Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra vs the Big 3 Continued IV

Comments

• rwellbaum2rwellbaum2 Member Posts: 1,006
    The skidplate on my Tundra is definetly metal and weighs about 30lbs. Why do you think your skidplate is plastic? I used to change the oil from underneath until I discovered it can easily be reached from above. Take a look next time you pop the hood. You need to put some rags under it or the residual fluid will spill on top of the skid plate when you unscrew the filter. Good luck!
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    I stated a fact - you did change your identity and you admit it. I said nothing else. You seem to be mighty defensive about it though. It makes me wonder - could you be F150rules?

You said you changed from werking for "ideological reasons". I guess you guys just forgot.

No problems with my Tundra armrest and my father in law has both legs and good speech.

First it was "Tundra dicks" and now it is "tundrats" Maybe we can talk trucks after you get through puberty. Good Luck!
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    you caught me. i AM f150rules. the secret's out! LOL

glad to hear you're father-in-law has both legs and your armrest is in good shape. you're not one of many tundra owners (does tundra owners make you feel better? there there now) who modifies how they sit in the cab to avoid putting "undue stress and strain" on your armrest, are you?

oh, and as for the name deal. i don't know what gives you the idea i'm so "defensive" about it. YOU are the one who brings it up each time you address me. and i simply explain AGAIN why i changed it. hopefully before long, we can put this to rest (read: bama will drop it). i changed my name after receiving less than polite communication from someone who apparently didn't appreciate my comments here. is that so difficult to understand? those were my "ideological reasons".

now then, just think, if you can get past the fact that i changed my name, maybe YOU can begin to talk trucks...as i have been all along.

bco

ps...and no, i don't know who it was, and no, they didn't email me. i consider these forums to be mostly educational, at least entertaining. when what you have to say leaves the context of this forum, i don't need to deal with you anymore. again, that's why i changed, and frankly, that's pretty unfortunate if you ask me.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    cuz he is the

Beer
    Consumtion
    Officer!!

LOL

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    yep and dont forget who got that ball rolling tim

Ryan
  • swobigswobig Member Posts: 634
    rob,

I dropped the Dodge towing thing because it's like talking to a brick wall. No, I did not read the article (because I'm too cheap to pay for it). No matter what it says, I know a one ton Dodge can tow 8000#. Use your head rob - if your wussy Tundra can tow 7200# then a bigger/heavier duty Dodge can tow more - is that so hard to understand? You can spout off that Dodge admitted this or that, but how about a little common sense. Tundra dicks? Now that's funny - I always liked Tundra TuRD. But that's not really my style...
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    I'm every bit as cheap as you say you are. This Dallas Morning News story is free Couple who won huge award says resolution was main goal. All it will cost you to read it is a few minutes of time. If you won't spend that then you have no business talking about it. Check the facts as stated in the article. Here, I'll save you a little bit of time (but feel free to check up on my veracity):

"...the dealership assured [Jesse Sellers] the truck could tow up to 11,000 pounds, much more than the 8,000 to 9,000 pounds a typical trailer weighs."

"[Mike Aberlich, director of public affairs for DaimlerChrysler] said the company admits it erred in saying the truck could handle the loads Mr. and Mrs. Sellers needed it to carry, "

Now, tell us why you are more qualified to tell us the facts than the director of public affairs for DaimlerChrysler....
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I'm not agreeing with either side here, but one of many things we don't know is this: How was this truck supposed to tow these loads? With a ball bolted to the bumper? Not!! I know it sounds stupid, but there are some stupid people out there.

Did these folks install the appropriate equipment required to tow these loads? We don't know that either, and we probably never will. Why? Because the media loves a good story and will take every chance it can to show how mom and pop make out against the big guy. To hell with the facts of the case. They don't have the space to print every minute detail.
    We don't have to guess: "[Mike Aberlich, director of public affairs for DaimlerChrysler] said the company admits it erred in saying the truck could handle the loads Mr. and Mrs. Sellers needed it to carry, " DaimlerChrysler themselves, in the person of their own representative, has stated that they were wrong in telling these people that the truck they were sold could do what they were told. How much clearer need it be?

Now, I'm not trying to rag on Dodge or build up my choice. But, when it's this clear....
    ...i could beat a dead horse. who cares already? yeah, ok, dodge screwed up, but i don't believe it's as cut and dry as that article states. i think the easiest way to cut through all the semantic bs you guys are posting is to say:
    which has a greater towing capacity, a tundra, or a dodge one ton? you have 5 minutes, begin work.

bco
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    that's a tough call...comparing a dodge with a toyota....LOL!!
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Is the Dodge running???

Does the Toyota have a blown head gasket???

Does the Toyota have anything solid that hasn't rusted out to attach the hitch to?????

