 8000# ....WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPPED if they were trying to tow an 8000# trailer on a standard receiver hitch it sounds like it is the customers fault.Now if they were having trouble with the truck and they were using a king pin and trailer brakes it sounds like the manufactures fault there are a lot of variables in the case and I am sure eventually it will all get worked out.
  • From the Dallas Morning News Article, Couple who won huge award says resolution was main goal (thanks again, toytunone, and sorry again!), it is obvious that this quickly grew from the "mole hill" of an overly enthusiastic towing ability claim into this "mountain" of law suit judgement because of the Dodge dealer's and DC's mishandling of the original complaint.

Regarding the towing abilities of the truck "The suit alleged that the Dodge Ram 3500 Club Cab pickup truck could not withstand towing the trailers that Mr. and Mrs. Sellers transported and sold. The Sellerses said the truck jerked forward and backward when it towed the trailers, which were within the weight limits the truck was supposed to be able to handle." This after "the dealership assured him the truck could tow up to 11,000 pounds, much more than the 8,000 to 9,000 pounds a typical trailer weighs."

"Because they could not tow the trailers, they said, their business failed. They said they had to pay other people to transport the trailers and eventually had to sell their inventory at a significant loss just to pay their bills, including the loan on the pickup."

The dealer/corporate reaction: "[Mike Aberlich, director of public affairs for DaimlerChrysler,] said the company admits it erred in saying the truck could handle the loads Mr. and Mrs. Sellers needed it to carry (emphasis mine), but he said the company also tried to remedy the mistake." However, their offer "to get him a flatbed truck" "was unacceptable because the company asked [Mr. Sellers] to pay the difference in cost between the two trucks, about $5,000 – money he didn't have." So basically they sold him on a truck that wouldn't do what they said it would and then wanted to "make things right" by selling him even more truck.

It seems obvious to me that they should have given him -- at no further charge -- the truck that would in fact do what he was promised. If they had done that then this would be a non-story and they could even claim to be thoroughly customer-oriented by standing behind their claims (while quickly, of course, adjusting their claims for the pickup to be more honest and appropriate!).

As is often the case in such situations, a company poised on the knife edge between the lush valley of the heroes and the barren crevasse of the villains, chooses the short-sighted "cheap" route (really very, very expensive in the long run!) and tumbles off the precipice on the villain side. They basically took an unexpected (and not very welcome) opportunity and blew it big time. It is almost impossible to climb back out of that pit. Ask Firestone....
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    What I don't understand about this whole deal is that the 3500 Dodge can and does tow 11,000# trailers all the time. Look in the campgrounds at what is pulling these large fifth wheels.
  • Juries...don't drive trucks.
  • the company that makes them does! Note the quote from the article cited earlier: "[Mike Aberlich, director of public affairs for DaimlerChrysler,] said the company admits it erred in saying the truck could handle the loads Mr. and Mrs. Sellers needed it to carry (emphasis mine)..."

The article does not specify the exact setup they were sold, but it is telling that they were offered a bigger (I assume, though that has gotten me in trouble before!) flat bed truck that would handle their needs. Ya got me!
  • swobigswobig Posts: 634
    yeah, I'd like to see a Tundra towing a 6000# trailer against a Dodge one ton towing 8000#'s. I hate to make a judgement on this case, but it sounds to me as though the people who bought the truck didn't know what they were doing in the first place. I'm sure you could put 4000# on a truck and do damage, if not done properly. Keep dreaming on the Tundra outpulling anything except maybe my garden tractor...hehehe
    Let's see Dodge 3500 can't pull 8000lbs and Daimler Chrysler(you know, the foreign owned company)has to fork out 80+million dollars.
    Even the Dodge representatives were forced to admit they lied about the trucks capabilities. So why is it the owners fault?

"I'd like to see a Tundra towing a 6000#
    trailer against a Dodge one ton towing 8000#'s."

The Tundra has been put to use pulling 6000lbs trailers with good reviews by the owners, so what's your point on this?
  • mrurlmrurl Posts: 116
    what kind of trailers these people were making. I'll bet they are like the ones I used to see at the Houston horse show when I lived there. These trailers are 30+ feet long and are normally pulled by light dual axle semi's. Admittedly, four horses adds a lot of weight, but even empty they have very high hitch weight (2000+). That kind of trailer should never be pulled by a one ton truck, and the salesman should have known that.

Peter
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    Don't underestimate that garden tracter of yours.
    "Don't underestimate that garden tracter of yours"
    Yep, especially when comparared to a Dodge 3500! ;)
This discussion has been closed.