We need more details for the pull off.
    ...all things holy you guys are picky! LOL

ok, 2001 tundra, fresh off the lot. 2001 dodge one ton with whatever set up you care for (2/4wd, reg/ext cab, long/short bed, etc...).

damn...yes, mod, the dodge IS running and for argument's sake (how else could it be with the tundrats, er, tundra owners) the tundra has every factory tow package option they can feasibly glue on it.

ok...2 of your minutes are gone, you now have 3 minutes...shut up and get back to work. LOL

bco
    perhaps i should change my name to prof? nah...that would mess bama up for the next six months. i'll stick with beer consumption officer... LOL
    "which has a greater towing capacity, a tundra, or
    a dodge one ton? you have 5 minutes, begin work."

Considering that the Dodge cannot pull it's advertised rating, the Tundra easily wins!
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    If that is the case I should have gotten a tundra that way when I put five 55gal barrels in the back of the truck and pull a 5000# boat with a tongue wieght of around 500# at the same time and then go up the haul road up here in Alaska (which is all unpaved and has hills of up to 15% grade)the truck will not even work..........
    Maybe not when I got up to the Yukon river the main things tat I saw towing boats were Ford SD's and Dodge 3/4 tons. Anybody who thinks a Tundra can haul more than a 1 ton Dodge is on DRUGS I dont care what anyone says.
    People really lack freaking common sense nowadays

Dodge wins hands down BCO. I think i get the prize for correctly answering your question

Ryan
    I read where Dodge accidentally put one of their old slant six gas engines in that 1 ton. One of the workers mistook it for a Cummins. It actually may have pulled the load but the diesel fuel really screwed up that old slant 6.
    The Tundra can ceratinly do that job. Recently, I drove up 30-45% incline over large boulders carrying 7 people, their gliders, equipment, etc. The Tundra didn't break a sweat. Matter a fact, the Ford 4x4 owner opted to come with me instead of scaring himself with his rollover happy truck.
    7 people? Ok thats enough truth stretching for today. Did some of those poeple (5 sit in the bed of the truck? Dont even say you got 5 people in the ext cab.

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you don't win the booby prize....cause you took longer than 5 minutes to answer the question...but hey, at least you did figure it out with the hint from lariat1...LMAO!!!!

Dean
    One time when I used to race MotoX I had 8.....no 9 dirt bikes AND their riders AND their girl friends in my regular cab Ranger AND I was towing 2 Toyotas(Toyoti?) to Indian Dunes Race Track in So. Calif. One of the Toys lost a wheel bearing while being towed at speeds it was never able to reach on its own. The early V6 Ranger was able to pull the Toys, seized wheel and all, almost 20......no 50 miles to our destination.

Yeah......that's the ticket.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Are you aware that one barrel of gasoline weighs right around 350#? that works out to 1750# I know the super sized rice grinder has a large payload but I dont think it is quite that high add on the 500# tongue weight of the boat trailer and you end up with either a fully loaded 3/4 ton with camper spring or a Tundra with bent leaf springs,broken shocks,and maybe even a bent frame.
    BTW the tundra is so popular up here they sent out flyers to everyone stating that if you buy a tundra you wont have any payments until march of 2001.I guess they are selling to many up here I think they have sold like 15 or maybe even 20 since they were introduced.With any luck someday it will rain like hell over the tundra assembly plant and the tundra will grow up into a real truck..like one of those funny looking domestics with that 8' bed AND the extended cab.
    I am not saying that the tundra is a bad truck it is just that toyota needs to figure out how to make a fullsized truck that can compete with the domestics otherwise the tundra is going to suffer the same fate as the T-100.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    LOL

heheheehhe

...It's been raining here real good lately....but teh Tundra is still small size...(whenever you get the rare chance to see one)

....The Tundra IS the T100!

- Tim
    Sorry tues night lost power due to the weather and yesterday i was at school all day so that really was answered in like a minute.

Rwell i am still wondering about this 7 passenger thing.

Ryan
    lariat1 came in ahead of you. not to mention, his essay was much more colorful than your simple answer. therefore, lariat1 wins the prize (i'm still working on exactly WHAT that is...) better luck next time ryan.

yawn...this is why i left this topic in the first place. no competition. say, after stirring up all that ruckus again, toyunone and bama sure left awful quick. hmm...well, figures.

leaving for the smokies tomorrow for a weekend of hiking and camping. you guys behave over the weekend this time would ya? LOL!

bco

ps: speaking of rain to make the tundra's grow, you'd think with all the shi...er, fertilizer these tundra owners spew 'round here that their trucks WOULD have grown SOME!!! LMAO
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    ...about this 45% hill!! I think he meant 45 degrees, NOT percent.
    no no no...can't you read??? tundras can do anything. OF COURSE it can do 45%! LMAO

bco
    Thats BS (haha just thinking of big daddy and when the kid kept beating rob schneider at cards)

Hows the tires??? Any significant difference???

I am still waiting on mine :(

Ryan
    just fine. no off-roading yet though. been too busy. no decrease in ride quality. i would say they're better actually, but that might be internal bias coming out as a result of being on anything but firestones...

bco
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    a 45% grade translates to 24 degrees.
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    So now you want to compare a midsize to a compact, ok. You really should compare the Tundra to the other V8 midsize, the Dakota, but anyway.

For the mileage numbers I was referring to the EPA numbers, not numbers GM owners made up.

Tell me how not having posi as on option is a good thing?

My S10:

Payload 1540 Towing 6000

Pretty good for a V6, I think. I dont have any 0-60 numbers for you but I'm sure you'll tell me its alot slower than your Tundra.

I get 22 mpg with my lead foot and just under 26 on long trips, even with the air on.

And I dont have, want or need a 4WD, even with Chicago winters.

I'm not gonna drive a Tundra, no thanx, for my next truck its either another S10 or a Silverado.
    Wait! Hold on! I wasn't here for an even better excuse than ryan (I'll tell you as soon as I figure out what it was).

Funny though, since I am not all that conversant with the specs on these different trucks (I'm a yuppie new truck owner remember) and since I am coincidentally anal retentive (look it up if you're not sure, it doesn't mean what some of you are thinking, thank you very much!), I actually went to look at the manufacturer web sites to see what they claim about their vehicles.

While I don't have the results fully analyzed yet (I'm supposed to be getting some work done here too, and I'm kidding about the analysis anyway ;-)), I did notice one odd thing. I found towing capacity figures for Ford, Toyota, and Chevy (Toyota and Chevy are using frames, so you have to click down to the appropriate detail page). Strangely though, Dodge, on a their Ram Pickup Towing and Payload page lists no towing figures at all, even though the titles indicate they are included. Apparently they have actually removed the towing figures from their web page. I guess they are taking this lawsuit seriously enough....

Again, I am no Toyota apologist. I bought the F-150. And I have admitted repeatedly that I don't, and most likely won't, tow. But Dodge appears to have done exactly what others more knowledgeable than I have accused them of doing. They really seem to have overstated their towing capacities. That doesn't make them worse than a Tundra. It does make them less than honest and somewhat suspect, IMHO.

Oh, sorry. I forgot that we are only supposed to ridicule each other here and avoid stating any real facts. I'll try to conform....
  • ratboy3ratboy3 Member Posts: 324
    definitely plastic skid plate.. tugged on it and bent like a plastic material would.. tapped it with a wrench and sounded like how a plastic material would.. I noticed you we over rocks and stuff.. must be because you have a 4WD.. mine is 2WD.. maybe thats why the plastic skid plate on mine.. for looks?
    that was a really nice post. it took up a lot of space and didn't really say anything. amazing. i'll modify the question for you now too.

given the following parameters:

1. you're given a brand new, off the lot tundra with every feasible factory towing option.
    2. you're also given a brand new, off the lot dodge 3500 (with the 5.9L V8 that, from what i read, appears to be the smallest engine available in the 3500) with every feasible factory towing option.
    3. you ARE a betting person who's goal is to win any and every bet you make (yes, this is one of the parameters).
    4. you ARE going to place a wager on which has a greater towing capacity (this is also one of the parameters).

which of the two vehicles do you lay your money on?

bco

you know, i'm not even sure why i bother. i give a rip about either truck...
    Now, now, you know that I agree with you in how much to care about either truck: not at all! ;-) Obviously, I would bet on the Dodge (and my wife would encourage it; she is the gambler in the family). No bones about it. Of course, I would still point out that the Tundra looked so much nicer while it was losing! ;-) A matter of taste, I realize....

The only reason I keep up with this at all is.... Gee, now I wonder why I really do keep up with this.... Oh yeah, I remember. The only reason I keep up with this is because so many are so adamantly opposed to the Tundra (probably due to overly zealous stuff coming from their adherents), that they won't even acknowledge that Dodge screwed this thing up big time. Not just the over-inflated claims (although I acknowledge that it is certain that their real towing figures would still beat the Tundra), but also their mishandling of the complaint leading to the highly expensive (in dollars and, more importantly, in PR losses) loss in court.

I also freely admit that Ford did just as badly with their handling of some customer complaints in recent years and they did so on a much wider scale (One example: remember head gaskets on 95 Windstars?). I only hope they really have learned their lesson.
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    The horse trailers these people were making are not designed to be pulled by any pickup - even empty. They are designed to be pulled by a light semi with dual rear axles and 8 HD truck tires.

Why? You might ask. There are a couple of reasons.

These are fifth wheel trailers, but they are not like big mobile homes. Mobile homes have a post that connects to the hitch below the bedrails. These trailers are more like semi trailers - flat across at the level of the pin. In order to avoid having the trailer rest on the bed rails, the hitch has to be elevated above the bedrails, which is also higher than the trailer is designed to ride. Very unstable.

A house trailer's axles are positioned near the trailer balance point so the weight on the hitch is about 1000 lbs. The dual (or sometimes triple) axles on these trailers are positioned about 2/3 of the way back because this is where the horses go. (Put 4 1800 lb horses behind the axles and there will be negative weight on the hitch.) The result is a hitch weight of as much as 3500 lbs.

Given those two factors, I'm not surprised it didn't work out.

A more appropriate vehicle for them would have been in the F450 class with a flat bed so the hitch could be mounted at the proper level. For towing with horses F650 or F750 class crewcab with a short flat bed is the minimum.

Peter
    All of which supports that customer's point that Dodge sold the wrong thing and then not dealt with well to correct the situation....

We, as consumers, should not have to verify independently each claim a manufacturer or its representatives make for their product. They should stand behind their claims and be held accountable if they do not. That's what the court decision is saying.
    Yep! Seven people. 5 up front and 2 in back with the gear. It was a hot day so I opened the slider window to let the A/C cool down the guys in the back. I'm sure you can probably do that with your Silverado...right? ;)
    You have stated all sorts of disclaimers for Dodge in regards to the lawsuit. Do you have a link that backs up your claims? Are you just siding against the consumers in this case, because the Dodge company really, truly cares about each and every one of us and would never, ever lie.
    I typed a % instead of degrees...my bad! To save confusion I'll just say...it was really steep! ;)
    Insert Toyota for dodge in the lawsuit and you would be the first to jump on the bandwagon against the company. However, when it's one of your "do-no-wrong" domestic brands in the hot seat, your the first to lamblast the consumer. For shame, Kyle!
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    On my drive home from work tonight I saw 2 broken down Rams. (Sam Houston toll road in Houston). That is not that unusual - but here is the killer - the tow truck that was trying to help one of the broken down trucks was also stalled in the middle of the road. A second tow truck (also a Ram) was trying to hook onto the first wrecker. I guess these wrecker guys take care of their own first. 4 Dodges (3 broken) all lined up and blocking traffic - what a site.
    I didnt say a thing about the degrees issue. I have no disputes with that. Someone else was talking about that.

My thing is 5 people up front??? No my silverado cant do that thank god. I have bucket seats only 2 up front. Hmmm do you have a bench seat??? Im just trying to figure this out. If you have a bench i guess its possible i have had 4 people in a reg cab S-10 before. 5 people with bucket seats would be impossible.

Ryan
    Your scaring me. I realize you may not like the Tundra's back seat but...
    I also have capt chairs or I could have put 6 in the cab and 1 in the back of the truck.
    I also mentioned it was really hot out that day and the 2 people riding in the bed of the truck appreciated the flow of cold air through the slider. Is this what you mean when you said your Silverado "can't do that"?
    5 people in the front seat with buck seats??? Anyone think this is possible???

Cause im not believing this one. This is about as good as the tundra out towing a one ton dodge ram.

"cant do it" - what i meant by that was have 5 people up front. I could fit 6 people comfortable in my silverado (2 in front and 4 in back ive done this) and no one would have to ride in the back to keep "cool". Air vents in the rear. Does your tundra have these???

Ryan
    ryan,
    he means: 2 in front buckets, 3 across bench of ext cab, and 2 "in the back" means in the bed. for a total of 7. i'm sure the 3 on the extended cab bench were commenting the whole way up how "vast and comfortable" it was back there too right? uh huh...pour another one...

bco
    that should read "ended UP buying..."

bco
    no, rwell, i don't have a slider in my 'rado, the ac keeps the inside cool all by itself. LOL.

"Insert Toyota for dodge in the lawsuit and you
    would be the first to jump on the bandwagon against the company. However, when it's one of your "do-no-wrong" domestic brands in the hot seat, your the first to lamblast the consumer. For shame, Kyle!"

uh, well, no. but it sure is a good thing YOU don't do things like that! LMAO. lamblast? what is lamblast...hmmm...gonna go get a dictionary. pretty desperate if you're putting words (especially those that don't exist) in my mouth rob.

say, long-term test of tundra by automobile magazine revealed that they didn't care for the cloth seats. said it pulled like "velcro" on their clothes and that it retained more dirt, pet hair, and junk than anything else. they ended buying after market seat covers to remedy the situation. combine that with the armrest panels wearing out too quickly and the interior materials in your tundra don't seem to be quite so "top notch", eh? or is automobile magazine not in the "top ten" reading list of tundra owners?

bama? you're the comic book expert...any thoughts on this one???

bco
This discussion has been closed.